Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GM's triplets Venture, Silhouette, and Montana

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think this is the message:

kkollwitz Jun 1, 2003 5:22pm

There's another post over in the Montana discussion that suggests checking the grounds too.

Steve, Host
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    Let me add that even if you get the mechanism all nicely lubed, you may still find the arms sticking up when you turn the wipers off because the mechanism has gotten out of phase. What ya gotta do is turn the ignition key to accessory, run the wipers on intermittent, then turn the key off when the wipers pause (which should incorrectly be "up" instead of "down"). Then take the crank arm off the wiper motor, manually set the wipers "down" where they're supposed to be during the pause (don't let the motor turn when you do this), retighten the crank, then turn the wipers on again. That ought to reset them. Put briefly, the governing circumstance is when the wipers are pausing between strokes when the wipers are set to intermittent.
  • dave231dave231 Member Posts: 17
    Well,my transmission needed only some new solenoids. Also, I know some of you have had smelly a/c's. What I think the problem is a/c water leaking down behind carpet, I have been fighting this problem for some time now.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good news about the solenoids.

Try the technique listed in this thread for your A/C:

wwest "Mazda Tribute/ Ford Escape problems" Aug 8, 2002 1:55pm

Steve, Host
  • olds2000azolds2000az Member Posts: 2
    I have 2000 Olds silhouette. The passenger side side view mirror has cracked and I am wondering if anyone on this board have any experience in replacing the side view mirror. The mirror housing itself is fine and I just need to get information as to how to replace the mirror itself if possible by the owner. The dealer is asking $100 for the job.
    I replaced the mirror on my Crown Vic a few years ago. I pried the cracked mirror off (either used a screwdriver or just pulled on it),and the new mirror popped onto two screw-driven adjusters (one for up/down, one for r/l). The mirror cost about $15 and took maybe 10 minutes to install.
  • jrdwyerjrdwyer Member Posts: 168
    Auto windshield shops will do this repair for a lower price than the dealer. I had one done for a sideview mirror on an Olds Delta 88 for $20. Granted, the van's sideview is larger and will cost a little more. If the mounting is similar to the 88's mounting, meaning a solid surface, it is just a matter of glueing a pre-cut mirror to the surface and using some blue tape until the glue dries.
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    I like the new Sienna, MPV, and T&C and Grand Caravan better but these triplets take a respectable 4th place out of about nine minivans (Odyssey, Euro Van, Windstar, new Quest, Caravan/Voyager lag behind) in my ratings. In 1996-1999, these minivans were my favorite.
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    My 01 Venture was in the shop for an A/C system repair. The condenser had developed a large leak and need to be replaced. It was done under my extended warranty, thank goodness $790 repair cost me $100 deductible.
    At any rate the shop said they were supprised GM hasn't issued a recall on this part, because they see it as a common problem on these vans. I was suprised because I hadn't heard any discussion here about it. Anyone else had similar problems?
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    Since the condenser sits in the front of the vehicle and is exposed to what ever is thrown at it, I tend to believe that it was just hit by a rock or something else. If the repair shop told you that this is a common problem then you should ask them to put that in writing and contact GM. Why should you have to pay the deductible of $100.00 if this is a known problem? I have dealt with GM on other repair matters and they have always treated me fairly.

Remember, before you contact GM know what you want them from them and conduct the conversation in an adult manner. Compromise is the art of negotiation not anger. Good Luck.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    just4fun2, good advice on how to deal with GM (or anyone).

Generally, GM will not do a post warranty goodwill payment on a repair covered by an extended service plan. Thinking is, that they would ask the owner to contribute to the cost of repair anyways, so they would have paid anyways.
    Yes, I agree that they will always ask you to pay something for a repair, but I would point out the fact that I am already paying part of the repair bill (by purchasing the extended maintenance agreement )and to pay the deductible for a problem that this vehicle is known to have across the board is unacceptable. They will never put their best offer on the table first, they want to leave some wiggle room for later.

Also, the dealer is usually no help and forget those telephone numbers in the owners manual. I go online and look up the names and addresses or phone numbers of the people at the top of the company. I write a letter or fax it to them and wait for the results, maybe I am just lucky but it works for me.
  • jarrettwjarrettw Member Posts: 14
    Good morning all, I have a 98 Silo GLS with the factory alarm. Recently, for no apparent reason, the alarm will sound. I went through the manual and decreased the system sensitivity but it hasn't helped. Has anyone else had this problem. Any information is greatly appreciated.
  • pkciccopkcicco Member Posts: 13
    And I thought it was only me. My 98 GLS and my 2001 GLS both had the same problem. They just go off in the middle of the night. 5 Beeps and stop. Well on the fourth visit to the dealer with the 98, a different mechanic went right to the contact points on the power sliding door, cleaned the contacts and the problem stopped. When my 2001 started doing it after the first year, I cleaned the contacts with WD40 and it stopped. Hope it works for you.
  • tauberjtauberj Member Posts: 61
    Hi, I have a 2000 Silhouette with a buzzing turn signal. I bought a new one from the dealer, but cannot locate it under the dash. I assume it is behind the guage cluster or there abouts because that is where the buzzing comes from. Has anyone had this happened to them to confirm my diagnosis. If so, how do I get to it to change it. Thanks. PS I has the lower dash panel and left-side panel off, but still could not locate the flasher unit. I think it is on top of the column.
    This is out of my 2002 Silhouette manual....Yours being a 2000 might be different.

Turn Signal/Hazard Flasher Module is....Below the IP(instrument panel),above the base of the steering column, left side of the steering column. It looks like it is on top of the steering column under the dash. If you can hear it buzzing, then I think you should be able to feel it under there while it is buzzing. I make no claim as to the accuracy of these instructions, use at your own risk. Good luck.
  • tauberjtauberj Member Posts: 61
    Thanks for your repsonse. That sounds about right, but I cannot see or feel it. I remember a time when the flasher was located next to the fuse panel on cars. But those simpler days are past I guess. I'll give it another try.
  • jarrettwjarrettw Member Posts: 14
    Paul, thanks. I'll give it a try tonight. jarrett
  • 4wheeler54wheeler5 Member Posts: 5
    We have had our Venture for about a week after getting it used (120K) I am fairly happy so far except for a couple of things - I'm getting a hesitation and slight "bucking" feeling from the engine when excelerating or at cruising speeds (all speeds) feels like the engine is missing but suspecting its a dirty fuel injector. Any thoughts? Last thing , and its minor is the passengers arm rest sits too low as if it was foced down or sat upon at one time. I'm hoping I can take it apart and have it "park" a couple of inches higher?
  • hhua1hhua1 Member Posts: 41
    2000 Silhouette with only 29,600 miles and 38 months of ownership has the driver side rear air shock that leaks oil/grease and needs to be replaced ($90 from dealer). GM would not pay for since the van is out of the 36 months bumper to bumper warranty, and shock is considered as normal wear and tear item. We have GM Major Guard plan but shock is not cover under the plan.

What a bummer to have the air shock replaced that early.

Also the van starts to have the famous loud tapping noise at start up, after sit overnight, but quiet after oil get fully circulated. Dealer considered this is normal for now.

The temperature gauge sometimes goes to the third knot (the one above the middle knot) when the air conditioner is not on. Dealer checked and said that the fan kick in between 224-226 degree, with the air conditioner on, and the coolant sensor is fine. I will have to monitor or test this when I have a chance.
    The GM Major Guard does list the shocks as a non-covered item, sorry that you missed that when you bought the plan. With 29,600 miles on a 2000 (almost 4 years old) it must be mostly city driving and that will wear the shocks out sooner than cruising down the highway.

Contact Chevorlet headquarters(find their names/numbers on the inter net, don't call the numbers in your owners manual) and tell them that you are not satisfied with this situation. They may split the cost with you, what do you have to lose at this point?
  • infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    i have a 02 venture 21,000 miles. a while ago, i wrote asking about clunking under the driver side and a "chain-type" rattling that sometimes accompanies it yet at other times they are separate. however, i believe they are related. they occur on moderate bumps. on the last dealer visit, it was returned after a 2 day visit "repaired". as i drove off the lot, the sounds were still there! i did have the service manager ride with me. he heard it. they better get it fixed this time! another intermittent problem is that when slowing to a stop light but not stopping completely, the light turns green so i stomp on it. well the engine revs then the transmission shifts down hard into first and squeals the wheels. someone in service had the nerve to tell me it was normal although they couldn't duplicate. apparently it's a "defense-mechanism" of the transmission. sounds like bs to me. anyone else have this happen? an extended warranty seems inevitable. thanks.
    stomp the throttle down and not expect the wheels to squeal and a harsh down shift into first gear? Your transmission is down shifting when you are coming to a stop. Since you are not stopped completely, the transmission is still in 2nd gear and by stomping the gas you are forcing it to downshift into first gear.

Advice...stop doing that or next you'll be here complaining about how you had to replace the transmission.

The dealer said he fixed the clank/rattling problem the first time. What did he fix? Help us by giving us a hint of his diagnosis.

Advice....find another dealer.
  • baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    1 years and 1/2 old Montana.First problem ever ,

I saw a fair good amount of water coming from the r/s sunvisor mounting bracket when braking, its maybe coming from the Roof rack ? what do you think, happenned to you before ?

Thanks
    It took me several years, but I figured out why there was always water under my front carpet. There is no drain tube from the AC fire wall to the ground, GM I guess though they do not need this but it causes water to back up in the AC and flood the under (yes under) the carpet. I checked my sisters transport, water.
    I would imagine this is the true cause of the smelly AC problem. Pop up you passenger side plastic kick plate and lift the carpet up, is there water? If you use the AC alot I am sure you will find several quarts of water under the carpet, probably growing mold and odor.
    I have a 2002 Silhouette and it has a tube that goes through the firewall and the water drips out that way. Are you saying you don't have a drain tube that runs outside through the firewall? You have to feel with your fingers to find it. But mine is there.

I have heard that if the drain tube gets clog or something like a bee builds a nest in it, that could clog it and the water will back up on the floor.
    There is just a little pipe coming out of the fire wall about 2 feet from the ground but no tube to the chassis. If you have 2002 maybe GM found this problem and fixed it. I bought the repair manual for 97-2002 transports/montana... and it even shows no drain tube down to the ground, just tube in the fire wal in which water is suposed to drip out of. Go figure.
    That is exactly what I have on my Silhouette and water does come out of that tube. I don't think that it is suppose to have a tube go to the ground. I am guessing that that tube coming through the firewall is near the bottom of the evaporator housing.

Again, if that tube is clogged the water will not be able to come out. Good Luck.
    Did you pull up the plastic plate covering the door jam(right where the door meets the body of the car, it holds the carpet down and makes the trim look nice) pull that up, it is held down with friction clamps. Then lift the carpet, if you use the AC alot in a humid environment (ie:FL), I am sure you will see water? That's my theory anyway. Anyone else out there brave enough to look??
  • grabes2ndgrabes2nd Member Posts: 1
    I RECENTLY WAS TOLD MY VAN NEEDED NEW BRAKE PADS AND ROTORS. IT ONLY HAS 18,000 MILES AND I AM LIVID THAT THEY WILL NOT COVER THIS UNDER WARRANTY. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM?
    My 99 Venture front rotors & pads needed replacing around 25k. Car has 70k, it's on its 3rd set of rotors. The cars are hard on the front brakes, they do probably 80% of the work, plus cars nowadays tend to have thinner rotors to start, I think it's a weight issue.
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    I have 39K miles on 2000 Venture, original rotors and pads. Dealer said the'll last 55-60K miles based on current wear. Not bad.

grabes2nd, maybe you live in the Rockies somewhere and work the brakes extra hard?
  • bcd99bcd99 Member Posts: 45
    '01 Silo at 36K with the original Rotors and Pads. '96 Olds Ciera went 98K with original rotors. 18K sounds like extreme late breaking or someone trying to make some extra money on a cheap inspection deal. Are they really that bad that they need to be replaced?
    Both my wife & I hustle the Venture around, late break, trail brake, you name it, in the Appalachian foothills (my car is a Z28, hers used to be a 5.0 Mustang). I'm pretty philosophical about tires, pads & rotors. Some of the cost comes out of my entertainment budget.
    Why, I got all of 14,000 miles out of my last set of tires on the Camaro...money well spent.
  • letsgetmikeyletsgetmikey Member Posts: 82
    Original brakes and rotors just replaced a few months ago on my 01 Silo at 90k miles. No complaints here.

Mikey
  • bcd99bcd99 Member Posts: 45
    Took my 01 Silo in for state inspection @ 36 or 37K I forget which it is. Got a call this afternoon saying it did not pass inspection and they had to order parts. Turns out the tie rods are shot. Maybe that was cause of the front end rattle over bumps at slow speed that they never able to "figure out" previously. No word on what the grinding noise cause when turning the wheel at a stop or slowly starting, like from a parking spot. Sounds like power steering when low on fluid but it has plenty of fluid. Oh well, so are the joys of motor vehicle ownership.
  • ab999ab999 Member Posts: 4
    I had water under the passenger seat carpet as well. Found it while trying to figure out why my door lock switches didn't work. The wire for the switches runs under the carpet and I found a bundle of wires sitting under water in a channel that runs by the passenger door.

I think it was the AC. There is supposed to be a small L-shapped fitting on the end of the drain tube as it comes out of the firewall. The fitting wasn't there. I assume it fell off. I got one at the dealer (part # 10080332). It looks like it just directs the water to drip down to the ground and not run back onto the firewall and into the passenger compartment.

I am not 100% sure if it has fixed the problem yet, so I will be watching to see if the water returns

Brian
    MY 2002 Silhouette doesn't have that "L" either. I pointed this out to the dealer when I brought it in for the first oil change, and they checked the parts book and it was listed for my vehicle. We then checked two others on the lot and they didn't have it either.

My AC drain is a straight pipe through the firewall and then runs down the padding on the firewall. The "L" pipe might help but, I think that water will still blow back against the firewall pad.
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    Airbag Warning Light

If your airbag light stays on after starting, before going to the dealer try this.

Move both the passenger a driver seats to the most forward position. Open the sliding doors and you will see the wires underneath the seat. No need to take them apart but give the two halves a good "wiggle". Reset the seats to preferred position. The airbag light should flash seven times before going out.

Overhead Temperature Read Out.

If you have the overhead temp read out and obviously showing the incorrect temp (we had ICE on a 70 degree day). Try cleaning and re setting the sensor.

This mounted just under the hood on the left (passenger) side. It is a small black plastic device mounted on the body frame just in front of the radiator. The will be a wire connection. I unplugged to confirm and got OC on the overhead readout. I cleaned the sensor part and replugged. This appears to have cured the situation.

Blower Fan

We did have a problem with the blower fan and it would only blow fast (5) on the dial at all positions including off. When I turned off the engine it still was going, but went off on 5 rather than OFF. When I restarted the van it reset it self to normal operation.
  • infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    well, the ac died on my 02 venture yesterday, 22,000 miles. we drove about 35 miles out of town with very cold ac. 1 hour later when we left, i could hear a hissing sound that got louder the more i pressed on the accelerator with nothing but hot air. i pulled over, lifted the hood just to look, and i could hear the compressor hissing. i'm off to the dealer again.
  • ab999ab999 Member Posts: 4
    I think the way the water may have been getting into the passeger compartment in my Van (2000 Venture) is back through the grommet where the AC drain tube comes through the firewall. The idea with the L-shapped fitting is to make sure the water doesn't just follow the outside of the pipe back through the firewall. (I am really not sure of any of this because you can't watch the water come in)

My floor is still dry 3 days after I installed the fitting so it seems to be working.

The fitting just slips on, so it seems that it also just slips off. Either that or it was never put on in the first place. I am going to try a hose clamp or cable tie to see if I can fasten it more securely.

Brian
  • jfxckljfxckl Member Posts: 2
    Hi I have a 1995 transport that has ben bucking for three years now. we have spent thousands of dollars trying to figure it our. sensors modules you name it I feel as if we replaced it. The engine seems to stop running for a split second. You can either let off the gas or hit the gas to get threw it. The latest thing we were told was we needed new tranny mounts . i am no macanic but that does not seen to logical. can anyone help. Thanks Jim, Email me jl@healthcarereview.com
    2000 Silhoulette, 30K Miles, makes three heavy clicking noises when turning from the full left to full right. It doesn't make clicking noise when turning from the full right to the full left. It doesn't make noise when there is no load to the front-end (ie. when the front-end is jacked up and the tires not touching the ground. I saw this problem mentioned before, but not sure what is the fix for this. Will take it to the dealer when we have ca chance, glad to have the extended warranty. The steering seems normal except the clicking noise.
    Our 2000 Silo doesn't have the L shaped tube neither, only the tube going out from the fire wall. I lifted the plastic molding and felted under the passenger side and there was no water. May be we don't drive the van enough with the air conditioning on.
  • minnventureguyminnventureguy Member Posts: 2
    Bought a 2000 Venture last November with 9,000 miles on it. Currently have 19,000 with nothing major so far. The only issue so far is a squeaking from the back suspension when I go over speed bumps or into driveway cuts. I’ve checked the rear shocks and bushings and everything looks fine. I can’t find any lube fittings so I’m assuming they’re sealed for life. Has anyone had this and if so what was the cure?

Second question is the intake manifold leak issue. How does this start? Smell of antifreeze? Puddles on the floor? Moisture near at the bottom of the interior near the heater blower outlet? I haven’t noticed anything but want to make sure I’m looking in the right spot.

Thanks for your help.
  • 33chevy33chevy Member Posts: 28
    I posted my problem at #485. A solenoid fixed the problem. Van was 3 months and 1,200 miles out of warranty. Dealer said there was a TSB on this problem..wouldn't do any harm to contact Customer Service. I wrote them a long letter. Customer Service contaced me by phone about 5 or 6 times then the dealer and after 3 months Chevy honored the repair. Credited my GM Card with the repair cost. I also had them change the tranny fluid and filter which I paid for. Now at 3,000 miles after the repair all is still working ok. So fix was good. Was worth the effort taking the time to write.
  • 33chevy33chevy Member Posts: 28
    Same van as previous post. When you go to use the brakes going forward like after the van has set overnight or after about half an hour of setting...the first stop you make... the pedal goes to the floor and it kinda scares you. It does stop the van

If you let up on the pedal and press down again....it gains more pedal height and will be ok until the next time it sets for awhile. Fluid is full. In fact at 40,000 miles it was still above the min level on the reservoir and I never have added any since new..but did top it off and it took very little. Seems like air in the system to me...do these van systems have a typically spongy feel to them? Ours does.
    I have had this for about 10 months (71k miles). When it started I added GM's stopleak tablets, which reduced the leak. I suppose it leaks maybe a tablespoon or so of orange coolant a day. I check the coolant reservoir evey other week or so, and add coolant as required. In 10 months I've added two gallons of 50/50 coolant. I change the oil, and keep a lookout for any coolant in the oil as well. Thus far it's just the external leak, and is a mild inconvenience.
    GM minivan brakes take some getting used to....I still feel like the pedal goes down too far before something starts to happen, but "they're all like that," apparently.
    The brake pedal on my 2002 Silhouette does not go down that much or feel spongy. My van starts to stop when I start to push the pedal down ( Guessing, 1 inch) and I have been very impressed with the brakes.