Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GM's triplets Venture, Silhouette, and Montana

Comments

• infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    well i finally got word back on my 02 venture, 22,000 miles. the ac compressor is bad so the dealer had to order one. it will be in next week. i'm just glad it's under warranty since i wouldn't be able to afford the $850 charge right now. they finally fixed the clunking coming from underneath too. the last time they had the van to replace the front wheel bearings, apparently something was left loose??? oh well, at least it's fixed now. the firestones need replaced soon. after recently rotating them, the front ones make make a lot of annoying noise. the tire shop said they were "cupped" which causes the noise, but assured me they were safe. has this happened to anyone else's factory firestone tires?
  • bcd99bcd99 Member Posts: 45
    You may want to have your dealer check the tie rods. My 01 Silo went in for inspection a couple weeks back and it failed for bad tie rods. Dealer replaced under warranty. I had noticed the tires leaning out when checking over but had not really thought of bad tie rods, figured they only needed alignment.

Last night I conquered the dreaded air filter change. Not to bad but did they really have to make it such a monumental task. A few moments of consideration in the design phase could have made that a much simpler task.
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    How difficult was it to remove the air intake (rubber like) hose from the air housing? I loosened the hose clamps and still the air intake hose would not budge.
  • bcd99bcd99 Member Posts: 45
    It is one of those "multiple things to do to get one result". You need to loosen the clamp at the air box, at the other side of the mass air flow or whatever that thing is called and the clamp at the other end of the snorkel tube. Once all three are loosened you can push on the longer section of tube and pull on the mass air flow sensor to get things to break loose. Also unplug the wires for the sensors prior to moving the items. I also lifted the coolant reservoir to gain room to move, but not entirely as there is a plastic "screw" that looked non-reuseable. Bought the replacement filter at NAPA and it was an exact fit (as always).
  • jeberjeber Member Posts: 91
    golly, I did that a couple months ago on my silo...believe me, the cursing and swearing were ugly!

It seems every car I've had has one or two things that, when you go to work on, remove/replace, you just stop and think "what the *%#$ was (whatever car manufacturer) thinking when they put THIS together!?!?! And, its usually not a question of redesigning/reconfiguring anything, but routing a wire "here" instead of where it is, and moving something an inch or two over...pretty frustrating when the air filter change should be a brainless, 2 minute job, and instead its a half hour of frustration and swearing
  • 33chevy33chevy Member Posts: 28
    My previous post #566 on soft brakes was cured by taking off front calipers on both sides and the inner pads fell onto the garage floor. Rusted right off the backer plates. At 40,600 miles and 3 and 1/2 years of use in the northeast rust belt is the price you pay. Also checked the rear drum brakes....outside of the usual lining dust all looked almost new. Disc brakes are not protected from the elements.

I bought premium rotors and pads at local NAPA store. The original rotors were ok but why not just replace. New Rotors were made in China! We can't go to war with them..they probably make our bullets. I also posted this problem on Edmunds under the Venture Board and my reply back on that board is #1560..there are some other good comments as to things pertaining to and around my problem and comments. Oh..the van stops fine now....also checked our 2000 Impala LS...it has 34 k miles on it.... passenger side inner pad same thing ..fell onto garage floor. Did same job on it too.
    2000 Venture Van...original Firestone 680 tires at 40k miles have lots of tread on them yet. I only rotated them once at 17k miles. On Tirerack internet site they are a $46.00 tire. I have no complaints with them whereas the Goodyear Eagles on our 2000 Impala LS are noisy as heck since about 15k miles. They will probably go to 40 k miles before needing replacement. On one of these posts someone got 55k out of the original Firestones.
  • hhua1hhua1 Member Posts: 41
    2000 Silhoulette, 30K Miles, makes three heavy clicking noises when turning from the full left to full right. It doesn't make clicking noise when turning from the full right to the full left. It doesn't make noise when there is no load to the front-end (ie. when the front-end is jacked up and the tires not touching the ground. I saw this problem mentioned before, but not sure what is the fix for this. Will take it to the dealer when we have ca chance, glad to have the extended warranty. The steering seems normal except the clicking noise.

Update:
    Dealer fixed the problem. They replaced the "intermediate shaft". It covered under the Major Guard warranty, the van was 3 months past the bumper to bumper warranty.
    On a 2000 Venture I like how easy the steps are to replace it in the owners manual vs actually doing it. I put in a K&N at 23k miles..won't look at it until 50 k miles later. The original one at that miles was actually quite clean. Would probably vary where you drive.

I feel for the technicians who have to work on these vehicles every day. Manufacturers just pile the parts in with no consideration of ever having to replace things. Was at a car show this past weekend and saw a 1964 Chevy Chevelle with an in line Chevy 6. I think you could change the starter with out going under the car. And I used to think it was hard to work on a Chevy 283!
  • infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    if anyone remembers my 02 venture, 22,500 miles now...i had transmission concerns (post 570 among others) that i asked about. well guess what???!!! yep, it blew while the wife was picking up the kids from school! i knew something wasn't right. in the previous posts, i had said that it was slipping sometimes. but of course the dealer couldn't duplicate anything. the now fired service manager even tried to tell me my description was normal, that it was designed into the trans to protect it! whatever...i am vindicated! this makes me very angry. i have 3 kids and there's no way 3 car seats are going to fit into any neon or focus rental! thank goodness the dealer pushed chevrolet for a larger car since they only wanted to pay $30 per day for neon or focus, not $45 per day for another venture, a trailblazer, or an impala. and it was in last week for 4 days for the ac compressor and brakes?! that time the manager gave us his personal malibu. this is very dissapointing. considering the family has a malibu, a tracker, a prizm, a monte carlo, and a lumina...all with my persuasion and all good cars, i will be asking chevrolet for some compensation. there have been many other repairs in the last 7000 miles. these dealer trips are becoming real headaches.
  • millhillmillhill Member Posts: 2
    I want to buy a 2004 Montana AWD, but I am concerned about the "poor" ratings on crach tests. Any imput????
    You posted on the Sienna board that you wanted to buy a Sienna. If you are concerned about the crash test results with the GM trio you should stay away and buy a Honda or Sienna.

Why buy something that you have concerns with?

I have a GM van and think that it is much better for me than the Toy/ Honda/Mazda vans.

Now the whining will begin.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Once again, the Highway Loss Data Institute which is funded by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety ( http://www.iihs.org ) has named the Pontiac Montana as "substantially better then average" in the September 2003 "Injury, Collision, & Theft Losses" report covering 2000-2002 models now available at their site. It has been given this status every year since the redesign for the 1997 model year. They have had it as the ranked #2 in 2000, #1 in 2001, #2 in 2002 and now #3.
    Yes, those IIHS studies are what put my mind at ease as far as gm minivan safety--I, also was concerned that the (side impact/offset) crash results were poor, as my wife and 3 young kids are in our van daily. But, IMO the IIHS is the "real world" safety of a vehicle, and those clearly show that people are not any more likely to get killed/maimed in accidents in gm vans, they are, in fact (as pointed out by montanafan), "better than average."

you might do a search on some of the gm minivan message boards, for "crash" or something, as this has been gone over in detail in the past.

If everybody "buckles up" religiously (key to avoiding injury in any vehicle), your chance of getting killed/injured (especially with air bags present) are statistically very, very small
  • nkairnsnkairns Member Posts: 27
    I have a problem that seems to be connected with the fuel gage and ABS light. On occasion, my fuel gage sticks and won't register the level of fuel in the tank until it's aboult half full. Like the gage is full.....200 kms later all of a sudden the gage jumps from full to half in one shot. When this happens, my ABS light will come on and stay on until I restart my van. I have a 99 silo with 91000 kms. I read somewhere this was a problem with a sender unit mounted somewhere under the van that can get wet and cause this very problem. Anyone have any idea where this sender unit is located?
    There is a through body connection in the floor just behind the drivers seat. The systems in the rear of the car go through it. Since you have issues with both fuel and ABS it is a good thing to have checked. Look under the car in the area where the second row passenger's feet would be. Should see it there. If taken apart, you might find wire connections loose or effected by water. Could also confirm that this is the right direction to go, if the ABS codes are for the rear. Good luck.
  • homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    I bought a new Venture (LS extended) for my wife a couple of months ago. We love it - roomy, comfortable, easy to drive, and not bad on gas. The std. tires, however, made the steering and braking a bit mushy. We picked up road debris that ruined one of the Firestone 680s, so I changed out the tires to top of the line Bridgestones (Turanza LS-T). The T rated tires make all the difference in the world! Handling is sharper, steering less vague at highway speeds. Even my wife noticed, and a car is just an appliance to her. Worth doing, in my opinion.
  • nkairnsnkairns Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for the info montanafan. I found the connection. Any idea what I can use to seal the connection from the elements or do I have to replace it
    I am just an infomation gather. Does it look like there has been water in the connector? If it is too bad it might have to be repalced Try your local autoparts store for recomendations. There should be spray cleaners and sealers for electrical uses. Or if you feel that this is it, you could go to a repair shop or dealer. You will have saved the diagnostic time and charges.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    I got brave and bought a new air filter. The install was rather annoying but not impossible, even for me. It took about 30 minutes start to finish. I do not know why GM would make such a simple task so complicated except to add a profit center for the service department.

Anyone tell me how many lubrication points there are on the suspension and chassis?
  • veestarveestar Member Posts: 16
    Hello.....I'm driving a 1997 montana and I'm new to the forum. I'd like to know if anyone has successfully by passed the load leveling pump and installed regular air shocks? My front struts are also in need of replacements. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    After almost 4 years of ownership I've decided to get a couple of things fixed today:

Intake manifold gasket. It's leaked maybe a tablespoon or less a day for a year, I'd add coolant monthly or so.....I finally got tired of cleaning the garage floor. $700.

Power steering pump. Works fine, but it's making a whiny sound that bugs me. $100.

Corroded coil, also working fine so far. $35.

Only other fix since I bought the car new was a new alternator....old one worked fine, but made a whining sound. $160.

I was joking with my wife that cars are so reliable nowadays, I fix things that annoy me even when they still work.
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    I will have to replace second set of tires on Venture 2000. I went with Michelin Symmentry which were the hot ones at the time on this site, but frankly don't think they were that great.

Saw the post #587 on the Bridgestone Turanza LS-T and will check out.

Thanks
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    You can replace all 4 dampners with Gaberial gas charged jobs from Autozone and keep the autoleveler, just get the air shocks in teh back, open the box and then order the adapter kit for the GM auto leveling.

It has a bigger spring for the aircompressor which puts more air when needed into the shocks, increasing load capacity before the truck sags.

Total cost is under $200. The front struts are real buggers to install and the compressor change is a little involved.

The change is amazing for the ride and handling.

search on dirk daddy and you'll find my posts.
    I have enjoyed my van a lot since bying used with 65k on it.

We average 23 mpg in heavy traffic adn some highway - outstanding for as large as it is (we have the ext version)

My wife hated the idea of a van but now its her choice vehicle. I love camping in it, last weekend went kayaking and drove through a sort of muddy road. Funny I almost thought I should be driving a SUV because of all of the commercials! If you know how to drive these vans can go through a lot.

Update:

We have a problem I'm diagnosing - the battery ran down over the course of like 2 days but the "check engine" light for lack of charging never came on. Im thinking alternator.

Also, the steering has some wierd clunks in it when going from left to right in a parking garage. I jacked it up and tested for slop, I think it might be a CV joint going bad.

My old michelin tires are getting so hard I'm going to replace them with new michelins.

DD
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    waddya mean they aren't great, they put them on cadillacs!!!
    which just goes to show , most people driving caddys couldn't give a ..... about tires!
    the only real problem I have with the OEM Firestones (one of which disintegrated in our 00 Venture) and the symmetrys (or most OEM minivan tires) is that the max psi is 35 and the recommeded psi for the vehicle according to Chevy is 35! You have zero reserve! I'm getting T rated Turanzas which have a 40psi max after winter! Dunno what I am going to do about the Blizzak snowtires which are also 35psi max, have to get H rated ones and pay $$ I guess!
    What does the sticker on the drivers door say about recommended tire pressure? My 02 Silhouette says 32psi. You have a Venture don't you?
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    says 35 which is why I am worried!
    I suspect anywhere from 30 on up is probably fine,I know the dealer never pumps it up above 32, maybe Silos are supposed to provide a softer ride as its an Olds!! Us Chevy types like it hard on our rear ends! :-)
    If you don't have a full load, you can go with less tire pressure - the rating for the max capacity is where you want it up to 35psi. I'd stick to 32 as a minimum.

If you want a stiffer more controlled ride, replace the shocks/struts.

FYI, I am having to replace some sears "michelin" tires at 98,000miles with good tread left, they are just getting hard in Texas heat and had a lot of nails lately, one blew out and had to be replaced. Heck, they were 1/2 used when I bought the van at 62k! They wear like iron, and grip well. I'm so satisfied I'm getting more michelins, they make the van handle pretty decently - I scare the wife. Drove a Pontiac van with el-cheapo tires and it was about the worst handling thing I ever drove. Yea, they make that much difference.

DD
  • hhua1hhua1 Member Posts: 41
    You may have the same thing we had for 00' Silo...refer to message #578.
    My son has an Oldsmobile Intrigue and was experiencing a clunking sound that could be felt through the steering wheel. I turned out to be his strut bearings. When you would turn the steering wheel back and forth it would just keep clunking every time you turned the steering wheel.

Good Luck
    Thanks, I'll have to check it out.

for those of you who don't know what one is, here's a neat diagram.

http://www.hillmanimages.com/912/front_suspension.html
  • redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    Anyone here have any experience with 93 era dustbusters? I picked up a 93 Silhouette for a decent price. It has 93000 miles and has the 3800 motor. The mechanic gave it a clean bill of health.

I'm just curious if there is anything I should look out for in the months and years to come...

Any advice/pointers/words of wisdom??

• paulie9paulie9 Member Posts: 32
    I too get a clunk type noise when I turn the steering wheel on my second car a 1997 Buick LeSabre. The diagram in the link does not show a part called a strut bearing. Could you point it out using the numbers as a reference.

Secondly, regarding the rear air shocks you replaced on your Silo. Autozone says that they have Gabriel Hi-Jackers for my 2000 Silo that includes the air tubing that connects to the compressor. I remember that you had to buy a separate tubing connection kit that include changing a pressure regulating part in the compressor. I'm lead to believe that the change to the compressor is optional. Is this true?

I recently bought my 2000 Silo with 73000 miles and am not happy with the bouncey rear end compared to my old 1998 Town & Country. Your posts about installing Hi-Jackers is making me think of doing the same.

I assume you are still happy with the performance of your Hi-Jackers????

Otherwise, I am very happy with my Silo!!!!

TIA..... Paulie9
    If I remember right, Oldsmobile said that the strut bearings are located in the top portion of the strut. The strut bearings cost something like $120.00 each. Now, the strut has to be disassembled to install the bearings, so if you need new struts you should have them installed at the same time. Labor is the big cost if you can't do this yourself. No sense paying for the labor to replace the strut bearings and a year later replace the shock struts and pay again.

Good Luck
  • n7donn7don Member Posts: 188
    I replaced the original leaking load leveling shocks on our Montana @ 67K miles with Gabriel hijackers #49230. There was some kind of adapter kit that was required to connect the original air line to the Gabriel shock. There wasn't any info that the compressor pressure had to be increased. Since the load level is determined by ride height I assume my compressor is putting out enough pressure to maintain the correct height. Also we pull a popup trailer weighing about 2800 lbs and the trim height is maintained.
    I get a rear noise that sounds like loose lumber rattling. Nothing apparent that's loose but there have been some cases where shock valving can cause this noise. Somewhat annoying but not ready to blame the Gabriels yet.

Next summer plan on replacing the front struts. Anyone with experience with Monroe's sena-trak units? or other recommendations?

Overall I've been satisfied with the Montana. Repairs have been minimal @ 93K miles. Still have original water pump and alternator. Did change the plugs and wires @ 87K but believe the original plugs would have been ok at 100K.... or more. Still use 5W-30. Oil consumption is minimal.
    So you did need an adapter kit to connect to the compressor. Was it difficult to install - Hijacker and adapter kit?

How is the ride with the Hijackers versus the old factory installed air shocks????

The ride on my 2000 Silo with 74k miles is a bite too soft and bouncy. I would like to get a firmer ride like I hade in my 97 Town & Country that I traded in for this Silo. Otherwise I love my Silo....
    The Gabriels have a different connector than the OE shocks. I just spliced about 12"+/- of the kits ends onto the existing lines and routed the lines appropriately. Overall not too difficult a job.
    As mentioned in original post I have an annoying loose lumber sound in the back at lower speeds that may be shock related. Just haven't taken the time to determine if it's shocks or not.

Ride? Couldn't tell any difference. The Montana has a trailering option which included FE2 handling option. Ride was firm. I changed the shocks because the rr was leaking. It's near the resonator muffler and I'm thinking added heat from pulling the trailer may have overheated the shock. FWIW I cut out the resonator and replaced with a short section of pipe. No difference in sound.
    Regarding the lumbering sound. Did you check that your spare is cranked up tight under the rear end. Also is your jack fastened securely in the rear compartment on the passenger side? This compartment has a small well on either side of the jack. Make sure there is nothing in them that might move around. Good luck.....
    I've taken everything out of the rear compartment mentioned. Spare tire isn't loose to the feel, e.i. can't move it.
    if you go to this nhtsa website,

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/home.cfm

you can find TSB's and recalls for your vehicle. I noticed, when looking at 01 silo, there is a tsb (maybe two) for rattling...don't remember specifics, but maybe worth a look. Good luck.
  • hubes3hubes3 Member Posts: 6
    Hello All -

Had my 2001 Olds Premier (32K) in for routine service at the dealer and ended up w/having having the intake manifold gasket replaced, under warranty. When I dropped the van off I asked them to check the coolant level because the resivor seemed low. The charge under warranty was about $850.

My family like the van and we plan to keep it, but I am curious know is their any type of GM extended component warranty out there for this issue? and should I be concerned about the longevity of the van due to the coolant leak?

Thanks!!
    If you look at Honda, they are concerned with transmission problems/power sliding door, MPV's are having hard shift engagements ect.

Each vehicle is having it's own set of problems. People mostly come here to complain about their problems not to praise their vans.

A person can get real concerned about the reliability of their vehicle when they come here and read of all the problems people are having with their van. This board is not representative of anything as far as reliability goes. Can't even be certain that the person really has the vehicle they are complaining about, might just be slamming to cause trouble here.

Relax and enjoy.
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    I have a 99 Venture with 76k miles. I just had my gasket replaced. My understanding is that there is a new gasket design which has been out for about 6 months which is intended to prevent further leaks. I have seen this issue discussed on other boards for a few years and have not heard of anyone having the repair done more than once.
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    My technician tells me the problems with mainfold coolant leak are caused by the assembly moving to quickly and the engine being started too quickly for seal / bonding compound to set properly. I'm not sure if he's not making it up, but he says if the repair is done right (i.e. they let the van sit overnight letting everything cure etc.), you should not see another problem... BTW, I have '00 Venture with 42K miles (wife's bus) and I'm kind of waiting for this to happen - but neverless with love this van. Super utilitarian! (My two friends with Honda Odys had major problems, one tranny replacement, another one engine-related).
  • hubes3hubes3 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks all -

This is actually my 2nd Olds Silhouette, fist one totaled out by a falling tree in a windstorm. I have always been impressed by the comfort of the ride and handling.
    Now we hear about another theory as to why some leak and some don't. Not enough time for the gasket to cure before starting, Dex cool is eating away at the gasket, these are all guesses.

What is the percentage of GM motors that have this problem? A few people who come here and tell their horror story is not enough to say this is a general problem.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    My Silhouette got the problem about 40k and finally started leaking the coolant into the crankcase about 50k. Fixed the problem for about $550. Asked GM for 50% help as it was out of warranty, got no for an answer, and was told not a known issue. Yeah right, wonder why there are at least two websites on this single problem, and one has thousands of petitions signed. This was my first GM car and otherwise was a good vehicle. But with no customer support or admittance of the problem, it was also my last. Once again GM had a chance to keep a customer, and they say no thank you. Now wonder why there market share continues to drop.
    The fix cost 550.00. Was that fixed at the Oldsmobile dealership? Most people are paying more (around) 800.00.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    It was an Oldsmobile Dealer. I received a little sympathy from the dealer; none from GM.