Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New RAM 1500 Quality

bc01clsbc01cls Member Posts: 44
edited March 2014 in Dodge
Just wondering how other RAM buyers are doing with their purchase, quality wise. My selling dealer offered a 30 day "check up" to fix any problems on my new RAM but there haven't been any. First time I've had a new vehicle with nothing wrong that I can remember. I am impressed!

Comments

• jneffjneff Member Posts: 9
    I have 4000 miles on my Ram 1500 Quad 4 by 2.No problems,no squeeks. Its perfect
  • pushplaypushplay Member Posts: 52
    Perfect. LOVE IT!!
  • helpwantedhelpwanted Member Posts: 14
    Made it through the first 1000 miles without any problems or squeeks and lovin it so far! This truck is truly the "Mayor of Truckville"

Ram 1500 Quad, 4x4, 4.7 liter, Automatic
  • yank2yank2 Member Posts: 49
    This Ram is 100% better then my 2000 Dakota I just love the truck nothing wrong yet.
  • prmartin1prmartin1 Member Posts: 14
    Has anyone noticed their front passanger window operates slower than the drivers and the rear windows?

I'm wondering if I'm being anal, but it seems strange that this is the case? Surely they would use the same motors on the passanger and rear windows, but yet it still works, so is this a problem or just fact-of-life.

Apart from this - great! Even had a guy walk up to me at Home Depot and say "Great Truck"!!!
    mine over and did not notice a difference, but going to see if wife can see a difference in the speed of them.
    It's the darndest things - I didn't notice it at all in all the test drives I did, it was my wife who has the eagle eyes. I'm not worried about it unless it becomes a problem but then I feel comfortable going back to the dealer to get it fixed on the warranty.
  • saltysacksaltysack Member Posts: 12
    Have had my new Dodge 1500 Quad Cab for 2200 miles and almost three months and not one single thing needs fixing. I am amazed. But, we'll see how the transmission does over time. Early returns are very good. My truck was built in Warren, Michigan plant last October.
  • newramfannewramfan Member Posts: 22
    I have had mine for 6 months and have just over 4000 miles on it. So far the drivers seat is sliding back and forth (about a half inch or so)as I come to a stop or take off. Also, my rear door locks do not want to unlock all the way when it is cold outside. I haven't noticed the window speed difference, but will pay close attention next time.
  • dougsblu65dougsblu65 Member Posts: 6
    I'm a Dodge guy that traded my perfectly good 97 1500 for a S-10 crew cab, what was I thinking? After 8 months I could write a book on the poor quality and bad service (12 pages to chevy but they don't care). 1 month ago I bit the bullet and traded that for a silver 02 1500 quad 2 wheel dr w/trailer pkg and seat upgrade. I'm home again, what a wonderful truck. I hand wash once a week in a well lighted garage and to date have found only 1 very minor speck of something in the paint (no one else will ever find it). This includes inside the door jams and box! Mine was made in Mexico but after my last American made truck (s-10) I don't care, I went from the absolute worst quality I ever owned to the best. I'm fussy about my vehicle and this is the most perfect truck I've ever had period, thanks Dodge.
  • brnzbkbrnzbk Member Posts: 33
    I was curious if anyone has a truck built in the Fenton Missouri plant. I know someone who is connected with the plant as an outside contractor and he stated that they had some weld problems on the rear axles, and headlight assembly problems. Does anyone know if the quality is less from this plant?
  • gottscdjgottscdj Member Posts: 17
    You join many of us that are thrilled with our Ram purchase. I was not a dodge person in the past. As a matter of fact, the only other dodge I have ever owned was a caravan. It took me a while to warm up to the dominant grill on the new Ram but now I love it. The body style is great and the interior is as good as my mercedes that I traded it. It does get me to the gas pump more often than my mercedes did. Has anyone put nerf bars on the Ram and are they not compatable with mud flaps? I would love to see some photos.
    I think mine was built at that plant. It was built in the St. Louis area. I'll have to check for sure. Can you tell me more about the problems?
  • fastappyfastappy Member Posts: 6
    My truck (1500 QC SLT Sport 4x4) was assemble at that plant and I have not experienced any problems. In fact I'm very pleased by the quality and engineering.

Weld problems? What exactly is the supposed defect(s)? Just sounds like a rumor at this point. Let us know if you have any solid information.
    The welds were breaking on the rear differential and being repaired by an outside company ( sorting company ). The company takes care of some of the quality problems, this reduces cost because the workers are not union. The parts and or trucks are taken off site and inspected, I don't know who did the actual repair. I got this information from a quality engineer who works for the outside contractor.
  • satyr66satyr66 Member Posts: 11
    gottscdj . e-mail me at mark.carfang@adelphia.com and I will send you pics with nerf bars and mudflaps. They work great together.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    We looked at a new RAM 1500 today. I couldn't see a weld bead on the rear axle assembly. There are some casting marks, but no visible signs of welding anywhere.

Dusty
    was it on a truck manufactured in St. Louis, MO.?
    I don't know. This was one of the new RAMs in the company parking lot. It just happened to be the closest one to us. I looked at another one this morning. The rear axle assemblies are cast iron units with the typically pressed in cast iron axle tubes. Where would there be a weld on a cast iron housing?

This one isn't making any sense to me.

Dusty
    any vehicle besides a GM before either, but after the the 2000 Silverado I had I knew it was time for me to look else where. So after selling my Silverado I was in no hurry to replace it at the time I had no idea Dodge was going to build a new truck. I had heard from a friend that they were going to so I kept an eye out for it. When I first seen it I liked the looks of it, but after driving it I knew what I was going to buy. I love this truck more every time I drive it. It is simpley the best truck I have owned period for the same reasons that all new Ram owners know period. Even if I was to have a problem our two, but I don't think I will.

P.S. My truck was also made in Satillo Mexico.
    OK I have the scoop on the weld problem I inquired about the other day. I just got off of the phone with the engineer that was in charge of this and he told me the concern was a weld that connected the flange to the housing. the best I can tell it is where the axle goes into the differential there must me some sort of sleeve that is welded to the differential housing. Anyway he said to the best of his knowledge, and going by memory the affected trucks had a VIN between 112,000 and 124,000. This took place last fall or early winter and my friend said he thought there was a lot of hoopla over nothing. Sorry if I upset anyone or caused any panic. From what he said there is really nothing to worry about. By the way he is ordering a new RAM 1500 so it must be a good truck. Also I am getting ready to buy a new RAM1500 4.7L Quad.
    Because you used the word "flange," I now suspect that it is on the end of the axle tube where the backing plate would mount. Usually, the axle tubes are pressed into the differential carrier housing, or sometimes threaded. I've never known one to be welded there. The axle flanges may be welded, I guess. I've either never noticed or have forgotten.

My local Dodge dealer says they haven't heard of any problems.........anywhere on the truck.

Dusty
  • jlamarjjlamarj Member Posts: 19
    Satyr66- Can you send your pics to JLamar@knology.net?

If anyone else out there has pics to share I would love to see them.
  • penrosepenrose Member Posts: 31
    I am on my way out the door to have my driver's side mirror re-attached. It fell off while driving the other day. I was on the freeway when I noticed my mirror wasn't adjusted right. I moved it into place ( I do not have power mirrors)and about a mile down the road it was loose again. I adjusted it again when it came off. I was able to hang onto it before it hit the road. This is the first problem so far in 3300 miles.
    Spent nearly 2 hours at the dealer, just to have them tell me they will have to order the part. Service writer said someone must have hit the mirror, although they are willing to cover it under warranty. Met with my salesman while I was waiting and he told me they are having a problem with the side view mirrors becoming loose.
  • helpwantedhelpwanted Member Posts: 14
    penrose,
    When I bought my truck both the outside mirrors were broken. After three weeks of them telling me they were still on backorder I raised hell and they took some off another truck and put them on mine. You should inquire the parts department to make sure they are no longer part of the Chrysler national backorder problem. Also it's true about them having trouble those outside mirrors and most of the dealers are aware of the problem.
    My QC has over 4000 miles, and I have had no issues with the side mirrors. Unfortunately, since I have not had the opportunity to add on to my garage yet (soon though), I must fold in the drivers side mirror in order to park. With all of this folding and unfolding, surely there would be a mirror problem, but nothing as of yet. I will keep an eye out for this issue, which will hopefully never develop. Thanks for the post.
    There appear to be two different styles of side mirrors used on the RAM 1500. Which one's are people having trouble with?

Dusty
    Just to clarify. The salesman I was talking to said that the side mirrors are designed to bend backwards and not break, (i.e. you are pulling out of your garage an accidently hit the mirror) but he said that there is a flaw in the design and that many are breaking. I do not ever remember hitting my mirror in such a manner. And I forgot to mention that the service department said that there were 80 mirrors on back order for the southwest area so plan on at least a three week wait. I wonder why there would be 80 mirrors on back order? Still love this truck!
  • saltysacksaltysack Member Posts: 12
    Have to agree with all of you. This is one very nice truck. Have really enjoyed driving it and the only problem is about 500 miles ago it developed a sqeak in area of right front. Happens on dips in the road. Sounds like a rubbing vibe support.
    I'm having the same promlem as newramfan, slip on the drivers seat, if I slam my anchors on it slips about 1/2 an inch. Do you have the electronic seat adjustments, maybe the electric motor is slipping under extreme force.

I'm also getting an annoying squeak that occurs only on long bumpy roads, e.g. not a single bump but lot's of little bumps. It's coming from the front, I can't hear it outside and it's not from in the dash. Anyhow, I'm not losing sleep over it, I'm off to the dealers next friday to go for a test drive with the service mgr to see what he can do?

Hope everyone keeps on enjoying their Rams!
    Sorry so long on reply. For some reason I haven't been getting updates until now. Anyway, Yes I have the power driver seat. Haven't had it checked out yet, as I thought I would have it fixed at my first service. No squeeks yet.
  • halostatuehalostatue Member Posts: 1
    Wondering if any of you have noticed that one tailgate cable is taut, and the other is slack? I'm concerned that this will lead to the tailgate warping, bending the box, my cap won't fit, etc. The dealer says this is normal(!!!).
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    I have went fishing many times with a friend from work, his boat is about 21 feet long with a 150 HP Merc. I would guess 4-5K pounds total weight. The only real test of towing ability is the bridge at Seabrook. His 97 Ram would pull this bridge in 3rd with no problem - same with my 99 Z-71 - I just put it is tow haul and it holds 3rd gear. The 2002 Ram started up the hill in third, but down shifted into second before we made it to the top. This happened both ways. It seemed like the engine just did not have the power needed to maintain speed while going up hill. The rest of the time (flat land) it seemed to handle the load with no problem. Also no problem pulling boat out of the water - and the ramp is steep.
    I like the looks of the Ram. Handled great, ride is smooth. But if I was planning on doing any towing - I would want more HP. I don't know what rear end he has - maybe that is the problem.
    I was told a few weeks ago that in a side-by-side "test" between a 2000 RAM extended cab (2WD, 318, auto) and a 2002 Quad Cab (2WD, 4.7, auto) that the two were neck and neck up to 65 miles and hour. That, however, is not a torque test.

I would think that with the 4.7 developing just slightly more HP and torque that there really shouldn't be a difference in pulling ability. However, the 45RFE is reported to be more sensitive to shifting under load conditions as low pump pressures under low speed load situations can overheat certain components, especially on overdrive automatics. My wife's nephew, a auto trans technician, says that's a common problem with autos from every manufacturer.

XYZ71, you didn't say which engine the '97 RAM had. Was it the 360 motor?

Dusty
    Me and #2 son checked four new RAM 1500s at the local Dodge dealer this morning. I did notice an ever-so-slight difference in the tautness of the cables. Would it cause a problem? Don't know. I gave the cables a close inspection and judging from the way they're made I would guess they go through some initial stretching when weight is applied to the gate. This might balance out after a while.

Worth mentioning to the dealer, though. Get it down on paper if there is a problem later. Then there will be a record of it.

Dusty
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    The 97 had the 318 (5.2L?)

I am not trying to slam the new Ram -I think the engine sound is great - it gives you the feeling that there is a lot of power - but when you get to a hill - and are towing a load - the noise does little to get you top the top.
    Assuming there's little difference either way between the 318 and 4.7, I'm suspicious that the difference is really between the 45RE/46RE versus the 45RFE. The several people I've talked to that went from an older 318 RAM to the 4.7 think the 4.7 is noticeably snappier in any gear.

Like I mentioned earlier, I think the 45RFE is programmed to kick down sooner under certain load conditions. I've heard a similar complaint from an owner of a Chevy with the new Allison.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • b360b360 Member Posts: 6
    My 94 had and still does have slack/taunt cables. Has'nt got any worse with use even after
    setting pallets up to 1600 lbs. on it
  • twinscrewtwinscrew Member Posts: 53
    My I-net home page had a blurb about Dodge recalling '02 1500 4X4's made before Nov '01 for a rear axle mount problem. It said there was a bad weld and that the dealer would install a reinforcement bracket. I thought the rear would be the same on 2wd. Bought mine in Dec so it could be in the recall. Haven't heard anything from Dodge yet. Anyone know any details?

BTW: 24K miles on mine so far. It is worked hard every day. Rough roads, heavy loads, lots of towing, dirty conditions.... 0 problems (am knocking on wood as I type....you just can't be too careful).
    Twinscrew, check out my post in this discussion, #22.
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    about a recall on all the new 1500 Ram's? Just curious, I was told by a dealer that quite a few are being recalled for something wrong with the engine.

That's all he told me. Anyone know if this is true?
  • plywoody47plywoody47 Member Posts: 11
    Anybody notice the beginings of pitting on the grille? I wash mine weekly, but it is parked most of the week. Noticed what looks like the start of pitting on the grille yesterday when washing it. Only 1,800 miles and 2 months of ownership, this could be a problem over the long haul...
  • filmrmfilmrm Member Posts: 1
    I also noticed that only one side is taut. Thought I had a cable length difference, but it was actually the tailgate higher on one side. Check out the tailgate height against the box height on each side. Probably different. This can be adjusted below on the hinge.
  • jroy59jroy59 Member Posts: 2
    Has gone dead a couple of times.
    Dealership where purchased in AL. are not very interested in listening just making excuses.
    Gas mileage is 10-12 mpg hwy.
  • wsmoorewsmoore Member Posts: 14
    That is pretty bad mileage. I have the 5.9L, and am getting about
    12.5 mpg in 50/50 mixed city/highway driving, but it goes up to
    about 16 on the freeway with the cruise control set at 65. If you
    live in an area with lots of hills, that could explain the difference.
    My instantaneous mileage will drop to 5 mpg on some long
    grades (but then it will be 40 mpg on the downhill side).

So far my 02 QC has been trouble free (3 months and 2600 miles)...
  • jlamarjjlamarj Member Posts: 19
    Where is the dealership? I am in Alabama (Prattville)also.
    I talked to a Dodge technician yesterday and asked him. He's not aware of any common malady with the 4.7 engine. In fact, he made the comment that his dealership has yet to touch one for any reason at all, not even an oil leak. He seemed to be pretty high on the 4.7 engine.

Dusty
  • 02ramman02ramman Member Posts: 62
    Seen your post about the rear door locks not working when it was cold. Mine had the same problem. First trip in they said it worked fine at the time (it was warm) and basically said normal operation. When I showed the tech that it was harder to pull up manually than the front ones, he pulled the side panel. There was some padding to keep the rod from rattling and it seemed to him that they installed to much of it. So he removed a portion and I have had no problems since. Hopefully this will help out
    Steve
  • eleets00eleets00 Member Posts: 27
    Hello all! I've been researching the new Ram Quad Cab & "02"F150-SCrew. I'm wondering if the Dodge has the same type of extra storage space behind the rear seats as the F150-SCrew. On the Ford you can fit 2-12" sub, amps, & etc... Really like the look & the reputation of the New Ram, but love listening to music. I've pretty much have come to grips with the gas mileage. Now all I have to do is choose. So has anyone installed a stereo system yet? Any info given will be greatly appreciated...
This discussion has been closed.