Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano 2005 and earlier

Comments

• pf01pf01 Member Posts: 35
    Go to nissannews.com, it has both specifications and nice pictures of Murano. Murano is 5 inches longer than Pathfinder in both wheelbase and overall length. It is also 2 inches wider than Pathfinder. Personally, I feel that the styling of Murano is so modern, any other SUV looks old-fashioned to me now.
    Yesterday, I saw an Infiniti TV ad that showed the FX45, which is supposed to be in show rooms a couple of months later than the Murano.
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    This is the most info I have seen on the Murano yet. The Pilot looks 10 years old compared to the Murano!
  • troyy2ktroyy2k Member Posts: 91
    According to the NissanNews website, " The Nissan Murano goes on sale in the fall as a 2003 model." Does anyone have a more specific launch date, rather than just "in the fall?" My lease runs out in late summer, and it would make a big diffence in my plans if the Murano were to be launched in November vs. August. Does anyone have a more specific launch date, rather than just "in the fall?" Thanks!
    My friend explained to me that the term for "moron" in Portuguese is "Morano" - Is this true?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Doesn't show up in the babelfish translator. Where's Juice?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    If it's true -- that would hurt. Remember the Chevy Nova? Nova meant "No Go" in Spanish. I don't think Nissan had that in mind, though. :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I don't think so, at least I've never heard it. Sounds to me like an American that doesn't speak Spanish (not even Portuguese) pretending that he does.

I sounds a bit like "Muro", which means "Wall". "Mora" means "Lives".

-juice
    "Mas da" means "gives more", though! :-)

-juice
    It's nice to have a Portuguese speaking member to call on.

Steve
    Host
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    And let's not forget the "No Va" that was a dismal failure in Latin America!

["No va" means "doesn't go" in Spanish]

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    This SUV is a great concept, and in looks and eng. is a generation ahead, but the name has got to go!

Cheers
    Pat
  • osamayomamajrosamayomamajr Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what the towing capacity will be for this vehicle, if any? Was considering the ford escape but want to avoid ford products after my experiences with my '99 ford ranger.

Thx.
    I'm guessing class II, 3500 lbs. It'll compete with the Highlander, that's why.

-juice
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    I've never even heard of this so-called famous glass before Nissan named its SUV after it.

But yes, I can just hear the moron jokes that this car will receive.
    Anything has to be better than either the Aztek or the Ascender :-)

Steve
    Host
  • buzzlightbuzzlight Member Posts: 44
    I recently saw the Murano at an Auto show. It looks like a beefed up Toyota Matrix. The doors were open and there will not be a third row.
    If Nissan made the Murano at least a 7-seater, I think that it would be the hottest SUV in that segment since it not only offers the silky smooth VQ series engine and essential SUV stuff like VDC, it also offers CVT and standard 18" rims. It would sway a lot of Acura MDX/Honda Pilot buyers to Nissan. It already has the edge on the Pilot which will have no sunroof, no fog lights and no CVT upon release. But yet, people are already putting money down on the Pilot for a possible sale at MSRP. And why are people gladly overlooking those features and willing to pay MSRP? Because it has at least 7-passenger seating and is decently packaged. I think Nissan went after the wrong vehicle (Highlander/RX300) to compete with.

No wonder this board is quiet...
  • cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    Nissan should have brought over the X-Trail to compete with the Highlander. With a decent v6 the X-Trail would be great. Dumb minds still abound at Nissan of America.

http://www.nissan.com.au/x-trail_full/overview.htm

• porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    I completely agree with your comments on seating. If Nissan made the Murano a nicely packaged 7 seater there would be all kinds of hype. I just hope that they don't attempt to stretch it like GM did to their vehicle. Does that stretch job look awful or what?

The X-Trail is what people are looking for however, a reworking of the grill wouldn't hurt. It's a nice looking package that's successful elsewhere. Maybe Nissan will replace the X-Terra with the X-Trail (we can hope). It is an outdated platform that is more than just a little long in the tooth.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    If Nissan packages the interior similar to the way they do the Pathfinder and Xterra, prepare for a cramped driving position for taller drivers. Headroom and legroom is seriously lacking in the Nissan SUV's . . . particularly the Xterra.
    "Does that stretch job look awful or what?"

Awful is an understatement. Can you just imagine trying to make a turn on at a congested intersection in that thing?

Well at least when Buick inherits the Bravada from Oldsmobile, the reports say it will remain a 5-seater.

buzzlight- Maybe it's the angle at which that picture was taken? Because if the leg room is really that tight in a vehicle the size of the Murano, Nissan needs to get back on the drawing board and perhaps start from the inside and then out.
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    What's more, Nissan isn't even promoting the 5-seat nature of the Murano, instead emphasizing "premium seating for 2 couples" Seems like the Murano is basically a statement for "Todd & Buffy, Julian and Sandy" to show up at the country club with........fancy glass & all that!
    with Pilot and Pacifica. If they were aiming for Highlander they shoulda went with X-Trail. This thing is going to be way overpriced for what it is.
    The Murano looks like it rides lower than the Highlander. Do you still get the same ride height in the Murano as you do with other SUV's? My worry is that it would ride about as high as the Matrix (someone here says they saw one in person, and it looked like the matrix).

Also, can anyone tell me which month the Murano is set to launch?
    Thanks for posting the pic of the Murano at the auto show. Do you have any more pics?
    What's more, Nissan isn't even promoting the 5-seat nature of the Murano, instead emphasizing "premium seating for 2 couples" Seems like the Murano is basically a statement for "Todd & Buffy, Julian and Sandy" to show up at the country club with........fancy glass & all that!

Funny...but you're right that it seems Todd & Buffy, Julian and Sandy are the target demographic. If so, then Nissan wasted some development resources here.
    Man, that is cramped -- no better than my PF. I so desperately want to stay with Nissan since my PF has been bulletproof. But, I am really starting to need the flexibility of a 7-seater like the Acura MDX/Honda Pilot.
    Maybe it looks lower because of the 18" wheels, no?
  • onboost91onboost91 Member Posts: 86
    Here is a pretty interesting shot of the trunk/boot of the Murano. It has a tray underneath in which you can store smaller things.

http://autoworld.co.za/Img_Upload_News/208_45106.jpg

-Mark

• buzzlightbuzzlight Member Posts: 44
    In person, this thing looked really small, to me. It seemed low to the ground and the roofline also appeared to be low. It reminded me of the old Gremlin.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/37050739/37119161tcCWZj

people will buy anything if it hints of "SUV", however it seems like style over substance to me.
    What's with the storage tray? Maybe you could compartmentalize your golf balls or store those fancy sandwiches, you know, the ones with the crusts cut off?
    If Nissan is aiming this at the Highlander/Pilot or even Rendezvous, it has its work cut out. People will buy it, no doubt (can you believe how many buy Azteks?).

Of course it's attractive (I still don't like that huge blind spot), but looks can only take you so far.
    Comparing the overall dimensions of the two vehicles, it seems that the Murano is wider, longer, and just as tall as the Toyota Highlander (per the Murano specs listed at the "FreshAlloy.com" web site). However, per the pictures posted on this newsgroup, the Murano looks much smaller overall than the Highlander. The dimensions are as follows:

MURANO
    LxWxH: 187.5 x 74 x 66.5 inches
    Cargo Vol: 32.6/70.8
    Passenger vol: 110.0
    wheelbase: 111.2

HIGHLANDER:
    LxWxH: 184.5 x 72 x 66.5 inches
    Cargo Vol: 38.5/81.4
    Passenger vol: 105.7
    wheelbase: 107

Is the Murano really that large? If so, it seems to make far less use out of interior space when compared to the smaller Highlander.
    buzzlight: Gremlin? (OUCH!)

artdecho: another funny one -- fancy sandwiches with no crust in golf ball compartments. Sounds like Todd & Buffy, Julian and Sandy are really going to enjoy this vehicle.

diploid: i agree, it has its work cut out. i'd take it over the highlander and rendevous. but i'll take the pilot.

troyy2k: look at that cargo volume...wow! highlander has so much more. doesn't anyone haul stuff with their SUV anymore? i really don't get this, Nissan. I agree with you...it does seem to make far less use out of interior space.
  • daveghhdaveghh Member Posts: 495
    The Murano is not much smaller on the inside. Add up the cargo volume and passenger volume and that gives you the entire volume inside the vehicle.

Murano = 144.2
    Highlander = 142.6
    Totally stupid. They already have the X-Trail which is very comparable to the Highlander. Put a V-6 in it and you have a super competitive vehicle for far less money.

X-Trail ------ Highlander

69.5 "---- wide ---- 71.9"

177"---- long ---- 184"

66"---- tall ---- 68.3

If you haven't seen the X-Trail, see what North America (besides Mexico) is missing out on.

http://www.newxtrail.com/en/index_home.html

• aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Isn't the X-Trail truck based? I think the whole point of the Murano is to give Nissan a midsized car-based SUV, with the nice ride and handling that come along with that.
  • subzero206subzero206 Member Posts: 111
    whats the price range for this vehicle? i heard around $25k?
    Uni-body construction. That's what is frustrating. X-Trail has already been designed and is being built overseas. Then Nissan of America in their infinite wisdom decides to design and build an entirely new platform to sell to the U.S. masses. Personally I am hoping for a Murano bellyflop. Espcially after being told countless times by NOA Consumer Affairs dept. that the X-Trail is not suited for the American market.

I've hear price ranges anywhere from $28K-$35k for the Murano.
  • subzero206subzero206 Member Posts: 111
    who is gonna buy this Nissan that is priced like an Infiniti?
    Check out the video clip linked in the left navigation bar if you haven't already.

Steve
    Host
    You'd be surprised to see how many people pay 35K (or even more!) for a Highlander instead of an RX300.
    As cb70 says, it's car-based......was designed to offer all the benefits of an SUV without the gas-hogging weight, truck-like ride etc. etc. With the Altima V6, it could indeed compete with the Highlander but the Aussie/New Zealand version with the Altima 4 (175-180 h.p.) is not to shabby either, would be even less expensive, and would compete well against the CRV, Forester, Escape et al. Murano is just an overpriced luxury wagon for the country club set.
    I guess I'm one of the country club set because I like the looks of the Murano, and can't stand the look of the X-TRAIL. That dash design is absolutely horrible in my eyes and the exterior, while not as bad, seems to have been copied directly from the Highlander. I see nothing original about it that would make me choose it over the Toyota (which came out first btw?).

For me, while clearly less functional for offroading and hauling duties, the Murano has a good blend of looks and technology that really set it apart from the crowd. I do admit though that after watching the video of the Honda Pilot
    (which I find boring appearance-wise), it certainly isn't going to be a market-segment winner.
    over the Highlander in a walk. As for the Murano, I agree it looks pretty nice as far as station wagons go. That being said, I think the Pacifica is a far nicer wagon with more capacity. The Pilot is a much better SUV than the Murano. Either way, I believe the Murano is a dud.
    Regarding those measurements, I think Nissan prioritized passenger comfort over utility. Looks like it was the angle of the camera that made the Murano's leg room look small.
    I agree with what you are saying about the Pilot atleast. It is going to completely dominate the mid-size SUV market. Nothing I see out there looks like it even has a chance of competing.
    The Pacifica is indeed intriguing, but will it be anywhere near as reliable as the Murano? That is the question (Im actually curious to see how well the CVT holds up on the Nissan).
    ...I'd pick the Murano over it anyday. There's something about Chrysler and reliability that don't go together. And yes, I am also interested to see how that CVT will perform.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    Isn't the Murano a whole new platform? Nissan may be using reliable items from the company parts bin but they're all put together on a new platform. There will be reliability issues just like there were for the Altima and I'm sure for the Pacifica. The Pacifica though will appeal to a more traditional crowd. The Murano and Pacifica are after the same crowd but with different approaches. I think that the Pacifica will outsell the Murano because it's more flexible and "classic" in design approach.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
This discussion has been closed.