Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    ...but I must say, that in "any price range" I would have a Lexus IS300 instead! :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• ultratechultratech Member Posts: 142
    Hi my name is Jierong, I currently own a 03 corolla and I love my car so far. Pretty good car for $17,200 out the door ....
  • kronikflakeskronikflakes Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,
    My name is Joe and I live in Pasadena, CA. Last night I finally purchased a charcoal metallic (moonshadow as they call it), '03 Corrola Type S after much researching, calling around dealers all over Southern California, and actual going to the dealerships. I've got the sports package (which gives you alloy wheels and spoiler), power package, cruise control, CD/AM-FM/cassette, and some dealer add-ons for about $17,500 out the door (tax and fees included). What do you all think about this price? Is it reasonable? This Corolla is my very first experience with Toyota, and a Japanese car altogether. Previous to this Corolla, I drove a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo well equipped with all of the nice options(Infiniti Gold Speakers, powered seats and lumbar supports for driver and front passenger, heated mirrors, etc) for 7 years up to yesterday. It really is a nice car, but the gas mileage on it is just too much to handle, especially with the recent increase in fuel prices. Up until yesterday, I easily spent $300 - 400 a month on gas (we're talking 87-regular unleaded grade, folks!), although I don't really do distance driving, except in the weekend. I didn't trade in the car because the dealers that I went to just gave me really low quotes, way below the Kelly Blue Book. I'm going to try to sell it on my own so that hopefully I can get more out of it. Previous to the Cherokee, I drove a Dodge Minivan for 2 years. So as you can see, I've only had experiences with big, American cars before. I chose the Corolla because based on my research, the car should give me excellent reliability (unlike typical American cars), the replacement parts are cheaper, and most importantly, it's very economical on the fuel. So far, I'm quite happy with the way the car handles and accelerates, although I'm still not used to it. This morning when I drove the car on the freeway, I got freaked out a little bit because the car just flew and felt really light, even when I stepped on the gas lightly. I mean, it got to the higher speed fast!! I guess I'm used to the heavy, massive feel, and slower but steady, powerful accelaration feel of an SUV. It's a different feel of driving altogether, but it's exciting and I think I can learn to like it. I feel more agile on the road, that's for sure. Anyway, if any of you have interesting experiences with the car, whether it be purchasing experience, driving experience, or even if you know of any potential problems that I need to be aware of with this car, please share the experience with me. It would make my first time experience with this car a bit less daunting. I would deeply appreciate any opinion, advice, and stories. What should I/should I not expect from this car?
    PS: Jierong, what trim and options did you get with $17,200 out the door? Did you get the CE, LE or S type? Sports, power, cruise control as well? Where did you get your Corolla? I bought mine from Wondries Toyota in Alhambra.
    Thank you all for your time.
  • jsu1jsu1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, everybody, I just got my 03 Corolla LE two weeks ago, I paid the out the door price at $15824 (500 rebate, no interest special), the option is the CD/Cassette/6 speaker, mats. I am in Miami/FL, do you think the price is fair? I really love this car!
  • wzonedmundswzonedmunds Member Posts: 5
    Hi, everybody. I am Wei from Norwalk CT. Does anyone know whether the Corolla engine is made in Japan or US?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    corolla engines in corollas sold here are also produced here. The same is true for the Matrix. The transmissions are from Japan.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• twilite_kidtwilite_kid Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. I purchased my Matrix about 2 months ago and am absolutely in love with it. I look forward to my morning commute every day. Thank you to everyone whose comments I've been reading for the last few months. It really helped me in my decision to go with the Matrix.
  • madmac17madmac17 Member Posts: 2
    Hey, everyone. My name is Larry and I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. Just brought home my first Toyota yesterday, and I am so proud of my new baby. It's an Impulse Red '03 Corolla CE with automatic transmission. Just the basic model, but it is a beautiful machine. Drove it to Halifax and back (90 km) last night and it is a sweet ride. I did have a bit of a problem finding the most comfortable position for the seat and steering wheel, i.e. seat back far enough for leg comfort puts steering wheel too far away for arm comfort. But, I'm sure I'll be able to adjust it to a position I can live with. One suggestion to Toyota is to move the brake pedal an inch or two to the left, so it isn't so close to the gas pedal. Other than that, it's all good!
  • borathborath Member Posts: 10
    What's the difference with the "LE" "CE" etc...That everyone is talking about anyway?
  • borathborath Member Posts: 10
    I recently found a link to a website on here. It was something like: pressrelease.toyota.com or something like that.

On the site it had all of Toyota's models like the camry, corolla, etc... with a history of each car.

It listed the significant changes to the car year by year. Like what changed from 1996 to 1997. And talked about each new generation of all the models.

Does anyone know the site I'm referring to?
  • vnguyen5vnguyen5 Member Posts: 4
    Hello everyone,
    My name is Vivian. I've just purchased an automatic, 2004 Toyota Corolla LE, Luna Mist metallic with AM/FM/CD/Cass combo w/ 6 speakers, cruise control, trunk and 4-piece carpets - the basic. :) Loving it so far. It doesn't have as many automatic functions as my previously owned Camry LE V6, but it will do. One of the best things is its gas mileage. I'm driving it and loving it. Yippee!
  • canadaodyownercanadaodyowner Member Posts: 16
    Greetings to all,
    After a long absence I am back. see:

canadaodyowner Mar 6, 2002 6:29pm

Due to old age memory loss I forgot my former user id and re-registered as '03corollace'! Anyway, I am going to hang on to 'canadaodyowner' userid for my dear life because, think about it, I was the first member on this thread!

Anyway, I returned to share my cold start problem/solution:

03corollace "Toyota Corolla Owners: Problems & Solutions" Jan 29, 2004 1:41pm

Happy and Safe Driving to All.
  • omfsomfs Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am from central Canada. It is quite ironic that we bought an 01' Sentra 4 years ago after EXTENSIVE RESEARCH, but was not too happy about it. The loud engine noise, the rattling sound when going over bumps. Two years ago, I bought myself an 01' Corolla BY CHANCE, with only 3000 km on it, and I am so far absolutely happy with it. This time around, without much thinking, bought another 04' Corolla for my wife, and traded in that disappointing Sentra. Oddly enough, a demo car, with also 3000 km on it. We made the dealer take off $3500 off the new car sticker price (tax included). I think it was a great deal.

I think initial quality of the cars are the same, whether an Elentra or a Corolla. I test drove Civic, Corolla, Protege, and Elentra. Protege revs too high and too much engine noise, and does not fit my taste, and I have heard complaints about their longterm problems. Elentra drives exactly like my previous Sentra, (we are comparing an 01' Sentra with an 04' Elentra), and I would expect long term quality problems. Civic is very nice, but the engine feels weak (not a V-tec on my test vehicle), and not as spacious as the corolla. I do not know what kind of vehicle I would perchase next time around, but a Toyota product is definitely high on my list.

P.S. We just experienced the coldest winter in the past 50 years in Central Canada. One night, I parked my 01' Corolla on the driveway, and forgot to plug in the block heater. Next morning, the car started without a problem in this -40 c whether.

Thanks for reading this lengthy message. I guess all I wanted to say is that "best selling vehicle in the automobile history" means something.
  • epmusaepmusa Member Posts: 7
    Greetings to everybody!

First of all congratulations on the choice of car you've got! Corolla.

I got mine Oct 01, 1988 brand new made in Japan and it's 16 years old w/ 260,000 miles and running. Keeping it in good maintenance would let the car live longer. Change oil every 3,000 miles, tire rotation, and follow the manuals maintenance guideline walla! it works for me. This would be my 4th time in changing the timing belt and all the belts that goes with it. Always use original Toyota parts.

It just keeps on going with proper care.
  • frankjrffrankjrf Member Posts: 1
    I ordered a Corolla Sport 2/15/04 which was supposed to be built at the Fremont, CA factory 90 miles away. I specified side airbags, anti lock brakes, moonroof, cruise and a manual 5 speed transmission. The dealer tells me that the factory keeps declining to build my car each month and just leaves the order waiting for some unknown build date. My order was passed over in March and maybe February and it looks like it is being passed over in April 2004, too.

Can anyone tell me why the factory is ignoring my order? The dealer doesn't seem to know or won't tell me. I am pretty firm about what I want on the car but am worried that 2005 models may be here and I still won't have my car.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me on getting this car built, other that dropping all the features that I really want?
  • 94ludelvr94ludelvr Member Posts: 1
    frankjrf, i've had the same issue. My wife and I attempted to order the same car you've describe. After 3 rejections from Toyota we've given up waiting. It should never be that hard to order a Corolla with those options. I've been told by my Toyota rep that Toyota wanted to only build certain builds due to limited parts being available (side air, ABS, etc.) I think I have found the reason why they won't build that car....2005 Corolla XRS! Yup they were saving those parts in order to make more money off the XRS. Now, obviously, I cannot prove this but that's my theory! They just received an XRS Corolla at a Denver dealer and I'm going to drive it soon! Really sharp looking car AND with more POWER!
    U may have to take dealer stock and/or pay for the XRS!
  • bittoobittoo Member Posts: 5
    Hello, I just bought used 2000 corolla 116km. It came of 4yr lease. Phoned toyota canada with a V.I.N., and they told me from which dealer the car was purchased, Phone the service dept. at the dealer, and was able to get the service history of the car. The car is great and at very good price of $7000+tax.
  • lchenglcheng Member Posts: 1
    Hi, everyone!

I just purchased a 2005 Corolla CE last month and I couldn't say that I am entirely happy with the car nor the dealer. It was an O.K. deal and has gone bad with this "LoJack" tracing system. I am still waiting for my dealer to respond but it doesn't look very good at this point. I'll post a complete story when it ends.

For those of you wanted to buy a car, make sure you know what kind of system and service they offered. The problem with LoJack is that IT CAN NOT BE REMOVED once its installed. Another word, if it has a problem, you are doomed with it. That doesn't happen a lot, but it seems that I had the worse luck with any security systems. So, good luck to you all!
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    Number one Toyota-san for number one american!

So far, it seems to be a fine car
  • modestmousemodestmouse Member Posts: 53
    I just purchased my 2005 corolla S this last December. I can't say I'm completely satisfied w/ the car, though my quibbles are just minor things such as the lack of a cargo pocket/net on the backs of the seats, where am I supposed to store anything? at 17,500 total you'd think a 1ft square piece of cloth would come w/ the deal.

Otherwise the car is great. I love the manual transmission and the HWY gas miliage is phenomonal. 40+mpg pure HWY driving (I know cause I went on a road trip a month after I got er, talk a about a break in).

Some of the pannels on the dash have slightly warped too, I went to the dealer to get it fixed and they saidd they had to "order" them, but that was 2wks ago. Time to email them.

Great car so far, dealer was really nice too. I'm a college student so he had to work pretty hard to get Toyota Financial to Finance me, I even got 60 months aat 3.9 fixed. :) Can't say I feel ripped, but I thought the car was a little pricey, but it was the lowest in my area.

OK END, MM
  • lunasollunasol Member Posts: 1
    In November I purchased my corolla ce. I too have noticed a slight warp in the dashboard. (right about the cd player.) I haven't gone to the dealer about that though. Curious if anyone else is having the problem with the ignition though. When I drive for a 40 min period or so, turn off the car and try to start it back up in 20 to 30 min, the car will just crank and not start up until I turn the key to off position and try again. I took it to the dealer yesterday and he said that the computer runs a quick check of the system and if it sees even the most minut thing it won't allow you to start your car. He sent me on my way and said it's fine. Should a new car do this? I love the car though. Fun to drive. I've always owned toyotas and as long as they remain reliable I will always own only toyota! (seats could be made a little more confy though) My dad drove my car and it doesn't quite fit bigger people. Kind of a chick or small guy car!
  • graloscrs64graloscrs64 Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone, new member. I am searching for a used car for my first. I saw a 1992 Toyota Corolla on car soup 5 speed manual with 120,000 miles on it. Anybody own one of these cars?
  • greekboysdgreekboysd Member Posts: 1
    hey, i'm thinking about purchasing a 2005 Corolla CE Automatic for the advertised $11,000. Does this sound good to you?
  • wrenchdog1wrenchdog1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 96 Corolla with 49,000 miles. Hardly used and with absolutely no options.... I have a Sunetun mini tach out of my old Toyota pickup and was wondering where the coil is in this car.... I suspect it's part of the distributor? Theres a group of wires that plugs into the dist., does anyone know if thats where I should be looking? Any help would be, well, helpful. Thanks Chris....
  • kesseretkesseret Member Posts: 1
    In November 2004 my beloved 95 Toyota Tercel was smashed up in a collision. 10 years that car never gave me a lick of trouble. So when everything was settled in December I went searching for a new car. First choice: Toyota, second choice Honda. I didn't want a new car, wanted a slightly used one (as in let someone else take the big depreciation hit). All the dealerships in my area were pushing to finance, wouldn't accept I was going to pay cash, and some actually blocked me from leaving the dealership until I raised my voice and bolted out the door. Almost all of them wanted me to sign a piece of paper (prior to negotiations) that I would purchase the car if we agreed on a reasonable price [meaning - reasonable to them, not me]. The cars I were looking at were 2002 Jetta and 2001 Honda Civic. So I drove 300 miles to the dealer I purchased my Tercel from and picked up a nice 2002 Corolla S for cheap - only 29k miles, with the Platinum Extra Care warranty -under my price range *and* without hassles all he did was ask me if I wanted it. I love this car, I get 34 mpg, it's more powerful than my Tercel, and roomier. I know it's only a Corolla, but compared to what I had before it makes me feel like a Queen! Only problem is I hear the Cruise Control relay click on first time I set cruise. I figure if that's all I have to complain about in 10 years, then I come off real easy!
  • toyotacortoyotacor Member Posts: 2
    Love my new corolla... its got a smooth ride, got a great music system, gives great mileage... everything my 1996 Infinity G20 didnt have - which btw in my opinion is a junk car which gave me nothing but trouble.
    Have only driven 400 or so miles in the past 2 weeks ... Planning a road trip on July 1st... cant wait.
  • silverplumsilverplum Member Posts: 1
    Hi, My name is Mike and i live in PA. Just purchased by Corolla yesterday and I am elated. Will be driving this baby 200 miles round trip to work 2-5 days a week so the miles will add up fast!! Looking forward to learning from some experts on here about their knowledge and experiences with the Gen 9 Corolla. Last car was a "99 Saturn SL2 I had for 6 years and 137K miles. The Saturn treated me very well but the Corolla feels like a step up.
  • sm1975sm1975 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    My name is Soumit, I have just purchased a Used Toyota Corolla, Truly speaking I am fond of Honda, But due Fate I got a good deal for this car. I had to go thru maintenance. This is my first car. But still child hood I am fond of CARs. I love to know more about car engines. Will start bugging you all with lots of questions. I really Like the car. The features are too good. Only thing I miss is a Sun Roof.
  • sm1975sm1975 Member Posts: 3
    I got the SRS Air Bag Light Blinking, I got it checked in one place they told me the code 44 is coming with there intial computerized checkup. I asked the dealer about it he said such code does not exist. I don't want people to fool me up
    Can any one tell me what this code means?
    Does this code exist? Looking on net I found for Ford this code exist.
    Do different cars have different codes?
    Do I need to look into it immediately.
  • corolla1987corolla1987 Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone,
    I am new here and I recently bought my first Toyota.My previous cars have been GM models.
    My brother is a big fan of Toyota--he says that will all he will ever own.He currently has a 1999 Corolla and a 1996 Tacoma truck.

I recently bought my 1987 Toyota Corolla dirt cheap--only $300.It has 187,600 miles.It is a 4 door sedan.It has the 1.6 liter.It's a carbureted model.
    It is two-toned color--silver and grey.The interior is black and grey.
    People are surprised when I tell them it is 18 years old.It looks almost like new!
    It has no rust and the interior is flawless.Nice car.

It has an overdrive transmission that shifts very smoothly.It still has the original wheels.
    For the price the car is better than I expected.It burns no oil or has any major defects. However I am having a problem with the alternator.For some reason the car has went through 3 alternators and I've had the car for 5 months.
    I'd say that was the reason that guy sold it to me so cheap,but I feel it was well worth fixing.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    It also has 73 hp and its slow. Its so slow that if you have the AC on, top speed is 75mph. It will go 20 more without it. However, it gets great gas mileage and its has the best seats that Toyota ever made. Those seats are extremely comfortable and it makes a wonderful traveling car. The guages in those cars are cool too. Toyota stopped doing it, because of Lexus.

I owned a 85 Corolla SR5 many years ago. I also had a 77 DX Sedan, 89 GT-S, and I still own a 95 DX Sedan.
  • corolla4kikicorolla4kiki Member Posts: 4
    Hi. I'm from PA and have been researching a new car for a few months, i test drove a spectra, a spectra5, a new corolla ce, and an 03 corolla le, liked the spectra but not enough to buy it, and i liked the ce, but i wanted an le, but couldn't afford a new le, so we tried a slightly used 03 le and loved it! It has cruise and all the nice standard features, and it's a manual (which i like), and i love the gas mileage i'll be getting! i look forward to picking it up tomorrow! I wonder if i paid too much b/c i could definately haggle more with the kia dealers, but then again, toyota is much more sought after and it holds its value longer, so i figured i'd take the deal and go instead of haggling too much- it doesn't matter, i would've bought it anyway!! I plan on only buying Toyota from now on anyways, it's all my grandmother ever drove and it worked well for her, so it will work for me, too!
  • wabiswabis Member Posts: 9
    i've an offer for 2006 Toyota Corolla LE f0r $17800 drive out, is it worth? with std features and 6 disc changer
  • jamesbaldjamesbald Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up a '94 Corolla Special today. 170,000 kms, great condition (body & mechanical). Excellent 2nd family car. Bought it to save on fuel while commuting. I hadn't driven a standard trans in over 10 years, kinda missed it. This is my first Toyota but have always been impressed by their reliability. Any input about this car would be appreciated. Good year, bad year??...
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    The Corolla is about the most reliable car you can buy! No issues for '94. As long as prior owner was good with all fluid changes, it will be fine.
  • viveknairviveknair Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,
    I'm Vivek, I live in hopkins, mn.
    I got my 91 5 speed corolla last week. The car was clean and without rust (only a couple of small spots). i got it at 107,600 miles and am pretty sure it will go for more. the 5 speed is just great. it gives me good control of the car and hopefully more mileage. just take it alternative weeks to office (car pool) and weekend visits to cousins'.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    ....may not be what attracts most; reliability is the most important aspect of any given vehicle to me. This may not be known by most, in fact I just found out about it a couple months ago myself, but the Corolla has the best reliability record of any model, by any make, over the entire history of the automobile. That's pretty impressive!

That said, I recently purchased a '99 Corolla (5 speed) with 64.5K miles. Its stout record, along with having owned other Toyota vehicles and liking them prompted me to buy a Corolla. The car the Corolla is replacing, a '93 Tercel, has also been a very good car. It now has 138K miles and is now my Daughter's car. I never had a lick of trouble with this car and I know it will be a very reliable ride for my Daughter.

While there isn't much of a size difference between the Tercel and Corolla, these two cars are very different. For one thing, the Tercel is a base model and has absolutely no options whatsoever. The Corolla on the other hand is a completely optioned out LE model and seems like a baby Lexus compared to the Tercel. Its interior is plush and comfortable and the ride is more like a mid sized car than a compact. Its slightly larger engine (1.8 compared to the Tercel's 1.5) feels much more powerful and responsive.

If my previous Toyotas are any indication of how well built this Corolla is, I can easily see this car lasting 200K miles with nothing more than the required preventitive maintenance (i.e., fluid and filter changes, tires, belts brakes, etc.).
  • joel_in_nolajoel_in_nola Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I'm Joel and I just bought a Corolla. Its a Bright Silver MEtallic Corolla S with the convenience package. I had originally wanted the new 06 Civic LX, but, they are all usually bought before they even hit the lots around here. None of the local dealers are willing to charger less than $500 OVER STICKER for them.

My previous car was a 1993 Honda Accord who's biggest problem was a dead auto tranny at 97K miles. It got flooded in Katrina. I went around looking and trying to buy cars and found that, because the Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic retained their value so well, I could buy them with less money down than any other comperable car (Focus, MAzda3, Elantra, Spectra, Cobalt, etc) My credit rating is horrid due to being jobless for a good chunk of last year. Since I have only a limited amount of money to put down, and really need a car to get to and from work (my loaner got called back in) I was in a pickle and needed to buy a car.

Long story short, I now have the above mentioned corolla. I love this car! Its got as much get up and go as my old accord. Its got a larger trunk, as much interior room, and a better ride. Its got all the features you really need and want in a car. The stereo system is decent with good imaging and adequate bass. The car looks sporty and handles well enough in the turns. Hopefully, it will live up to its EPA gas mileage ratings. The old accord gave me around 30 mpg on the highway at 80 mph. It did around 24 mpg in the city with the A/C on, and 26 with it off. If I can get in the mid 30s on the highway and 30 in the city, I'll be doing well.
    :)
    Congratulations on the new car! You made the right choice! The Corolla may not be the coolest, newest, etc., but it is the most reliable, and the best value of any car. Good luck!
  • mjruizsrmjruizsr Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I've have owned 3 Corollas, a 93 Wagon 218,000 miles(still own) 91 5 speed sedan 215,000 miles(sold this year) and my latest, an 87 Corolla Sr5 89,000 miles. This is going to be my spring time "pimp my ride" car. All I have to say is, the Corolla is the most reliable car ever made. The only other car I'd ever upgrade to will be a Lexus. You can't beat the gas mileage and dependability you get out of these vehichles.
  • paulcudlippaulcudlip Member Posts: 33
    Really like the way it handles, quality and the reliability. Been buying Toyotas for years!
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Currently has 188,000.
  • corollaaddictcorollaaddict Member Posts: 9
    Hi I am Jeff, from Toronto.
    Got a corolla from parents so I can drive to work (current on co-op, that's why), but hopefully I can pay for the car and fully own it soon, so I can add all the accessories I want :D . Nevertheless, still loving the Rolla's mileage and sufficient features to entertain me when I ma bored.
  • ihscoutloverihscoutlover Member Posts: 1
    My name is Jeff and I just bought a 1996 Corolla DX that is going to need some TLC. It hit a concrete culvert and now I am going to go get it on the 2nd of May near the OH/PA border. I have acquired it since the constant rise of gas prices that are making my v-8 Police car a thing of the past. I look forward to making some more psots once I get this thingy home and tear into what needs to be repaired and what needs to be kept where it is. I hope some of the membership if could help me once I run into problems with them to help me get it figured out. Thanks for the time and I hope to see many replies.

Jeff
  • nancyscarnancyscar Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,
    My name is Nancy and I am a new member of the Toyota family. Bought my first Toyota (2006 Corolla) 5 days ago and I love, love, love, it! I haven't even put the first tank of gas in it yet as the dealer did that for me. My Corolla is a CE with auto transmission and what a joy it is to drive. I had been driving a 1994 Nissan Sentra with stick shift for the last 12 years and only had 56,718 on the Nissan but the body was falling away around it. :cry: I live in a very hilly geographic area and the stick shift really took effort to drive and was stressful when having to stop atop a steep hill. I am looking forward to having a long love affair with my new Corolla. ;)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi Nancy, welcome!

I hope you will explore all of our Corolla discussions as well as the rest of our Forums. You'll find that we have a lot to offer and we'd love to have your input.

Also, don't miss our new feature, http://www.carspace.com. You can post pictures of your new Corolla and make all kinds of new friends.

Have fun - here in the Forums and with your new ride!! :)
    Congrats! I am sure you will really love the Corolla. You can't beat the reliability and value - just complete the maintenance listed in the owner's manual and it will serve you well. I am on my 2nd Corolla (3rd Toyota) and would not buy anything else.

Problem is that my family is growing, and my '99 LE 5 speed stick is smaller than the current Corolla, so I may have to get rid of it in a few years. I don't want to, because my wife is like you (doesn't like stick), and she wants me to get an automatic next time so she can drive it too and not get all stressed out driving a stick.
  • serbradserbrad Member Posts: 2
    My last car was a 97 Corolla DX and I plan on buying another one. I got hit by a red light runner a couple of weeks ago, and with the insurance money, I'm hoping to pop right back into another one that's how much I loved it.
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Hi! Name's Iris. I see it's been a full year since anyone's posted. Thought I'd post this here since I still have mine!

I've had this car for 9 years this week! I bought it when it had just less than 10,000 miles on it, and now it's got slightly less than 124.5K miles on it. It's been a dream, easily the best car I've ever had. This year was the first time I had to put it in the shop for something that wasn't minor maintenance. The starter went out after 8 years, and a door handle broke off after years in the hot Oklahoma sun. However, I fixed that myself rather than blow money at the dealer to fix it. I also lost a wheel bearing this year. I've put maybe 3 sets of tires on it since I've had it, which I don't consider excessive, and lucky, given the potholes that develop around here! I ripped out the cupholders as well as the door to the storage area underneath the air conditioning controls. The cupholder bracket was interfering with the electric plugin that I used for my portable CD player. I've got a bulb out on the instrument cluster but I can still read the gauge.

I've yet to change a headlight in it, although I did change both brake lights last year. Now I'm noticing signs that the transmission is perhaps starting to go, not sure what that's about. Oh, and I'm still running on the original Japanese plugs! Still just bump the key and it starts, no cranking!

At any rate, I have no real complaints about the service I've gotten out of this car. This is my fifth car in 27 years, and I've had some real losers. My last two were this Corolla and a Corolla in Chevrolet clothing called the Nova, and between them I've gotten 19 years of service out of them.

Now that it's time to start thinking about what my next car will be, part of me says I'd be silly to consider anything but another Corolla. But it sure would be nice to have something with utility, that I could take, say, a TV set or a wing chair I find at a garage sale. Plus because of the cooperation between the foreign and domestic carmakers interchanging parts, even American-made 4 cylinders are better by far than they used to be. With the Corolla, you get a car that you'll never have to change the timing belt on - because it has a chain! All Corollas since the late 90s have had timing chains rather than that annoying belt such as that which broke on my Nova! So, even though I hate the generation 9's body style and those round tail lights, and the lack of black trim around the windows, I could do worse than yet another Corolla. If I move up to the LE, I get a CD player AND some classy wood-like trim!

Oh, and another thing my '98 has over the newer ones is the cool wheel covers. The recent Corollas have the ugliest wheels I've ever seen.
  • brazilusabrazilusa Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm Justin and I live in Farmington, MI. I own a 1995 Toyota Corolla DX w/ the 1.8L 7AFE and manual transmission. Faded original red paint. Over 220,000 miles now. Replaced the alternator a few times. Added bigger headers and complete exhaust. Iridium plugs and better wires. Short shifter, front strut tower brace, springs, struts. Take it to Toyota dealers and they can't find anything wrong with the powertrain.
This discussion has been closed.