Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Basic Maintenance Questions

Comments

• championwchampionw Member Posts: 7
    I have a 7 year old corolla only about 40K milage (most from local commute).
    The corolla has so great quality that it hasn't brought any trouble to me ao far.
    I only ask the oil change every half year and did a mini 30k maintance 3 years ago.
    Do I need some more service now? such as tun the timing, drain the coolant ?
    I know nothing about the car, so thanks in advance for advice.

I asked the dealer one time, no surprise he wanted to sell me the most expensive
    package.
  • salina02ussalina02us Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone,
    When I purchase a new 05 Corolla LE, they offer the Prepaid Maintance Program for $995, the program including 4 yrs. Roadside service up to $100 max (each service, e.g locksmith, gas...), 11 times oil change coupons & 15000 & 45000 miles maintances upto 55000 milses, I want to know how you guys think? it good to have it or just pay everytimes when the service need.
    Thank you
  • johnb4johnb4 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Corolla also burns oil like its going out of style. We bought is brand new, and had put about 115K miles on it when we noticed it was eating oil. We took it to the Toyota dealership and were told that it was the rings; a problem that was known to Toyota during that year. They also said that the remedy was to replace the engine. The aluminum block cannot be bored out and re-ringed. Cost estimate (from the dealership...) about $6000! My wife's '84 Corolla (which she bouoght new) went nearly 300K miles! We bought the 2000 largely on the merits of her old one.
  • hardlymovinghardlymoving Member Posts: 3
    I'd join triple A for $50 a year for roadside service and pay $20 for an oil change @ 4K miles if I were you. Lot cheaper than $995.
  • hardlymovinghardlymoving Member Posts: 3
    How often did you change the oil before noticing the oil burning problem? If you were going over 5K miles between engines, then you were playing with fate and lost. If you don't like the hassle of changing the oil, then switch to Mobil I synthetic. At least 10K miles between oil changes.

2000 Corollas have the 1ZZ-FE alum. block engines with cast iron sleeves. The iron sleeves, I believe, can be replaced ... so yes, it sounds like the dealer is trying to rip you off. You can also consider getting a low milage used motor from a junk yard and swapping it with your existing motor. Figure around $1,500 for labor. Don't know the used price for low milage engines.
  • sm1975sm1975 Member Posts: 3
    I got the SRS Air Bag Light Blinking, I got it checked in one place they told me the code 44 is coming with there intial computerized checkup. I asked the dealer about it he said such code does not exist. I don't want people to fool me up
    Can any one tell me what this code means?
    Does this code exist? Looking on net I found for Ford this code exist.
    Do different cars have different codes?
    Do I need to look into it immediately. :confuse:
  • jarieljariel Member Posts: 1
    hi I 'm changing the oil or at least attempting to change the oil on my 1998 toyota corolla.I unscrewed one of the the screws that i tought would empty out my old oil. the oil that came out was not too thick it was brownish. I then for curiosity checked the dip stick to check the oil level and it looked regular I'm wondering did I unsrew the correct one or not? Could I have unscrewed something else other than oil? :P :sick:
  • rnd243rnd243 Member Posts: 1
    Check the transmission fluid.
  • toyotaspeedtoyotaspeed Member Posts: 1
    Hello
    If the noise you hear come from the rear wheels,you should check if the brake shoe have enough lube(grease) in between the shoe and plate. I Think you have the same problem I have on my 1997 corrola

Bye
  • ludwigivanludwigivan Member Posts: 1
    Hi, my 1998 corolla makes a squeaking sound every time I turn in on in the mornings, eventually the sound stops after i've driven for about 5 - 10 minutes, after it warms up a little bit. I'm not sure exactly where the noise is coming from I just know it's coming from the front, any ideas?

thanx
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    Probably the sound is from a loose belt. Have all your belts inspected and/or replaced.
  • poliva2poliva2 Member Posts: 25
    Hi
    Im new to this board, so here it goes.. Today, I went to Sears to get the tires on my 1999 Toyota Corolla changed . The technician said im going to need a Wheel Alignment, So I agreed. The car dries like a dream. No pulling and it drives straight as an arrow. Now i go online, and im blown away to see how many complaints and reports of fraud that were aimed at Sears, My question is , will this wheel alignment cause problems down the road? The technician gave me a printed before and after summary report on the alignment. it seems like its in the specified range. I would like to share it with this board for your advise... Please help!!
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Everytime you get a set of tires, you need an alignment to ensure that the tires will have a long life. After a wheel alignment, the car goes straight down the road. Tires wear out faster when they pull significantly one way or another. The car must have been really bad before the alignment was done.

Who cares what anyone else thinks about the Sears brand, when your particular Sears tire place did it correctly for you.

Enjoy your new tires!
  • capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    You don't always need an alignment. If your car drifts to one side or you have uneven tire wear you could need an alignment. Or you could just need to check your tire pressure.

Getting an alignment won't hurt anything other than your pocketbook. A car with new tires could be driving like a dream just because of the new tires, or it could be due to the alignment. Without actual measurement data taken at the source it is hard to say.

Gotta watch what these places "recommend" these days.
    There's people that don't know what an alignment is. The same goes for keeping a tire pressure guage in the car. The steering wheel could be upside down and someone would still drive it in that condition.

Sometimes you need some help in life.

After seeing some roads in this country, I don't know how some people even keep their cars in any sort of alignment. I just got back from a big camping trip in VT and its amazing how some states are much better than others in their "road conditions".
  • jen8jen8 Member Posts: 1
    Just had my usual 6 mo. oil change and mechanic suggested I have the coolant flushed. Can I put this off and go to 50K on an 01 Corolla?
    He also pointed out that the tires need to be replaced soon - am I disillusioned to think they should have lasted longer? Does Michelin/Toyota not put 60K tires on the new cars? Do I need to go Michelin on the replacements?
  • capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    Generally, I don't listen to the service advisors at the desks. They are much more salesman than mechanic. If an actual wrench turner makes the recommendation, I pay more attention. I would use the service guide that came with the car for service decisions. If the book calls for a flush at 36k or so, I'd do it. Be careful with the distinction between extreme conditions and normal conditions. Most people have vague notions of extreme conditions to be racing and off road use. But actually daily city driving in heavy traffic with lots of idle time at lights and stop and go is extreme conditions.

Check the tires on the car for a UTQG number that should be something like 300 A B. The number is the treadwear compared to some baseline standard. If yours isn't in the neighborhood of 500 or higher, it's not a 60,000 mile tire. If you haven't rotated the tires regularly, you'll get more wear on the fronts. Is the mechanic telling you to get a new set of 4 or just 2?
    Generally, Toyota will put the cheapest tire but average quality they can put on the car unless you get like a optional tire/wheel package. However, the more you spend on the car, the higher the probablity of getting decent tires. An Avalon will have nicer tires than say a Echo.

I know my new xB has those GoodYear "somethings" with average ratings. I noticed that those same tires were on my Dad's new Corolla S as well.
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    Thinking of attempting my first oil change on our '94 Corolla... questions:

1- can I use a Mityvac pump to get the oil out? I know it works on several different makes/models, not sure about our car.
    2- where is the filter located? I'm guessing that it's underneath so I may need jacks and perhaps I should bypass the mityvac and just drain the oil out...? [prefer to go with mityvac since I have another car that I can use it with and the filter is accessible from the engine bay]
    3- is it okay to switch to synthetic for this car? primary motivation is to reduce frequency of oil changes (from 3K miles to 7.5K miles).

Thanks.
  • rm_carrm_car Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have Corolla 99 44K mileage some how last couple of days I hear kit-kit sound while starting and it fails to start in first attempt. It did start affter a few tries.
    Not sure what the problem is. I can switch on my lights etc not sure if its battery or starter or what? How to figure out.
    Please help. Thanks in advance.
  • beernutbeernut Member Posts: 329
    Could be a bad battery after six years - or maybe bad (loose) battery post connections or ground to block. Have a trusted mechanic load test it.

A non-trusted mechanic will sell you a battery whether you need it or not.
  • tallty519tallty519 Member Posts: 1
    Hello I have a 1997 Corolla that I really like. However, it needs either a new 3 Speed tranny or a rebuilt one. Does anyone know a dealer? Also...I was wondering if anyone knew what it would take to convert the 3 Speed Auto to a 5 Speed Manual? I would like the improved mileage of the 5 speed and to get every ounce of performance I can out of this little car. My best tank of gas lasted 385 miles! What can I say...I'm a college student and I want to get maximum bang for my buck. PLEASE REPLY SOON as I leave for school in a week! Thanks!
  • kanukanu Member Posts: 19
    I bought this car four years ago when it was 65K from local dealer who don't know the history of past services. So, I replaced gasket and timing belt when 80K. I have not taken my car to dealer for services (I'm cheap) but just have oil change every 3,000 mile at Walmart. The car seem trouble free until last month, the alternator was gone when it was 101K. It was replaced.

I plan to use this car as long as possible. I want to go the dealer and start to have maintenance service at 100K as recommended by the manual. But I don't know what else I should change besides these? Or just let them tell me, but I expect they may include something unnecessary. Please help.

Thanks.
  • toyotagirltoyotagirl Member Posts: 1
    When I brake, I hear a squeaking noise on the right side of my car and the car jerks a little bit when it stops and vibrates a bit when I am stopped. I have had new struts, brake pads and calipers put in the car in the last 6-8 months. Any suggestions? Sound was worse after I got my tires rotated.
    Check the the axle and the disc brake (front).
  • jen7705jen7705 Member Posts: 2
    Are these pre paid maintenance agreements a good idea? I just purchased a Corolla S 2005 Auto. The dealer told me that they did not sell them. I was surprised and skeptical. I went on the Toyota website and found info on their plan but no pricing. Does anyone know? When I called Toyota Customer Center they did not have an answer and because they could give me "conflicting answers" they referred me to their corporate HQ. How strange! 1. Are these worth it? 2. how much should I expect to pay? 3. How can I get one since my dealer won't sell it? Thanks!
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    It sounds as though your dealer is being ethical. the pricing that Toyota has for the pre-paid maintanence is between 20-100% more than paying for the services seperately in the service department with the only added benefit that you get roadside assistance for the extra cost. It isn't something that I usually recommend for most, other than for those leasing a vehicle for business as they can include it in the lease and use it as part of the write-off for the business.

Just my $.02

Ken
  • jen7705jen7705 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you. This is EXTREMELY helpful. I think I will most likely still go to the Toyota shop but pay for each service separately at the time I bring my car in. Question: Do you think I should go to another shop other than Toyota if I get a better price. I'm thinking most likely not since this may potentially invalidate my 7-yr warranty. Thoughts? Thanks!
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    You are not in any way required to have your maintanence done at your Toyota dealer to keep your warranty in force. However, MOST dealers are relatively cost conscious (within a couple of dollars anyway) of a place down the street who only uses 18yr olds being paid minimum wage but have factory trained technitians who will give your Toyota a full look over at each service interval to be a bit more pro-active. Just my suggestion again, but even if there is a small added expense, it's well worth it to have a factory trained tech working on your car each time its in for service.

Glad to be of help.

Ken
  • bhaskar1bhaskar1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,
    Since last 10 days or so, I hear a ticking sound from the right front side of my 03 corolla. It happens mostly when I first start the engine in the morning and disappears after around 10 minutes or so. It does not always happen but around 90 percent of the time.

Can any one please let me know whether there is anything serious about it. I had it checked by a dealer and he says the sound is because of corroded brake pads but I am skeptical. I have put on 29700 miles on it so far and have always gone for maintenance every 3500 miles. The dealer says I need to pay 189 dollars to get those replaced:-(

Please advise.

thanks
    Bhaskar
  • mandycmandyc Member Posts: 1
    Hi, i'm thinking about buying a 98 corolla LX from a dealor, i really like it, just that it has alot of miles on it (117,000)

It's my first time to buy a used car, please give me some advice on what i should pay attention to.

THANKS!
  • babytalkbabytalk Member Posts: 1
    bhaskar1, I got exactly the same problem with my car. Mine is Corolla 2003 as well. But I forgot to ask dealder when I brought the car in for service today. :mad: My car had 23000 miles now, and I do the maintenance every 7500 miles.
  • waxandgowaxandgo Member Posts: 1
    I am going to rebuild the old chariot, however I stripped the motor while in the car and now want to separate the tranny from the block, and take out the block but the motor mount bolts will not come off. Is there a way to take out the studs from the mounts? the motor mount has a stud with nuts on both sides. Anyone out there know how to get the block out?
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    Answering my own questions here....

1- used the mityvac last weekend and it worked beautifully!
    2- found the filter... it's on real tight (though I can reach it from above), will need to work on getting that off this weekend.
    3- switched over to Mobil Syntec Blend 7500... oil changes will be on a less frequent basis now.
  • dhrdhr Member Posts: 4
    I have to engage my clutch sometimes 2 or 3 times before my car starts. Is my clutch going bad or does something need to be adjusted. It does not happen everytime. Anyone know?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Your clutch is fine, but I need a little more info -

When you turn the key and it does not start, do you hear anything or is it just silent?

If it is silent, then it is not starting because of the clutch safety switch. It could be because the switch is going bad, or just because a floormat is in the way. If you disengage the clutch (press the clutch all the way down to the floor) HARD, does it start?

Just curious, how many miles? Ever had any other problems? I have a '99 LE 5 speed.
  • grego2grego2 Member Posts: 1
    I've always been a North American car owner but decided to try something different. The steering linkages etc of my 1988 Ford requires grease periodically - normally I do this every oil change.

Is this required for my new Corolla?
    No. See the owner's manual for maintenance schedules.
    It is silent. Yes if I push the clutch in again it usually starts. Where is the clutch switch located? Is it something I can change myself?
    I would say it is definitely the clutch not being all the way to the floor or maybe a bad (or going bad) switch. It is located under the dash, near the pivot point of the clutch pedal. Are you sure that a floormat is not in the way, or maybe you just aren't pressing the pedal to the floor?

How many miles on your '99? Any problems so far?
    I will be a little more descriptive - the switch is mounted on the vertical surface of the wall between the engine and the passenger compartment, where the top of the arm of the clutch meets the wall when disengaged (pushed down). Looks really easy to change out, if necessary.
  • abhijitduttaabhijitdutta Member Posts: 4
    I was getting a noise from the 2000 Toyota Corolla VE Engine. It was coming when I was pressing the brake and sometimes when I was accelerating below 40 MPH. I went to the dealer and they told the engine oil was low and added some engine oil I don't get now. They said there may be engine problem which is burning the engine oil. If it's true I have to spend $3000 - $4000 to rebuild the engine. It's a 2000 Corolla and has got a low mileage (60 K). How do I know whether they are telling the truth or not?
  • abhijitduttaabhijitdutta Member Posts: 4
    Take the car to a good mechanic for pre purchase inspection. Try to find out the condition of the engine, transmission, brakes etc.
    Still working on the problem. It does make a click noise. If I put my foot higher up on the pedal it usually starts. It has 157000 miles on it. GREAT CAR! I ordered the switch because it is only 17.00. I want to change it myself. Is it difficult? I am female but somewhat capable of mechanical repairs if they are small. I was thinking it might be the battery or starter but I think they would have gone totally out by now.
    If you hear a click from under the hood when you turn the key, it is the starter motor contacts - either replace the contacts or the whole starter. The starter motor will act like this for a while until it gradually completely wears the contacts. The clicking will become more frequent, then it eventually just won't start. Of course, another advantage of a stick is you can always just roll-start it by popping the clutch, even if your starter is completely dead. Have you ever had any other repairs in the 157,000 miles? Just curious.
    I replaced the clutch master cylinder about 3 years ago. Other than that just tires and brake pads and oil changes. I have not replaced a single belt and have not broken down on the road (knock on wood). I like manual trasmission but I think I might go automatic next time due to the amount of traffic I sit in. I try to use my clutch the least I possibly can.
    Thanks for all your help. I will let you know how it goes.
  • tonygrovetonygrove Member Posts: 13
    My Corolla LE of 1998 has about 65k miles on it. Do I have to replace the timing-belt? The bottom line, is it still a must to replace the timing-belt on Corolla's of the past 10 years?

I called Toyota's 1-800 number. The customer service rep read off the maintenance manual and said since the manual only says "inspect" the timing belt, it's not necessary to "replace" it.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    '98 and newer have timing chains. You don't have to do anything.
  • alpine1alpine1 Member Posts: 51
    The Corolla maintenance book indicates that propeller bolt needs to be re-torqued as required maintenance. I know of no other front wheel drive car that has this requirement. What is the propeller bolt?
    I think this is for AWD or 4 wheel drive vehicles only - does not apply to the Corolla. Check to be sure you are looking at the correct section of the maintenance book.