Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2003-2008 Toyota Corolla Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• fer2fer2 Member Posts: 3
    I am planning to buy 2008 CE with Power window, doors and cruise .. what will be the decent price. I am getting quote 14.8 + 231 (DMV, ttl )... Is it good deal ?
  • geryogerygeryogery Member Posts: 1
    1. Research the car on the internet. Look up the retail price, invoice price, the average selling price, price of options, and any rebates offered.
    2. Email all your local dealers and ask for quotes. Even if you are not planing on visiting the dealer, get a quote anyway! The more quotes, the better.
    3. Plan what dealers you will visit and plan a route. Don't plan on just visiting one dealer and getting a good deal. Start your day early; if the first dealers fails, go to the next.
    4. Be strong and confident when u visit the dealer. After all, you will have a folder with all your internet research printed out. Those quotes and prices you got will be very powerful weapons when it comes time to deal. Do not show the least bit of intimidation, they will take full advantage of it.
    5. Be defiant. They will try to control you. If they ask you to wait, don't wait, go walk around and see more cars. If they ask you to fill something out, tell them you will fill it out as soon as you agree to the right price. If they want to discuss how you will pay or if you have a trade-in, then again tell them that first you need to agree on the price. You can even get up and use the restroom in the middle of the deal; show them you will not be controlled.
    6. Decide what you want to pay and DON'T BACK DOWN. If that's all you can pay, then that's all you can pay. Explain to the dealer why you feel the car is only worth that much and make sure you stick to it. Don't even let them talk you into paying a couple hundred more; after all, would you hand me a couple hundred just for the heck of it?
    7. If all else fails, walk away and tell them you will think about it. Visit another dealer.

What kind of a deal did I get? Not a bad one.
    Corolla Sport.
    Retail: $18,100.00
    My Price: $15,000.00
  • fer2fer2 Member Posts: 3
    Great,,Thanks a lot for the detailed information ! also 15K is un imaginable price ..one dealer did n't come down to me below 16.5K$...

What is the package infor u got for Sport model , just the Extra value Package ?
  • cargirl14cargirl14 Member Posts: 4
    Wow!! Wished that I saw this site earlier. I thought that I got a good deal now I am not so sure anymore. Live in NJ. On Dec 31st: I purchased a 2008 LE Corolla Demo model with just under 6,000 miles on it. Automatic with added features of ABS, Side Airbags, Audio package with cruise, weather package. Got it for $15,600 plus additional taxes and tags, etc. Got it down from $18,300 MSRP to ly $16,200 then with a $600 rebate it was $15,600. I They told me got a good price. Honestly, did I now considering already had miles? Oh, also got them to give me 4 oil changes/filter coupons. (had no trade ins)
  • hfzeushfzeus Member Posts: 39
    Unfortunately, I think you were robbed. I got the same car, new, for less. Plus unlimited free oil changes and state inspections.

This is a great site for researching pricing before you buy. Now that you found it, hopefully you'll do much better on your next car.
  • cathy_carbuyercathy_carbuyer Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I am getting e-mail quotes from dealers in the Portland, OR area for a 2008 Corolla CE. The average price seems to be around $15100-$15200. This includes the Upgrade package (power doors/locks), floor mats, weatherguard package and cruise control.
    A rebate of $1000 is factored into this price.

Does this seem like a good price for this car? Should I wait till the '09 Corollas come out to buy an '08?

Thanks,
    Cathy
  • smokey15smokey15 Member Posts: 11
    you should be able to get an additional $1,000 - $1,200 off , plus the $1,000 rebate for a total of $2,000 - 2,200 deduction from the window sticker . Let us know how yeh make out . GOOD LUCK
  • cathy_carbuyercathy_carbuyer Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. Can you please tell me why you think I can get it below invoice (because getting $2000 off $15105 would mean they will sell it below invoice?

I am dealing with the Internet department in most of these cases and they refuse to negotiate.

Thanks,
    Cathy.
  • glenglen Member Posts: 17
    Hello Cathy,

From Dec 24th to Dec 31st I was looking at a Corolla. It (they) were CE's w/power package and floor mats. The lowest price I found was 12,899. The dealer in my area was 12,999. The colors available were white, tan, silver, black -if I remember.

Glen in California. The prices above are after rebate.
  • kakanikkakanik Member Posts: 1
    Hi All
    This thread is amazing. I am gettin 15888.39 OTD on 08 Corolla LE VV ( without ABS and side curtain airbags) in bay area. Could you guys please help me is this a good deal. I am a first time buyer and kinda lost actually

Thank you
    Kakanik
    yes , you can purchase an ' 08 COROLLA below invoice , especially now , there's a $1000 rebate due to the arrival of the ' 09 COROLLA , don't let the sales people tell you they don't get paid back the $1,000 rebate , because they do from TOYOTA . So , if they give you a difficult time , move on to another . Also , you should deal with 2 different dealers of same model and options , take the paperwork from 1st dealer to another nearby TOYOTA dealership ( 70 mile radius , or of your preference ) see if they'll better the deal of 1st , if so , present that deal to the original dealer of that specific car , play hardball , could save you hundreds to thousand dollars in intersest rates , taxes , process fees , trade , and dealer's discounts . GO GET ' EM .
    forgot , the more the options or pricier the vehicle will usually get you better trade or more of dealer discount , most likely in the 100's of dollars , results may vary . :-)
  • lilicorolla08lilicorolla08 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Corolla CE 2008 dark blue on December 2007 in Miami. I took advantage of the $1500 rebate. My car has power windows and door locks and comes with Toyoguard. The tag price was $17,139 no including the rebate. I bought my car for $16.200 with tag and taxes included.
    I love my Corolla. It is giving me 28 mpg in the city.
    I was tempted to buy a Yaris, but with the $1500 in rebate the Yaris and the Corolla's price were the same, and after the drive test, definitevely the Corolla drives better than the Yaris.
    Careful. Don't have a car because it has the MP3 thing option.
    I hope this review is helpful to you.
  • shami90shami90 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Black 2008 Toyota corolla CE with Power windows and Power locks for $15500 out the door (tax/title/fees etc) from Palm Beach Toyota in West Palm Beach . A friend of mine bought the same configuration before the new year (Dec 31, 2007) for $15000 when the rebate was $1500. Now that the rebate is only $1000, the dealer did not go down to $15000. This was the best price I could get after visiting another dealer in the area and calling a couple of others. We had to wait for a week to get the black color one with the Power Windows option..
  • stacidallasstacidallas Member Posts: 15
    Shami90, what was your price before tax, tag and title? I'm looking to buy the same car.
    Thanks.
  • hawkgrovehawkgrove Member Posts: 2
    Black 2008 LE automatic with sunroof, abs... everything but alloy wheels. Sticker was 19135.00, paid 16700.00 with the 750.00 rebate. Was going to pay 17400.00 and get the 4.9% financing but when we were meeting with the business manager he said our monthly payments were cheaper using the 750.00 rebate and 6.5% finacing plus it took more equity off the car. Arlington Toyota in Buffalo Grove, IL. :)
  • e_thereale_thereal Member Posts: 17
    Does anyone have recent experience in buying a Corolla in Austin? I'm looking to trade in my Mercedes C55 for something with better gas mileage :)
    I'm looking at a CE auto and trying to get $2500 below invoice which includes the $1500 rebate-is that doable?

Thanks.
  • magooomagooo Member Posts: 4
    I bought a fully loaded '07 Corolla at Charles Maund Toyota in August- ($17,777 OTD) The salesman got within $200 of what Edmunds.com said was good so I was happy. I have been very happy with the car too. If you want the salesman's name, I'll send it to you. He was a really nice guy.

magoo
  • chuckc1chuckc1 Member Posts: 3
    The dealership in Moline, Illinois, is advertising a 2008 Corolla LE (auto, option A) for $14,900. The list is $17,345. Is this about as good as it gets?
  • rhayrhay Member Posts: 2
    On 01-14-08 I purchased a new 2008 Corolla LE automatic, audio value pkg., all weather guard pkg. & floor mats that had an MSRP of $17435. The car is dark blue. I paid $15107. The salesman said the price was invoice minus the $1000 rebate. That agrees with Edmunds if you assume the ad fee was $297. This purchase price beat TMV by $383. I traded in a 2006 Corolla LE with the same previously mentioned options that I had purchased used 1 year ago that had been a rental car. It had 26336 miles. I received $12500 for the trade-in which beat TMV by $1107. I am very pleased. The entire transaction was completed in 2 hours & we took the new car home that night.
  • jayhopjayhop Member Posts: 4
    I'm in the market to buy a Corolla in the Austin area myself. I have just started researching the dealers in the aear and would appreciate any info you have to offer as well.
  • ariane1ariane1 Member Posts: 15
    Hello, did you sign any waiver forms for loaner car and buyer protection program
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Good deal! If you don't mind my asking, what made you decide not wait to buy an '09?
  • rhayrhay Member Posts: 2
    1. $ & cents. I assume you will pay at least $2000-$2500 more initially for a 2009. 2. I never purchase a redesigned model in the first year of production. I want all the bugs to be worked out. 3. The first 3 months of 2007 I purchased 3 used Corollas for my wife & 2 daughters. We have been very pleased. I wanted my wife to have a new one with the color she desired.
  • anita16anita16 Member Posts: 9
    I AM THE MARKET FOR A NEW CAR IN THE PHILADELPHIA PA AREA. I AM INTERESTED IN THE COROLLA S, WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD PRICE AS I AM EXPECTING TO GO TO A DEALERSHIP TODAY.
    THANK YOU
    ANITA
  • eights38eights38 Member Posts: 145
    Anita - You have to make the decision whether you want to utilize the $1,000 customer cash or take advantage of the enhanced finance rates of 2.9%, 3.9%, and 4.9% for 36, 48, and 60 months, respectively. I believe that pricing should be relatively close to invoice. If you need more help, please reply or email me.
  • e_thereale_thereal Member Posts: 17
    try barry isbell at champion toyota-I'd offer 2500 below invoice which includes rebate on a CE.
    at GAULT TOYOTA in ENDICOTT , N.Y. you can get an LE for $2,400 off , includes $1,000 rebate . That's an automatic w/ Anti Lock Brakes and side impact / curtain air bags , sticker price is $18,550 . So, for an S model you should be able to get at least another $500 > $1,000 off , depending on price , options , etc.. They want to move these 08's for the 09's due at the end of JANUARY or 1 st of FEBRUARY , so be a stickler , get them to give you copy of the deal , so can go to other TOYOTA dealers to beat , or get original dealer to possibly beat their price . Also , should be able to get an 5.9 interest rate or better ( make sure to tell them you want lowest interest rate possible , so draw a line of 6.25 % or better and check paperwork for rate before signing . GOOD LUCK
    Thank you for your reply. here is the car info and the dealers offer to me.
    2008 Corolla S with
    Moonroof
    VP extra value package
    AB anitlock brakes
    CK all weather guard.
    on Edmunds the invooice price is $17,651 plus the dealership is adding 313.oo adv fees and 56.00 for floor mats. Total 18581.00 minus 1000.00 rebate. They are giving me 3800.00 for my trade in, Is this a fair deal.
    Thanks
    Anita
  • joep3joep3 Member Posts: 4
    On 12/24/07 I purchased a Toyota Corolla S (with the moonroof, extra value package, side air bags, etc., but without the anti-lock brakes) for $15,445 plus TT&L from Longo Toyota in Southern Calif. The price did include a $1500 rebate. The Corolla had a list price of $19,500.
    you keep the trade in separate from the rebate and their discount . What vehicle are you trading in ? The year ? The mileage ? The condition ( rust , torn upholstery , etc.) . The rebate comes from TOYOTA to you and the dealership ( reimbursed ), so don't let them tell you different , if they get nasty about the deal you expect , walk out and go to another TOYO dealer . DO'NT FORGET ABOUT LOW INTEREST RATE . GOOD LUCK
  • jayhopjayhop Member Posts: 4
    I sent Champion an e-mail on their site asking about a CE. They never replied, however Charles Maunde did and promptly too. They have $3000 off MSRP right now. I'll bet you can work them some more with what ever they have on the lot right now too. The only problem I see right now, is the dearlers are adding all the options they have left to get rid of them before the 2009's come in.
  • apersonaperson Member Posts: 5
    Purchased a 2008 S Corolla with manual transmission and SR (sunroof), VP (Keyless, cruise control, 1 touch pwr windows, color keyed spoiler, allow wheels), and CK (weather guard). MSRP was $18001. Paid 14900 for it plus tax (about 8%), VLT (about $400), and doc fees (about $200) = $16700 OTD. I actually always negotiate OTD price so that I don't end up with any surprises (so I'm not exactly sure on exact split). This was in Phoenix, AZ

By the way, this was all done via email with the fleet/internet department. When I found the car that was desired, we just went over, drove it, completed all the paperwork, and took it home. It is alot easier now than it ever was to deal through emails and the phone. I always used Edmunds invoice as my goal. We just bought an FJ for my husband in a similar manner (even though they had to trade with another dealership out of state and add features at the port to get the one we wanted). Dealers used to make you come and haggle in person, but no more. I've bought 3 new Fords, 2 new Chevys, 1 new Honda, 3 new Toyotas plus helped 2 people buy new Toyotas in my lifetime (am getting good at this).
    Great info. What do you think of the deal they are giving me. This is in Springfield PA. They told me their price was 18,581.00 they are giving me 1000.00 rebate, plus 3800.00 for my trade in (2003 ford focus hatchback in great condition, 62,000 miles)
    So the total after rebate and trade in is 14, 746.36. Again this is for a 2008 Corolla S with Moonroof, VP extra value package #1, AB anti lock braking system, CK all weather guard, color is Speedway blue.
    Thank you for your kindness,
    Anita
    Thanks for the reply. These forums are new for me so I just got this. The dealer said the best thing for me is to take the 1000.00 I didn't understand why as my credit rating is 815. I didn't quit understand why. But they are also giving me 3800.00 for my ford focus hatchback 2003, which has 62,000. Its in great condition.
    Here is the deal they are giving me.
    2008 Corolla S with moonroof, VP extra Valu package#1, AB anitlock brakes, CK all weather guard package, color Speedway blue.
    Cost$18,581.00 minus 1000.00 rebate, minus $3800.00 for trade in total 14,746.36.
    I would be interested in your thoughts on this deal. It's a dealership in Springfield PA.
    Thank you for your kindness,
    Anita
    Wow, I did not realize you keep the trade in seperate from the rebate.
    My trade in is a 2003 ford focus hatchback, close to 62,000 miles in great condition.

I am thinking about going back next wed. to the dealership, they called me today and told me to come in they are having a 1 day sale on this car that i am interested in. However, I called them back and spoke to the salesperson and told them I cannot make it in til wed. Jan. 30th. then I asked him when the new corollas are coming out and he told me in a couple of months. I like the car I test drove I am just new at this game and I want to get a fair price. I feel so blessed finding these forums with people like you who are willing to share your knowledge.
    Thank you
    Anita
    BTW, with all the info I have given you what price would you say is fair for me to ask for the car. And how do I break it down, ex. trade in money against the new car cost.
  • apersonaperson Member Posts: 5
    This is what I do. I have done this successfully eleven times; sometimes it is alittle bit of work; lately it has been easy and I do it via email. Maybe it is because I'm in a big city and there is alot of competition, so there is always someone wanting to be the #1 dealership. I've owned alot of cars because there have been years that I put 70K miles in a year driving my kids around to sports.

My strategy is always to go in with the out-the-door (OTD) price that I want to pay and then no one can confuse me with how much I am paying for the new car, how much they are giving me for my old car, how much tax and fees I am going to pay. I go in knowing exactly how much I want to be paying at the end. I don't talk monthly payments. I only talk OTD price.

(1) Go to www.edmunds.com, select New Cars, select your car and options, and see what the INVOICE price is.

(2) Subtract the rebate from price (if you want to take the financing incentive instead of the rebate, then don't subtract it).

(3) only pay sales tax, state vehicle license tax/registration, and doc fees other than that (you can call a few dealerships and get an idea of what amount doc fees should be and what percent the sales tax is).

(4) If you want to trade a car in, subtract that from the invoice price before you calculate the tax. Look at the want ads to get a price range that people are selling a car similar to yours for. I think having a trade just complicates the deal and the dealership never gives you as much as you can get on your own (and you can post your car for free on www.craigslist.com). The trade just makes it so that they can play with the numbers and confuse you about what you are really paying for the new car. They either raise the price of the new vehicle so they can make it look like you are getting more for your old trade or they give you less for the old vehicle and sell you the new car for less. I usually don't trade in, but I have found it beneficial twice; it really depends on whether you can get the OTD price you want with your trade included.

(5) You can calculate what the out-the-door (OTD) price you should pay is by adding invoice - trade-in + tax + state vehicle registration + reasonable doc fee = total price

(6) Start by sending email to the internet/fleet department(s) of a few places to see if they have what you want and what price they are wanting for it. Then reply and see if they will take your OTD price. Sometimes they won't, other times they will come back and counter offer, and usually one seems to come back and give me what I've asked for. If no one wants to deal at that price and you have your trade included, then you could try taking your trade out of the deal all together and see if you have better luck. I'm usually not picky about a 100 or 200 dollar differences because overall it doesn't cost that much compared to the cost of the car (I would rather go to the person that is easy for me to work with). I just try to get somewhere close to Edmunds invoice.

(7) I've never had a dealer not honor their offer made via email or phone once I go down to pick up the car (but I suppose it could happen). After you've squared everything away with the salesman and you are ready to talk to the financing person, watch out for tricks that the financing people can play on you. They may try to add a warranty onto your contract without you noticing (or some other thing that you didn't know about). They may also try to make you feel guilty or bad about not purchasing the warranty. Just tell them to get on with it at the price you agreed with the salesman or you will walk out and not buy the car. This has happened to me a few times and the financing person will always proceed and finish up if you threaten to walk out.

(8) You should understand what rate you will actually get somewhere else versus what the financing incentive is before you can really figure out whether you should go with the rebate or financing rate incentive. The financing portion is just another game that they can play with you. Get pre-approved before going to the dealership (it doesn't hurt to go to a few banks or credit unions and see who is offering the best rates; you can do this all online; even the application). Sometimes, the dealer will then try to beat the rate that you already have. It always helps to know what you can get so that the dealership doesn't charge you a higher interest rate than you should be paying. If you want to figure out whether to go with a rebate or the financing offer, calculate the interest savings yourself before you start working on your vehicle price. If you have Excel, you can setup an interest chart (PMT is the function name); if not, you should be able to look up interest charts somewhere online.

(9) In summary: Know what you want to pay for the car before you go in via Edmunds, know what financing rates are available to you, know what your trade is worth. If they ask where you got price, tell them Edmunds. Alot of times, they will say that Edmunds isn't right, but I've found it to be pretty accurate.
    $14,000 sounds reasonable , try $13,900 as your bottom line . Plus with your credit score should get rate of 5.9% or less . GOOD LUCK
  • theophanestheophanes Member Posts: 4
    That description that you gave us about your corolla S for 14,000 is crazy high. That focus ought to get you more. You can easily sell for more on Craigslist. Remember that there is an offer for 1000 in rebate, but if you don't take this, then you get 0 APR for up to 48 months. I was quoted for an automatic CE for 14,800 OTD with NO trades and am still checking with other dealers to get a better deal.
  • stacidallasstacidallas Member Posts: 15
    theophanes, what's your OTD breakdown for your quote on the CE? That sounds like a pretty good deal.

So far my best quote which DOESN'T include tax, tag, title was:
    $14,523 for a CE with power locks, power windows, keyless entry, floor mats and vehicle shield (already put on the car) OR $14,686 if I add cruise control.

Does anyone know if this is a good deal? Those quotes include the rebate. I was kind of hoping to pay $14,000 for a car with all of those extras....is that reasonable?
    Smokey 15,
    This is the deal they wrote up for me.
    19,670.00 MSRP
    -1089 dealer discount
    17,581.00 minus 3800.00(trade in) + 826.80 tax + (83.50 +55.00 tags) = 14,746.30
    Does this sound like a fair deal. I am located in PA
    Thanks
    Anita
  • nyguy1nyguy1 Member Posts: 23
    Anita

The price you have so far is horrible! On a loaded up "S" you should be paying no more than $3500 UNDER MSRP!. In September I got $3950 under that MSRP number. Don't let them take advantage of YOU!
    The point is, you never work from MSRP. You work from invoice. Take invoice price which one could get from the internet. Add destination: 660. Plus whatever options you have in it - i.e. CQ - convenience package for power windows and so forth. Add about 300 for profit (if you wish). From the total, minus the 1000 rebate and the trade-in (if you think it is a reasonable value - you can check this on KBB) and that should be the price point that you are working with. From that point, you add tax, license, etc.

Main point: never start from MSRP.

Good luck.
    ANITA , do you have the papers from the dealer ? If so , bring them to several other dealers within your area ( 70 mile radius , give or take to your liking ) and get them to beat the deal on other COROLLAs that are exact or of near similar price with the options you want and don't really need . That price is to high , they had LE's in our area with $1,200 >$1,400 dealer discount , plus the $1,000 rebate . So , for an " S " at that price you should be able to get it for well under $14,000 including your trade . Also , next month you may see a higher rebate or lower than $1,000 , it's a crap shoot . Last , do not let them sock you with high interest rate , no matter what the cost of the vehicle . GOOD LUCK
    this vehicle is for ANITA , not I . :)
    Good point about the interest rate. If you do not have the cash, you need to know that you cannot take advantage of the 1000 discount, but take advantage of their 0% APR for 36 or 48 months.

If they can't milk you through the price. I assure you, they will try to get you in the interest rates. Don't let them!

Good luck.
    Thanks for the info. So I should ask for another 1400.00 off plus 3800.00 for my trade in?
    Thanks
    Anita
    she still can get the $1,000 dollar rebate plus an interest rate of 5.59 % or less ( even lower rates for shorter loan terms ) with her credit rating from local banks that the dealers finance through . We got 5.59 % on a 5 year loan from local bank for an 2008 YARIS liftback , that was about 3 months ago before the lowering of the fed rate . GOOD LUCK
    ask for this :

$19,670
    - 1,700 dealer discount
    ______
    $17,970
    - 1,000 rebate
    ______
    $ 16,970
    - 3,800 trade in
    ______
    $13,170

then add your sales tax and fees to the $13,170 , worth a shot . DON'T FORGET THE LOWEST INTEREST RATE FROM LOCAL BANK . With your credit standing should get 5.59 % or less . GOOD LUCK
    HI everyone,
    I value all the advice all of you have given me and I put it to action. I asked another dealer for a quote on a 2008 Corolla S with these features:
    FE -50 State Emissions .........................
    CK - All Weather Guard Package ..................
    AB - Anti-Lock Brake System, with ...............
    Electronic Brakeforce Distribution .........
    MR - Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof with Day/Night ...
    Inner Mirror and Driver & Passenger Side ...
    & Curtain Airbag ...........................
    VP - Extra Value Package #1 Includes: ...........
    15" Alloy Wheels w/P195/65R15 Tires, .......
    Color-Keyed Rear Deck Spoiler, Power .......
    Windows, Remote Keyless Entry and Cruise ...
    Control ....................................
    DK - Preferred Owner''s Portfolio ................
    WL - Alloy Wheel Locks

NEW DEALER PRICE:
    MSRP $ 19,647
    INVOICE $ 18,020
    Selling at $17,800 plus tax and tags
    You have the option of $1000 rebate of the financing at 2.9% for 36mts, 3.9% for 48mts, 4.9% for 60 months. He told me that we would figure out what options will work out the best for me and would be contacting me today.

The NEW dealer DOES NOT have this car on his lot he has to look for it and wants me to put some money down so he can bring it in for me. The ORIGINAL dealer has it on his lot NOW.

The NEW dealer came in $800.00plus cheaper than the original. Since this is all new to me what should i tell the original dealer? I want to be honest however I feel alittle awkward telling him I am going with another dealer, I feel kind of sneaky/guilty! I am suppose to talk to the original dealer on Wed. and the New dealer today.

So I am feeling alittle stressed and guilty and I am looking for advice on how to handle the situation.

Thank you
    Anita
This discussion has been closed.