Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2003-2008 Toyota Corolla Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• lookrx330lookrx330 Member Posts: 11
    Just bought a LE in central NJ. Paid 167k (before TTL) for 183K MSRP, which is the dealer showed invoice price (destination charge, cruise control, remote keyless, carpets, TDA, Dealer holdback, ...). I know it is propably more than I should pay, any idea how much overpaid?
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Anyone getting good prices on the XLE models? Seems like this is the old LE version now that the LE has taken over the CE's spot in the Corolla lineup. See mostly LE's doown here in South Florida but I prefer the XLE with the black trim on the B pillars...think it's a more finished look actually. Planning on driving a new Corolla within the next few months to see if my kids will put it on their short lists. Like the evolution of the new Corolla actually.

The Sandman :)
  • e_thereale_thereal Member Posts: 17
    I went to check out the '09 Corolla LE with Keyless and Cruise yesterday at the dealership. I test drove the car but the salesguy told me that if I was looking at getting invoice on this car, it wasn't going to happen!
    I was pretty peeved but decided to wait and see what they would offer on my trade in ('98 Lexus GS 300)
    They low balled me and the sales guy said "thank you have a nice day" and walked away. Needless to say I was pretty upset and started to walk out when the sales manager stopped me and tried to tell me how my trade in wasn't worth what I thought it was even though i had thoroughly researched it's value. I told him that they must have lots of business because the salesguy didn't want to even talk about selling me a corolla at close to invoice!
    I also told him that my previous car was a mercedes c55 amg, and before that a bmw m3, Nissan 350Z roadster etc etc. and that i've bought 10 cars in the last 6 years and know pretty much all the tricks!
    I also told him that if a customer offers invoice for a car and a dealer sells it for invoice, then that is the market value for that car, if not less.
    He told me to go find the absolute best price i could get on a new corolla and he promised to beat it by $300 no matter how low the price is.
    I appreciated that he was a straight shooter and if I do buy the Corolla, I'll give these guys a shot.
    These sales guys are using high gas prices as leverage to try and charge higher prices on cars like corollas but if they have 30 of them sitting on the lot, they're going to have to deal.
  • mrcoolguy209mrcoolguy209 Member Posts: 29
    This is the first time I've experienced the BS that so many call the typical car buying experience.

An '09 Corolla LE, Auto was on ad for $14,999 (sticker of $18,003). I knew the ad was a loss leader and was ~ $1300 below invoice.

I called to confirm they had the car. Got to the dealership in 20 minutes. Somehow the car sold in that 20 minutes. Unbelievable that they could BS me to get me to come.

The kicker is that I told my dad and he called them 10 minutes after I left. They told him they still had the car and to come on down. Ridiculous sales tactics.

Does anyone know how I can register a complaint? I'll try contacting Toyota corporate offices but what else can I do?

Thanks.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    I had the same thing happen on a LE for $15,999 but told my salesman ( good guy and had purchased a car from him before) i told him that that i would be down to look at it when I got there and someone was test driving it and bought it. I then turned to a differant one on the lot a model that had a few more options and said lets do this. My ad car had a MSRP of $18,154 and the LE with options was 18,659 so i split the differance $250.00 - $50.00 for a repeat buyer so my cost was $16,200 only $200.00 more but with more options. I would take the ad car price and shop it around a bit. There is no recourse for you that you can get anything but you could use it as a tool with a different dealer or see the manager of that dealer.

Good Luck
  • elena250elena250 Member Posts: 28
    Anyone have a recommendation for a good Toyota dealer near San Antonio/Austin area? Looking for the best price on a corolla.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Which trim level are you looking for? North Park and Cavender seem to be the best in the San Antonio area.
    I'm dealing with two dealers in Austin right now and have an offer at $100 over invoice.
    The car I'm looking at has an msrp of $18059. The invoice is $16249 and they've offered me $16349 ($100 over invoice.)
    Contact me if you want more info.
    the trim level I'm looking for is probably pretty much base - guess that's now the LE - wouldn't mind keyless entry and cruise control if the car had that. but need a lot of bells and whistles
  • atortoroatortoro Member Posts: 13
    Toyota LE

MSRP $17,904
    OTD price: $17000 OTD ($15538.74 before tax, license etc)
    w/ carpet, key less entry, all weather pkg

hope this is a good price :blush: , esp with no current rebate in california. However, the 0% APR is pretty good...!
    there's actually a base model that's below the LE and Champion Toyota had a few of those on the lot. These may not have power locks or windows.
  • dr94087dr94087 Member Posts: 9
    Hi,
    Today I called couple of dealers in Bay Area for Corolla enquiry, and they told me that the 0% APR financing is discontinued in July month.
    I checked the Toyota.com site and it dont show the low APR finance.

Is this true?

Thanks,
    DR
  • yossarian3yossarian3 Member Posts: 30
    Does anyone know what sort of specials might be available in Massachusetts in July?
  • rospotterospotte Member Posts: 11
    Could someone suggest a good price on a 2009 corolla LX with automatic in the dallas,tx. area?

Any dealer recommendations?

thanks...jeff
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    If you don't mind can you email me the names of the dealers you are working with in Austin? The San Antonio dealerships don't seem to want to go anywhere near invoice.
  • yossarian3yossarian3 Member Posts: 30
    It looks like the low financing offers and low money factors for leases have vanished on the Corollas. And there is also less dealer flexibility on pricing. The explanation is that the Corollas are selling well in this high fuel price environment. Do people think there is any possibility that the better interest rates and money factors might come back in August?
  • grabsjokergrabsjoker Member Posts: 7
    I doubt it. If things go as they did with the civics, the prices are only going to go up, and the incentives will go away. I am going to try my best to buy now, because I need a car and don't want to pay too much for it! Honda civics (my first choice) just are outrageous right now... Good luck!
    Not bad at all...what kind of rebate was there? Like the XLE a bit better and I think it has more standard features with a corresponding bump in price. The S model looks pretty nice also.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter from a large newspaper is looking to speak to consumers who traded-in a larger vehicle for a small compact car to save money on gas, but spent money on options to get something more comfortable and appealing. If you’re interested in speaking to the reporter, please contact Chintan Talati at ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than July 9, 2008.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Edmunds.com
    Corporate Communications

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Wanted a 2009 Corolla XLE fully loaded, all dealers in the Lehigh Valley section of PA area have few 2009 Corollas let alone a XLE loaded. They tell me Corollas are flying out the door. Dealers don't get many XLE's anyway. Most people(unlike me) just move up to the Camry if they want a Toyota equipped well. I, on the other hand, prefer to stick with a Corolla for it's economy and then get it loaded the way I want. They said they would try to locate one from another dealer but basically I just think they just ordered one for me. I wanted moon roof, spoiler, stability control, JBL sound system, alloy wheels, body side moldings, mudguards and carpeted floor mats. Ordered it for around $500.00 under TMV or $1000.00 under MSRP. Not the best deal but the best I could do.
  • barrancebarrance Member Posts: 6
    I was made an offer over email for a 2009 Corolla with an MSRP of $16909. I wasn't given any additional info, but according to Edmunds, this MSRP happens to correspond to a base model with AT, mats, and destination charge.

The price I was given was $14999 (there was some sort of dealer discount of $1910). If it is indeed a base model AT with mats, is this a good price for this car? According to Edmunds, this is below invoice.
  • jharris981jharris981 Member Posts: 5
    Sounds like this vehicle has roll up windows and no power locks. I suppose that is decent, but it doesn't come with any of the perks (well, except for the mats). I wonder how much more it would cost to get power windows and locks. Where is the dealership located?
  • linyerlinyer Member Posts: 4
    Just spoke with Don McGill Toyota in Houston. The guy in fleet refused to take 1 penny off sticker price. Said that is what they are going for.
    Not even a thought to pay sticker for me. May have to start looking for another brand.
  • grabsjokergrabsjoker Member Posts: 7
    May I suggest you contact other dealers? I have been working on getting the car I want from Ron Carter and think that it will be pretty good, quite a bit off of sticker. Just send them all emails from their homepages saying the EXACT make, model, options, and color. Also, if you can wait, some of these guys can order a car for you with the exact features you want, at a good price. Check around!
  • joeytpjoeytp Member Posts: 1
    The best quote I could get on a Corolla S auto with sport package, moonroof, traction control, and mats was 18,850+TTL. Anyone able to do better?
  • jharris981jharris981 Member Posts: 5
    Never thought I'd see the day when compact cars would cost about $20,000! We are not talking about mid-sized sedans. It's outrageous to think that we are being told that paying upwards of $17,000+ is a good deal for a compact car that gives us 35 mpg. Seriously, a couple of years ago you could get a new Corolla for $12,500 - $13,500. I'm so tired of the crappy deals dealerships are giving me on Corollas. I've just decided to wait until fall or December/January when there will be more rebates because the '10 Corolla will be coming out. I'm looking to pay between $15,500 - $16,500 on a new Corolla with cruise, keyless and mats. Cruise/Mat can be optional. I used an internet site that is supposed to make good deals for you. I received an e-mail on yesterday from a dealership in Anniston, AL (about 45 minutes from me) where I can get an LE with just standard power locks/windows for $16,188. I'm gonna check it out.
    A couple of years ago gas was $2.00 + a gallon also and trucks were selling not now and there is a slug of trucks cheap now. You will find one as soon as the pipe line fills up but dont count on the 2010 causing a spiral of slashed prices. In May i picked up a LE with keyless, mats and stability control for just over $16K so it can be found. You will need to be flexible on colors and timing is everything.

Good Luck
    CHampion toyota-salesman's initials are BI
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    >>, a couple of years ago you could get a new Corolla for $12,500 - $13,500. <<

A lot of the options on the 2007 models (side airbags, ABS) are now standard on the same models.

Also, there is a whole lot more demand for a high efficiency vehicle that there was 18 months ago ...

Thanks heavens my beater died when it did and didn't hang around for another year as I paid $13950 for my LE in March 2007.
  • archarkonarcharkon Member Posts: 4
    Just got Corolla LE auto

Price $15650 (including delivery )
    Processing fee $100
    Tax $939 (6%)
    Tags $220

Total 16909

No Trade in

In Baltimore, MD
    Hyundai has come along way and that perception of it being a cheap brand is misguided. We've had all the economy japanese brands now and their quality has gone downhill from their heyday in the '80's and '90's. The Elantra is the equal of the Corolla and the Civic now and the Sonata is definitely on par with the Camcords. My oldest and I pulled up next to a brown '08 Elantra about an hour ago and it looked very sharp...it will be her 1st car when we buy thanksgiving week.
    The prices of the Civic and Corolla have gone outta sight now and what one would've paid for the last generation LE, which is now the XLE, only buys the new LE, last generations CE. The Corolla XLE and the Civic EX are already in Camry/Accord pricing territory. I understand in your case the Corolla "fits" you, but I think many will cross shop the larger Camry/Accord once they see the final prices they are getting on the smaller Corolla/Civic models.
    The price of petrol is really affecting many products associated with nit.

• linyerlinyer Member Posts: 4
    Did call Ron Carter, (in Houston) did not hear back. Then went to JM dealership. I had one thing in mind for me and they had something else in mind ,only about $800 more.
    Went to Mike Calvert through my Credit Union. Nice gentleman, not pushy etc. What we are coming down to is about $18,300 (apprx)OTD. electric windows, keyless entry, cd, mats, weather package, stripe, mudguards.
    In the Gulf coast area several extra fees are attached to the invoice for Toyota, over $1000 that kick the price up. I have seen the same thing on several invoices.
    The way things are going I have been told some dealerships will be getting sticker price for the smaller cars. Some dealerships are already doing that.
    Anyone else in Houston do much better?
  • jilliewjilliew Member Posts: 48
    I do like the Elantra, and I agree it's come a long way, but when the Corolla is still going at 200k, will the Elantra be doing the same thing? Too early to tell. Toyota has a long history as a quality car, as does Honda, but it's to early to tell about Hyundai. Time will tell. If gas wasn't approaching $5, I would probably would have just kept my Subara Outlook a bit longer. Photography is my hobby and I like to do frequent road trips. Couldn't do it as often as I liked anymore in the Boo. I had the chance to try the Corolla in the snow in WY and MT recently and it did great. Handles well in the mountains also. There are a couple of things I don't like about it, one being that the back seats don't go all the way down. The Corolla, Civic, and Elantra seem to rule the road lately. Especially in CA. I also don't know how a really tall person could fit into one of those cars and be comfortable. I'm 5'6'' and I have to drive with my seat all the way back.
  • 0435004350 Member Posts: 26
    If you don't mind driving a prior rental car, there should be some used 09 (and 08) models on the market in the near future, albeit with 4,000 to 25,000 miles on them. Some will be sold as certified by Toyota dealers if the dealer wants to spend the time and effort to do Toyota's certification inspection. The major rental car companies are also feeling the pressure of keeping a fuel efficient fleet and Corollas are also popular rental cars.
    If your 5 6" dont worry about the room for the driver in the corolla.

I'am 6 3" 220 lbs.Very comfortable with plenty of leg room.
    Funny, I'm only an inch taller than you but drive with my seat somewhat close to the wheel, so my taller kids love sitting behind me. Really think the newer Hyundai's will have no problem getting up to the 200k mark. People's perception is still based on the Hyundai of old and not based on reality. Ask people like Backy who's owned his for a few years and is very satisfied. I've also had that perception in my mindset for awhile, but after having driven a few Hyundai's lately, I'd definitely buy one and plan to buy them for my two girls as their 1st cars later on this year.
    Trust me, the new '09 Sonata is an outstanding car and I'd buy one if I didn't like the smaller sized car or it would fit on my side of the garage.
    Welcome to the 21st century.

Unbelievable. I have long legs, but I'm sure not as long as a 6'3'' man. Plus I'm 150lbs and wouldn't want to gain any weight. Or, are you kidding me??? LOL ;)
    Well, like I said, time will tell. I usually drive my cars for 10 years, and I'm a stickler on maintaining them. I'll probably be dead by the time the next 10 years rolls around.If not, the plugins or something else ought to be all the rage. Maybe there will be Jetson mobiles. LOL I'm not comfy if I have to bend my legs more than a little. I have the seat and the steering wheel adjusted just right. Don't like being up too close to the wheel either. I like the adjustable steering wheel on the Corolla..Nicer than the one I had before.
    jillew I think you will be very happy with the rolla.

When I was doing my research on it and the civic I read one reviewer describe the corolla as the lexus of the compact class.

I agree with that.The ride comfort,fit and finish its all their.

As far as maintanence just change the oil every 5,000 miles and have your mant. book stamped by toyota service department.As the car ages they will check other things as well.We should get ten years use easy.
    I'm very happy with the car, the style, the ride and all the goodies. I'm especially happy with the gas millage as I live rural and if on occasion I want to drive to a mall or to the big city where groceries are cheaper, I can afford to do it. I took one long trip in it and never felt sore or cramped. Next year I plan to drive it to Alaska. I don't know what all the fuss is. If someone doesn't like the car, then they shouldn't buy it. They should buy what they like, just like I did. I didn't fall out of a potato truck in front of the Toyota dealer and run in and buy the Corolla.. I researched different cars for a year and had decided on the '08 Prius Touring Model and even ordered it and then changed my mind for several reasons. Corolla was a better ride, was way more comfy and roomier, cost was way lower than Prius, and I could take it to my own mechanic I have had for years and didn't have to use the dealership. Big savings there.

Jill (a happy Corolla owner) :D
  • dvrmandvrman Member Posts: 12
    I am moving in 3 weeks to Los ANgeles and looking to lease a corolla as a second car to go back and forth to work. ANy recommnedations of where to lease in LA or are there better deals further out from the city ?
  • knight346knight346 Member Posts: 10
    What do you think is a good deal for this car (out the door in Boston area)? Does this come with "keyless entry" feature?
    How much are they gouging you on this option? And is it really something you must have?

• knight346knight346 Member Posts: 10
    I am looking for a good car in this segnment. Wondering what the best deal would be. Will the price go down - I am willing to wait.
  • goodbyebobgoodbyebob Member Posts: 2
    Less than $160 dollars. He said he was going to charge his cost for the vehicle shield package. I want to keep my car looking new longer since I plan on keeping this car for a while.
  • vinijinvinijin Member Posts: 28
    If you wait for few months, the market will be flooded with this segment of cars. It looks like all the auto manufacturers are working to bring their most fuel efficient compact cars to the market ASAP. If you wait for few months, it is highly possible that better designed and better fuel efficient cars will be available at much lower prices than currently available in the market.
    Do you mean the 2009 civics? Corollas are now the 2009 model. Would you say this is just a "hunch?" or are you basing this on something you know about in the industry?
    It will take more than a few months to flood the market look to spring or summer of 09 before you see it catch up. They can make more of the same but it will take longer to see new models. Ford and others will start bringing in the small cars models they currently sell over seas and in Mexico.
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    I am not sure ford and others will be able to make that timetable or even close. Those cars abroad will have to pass EPA , crash testing and a multitude of who knows what the Gov't requires these days....Then they have to get them into the channel for possible modification to meet regs and finally the sales channel (and hopefully parts!).....Just MHO.

If oil stays on its current trend (I doubt it), the American people have a short memory (yes, I am American) and the current rush to buy small will slow...If not, the demand will continue to grow.If anything, with inflation and a possible rush on small autos....I think prices will NOT go down...Probably go up! The US companys cannot exist on the small profit margins small cars bring relative to the guzzlers...again IMHO
    I agree I was being optimistic at best glad I purchased back in May the prices have gone crazy. I had a internet dealer e-mail yesterday thinking i was still looking so I pretended and asked what he could do. He came back and said the corolla was HOT and in high demand hard to find. I asked about an LE with Stability control there was none 300 mile area. Heck I paid $16,200 back in May for one with the 2.9 for 60 months.
This discussion has been closed.