Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2003-2008 Toyota Corolla Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• xadawgxxadawgx Member Posts: 2
    Based on my curent and latest quote in san diego through a fleet/internet manager on an 04 CE 5spd w/no additional options I am looking at $12,354.25 (including destination & rebate, before tax and title) Since you are looking for an AT, I think you will likely be over $12,500 as that's a $600 option. My current quote is $200 under invoice as well. You may luck out though, they have more autos so they might have more incentive to move them.

Also I believe the 750 cashback incentive expires at the same time as the APR. Though it may very well start up again or even get better next month, who knows. My friends purchased a Camry last year and also got the same incentive choices. Just so you know if you don't qualify for the 1.9% APR and take the 750 rebate instead and manage to get a 5% APR, it works out to almost exactly the same as if you qualified for the 1.9% APR.
  • ytbhytbh Member Posts: 11
    hello, i just graduated from college and have just started a new job. my 91 grandam will die soon and i am starting to look at what to replace it with. i've thought of getting a used camry or corolla around $10K. is this feasible or a good idea? i also thought about getting a hyundai elantra (an 03 model gets a 9 year warranty right). i want something that will last me at least 10 years and so i'm considering a corolla or camry due to their reliability. any advice?
  • 96accord96accord Member Posts: 20
    I just bought a 2004 Toyota Corrolla CE AT with the floor mats, cargo net $ 13200 OTD.
    The dealer offerred me a LE for $ 14600 OTD.
    I am in southern california and the buyign process was pretty good at Wondries Toyota.

Anybody need any additional info then please email me.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    About the Hyundai: Youd do better to negotiate a deal on an 04. The Hyundai warranty that is so heavily advertised is NOT transferrable to second owners; only the first owner of the car has that warranty.

Another item to understand when discussing Toyota selling prices is that rebates and financing incentives are regional, and vary rather widely from region to region. To find out what incentives are offered in your area, go to www.buyatoyota.com.

~alpha
  • consumerjoeconsumerjoe Member Posts: 3
    Just bought an '04 Corolla CE with automatic transmission and floor and trunk mats for $12,197, before $750 cash rebate. After rebate car cost $11,447, plus sales tax and fees. Purchased at Bob Baker Toyota in Lemon Grove(10 miles from San Diego), the out-the-door cost was $12,557.

While only a few vehicles are made available each week at this price, it seems that Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book need to reassess their so-called "true market value" prices. Their alleged dealer invoice prices make no sense in light of what we paid for this car. No dealer is playing Santa Claus - they sell all their cars for a profit. Any comment from Edmunds?
  • tjno1tjno1 Member Posts: 4
    Can you tell me which dealer you went to? I am looking for the same car. Haven't find a good price in NYC area.
    Thanks!
  • cool_kanaiyacool_kanaiya Member Posts: 2
    Just bot the 2004 Corolla S Automatic with following features:
    1) Power Package
    2) ABS
    3) Cruise Control
    4) Side Airbags
    5) Cassette/ CD combo with 6 speakers
    Costed me $16582 out of the door incl of tax, new tag and title.
    I am new buyer ...please let me know whether I got a good deal?
  • chibuyachibuya Member Posts: 3
    at $12,514.00 before tax, license, etc. This maybe be without the power door lock options. No fancy stuff whatsoever.

Good or bad deal?

Southern California
    Hey Chibuya,

For southern California that isn't a bad deal - IF - this is before the $750 rebate. Here's about what the out-the-door price should be:

$12,514 (Car price)
    + 875 (approx. sales tax-figure for your area)
    + 160 (approx. state title & fees)
    + 40 (dealer charge if they handle title transfer legwork)
    - 750 (rebate)

$12,839 Out-the-Door

Happy Buying!
    ConsumerJoe
  • alexmalexm Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone -
    I've been trying to get a reasonable price from WA dealers on barebone Corolla CE 5spd. Is seems to be a lost cause. Lowest price I got in march was 14,100 before rebate for AT. Others wanted almost the same for manual ones.
    I'm not a bad negotiator, know the numbers. What's going on ?
    It really seems like a sellers market over here.

I see GREAT prices on corollas in South California posted. Maybe I should get it there since I'll be in San Diego in May anyway

DId anyone get a truly good deal in Washington state in last few months?
    Alex
  • dennis1dennis1 Member Posts: 4
    My daughter just bought a 2004 Toyota Corolla LE with automatic, cruise control, all weather package and floor mats. She paid $14,600 out the door which included all rebates and taxes, title and license. No other charges. She basically got the car for $625.56 below Edmunds Customer Cash Adjusted True Market Value.

I had done quite a bit of local internet pricing and communication for my daughter before narrowing it down to 2 dealers. Bought from Wilde Toyota in West Allis, WI. Salesman was Chris M. Very pleasant experience. Chris went through and explained everything on the car to my daughter before her test drive. He even popped the hood and showed her where everything was located - windshield wash fluid, oil, etc. Not that she will remember but it was thorough and complete - something the other dealer didn't do.

She also qualified for 3.9% financing through Toyota. She could have had 1.9% for 4 years but she took the $750 rebate instead.

I think the price was very good and the way we were treated was exceptional.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    is a very bad idea. :)

You are inviting a ton of spam to be dumped on you. Better to make your address public in your profile so that members who are logged in can find it, but the spam bots can't.

All of that said, why not post the dealership here? That's the best way to share your experience with our community. Just read the cautions in the header of this discussion to see what information may be posted.

Congrats and enjoy your new Corolla!
  • chibuyachibuya Member Posts: 3
    Good point! For some reason, I don't see the edit botton to delete my email... sorry for the posting.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The Edit button is only available for about 30 minutes after you post. But you always have a Delete button for your own messages. I deleted it for you. :)
    Check your newspaper's dealer ads on Sunday and whatever other day they advertise and look for VERY low prices listed on some cars, but with the phrase "only 4 available at this price." You may need to show up at the dealer at 6am to get one of those cars(ask them what time to get there), but you can get a very low price - if they run those ads in Seattle.
  • mdm41mdm41 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased '04 LE, hard choice over the 'S'- but did not like all the molding around the car.
    Option: Side Air Bags, Cruise, Auto, CD/Cassette, ABS, All Weather, Mats, Power Package.
    Final Price: $15,995 before $750 rebate

I have that as $200 over invoice, but dealer also offered 6 yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranty (up from 5yr/60K). I thought that made up for being a bit over invoice. Anyone else hear about the extended powertrain offer??
  • cool_kanaiyacool_kanaiya Member Posts: 2
    How much did you pay out of the door? (incl of all fees and rebates)
  • coby03coby03 Member Posts: 55
    I had a deal going for an auto S with ABS/Side Air Bags, power pkg, sport plus, etc., that invoiced at $16,400 (on Edmunds). The salesman tells me he'll sell it to me for about $100 over dealer invoice and says the price is $16,950 (Edmunds TMV is $17,000). When I indicated this is obviously not what I expected $100 over invoice to be, he said it includes a $400 advertising fee that they can't do anything about. Is that legit? It may be, but I didn't like being surprised so I held off. Did I pass up a good deal?
    Thanks.
    I think what people need to understand about car purchasing is that the individual buyer needs to pay a price that he or she is comfortable with. I never like to say things like "you paid too much" or "you could have haggled more" or anything like that, because there is a point of dimishing marginal returns for all of us. If you were uncomfortable paying a $400 advertising fee, dont second guess your decision. You did what was right for you. This is a Toyota Corolla, for Pete's sake, not a limited edition Maybach. Just go to the next Toyo dealer and see what he/she offers. Actually, why not do it from your home or office by first searching a radius of dealers in your area on www.toyota.com, then emailing each dealer, explicitly stating that lowest price for your desired options/color combo wins. If, at that time, nobody can top your very original offer, which included the $400, you can tell that dealer you've reconsidered, and that you were just very skeptical at first and didnt want to get taken. Also, the 2005 slightly revised Corollas are arriving at dealerships in the next week or two, so they should be willing to discount more on 2004s to unload them.

Good luck.
    ~alpha
  • belembelem Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for information on 2004 Toyota Corolla ce purchases in Philadelphia area. Please let me know what you paid for the car and what was included. Rude and aggressive sales persons turn me off. I was offered a 2004 Toyota Corolla CE for $14,050 if purchased by 4/30 - includes a $750 rebate and 1.9% financing.
    The cost quoted is $200 below invoice? Thanks for any info.
  • moonstarmoonstar Member Posts: 1
    was offered a deal for corolla LE automatic with these options:
    ABS
    cruise control
    side airbags
    sunroof
    alloy wheels
    rear spoiler (only thing i liked about the "S")
    for a total of 16,500.. good deal or no?
    thanks in advance for helping.
    Thats a decent price. Use Edmunds.com TMV and carsdirect.com to determine if its in the range of what people are actually paying. But overall, not too bad. Be aware that the 2005 Corolla is now available, with a few updgrades, such as side curtains in addition to side airbags, new front and rear styling, upgraded Optitron guages in the LE, available vehicle skid control...

~alpha
  • cocottecocotte Member Posts: 6
    Hey guys. Just bought a silver 2004 LE in the western Chicago suburbs:

Automatic
    Cruise
    All Weather Guard
    ABS
    CD/Tape/6 speakers
    Power Moonroof
    Floor Mats
    Trunk Mat
    Cargo Net

MSRP $17,699
    Dealer Invoice $16,110
    I Paid $15,768 + tax and fees, and 1.9% for 60 months.

I choose the special financing over the $750 rebate (a little cheaper that way) and I didn't qualify for the recent college grad incentive. I'm FOUR months over the cut-off time of 2 years. (aarrrgh)
  • regataregata Member Posts: 8
    Automatic
    Cruise
    All Weather Guard
    ABS
    CD/Tape/6 speakers
    Side Air Bags
    Floor Mats
    Trunk Mat
    Cargo Net
    Splash Guards

I Paid $15,777 + tax and fees, and 0% for 60 months.

I chose 0% in place of $1000.00 cash back.

Is this good ? I saw edmunds and KBB and it shows average customer paid about 16k+.
  • wkapriwkapri Member Posts: 1
    15,125 (includes 750 dealer cash back)
    + tax
    + dmv
    - 1000 graduate discount
    =
    15,616 out the door

04 manual S with ABS, cruise, power package, sports package, all weather, mats, 6 speaker CD
    Sorry, actual MSRP is $17,799. I didn't look close enough on the sticker price.
  • new4helpnew4help Member Posts: 2
    Hi friends, I am new here, please help.

I have been looking to buy a 2004 CE automatic in North Ohio or South Michigan, I wonder if I can expect to get the similar attractive price range as posted here by people in southern California. I would be happy to buy a automatic CE-04 at around 12,500 to 12,800.

Please, if anyone had buying experience in Ohio or Michigan, please advise me: is this a realistic expectations ? or why is so much difference in midwest versus California, for example ?

Thank you,

Jim
  • aki2279aki2279 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I am getting scared about a document I signed at the dealership today that looked like a receipt of the car...something that had a price that we agreed on it..and the rebate value..something which looked like an agreement of some sort. I also filled out the credit application for fincncing. They didnt give me an APR quote saying that the toyota financing office is closed now (it was Sat 5:00 pm). Did I make a blunder? Is it normal to sing such a thing when they check the credit? Plx respond
  • phishphish Member Posts: 1
    2001 corolla ce stripper
    40000 miles
    $7200 from an independent dealer

fair price? I feel like the car may have been in an accident (maybe a minor one?) because the drivers door is a little sticky, and some other small signs. However the alignment seems fine, no vibrations, it drives good. the carfax is clean.

would you buy this car? It is the best deal I have found.
  • kdbkdb Member Posts: 1
    Did you read the doc before signing it? I assume they gave you a copy... Read it now, if you haven't done so.
    Is this the first time you buy a car?
  • mikeharrisonmikeharrison Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in a Toyota certified Corolla CE, 1999, with powered window, powered door lock, cruise controll, auto transmission, A/C, and ABS. It has 52 K. The dealer is asking for $8,500. I checked the retail price on both Edmund and KBB. It seems the price listed on Edmunds is very generous to dealership. And the price on KBB is $500 cheaper than the dealer asked. I'd like to get some information from Townhall. Thanks ahead for anyone willing to give advice.

Mike
  • jmyanajmyana Member Posts: 3
    How much should I pay for Corrola LE 2004 including Taxes and $750 CASH BACK.

Base Model +
    CL (Speed Control) $250 (KBB)
    EJ Radio $140 (KBB)
    Floor Mats (159 (KBB)

Tax is 6.5% in my Area Akron, OH
  • phantiquesphantiques Member Posts: 4
    Rude and aggressive sales persons in Davie Fl. I will try West Palm Beach if no luck Will Try Honda or Mazda.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I went to that same dealership last may and felt the same way, very pushy and aggresive. I finally had 2 leave as I didn't want the abuse anymore.

The Sandman :-)
  • juwhjuwh Member Posts: 1
    Here's the breakdown of what I paid:

PAID......Edmunds Invoice
    Corolla S 4drAuto...$13488.........$13950
    Cruise Control........$ 200.........$ 200
    AM/FM/CD 6 Spkrs..$ 30.........$ 30
    Sports Plus Pkg......$ 660.........$ 660
    Power Package.......$ 484.........$ 484
    Destination Chrg......$ 515.........$ 515

TDA (advertising) $ 270
    I asked for a waiver of this fee. No go. =(

Gasoline $ 6
    Yes, they charged for the gas!

Dealer Holdback $ 308
    Couldn't have this waived either.

Wholesale Financial Reserve $ 154
    I asked what this was for and they gave me a BS answer. Didn't feel like haggling for $154. Anyone know what this is?

Over invoice $ 300
    Agreed upon $300 over invoice. To feed the family of my salesman. He was a GREAT guy!

Tax, Liscn, Doc $ 1569.95
    The inevitable tax really hits hard on the final price.

REBATE -$ 750
    Yay! Although if you think about it, it just cancels out all the damn fees they charge. Marketing scheme?

So my final out the door price was $17234.95
    Before tax, liscence and doc it was $16415 - $750 Rebate

Overall, it was a very pleasant experience. I went to another dealer about a week ago and was offended with "thanks for wasting my time" when right from the beginning, I told them we were JUST LOOKING. The guy even tried to make us sign financing papers and fill out various forms. Pshhh, yeah right. The dealer where I finally bought from was very friendly, no haggle, no pressure. They even gave my 2 yr old son balloons, popcorn and candy, keeping him busy while we finalized the deal. They let me sit uninterrupted for almost 30 minutes while I broke out my calculator and crunched the numbers.

Considering the time and stress factor, I think I came out pretty well. What do you guys think?

What did you guys pay?
    2004 Toyota Corolla CE - 5 speed manual tranmission, deluxe am/fm/cd/cassette stereo

MSRP: $14,239 INVOICE: $13,785 -$200 Internet Discount =$13,585 + $23.50 Fl Fees (waste tire and battery, express filing fee) = $13,608.50 + 816.51 (sales tax) = $14,250.01 + $65.00 Tag Transfer Fee ($197 for a new tag) = 14,490.01 - $1,000 Rebate = $13,490.01 OUT THE DOOR!

There are no additional fees and no gimmicks. We make the deal simple and straight forward. Plus when you purchase and have your new vehicle serviced with us you will get free tires and batteries for life. Let me know and I will get the vehicle here for you and ready for you to take it home.

I can be reached by email or by calling any of the numbers listed below
    Palm Beach Fl
    Im not sure, but if you are a salesperson yourself, you need to more thoroughly read the terms of the Edmunds.com membership agreement.

Please do not misuse the boards and get them shut down for the rest of us who use them for the intended purposes.

~alpha

PS- juwh- Congrats! Sounds like a sharp Corolla a a very fair price!
    No I am not a dealer just copied an email from one. I should not have included that last line. Wanted to show all the fees. Also in The 5 Southeastern states you must take the upgrade am/fm/cass/cd.
     I am sorry and will be more careful.
    No I am not a dealer just copied an email from one. I should not have included that last line. Wanted to show all the fees. Also in The 5 Southeastern states you must take the upgrade am/fm/cass/cd.
     I am sorry and will be more careful.
  • princeofpunjabprinceofpunjab Member Posts: 14
    I recently purchased a Toyota Corolla LE and would like to share the numbers with everyone since this message board helped me out, I figure this is the way to pay back. Options were Cruise control, Weather package, Floor Mats, Trunk Mat and Net...

MSRP 16,748
    Edmunds Invoice : 15,415
    Price bought : 14,431 + Tax + Tags + 99 processing fee.

at that point I had the option of taking the 750 Cash back which would put the cost of the car at 13,681 OR the 1.9 Financing I took the 1.9%.

I think I fell into one trap though, the Extended waranty I paid 650 for 6 year /100,000 mile coverage just for my peace of mind.

Thats my 10 cents!
  • dlancerdlancer Member Posts: 9
    Well this may sounds funny. But is there anyone here from Quebec who just bought a corolla? I want to know whether I have a slim chance to get some discount. Paying FULL MSRP on a corolla isn't comfortable.
  • mystf18mystf18 Member Posts: 10
    Came back from a dealer, and was told that ABS was not necessary on a Corolla. He said that the braking system that comes standard is the equivalent of ABS. Is this true? Strikes me as odd since ABS is an option. Also, how necessary is ABS? He said abt the only way to get ABS is to also pay for side airbags, which my friends are saying is unnecessary.

Also, I am a student, and was thinking abt registering my vehicle in my school's state, instead of my home state b/c the tax rate is 2% less at school. Any drawbacks to this?

Thanks so much for any help.
  • mystf18mystf18 Member Posts: 10
    Can any1 tell me abt the $400 graduate incentive (for graduates in the last 2 yrs or those abt to graduate in 6 months)? If I want this rebate, how will this be checked? It would be a splitting of hairs to determine if I'm w/in that time frame. Also, if I'm not, does any1 think it's still possible to negotiate the additional $400 anyways? I feel like if the factory or dealer can offer $400 off to some, they could do it for me.

I truly appreciate any help.
  • lizservolizservo Member Posts: 5
    You need to show them a copy of your diploma...I took a picture and printed out a copy. They do check the date. Also, to get the rebate, you need to finance through Toyota...I did not know this until I got there and was thrown for a little loop, but all worked out just fine.

Also, about ABS. The dealer tried to tell me the same thing, but I wanted ABS and side airbags for safety. Extra airbags can save you money on insurance in some states (not mine) and they just released some crash test report and the cars that got high ratings were those w/side airbags. It's not that much extra for some added safety.

Good luck! :)
    I agree with the above (lizservo) on all points. What do your friends know about side airbags, anyway? You're obviously doing your research, mystf18, since you elected to post here. (Welcome, btw).

Also, Im pretty sure the Graduate Rebate program is $1000 from now until Aug 31st on 2004 models. Toyota rebates are typically regional, but I was under the impression this is the nationwide offer for Grad. rebates.

~alpha
    You do not have to get side airbags in order to get ABS brakes. I think the dealership is saying this to up-sell the side airbags, or that's what they have on their lot.

I know for my insurance, I did not get a safety discount from ABS brakes, however, side airbags may have made a difference. Ask your insurance about this. Even w/ ABS, insurance companies feel the Corolla is not as safe as other cars because the Corolla is a smaller car.

I highly reccomend ABS brakes, you really feel a difference and just feel safer w/ them.

I did get a anti-theft discount w/ my insurance because I got VIN etching and the LE comes standard with keyless entry.

FYI - I have read online that you do not need to purchase VIN etching thru the dealership. This is something you can purchase thru a car parts supplier, I belive, for something like $30. Check out www.carbuyingtips.com. The dealership wanted to charge me $299 to do VIN etching. I declined, but they threw it in for free since I bought an extended warranty and both my mom and dad had bought 3 cars from them before.

Also, I have read that if you are a person, such as myself, that likes the piece of mind of an extended warranty, you have up to 1 year after purchasing a NEW car to buy an extended warranty. If this is true, this is a fabulous thing. You can shop around to ensure you get the best deal, AND, this will, in essence, extend your total warranty for 1 year since it won't take into effect until the date you purchase the warranty. If someone has info about this, please post, I'm curious for the next time I buy a car.

** Make sure if you do purchase a warranty that it can be transferred to a new owner if you sell your car. This increases the re-sale value of your car. **

Hope this helps!
  • garyzgaryz Member Posts: 4
    The quote I got for this configuration in North Cal
    is $13900 for new and $13750 for one with 100 miles - all after $750 rebate.
    My quote has preferred Accessory Package (floor, trunk mats & nets) instead of floor mats.

Add %10 for out of door total.
  • garyzgaryz Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a Silver 04 Corolla LE Auto with
    ABS,
    side airbags,
    Aluminum Wheels,
    Cruise Control,
    AM/FM/CD/Cassette Combo with 6 speakers
    Carpet floor mats

for $14200 after $750 rebate, but before all the other fees. Total price with tax etc is $15639.

This is $1077 below carsdirect price.
  • mrs_laumrs_lau Member Posts: 3
    garyz,

That sounds like a pretty good deal for a Corolla LE. Which Toyota dealership in Northern CA?

thanks
  • carolyn2001carolyn2001 Member Posts: 2
    I'm researching the Corolla, I want to buy a low mileage LE, automatic, any suggestions would be welcomed, what year is "the best" as far as 1998-2001? I'm tall and need to know about any styling changes, it seems that one year was a lot smaller. Thanks! Oh ya, budget is around $10-12K. in Connecticut.
This discussion has been closed.