Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2003-2008 Toyota Corolla Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• garyzgaryz Member Posts: 4
    That's Capitol Toyota at South San Jose.
    They had another with only Cruise Control for less - see
    my another post.
    After I had my offer from Capitol, Sunnyvale Toyota was willing
    to match, but they didn't want to do better - this may
    explain why they still had 5 Silver LE with CL.
  • onedergyalonedergyal Member Posts: 11
    I'm looking for 20,000 -30,000 miles... in great condition... hopefully not more than $12g's
  • mufassamufassa Member Posts: 2
    HI were looking for the best deal for either a Matrix/Corolla S. We have been to the dealers several times and test drove the heck out of them."Love them Both" Is there anybody who has purchased one in Northern In. who might be helpful in letting us know about hidden cost or that a dealer might not tell you about until signing time. We just don't want to get taken advantage of it's our first new purchase.
  • borathborath Member Posts: 10
    Was wondering if I got a good deal on a Brand New 2004 LE Corolla.

The Out the Door (OTD) cost was 14,500. This includes tax, tags, registration fees and the rebate.
  • ustaad9ustaad9 Member Posts: 7
    Bought LE with ABS, Side Air Bag, Cruise, Am/Fm/Cass/CD Player, All Weather Pkg., Floor mats and Cargo Mat.

OTD price paid was $15,014 (including tax+tags of $1,014). All rebates reflected in the above price.
    PrinceofPunjab,

Your comments on warranty quite interesting. Which Dealership sold you this extended warranty? Is this a Toyota warranty and transferable? Did you buy one with $50 deductible or no deductible? Also, would like to know if you opted for ABS,SAB and ungraded radio pkg. for your Corolla. Your early reply would me much appreciated.
    Seems like an extremely good deal. Just curious abt the options you selected and the portion of your OTD price attributable to tax+tags.
  • princeofpunjabprinceofpunjab Member Posts: 14
    Yes this was a Toyota warrenty with no deductable 6/100k and yes it was transferrable.
  • mrs_laumrs_lau Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the great tip! I got my 04 Corolla at Capitol Toyota in San Jose yesterday for $1000 less than what Sunnyvale Toyota is willing to offer me.
  • garyzgaryz Member Posts: 4
    It is great to hear that you got a deal you are happy with.
    What did you get & for how much ?
  • mrs_laumrs_lau Member Posts: 3
    I got a lunar grey LE with cruise control, am/fm cassette/CD combo w/ 6 speakers, acessary package (car & trunk mats with net) for $15050 out the door. I'd prefer to have the ABS and side airbags but they only have it in blue and black which are not the colors I wanted. I appreciate your tip.
    Seems like an extremely good deal. Just curious abt the options you selected and the portion of your OTD price attributable to tax+tags.

The option I selected was cruise control, am/fm/tape/cd combo, cargo net, etc...

I didn't get the ABS or side airbags.

tax was 5% and tags was not more than $200...something like $160.
  • ca714ca714 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
     Can anyobne tell the best deal for the '04 Toyota Crolla CE sedan automatic in Orange County,CA. I read on these posts how some got it for 13K-13.5K OTD. I went to two dealerships and they only offered 13.9K OTD, which is not a good deal since the 2005's have arrived. I need you advice on the best deal. I still think 13.5K is a good deal. What do you think? Thank you so so much.
  • laurelgraelaurelgrae Member Posts: 15
    Hi!! FInally I have a new car (well I will when it arrives...). I got an 05 "S" 5 speed with the following options that I wanted: ABS, the Sunroof/Side AND Curtain airbags (for back and front new on 05's) package (MR), Extra Value Package #1 (Spoiler, Alloys etc, Power everything etc) and the following options that I had to get because it was the only car available for the next month or so in our region: All weather guard, security system, cargo mat and net, floor mats, 5 disk CD changer, some silly shifter knob chrome thingie, and door sill enhancements. I got the car for 224 over Dealer cost (which is just over 17000) for a total with DC of 17300. This is more than what edmunds says invoice is....not sure why...but I think a pretty good deal???
  • cincyshoppercincyshopper Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for an 04 Corolla CE in the Cincinnati, Ohio area. I've been quoted 14,700 by a couple of dealerships (before tax, title and incentive). These cars include the weather package, power doors and floor mats. It is around the TMV price, but seems to be too far above the invoice price - especially using the Consumer Reports pricing.

The guys were very nice, polite, not at all pushy (unlike the Honda dealer we spoke with!).

I have had a hard time getting prices by e-mail!!
  • stressednannystressednanny Member Posts: 1
    I am having a hard time getting a good price on a 2005 LE auto/4D corolla in the Phila area. I have done the research: CarsDirect quotes 14,275 invoice, but dealer sheet says 13,728 so I'm starting from there, then add on options sunroof/SAB, ABS, etc. for 2174.00 (dealer cost). The dealer is adding on 302.00 advertising, holdback 313.00 and "financial reserve" 156.00 and even gas (6.00). Total is 17,194. Initial asking price was 18,849 but dropped to only 17,300 + TTL. I think I am getting taken. Another dealer offering 17094. I come up with 15,924 including deduction of 3% holdback. Am I correct that holdback should be deducted---not added. ad does anyone pay adv. costs and fin. reserve (dealer prep)? I have no trade-in- 97 Mazda had rod knock and is not even driveable--should I expect anything for it or just be happy if they take it off my hands? Any advice/direction will be most helpful as I am driving a rental and these discrepancies will be moot if I rent for much longer!
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    I don't think you're going to manage to buy a car with MSRP of $18849 for $15924, at least not a Corolla. Sounds like the dealer sheet cost is invoice minus holdback (3%).

Also, I don't get your math. If you do invoice (not dealer sheet) plus options plus advertising, 'financial reserve' (that's a new one), gas and holdback, it's $17226. Where does this $15924 come from? It sounds like they're adding holdback (which you are not entitled to) but you're adding up the price of the car, then subtracting the 3%, maybe? I don't get it.

God bless you if you can pick it up for the $15.9k, but I don't see it happening. Not to be harsh, but sounds like you're expecting to keep not only the holdback but all possibility of profit for the dealer.

Keep trying, but like you said, you're paying for a rental now and it sounds like the dealers are both trying to earn your business ($1700 off MSRP on an $18k car isn't bad), so don't wait too long or the deal might disappear.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    You make excellent points. Stressednanny, another thing to consider is that the 2005s JUST came out, and are not on ANY type of rebate/incentive program.

Using a zip code in Toyota's Central Atlantic region (which includes the Philly area), heres what carsdirect.com shows for a 2005 Corolla typically equipped (if you want ABS and Side Curtains) for your area:

2005 Corolla LE 4 cylinder 4sp auto+
    ABS
    Side Airbags, Curtains, Moonroof (Pkg)
    Audio Value Pkg (includes cruise and 6-disc CD changer)
    All Weather Guard Pkg
    Floormats

MSRP: $18,352
    Invoice: $16,786
    Carsdirect.com "Target" Price: $17,436

(Note: I called this a typically equipped model b/c I went to Toyota's www.buyatoyota.com site to figure out how Corollas in your area are typically optioned. The above scenario is the only one that offers ABS and curtains.)

~alpha
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Just for reference in the Southeast Toyota region, the following on Cardirect in Atlanta shows this:

2005 Corolla LE 4 cylinder 4sp auto+
    ABS
    Side Airbags, Curtains, Moonroof (Pkg)
    Audio Value Pkg (includes cruise and 6-disc CD changer)
    All Weather Guard Pkg
    Floormats

MSRP: $18,407
    Invoice: $17,186
    Carsdirect.com "Target" Price: $16,611

Under Invoice by 500 down in Atlanta, but still a ways from the $15,900.
  • ejgejg Member Posts: 2
    I just put down a deposit (no car yet)in Morthern NJ/Metro NYC area on a 2005 Corolla S with:
    All weather guard
    ABS Brakes
    6 speaker AM/FM IN-Dash 6-CD changer
    Sun-Roof
    Extra Value Package - cruise control and power everything and Alloy wheels
    Carpet floor mats and Trunk Mat
    for $16,864
    Not including tax or document fee
    I wanted to get Side Air bags but it don't seem to be available in the greater NJ/NYC area with the other options I got (so they tell me).
    Is that a good price?

for
    I dont understand that AT ALL. I think carsdirect.com might be in error for SET or something. It is completely counter-intuitive for Toyota to offer a 2005 model, especially the popular Corolla, in its most popular trim line, at a $500 discount to INVOICE!

~alpha
  • ff2005ff2005 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering getting an XRS Corolla 2005. My question is, are they hard to negoitate since they are 'limited stock' and they are in 'high demand.'?? My salesperson wants $19600 (right at MSRP). Edmunds saids ppl are paying $19100. Comments!?????
    This is a great way to get into a new Toyota at a lower price. I believe that through August 31st, college grads can get a $1000 rebate on most models. The XRS seems awesome, its your call.

~alpha
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    My mother purchased a 2004 Corolla LE in late May. She absolutely loves the car. The buying experience was awesome. The dealer she bought from was really great. The car stickered for $17,250 and the price she paid was $14,797. That is $742 under dealer cost. I really thought that the Corolla would be hard to get a good price for, but not the case at all.
    Since 2005 models are out now, is there any way that we can get appraisal values for used 2004 cars? Edmunds only have up to 2003 used car values.
    A private seller in my area is offering a 2004 Corolla S model with only 2500 miles. The original price they posted was $14,500, but I got them down to $14000 so far.
    I don't know if this is a good price, since i have nothing to compare it with.
    It is Drk Blu, and has a sunroof, a/c, am/fm cass/cd, cruise, keyless entry, it has power everything Anti-Lock Brakes; Air Conditioning; Cruise Control; Compact Disc Player; Passenger Air Bag; Rear Window Defroster; AM/FM Stereo Cassette; Power Door Locks; Sunroof/Moonroof; Tilt Wheel. Let me know what you all think.

Thanks
  • drive2005drive2005 Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone have a information on how much i should be paying for Corolla LE in NJ
  • oscarslifeoscarslife Member Posts: 6
    I am in Gainesville FL and was looking at getting a Corolla CE or a Honda Civic VP. The Honda dealer in town made me a very good first offer which I bargained down a few hundred. I then went into the Toyota dealership where I looked at a '05 Corolla CE with Auto and a/c (no other extras). The sticker was around 15,250 and after we went into his office he told me he would be able to sell me the car for 14,900 and he said how that was a great deal and I wouldn't find better. I mentioned I was also negotitating for a different car and that I was going over there after I was finished with him.

That's when his attitude changed, he became insistant on selling me the car that minute and even said with a straight face "what do I have to do to put you in a car today". I was barely able to contain my laughter after such a cliche line, but told him I was not buying that minute and wanted to shop around more. I bet you can guess what happened next..

He left went to the manager's office and it looked like they were in a heated discussion, then the manager came over and said if I bought today he would sell for 13,900 ($1,000 of this supposed great price). I again refused and he asked me for a number I would pay to buy the car now. By this time I had a bad taste in my mouth so I left and ended up buying the Civic the next day.

Sorry for the long message but it has two morals. 1) When negotiating a price tell them you are also going to look at another large dealership (in a different town even) to compare deals, this will encourage them to give you a better offer. 2) Stick to your plan even if they tell you the deal is great if they sense you may look elsewhere their mood will change.

Also it lets everyone in the area know that any offer above 13,900 for an '05 CE with Auto and a/c is not appropriate and that below this number can be reached.

I hope I entertained and informed with my real life experience. No doubt Corolla's are great cars and I hope everyone has a better shopping experiance than me.
    Congratulations on your Civic VP, but you should be aware that all Corollas have air conditioning standard, so really when you say "CE with auto and air conditioning", youre really just saying a CE auto. Second, $13,900 on a 2005 is actually an outstanding deal, because of the model year of the car. If you were talking a 2004 model, which has a rebate, that price would be good, ok but not great. Im sure you got a great deal on your Civic, and you'll be very happy with it, but for the others here I just wanted to clarify those two things.

drive2005- First go to buyatoyota.com and look at the options configurations that are typical on the 2005 in the NJ area. Then, look at Edmunds pricing tools, or I prefer carsdirect.com to equip a car similar to what you want/whats available. I live in Central NJ, and I can tell you that I recommend AVOIDING FREEHOLD TOYOTA at all costs. They are one helluva group of dishonest people, and in my experience and that of friends/relatives recently, nothing has changed.

~alpha
    Thanks alpha,
    No doubt 13,900 was a good deal for the '05 Corolla and I probably would have taken it too if I didn't have a comparable offer from Honda. The salesman just left a bad taste in my mouth with the cliche underhanded tactics that I finally decided on the Honda. They were up front with me and never felt like I was being scammed.

Note, I do not believe all toyota and honda dealerships are the same, and people's experiences with the 2 could be reversed in their towns. Just wanted to help out fellow car shoppers with a humorous buying experience.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    All else being equal, I don't think I'd let a lousy dealer dissuade me from buying the car I wanted.....in other words, if I wanted a Corolla, I don't think I'd go buy a Civic VP just to spite the local Toyota goon. I haven't driven either, but I do know that the Corolla has some extra features (15 more hp, outside temp gauge, 15" as opposed to 14" wheels) the Civic doesn't have. I have heard the Civic is more fun to drive and will likely get slightly better gas mileage.
    The Corolla actually has MPG ratings for 2005 that equal or better the 117hp (DX, VP, LX) Civic engine or the 127hp VTEC (EX) Civic engines. More importantly than the 13 extra hp over the DX, VP, LX, the Corolla offers 125 foot pounds of torque at 4200 RPM, which is more usable than the Civic's meager 110 foot pounds at 4500 RPM. Car and Driver instrumented testing put a 2003 Corolla LE manual over a SECOND quicker than a 2002 Civic LX manual, which is substantial.

Regarding handling- the LX and EX might outhandle the Corolla, but the Civic DX and Value Pkg (VP) have the smaller 14 inch wheels you mentioned, but ALSO lack a rear stabilizer bar, which is standard in the Corolla and prevents tail wag and enhances control in demanding situations, such as Consumer Reports' emergency handling test, or Car and Driver's accident avoidance manuever. Personally, I wouldnt buy a car without a rear stabilizer bar again (I had a 1994 Civic DX coupe lacking that feature), but many people dont care about such things.

~alpha
    All else being equal, I don't think I'd let a lousy dealer dissuade me from buying the car I wanted.....in other words, if I wanted a Corolla, I don't think I'd go buy a Civic VP just to spite the local Toyota goon. I haven't driven either, but I do know that the Corolla has some extra features (15 more hp, outside temp gauge, 15" as opposed to 14" wheels) the Civic doesn't have.

I was very torn on which car to buy through the whole research process and the Corolla extras you mentioned were very attractive. But when I said the offers were comparable I meant including everything. The Civic offer price was lower 13,700 (vs 13,900)and that included side airbags which the Corolla price didn't. So the dealer's attitude was not the only deciding factor it was just one of them.

BTW I test drove the Corolla also and thought it was a fun car to drive also, the extra hp help with that. Believe me I encourage people to buy either the Civic or the Corolla, just telling my experience.
  • ruddy1ruddy1 Member Posts: 4
    I was given a price of $13,532 on a 4 door Corolla CE with an option package of cruise control and power door locks key-less entry. I got this price over the internet form a local dealer. My question is. Is this a good price?
    Is that manual or automatic? If its a manual, thats a very good price. If its an automatic, that is phenomenal. Are you sure the options package includes keyless?

~alpha
  • zmxh20zmxh20 Member Posts: 3
    I was quote, out the door Brand new 05 Corolla LE auto/air with VV & M5 options for $15.8K. Is that a good deal or not. What price will be the good deal for Corolla 05 CE and 05 LE in Texas?

First I were quote for different price and jerk up the price when I was in their dealership. Is it fair deal or dealer used to do? I deal first with internet mgr.
    The Corolla CE is a 5 speed manual. the pkg is (cruise and power locks)and floor mats. Dose this mean it is key-less entry? And is it still a good deal. The price is less tax, tag, and fees.
    Thank you Ruth
    I dont think many of us are familiar with the options codes, so if you could tell us what VV and M5 are, that would be great.

If you want a good idea of what people in your area are paying for 2005 Corollas, use Edmunds.com pricing tools.

ruddy1- The Corolla CE Convenience pkg (cruise and power door locks) does not include keyless entry, so if thats on the car, its a separate option. Without keyless entry, a Corolla 5sp with the package you state is about $14,630. Invoice is about $13,780, so if you can get the car for $13,500, thats a very good price (its under invoice). If you are really agressive, you might be able to do just a bit better.

~alpha
  • zmxh20zmxh20 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry about the options codes. The car has Auto/Air.

VV=6 speaker AM/FM IN-Dash 6-CD changer + Cruise control.
    M5=Floor + Trunk carpet

Free tint on window.

Dealer offer, OTD (Out the door) for $15.8K in Texas metropolitan area. The price is better than Edmunds price,if you include TTL. But, I saw some have done a great deal. Is any one from Texas has better deal than this? Pls share your experience or suggestion?.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Wow, someone interested in buying a manual transmission! Maybe that's why they are letting it go so cheap!
    I recently purchased a new 2004 Toyota Corolla and it came with a $750 rebate...I know it's too late now, but if I had known about the College Graduate Finance Program (Mentioned below) would I have gotten an extra $400 rebate for a total of $1,150 in rebates? I just graduated from college in dec 2003, so I would have qualified.

-------------------
    College Graduate Finance Program

Get a $400 rebate on a new Toyota!

If you qualify for the College Graduate Finance Program, you'll receive a $400 rebate on the purchase of a new Toyota. Check out the details below for what it takes to qualify.*
  • hoodyhoody Member Posts: 25
    OK after reading these posts for several months now, and going back and forth between the RAV, and Hyundai's Santa Fe forums, I settled in on this corolla one for a bit, since I just got my mom in a 05 CE while in Memphis for pops funeral, I was hooked on them, so here I am with a 05 LE Corolla....... just got it today, hell haven't even paid for it yet lol, but its parked out front of the house :)... will stroke them a check Monday...... I got it for what I figured was a good price... after all the research.... it has the usual stuff, all weather guard, preferred owners portfolio ( I guess is this book lookin thing).....the usual 4 floor mats, cargo mat, and some goofy cargo net... the main one is the VV the audio value pkg with a CD changer and 6 speakers this also incl the cruse..... which I don't use anyway..... the thing had a MSRP on the sticker of $15,690.00..... after the "options" it came to $16,919.00..... it had a $250 extra value pkg discount..... which had a sticker of $16,669.00...... to make it short here, I ended up payin $15,307.00..... with the final OTD inl ALL fees of $16,238.31....... a price I can live with as carmax was only 90 bucks less and I would have had to drive 3 hrs to DC to get it, besides buyin it here I also got 2 years of free factory recomended maintenance at the required milage, free oil and filters for that time, and life time free state inspections.... and a free ride and pickup when its in the shop.... so all in all I feel I did OK and am happy with the deal...... OH its Impulse Red with Lt gry interior... real nice... I was also interested in a S, but didn't wana pay any more for extra plastic or a useless spoiler, besides at 57 who cares HAHA..... so guess I'll bookmark this forum for good now :).... L8r....Hoody
  • sophiesophie Member Posts: 5
    Due to $$$ circumstances, I need to downsize (a lot) for a couple of years. I'm driving Avalon XLS so I know that going to a Corolla is a world apart. But ya gotta do, what ya gotta do. Aside from all that, what do you think of the new Corolla XRS ? Anything bad that I should know about? Also, did they have an XRS in '04, and if yes, any big differences?

Thanks for your help.
    What do you think I should be paying for a new XRS with auto, power package and moon roof? Any good deals in Philly suburbs?

Thanks!
    You cant get an XRS with an automatic?

~alpha
    I found out after I posted this. Thank you. Another question for you. Do you know the difference between the '04 and '05 Corolla S?

Thanks again!
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Very little differences. Mostly just cosmetic changes, maybe minor price change, maybe differences in option packages. Nothing at all major. See the Toyota website. You really should go for the XRS, though! It's really nice, and will stand out in a world full of Corollas - although it is more $$.
    The reason Autoway gave me and Out The Door price on the 2005 Corolla CE 5 speed 4 door, including tax. tag and fees of $14550 was because the did not include the options of cruise control, Keyless Entry/Security System and Power locks. That comes to $902 making the total price $15452. They told me, you can not get Keyless Entry/Security System without the package of cruise control and power locks. Dose any know if this is a good price and is it true about the Keyless Entry?
    Thank you Rudd1
  • jim6jim6 Member Posts: 1
    Corolla 2005 CE

Manual transmission
    Cruise/power doorlocks
    All weather package
    Floor mats

*Full tank gas, yearly inspection sticker life of ownership

Price out the door $14,299.08
    $13,575.00 + $249.00(processing fee) + $414.72(3% VA. title tax) + $10.86(Dealer's Business licence tax) + $49.50(license plate + title fee)

Financing: $2000.00 down @ 2.9%,60 month $220.71
    I finally got my new 4 Door Corolla with a 5 speed transmission. With the Options of cruise/power door locks, Keyless/Security Entry, All weather package, Floor mats for $14,200 Out The Door including Tax,Tag and title fee. Buying form the Internet was a pleasure. At one time I had two dealers bidding against each other. Thank to you people out there and this great service that Edmunds provides it was the easiest deal i ever made. Only 20 minutes in the dealers office.

Thank to All
    Rudd1
This discussion has been closed.