Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2003-2008 Toyota Corolla Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tom3ktom3k Member Posts: 91
    Sorry, I could swear it only said Matrix in the topic title. It is a base-model Matrix.
  • 914914 Member Posts: 15
    tom3k - No problemo.
  • prymalprymal Member Posts: 2
    Well, originally I ordered it fully loaded w/ the navigation but I was told that Toyota is not making it for the Chicago region (5-state area) for 6 months. So I had to downgrade. Originally it was ordered on March 26th. Consequently, I had to cancel that order and went to another dealership on April 29th. I ordered the following:

Automatic (yeah, yeah... I know)
    Power Moonroof & 16" alloy wheels (since 17" are unavailable w/ the moonroof)
    Seat Back Storage Bags/First Aid Kit
    Rear Bumper Protector
    All-Weather Guard Package
    Alloy Wheel Locks
    VIP RS3200 Plus Security System
    Carpet Floor Mats
    All-Weather Floor Mats
    Cargo Mat
    Electrochromic Mirror w/ Compass & Map Lights

Total is $21,822 with destination/taxes/license included (paid 5% above invoice)

I was initially told 6-8 weeks for delivery. The wait is killing me. :)
    prymal - I'm from the Chicago area also. I also cancelled my order with one dealer, and reordered from another. I do not recommend Elgin Toyota, but have been very happy with Schaumburg Toyota. I pick up my car tomarrow.
  • prymalprymal Member Posts: 2
    914 -- Schaumburg was actually the first dealer I went to about the Matrix and they said they couldn't get an XRS with the options I wanted (navigation and sunroof being priorities).

I then went to Arlington Toyota in Buffalo Grove... they had it on order for a month (quoted me MSRP... wouldn't go any less) and said it was unobtainable and refunded my $500 deposit.

As a final resort, I went onto Autobytel.com and filled out the info... Elmhurst Toyota has my money now... they've already sold 4+ XRS's and once they sell them, they earn them from the factory. So supposedly I'm automatically allocated. *shrug*

I'm going to call today to find out what the hold up is. You'd think that after a month, they'd have at least *some* information instead of nothing. They keep reassuring me that it's been ordered. That's fine and all, but I want "details". :)
    prymal - I know. Elgin Toyota held my deposit of $1000 for four weeks, and never placed the order or "Allocated" a car for me. I think my salesman was just playing games with me, since I was getting an internet price. I was given stories like "I will know the delivery date next Monday". Monday comes and then "Next Friday I'll know for sure". This went on and on for four weeks, until finally my salesman said "They are not making those cars" (I wanted manual transmission.) At that point I wanted my deposit back. Long story short - TODAY I drove home my new indigo ink Corolla S. Only two miles on it when delivered. Schaumburg Toyota (My salesman) kept me well informed while I waited for delivery (Seven long weeks).
    Has anybody purchased the 7yr/100K mi/$0 deductible ('Platinum') Toyota extended warranty for their Matrix? The best I could get out of my dealer was $900, which I thought was a little steep considering there was already 5 years on the powertrain.

I extended the warranty on my Odyssey when the tranny went at 15k mi, and was able to get several hundred off the Honda warranty by shopping around. Ended up buying over the phone from a dealer in NJ.

I'm torn between the fact that my Matrix has a manual transmission and the Corolla platform should be rock-solid, and the idea that this is a first-year model and could have a few bugs that may or may not reveal themselves in the first three years.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    XRS with 6-speed & moonroof: $1000 over invoice (about $700 under MSRP). That was the salesman's 1st offer and he said he couldn't go any lower due to the limit XRS production. Since we really wanted the car, we didn't bother to dicker. I have no doubt that someone else would have come along and bought it at that price very quickly. Love it so far with only about 500 miles on it. Leased thru Toyota with .003 money factor and .5784 residual, 3 years, 15K miles/year.
  • alyssazmomalyssazmom Member Posts: 142
    Hello,

What would one pay for a 2003 Toyota Corolla LE with leather interior, side airbags, ABS brakes, moonroof and automatic?

Thanks!

Carrie
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Side airbags and ABS are not likely to be available...the market in your area is a few hundred over invoice plus average $200 doc fee.
  • alyssazmomalyssazmom Member Posts: 142
    Or ABS? How come?

Thanks,

Carrie
    www.toyota.com and use the "Build Your Own" feature. The reason is that Toyota isn't making it to your configuration for your region.

Also, track down cliffy1 and ask him, he's a Virginia dealer.
  • bearabullbearabull Member Posts: 3
    I was very happy with my experience at Arlington Toyota. I first dealt with them through the internet, I think it was invoice dealers. Then once I got a price from libertyville toyota, I sent it to a few local dealers to see if they would match. I finally went to Arlington and asked their internet sales manager how he came up with the price and he actually came down another 500. I order the basic XR in cosmic blue with the moonroof, cruise, carpet mats for 550 over invoice.
  • behhppbehhpp Member Posts: 51
    Edmund's lists price of sunroof and leather at about 1000. This includes a cruise control. Price of sunroof alone is 800. Price of cruise is 250. Toyota's build your own car allows you to add leather at no charge. Has anyone tried to add leather without a sunroof?
  • mralanmralan Member Posts: 174
    I've seen 03 Corollas CE with auto in ads for about $14k. Anyone pay close to this?
    Paid out the door price of 16400 for LE, Auto, Cruise, Etr CD/Cassette combo, 5 piece mat set. No Corollas on the lot in our area, but they ordered one and they said it came off assembly line yesterday.
  • saturnfansaturnfan Member Posts: 40
    Actually was able to get a Corolla CE 5 speed for $13,996 w/o one red cent of adds from Southeast Toyota Distributor.

Was treated great at Fred Anderson Toyota in Raleigh, NC. They showed me the allocated car coming from port and had Southeast drop the $159 carpet mats. Then, as I requested, they threw in Toyota all-weather rubber mats which I prefer immensely over carpeted floor mats.

Got the car right off the truck and it was prepped perfectly.

Very happy with what I got in the base model which comes std with A/C and CD/cassette.

Ha, ha, Southeast, you couldn't stick me with any distributor addons.

Now have 1 Saturn & 1 Corolla.
  • lily888lily888 Member Posts: 12
    Hi, It is my first time to buy a car. So a little scared.
    I live in Detroit. I am I'm interested in 2002 Honda Civic EX and 2003 Toyoda Corolla CE. Which one will be fit for the snow weather in Detroit? I usually use my car to commute to work and occasionally drive 4 hours to Chicago on holiday. Could anybody recommend me which one I should buy?
    BTW, some people told me that it is a better deal to buying a one or two years used car still within warranty than buying a new car? Could anyone also tell me your opinion on it?
  • justdreamingjustdreaming Member Posts: 1
    Our "Out The Door" price was $16,000. This was for an automatic,moonroof,upgrade CD/Cassette,6 speakers,5 Floor Mats.We did not get the leather package with the moonroof.We kept the cloth seats.
  • lily888lily888 Member Posts: 12
    Now another question: The ABS system is optional of Toyota Corolla CE. So could anyone tell me if it worth to add ABS? Thanks.
  • dogtrainerdogtrainer Member Posts: 96
    You really can't go wrong with either of these cars. They will both do OK in the snow as long as you know how to drive in it. I'd suggest you drive them both and buy the one you like best. Don't listen if either salesman bad mouths the other car. As far as ABS goes, I'd say definitely get it, and pay extra if you must.

It is true that you can get a better deal buying a two year old car, especially if you buy one that is in the dealer's preferred warranty system. This gives you a warranty almost as good as a new car.
    ABS is very popular and on a lot of folk's 'must have' list, but I've only had one car with ABS - a 2000 Honda Odyssey - and despite the weight of the car (over 4K lbs) and the power of the engine (which causes me to often drive maybe a little faster than I should ;-)), I have yet (2.5 years+) to brake hard enough on the car to kick the ABS in.

My Matrix, which is the same platform as the '03 Corolla and I assume the same brakes, has the standard brakes which have done a fine job stopping the car. If price is an issue (it definitely was with me), I personally wouldn't consider lack of ABS a deal-killer.

Just my $0.02.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    ABS can be very valuable if you live in areas with slippery surfaces like New England. When you brake with ABS and are trying to turn at the same time, the ABS keeps the wheel rolling. Only when a tire is rolling, can it apply lateral forces properly to generate a change in direction.

What I found out about ABS availability is that Toyota really isn't making this option available except in very, very limited quantities. It is standard on the XRS, where I guess the marketing geniuses at Toyota think the pocket-rocket racer crowd and car mags consider it a 'must have'.

But you basically can't get it in New England or Upper Mid-west on a base or XR. My dealer said they've tried to build special order ABS, but the car doesn't get built that way!

If you want ABS, check dealer inventory at dealerships from Savannah to Baltimore. It's warm, balmy and a part of the country where ABS is much less valuable to owners, therefore its available!
  • iwphilliwphill Member Posts: 48
    I bought the base Matrix 2 days ago w/auto, CD/Cassette, cruise control. MSRP = $16,504, paid $15,604. Extremely happy with it.
  • goldendollgoldendoll Member Posts: 4
    We purchased our 2003 CE Corolla middle of May and to our surprise (and the dealer's) it was made in Japan! A "JT" as they refer to it(pertaining to the VIN) If it starts with a JT, the vehicle's final assembly point is Japan. Every other Corolla we have looked at was assembled in Fremont, California. Any others like it out there? We're just wondering how many snuck in.
  • jeff925jeff925 Member Posts: 1
    I think I got a good deal today in Charleston, SC at Gene Reed Toyota.

I got a a lunar mist colored XR with stone interior, automatic, two wheel drive plus the following

Moon Roof and Air Diverter
    Day Night Mirror
    Fog Lights
    Cruise Control
    Mats (Front and Back)
    Cargo Net and Tie Downs
    Rear Bumper Guard
    16" Aluminum Alloy Wheels
    Rear Intermittent Wiper and Defroster
    Toyota Guard Package
    AM/FM CD Cassette 6 Speaker Stero
    Snap on Cover for Back Storage Area
    Two Remote Entry Keychain Fobs and Keys
    Power windows and locks
    Leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob

for 18,300 cash out the door price which includes tags and taxes.

It just came off the truck and they will deliver it tomarrow. I can hardly wait to go cruising in it.

Another dealer in town would not come off the list price a cent and only had one black basic
    model on his lot. Said it would be a week or so to order one in from somewhere and would be in the neighborhood of 22,000.

Has anyone posted pictures anywhere of how a XR
    would look with tinted windows around the "cargo"
    area as I am thinking of doing this?
    I "bought" a Corolla two weeks ago. They tell me it will be here Saturday, after 1st saying it would be here today. They said it went to the port in SC first, then they told me Florida. I thought these cars were built in Canada, but maybe I am getting one built in Japan. If I ever actually get to see my new car I will check the VIN number and see from that where it was built. They can't keep a Corolla on the lot in our city. They are a hot car right now, and apparently Toyota cannot make them fast enough for the demand.
  • brs12brs12 Member Posts: 3
    Just owned a 2003 Corolla LE Automatic for $15588

The dealer (Burien Toyota in Seattle) told the invoice of the car is 15288 (which I dont think so but anyway) and I paid 15588 ... happy with it.

Options include:
    FE, CK, CL, EJ, C1, GN, CF

Had a bad experience with Toyota of Kirland where the dealer took the deposit promising to get the car in 3 weeks maximum and after 2 months did not have anything.
  • brs12brs12 Member Posts: 3
    goldendoll, I just got a 2003 Corolla LE automatic, and its VIN number also starts with "JT".

Is there anything particular about this ... or that i need to be aware about.

Thank you.
  • richdogrichdog Member Posts: 1
    Live in Charleston. Got the Matrix XRS with all the standard options, manual 6 speed. Cosmic Blue Metallic in dash 6 disc cd changer with bazooka subwoofer and amp. They also threw in some carpet mats. Take home was 18865.

Don't pay for the Toyota Guard Package, it's a shame. Comes standard on all models. Dealers just like to throw it in there to raise the price up. Also don't pay for a paper processing fee. That's b.s. 2.

Also, don't buy from Gene Reed or West Ashley in Charleston. Go to Beaufort. Stokes Brown Toyota. They'll hook you up.
    brs12...Congratulations, consider yourself lucky that you got a JT. One fellow told me that this plant in Japan is the best car assembly factory in the world (don't ask me what his source was)but hey, sounds good to me. When it's time to sell you can always say, Rare..made in Japan Corolla, I was told there's a premium for that. We paid $13998 for our CE in CA. Did you get yours in CA as well?
  • bsum70bsum70 Member Posts: 37
    richdogs: Is your 'take home price' includ TTL? What options (that you need to pay for) included in your new ride?? The price seems low for a XRS...
  • dwbehrens1dwbehrens1 Member Posts: 6
    FE federal emissions
    CK cold weather pack
    AB antilock brakes
    EJ 6 disc in dash cd player
    SP sport package
    BE side impact air bags

in lunar mist,
    $500 over invoice or $16,554.00 not
    including sales tax or motor vehicle fees
    at Crestmont Toyota, Pompton Plains, NJ. I have to wait 8 weeks for delivery. my salesman was Robinson Bordamonte
  • mpynempyne Member Posts: 120
    So how do you like it??
    Does it seem like its built solid.
    I read some owners complain of rattles etc.... on the NUMMI ones

Im looking into buying a new 2003 corolla after giving my 2002 to my girl friend.

There are some corolla's on the lot here (michigan) that are from Japan and would like to check those out.
    We are very happy with our purchase. It is no doubt a solid car. JD powers was the entity who rated this factory in Japan as the best in the world, in relation to consumer satisfaction. Not a rattle or a squeak. They don't even advertise them here in Northern California anymore. No more deals. The Toyota dealerships can't keep them on their lots.

Our price in May was $13998 for an automatic CE plus TL.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Hi dbehrens1

You ordered a configuration on an XR that I've was looking for too. They are impossible to find or get here in New England, where the ABS is valuable - hence the reason Toyota sends them to the South East.

I figured out that the SouthEastern Toyota dealerships ( AL, GA, SC, NC and FL) are getting 2WD XRs with 5spd, some of which are equipped like yours.

If you check SavannahToyota.com, they don't have the spec car you asked for but the inventory listing says there are 39 other 2WD 5 spd XRs either at other SET dealerships or inbound to them.

If you want to cut short your wait perhaps you could get your dealer to get one from down South! For example, I looked through all of the Lunar Mists XR 2WD 5spds and saw one that is config'd like your plus the moonroof option. It's VIN ends in XXXXXXXXXXX26A535 from the inventory listing. They don't tell you where it is but it is due to its dealer on 7/9, which means its probably in 'port' which I think is Jacksonville.

Maybe your dealer could contact SET to see if they could get it. It has a high MSRP because down south they add 1970's rip-off packages called 'Toyo Guard' which includes stuff like 'paint sealant.' But perhaps if its an intra dealer deal, you could get that option price reduced to zero given its value.

Good luck!
    i just traded my 2002 for a 2003 corolla CE (Black Sand Pearl)

im picking it up in about 2 hours, and i also got
    one that was built in japan!!!!

this car came of the truck last night (no test drives 0 miles!!!)(2 came in last night and both are gone this morning)

i paid msrp $15102 (i know... but i figure what the heck when i bought cheaper my dealer sucked so i dont mind paying the extra $10 a month)
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    what made you decide to trade in your 2002 for the 2003? Were you having any problems or did you just want the '03? Keep us posted on how you like it!
    it was a couple things. i was so unhappy with the dealership i bought my car from that it almost ruined the whole experience of having the car. 2nd was i figured my payment would only be $30 dollars more a month so what the heck. lastly i thought this would be my only chance of owning 1 built in japan (i know sounds weird but i want to see if the quality is really that much better compared to cars built here or canada)

as far as the 2003 corolla. all i can say is "oh my god!!!!!"

the car is sooooo much better than the 2002 model.
    i know youve heard this but it is like a mini leuxs. also im still getting used to how big (tall) the car is compared to the 2002 model. its like you can just walk in it(dont have to step down) and the headroom is amazing (im 5 11 and plenty of headroom.

this car is a keeper for a looooong time.
    i love it!!!!!!!
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    Sound good! I love the look of the '03 - it reminds me of a Lexus as well (I have a relative who has a '02 ES 300) - I have a '01 LE - like it very much - am very pleased with the gas mileage too - but I must say the '03 looks alot better - good luck with your new car.
  • mralanmralan Member Posts: 174
    Has anyone paid $14k for an 03 Corolla with auto? I've seen ad cars for that amount, just curious if anyone actually approached that figure?
  • beethoven07beethoven07 Member Posts: 167
    I just bought a new Matrix to keep the Camry company in the garage.

I bought a Lunar Mist XR FWD w/ automatic

plus:

17" Alloy Wheels
    All Weather Guard
    Anti Lock Brakes
    Cargo Mat
    Carpet Floor Mats
    Cruise Control
    3 in 1 Stereo
    Sport Plus Package
    Bumper Protector
    VIP Alarm System

MSRP - $19,597
    Invoice - $17,546

I paid - $18,300

I feel this is a pretty good deal for this time in Portland, OR. There aren't too many Matrix's in the area yet and most people in the NW seem to be paying MSRP or even a little over.

I bought my car through Autobytel.com
  • luongsluongs Member Posts: 1
    I just pickup my 03 LE Corolla with auto after a week of searching through every dealers in PA and NJ. This car is made from Japan (VIN # begin with JT)considered myself one of the lucky one and priced at $15800.
    we should compare build quality between the nummi/cambridge and japanese built corollas' to see if the quality control is different.

my 2003 japan built corolla is solid, i only have had it a week so maybe to early to give thumbs up yet, but i thought my car tank was broken because my gas mileage is really really good. im getting close to 40 miles a gallon!!!
  • jojo02jojo02 Member Posts: 2
    After much searching... my family and I finally found one! It took 6 dealerships.

But I got a Corolla S automatic with Keyless Entry, CD/Cass, Floor Mats, Sport Plus Package (spoiler, etc), and all that great power stuff.

It was $16,650 plus fees.
  • luckykluckyk Member Posts: 11
    Hemet Auto Mall, Talk to Cathy Harris at Gosch. She was willing to do it all by email. Great experience for me. Took 4 weeks for it to come in. Couldn't pick color. It was silver or nadda. I like it though. Sent inquiries all over SoCal. These S and LEs are sold long before they arrive at the dealerships. No defects upon delivery that I've found so far. 35 mpg on first tank of mixed driving.

2003 S
    5 sp
    All the electrics.
    No moon roof.
    No Sports Pkg.
    Floor Mats (which are very cool)
    Cargo Mat for trunk (larger than I expected)
    Cruise Control
    CD player
    $14926 before TTL.

Bought Michelin's and Z Racing 16" wheels at Sears in June during their annual sale. The 205/55 R16s look great and really stick to the road. Anyone need some factory Goodyears and Steel wheels? Never been used. : )
  • orlysforlysf Member Posts: 2
    I'm just curious on how much would it cost me to get a 2003 Corolla S (Manual) with power windows, locks, Am/Fm/Cd with 6 speakers, alloy wheels, spoiler, keyless entry and with security system? How about Corolla S (Auto), with power locks, windows, A/m/Fm/Cd with 6 speakers, keyless entry and security system? Please advise me since I'm buying one this August 10th. Thanks...

orly
    orlysf, it all depends on the market in your area. Some places are close to invoice, some are closer to sticker. Where are you shopping?
  • majorlagmajorlag Member Posts: 4
    I got my 03 Corolla S with auto trans, am/fm/cd 6 speakers, sports package and power package for about 15750 without tax and fee. No cruise control and no alarm and no moonroof. from bay area. wanna know which dealer i got it from?, just contact me at majorlag@pacbell.net
    also has the preferrred package that includes mats and net
  • 03rolla03rolla Member Posts: 1
    My '03 Corolla CE with automatic transmission and nothing else was $13117 (ad car) and ended up being a smidge over $14400 out the door with our 8.5% sales tax here in the SF Bay Area. 14 miles on the clock when I took delivery.
This discussion has been closed.