Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2003-2008 Toyota Corolla Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• keptnamekeptname Member Posts: 51
    Be insistent on your price, so long as its reasonable. I just got a deal on a Corolla LE auto with side airbags, audio value package, and antilock brakes for $15500 with my trade in, plus TTL. Ended up being 17000 OTD. The guy tried to come up with a lot reasons why he shouldn't give it to me for that price, but he finally had to give in.

I always incorporate doc fees into their profit.
  • daiqaritadaiqarita Member Posts: 7
    I talked to the salesman again, he transferred me to his GM right away. He said he was going to look into it, when I asked if he could give me a break down for the "around 16,400" he mentioned. GM says, I don't know where he got that figure. He broke it down for me and said it would be about 17242 or so OTD. Figuring in the 359 doc fee and the approximate Title, Lic, Reg he quoted at $283 (+/- $10) and the 8.35% tax... I still come up with a total of 17123.12 OTD... unless I figured wrong.

The GM said he could get me a CE for about $16677 OTD with the upgrade pkg (power windows/doors, cruise) and the mandatory all weather pkg.

After researching on Edmunds and finding the invoice with destination at $14439 and them telling me $100 over invoice. When I brought up that their invoice seemed higher than what I had researched, he said that there were some options that you have to take on the vehicle that aren't considered in the online inventory price.

I'm gonna take a look at the CE now and see if that would be worth it.
    The best thing you could do is to hand them an itemized listing of the costs of everything and include EVERYTHING so that both sides have an out the door agreed upon. This is how I do it. This way no one can hit me with any other "fees" or whatever else I may not expect at the last minute.

So if you come up with 17123, hand them your itemized costs with that as your OTD. Good luck!
    p.s. they should tell you what those "options" are and you should be able to research the pricing. If they are for things like undercoating then I wouldn't pay for it.
    Frustrated. I called him back and said I didn't want his options and that I would give him 11000 plus my trade in (BB 5095) and call it even. He then said best offer 11725 with my trade-in (of course based on a looksee). I said I needed to think about it. He's got some options on it also that have value, but I don't need/want them. So I said 11,500 plus my car (pending his looksee) and I'd come down today. He said 11625 if he can squeeze a little more out of my trade in. I don't care where it's squeezed from. So anyways, 11500 was my best or I'm getting a civic ;) So he said he couldn't do it, he had shaven the price off everywhere he could. Oh well. So there you have my experience. Man car buying is stressful if you don't wanna pay the sticker! :)
    About an hour after I talked to the dealer, he called and asked me to bring my trade down for a looksee. I asked him how long it would take to look it over and tell me if he would accept my offer. He said about 5 minutes. I said I'd come down in a bit. I went there, he looked at my trade as promised it took about 5 minutes. He came in said we had a deal. So... I got a 2006 Toyota Corolla LE with tinted windows, all weather guard packaged, audio value package (6 disk cd, cruise control), auto-dimming mirror, cargo mat, 4 piece floor mats. It's a manual transmission as well. I got it for $11,500 plus my trade-in (KBB trade-in value was $5,095). I know they can bump and adjust all the extra little fees and even my trade-in. I think I did alright...I hope! ;) I did all my negotiation over the phone, I only had to be at the dealer for 1 1/2 hours doing paperwork and everything.
  • tingwentingwen Member Posts: 6
    Received quote from wholesaler for $14985 OTD (out the door). Good deal?

wen
  • biggie1biggie1 Member Posts: 6
    Got a new one yesterday. I use Cars Direct to find the car and also to negotiate prices. Nice transaction never talk to a salesman just agreed over the phone on price offer. We went in the next day at 11:00a.m. to sign the paper two hour later we drove home. Base model CE this was for a commute car only. We drive 80 miles daily to work down and back up the Cajun pass and needed power and economy.

Purchase at Longo Toyota this place is the Wal-Mart for cars. They dont even get commission they just take order. My sale writer said they sale 100+ car daily over 150 on weekend place was a mad house. Anyway paid $14574.43 OTD use the 4.9 apr for 60 month 500 down. I was happy in and out 2 hour would have been hour car was ready when pull in. But wife cnange her mind and want gray color not silver so the had to wash another car. Did not matter to them another lady drove of in it (silver) before ours was wash and ready to go. Anyone is So/Cal looking for a car this is places to go. I ask one of the guy who own this gold mine and found out it part of Roger Penske Inc.
    Here is a copy of there offer email (car direct).

Thank you for your vehicle order.

To view your Vehicle Pricing Confirmation, please click on the below link and log in. Once you are OK, respond with I agree. Please contact me if you have any questions. I will contact you for additional details

Loan Amount $ 14,574
    Down 500.00
    Term (Months) 60

Interest Rate 4.90

Days to First Payment 45

Loan Details
    Total of Payments $ 16,462.20
    Finance Charge $ 1,887.77
    Amount Financed $ 14,574.43

Monthly Payment $ 274.37
    www.CarsDirect.com
    America's #1 way to buy cars online
    Sounds like a stress free deal. I almost did that, but the pricing was higher than I wanted to pay and they told me that the dealer could still charge a fee. I didn't want to deal with an unknown.

Congrats on the car.
    Excellent job! Holding out seems to do the trick.
  • biggie1biggie1 Member Posts: 6
    I agree it was stress free. There was no added fee that I was charged. But you might have ask for a lower price and got it. I am not sure, because to me the price was right on. I was okay with it and did not make a counter offer maybe we should have..
  • jhayesjhayes Member Posts: 10
    Just left the dealership and looking to purchase a Corolla S in Phanthom Grey.

MSRP: $18850
    Deal: $16557
    Doc: $ 300

OTD: $16857 + TTL

Is that a good offer? Looking to purchase ASAP, feedback would be appreciated.
    Are there options as well?

I might have tried to get them down another $200, only because I hate the "document fees". However, if you are in need of a car then no need to haggle over $200.
    So far, I was able to get the car $300 under invoice because I didn't want to pay the Doc fee. The Manager told me they had show a Doc fee on the paperwork. So the $300 under invoice + the $300 doc fee put me right back at invoice price.
  • ronald711ronald711 Member Posts: 44
    I have a question. the Frankfort KY Glenn Toyota is advertising a 2006 Corolla S, I have been considering this car, and thought I could get a good deal on one that was part of the TRAC rental program with 3800 miles on it, but they are telling me that the car is not considered used, it is still new cause it was never titled and was part of there TRAC program., so that is why the price is listed as it is, here is the spec they indicate
    Vehicle 2006 Toyota COROLLA S
    Bodystyle 4 Dr Sedan
    Exterior Color Gray
    Interior Color BLACK
    Mileage 3,802 Miles
    Engine 1.8 liter 4 Cyl. Fuel Injected
    Transmission Automatic With Overdrive
    Price $ 17,988

VIN # 1NXBR32E16Z587928
    Stock# 87928

MY BIG QUESTION IS!!! Shouldn't I be able to get this car for under invoice, seeing it already has almost 4,000 miles on it? I just don't understand why its not considered a used vehicle when its part of a lfeet program? I mean Enterprise sells there after a certain time and they are listed as used, is there a mileage claus maybe in our state (KY)? I dont believe there is any additional features on it besides what comes with the S from what I have asked, but what would be a good offering price to atleast get them to start playing? I cant get pricing on edmunds for new/used cars with mileage on them.
  • ronald711ronald711 Member Posts: 44
    I believe the car may have the value package in addition to the base price. Ron
  • sfgiantsfansfgiantsfan Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2006 Corolla S automatic with Extra Value Package #1, 6 Disc CD/Radio with Sirius, Side Air Bags, and floor and trunk mats. MSRP $18,400 bought for $16020 + TTL + $45 doc fee + $8.75 Tire Fee. Bought at Toyota Rancho Santa Margarita in Orange County, CA through their internet/fleet dept. Looked for quotes through internet from many dealers in Southern California, and got quotes for around invoice give or take $200. Toyota RSM gave me quote of $700 off invoice. No pressure to buy extended warranty or service plans. Didn't try to slip any dealer prep fees or ad fees into deal. Overall great experience with no hassle.
  • atlanta_savatlanta_sav Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if we might see any incentives for the 2006 Corolla (in the Southeast) in the Spring or Summer? Wouldn't the 2007 model year be coming out soon to motivate Toyota to offer incentives?

Still looking for the best possible deal on a Corolla CE base in Atlanta, but I can wait until June.
  • jiggersplatjiggersplat Member Posts: 1
    From Jerry's Toyota in Baltimore MD. Extremely pleasant to deal with.

2006 Corolla S (Manual)
    - Value Package
    - Moonroof
    - Side Airbags
    - Antilock Brakes
    - Floormats
    - All-Weather Package

$16,250 + ttr - rebates
  • emmettrose1962emmettrose1962 Member Posts: 6
    Nice job! I bought my 2006 LE auto, wheels, 6 disc changer, power moon roof, mud guards, mats, etc. for $17K flat plus tax. I regstered the car myself (they wanted $175 to do it for me). Don't get caught up in 'dealer invoice' price. It means nothing. It's NOT what the dealer is paying for that car! There are dealer holdbacks, incentives, etc. NO DEALER WILL SHOW YOU WHAT HE REALLY PAID. It's bad bussiness. I think I could have done better, but i was OK with my final price. These are popular cars sold by alot of dealerships. Don't be afraid to walk away! By the way, I'm in NY.
    I negotiated a deal three weeks ago for a Silver Toyota Corolla LE auto with side airbags, audio value package, and anti-lock brakes.

Took delivery yesterday. Got the following deal:
    16529.00 price w/ options
    280.00 trade
    269.00 doc fee

All said and done with taxes and tags it was 17069 OTD. I'm quite happy with the deal and really like my new car. My last car was a 1993 Mercury Topaz. It lasted a long time, and I hope my Corolla does the same!

If you are purchasing in the Triad NC area, I recommend Cox Toyota.
  • havieri23havieri23 Member Posts: 5
    Just got a corolla from Toyota dealer today. Got the Indigo (color I wanted) Corolla LE Auto 1)w/trunk&carpet mats 2)upgraded stereo

Msrp w/options $17,042

Price paid
    Corolla LE $14,990
    tags&docs $156
    tax (7%) $1049

what you guys think; good deal?
  • patyapatya Member Posts: 5
    We paid $14000+TTL in Maryland-jim coleman toyota.
    OTD 15040
    Options: Auto, cruise control, powel locks and mirrors, weather guard package, floor mats.
    I thought it was a great deal but if you look at internet delived price at fitzautomall.com in maryland, it is only a decent deal.
    Dealer Invoice is about $15400
    I forgot power windows in the earlier post.
  • havieri23havieri23 Member Posts: 5
    damn patya, where was you a day ago. oh wait you got a ce, i got the le
  • nivloc1nivloc1 Member Posts: 10
    Need suggestions/other experiences!!! I live in Michigan, the Toyota website that I'm directed to price a Corolla S is MI, OH, KY, TN. The options I want cannot be had according to the website. This is when I got a dealership involved. It appears the region that encompases IN, IL, WI does offer the options I'm looking for. They found several Corolla S but one in Chicago was in my color (Black). The options are:

Auto Trans.
    CK => All Weather Guard Package
    AB => ABS w/tire pressure Monitor
    MR => Moonroof w/supplemental Side Airbags
    VP => Value Package 1.

The dealership in MI stated the price was $19,486+ttl. The assumption is this includes the Dest($580). When I priced it through Edmunds, it came to MSRP $19,290, INV $17,377 and TMV of $18,216. I find the >19K to be nuts but at the same time, not sure what a good price would be. I'm thinking of offering $18,500 otd and it would be an all cash deal. Does this sound like a fair deal?? Too High? Too Low? Or am I the one whose nuts?? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.....
  • kennyg1kennyg1 Member Posts: 5
    My question has more to do with the "phantom" costs. I am looking at a LE base model with only cruise controle (plus 6 CD changer--package). I am supposed to get $100 over invoice.
    Invoice is 15,150, plus TTL, plus $400 for cruise/CD, plus $322, plus $161 for Finance something. I am paying cash.
    They tell me the $322 and $161 is on all sales. Is that correct? Please respond as we are buying this weekend.
    I would go to fitzautomall.com and select Maryland. Select the car with options you want. see the delivered internet price. If it's significantly lower, call them up. Make the deal over the phone and fly there. Buy the car and drive it back. It takes 7 hours to drive from frederick to detroit.
    The cost before taxes should be about 1000 below invoice.
    Anything above invoice is guaranteed rip off.
    In Houston they are giving 500 cashback on all 2006 Carollas and have been for months.
    I got an LE, with Cruise/6CD changer (package, $200) plus floor mats ($90) and Mud guards ($50) for only $16,800 drivout! That is after TTL and everything else. Sticker was 16,800 (included delivery charge). I got $1900 below sticker when you count the 500 cash back.

I had to order it and wait a week because I did not want one with undercoating, fabrick protector, etching, etc, etc--all the things that really add on to the sticker price.
  • akhanakhan Member Posts: 23
    Hi

I intend to go to the dealership tomorrow and am interested in an 06 LE with

50 State Emissions $0
    Carpet Mat Set (5 Pc)
    Carpet Floor Mats
    Rear Trunk Mat
    Audio Value Package Includes:
    Am/Fm/In-Dash Cd Changer W/6 Speakers And Cruise Control
    Anti-Lock Brake System With Tire Pressure
    Monitor
    Driver And Passenger Side And Curtain Airbags

I am thinking of offering 15,500 + TTL what do you think?

Can some one give me an idea of what I should expect to pay for this in Austin Texas?
    thanks
    I made response "1024", right before your question.
    That 15,500 and TTL sounds low to me.
    I think the Anti Lock brakes add a couple hundred or more.
    Plus side curtain airbags add a few hundred.
    I would think you'd have to offer at least $16,000. But just a guess on my part. You can go to edmunds.com and get the invoice amount.
  • nivloc1nivloc1 Member Posts: 10
    Patya: Funny you should mention the "fly" option. On 03/17, I went back to the dealership in MI and offered $18,500 otd. After the laughter died down, they offered to take $500 off the $19,486(+ttl). After I quit laughing, I mentioned I could probably fly somewhere, get the vehicle and still come out money ahead. Well, I checked out fitzautomall and they have a Corolla S with same options for $2k less. Assumption is I still have TTL. Add that and I'm in that $18.5k range again. The color is Indigo Blue which would be my 2nd choice after Black.

Thanks for you response. It's greatly appreciated.
    nivloc1, I brought a 2006 Toyota S that was priced around the same price as the one looking at around $19500 (MSRP). I don't have the paperwork in front of me so I can't give you the exact number but it was priced just under $19,500. Anyway, I brought the car at $300 under invoice, of course they added the $300 back on to the price so I brought the car at invoice $16837 + TTL. So $16837 was my out the door price. The car I brought is Phanthom Grey.
    Thanks all, does anyone know what I should offer for an auto 06 CE with the following:

50 State Emissions $0
    Speed Control $175
    The Extra Mile Option Package A $331
    Upgrade Package Includes: Power Windows
    And Door Locks
    $500
    Driver And Passenger Side And Curtain Airbags $655
    Keyless Entry $155

I am thinking 15,000+TTL?

any suggestions?
    thanks
    Nivloc,
    I am glad I could be of help. You could call the fitz and talk about Michigan registration. They might be able to do it. In MD TTL costs about 210, 99 is dealer fee an 5% taxes. You will pay 6% MI taxes.
    I used to live in bay city. When I bought my first toyota from spartan toyota in lansing, my friend bought it in MD for $2000 less. I think MI dealership culture is influenced by GM and FOrd where they give you some ridiculous MSRP and then there are about $5000+ discounts to be had. People who don't know the discounts end up paying higher.
    good luck :P
    I just walked out of the dealership with my last offer of 15,900 + TTL for the car.

The dealer came out and made me his counter offer of 16K.
    The prices include the $500 rebate being offered.

I refused.

Just FYI in case some one else has his eyes on a similar model.
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    Akhan:

Let me get this straight....you walked out of the dealership over $100?! In other words, you had no intention of buying; you just wanted to see how low they would go.

I'm curious to know what you would've done if he came down the additional $100.....
    No

I started the negotiations at 15,500 and went up to 15,900, at that point I had reached my limit.

I was dead serious, but my rule is never negotiate unless you are willing to walk away.

A week ago I bought a Sienna CE from them for 22,500 +TTL, so this time I was going to stick to my guns. I confess the numbers are purely a mental thing.
    Hi

The dealer called me back and I paid 17085.78 OTD.

It was 15900+TTL this includes the 500 rebate.

06 LE with

50 State Emissions $0
    Carpet Mat Set (5 Pc)
    Carpet Floor Mats
    Rear Trunk Mat
    Audio Value Package Includes:
    Am/Fm/In-Dash Cd Changer W/6 Speakers And Cruise Control
    Anti-Lock Brake System With Tire Pressure
    Monitor
    Driver And Passenger Side And Curtain Airbags

Thanks everyone.
  • brandondiazbrandondiaz Member Posts: 1
    Ok ive done alot of part research and invoice to msrp ratios....

I have this infomation..... Im giving the sales associate 3.5% above invoice, is that too much because look at the features i have? any suggestions on how i can present this, the dealer will not see this paper, this is for my understanding, i was going to go 300-400 less of the value if he didnt buy it id increment up....but let me know your opinions PLEASE! constructive criticism wanted! im a VERY careful buyer.....

--2006 Toyota Corolla S--

MSRP: $14,005-17,780 Base-Complex Terms: Base – Base Model
    Invoice: $12,954-16,089 Base-Complex Terms: Complex – Customized Levels

Invoice of Car with options: 17,410.00 (including shipping) MSRP 19,370.00

3.5% Dealer Appraisal Approx: 610.00 (Sales Associate Makes)

Automatic

***Extra Value Package #1 Invoice 810.00 MSRP 900.00

*Floor Mats (Front, Rear, Cargo)
    *Emission Equipment 50 State - No Charge Standard
    *Extra Value Package #1

*Enhanced Power Package
    -Keyless Remote Control Entry System
    -Speed Control
    -Power Windows
    *Color keyed Rear spoiler
    *Alloy Wheels (standard with value package #1)

**Moon Roof/Side Air Bags Pkg. Invoice 1,159.00 MSRP 1,400.00
    *Power Glass Moon Roof
    *Front Side Impact Air Bag Restraint
    *Front Air Bag Restraint (Included In Base)
    **Braking System Invoice 335.00 MSRP 390.00
    -Anti-Lock

**Speed Control Invoice 200.00 MSRP 250.00

***Exterior Color-Black Sand Pearl (No Charge)

***Interior Color-Charcoal, Dark (No Charge)

***Shipping/Handling Fees -Included- (No Charge)

***5 Year/60,000Mi Warranty- Standard with purchase (No Charge)

Invoice 17,409.00 MSRP: 19,367.00 Total Car (without Dealer appraisal on invoice price)

Appraisal at 3.5% above invoice Approximation Price without financing (Sticker Price, on the car)

18,020.00 <<<<<OUT THE DOOR NOT INCLUDING FINANCING OR DOWNPAYMENT Registration/Licensing not inlcuded, TAXES ARE INCLUDED! at a rate of 7.25%

Taxes/Licensing/Registration Fees: 1,580.00

18,020.00 + 1580.00 Registration = 19,600.00 + Financing Rate = Final Price of Vehicle

Divide by 60 Month Term Loan or 6 Years if possible.

Equals Total Price of vehicle paid monthly. 
  • tekongtekong Member Posts: 2
    hi i bought the same car toyota corolla S with extra value package on it ( alloy + spoiler ) with floor mats ( phanthom grey ) i got with $16348 + TTL and they conviced me to sell the extanded warryanty..took me about over 1 hurs trying to sell that warranty for $2000 + but at last i bought that platinum warranty 7 yr 100 k bumper to bumper no deductable for only $598...is that worth it ? and am i get the good price for that car??? thanks for the replys... :D
  • tekongtekong Member Posts: 2
    sorry i forgot the info about the price..i didnt take $500 cash back ..coz if i take i will have to pay 6.1% apr..if i take it it would go down to $15848 but i chose to get 4.9% from toyota finicing program..but finicing guy wants to sell the warranty so he gose down my apr to 4.5% and gave me $598 for extended warranty..i guess my deal was great...any comment please.
  • art22art22 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a new 2006 Corolla CE, automatic, Toyoguard, power windows and locks, CD, air, for $16,000 out the door. By the way, I was upside-down about $2,500 to $3,000 on my trade and owed over $12,000 on it. $16k includes everything such as the bogus $700 Florida dealer fee and the $500 rebate. I bought their car for $16k including all fees and such and they bought mine for the $12k+ bank payoff. After shopping around the Toyota dealership gave me the most for my trade.
    The deal went something like this:
    $16990 price of car
    -1700 discount or trade enhancement
    -500 rebate
    +700 dealer fee
    +500 tax difference & title misc fees
    -1000 down payment
    15000 left over

I reduced my montly payment $75 but increased my debt $4K plus interest. I figure since my trade was a gas hog SUV, I should save a significant amount of gas money.
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    $16K for a CE? I just threw up in my mouth. That's mid-level LE pricing when you include the Toyoguard....
  • art22art22 Member Posts: 4
    I suppose you missed the part when I wrote that I was upside down $2500 to $3000 on my trade which was absorbed into the price of the Corolla. So if you deduct that amount from the $16k, the price of the Corolla was actually around $13K to $13,500.
  • revelandreveland Member Posts: 2
    What is a good price for a Corolla CE with just auto trans as the only option? I live in southern Illinois and my dealer just quoted me 15,100 plus TTL which would put it about 16000 in this area. I offered a Chevy Cavalier in trade and he offered me 3100 for my 2001 LE Cavalier which left me owing him 12,900 diff. Any suggestions? Any help on the price I should be paying?
  • revelandreveland Member Posts: 2
    What is a good price for a CE 06 with the only option being auto transmission? My dealer wants 15,100 plus TTL in southern Illinois? I think he is way off. Any help out there for a novice?
  • magdtmagdt Member Posts: 3
    I'm also curious what a good price for a 2006 CE with no options but auto. I was shopping around this weekend and best price I could find was 14,400 + TTL. Southern NH.
  • evelinaevelina Member Posts: 2
    I got a quote for a new Corolla LE-$14900+TTL. I leave in Chicago, the dealership is located in Joliet, IL.
  • pondeponde Member Posts: 2
    This ia a base automatic CE model.
    Power steering, power mirror, AM/FM/CD, A/C, floor mats. No power windows, no powder doors, no keyless entry.
    $11,777 before tax, with tax, documentation fee, liscen fee... total OTD price: $12,957

I need a cheap and reliable car to commute. As for driving experience, it is not as smooth as my 2000 CAMRY(65k mileage), more bumpy on freeway. Power is adequate if you don't mind driving below 75mph. Room is not too small. The roof is actually taller than my 2000 CAMRY.

I'm in Sothern CA, bought it at Power Toyota.
This discussion has been closed.