Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix Problems

tarby07tarby07 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Pontiac
I have a 1999 Grand Prix GT that gets very wet on the passenger side front floor when it rains or I go through a car wash. I am told there is a holding tank or something which has a drain hose that empties under the car, and this may be clogged. I can't find it. Any ideas?
Also, possibly related, my blower suddenly stopped working yesterday. I found a blown 30 amp fuse marked HVAC HI that was blown. When I replaced it and got back my blower high speed only. I checked the other fuses marked HVAC, but none are blown. All speeds went out at once. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Have seen some posts in the past that talk about a possible cause. The drain cloggs on the evaporator case allowing it to fill with water and spill over into the passenger side of the car. You might be able to put your hand in by openning the glove box. The drain is in the engine compartment fire wall on the passenger side about half way down, I think I recall reading. Poke something into the end and the water should come out. Good luck, and post back.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    I have heard of this happening but never that bad. Out of curiosity do you have a moon/sun roof? If you have a moon/sun roof and it only happens when it rains you have a clogged, pinched or cracked drain tube. I remember reading in another thread that there was a problem with this car and the sunroof drains and causing electrical problems.

Blower, you can have a bad dash switch or a bad relay under the hood.

Best bet to get it figured out right and fast is a trip to the dealer. Is the car still under warranty? If so get it there ASAP.

Let us know what you find out.
    And I found a few things.

This is for Grand Am, but sounds like your problem.
    WATERLEAK - FRONT PASSENGER FLOOR (RESEAL PLENUM/COWL #83-11-15
    SUBJECT: WATERLEAK - FRONT PASSENGER FLOOR (RESEAL PLENUM/COWL WATER DEFLECTOR)

MODELS: 1997-98 CHEVROLET MALIBU 1997-98 OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS 1999 PONTIAC GRAND AM

BUILT PRIOR TO THE FOLLOWING VIN BREAKPOINTS:

VIN VIN MODEL LOCATION BREAKPOINT DATE ========= ====================== ========== =======

MALIBU OKLAHOMA CITY PLANT 6 W6229091 4/16/98 WILMINGTON PLANT Y WY178047 4/16/98

CUTLASS OKLAHOMA CITY PLANT 6 W6339883 4/16/98

GRAND AM LANSING PLANT M XM726868 4/20/98 LANSING PLANT C XC503367 4/20/98
    CONDITION:

SOME CUSTOMERS MAY COMMENT ON THE PASSENGER FRONT FLOOR CARPET BEING WET OR WATER LEAKING FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE INSTRUMENT PANEL AND/OR HVAC MODULE.
    CAUSE:

CONDITION MAY BE DUE TO WATER LEAKING INTO THE HVAC MODULE THROUGH THE SEALER BETWEEN THE WATER DEFLECTOR AND THE BOTTOM OF THE PLENUM/COWL.
    CORRECTION:

RESEAL THE WATER DEFLECTOR TO THE PLENUM. THE PRODUCTS LISTED IN THIS BULLETIN ARE TAKEN FROM THE TECHNICIANS HANDOUT OF "ADHESIVES, SEALERS AND RELATED ITEMS", JULY 1995 REVISION (ITEM #22009.01-3). FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURERS DIRECTIONS OF EACH PRODUCT FOR APPLICATION AND DRYING TIMES.
    PROCEDURE:

1. REMOVE AIR INLET GRILLE, FOLLOWING THE PROCEDURE IN THE SERVICE MANUAL.

2. REMOVE ANY EXCESS FOAM SEALER THAT MAY HAVE OOZED OUT FROM THE PERIMETER OF THE WATER DEFLECTOR AND CLEAN AREA.

3. APPLY ONE OF THE PUMPABLE SEALERS, LISTED LATER IN THIS BULLETIN, TO THE PERIMETER OF THE DEFLECTOR. A FLAT BLADED TOOL OR BRUSH WILL HAVE TO BE USED TO APPLY SEALER TO THE AREA UNDER THE WINDSHIELD.

4. REINSTALL AIR INLET GRILLE, FOLLOWING THE PROCEDURE IN THE SERVICE MANUAL.

5. CHECK CARPET FOR WETNESS OR WICKING OF WATER TO OTHER COMPONENTS AND REPAIR/DRY AS REQUIRED.

PUMPABLE SEAM SEALERS OR EQUIVALENT:

- 3M(R) #08360 OR 61 ULTRA PRO SEAM SEALER - DOMINION SURE SEAL(R) #9005 HIGH TECH SEAM SEALER - KENT(R) #10095, 10130, 10567 HIGH TECH SEAM SEALER

This is for Grand Prix, but if it happens when it rains then I would look elsewhere.

Carpet Wet on Passenger Side of Vehicle (Clean Evaporator Case Drain, If Plugged) #00-01-38-012
    Carpet Wet On Passenger Side of Vehicle (Clean Evaporator Case Drain, If Plugged)

1999-2000 Buick Century, Regal

1999-2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

2000 Chevrolet Impala

1999-2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue

1999-2000 Pontiac Grand Prix
    Condition

Some customers may comment that the carpet on the front passenger side is wet.
    Cause

This may be caused by foreign material plugging the evaporator case drain.
    Correction

Inspect the evaporator case drain for plugging.

1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
    2. Remove the rubber elbow from the evaporator case drain tube by pulling the elbow straight off.
    3. Insert a 9 mm (11/32 in) drill bit, or any other similar-type instrument, into the evaporator case drain to clean out the material that is blocking the drain. (The distance to the other side of the evaporator case is 130 mm (5 in)).
    4. Re-install the evaporator case drain rubber elbow. A small amount of silicone spray on the inside of the rubber tube will allow it to be slipped into place very easily. Be sure that the rubber elbow drain hole is open.

If the evaporator case drain was not plugged, a water leak test will need to be performed using normal water testing procedures.

If no external water leak was found and the vehicle returns for the same type concern, the evaporator case will have to be removed from the vehicle and the foreign material removed from the evaporator case.
    Parts Information

No parts are required to perform this procedure.

If the rubber elbow is missing from the vehicle, install a new elbow. The addition of this rubber elbow will result in road and wind noise reduction at highway speeds.
  • aufan89aufan89 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Grand Prix GTP that has been having strange problems lately. On two occasions the car would not start, it would just click a time or two when turning the ignition, but then a few minutes later, it would start. Both times this happened, the clock reset itself to 1:00. Sometimes when starting the car there is a hesitation before it turns over. Last week while pulling out of a parking lot, the radio and heater shut off and then came back on, and the clock was reset to 1:00. This morning, I heard a clicking noise under the hood when I tried to lock the car with the remote. I tried the door to see if it locked (it wasn't), and the horn started. Anybody ever have problems like this?
    Thanks in advance for your help....
    It sound like either a loose or corroded battery terminal. Remove them clean them and re install them. Also with the car being a '98 model, if you have not replaced the original battery it might be getting close to time. Usually the original one only lasts 3-4 years. If it has been replaced and you didn't do it, definitely check those terminals. The wrench or socket size is 5/16", please don't use vise grips or pliers, get the right tool!
This discussion has been closed.