Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• 1matrix1matrix Member Posts: 47
    Thanks for your reply. Finally heard from Toyota U.S., and their answer was the same. I'd test driven the XR a couple of times, but never bothered looking for those lights. It's good to know that they're there.
  • coakleysdcoakleysd Member Posts: 32
    Check out www.matrixvibe.net.
    Great resource for matrix/vibe owners.
  • bdrobinsonbdrobinson Member Posts: 2
    I test drove an XRS 6 speed at a Pennsylvania dealer and it had brushed aluminum pedals (just like the concept car and as mentioned in some reviews I've read). Every car I test drove at New Jersey dealerships had plain rubber pedals. The XRS 6 speed I bought (in NJ) has plain rubber pedals. The dealer says he doesn't know anything about the pedals. I know the PA dealer did not list these as an added accessory.

Anybody have these special pedals from the factory?
  • just_some_guyjust_some_guy Member Posts: 52
    I could have sworn that every Matrix I've sat in at a dealership had brushed aluminum pedals and not rubber. I've been in two XRSs, and probably four or five XRs.
  • southpaw1southpaw1 Member Posts: 34
    My XRS doesn't have aluminum pedals. It is not standard. Just as well because they can be slippery, esp. when wet.
  • leafguy2727leafguy2727 Member Posts: 83
    So far to take I have few complaints.

Tup, I have a noise too when opening the truck after a while I think it's the round peice of rubber that goes into the hole. It simply fits too well and sticks when I first open up.

Radio, Does anyone's radio make a weird sound when braking while listening to a CD?? I read someone else's post about a scratching sound. My does the same but only when braking hard, is this an anti-skip feature?

Rotten Egg smell. I found early on in the life of my XR, now 4500 km's, that I'd park, get out and get the rotten egg smell. I haven't noticed it in a while, what exactly causes this and has anyone else had similar?
  • dogtrainerdogtrainer Member Posts: 96
    The CD player in my XR is really good. Not as good as my home system, but I don't expect any car stereo to sound like a decent home system. I have no noises at all, although I haven't had to panic stop and do not drive aggressively enough to need hard braking for turns. I would have the dealer check it out.

I too had the rotten egg smell when the car was very new (< 700 miles). Others here have stated that it is the new catalytic converter. I would give it 1,000 miles or so, and if it's still a problem, have it checked.

So far, not even one "new car" defect. You gotta love Toyota quality control!
  • potroastpotroast Member Posts: 13
    What does LOL mean ?
    As far as power in my experience Base 5 sp. plenty. easily creeps over 100 klics. on hyway.Have 2 watch it don't need radar test monitored by RCMP.
    Anyone have any ideas on mat for cargo area ?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    LOL is computerese for "Laughing Out Loud". :-)

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
    It's not even panic breaking it's really any breaking at this point. When I go for my oil change I'll get them to check it out. Thanks!!!
  • matrixxrsmatrixxrs Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone has clicking sound from the driver side dashboard. The dealer stated it was the Washer problem and they replaced but the sound came back after second day. Also the sound only comes on 2nd gear and up and if I hit minor minor minor bumps.

thinks
  • bdrobinsonbdrobinson Member Posts: 2
    Nope. Haven't had these problems. I was getting a slight burned smell after over-reving when starting out up hill (hope I haven't hurt the clutch too much while I got used to the car).

The 6 disc CD player works great for me. I am hearing a noise now under the driver's side dashboard during drives on uneven roads. But I think it's plastic on plastic rubbing of the instrument pod in its dashboard mounting. I have to get it looked at.

1700 miles on and no other problems besides the squeak and the rear washer nozzle not working (it comes out in a gurgling stream instead of a spray).
    I have just the single CD player so it may just affect that model?

Thx
  • potroastpotroast Member Posts: 13
    While driving home a few weeks back I heard a noise when I hit a speed bump or pothole coming from pasenger side dash ,like something loose. turned out to be sunvisor not clipped in after use .it bounced against clamp and sound traveled down to dash where it apeared to come from.Took couple days to solve but all is well.
  • indigoinkindigoink Member Posts: 2
    I have a '01 Corolla and have about 26,000 miles. The other day while I was driving to work, the malfunction indicator light came on. I took it to the dealer and the outcome was that I needed a new charcoal canister. It was still under warranty. Just wondering if anyone else had this problem. Any thoughts or suggestions? I would like to know if this is going to be a constant problem in the future. Thank you!
    Mine also does not spray. It just drops a stream down the center of the glass. I seem to be getting adequate coverage though. The rear washer on every Toyota I've ever been in works the same. How about the rest of you? Maybe it's a Canadian vs. US thing?
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    The best way to prevent this is to avoid overfilling the gas tank. Don't top it off, but if you do, not too much.
  • cheapo1cheapo1 Member Posts: 3
    does anyone know where i can get a rear view mirror for the driver side. any website or store aroung san francisco will be appricated. thanks
    www.taprecycling.com (for used Toyota parts)
  • xr_matrixxr_matrix Member Posts: 96
    No...it is a general thing, the rear washer on the XRS I picked up yesterday does not spray either...it simply streams water in one line.
  • qualia8qualia8 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Prizm (Corolla that depreciates like a Chevy) is pulling left too, like someone else here... Also used to have a Metro that went straight, although otherwise there is no comparison between these cars that favors the pitiful Metro.

I just got new tires (after 40K on originals) and had alignment double-checked. Still, at 60+ mph especially when accelerating, the car pulls left. It'll take me around a bend on the highway... a major pain.

It's almost like the front right wheel is getting a disproportionate amount of power from the engine. Any ideas?

Also, about high speeds, with my 5-speed manual, I've been up to 95 while pretty stable on the highway. 80 is rock solid.
  • themanzthemanz Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Corolla S model and have already put on 20K. My problem is that ever since the first 5K tire rotation, I been having a very rough and unstable ride. I have a feeling the tire company has been rotating the tires in an X-pattern rather than what the manual recommends and that is front to back & back to front only. After spending 4 hours a day driving and tired of the rough ride I had the tires replaced and still have the same problem. Wheels are not bent and I had the front end lined up. Any suggestions?
  • jsleesijsleesi Member Posts: 33
    Does any one know where is the feul filter
    located in engin compartment?

Your help is appreciated.

jsleesi
    jsleesi: try underneath the air box (you need to unbolt the airbox), typical location for toyota

themanz: the X-pattern is a bit better, than the front & back method (which is easier to do). Just check each tire carefully for even wear.
  • inkiinki Member Posts: 15
    I'm on my 3rd tank of gas and my mileage has been getting steadily worse: 1st tank=25 MPG; 2nd tank =21 MPG; 3rd tank=18 MPG.

My car is the base with auto, and I drive in heavy Atlanta traffic, A/C on most of the time because it's already hot here. Also, I'm still in the breakin period. BUT I'm still concerned about the MPGs. How are your Matrices doing for fuel efficiency?
    8u6hfd

Thanks alot for the information, however I have one more question.

Where is the air box located at? Are you referring to the air cleaner casing?

Your help is appreciated

jsleesi
    air cleaner casing

I call it the air boxYou're be needing some flare nut wrenches also (can't remember what sizes)
    8u6hfd

Thanks million for your information, now I am getting little bit smarter.

God bless you

jsleesi
    Inki:

That shouldn't be happening. I haven't used the A/C much because it's not that hot here yet, but even the combination of traffic and A/C shouldn't drive mileage down to 18, IMHO. I'd suggest a trip to the dealer.
    I have owned a couple of Toyotas, and all of them had/have gas mileage equal to or greater than the EPA estimates. It does depend on how you drive the car, but 18 MPG is probably close to just 50% of what you should be able to get.

What method are you using to figure out MPG?
  • matrixgirl2matrixgirl2 Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up my matrix last week and I did notice the rotten egg smell coming through the vents. Thought I was crazy.
    Also have a problem with condensation in the headlight, they have to replace the whole unit.
    Anyone else have this problem?
  • hwaithwait Member Posts: 1
    In test driving the Matrix XR, I noticed a loud vibration in the interior of the vehicle coming at high revs during acceleration esp. during startup from 0 mph. My partner says there was vibration felt esp from the passenger seat. Question, 1) does anyone agree, or is this an exception in my test-drive vehicle; 2) has anyone compared the XRS 180 hp engine against the XR 130 hp engine for this problem?

PS My partner asks: is there anyone with a Matrix at 1000 miles + still experiencing RESS (rotten egg smell syndrome)? Or, has anyone actually received any help with this from their Toyota Dealer. We keep seeing alot of complaints about lousy service.
    Thanks.
  • matthewemmatthewem Member Posts: 2
    I have never experienced the RESS, but I can say with out reservation that the service I have received is not the typical Toyota service. I purchased an XR in Lunar Mist, the same color as my Pre Runner which wears very well in the Phoenix sun. After returning home I was looking at all the details on the car and noticed that on the drivers side door the tape on the window frame had a bubble just above the door itself. Took it to the dealer and they told me several different stories, needless to say it has been three weeks on back order and still no satisfaction. Also in looking at what they will have to do to repair the problem I am worried that they can't do it with out causing more damage. Very disappointed that toyota would let this slip through final inspection. Note: I looked at all the Matrix's they had on the lot and everyone had the same defect to some extent.
    I had a mild RES from outside the car when the engine was very new. Suspect it was something in the catalytic converter relating to being new. It went away by 500 miles.
    I have not experienced the vibration in my XR. After reading a report of the door trim tape bubbling here, I inspected mine very carefully, and no bubbles. I'm happy to report that I have not had a single problem with my car!
    Still got it, I find I have it most when first putting on the heat in the morning. I have just over 7000km on mine so it will be going into the dealership soon for an oil change, I'll report back what they say.
  • jciprianojcipriano Member Posts: 4
    I have a Matrix XR...
    I wish I was on this site in the last three weeks, because I could have also contributed to the cd player and rotten egg complaints.
    I have had the player replaced already, it made scratching noises when braking. The new one does do the scratching a little bit when braking as well. That is Delco stereos for you! I called the dealership about the rotten egg smell, he said that it should go away over time.
    The gas mileage, has gotten a bit worse from the car's first or second tank. Is that normal? I'm thinking it could be the way it is driven, or heat? I never had the A/C on.
    I think I will be calling Toyota Canada over the CD player...since there are more complaints as well, I'll mention this site. My sister also bought a matrix, and she has these same rotten smells, interesting.
  • kaunukaunu Member Posts: 1
    What are we going to do with that Elbow killer between the front seats? It is supposed to be an arm rest ... but it is hard as a rock?

Has anybody figured how to make it softer or found a padded replacement?
  • ski46ski46 Member Posts: 24
    Ihave a 2003 LE with automatic trans and have gotten 36 mpg on a long trip. I regularly get 33-34 in my mostly highway driving and about 30 around town. This car has never had the rotten egg smell that everyone else seems to have, I guess I'm lucky!
    Hi 8u6hfd,

After your information, I looked under the air filter, there was no fuel filter can be found.

I called local auto parts store, like NAPA, GI Joe and Schucks. They all told me none listed
    in their parts book.

I called local dealer, they told me that, the fuel filter is in fuel tank and no need to
    change, it is permanent.

What do you think?

jsleesi
  • lfanlfan Member Posts: 61
    I own a '03 Corolla S (~2000th built)

I had dash rattle/buzz above the instrument panel since the first few weeks of ownership. Finally took it in couple weeks ago and the dealer service dept installed foam to silence the rattle. What a relief as it was beginning to deteriorate and sounds so out of place in a relatively quiet car otherwise. This is the second rattle fixed on the car with the first being a problem in the rear portion of the headliner.

I forgot to ask the service dept about the oily smell that comes out of the vents when the AC is on in recirculating mode. Anyone else with this problem? Or is this a normal occurrence on new Toyotas?
    Well, there is a permanent fuel filter in the gas tank.

There should be a fuel filter somewhere in the engine compartment, which needs periodic replacement.

Try calling some local shops, because there should be a fuel filter in the engine compartment.
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    My dealer told me i have a timing chain when its actually belt, and didnt have to change it anytime soon. i doubt they would have foot the bill when i took their advice and my belt snapped and crushed a piston or two.
  • tom3ktom3k Member Posts: 91
    I actually found the center console to be the least-obstructive of the sport wagons I looked at. My right hand is usually on the stick or the wheel, so I don't need it as an arm rest, I just want it out of the way. Some of the others interfered with working the handbrake and even the shifter.

On the drive home from the dealer, I was pushing a button on the stereo (not sure which one - I was watching the road, but I was looking for the EQ button) and for a second, my dashboard went dark! I hadn't taken my finger off the button, so I pushed it again and they came back on. I have not been able to reproduce it since. Is there actually a button that kills the dashboard lights, or should I have this looked at?
  • wolfgar112wolfgar112 Member Posts: 5
    I've got it as well. anyone found out about this yet?

it seems to have lessened over the past couple of weeks, but still would like to know what is causing it.

only other problem i'm noticing so far is slightly lower mileage than i was expecting, averaged 27 on my first tank 28 on the second. maybe that'll improve over time, so i haven't brought it up with the dealer yet. no rattles so far... ~700 miles
    Any Matrix owners out there have the optional DVD Nav System? How well does it work for you?

I just read a very critical review of the Navigation System found on the Matrix (see http://www.thecarplace.com/agtrix.htm). I opted for the Nav System when I ordered my car (a $1,890 option), but now I am having second thoughts.

I hven't had that happen, and I suspect that it wasn't designed to do that. If it happens again, I'd visit the dealer post haste!
  • tom3ktom3k Member Posts: 91
    Still hasn't happened again, but I'll keep an eye on it. On the other hand, I haven't messed with the stereo while driving again, either.

(We meet again, dogtrainer! ;-))
  • epskiepski Member Posts: 5
    Re: The dashboard lights - Depends on the button, but the dimmer wheel over on the left is the only switch I know of that can turn off the dash lights.

Re: DVD Nav system. I've found it to be very accurate, and pretty cool. I started using it last night after calibrating it, and it was very accurate. As I turned into my driveway coming home last night, the navigator told me (I had voice-nav on) I had reached my destination, so that's pretty accurate!