Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• 1matrix1matrix Member Posts: 47
    Matrix XR mileage should at least be in the high twenties, even during break-in. I'd have the dealer check it out.
    Also, A/C is weaker when engine is idling, but should cool down well when in higher RPMs.
    Steering on the Matrix is toward the heavy side, so that may give the impression that the turning radius is bigger than it should be.
    Engine RPM during start-up should stay less than 2000 RPM when engine is cold, much less when it's warm (since it's Summer right now). This applies to Corolla engines as well (same as Matrix).

1matrix
    '03 Matrix XR 4WD
  • iwphilliwphill Member Posts: 48
    I have a black Matrix in NC, and A/C is a must, but I would agree that the A/C in this car has a hard time keeping the car cool, but only IF you have the vents open to the outside. Try turning it to recirculate - it will cool MUCH faster and keep it that way.

Gas mileage in the teens? Yeah, I would DEFINITELY get that checked out. Even with the A/C on all the time (just about all summer long), the lowest mileage I ever recorded was 24.5 mpg, and I have an automatic trans. Take it back in for service, no way 12/15 is acceptable (my friend's F350 gets better gas mileage than that!)
  • bfg9kbfg9k Member Posts: 1
    "i've heard this before about black colored cars somehow attracts heat more than other colors! i find this strange and i was just wondering if there is any truth to this at all. i've heard about the same thing with wearing black colored shirts! :) "

Yes, black will be hotter - it's black because it's absorbing all of the colors of light. Black pigments will typically absorb into the infrared too, adding to the heat. Wear a white T in the sun for a while and trade it for a black one to see for yourself. A white/silver car with a light colored interior will stay much cooler than a black/black one will...
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Yes, it is normal for the '03 1.8 to jump to 2300 rpm or so at cold start; it will settle quickly as it warms. Once warm it will be the usual 750-800 or so. This is designed to get the cat as warm as possible as soon as possible to keep the ULEV emissions rating...
  • cjohn5cjohn5 Member Posts: 4
    Under routine driving conditions, good service record, no prior service problem, my wife and I experienced complete engine failure at 62,344 miles. Piston/Rod #4 failed/broke and created three large holes in the bottom block of the engine. Toyota Service Department at Stone Mountain Toyota in Stone Mountain GA refused to cover costs associated with repair despite the fact that we were only 2,000 miles over warranty. I refused service charges of between $6,000 and $2,500 and picked my car up with a flat bed trailer. I have replaced the engine myself with the help of a friend and I continue to pursue reimbursement from Toyota. Toyota national, regional, and local have all refused to consider my case despite the premature death of my engine caused by an obvious unspecified manufacturers defect.

With Toyota’s current problems with Engine Sludge going back 8 years, I believe that Toyota vehicles are about to see a massive increase in engine failures. Our Corolla is not specifically included in the company’s Engine Sludge alert (Quasi Recall) but I wonder if it could be very soon.

Buyer BEWARE! Toyota will not help you when their famous high quality engines fail!
    Under routine driving conditions, good service record, no prior service problem, my wife and I experienced complete engine failure at 62,344 miles. Piston/Rod #4 failed/broke and created three large holes in the bottom block of the engine. Toyota Service Department at Stone Mountain Toyota in Stone Mountain GA refused to cover costs associated with repair despite the fact that we were only 2,000 miles over warranty. I refused service charges of between $6,000 and $2,500 and picked my car up with a flat bed trailer. I have replaced the engine myself with the help of a friend and I continue to pursue reimbursement from Toyota. Toyota national, regional, and local have all refused to consider my case despite the premature death of my engine caused by an obvious unspecified manufacturers defect.

With Toyota’s current problems with Engine Sludge going back 8 years, I believe that Toyota vehicles are about to see a massive increase in engine failures. Our Corolla is not specifically included in the company’s Engine Sludge alert (Quasi Recall) but I wonder if it could be very soon.

Buyer BEWARE! Toyota will not help you when their famous high quality engines fail!
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    what year model is your Corolla? At what mileage intervals did you change the oil?
  • 1matrix1matrix Member Posts: 47
    While it appears a few people have had problems with their Toyota engines, I would have to say, from experience, that the great majority of Toyota engines work reliably well. I have had past experiece with half a dozen Toyota vehicle models before (most with over 100,000 miles), and none had the engine problems that you speak of.

1matrix
    '03 Matrix XR 4WD
  • toyotapain2003toyotapain2003 Member Posts: 4
    We recently purchased a "new" 2003 Toyota Corolla LE from a dealership in Indianapolis(Northside)( They know who they are) Not only was this car delivered to us in "suspicious" condition, which included a ding, dirt, stains and over 300 miles , it was explained to us by the "salesman" , that the average Toyota that is delivered? (HAHA)!! has on the average 4 flaws on the car. What is this Yugoville? Has Toyota quality sunk lower than a slithering salesman? involved here or is it really gotten this bad? AKA GM Ville . We have bought 3 other "new Toyotas" over a long period of time and have never had this kind of problem at all. Customer Service at least at this dealership takes on a "I LOVE ME"attitude in referring to the salesmen and could not care less about delivering on promises to their customers. They back pedal faster than a cornerback when confronted with a problem. They care more about their survey grades and their bank accounts... I hope not all Toyota owners have experienced these kind of headaches.

P.S Overall the Corolla is a nice car, but not cracked up to be the "super car" that the dealerships claim it is.. We live in the Midwest and this car "DOES blow you all over the flat interstate roads contrary to what they want you to believe. A good car but not great....

Fed up in Indianapolis
  • nikolaikinnikolaikin Member Posts: 17
    I was aware about rattle noises on Corolla. I was listening hard when I test drove my car. Also I insisted on Japanese built one. Today is my second day on this car and I heard noise coming from CD player area. Noise happens only then I'm driving on bumpy roads. I will wait for a week before taking it back to dealler.
  • jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    just a question, have you posted the same message somewhere else on edmunds? sienna boards maybe? just wondering coz your post looks really familar.

anyways, you were over by 2,000 miles on the warranty so the dealer or toyota have every right to refuse to cover all the charges. you're not 2 miles over, you're 2,000 miles over. put yourself in their shoes and i don't think you would be covering the charges as well.

our family members have owned 17 toyota vehicles for the past 19 yrs. and none had engine problems or any major problems.
    did some calculations tonight after gas fill-up, i get approx. 13.25kms./per litre.

this sound about right to those of you with 03' corolla's?
    ...mine does the same thing, though I've chosen to ignore it because it only happens on the worst roads imaginable. Frankly, this problem, or something like it, has been present on every Toyota or Honda I've owned, and I've had lots of both. There needs to be a tighter mounting system for the radio/CD insert - I can put finger pressure on the upper left area of the CD insert and the noise goes away.
  • saturnfansaturnfan Member Posts: 40
    Hi,

Have a 2003 Corolla CE bought new in May.

Noticed that the black rubber door seals (the ones on the car body not the door) had both split at a point slightly above the door lock striker in the doorframe.

Driver side split clean through from too much squeezing. Passenger side showed a line where it will split soon.

Is this a design bug? Dealer is changing both gaskets this week, but I wonder if it will happen again unless parts are redesigned.

Service advisor said he'd not seen this before.

Thanks
  • svec7186svec7186 Member Posts: 56
    i have a 99 corolla auto.

my auto trans shift knob light is out. i can't see at night if i'm in D, N, R, ... is this a bulb or fuse issue. i was told that a fuse controls more then just one light.

any ideas?

thanks
  • mpynempyne Member Posts: 120
    i also have a 2003 japan built corolla with the same problem when going over bumps. also i notice when i put my car in reverse and turn my wheel to the right it clicks 1 time. im almost positive it has nothing to do with the brakes setting(thats make a different sounds that im aware of. anyone have this same problem?

jrct9454 how long have you had your corolla? do you have problems with rock chips? it seems like my paint is stronger than my canada built 2002 corolla. i have a couple but they are really tiny compared to some of the ones i got when i had the 2002

thanks
    thanks
    I had the same click sound on my 2000 Maxima. I think it comes from power steering. I leased it so I didn't try to fix it. I want to put cassette player at the dealership and will ask them to fix rattle noise at the same time. Did anyone put cassette player in 2003 Corolla?
    Thanks.
    ...and now has just short of 5000 miles. We have our share of front-end nicks from rocks and debris, but certainly no more than usual, and perhaps a bit less. The touch-up "pen" is very good at working these blems, much better than the brush/bottle. It takes some practice to get it right, and you have to shake the bejeezus out of it to get the color right, but I am pleased with the results.

Ours is Lunar Mist from NUMMI, made first week of March. Very happy with the car overall.
  • mpynempyne Member Posts: 120
    where can you find them?
    most likely, the bulb is busted. if every other light inside works then it's the bulb. if you have something else that dont work, then it could be the fuse.

you have to remove the cover to get at the bulb
    The dealer sells both the pen and the brush/bottle; I bought both, but the pen has worked so well that I have yet to use the bottle. As I said, to work well, you need a bit of practice [on some other painted metal surface], since it is easy to apply too much if you're not careful, but I've gotten pretty good at it. Good color match, too, once it dries.

Understand, there are also professionals out there that the dealers hire for working on the used car lot; if you have some particularly challenging spots on the front of the car, ask the dealer for a reference and hire a pro.
  • svec7186svec7186 Member Posts: 56
    are there instructions to replace auto trans bulb?

picture instructions would be great on the web if possible.

thanks
    This is written in response to posting number 653. This is also a continuation of my original posting at 652.

Our Toyota is a 1999 and we changed our oil every 4,000 miles. We have all of the documentation to back this up. Still, when the engine failed at 62,000 miles, as described in my previous posting, Toyota has refused to even consider our case. I will never purchase a Toyota vehicle again and I will recommend to all others to never purchase a Toyota. This is a company who stakes its reputation on a quality vehicle and top notch service. We have seen no evidence of either facts. The low quality aluminum block engines that they are now placing in their vehicles along with all of the new evidence of oil sludge caused by faulty engine design have convinced me that within the past few years Toyota has begun to manufacture low quality vehicles that will in the near future begin to fail at much higher rates. The only reason they are not issuing national manufacturers recalls related to the engine sludge problem is because they would have to recall the entire engine which is too expensive. Toyota's only option is to duck, hide, and blame the customer. Read the current press and you will see that I am right. Good luck to all of you fellow Toyota owners. The era of Toyota's lasting forever is over!
  • mikegold_1966mikegold_1966 Member Posts: 138
    I bought a new 1996 Toyota Corolla for my daughter when she graduated from high school and went on to college 400 miles away. Oil changes have been done every 3K and tires rotated every 5K. All Toyota maintenance has been done by the book at both the selling dealer and the dealer in Columbus, Ohio.

She has over 71K on the odometer and the only thing that needed to be changed were the Goodyear tires. She has Michelin X-Ones on the vehicle and the ride has improved a lot.

There are no sludge problem, leaks or rattles. The paint finish on the car still looks like new. (Maybe it is the Zaino I put on it when she is home for the summer and holidays.

I will tell you that the Corolla has been more stellar as compared to my Honda Accord.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Has been a great car also. There was a TSB about something in the front end which the dealer fixed and besides oil changes at 4k miles and tire rotations at the same time the oil is changed, flawless car. My teenage girls are driving it now also and they think it's easy to drive. Plan to keep this puppy a long time!

The Sandman :-)
  • boilermanboilerman Member Posts: 35
    I recently purchased a 2003 Corolla LE and it has 900 miles on it. I have found in letting go of the steering wheel , it will go to the left or to the right. I also have developed the infamous "rattle" problem from the dashboard. Has any one else had these problems, and if so,have they been fixed. The car has the Goodyear Integrity tires on it which I have heard does not make the car handle well. Other owners have had success with switching to other tires. Is this true?? Any help would be appreciated!!!
    For starters, dartiness is probably attributable to wheel alignment. A good 4-wheel alignment on state-of-the-art equipment would be a good investment.

Secondly, the only thing to recommend the Goodyears is their low rolling resistance. We replaced ours at 3200 miles [we now have 4800] with Michelin X-Ones. They stick better, track better, are a bit quieter, are vastly more secure when it's wet, and ride about the same. And with regular rotations, should last 70-80k miles.

There are a number of possible reasons for the dash noises - here you need to get to a dealer and start them working on the problem. If you track back a couple hundred posts in this board, you'll read some possible sources and solutions for some of the noises.

Our car has not had any significant noises - a NUMMI car made in early March. My perception is that the Canadian-built Corollas may have more of this syndrome than the NUMMI cars, but I could be wrong. In any case, get your dealer to do his job....
  • vetteryanvetteryan Member Posts: 21
    If you were a company would you perform work on vehicles for free if they were out of warranty, I suspect the answer is no. No car company in the world would replace a cars engine for free after the warranty is expired. I sympathize with you and would also be very upset myself. Honda's warranty is only 36,000 miles (among many others). How would you like to have a Honda throw a rod at only 38,000 miles? The warranty has to stop somewhere and for Toyota, they decided 60,000 miles.

Ryan
  • tja2tja2 Member Posts: 5
    I have an 03 Corolla CE built in Cambridge. I was opening the CD Storage Container (directly below the ventilation controls)when the bottom left hinge popped out. The dealership knew of the problem and revealed they had ten other units on order. Their opinion was that the clip holding the folding door was at fault...even speculated that a redesign might be necessary. This was a bit disappointing but I guess its part of owning a first year model. The cars been great otherwise!
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    How to make your Corolla better from any year?

Buy Yokahama tires!

My two has had Yokahama tires since 96.
  • corolla_grlcorolla_grl Member Posts: 17
    There is a recall on some S and LE 2003 corolla models that were made between 4-24 and 9-5-02. If you have firestone tires please log onto toyota.com and there is info on the home page. They give the DOT codes to look for on your tires and what to do.
  • corolla_grlcorolla_grl Member Posts: 17
    I got 358 miles on my first tank of gas. That was both city and highway driving. Pretty good I think....especially since I only got 200-232 miles on my 5 speed honda. I know that the total miles I get on a full tank will only get better as I use the car and get all the part moving and grooving. (2003 corolla s automatic)

The local newspapers here have been saying that after the first 500-1000 miles ppl have been getting 40 mp gallon. Really good!!!
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    It's actually a 3rd year model. This generation Corolla came out in 2000 in Japan
  • zukhovzukhov Member Posts: 34
    First of all, I definitely sympathize with you, as this total engine failure shouldn't happen on an engine with 62,000 miles. Particularly, a Toyota engine. Having said that, these things can happen with pretty much any manufacturer. Re Your comment about 'The low quality aluminum block engines that they are now placing in their vehicles'. I'm not an engineer or anything, but Toyota and other manufactureres have been producing aluminium block engines for some time with no related problems. Think about it. If you were Toyota, with most people buying their because of the consistent high quality vehicles, do you really think that they would jepordize that by building crappy cars? I don't think so.
    My car is a one week old. I got a little paint chip on my front bumper. After first car wash I noticed it got bigger. It's spreading in all directions. I can pull it by my nail and remove all paint from the bumper like scalp from the head. I guess It will look very bad in one year. Anyone considered to put mask on corolla?
    Thanks.
    ...looking for 40 mpg in this car with an automatic. Ours has 5000 miles, and with the AC running and at normal highway speeds around here [75 mph], the best you can expect is 36-37 mpg, which I consider very good. Our range is from just under 30 for normal running around the suburbs to 36 or so for sustained, uninterrupted freeway travel.
  • boilermanboilerman Member Posts: 35
    I have a 2003 Toyota Corolla LE which is a great car other than the handling and tire problems. I took the car to the dealership and all they did was adjust the toe .. The car still rides the same (about as rough as my old 87 Toyota Pick up) The car has the Goodyear Integrity? (ha) 195 65 r 15 and rides and handles like a kayak in a hurricane. Any other owners switch out their stock tires and if so which brand would you recommend? Other than this , a great car Thanks!
    I find my Corolla LE a very stable car. I have a firestone tires. On a highway at 75 mh it doesn't bounce and stable enough. I think it's as stable as my 2000 Maxima that I traded in for Corolla.
  • annasmithannasmith Member Posts: 1
    hi friends,

i have a 2001 toyota corolla le with 30000 miles on it. i change ATF every 15000 miles as recommended by a friend because of my hard driving habits. i used mobil 100% synthetic ATF last time along with the premium ATF treatment solution. i like to use the best stuff on my car. please let me know whether i should use the same two things this time or i should buy toyota ATF. also, my car shifts roughly from P to any gear (R or D or L or 2) but very smoothly in between any other gears(R and D and L and 2). i have been unable to understand the reason. i guess, i am still a novice but very interested to learn more.
    thanks.
  • lefttrunlefttrun Member Posts: 8
    Hello to everyone. I'm new in Toyota family.
    I bought a 2000 Corolla CE recently. Its alarm system is too sensitive! 3 out of 4 nights it
    shouted out loudly in the midnight, which is quite annoying. I use securikey+, somebody said its sensitivity is adjustable and dealer can do it. But if it's easy to do, I want to modify it myself. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • saturnfansaturnfan Member Posts: 40
    To Nikolaikin,

I'd be suspicious of improperly repaired transportation damage.

Poorly repainted plastic bumper covers tend to peel. Also, of course, the factory could have painted over a contaminated cover causing lack of adhesion.

Dealer needs to properly prepare and repaint bumper cover.
  • angenoraangenora Member Posts: 2
    I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has a 2003 Toyota Corolla that is making a rattle/clanging, metal on metal, noise that appears to be coming from the front end whenever you hit a sharp bump such as a pothole. It almost sounds like something is loose. The sound only happens when you hit a sharp bump. The local dealership is attempting to fix the problem but can't seem to find out where it is originating. They have replaced the front strut, but that did not fix the problem. Any thoughts? Thanks.
  • soure1soure1 Member Posts: 9
    I, too, had a noise very similar to what you described. It was hard to locate.I went looking around under the car and saw a fuel tank mounting bolt that was backed almost all the way out. It turns out that the bracket was banging against the bottom of the car when driving over sharp bumps. Check it out, soon.
  • soure1soure1 Member Posts: 9
    Wind noise from the drivers side front door is caused by a loose seal around the door glass near the outside mirror. Had it replaced and car is quiet again.
    Passenger side visor mirror fell out of visor.
    Visor replaced.
    After tire rotation, Firestone tire squeaks over bumps, as if plys are coming apart within tire. Put tire back on rear so I can't hear it.
    I heard the same noise on Corolla J I test drove for the first time. It was coming from front-left side. Of course I didn't buy it. I bought another one from different dealler. After first week it developed rattle noise coming from inside of CD player area. Hope they will fix it. The second noise from outside of CD and disappears after I put my finger on it.
  • ssimpson4ssimpson4 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone with a 5 speed noticed that if you stop on a very steep hill or come to a stop at the bottom of a very steep hill that it will not climb it without stalling. You have to sqawl the tires and redline it to get it to go. I questioned my coworkers problem till I tried it for myself. We also tried a CE 5 spd Corolla and another new Matrix. If youve never tried it, you won't have any idea what I'm talking about. Toyota is aware of the problem. They said for some reason, the computer that controls the VVT-I is being fooled by the sensors because the gas is being depressed all the way, the rpms are up, but the car isn't moving much. SOmething like that. ANyway, let us know if you are having this same problem.
  • bartbikerwbartbikerw Member Posts: 36
    I draw my girlfirends 2003 CE on a steep hil a few times, both from the bottom, midway, and almost on top while wating for a light to change. I had not probles. You just have to increase you rpms a little maybe till 2500rmps, and no problem there. Any car will stall if you don't give enough engine power to overcome the gravity pulling it down.
  • sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    check out the tires, tires, tires discussion group.
  • sony4sony4 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Corolla CE caused me lots of problems. The wiper went abnormal after only about 15K, and now at less than 40K, the check engine and brake signals both came out a couple of weeks ago, and the whining problem which was discussed a lot here. The check engine signal was due to a defection of mass airflow sensor, the hand brake signal should also be caused by some defected sensors. Both of them are out of warrantee, even if it's 2K Corolla and below 40K, which makes me dislike Toyota dealership even more.
    I had very good experience with my Lumina 90', bought it around 100K, now it is almost 140K. I had less problems with it than the Corolla. Now I in the market for an Impala. I hope I had not offended Toyota fans.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    my Matrix auto is getting 32-33 in mixed city driving - I can't wait to take it on a road trip and see if I can top 40 mpg! The 32-33 figure includes liberal use of the A/C. I am a pretty conservative driver.

Twilight sensor: has anyone had any luck coming up with a solution to this thing? It is mounted too close to the A-pillar and so flicks the headlights on and off all day long whenever you go around a corner so that the sun is to the left and right. After the dealer told me that if disconnected it will cause the lights not to work at all, I have been just leaving the lights on all the time, so that the dash lights do not go flicking up and down all the time, but I would rather they just be off. Any good solutions out there?

Also, a minor question: the brochure for this car states that it should have retained power for the windows for 45 secs after the key is turned off. Mine does not, however. Does anyone have this? Mine is an XR.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)