Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• vlanman25vlanman25 Member Posts: 49
    My Corolla has an annoying little creek that occurs in the rear passenger side by the back window. It appears to be related to the body flexing rather than a rattle from vibration. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what can be done to correct it (without dismantling the vehicle)?
  • fan4fan4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Toyota Corolla I bought new. I've replaced the oil every 5K, transmission and radiator every 15K, tune-up every 30K, and a timing belt every 60K. I have 154,000 miles on it with very few problems. I've replaced the starter, the oxygen sensor, and the left front axle (bad CV joint.) The starter was $250.00, the oxygen sensor was $100.00, and the axle was $150.00. That is $500.00 of unexpected repairs in 7 years/154,000 miles. No other car I've owned has been this cheap to own.

I've had Michelin X Ones, Firestones, and Kelly tires on it. The Michelins were the best. The car handled and stopped better - especially in rain.

Right now, the only problem with car is a rotational noise from the front end that I can't figure out. Otherwise, it is in great condition. No broken door handles, etc.

Honestly, I'm bored to tears by this car. I want a new car, but I can't spend $300 - $500 a month to replace a car that is this cheap to run.

My main complaint about the car is that it is light. Because of it's weight, it doesn't handle as well in rain and snow as I'd like.

So, while my friends upgrade to new Camry's, Accords, and luxury sedans, I keep putting along in my Corolla. Luckily, I'm happily married, because I'd never pick up a chick in this car!!
  • jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    i did find the gas pedal on the new corolla a bit sensitive and takes time getting used to it. took me about a week or so to get used to it. i dont have any problems going up any hills. i dont think there's anything wrong with the vvt-i system. it's a matter of practice and getting used to the car. just my opinion.

i do have this sound coming from the rear seat area when i go over bumps. i have a car seat installed so i thought it's the car seat. i'll check it out.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    My Dad's 95 has around 105k, and has had no unscheduled maintenance, except for a new starter motor at around 95k miles ($175). He had brake pads replaced and rotors turned at 90k miles (75% city miles). He changes oil at 3k, flushes radiator every 2 years, and replaces plugs, air filter, PVC valve every 30k, fuel filter every 45k, manual tranny fluid at 90k. THAT's IT! He loves it, still runs and looks the day it was made.
    My '99 is just as good so far - zero problems.
    You asked about a rotational noise - My '99 had a rotational rubbing noise at low speeds, going straight or turning. Toyota Mechanic said it was the tires rubbing on the wheel that made the noise. It stopped when I put on Michelin X-1's. Try putting some silicone spray in the area where the tire meets the wheel and see if it stops briefly. Also, try Corolland.com.
  • monaco2monaco2 Member Posts: 7
    On some recent posts owners were complaining that the brake light was on because the brake fluid level was low. One owner had his Corolla only two weeks. Where did the fluid go to? I could see that after 20,000 miles or so the fluid level drops because of brake pad wear, but not on very new cars.
  • corollalecorollale Member Posts: 2
    I bought my corolla LE 4 weeks ago. The one thing I noticed about it was that it was extremely soft. The steering, the accel, the brakes..
    Recently, I've noticed that steering's stiffened from before. It's not impossible to drive. It's just not as soft as it used to be. The car currently has 800 miles on it.

I've checked the power steering fluid levels and taken it back to the dealership, but they have no idea what I'm talking about.

Has anyone experienced this?
  • zukhovzukhov Member Posts: 34
    Have a new XR Matrix, and I like the car.

With a few people in the car with the windows closed, a lot of condensation quickly builds up on the windshield. Is there a way to blow air on the inside windshield without running the AC in defrost mode? This is usually enough to keep the condensation away without running the AC when it is already cold? I could do this with other cars.

When I press the accelerator lightly & then take my foot off, it makes a funny noise. Seems like the spring could be making the noise. Can this be lubricated?? Thanks.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    -I will bet you have the air intake button set to "recirculate"; if this is the case, don't. Set it to let fresh air into the car at all times, unless you are dealing with very hot or very cold temps [or are stuck behind a smoking POS], and even then you should use recirc sparingly.

-Remember that running the AC compressor, which takes water out of the air, is completely separate from the air temp you desire in the car. You can set the temp knob to any level that makes you comfy, and leave the AC on, and the compressor will keep the air inside the car nice and dry. There is no need to suffer with it too hot, too cold, or too moist - and you can direct the air anywhere you want. The system will keep you comfy, but you do have to let the AC compressor run to do its job. [The temp knob basically mixes warm air from the heater box with cold air from the AC, and thus provides whatever temp you want.]
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...can be lubricated. You might try a little silicone spray, or if you don't know where to look under the hood, take it to a dealer. It's a 2 minute job.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    I have the 4WD XR. According to the salesroom booklet on the Matrix, all XRs are supposed to have the retained-power feature. If mine has it, it doesn't work. Also, we don't have the "lockable illuminated glove box" that is listed as a standard feature in the booklet on all Matrixes. Does anyone have this?

I was expecting my vehicle to come with the "all weather guard package" (heavy duty heater and rear seat heater ducts), which is listed as standard on the 4WD base model. The XR is supposed to have everything that comes standard on the base model, plus certain features. Under the XR heading in the booklet, though, this package is listed as an option.

One other curiosity is that the salesroom booklet lists the EPA ratings on the 4WD Matrix as 17/32, but the window sticker shows 26/31.

Does anyone know about the availability of the roof rack? The booklet says it is an available accessory, but the parts people at my dealership say they have not yet received any information on it. The disclaimer in the booklet: Some options and accessories may not be available in all regions of the country.
  • toyotaladytoyotalady Member Posts: 4
    I have the Integrity Tires on my Corolla and looking to make a switch to tires that are good in the rain and snow and that grip the road so when it's windy out and I'm driving on the highway I'm not being pushed to the side. Any thoughts anyone? By the way, I live in the southern New England area.

Has anyone replaced their wipers on their 2001 Corolla yet? If so, then what wipers did you choose and why?
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    The Matrix materials that I got from Toyota describe the Cold Weather Pkgs for the base Matrix, XR and XRS as being the same, but the items you list are in an option package. The standard CWP all of them just has the intermittent rear wiper. The 'Optional' CWP for the Base, XR and XRS includes the heavy duty heater, rear ducts and extra moulding.

Toyota's marketing shop calls them the same thing, so its easy for them and us to get confused over what options are options and which aren't.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    retained power feature for the windows does not work either! I was waiting to see if anyone else would corroborate the fact that the XR is supposed to have it, and doesn't. I think I will write a letter to Toyota and see what they say.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I looked in the owner's manual yesterday and didn't find any mention of the retained power feature. Did I miss it? Let us know if you get a reply from Toyota.

If Toyota is referring to two different things as "all weather package," the Matrix sales booklet certainly is misleading if not categorically incorrect. This is under "standard features" on the base Matrix:

• All-Weather Guard Package with intermittent rear window wiper (standard on 4WD models, available on 2WD models)

And then under "available options" on the base Matrix:

• All-Weather Guard Package -- intermittent rear window wiper, windshield molding, heavy-duty heater and rear-seat heater ducts (2WD models, standard on 4WD)

And then we have a statement in the next column, under Matrix XR, that the XR includes all standard features of the base model (or other standard features that replace these features).
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    best getting separate rims & snow tires.

Michelin X-Ones are excellent tires. It handles light snow pretty well, though it doesn't snow as heavily in PA or VA compared to New England. (based on my parent's 94 Corolla)

Triple Edge wipers are actually good wipers, and the Silicone compound will last much longer than the rubber elements in the Toyota ones (if Bosch refills still available, use those).
    Thanks for your suggestion. I wish I could get seperate rims & snow tires, but unfortunately I have no where to store. I heard good things about the Michelin X-Ones, a little expensive though. But if they live up to gripping in the rain and snow and keeping me straight on the highway on windy days I'll be happy and they would be worth the expense.

Next time I need wipers I'll give the Bosch wipers a try. Thanks again for your help.
    it was in the brochure, I haven't checked the manual, but then again, the manual is meant to cover all trim levels, even ones without power windows, so it will not be certain based on the manual. I have yet to get a response from Toyota, but only 24 hours have passed, so far, so no surprise there!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

The owner's manual has information on all sorts of features that I don't have -- like the compass system in the rear-view mirror. For that reason I thought the retained power feature would be mentioned there with a description of how exactly it works. It definitely is listed in the brochure/salesroom booklet as an XR feature.
    if they just went ahead and LEFT IT OUT of all the Matrixes, what are they going to do, admit their error? I doubt it, and even if they do, they can't do anything about it, that I can think of. I am just wondering what they will say. 48 hours, still no response.

• saturnfansaturnfan Member Posts: 40
    To the poster who complained about wimpy A/C, please try the "recirculate" setting.

If that's no good, see your dealer.

My A/C is so cold, I have to back it down really fast. This is during hot, steamy days in North Carolina.

Really great A/C IMHO.
  • saturnfansaturnfan Member Posts: 40
    Perhaps, it's a badly done manual mentioning a retained power feature that's not installed.

For example, the manual says that the interior dome light will stay on for a few minutes after the door is closed. Even the switch on the dash shows a clock for the timed option.

This option's not on the CE but Toyota didn't make a different dimmer/dome switch plate to so indicate. Even the dealer had to check it out on several lot cars to be sure.

Perhaps this is the problem here - bad documentation.
    if you have power windows, then you should have this feature.

i have this on my sienna van and at first, i thought i didnt have it or it wasn't working. the way it works is when after you shut off your engine, the windows will work for set period of time as long as none of the doors have been opened. if you shut off the engine and open the door and then try to operate the power window, it won't work. once you open the door, the reserved power is gone.
    it works the same way for my sister's 1997 camry with power windows. i assume that all late model toyota's would work the same way.
    i could be wrong but i believe that the little clock picture on the dome light switch is meant to tell the driver that it's a dimmer switch as well for the instrument panel. the little round picture with lines means speedometer/instrument panel but because the picture looks like a clock, i guess some people would interpret the picture as a timer.

the fade-out dome lamp feature is available only for the LE and S models as indicated on the 2003 corolla brochure.

just my $0.02
    I agree with 8u6hfd. The Michelin X-1's are great, I have them on my '99. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for in this case.
    Thanks for your advice. I see that the 2003's are having the same cross wind problems from the other Toyota Corolla board. Perhaps the weight of the car is a bit light. Mine weights a little over 2,400 lbs.
    probably because it has gotten taller, which has probably less aerodynamic on the sides, making it more susceptible to cross winds
    Also, shop around for the best price on the X-1's - I found a BIG variation in price from place to place. Also, I had the Integrity Tires on mine from the factory - I hated them - no traction, noisy, etc. You'll be pleased with the X-1's. I don't notice the cross winds - I think it is just common to all smaller cars.

I replaced the wiper blades (just the rubber inserts) with the Toyota original parts - about $12 total for the pair on sale at my local dealer.

I just had a VERY minor problem yesterday - my clutch pedal was squeaking (from the inside). A spray of white lithium grease on the hinge point and it was fixed! Love my Corolla!
    Thanks again for your advice. I love my Corolla too! I like it's nimbleness around the corners as well as the suspension that feels like I'm riding in a big car too.
  • mralanmralan Member Posts: 174
    Mom's 2000 Corolla "check engine" light recently came on. I removed the negative battery terminal for a few minutes and the light stayed off for a few days, but now it's back on.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?
    the interior lights fade out after a period of time, or when the engine is turned on, whichever comes first. But the retained power is absent for the windows, whether or not the doors are opened. 72 hours, no response from Toyota.

• boilermanboilerman Member Posts: 35
    Another saga of dealership non-service. Once again, Toyota has managed to do a great job of SELLING me a Toyota but I see where their dealerships RANK? (APPROPRIATE WORD ALSO) near the bottom as far as customer service. I contacted the region? and they were to contact the dealer about installing the cargo net on my car. They (forgot) to install it at delivery!! Ten days later,no call,no installation.. I have owned several Toyotas and thank God they are very reliable vehicles, because the dealership service SUCKS! IF anybody wants to give me advice on installing the cargo net, let me know! May even be a beer in it.. for someone.. At least it would get installed before the Northside Indianapolis dealer would call.. Hell would freeze over earlier! Have a good day! Nice car I have, dealership still sucks!
    get the OBDII computer scanned.

It could be anything.
    the light could be caused by your gas cap. check to make sure the cap is tight. if it is then you have something else thats causing the light to come on.

boilerman: get the net from the dealer if you don't have it yet. waiting for them to install something that's free always takes a long time! get the net and do it yourself. i havent done one but it cant be that hard to install. i would assume that there are pre-drilled holes on the body for those nets or maybe hooks for the net like on the matrix.
    for the power windows, have you tried leaving the key in the ACC position and then operate the windows (without opening any doors)? there are systems out there that would require you to leave the key in the ACC position to operate the windows. i'm not sure if the matrix would be one of them.
  • sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    boilerman, I have a '98 Corolla and bought/installed the cargo net myself. All that's required is replacing two plastic fasteners on each side of the trunk right behind or close to the rear light assembly and replacing them with the T-hook screws that come with the cargo net. It should be the same unless the trunk configuration has changed drastically. Instructions also come with the net. Good luck!

CEL does not go away unless the condition that caused it goes away. Most common is a loose gas cap as mentioned above. Try to unscrew the gas cap all the way then screw it back on till you hear lots of clicks (2 to 3 extra twists). Others have been caused by bad gasoline or clogged O2 sensors. And even if the condition goes away, the computer keeps a record of it for the tech to look at or you if you have the right gadgets to hook it up. Good luck!!
    no go - that doesn't work either. 4 days, no response from Toyota...I will stop counting now! :-)

• steelersfansteelersfan Member Posts: 16
    Boilerman - I installed a cargo net in my 2003 Corolla last week and it mirrors the procedure described by Sensei1. Takes about 5 minutes.
  • xr_matrixxr_matrix Member Posts: 96
    There are no factory roof racks for the Matrix yet and the Vibe rack will not fit as it has a slightly different line to the roof.

There are 2 aftermarket racks

http:\\www.yakima.com
    http:\\www.thule.com

I have the Thule and it fits nicely and comes off in less than 5 minutes. If anyone wants a picture or more information about the Thule rack...let me know and I will get it to you.
  • sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    Glad it worked out for you. Now if only they have one for a WRX sedan would be great.

Virtual beer would do. http://beer.trash.net/

It doesn't work on mine, either. The retained power feature just isn't there as advertised.
    finally got my response from Toyota central today concerning the retained power issue: "The retained power feature is currently not available on any of the Matrix models. Specifications, standard features and available equipment are based upon information available at the time of printing and are subject to change without notice. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

This despite this info is STILL posted on their website...

I am still hounding them about the stupid twilight sensor though...am curious to see if I will get anywhere...

• dogtrainerdogtrainer Member Posts: 96
    I don't have this problem with my XR. If I pull into my garage and leave the engine on, the full headlights will come on after about 20 seconds. This delay feature seems to work to prevent them from coming on during normal daytime driving. Even if the pillar casts a shadow on the sensor, the full headlights don't come on. Full sun on the sensor is not needed, just normal daylight. It has to be a significantly cloudy day for them to come on.

If it is annoying you, you can set the dash lights to full brightness. This will prevent them from flickering until you get the sensor repaired. If your dealer can't or won't fix it, have you tried another dealer, or the zone manager?
    The sales booklet listing the retained power feature still is in the showroom here, and the people in both the service department and the sales department are still referring to the booklet to find out about various features on various models. Toyota's answer is annoying.

My twilight sensor turns on the headlights on sunny days whenever the angle of the sun is blocked by the pillar to the extent that the sensor is cast in a shadow. Drive one direction and the headlights come on; turn around and drive back and you have only the running lights. It wouldn't be necessary to compensate for this by playing with the dimmer control on the dashboard display if the sensor were positioned more in the center of the dashboard.
    just a question about the sensor. if you're driving and unless it's really dark, how will you know the sensor turned on your headlights?

on the 03 corolla, the difference between the DRL and headlights being on is not that much.

also, a tip for making your headlight bulb last longer. when driving at night, the DRL is about 95% bright enough to shine the road so you can just turn your switch to the parking lights position. this means you are driving with DRL and parking lights on. of course this depends on vehicle. on the 03 corolla, DRL is bright enough so i just use DRL and driving lights. i do the same thing with my sienna. the bulb last much longer. on some cars, you just get a yellowish beam on the front so you have no choice but to turn on the headlights.
  • rikmoirikmoi Member Posts: 1
    I too have a rotten egg smell on my Corolla. Got 3000 miles on it and it still comes and goes. Seems to have something to do with the air-conditioning and/or defrosters.I smell it when I've been running them. I had the dealer check it out, he said if the "service engine" light doesn't come on, I don't have a problem. Still smells like hell tho'. By the way, what's the recall for?
    on the matrix, you know when the headlights are on because a little green indicator comes on on the dash...and you can't drive at night with just the DRLs on because the sensor turns on the headlights.

I hate it, and Toyota has told me it is not their problem.

• soure1soure1 Member Posts: 9
    After putting 9,600 miles on the OEM Firestones the car came with, I decided to get something better. I bought a set of Dunlop SP Sport A2. They are AA rated for traction. The car now feels like it is glued to the pavement. I find myself driving faster because the car is so much more stable. And the car rides better, despite the tire's "H" rating for 130 mph. Highly recommended tires. See November 2002 Consumer Reports.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    It reads: Toyota Matrix drivers, are you out there? If you are interested in sharing your thoughts on your vehicle with a national audience, please contact the reporter of a MAJOR daily at lori_f@eudoramail.com with your name, daytime contact information, line of work and city/state of residence by October 14, 2002.

Thank you!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• southpaw1southpaw1 Member Posts: 34
    Why would anyone want to drive around with lights 95% as bright as headlights? I don't understand. Headlights are expensive but so are car accidents. I like the sensor and so far the lights come on only when appropriate like parking garages.
    it is slightly better placed in corollas than in Matrixes - I went around checking, and it is further back from the windshield cowling in the corolla.

I may pry mine out of the dash and prop it up on tootpicks or something so that it is near the glass and consequently gets a lot more of the ambient light available.