Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• 01loadedle01loadedle Member Posts: 23
    1. does anyone know what the cost will be to replace the drive belt on my 01 corolla[belt+labor]?

2. wheres a good price to buy the belt online?

3. is there a good place that will replace it cheaper than the dealer without tearing up the car?

reguarding the post above, do corolla water pumps last over 120k miles or go bad sooner?
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    My mechanic didn't say...and I didn't ask about it's condition. Just figured it was right there in plainsight, and he didn't charge any extra labor to swap it out. Was a no brainer to me. Like I had posted earlier, since my kids were driving the car also, I wanted the peace of mind, as the car already had about 59k on it.
    Funny though, 6 months later we traded it in for a '03 Sentra. Two things helped us decide to trade. We had already had 4 Toyota's and all their brakes felt "mushy" to all of us...they didn't grab at first and there was a bit of play in the brake pedal. Even after the pads were replaced and the rotors were machined and the rears done a few weeks later.. The brakes didn't instill that feeling of confidence and no one would drive it except me.
    Then we saw an ad with a $1500. rebate on the Sentra. We already liked our '01 Altima and decided to check the Sentra out. We test drove it, liked it and got a good OTD price...so we traded it in. I will say that Toyota's all have better gas mileage but that's the only complaint I have about the Sentra. And all the girls enjoy driving it.
    I personally want peace of mind when it comes to our cars with multiple drivers and now we have that. We will probaly replace the Alty around Thanksgiving, as the wife is ready for something smaller and new.

The Sandman :)
    I previously thought the same along with you and alot of others but I was pleasantly suprised recently.

I had the same problem with my 01 corolla and was displeased with the brakes for 67k miles even after a pad replacement with better pads than stock. I took it to discount tire to machine the rotors/drums and they tightened the drum adjusters and parking brake without me knowing to ask for it and that thing stops better than it ever did brand new so what a suprise that was. now there's no more mushy pedal feel like Im used to so know now that it "can" be improved. everybody should get this done on their corollas and discount charged me nothing extra to do it btw.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I had my mechanic do the same thing, he adjusted and cleaned the rear brakes about 2 months later. After, the emergency brake only took 3 clicks to get to it's stopped position. the peddle did feel better for a bit afterwards, but that "mushy" feeling always came back.
    The brakes on the Sentra are pretty good to me, better than any of our Toyotas, and 2 weeks ago with my oil change and rotation, he also did what you had done on the rear brakes. Car stops like it was new again.
    Will probaly try Honda, Volvo, Mazda or BMW for her new ride. After showing her the '05 325i this morning on the way to breakfast, she said she'll buy whatever is most comfortable with a unobstructed view in a compact car. This should be fun!

The Sandman :)
    yes it does always loosen up but when it does I'll just get discount tires to tighten it while rotating the tires for free so its no hassle in my case.

whatever car you buy just make sure there's atleast one dealer if not more near you incase one dealer does you wrong. I wanted acura or infinity but their dealers are nowhere near me. if I had the money I'd try a volvo or bmw but if youre not made out of money just remember they will cost more in upkeep.

I dont know anything about the other cars you mentioned but a mechanically helpful guy on another forum said the newer honda accord is super with a strong body and quick v6 with the smoothest motor/trans combo he's ever driven...better than the several earlier accord models that he's owned. he said its a joy to drive with the nice interior and comfortable seats and he see's no reason to ever buy anything else its so good. if I had the money I'd look into one.
  • fernzofernzo Member Posts: 1
    Hello.

I'm having trouble with my old and beloved car and I'm hoping that someone will read this, understand my problem, and provide me good and accurate advice.

I have a '91 Corolla - 4-cylinder automatic. It has 165,000 miles on it and, in most respects runs very well. I'm getting about 35 mph on the highway right now. Over the past month or so, I've been having difficulty starting it and can't identify a pattern. I've had problems starting it when it's sat for days or an hour. I just drove it 350 continuous miles on Saturday, shut it off, and then tried to start it and it started right up.

When I try to start it and it's reluctant, there is virtually no sound. Somewhere distant in the engine, there's a small buzz, like it knows you're trying to start it, but nothing else. I can hold the key for several minutes and it may spring back from the dead. I've also tried repeatedly and then it will resurrect itself or leave for a few minutes and come back. I've called the auto club twice on this car only to come back and have it start immediately. I have taken it to the Toyota dealership and they replaced the starter (the third in 3 years for this car), but the problem hasn't gone away. I brought the car in again and they had it for 3 days but could not duplicate the problem.

There are some perhaps important things to know about my car. I quit my job to go back to school and am just now employed and trying to get a down payment together. In '02, my car had an electrical fire that my (truly) fantastic former mechanic - an electrical whiz - told me started at the starter I had recently rebuilt at a Toyota dealership in Lansing, MI (don't ever go there). The fantastic mechanic I found through the grapevine revived my car. It was truly fantastic. I've had a lot of work done on it since (timing belt, new gas tank, etc.) due to its age and my desperate financial need not to buy a car. The battery, which he described as industrial strength, dates from 2002. When I last saw him in November, he told me that it didn't need to be replaced. I moved out of state in January and it was in April that I began to have problems with my car not starting.

Forgive the length of my post. I know a little, but not a lot about cars and I won't be able to buy another one until early fall. Does anyone recognize this problem and if so, can you offer any guidance as to what is actually wrong with my car? It runs beautifully, it's just starting it that's the problem.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A reporter is looking to speak with owners of Chrysler, Saab, Toyota or Volkswagen vehicles who did all the scheduled maintenance on their vehicle and still experienced engine sludge within the warranty period within the past year. If this describes your situation, please respond by 6pm Eastern on Monday, May 23, 2005 to jfallon@edmunds.com.
    Thanks for your consideration,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • qwer01184qwer01184 Member Posts: 9
    Hello guys,

I have and Corolla 2001. Everytime I start the AC, there's an odd smell, some what like the smell of fungus, for a couple of minutes. After that, the smell gone away. I thought that I need to replace the air filter for cabin's air. However, an technician as an dealer told me that Corolla doesn't have air filter for the air inside the car. Is he right ? What do you guys think I should do to get rid of the smell ?

Thanks in advance :D
    dealers really miss the mark sometimes, they shouldve told you thats mold growing in your evaporator.

I had this exact same problem with my 01 corolla and bought "odor out" at a parts store [$5]. get the ac kit version not the fogger it works better since it has a hose attached to stick in the vent which in our car is above the glove box when you open it.

next time you take it to the dealer ask them to clean out your ac drain line where the water drains out behind the motor because it may be dirty and holding some water in the evaporator causing that mold. either way after you use the odor out just drive the car down the highway with the windows down for about 30 minutes and that will get rid of the too strong vanilla smell.

oh and have paper towels around the button when you press it because some liquid will build up around it and fall out on your hand and car otherwise.
  • beernutbeernut Member Posts: 329
    Does the water drain out behind the "motor", as in the fan motor? Or do you mean behind the engine, like at the rear of the engine compartment - on the passenger side?
    right, your second question is what Im talking about.
  • danyos777danyos777 Member Posts: 4
    Hello:
    I like your comments. You are very honest in your answers. I would like to ask you for advice. I own a toyota 2000.
    Do you have idea on what type of tune-up should I do like what I am supposed to change by doing it. My car has close to 65000 miles. I want to know if I need to change the spark plugs and for a better fuel economy, what type I can use without affecting the engine's life. I thank you in advance for your attention to this matter.
    Hello: Does anyone know about tune-up? I own a toyota 2000. Do you have idea on what type of tune-up should I do like what I am supposed to change by doing it. My var has close to 65000 miles. I want to know if I need to change the spark plugs and for a better fuel economy, what type I can use without affecting the engine's life. I thank you in advance for your attention to this matter
    I would like to know the difference between wax and polish if you said that you do this i time against 3 a year. Thank you.
    check it out, zaino z-2 won over mcquires in a wax test.

http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html
  • randsrands Member Posts: 1
    I am having what seems to be the exact same problem as you in my 97 Corolla. My intuition says it is an electrical problem, which is the only type of problem I've ever had with this car (AC problmes and oxygen sensor in fuel went in past). I hear the same buzzing and no turn over. I haven't done anything to fix it yet becasue I eventually can start the car after several tries (though today it took the longest so I am getting worried). One thing: it has rained here like 10 straight days so that might be an issue...maybe moisture on some poor wiring connects? If you find anything out please contact!
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    My guess would be the starter solenoid. Not cheap, but cheaper than replacing the whole starter motor. A good technician should be able to diagnose this quickly and easily.
  • m_c_1212m_c_1212 Member Posts: 2
    :cry: Hello All,

Ref : ENGINE BREAKDOWN for corolla 2000, with 62k miles.

My car is Toyota Corolla 2000 CE, Automatic. It has 62,000 miles on it.
    Yesterday while I was driving for a trip, it made some noise and then "check light" cameup. I stopped and then tried to start, it would not start again.
    It had to be towed to a toyota service shop. The service man said that the "engine has broken down" and would need about $3500-4000 to put a new engine.
    I WAS IN TOTAL *****SHOCK*****.

Since it is a Toyota dealership shop, I am inclining to trust their diagnosis. To be exact he said, the 4 rods of engine has broken down and this is the first time I have seen any such problem.

I am very very surprised and shocked to see car like Toyota corolla, with just 5 years and 62,000 miles on it, have its engine breakdown. I did regular maintainenace with oil changes and in fact just had my 60k few weeks back. I dont understand what would have gone wrong...... ( The car is not under warranty now so no way they will take care of it by their money ...)

Questions need help :

1) Does anybody knows how much does it cost to replace a new engine in corrolla? Is $4000 , (california) too high for a new one with labor charges ...?
    2) Could my car have some manufacturing defect from beginning that may have caused this case? How do i deal with this case ??
    3) Would the main toyota centre help in reimbursing this amount since this looks like such an unusual problem... or do you think they will just say "What can we do" ... You must have not maintained it--- Though i have most of the records to support maintanenance... Has anybody come across any issues out of warranty and talked to 800-331-4331 ( toyoyta line) and reimbursed from them...
    4) Any other ideas suggestions, inputs ( I know i could get a new car for like 10-15k so 4k is a big amount .... so buying a new is an option )

Overall I am shocked at this "engine failure" event. I will talk to the Toyota service center tomorrow and see what can they do. Already talked to my dealer .. he says "do what you want to do" I cant help .... you must have not maintained your car ... ( thats pretty "rude" ) .....

anyways... thanks for taking time to reply.
    mary
    the price sounds good but I'd get another dealer to do it since theyre service isnt pleasant. I'd tell the dealer that was rude and youre leaving. then I'd leave a complaint to toyota.com about them saying that.

Im at a loss of why that would happen too but a mechanically enclined person should know better than to say that since anything mechanical can break down without abuse although its rare but that doesnt mean it cant happen.

you may be better off selling the car as is and buying another one since youre having to spend 4k. I'd think that money would go better towards a newer vehicle. but I'd absolutely get toyota to examine the motor and find out why that happened because that is very rare.
  • aj2aj2 Member Posts: 12
    hi, i have a new corolla and have noticed the same thing since I bought the car...I also rented a car a month ago, and it was a 2005 corolla, and it did the same exact thing...I think it's just the car to be honest.....
  • aj2aj2 Member Posts: 12
    hi,
    i have a 2005 and it had been doing the same thing since I purchased the car...i took it back twice, and it was something to do with a backing plate not fitting exactly right on the car. You may want to have them look at that on the car......apparently the dealership I took it to, also reported this problem...
    I agree the corollas are prone to this problem so it must be thru design. the problem is mold growing around the ac evaporator. its a dark moist place that apparently wasnt designed to air out properly which causes gives mold a great place to grow.

Ive gone thru 2 cans of odor out bacteria killer that you spray in the ac vents to get rid of this smell. its only temporary because the smell came back both times so the only fix I know is to take it to the dealer and get them to clean it out themselves. I started smelling it when it was brand new so Ive had that problem with the corolla the whole time Ive owned it.
    someone told me it sounds like antifreeze came into the block thru the headgasket and all the pistons welded themselves to the walls, breaking the rods. he said I have never heard of four rods failing at once except through water coming in and causeing hydraulic lock.
    Wow! Antifreeze (you mean "coolant") came in to the block (you probably mean "combustion chamber", its already in the block) and welded the pistons to the walls (impossible). Your mechanic said he's never heard of it EXCEPT... That means he HAS heard of it.

Nothing is welding itself to anything during hydraulic lock.

Find yourself a real mechanic - real fast.
  • corollachicacorollachica Member Posts: 1
    My Corolla wagon has 170k miles. In Jan. the front left axel broke, yesterday the right front axel broke. The mechanics are even surprised. $1000 each for repair at Dealer. Both had warning signs of slipping and rattling sounds after accelerating, but has anyone had a similar experience?
    if toyota did any kind of engine work that couldve contributed to that happening then I'd get a lawyer.
  • tsilva25tsilva25 Member Posts: 2
    Hey all,

I have a 2005 Corolla CE which I'm fairly happy with so far. No major problems, except for the last two weeks or so I have noticed a loud hissing sound coming from the engine compartment ONLY when I turn left and the a/c is on. Any advice?? Wouldn't this sort of thing be covered under warranty? The car is only six months old!
  • cwd2cwd2 Member Posts: 1
    Your original post leaves some gaps in the information. You stated "it made some noise and then "check light" cameup. I stopped and then tried to start, it would not start again." Did the engine quit after the engine light came on and you coasted to the side of the road or did you pull to the side of the road, turn the engine off and than later try to re-start it? When you tried to start it, did the engine turn over and just not start or did it not crank (turn over) at all when you tried to re-start it? You mention 60K maintenance a couple weeks ago, was the oil changed and are you sure the oil was refilled? Was the timing belt replaced? I believe this engine uses a timing belt. Piston rods don't usually break in normal engines and even if one broke, the engine would normally continue to run but would be beating itself up inside and not last long. Someone else responded to the comment on "hydraulic lock" and is correct, that would not "weld the pistons" to the cylinder walls. A leaking head gasket would allow compression leaks between cylinders or coolant/antifreeze to leak from a water jacket to a cylinder but it is highly unlikely that coolant would leak into all four cylinders at once. If the engine is running with a leaking head gasket, most of the water would be burned off as steam. If there was a massive leak, hydraulic lock occurs when the water fills the cylinder on the intake stroke and on the compression stroke the water cannot be compressed and stops the upward movement of piston. Since all four cylinders are not in the compression stroke at the same time it would be near impossible to break all the rods at the same time. Pulling the spark plugs would provide a quick check of whether there was water in any of the cylinders or not. A blown headgasket and water leak would normally be identified by by excessive steam/water from the exhaust with the engine running or by hard starting/hydraulic lock after the engine has been turned off for a while and water has had the time to seep into the cylinder and fill it up enough to cause the lock. If the "pistons are welded" that would only occur from severe overheating, as possible if the engine was run without oil.
    Another possibility is if the timing belt broke or came off, the engine would die almost immediately but not before the valve timing was thrown off and on some engines, that will result in a collision between the valves and pistons. I do not know if that is the case with the Corolla engine. However, the starter would still be able to turn the engine over but it would not start.
    None of the above solves your problem but it does give you some things to ask your mechanics about when you talk to them, if they haven't given you a clear understanding about what happened.
    Good luck,
    CWD
  • poppop1poppop1 Member Posts: 2
    Since a well maintained Toyota engine should not fail at 62K miles, and following the "simple explanations first" principle - I suspect that whoever did the 60K mile service did or failed to do something. You have a case for the Car Talk guys on National Public Radio. Call them on 1-888-CAR TALK. It is s a car problem call in talk show and they do over the air diagnostics as well as giving tactical advice
  • mllockmllock Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03 corolla and I am so unhappy with the rattle on a bumpy road. Like you said, when riding on others car, even they are older, most of them doesn't feel as bad as my corolla. It just seem that the suspension is too hard and something in the car are not fit properly. I am going to the dealer.
  • dijaresdijares Member Posts: 2
    My son's car is the same is yours, but has only about 138k miles. It has recently started doing this very same thing. He'd be at school, come out, and it wouldn't start (turns over, but never goes past that point). Twice he has been driving, and it would just die on him for no reason. He puts it back into park and it starts right up. The first time it wouldn't start at school, I went there, called our mechanic (who's awesome!) and he said to try the battery, that maybe it wasn't getting enough juice. Tried that, and it started right up. But the second time, this didn't work. I even got a new batter, and it still didn't work. So, I had it towed to my mechanic, and he tinkers with it, and it starts right up. So, he has no idea what it is, but he does have a few theories (to not rip me off, he didn't do anything to it, until this happens again).

His theories; as crazy as this sounds, he has seen a honda that did this same thing - but only if the car was parked in sun. In other words, when it was in the sun, the ignition would become hot and expand, and the conenctions weren't being made. In the shade it was fine. He said it could also be the distributor. He said it's one or the other. He showed my son how to make sure the wires on the distriubtor are not loose. It's quite baffling. :-O I'll keep checking back in the hopes that someone else figures it out. If I find out, I'll let you know.
  • tsilva25tsilva25 Member Posts: 2
    Well thanks for nothing, everyone.. no one replied to my question! hah

Just in case anyone else has this same problem, the dealership told me this problem occurred (hissing when turning left + a/c on) because the drain hose was clogged. A quick remove/clean fixed it, no prob.
  • inaina Member Posts: 5
    I found where the heater resister is in the 1999 Toyota Corolla . You can pop out the Glove Box from inside and it's right there. The part is around $32.00. :)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I'm glad your problem was taken care of by the dealer. Considering your Corolla is only 6 months old, that was the best way to go.

Please remember that these forums are not intended as a place for professional advice, but more for owners (and those seeking to buy) to share their experiences. It very well could be that no one whose Corolla has had this issue has visited this discussion since your initial post five days ago.
  • leadfoot23leadfoot23 Member Posts: 1
    You could get a therapist! But later take it back to the dealer.
    And if a good therapist is what you need, check the Mercedes board. Most of those people can recommend a good one.
  • nancyb1nancyb1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Corolla and when the car is sitting in the sun the warning break light comes on. Then after about 5 mins it goes off. I have taken it to the dealer and they have tried to fix the problem but so far everything they did didn't work. The funny thing about it coming on is only when it is sitting in the hot sun. Has this happened to any others?
  • kneehowmakneehowma Member Posts: 17
    Hi, I have a 2001 Prizm (Corolla's sister) with 67000 miles on it. I have changed engine oil regularly and air filter about every 10-20k. Drain and filled ATF at 60k miles and plan to drop the pan at 70k and switch to synthetic ATF. Lately the car is having start problem. When key is turned, it click once and no firing on the plugs (this is with A/C on), if I turn off the A/C and turn the key to off, wait for few seconds, it will start fine. I first figured this is a battery problem, since I still have the original ACDelco battery from day one, so I took it to Wal-Mart and got a new one. However, even with the new battery, this still happens. What should I do next? I don't have alarm or any security device installed.
  • chimochimochimochimo Member Posts: 2
    Hi ina. I have a 95. Speed 2,3,4 work like 1. One shuts it off. I have the glove box out, etc. What exactly does this resistor look like? Thanks.
  • rollagirl2005rollagirl2005 Member Posts: 1
    After reading through a few of the posts, I've found that I'm not alone in some of the quirks my car has. It was comforting to know that other people have smelled that "sweaty foot" smell from the AC system, as well as the "rotten egg" odor emitting from the exhaust pipe. It's weird when you park at Wal-Mart and hope no one around you smells your exhaust. But this is something I can relatively deal with. What really annoys me is driving down the road and in the event I'm not listening to music, I hear rattles. Lots of rattles. After about 10 minutes of moving around suspects - CDs in the door pocket, a cup in the cupholder, etc. - and still coming up with the noise, I give up, and come to the conclusion that it's something I'll never be able to get rid of. :(
    The most recent problem I've had is with my windows, where the most rattling comes from. I have manual windows. Nope, no power locks or windows for this chick - it's all done by hand. Great. But anyways, it sounds as though my driver's and front passenger's doors' windows are loose. Sometimes, I can roll them down partially then roll them back up and the sound will go away for a while. But it will always start back up again. I can't stand it!! If anyone has advice, I'd love your 2 cents on this one!!
    And the last problem I have is something that has just come up in the past week or so. It is very hot and humid where I live, but I still don't think that's reason for this - the "leather" interior door covering on the top of the driver's side where it meets at the window is coming loose! If I roll the window up, a little flap of it slides up as well. I try to tuck it back down, but it doesn't really stay. It doesn't even appear as though the fabric is even long enough to completely cover the door like it's supposed to. It's all bunched up in the corner. I guess I'd never noticed it before because the side rearview mirror obstructs direct view of it from the outside of the car.
    Well, that's all the complaining I have to do for now. I know I was rather lengthy, but maybe someone will read it anyways!

Signed,
    RollaGirl2005
  • chimochimochimochimo Member Posts: 2
    Found it. Replaced it. Still no go. :cry:
  • jaydavisjaydavis Member Posts: 2
    I am having a Similar problem. I have a 2002 automatic toyota corolla which makes a sqeaky sputter when it rains or when it is very humid. Has anybody experienced a similar problem?..The noise seems to increase when I accelerate. During winter I dont experience this sound, but when it rains or when its very hot and humid the rattling starts again.
  • jaydavisjaydavis Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 automatic toyota corolla which makes a sqeaky sputter when it rains or when it is very humid. Has anybody experienced a similar problem?..The noise seems to increase when I accelerate. During winter I dont experience this sound, but when it rains or when its very hot and humid the rattling starts again.
    It has a rectangular shape with a wire and plug going into it, with 2 screws. Hope this helps.
    Chimochimo, If it's not the resister, did you check all the fuses. There are 3 fuse boxes under the hood, and 1 inside, on the left side of the steering wheel. They should be marked, if not look in your owner's manual.
  • trip8959trip8959 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 92 corolla, should be the same engine as a '91. I'm am having the same problem....bought the car used and drove it for a week. Then it died with an 1/8 of a tank. Thought id run out of gas. It would turn over but not start. Put gas in it and it started up. Next morning I tried to pull it out of the garage and it wouldnt start.
    5 minutes later started right up. Drove it for 3 weeks no problem, jumped on the highway and it died. Wouldnt start...called tow truck, before they left I got it to start again. Drove it to a mechanic and they had it for 4 days....couldnt get it to do it. Took it home and drove it for a few days died again. Took it to another mechanic and they had it for 2 weeks. Couldnt get it to do it!!!!! Picked it up and on the way home it died....HMmmm.... then drove it to get something to eat and it wouldnt start....then it started and drove it half way home and it died . So i pulled spark plug wire and grounded it to block......NO fire...coil checked out fine now another mechanic has had it for 1 week and cant get it to act up long enough to figured it out. Thinks it might be an ignition module......HELP!!!!!!!!! I want my car back.............
  • wcardwellwcardwell Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Toyota Corolla with 85K ,I have to put in 2 qt of oil every week. It doesn't have any signs of leaking so I'm assuming that it is burning the oil. Is this common and is this a serious problem? I have changed the oil every 3,000 miles since I have owned the vehicle
  • schoenmeyrschoenmeyr Member Posts: 1
    1999 Corolla 96k miles. Yesterday after starting (engine started running) the car I heard an unusual sound and turned the ignition off. the starter kept cranking. the only way I could stop it was to disconnect one of the battery cables. (took about 5 minutes to find tools). what could be the most likely problem? what would be the best way to trouble shoot. (the starter seems difficult to get at)
  • 99corollace99corollace Member Posts: 1
    1999 Corolla CE ~75k. I've been hearing a sound somewhere between a click and a knock when turning corners lately. Not to channel Fozzy the Bear, but it's kind of a 'wokka wokka' sound. At first I thought I just had a golf ball or something rattling around in the trunk but I still hear the sound after cleaning it out and it seems to be getting worse.

I'm going to take it to get looked at but am wondering if anyone has any theories?
    What kind of golf balls do you normally play?