Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kanukanu Member Posts: 19
    I drive 97 collora CE (3 trans auto) 101K. I notice that the car consume higher gas in last couple months, even after the engine oil changed. I drive the same route (50/50 highway/local), and use the same gas (Shell 87 Octane), same tire presure. I ususally got about 31mile/gal for couple years but now it is 27/gal. Do you know what cause that?

For more info. I have not bring my car to dealer for services since I bought in 2001. Just have the regular oil change every 3000 mile at Walmart, and always check all liquids.

Thank you,
  • 2kayak2kayak Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a 98 corolla 5 speed with 185 000 km. Went in for oil change (at 6k interval), dealer said there wasn't much oil left (~1 litre) They don't know where the oil went (no leaks, no signs of burning oil), and there were no warning lights on. Now the timing chain makes a rattle. Toyota said the engine was likely "oil starved" and the chain was subsequently damaged.

Does this make sense? Has anybody had a similar experience.

To prevent further damage I know I need to replace the chain. If the engine was low on oil, but no warning lights on, engine temp was fine, bit of a rough idle . . . is there likely to be other damage, i.e., valve or piston?

I'm tempted to have the timing chain replaced and then post a for sale sign.
  • vlanman25vlanman25 Member Posts: 49
    I have Integrity tires on my 2003 manual shift Corrola. I have 45,000 miles on them with only about 20% life left. I found they are OK in snow and rain not great. It's my intention to replace them before the snow flies around here in December as given their wear, I'd suspect I'd be looking for trouble trying to get another winter out of them.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give them a 6.

Regards and safe driving,

Ken
    I replaced a 1994 Cavalier with a 2003 Corrola and immediately noticed the cross wind issue (if you can call it that) especially if you are following a trailer truck doing 65 down the highway. It's never been more than a minor thing to me so I wouldn't let that stand in my way of getting one. I'm not sure 500 lbs. is much of a difference.

Ken
  • kalm2kalm2 Member Posts: 3
    yeah i guess. thanks for the help guys:)
  • vannamaevannamae Member Posts: 1
    My toyota only has 4K miles on it and doesn't start on the first try sometimes. I've taken it back to the dealer this will be my third time last time they kept it for 2 weeks and claimed to have fixed the problem but the next day it happened again. They replaced some fuel thing and tried the other key. Has anyone else experienced their new corolla not starting on the first try?
  • auburnfan3auburnfan3 Member Posts: 1
    I bought an '05 Corolla last week and since then, the check engine light has been on. I did the obvious and tightened the gas cap, but the light is still on. There was one 10 mile stretch where the light went out but when I restarted the car, there it was again. Any ideas on what else may be causing this problem?
  • bchristensenbchristensen Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a used Corolla and tried out a '94 with about 148k miles on it today. It has automatic transmission. It was in generally good condition, with one odd thing: right after starting the car, I shifted from park to drive and found that it took close to a full second for the transmission to kick in, and when it did it the car shuddered. No noise, but definite movement in the car. The same thing happened shifting from drive to reverse. No such problem when it shifts on the open road, at least nothing noticeable. Took the car to a mechanic and he seemed thoroughly unconcerned by it -- said that these cars often have a delay / slightly harsh shifting mechanism. Is that true? I didn't know this particular mechanic, so I wanted a second opinion before deciding whether to buy.
  • sdesde Member Posts: 42
    Anyone,

The driver's side power windows on our two '05 Toyotas work differently. On our '05 Highlander Limited, the "auto" function works both ways: down and up. On our '05 Corolla LE, it's only auto-down, not auto-up.

Does anyone know if there's a way I can make the Corolla also have "auto-up" on the driver's-side window?

Thanks so much!

SDE
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I don't think the Corolla has this feature, just the auto down. It's the same on my '03 Sentra and the wife's '05 Mazda 3.
    Check with the dealership, but I think it's working just the way it was intended. Your Highlander is a more upscale car and it makes sense it works both ways!

The Sandman :)
  • mrbillloupmrbillloup Member Posts: 1
    SCHOENMEYR,

I HAVE THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM WITH MY ' 97 COROLLA ONLY 1 HOUR AGO. WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM ?? THE SELENOID, STARTED OR THE IGNITION SWITCH. I APPRECIATE YOUR TIME.

THANKS,

BILL
    I haven't with my Corrola but a friend with a new Matrix has that problem and has a complaint filed with Toyota. Same exact scenario, they keep it for two weeks then give it back to him. He said there are three known causes, two of which Toyata has fixes for.

There is another board, I'm not sure of the name, that has loads of such complaints on it.

Good luck with yours. If I hear a solution, I'll post it.

Ken
  • rolling_sevensrolling_sevens Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I got a 1989 Corolla with the 1.6l 2bl. I race it up at the local speedway, and its been giving me a couple head aches. The track has steep banked corners, and as soon as I enter the corner the car flat out dies on me till i get it back on the straight, once i do it goes like a bat out of hell until i reach the next corner. It has seen some "wear and tear" to say the least, so there is a possibility of something being knocked loose.

There is also some hesitation when you get back on the gas, roughly 1 to 2 seconds, the timing may be out a tad but I have had no luck finding a timing procedure for this car.

Other then those two problems I am set. But if anyone knows which vacume lines can be plugged and what not, or any other little tips, tricks, and tweaks I would be glad to hear them, and remember it doesnt go on the street so anything goes.
    thanks in advance
  • alexp3alexp3 Member Posts: 1
    Just got my 2004 corolla with auto and noticed something this morning, when it idling the revs are uneven goes from 1000 to around 850 or so . Had 96 corolla and never experienced anything like that. The car only have 8K. Anybody have any idea to what causes it or it is ok?
  • reba05reba05 Member Posts: 36
    Thanks for the response! And yes I know about the issue with following the trailer-truck - my car bounces around terribly!
  • toguytoguy Member Posts: 20
    We have both the 2002 and 2003 corollas in our family; I drive the 2002 and my wife, the 2003. When, for whatever reason, I have to drive hers or she mine, the thing we notice the most is how much more composed the 2002 corolla is on the highway compared to the 2003, especially in windy conditions. With the 2003, 120 km/h (75 mph) seems to be the threshold to drive the 2003 safely on moderately windy days (slower in stronger wind), while I easily do 140 km/h (88 mph) in my 2002 in the same conditions without thinking twice about it.

The tall narrow body of the 2003 (and later) corolla does make the car particularly susceptible to cross winds, but that's the price to be paid for increased interior space.
  • sdesde Member Posts: 42
    Thanks, Sandman.

Here's a dumb question: is auto-up something that could be added to the driver's window somehow? It is a power window, after all... might the switch be rigged to add that functionality? If so, what sort of place might do that?

Thanks,

SDE
  • rolling_sevensrolling_sevens Member Posts: 2
    well heres what i did once, i rolled the window down, then i counted how long it took for window to roll up, then i went to an auto parts store and got a relay that opened for the same amount of time, or as close as possible. it worked perfectly for the time i had the car.
    hope that helps
  • rhjacksonrhjackson Member Posts: 2
    I can only provide sympathy. My 2003 Corolla, just out of warranty, has a failed rear door lock actuator, about $400. I bought this car new and it only has 33,000 miles. I am unimpressed with Corolla's famed reliability.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Any piece of machinery built by humans (all) have the chance that it will break, and with certainty will wear out with use eventually. Toyota's will have a MUCH lower probability of that occuring, but it can and will eventually happen. Just a question of when. Over 12years of driving Toyota's and I still purchase extended service programs for my Toyota's for exactly the circumstances that you're describing. For the small cost of the protection, it eliminates most of the headaches for unexpected failures.

Ken
  • poliva2poliva2 Member Posts: 25
    Asside from my wheel alignment, I must say that the Toyota Corolla is the finest piece of machinery on four wheels. I havent had one problem with my 99 Corolla. Its quiet, fast ( In overdrive) and reliable. Whats the secret?? Change the oil and all fluids. Take care of your Corolla and it will take care of you!!
  • poliva2poliva2 Member Posts: 25
    Thanks
  • where2turnwhere2turn Member Posts: 5
    Hello

I am glad you have no troubles with your corrolla. I have a "98" and have had its engine replaced. After it was eating alot of oil, they said the rings and seals had to be replaced. Much before all this it overheats and still does, replaced with 3 thermostats.The car is at 61,000 miles. I have always taken care of my car.
  • larrkelarrke Member Posts: 1
    Hello- My problem with my '94 Corolla Sedan is that somehow someone either forgot to put my windshield fluid resorvoir back or took it out on purpose. I've purchased a replacement container and cap, however when I hook it back up the system is not working. A hose was left there which I inserted into the replacement container. If this was a prank or malicious act, could this person have done some further damage to the hose system, or if a mechanic accidentally forgot to replace the container, is there anything I can do to ensure I'm properly hooked up to the system?

Does anyone have any advice on how to trouble shoot this, or a link to an online repair manual that addresses the windshield fluid distribution system and how to fix/replace it. Thanks so much. Also when I purchased my replacement part (from a Toyota parts dealer) the cap they sold me doesn't seem to fit - is this a common problem. Did they sell me the wrong part, or is it typical to have a problem with the cap. Should I just go to a chain store and get a universal cap, if there is such a thing? Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.
  • kat12kat12 Member Posts: 1
    I am new to this site and find it quite informative. I bought this car 2 months ago and expected a little bit better gas mileage...more like 30 or so in the city. I do all of the things the experts say to improve mpg...no jack rabbit starts, tire inflation etc...I am taking the car in tomorrow for 30,000 mile maintenance. Should I have them check something?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  • vjnvjn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Toyota Corolla. Since last 10 days my car is giving start problem. When I try to start the car, it gives one click noise and it doesn't start.

I have to do this 5 to 6 times and finally it starts. I would like to know if anyone saw this problem with their corolla. What is the root cause for this? How can I diagnose the problem.
    Thanks,
    Vijay
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Sounds like the starter solenoid to me. You can have just this replaced, it's cheaper than a complete starter motor. Any Toyota mechanic will be able to diagnose this quickly.
  • fencingcoachfencingcoach Member Posts: 1
    My 99 corolla's power windows intermittently stop working for a couple a minutes and then work. The problem happens sporadically (once every three weeks) Same thing has started happening with starting the car. I turn the key and the warning lights come on the radio works but the car won't turn over and start. A couple of minutes later I turn the key and the car starts. I'm wondering if this is a short in the system (perhaps related to an installed alarm) , problem with the car computer or a mechanical problem with the starter. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? Otherwise the car runs like a charm.

I appreciate any feedback. :confuse:
    Hello

I have a 98 Toyota Corolla, I had gone threw the same thing, I had to get a starter at 37,000 miles. Thank goodness for Toyota Extra Care, that covered a big part of the cost.
  • sppankisppanki Member Posts: 2
    1995 corolla 1.8 engine. Dies when you come to a stop. Will start with no problem, but idles very roughly when dropped into drive and will sometimes die. Will "flutter" while accelerating. Plugs, wires, and coil all replaced already. Fuel filter, pcv valve, and egr valve all checked or replace. No check engine lights and no codes. Pretty much at a loss now. Maybe a vacuum leak? Anyone have any ideas?
  • beernutbeernut Member Posts: 329
    It depends on the click noise. If its a "paper thin" clicking, it could be a relay or the solenoid. A heavier clicking might indicate the solenoid is trying to fire the starter but hasn't got the power (battery) or it is weak itself. If the "clicking" is firm and heavy the starter might be engaging but not turning due to low power (battery), a bad starter, or loose ground cable, etc. In other words, it could be many things.

How old is the battery? Have it load tested first and see if the cheap solution is the one for you.
  • tomrtomr Member Posts: 20
    Is there anyone out there that can help me with a problem with my power rear door locks? The buttons pop up 3/4 but the doors won't open. I tried to have the doors open with a shimmy no luck. This car has been great 285000 miles 1 alternator 1 battery and 1 radiator. Still I complain about having to put my suit jacket thru the rear window and not being able to have anyone sit in the rear seats.
  • amitheonlyoneamitheonlyone Member Posts: 2
    :mad: i have a corolla with 67 thousand mile it started burning oil on a trip lost in the move my slips for oil changes and i had no leak its a 2002 they say its all from us not changing the oil enough but i have had seven of these cars and got over 100 thousand plus no problem i had to replace the engine no one wanted to hear anything about it i just got bull from them where and how can i get them to pay for it they know the engine in these cars have a sludge build up problem but not as bad as other cars they make someone please help im at a dead end and this is not fair to us all that they can get away with doing nothing its been on going with this in the cars from 1995 i have looked in many places the problem is real for alot of people but they all do what i did let my money go back to the once again and im sick of getting the short end of the stick please help thanks :mad:
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Your post is really unreadable. Try using punctuation so we can understand it.
    Didn't we learn all this as a kid?

The Sandman :)
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    Wow! your post is a challenge to read with no punctuation and capitalization, but I gave it a shot.

I think I was able to decipher that you do not have oil change receipts (slips) because they were lost in a move. It is important for you to be able to prove that you properly maintained your car if you expect any reimbursement from Toyota. Corollas are not covered for some reason under the sludge policy, so it is a long shot anyway. Most places these days have electronic files and could probably recover your receipts if you call or write. It if was another Toyota dealership, your local dealer may even be able to call them up on their computer.
    Hello
    I know how you feel, I had to go through alot to try and tell Toyota that the cause of my car eating oil with no leaking had no said cause due to my lack of service on the car,I always had the car serviced on time for whatever was needed.To make a long story short, I had all my paperwork and they were given copies not the originals. Toyota paid for parts since the engine needed rings and seals replaced? But I had the bigger cost which was the labor. I still have problems with the car at times over heating,been back alot getting it serviced they still say nothing is wrong. I never was given my old parts back which I told them to do, how do I know the work was done. I wish you the best of luck !
  • murowamurowa Member Posts: 2
    I have 2005 Toyota Corolla LE
    When I start the car in the morning or after work I have problem with turn signal it happened six times, simply they do not work (no indication) for two three minutes then they come back and everything is OK. IT happened ones on the freeway for two minutes. Any advice.
  • tekkamtekkam Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, Im new to this forum, after extensive searching I came across this site. I am hoping someone can give me some valuable advice. I just recently bought a 1991 SR5, done about 103K miles, great condition. The pick up seems ok..its an automatic and I used to drive a Honda Prelude stick shift, and hence i assumed this is normal for a 4 cyl 1.6L engine automatic to have an ok pick up.

However, when i drove on the highway, i realized that the car although would cruise easily at 80Kmiles on a straight stretch, LACKED accelerationwhen the pedal was floored, there was literally no response with the rpm, and only when i take the overdrive off, the rmp Revs higher.

It seemed to be harder to overtake other vehicles as there was no acceleration, i.e. tyhe acceleration was very gradual. To be honest Im really upset at this time, wondering if I have been ripped off.

Can someone please advice me as to what might be wrong. I guess if I have an idea about what might be wrong, would give me a basis to approach a delearship or a mechanic so that I dont get ripped off

WOuld appreciate any comment. Thanks in advance

:sick:

ANXIOUS
  • tomzpritomzpri Member Posts: 33
    is there anyway to turn off the passenger seat air bag alarm? you can't put anything on the seat without the annoying alarm going off.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Buckle the seatbelt.
  • collegetomcollegetom Member Posts: 1
    Hello all! I have a 1997 Corolla 1.8L (7AFE) that has approx. 130,000 miles with the original timing belt and water pump. This came to my attention a week ago, after the car was looked over at a repair shop as part of a oil change/15 point inspection. The original owners confirmed that they hadn’t replaced the belt or water pump for the 115,000 miles they owned it before selling it to me. I am mechanically inclined and am interested in performing the belt replacement myself. Does anyone have some pointers on this type of repair? I am currently ordering a timing belt component kit (belt, tensioner), water pump and crank/camshaft end seals. I have a wide assortment of hand tools at my disposal and a couple of floor jacks. The job seems fairly large and I am a little nervous to tear into my beloved car without any prior experience with this kind of job. If anyone can spare the time, a step by step would be really appreciated.
    For those who can help, I will be forever in your debt.
  • sme1972sme1972 Member Posts: 1
    hey,
    I have a 92 corolla wagon.
    Recently a clicking noise has started when I turn corners in both directions. It only happens when I am accelerating around the corner in 1st gear (It doesn't happen if I am coasting around a corner or if I am accelerating faster in a higher gear than 1st). It also does it when in reverse and pushing the gas and turning the car.
    I notice it most when i am coming out of parking lots and driveways.

What is this and how much does it usually cost to fix and how long can I continue to drive it the way it is.. I checked the power steering fluid level and it is fine.
  • brokenzippy1brokenzippy1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have an 85 Corolla with 240,000 miles. The engine was rebuilt 3 years ago, the distributor was replaced 2 years ago and the gas tank replaced 2 weeks ago.
    While driving on the highway last week it was running fine but then it jerked like it wasn't getting any gas. About 10 minutes later it spluttered and stalled. It would start after that but I would have to keep the gas floored for it to run.
    I had it towed to the nearest garage and the service guy said it was the distributor and replaced the cap. I don't think he's right and the car doesn't work any better with the new cap.
    I'm thinking the problem is a plugged fuel line, fuel pump, or something wrong with the carburator.
    Does anyone have any ideas about what it could be and what it might cost to repair?
    I'm in my last year of college and have to rely on "zippy" for nine more months. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • tjdepere2004tjdepere2004 Member Posts: 40
    Anyone think to change the fuel filter?
  • corolla06corolla06 Member Posts: 1
    have a 96 Corolla I just reinstalled my speakers, and when i was finished i noticed my blinkers wouldnt work. Does anyone know what i could do?
  • jiismjiism Member Posts: 2
    Hi Vijay,

I am not car expert, but know little about this problem. This may be caused by several reasons:

+ Car Starter is bad.
    + Car needs tune up - e.g. change spark plugs.
    + Battary may be near the end of life.

Shukriya,
    Jiism
  • jiismjiism Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I would appreciate any help. I have '91 Corolla w/ about 147K miles on it. Recently, my car battery died. I replaced it w/ new one from Walmart. However, after installation, the sensor lights for battery and break started to remain on while driving. Exchanged another one from Walmart. Still the same problem. Both were compatible w/ '91 Corolla. Returned both.

Later, I purchased it from Toyota dealer and installed it myself.
    Now, the sensor lights for battery and break stays on most of the time when I drive the car. Every once in a while during driving, the sesor lights go off (haven't found any patter yet on when), but most of the time they remain on while driving.

What could be causing this problem? It seems like some electrical system problem in the car. But, I'd like to find from experts here what could be causing this and hoping to save some $$s on diagnostics cost.

Thanks very much for help.

Regards,
    jissm
  • donnie2494donnie2494 Member Posts: 14
    i had the same problem with my 05 corolla. an intermittant clicking noise coming from the
    brake pedal. the dealer told me it was coming from the brakes themselves because they were new and tight and it was completely normal. thinking this was b.s i crawled under the dash and lubricated the moving parts of the brake pedal assembly with a dab of white lithium grease and this took car of the problem. there was a some lubrication on the moving parts of the assembly from the factory but apparently not enough.
  • beernutbeernut Member Posts: 329
    Same problem on my 05. After many "that's normal" discussions, they replaced the brake pedal yoke and push rod since both were "mis-shapened" from the factory. No problem since.

Keep an eye on it, though. Grease may be a temporary fix and you'd hate to find that out at 36,001 miles.
  • donnie2494donnie2494 Member Posts: 14
    thanx for the info