Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    The EPA rating is a "score" that includes a weighted average of Air Pollution Score, the Greenhouse Gas Score, and Fuel Economy estimates.

That is true, but you can see each score individually. The Air Pollution Score is based on the output of air-pollution (NOx, NMOG, CO, PM, HCHO) and the Ody is ahead in Air Pollution score over any of the Dodge engines.

Can anyone provide the source (a link would be nice) showing these actual pollutant numbers? Besides Edmunds (no offense, but I doubt they're the government source.....)
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Perhaps they should've done more in the power train, but in all honesty...despite complaints from some...both V6 motors are better than good and more than equal to competitors power plants of 10 years ago. Chrysler has a long conservative history when it comes to engines. The "LA" series of V8s (273, 318, 340, 360)were the longest serving engines in North America and they performed admirably for all the years they were in production, although the 318 and 360 were upgraded quite a bit in the 1980s (Magnum versions).

The current V6s still have some life on them, and although being characterized as "less refined" than Asian designs, they perform well and still an adequate motor for a mini-van. When you're spending 170 million to revamp the mini-van platform, another 200 million for a new engine design, which by the way takes a lot longer to develop correctly than a vehicle platform, the money dictates what you're going to do.

I suspect that Chrysler is working on another joint venture motor series with Mitzi as we speak.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • socalawdsocalawd Member Posts: 542
    This all seems like a midlife update to me. Thats what I've sen from anyone else says, I didn't even see DCX say it was a redesign!

What's New for 2005
    The Town & Country gets revised styling, a handful of new features, a much lower base price and -- oh yeah, the Stow 'n Go fold-flat second- and third-row seating system.

See revised. I Rest my case!
    As officially adopted by the U.S. Army, the Jeep was the design of the Willys-Overland Corporation at the onset of World War II, although American Bantam was the first submitter of what we know as the "jeep" concept. Kaiser Motors obtained Willys-Overland in 1953, and hence the Jeep name and manufacturing. AMC (formerly Nash) acquired the Jeep when they purchased Kaiser in 1960. For the record, Ford made the majority of the wartime Jeeps. Willys failed to get the Jeep contract and instead built a small trailer for the Jeep. After the end of the war Willys made Jeeps again. It's also a little hard to refer to AMC as the last of the independents, being the grand child of Nash, Willys-Overland, Studebaker, and then finally being owned by Renault.

Yeah I watched a show on the discovery channel about it. I wasn't thinking, at least hari was wrong. American Bantam played by the rules(I think it was engine size and wieght) and got pounded by Willy. Once the goverment saw the willy they were like what criteria!!
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Let's not talk anymore about who owns whom, who designed what, or who's causing job losses -- those topics are better suited to the News & Views Forum. Please stick to the topic, which is a comparison between the Odyssey and Dodge/Chrysler minivans.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    "True, it was not a complete re-design, but to say only the headlights were changed slightly is as irresponsible as the written portion of CR vehicle tests"

READ my post again...I never said the headlights were the ONLY change made to the 2005. It was just an example of the slight redesign, not a TOTAL redesign!!!
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    now, let's go ask terry what a 02 T&C and a 02 ody can bring in.... :D
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    :confuse: This message is also posted at Odyssey Problems
    This question includes the Odyssey 1999 to 2004 but includes all other vechicles in this time range.
    I would like to know how many transmission failures that have been recorded for all makes of vechicles (1999 - 2004) where the number was substantial?
    The postees in Edmunds jump all over the Odyssey but what about the Tord Windstar, Chrevrolet 'NOX, Sienna, BMW, Dodge Caravan, etc.
    Thanks for your help.
    ps: Some people in the industries could have this info.
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    This message is also posted at Odyssey Problems
    This question includes the Odyssey 1999 to 2004 but includes all other vechicles in this time range.
    I would like to know how many transmission failures that have been recorded for all makes of vechicles (1999 - 2004) where the number was substantial?
    The postees in Edmunds jump all over the Odyssey but what about the Tord Windstar, Chrevrolet 'NOX, Sienna, BMW, Dodge Caravan, etc.
    Thanks for your help.
    ps: Some people in the industries could have this info.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    A warning has already beem posted about off-topic and disruptive posts. We already have other Forums where you can continue discussing these issues:

Smart Shopper Forum, where you can talk about resale values, leasing, and choosing the right car for you.
    Prices Paid & Buying Experience Forum, where you can find out about the deals other members have gotten.

Any further disruptive posts will be removed.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Better yet, just look at Edmunds Used Car Pricing or some of the others available online. ;) .... and then remember, all used car numbers are just rough estimates. :blush:
  • tomp19tomp19 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to purchase either an '05 Grand Caravan SXT w/ Leather or an '05 Honda Ody. EX-L.

It seems like the 2 are very similar, which is making the decision very difficult.

The key issue that I have is safety for the kids (3 and 4 years old).

When test driving the Grand Caravan, I noticed that the seat belt, in the third row, didn't snuggly fit accross my 4 year old's chest when sitting in a booster seat. It seemed like the connector on the side of the van was too far forward so that there was actually a small gap between his chest and the seat belt.

Has anyone else seen / noticed this problem? I didn't see any way to adjust the belt to make it fit better. This may be a show stopper for the Caravan.

Also, I couldn't find any information on the side air bags on the GC as far as do they have rollover sensors? Honda specifically lists that they have this feature, but the the GC doesn't seem to address the issue.

I guess I'm just looking for a reason to support my purchase. The incentives to buy the Grand Caravan are pretty high this week, but ultimately, I can't do it if the Honda is a safer van to drive.

Overall, I'm surprised at what I've found so far. The vehicles are very comparable. I even liked the handling on the Grand Caravan a little better, which shocked me based on everything that I've read ahead of time.

Thanks for any input / feedback.
    Based on safety tests here: Caravan Test and here Odyssey Test it would be a stretch to say the Dodge was safer than the Honda.

Then there's the govt. tests: caravan test ody test

They both received 5-stars and generally the Ody had better actual tests scores. The only issue with the Ody was the driver door unlatching/opening during the side impact test. Doesn't effect the rating but could under the right situation cause a problem. I have a feeling Honda is working on this as there's been rumored a recall coming that effects all '05 models. Nobody will say what the problem is yet as it's an internal recall by Honda with no NHTSA involvement. Even with the door issues, the Ody had very good injury ratings, with the Head Injury Criterion being significantly lower than the Caravans.

In addition, the Ody has stability control which is not offered on the Caravan. Just a look at rollover deaths/injuries between vehicles equipped and not-equipped with stability control should tell you it's an important feature. A good article here concerning stability control IIHS Article

A tidbit from the article on stability equipped vehicles: "NHTSA reported a 35 percent reduction in single-vehicle crash risk for cars and a 67 percent reduction for SUVs. Fatal single-vehicle crashes were reduced about 30 percent (cars) and 63 percent (SUVs)." Most vans are between cars/suvs in terms of rollover potential, so you could say there's a 50% reduction with stability control on minivans. Significant in my book.
    GC SXT would be much safer since the Ody handles like a sports car and you would be too tempted to drive it irresponsibly.
    We who own DC minivans realize they are NOT sports cars and drive them within their known handling limits. ;)
    The leather in the Ody is much nicer than the leather in a GC SXT although it will cost you $5,000 or $6,000 more for the Ody because Honda discounts are much less than DaimlerChrysler and Honda does not give the Employee Discount like DaimlerChrysler and other manufacturers. :cry:
    so now the ody has a clear margin over the GC in the handling department? It's never the car, it's the person behind the wheel.

If it were not for the vsc (I've experienced it a few times while driving another car and I live in the snowy NE), I would be very tempted to look for a USED SXT.
    I would be very tempted to look for a USED SXT.

Yes, used is an excellent way to buy one. Looks like you can save about $4,000 on an '05 SXT with 10k miles if you snag one off of ebay. And that's off of todays employee pricing! If I didn't have to have the latest/greatest new thing and just needed a minivan....that would be the way to go.
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    When test driving the Grand Caravan, I noticed that the seat belt, in the third row, didn't snuggly fit accross my 4 year old's chest when sitting in a booster seat. It seemed like the connector on the side of the van was too far forward so that there was actually a small gap between his chest and the seat belt.

For the age of your kids, they should be setting in the second row and not the third row for safety. Did you try the second row seats too? As for the 05 Dodge side curtain air bags, they do not have rollover sensors like the 05 Ody. Nor does it have the VSC like the Ody. One thing that the 05 Dodge has, and not the 05 Ody., that would probably be used more often then not, when you have kids, is the battery protection feature. What this feature does is protect the battery from being drained from an unexpected interior light being left on or if one of the doors wasn't closed all the way. Another safety feature that I like on the Dodge is the power door sensors. It only takes 2lbs of pressure to have the doors/liftgate to reverse if it encounters an object. Also, there are pinch sensors on both sides of the rear liftgate. The power doors on the Dodge are easier to open and close when you don't use the power feature. :shades:
    Also, I couldn't find any information on the side air bags on the GC as far as do they have rollover sensors? Honda specifically lists that they have this feature, but the the GC doesn't seem to address the issue.

Honda has standard side airbags with roll over protection/Dodge is optional and no rollover protection. Honda has VSA which is in my book a must have option for the safety feature for those of us who are obsessed with safety. The IIHS article is only a small study but if you can get 20% of what they think they can get I don't know what that's worth!

I guess I'm just looking for a reason to support my purchase. The incentives to buy the Grand Caravan are pretty high this week, but ultimately, I can't do it if the Honda is a safer van to drive.

Overall, I'm surprised at what I've found so far. The vehicles are very comparable. I even liked the handling on the Grand Caravan a little better, which shocked me based on everything that I've read ahead of time.

The Caravan has softer feel the Odyssey has a little more feedback from the tighter suspention. The GC equally equipted should be about 3 grand less. I really like the interior of my Odyssey! I have the EX-L with RES the kids love it!! As for the handling it scored well(above average, the DGC scored average) in accident aviodance from CR. The best way not to get hurt in a accident is not to get into one. Have a great day. These kinds of decisions can be rough. Ethier way a minivan is one of the safest and most enjoyable(space and comfort)ways for a family to get around!
  • tomp19tomp19 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the feedback. We're leaning heavily towards the GC, even though I feel that the Honda is maybe a tad safer. My wife really prefers the features on the Caravan and she'll be the primary driver. I'll be honest with you guys...when taking several test drives, it didn't feel like I'd be avoiding a whole lot of accidents in either van as I'm used to driving a 2 door sports car :D

What I'm really finding in all this is that I should have bought my family a minivan about 4 years ago as they're one of the safer things on the road.

I'll post our final decision soon as I suspect that I'll buy something before the end of the weekend!
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    I am sure you might find the Honda a tad more safer than the Dodge, although minivans on a whole are pretty safe vehicles. If getting the safest van on the road is your top priority, buy the Honda. If safety is a concern, plus the convenience of having a minivan that has lots of room, gobs of storage and seats that you can stow so your ready to haul anything that comes up, than consider the Dodge. It just means what is more important to you and how you want to use your van. Only you can decide that. No one knows your mind.
  • hraohrao Member Posts: 78
    Both Honda and Dodge are good safe minivans, with side curtain airbags, 5 Star crash test rating ( only 10% change of injury ) , Rear parking sensor , ABS, Traction control and many other features.
    On the NHTSA crash test , 2005 Honda odyssey door popped out, I am sure Honda is working on a fix for 2006, but sometimes, my kids do not wear their seat belt and run around in the minivan. If your kids are used to running around in the van this could be a safety concern.
    Otherwise both vans are good, Dodge could be $7K cheaper with Employee price sale.
    2005 Honda odyssey door popped out, I am sure Honda is working on a fix for 2006, but sometimes, my kids do not wear their seat belt and run around in the minivan. If your kids are used to running around in the van this could be a safety concern.

If you let your children run around in the van. You got way more issues then a driver door popping open from a side impact! Please put your seat belts on most studies show this alone decreases death rates by 50%. Whatever you buy please put the price in the prices paid post! I like the VSA and the better ride handling of my Odyssey(But it is a minivan after all) If your wife is happy you will have a better experience!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Actually, the door didn't "pop out" I saw the photo and it looked like it only opened a bit.

Shouldn't affect a belted in passenger.

I have to say this...sorry...but...how in the world can you be worried about safety and crash test ratings and still allow your kids to "run around" in the van??

:confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    "but sometimes, my kids do not wear their seat belt and run around in the minivan"

Ahh, you're being to strict hrao. I let my kids climb out the window and play on the luggage rack. But, absolutely allow no horseplay at speeds above 55mph as this could be dangerous for young children and toddlers.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    "my kids do not wear their seat belt and run around in the minivan."

Unless your kids are in their teens, this is illegal in many states
    DETROIT -- Honda Motor Co. Ltd. will recall 85,154 2005 model year Odyssey minivans in the United States to fix potential problems with their frontal air bag systems, federal safety regulators said on Wednesday.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said the problem stemmed from two external impact sensors that may have been insufficiently sealed during the manufacturing process.

If water enters the sensor corrosion can occur, possibly causing a short circuit, NHTSA said.

It added that front impact sensor failure could cause a delay in or loss of frontal air bag deployment, increasing the risk of injury in a crash.

The Honda recall is expected to begin on Aug, 29, NHTSA said.
    July has been hot for Minivan sales for both Odyssey and specially T&C.
    T&C registered a wopping 87% sales increase, with Odyssey being 18%
    Minivans are here to stay.
    *********************2005*****2004
    *********************July******July
    Town & Country***21,655 11,558 87%
    Odyssey***********17,216 15,134 18%
    Caravan*************23,969 18,284 36%
    Year to date********2005******2004
    Town & Country****122,293 82,872 48%
    Caravan*************150,239 149,651 0%
    Odyssey ***********105,091 91,218 16.5%
    Chrysler Total*******272532

Honda Sales
    Chrysler Sales
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    So does this make a total of 4 recalls for the vastly superior Honda??

Of course this doesn't effect ALL Oddys so it's not a big deal.
  • minivanguyminivanguy Member Posts: 85
    I agree, I've owned a 2003 T&C LXI and 2004 Limited with nav. My friend drives a 2005 suzuki forenza, and the T&C drives and feels way better. :)
  • minivanguyminivanguy Member Posts: 85
    I know this is off topic, but did chrysler ever fix the tailgate problem. I've owned 2 T&C's a 2003 & 2004. I noticed in both vans when the tailgate electronically goes down and I start the simultaneously the tailgate slams shut hard is like the hydrolic pump gives out. The same happens if I start the van and push the button to lift the tailgate at almost the same time. Or was I just experiencing that with my 2 vans. Oh, btw I own a 2005 ODY Touring and I can't duplicate the same problem. I'm not trying to bash Chrysler or Dodge vehicles. I think those are the best riding and looking vehicles. I'm just curious, and I don't know any other place to post this message. :(
    WOW...That Employee Pricing gimmick really moved out the 2005 minivans. Who would have thought that the Town & Country would be the 2nd best selling minivan even though everyone knew that Caravan/Grand Caravan would be best selling minivan for the 21st consecutive year? ;)
    BTW, do you have the numbers for the Sienna?
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    know this is off topic, but did chrysler ever fix the tailgate problem. I've owned 2 T&C's a 2003 & 2004. I noticed in both vans when the tailgate electronically goes down and I start the simultaneously the tailgate slams shut hard is like the hydrolic pump gives out. The same happens if I start the van and push the button to lift the tailgate at almost the same time.

I haven't noticed any slaming of the electric tailgate on my 2005, although I have never tried to open or close it at the same time I start the van. Not sure why I would want to do both at the same time.
    So does this make a total of 4 recalls for the vastly superior Honda??

I never said the odyssey was superior! That was always you. BTW I've seen you say that if the price was the same you would have bought the Ody(Doesn't that mean it's better LOL). I'm sure you'll change your mind now! Hey my first recall on the Honda(Oh wait I'm not affected!). My 2001 Caravan had 2 that I had to get fixed. Plus 4 non scheduled visits(one was a airbag light on for a clockspring assembly problem). I'll get back to you when I have 6 unscheduled visits in the first 3 years!

BTW here is all the info on this recall. Hope your not affected! Got this from a Honda dealer so I hope its good!

July 30, 2005
    05-035
    Applies To: 2005 Odyssey –
    From VIN 5FNRL38..5B400001 thru 5FNRL38..5B409694
    From VIN 5FNRL38..5B000001 thru 5FNRL38..5B075678

Safety Recall: Front Impact Sensor Corrosion Causes the SRS Indicator to Stay On
    BACKGROUND
    Some front impact sensors were insufficiently sealed
    during manufacturing. If corrosion occurs, the sensors
    could short-circuit. If one or both sensors fail, the SRS
    indicator will stay on. Front impact sensor failure could
    cause a delay in or loss of front airbag deployment,
    which can increase the risk of injury in a frontal crash.
    CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
    All owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification
    of this campaign. An example of the customer
    notification will be provided in a revised version of this
    service bulletin.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
    Replace both front impact sensors.
    PARTS INFORMATION
    Front Impact Sensor (Two required):
    P/N 77930-SHJ-P81, H/C 8019911
    Not to name names, but there are many Honda guys on here with this "Better than thou" attitude, making up excuses after excuses, trying to spin problems and recalls as "good things".

I can't vouch for your problems/issues with the DCX vans you've owned. Based on just this forum alone, it's looking like a really bad 1st model year Honda to buy.

All things being equal, I would have purchased an Oddy just to have the latest toy on the block, and sometimes it's not good being first. Hopefully Honda gets their act together for 2006 in quality, hopefully Dodge does some nice upgrades for 2006, and let the free market rule!!!
    In the 3 months we have owned our T&C, we are very pleased so far. But, to be completely honest, everytime I see a new Ody on the streets I feel slightly jealous. It is a very good looking van!!
  • muddyriverduckmuddyriverduck Member Posts: 18
    "but sometimes, my kids do not wear their seat belt and run around in the minivan"

Ahh, you're being to strict hrao. I let my kids climb out the window and play on the luggage rack. But, absolutely allow no horseplay at speeds above 55mph as this could be dangerous for young children and toddlers.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!
  • muddyriverduckmuddyriverduck Member Posts: 18
    If purchase price and features were exactly the same, would you buy a Dodge or Honda??
    Ahhhhh "Oddy Envy".....very common but think of the $$$$$ you saved, then think of the recalls and problems the Oddy owners are having. Remember, it's just a Minivan!
    All things being equal, I would have purchased an Oddy just to have the latest toy on the block, and sometimes it's not good being first.

Ahhh, but sometimes it's good being first! Although I must admit I didn't spring for one until April. I generally won't buy a first-year redesign because even Honda/Toyota will have above average problems on a major redesign. I gave Honda six-months as I know their manufacturing processes catch "issues" earlier than most. Ours has had zero of the issues mentioned in these forums and isn't effected by the recall. From another site, the recall appears to only effect those built through January. Our mpg is in the 19-23mpg range, which isn't much off what I expected. I generally run well above the speed limit. In the mean time we're fully enjoying:

-The NAV is one of the best I've used, better than the Nav in my wifes Lexus

-Very comfy seats in all positions (t&c stow-n-go's seem to compromise comfort and 3rd row leg-room is blocked under the seats). We've had 6 footers in the 3rd row actually comment it was quite roomy.

-Back-up camera is a nice touch, got used to this in the wifes Lexus and the Honda camera is actually better IMHO.

-The entertainment system is top-shelf; bigger screens, separate players for everything, voice activation for climate/audio, touch screens.

-Sliding/folding 2nd row makes access to 3rd row very easy even with plus-1 seat

-Power/ride/handling is an excellent combination. We live out in the boonies and it's nice not to wallow around when carving through the twisties.

-Use the 8th passenger seat (plus-1) all the time; too bad you can't get that on the touring as I would have rather bought that model.

-I've got side curtain airbags and sunroof....not sure why T&C couldn't come with both :confuse:
    Hmmmm don't think I'd call it a gimmick, at least what I'm seeing in Detroit and online here...people saving $7000+ on DCX vans. That's close to what I got in Dec using friend's employee price and all rebates.

I think we're seeing a major shake up in automotive world...where vehicles are going to be priced closer to their actual value, without the markups and games that are normal. No more $10,000 profit on SUVs etc!!! Sorta what Saturn tried but failed at since their cars weren't worth the no dicker sticker.
    IF price AND features were the exact same...I believe we would have a new Odyssey in the garage. But, back in the real world, we saved a substantial amount of money on our T&C over it's competitors.
    True, but I tried anyway!! :D
    July Sales with Sienna included.
    July has been hot for Minivan sales for both Odyssey and specially T&C.
    T&C registered a wopping 87% sales increase, with Odyssey being 18%
    Minivans are here to stay.

************************2005*******2004
    *************************July********July
    Town & Country*****21,655****11,558**87%
    Odyssey*************17,216****15,131**18%
    Caravan**************23,966****18,284**36%
    SIENNA**************18,293****13,290**42%
    Chrysler Total********45,621

Year to date********2005******2004
    Town & Country******122,293***82,872**48%
    Caravan***************150,239***149,651**0%
    Odyssey *************105,091***91,218**16.5%
    SIENNA***************96,357****99,592**-2.2%
    Chrysler Total*******272,532

Company which invented Minivans is still the segment leader.
    DaimlerChryler AG can now take credit for
    Inventing
    First Automobile ( Benz )
    First 4X4 - Jeep Willys
    First Minivan
    First Real wheel drive
    yes sireeeee, if i can pick up a sxt equipped like the ody ex for $19k, DC would have had my business.
    2005 ODYSSEY might also have a brake problem, Honda does not want to acknowledge the problem, but could be an issue for the company in the near future.

Below are few complaints filed with NHTSA.

Make : HONDA Model : ODYSSEY Year : 2005
    Manufacturer : HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.)
    Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
    ODI ID Number : 10128694 Number of Deaths: 0
    Date of Failure: July 11, 2005
    VIN : 5FNRL38645B...
    Component: SERVICE BRAKES, AIR
    Summary:
    I PURCHASED A NEW 2005 HONDA ODYSSEY EX-L IN DECEMBER 2004, AND I HAVE EXPERIENCED MULTIPLE INCIDENTS IN WHICH THE BRAKES MAKE A VERY LOUD GRINDING NOISE WITH MEDIUM HARD BRAKING. THE GRINDING HAS NOT RESULTED IN ANY APPARENT LOSS OF BRAKING ABILITY OR LOSS OF CONTROL HOWEVER THIS IS A CONCERN TO ME SINCE I DRIVE WITH A 5 YEAR OLD IN MY CARE. I TOOK THE ODYSSEY TO THE SERVICE CENTER IN MAY O5 FOR THIS ISSUE AND THEY REPLACED THE BRAKE PADS AND RESURFACED THE ROTORS. AGAIN THIS MONTH (JULY) I NOTICED THE PROBLEM AGAIN, I TOOK IT IN TWO DAYS AGO AND HONDA REFUSES TO FIX THE PROBLEM SAYING THAT I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL SEPTEMBER TO HAVE THE ISSUE RESOLVED. THEY TELL US THAT THEY WON'T HAVE THE PARTS IN UNTIL THEN. I FEEL THAT THEY ARE AVOIDING THE FIXING THE PROBLEM AS TO AVOID THE LEMON LAW SINCE THIS IS THEIR SECOND TIME FIXING THIS PROBLEM. I HAVE BROUGHT THE VEHICLE IN FOR SEVERAL OTHER ISSUES BEFORE THIS SUCH AS BROKEN CD PLAYER....SLOW DRAINING OF BATTERY, AND PROBLEMS WITH DVD AND VEHICLE INTERIOR. OVERALL I AM VERY CONCERERNED WHEN MY CAR IS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE BRAKES AND THIS COMPANY REFUSES TO FIX THE PROBLEM.....I AM SCARED TO DRIVE THIS VEHICLE BUT DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY FOR A RENTAL UNTIL SEPTEMBER.

Check to Request Research. Submit below.

Make : HONDA Model : ODYSSEY Year : 2005
    Manufacturer : HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.)
    ODI ID Number : 10129616 Number of Deaths: 0
    Date of Failure: July 17, 2005
    VIN : 5FNRL382X5B...
    Component: PARKING BRAKE:DRIVELINE:HYDRAULIC:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
    Summary:
    BRAKE AND TRANSMISSION FAILURE OF HONDA ODYSSEY WE LEASED A 2005 HONDA ODYSSEY FROM HONDA WEST IN LAS VEGAS ON THE 21ST OF JUNE 2005. THIS IS 2005 MODEL. THE VIN # IS: 5FNRL382X5B097321 IN A WEEK, WE FOUND A DEFECTIVE BRAKE THAT WAS CAUSING A SIGNIFICANT PROBLEM TO STOP THE CAR. I IMMEDIATELY INFORMED THE DEALER AND IT APPEARED THEY DID NOT PAY THAT MUCH ATTENTION. I MYSELF WAS VERY CONFUSED AS I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT HONDA MAKES ONE OF THE SAFEST CARS IN THE WORLD. MY WIFE IS THE PRIMARY DRIVER AND SHE IS A 1ST YEAR RESIDENT AT THE UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER, LAS VEGAS, NV. AFTER WORKING SHE WAS DRIVING THE CAR TO HOME AND SHE TRIED TO STOP THE CAR AT RED LIGHT AND THE CAR DID NOT STOP. SHE RAN RED LIGHT AND BY THE GRACE OF GOD A DISASTROUS ACCIDENT WAS AVOIDED. THIS IS A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH. SO, SHE WENT TO THE DEALER IMMEDIATELY AND THEY WERE NOT POLITE AND WERE NOT IN A POSITION TO LOOK INTO THE PROBLEM. HOWEVER, SHE FORCED THEM TO LOOK INTO IT AND AFTER TWO DAYS OF INVESTIGATION THEY FOUND THAT THE BRAKE WAS NOT INSTALLED PROPERLY AT THE MANUFACTURING PLANT. THE TRANSMISSION ALSO HAS THE SIMILAR KIND OF PROBLEM, WHEN TRYING TO ACCELERATE WILL NOT ACCELERATE BUT WHEN TRYING TO PUSH THE BRAKE WILL ACCELERATE. WE HAVE ALREADY INFORMED AMERICAN HONDA AND UNFORTUNATELY THEY WILL NOT LISTEN. THE CAR IS STILL WITH THE DEALER. AS A RESPONSIBLE CITIZEN OF THE COUNTRY I FEEL OBLIGATED TO LET YOU KNOW THE SAFETY ISSUE OF HONDA. IT IS IRONIC THAT THE AMERICAN CAR MANUFACTURERS EASILY ADMIT THEIR SAFETY PROBLEM WHEREAS THE JAPANESE MAKERS WILL NOT ADMIT SUCH BECAUSE OF BUSINESS ISSUE. MY QUESTION IS: WHICH ONE SHOULD COME FIRST THE SAFETY OF THE CITIZENS OR THE MONEY? I WILL HIGHLY APPRECIATE THAT YOU LOOK INTO THIS MATTER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE TO PREVENT A DISASTROUS ACCIDENT ELSE WHERE IN THE COUNTRY. I HOPE THAT NO ONE HAS TO EITHER DIE OR INJURED BEFORE THE INVESTIGATION STARTS. SINCERELY, MAMUN AHMED
    Why must we play these games?? Now it looks like Dodge is have a big problem with A/C condensors as well. Huh! There's a couple engines replaced at low miles as well, must be a major problem!

Make : DODGE Model : GRAND CARAVAN Year : 2005
    Manufacturer : DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION
    ODI ID Number : 10125189 Number of Deaths: 0
    Date of Failure: May 8, 2005
    VIN : Not Available
    Component: EQUIPMENT
    Summary:
    PURCHASED A 2005 DOGE GRAND CARAVAN FROM BOB CALDWELL DODGE DEALERSHIP ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO. A LITTLE OVER A MONTH OF HAVING THE VEHICLE THE AIR CONDITIONING JUST STOP PUTTING OUT COOL AIR AND WE NOTICEDS SOME SPOTS OF SOMETHING LEAKING IN THE DRIVE WAY. WE TOOK THE VEHICHLE BACK TO THE DEALERSHIP WHERE WE PURCHASED AND THEY INDICATED THAT A STONE OR ROCK HAD WENT THROUGH THE AIR CONDITIONER'S COMPRESSOR. THERE WAS NOTHING THEY COULD DO AND IT WOULD BE $800+ TO FIX IT. THEY INDICATED ALSO THAT WE WEREN'T THE FIRST AND THAT BECAUSE OF THE DESIGN AND THE PLACEMENT OF THE COMPRESSOR THAT WE WON'T BE THE LAST AND EVEN IF WE FIX IT, IT WILL PROBABLY HAPPEN AGAIN. WE CALLED DODGE DIRECTLY AND THEY SPOKE WITH THE DEALERSHIP AND AGREED THAT THIS WAS NOT SOMETHING THAT THEY WOULD CONSIDERED UNDER ANY WARRANTY AND DENIED TO COVER THE PAYMENT OF THE SERVICES. WE CALLED AROUND LOCALLY TO OTHER DEALERSHIPS AND THERE WAS A TOTAL OF 5 IN LESS THEN ONE WEEK AND ALL AGREE THAT IS WAS SOME SORT OF DESIGN/PLACEMENT FLAW AND THAT THIS WOULD CONTINUE TO HAPPEN. WE COULD ATTACH A SCREEN PROTECTION SOMEHOW TO THE FRONT TO PROTECT THE COMPRESSOR BUT STILL NO GUARENTEES.
    Sure, every manufacturer may have problem vehicles but when CR, C&D, Edmunds, and many experts ANNOINT the Odyssey THE BEST minivan many of the common people wonder :sick:
    Meanwhile, the barely acceptable DC minivans just keep outselling all the competition. ;)
    The best rated vehicles rarely are the best sellers. Name the last comparison the Ford Explorer won, yet they sell about twice as many as Dodge sells T&C/Caravans. Price and fleet sales move vehicles.

Don't fret though, the DC vans have made some top 10 lists this year Top 10 Worst Residual Values
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Well, they might have gotten a stone "through" their condensor, but I highly doubt it got through their AC COMPRESSOR like they posted!
    Sure, every manufacturer may have problem vehicles but when CR, C&D, Edmunds, and many experts ANNOINT the Odyssey THE BEST minivan many of the common people wonder
    Meanwhile, the barely acceptable DC minivans just keep outselling all the competition.

Hey I don't work for any of those companies. So why make it seem if someone buys a Honda they are snobs! As far as what people buy, the minivan market share used to be almost all DCX what did they get last year 33%? Also there is what you want(Edmunds most wanted by a LARGE margin and the only minivan 10th place as the most researched in the top 50) and what you buy. Honda production isn't there yet! They take a slow as you go approach like Toyota. Why would you want to get rid of you 2002 T&C that thing should be the best van ever and with DCX's ledgendary quality and reliability should run forever!
This discussion has been closed.