Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'm afraid this car is a goner. You can buy a very nice 1990 Corolla for less than the cost to repair all this damage.
  • dkeaniedkeanie Member Posts: 16
    I need to use both hands to open my boot, could it be because it the spoiler? I thought the gas struts were supposed to assist when opening the boot they don't on mine, it does hold the boot open. Are the struts supposed to assist I have a 1995 Corolla CD.
  • blazer01blazer01 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Just Bought 90 For My 20Year Daughter Would You Sell Me Your Owner Manual Also What Is Little Button On Left Side Of Shift Lever My Daughter Got Hit And Run Thats Why I Bought This Car Sorry About Your Car Thanks Robert
    Does Any One Know About How Much A Timing Belt Cost To Replace 1.6 sohc And What Else Should They Replace While Their in There P.S. Thanks for The Site On Which You Can Find Motors That Are Interference And Non Interference Robert
  • ftmunftmun Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Corolla LE with about 76,000 miles. I've taken care of it and had routine maintenance performed, although I have not had any transmission maintenance except checked the fluid level at each oil change. My "check engine" light went on. I ignored it, until I finally took it to dealer and they said the computer had trouble code PO741 torque convertor clutch solenoid performance, and Toyota recommends replacing the transmission at a cost to me of $3100. My warrantee expired at 60,000 miles, but one should not expect to have to replace transmission at only 76,000. Any ideas??
    If you added a spoiler yourself than the struts might be too weak to handle it. If the spoiler is stock, then the struts are just worn out. They aren't very expensive and they are easy to replace. If it's an aftermarket spoiler, that's going to be harder to solve.
    Have you had any driveability symptoms from this alleged defect, like weak acceleration (as if the car were starting in too high a gear?) or weird shifting?

If not, I'd get a second opinion from a reputable transmission shop that has been in business for a long time in your area.
    HelloWould You Know Where I Can Get A Owner Manual For My Daughters 1990 Corolla?
    Thank You
  • ftmunftmun Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your response, I will get a second opinion. No, there have not been any signs of trouble and transmission seems to be working normally. I have been driving with the engine light on for a couple days, then it goes off for a couple days. I wonder if it could be a computer problem rather than xmission problem. May try AAMCO. Did I also mention that at about 35,000 miles my air conditioning went out and it cost almost $1,000 to fix that!!
  • twixertwixer Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I have a a Toyota corolla T3 vvti, 3 door hatchback, 2003 model,Initially the left turn signal would not cancel now the right turn signal is the same, Update on indicator stalk problem, I ordered a spare from an auto parts dealer, removed my "faulty" one? and on checking it out the appears to be nothing wrong with it at all as it is exactly the same as the replacement in every detail and I can cancel both when not fitted, when fitting the spare part it problem is still there so i suspect it has to do with the "notched " part of the steering column although I cant quite figure out what is wrong!
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    Shifty,
    A quick google yields the following:
    TSB No.: 00804 NHTSA No.: 10011810 TSB Date: November 22, 2004
    Failing Component:
    Power Train:Automatic Transmission:Torque Converter
    Description of Summary:
    Malfunction indicator light on with diagnostic trouble code p0741 (torque converter clutch solenoid performance).

Maybe the owner has a free-bee coming. :shades:
    Yeah he may---here's more on that TSB:

RANSMISSION & CLUTCH
    TC008-04

Title:
    M.I.L. "ON" DTC P0741

Models:
    '04 - '05 Corolla (1ZZ-FE)

November 22, 2004

Introduction

Some 2004 - 2005 model year Corolla vehicles may exhibit M.I.L. "ON" with DTC P0741 (Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Performance). Production changes have occurred to correct this condition. Follow the repair procedure to address those vehicles that exhibit the condition.
    NOTE :The repair procedure must be followed closely to assure that only the affected part is replaced, as multiple possible causes are listed.

Applicable Vehicles
    ^ 2004 - 2005 model year Corolla vehicles equipped with 1ZZ-FE engine produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VIN shown below.

SO THAT MEANS BEFORE VIN # 1NXBR3#E#52369427

Production Change Information

Warranty Information

Applicable Warranty*:
    R & R of the Speed Sensor, Transaxle, and Torque Converter Clutch Assembly are covered under the Toyota Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.
    R & R of the Engine Control Module is covered under the Toyota Federal Emissions Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 96 months or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

I'd sure waive that TSB # in their face!
  • katz3katz3 Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 2008 Toyota corolla and noticed that the security light keeps blinking. Is this normal? Won't it drain the battery?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Perfectly normal, just like my Camry - battery will be fine. See owner's manual.
  • jkittlejkittle Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know what the sequence is to turn off the "maintenance required" light?

I have searched the forum and gone through my manual twice and have found nothing. I tried the same method as my Honda CRV (hold the trip meter button and turn the ignitionon switch on and off) but it didn't work.
  • stevelstevel Member Posts: 5
    Believe it or not it tells you how in the manual and yes, it's done the same way as on your Honda. Start with key off, hold down trip reset button and then turn key to run while continuing to hold down the button. Watch the odometer "count down" with dashes till they disappear - done.
    Yep, Stevel is right. It is in the manual. Also, his description of how to do it is correct.
  • jkittlejkittle Member Posts: 5
    Thanks. I must be doing something wrong because it didn't work the first time. I'll tri it again.

Again thank you
  • 4primadonna4primadonna Member Posts: 15
    Need answer/ or advise from someone who knows about car repair/maintenance for I can't afford to take my car to the dealer nor can afford a new one to replace it. My car just been to the auto shop for diagnostic image for thorough check up for what causing my engine light comes and stays on for no reason and off when it feels like it. Mechanic is claiming that his diagnostic image machine showing code "99" which he doesn't understand what that mean? I really need someone's help or advise to solve this "unknown" matter for we can't figure out what's going on and what's causing that light to stay on. At first, it will give me warning like, "jerk the car" then the light comes on. Now, the light stays on and I get worried everytime i drive it. By the way, it has new crank sensor/new water pump/new belt...Pls. help. I will be very grateful to someone who can help me solve this problem. Thanks.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    A parts store like Advance Auto, NAPA, or PepBoys will probably be able to read the code for you. However, determining what to do next?
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I had to have the tranny replaced in my 2003 Tundra with 43,000 miles. Two wheel drive and suburban driven and never pulled a thing with it. They didn't even blink an eye, gave me a Camry loaner for a week and replaced it. I get the feeling that a lot of trannies are replaced on Toyota products and when they are done under the powertrain warranty like mine they get no publicity whatsoever and I think Toyota wants to keep it that way.
  • basline11basline11 Member Posts: 13
    The instrument cluster in the Corolla DLX (Delux?) is very simple. I have an opportunity to get one from a LE model that has a tach and is better looking. I know the new cluster will fit in the dash but do not know if the connections will fit. Any Toyota experts out there?? Is there an online resource possibly.
  • alex24alex24 Member Posts: 54
    Do this first, disconnect the positive cable from the battery and leave it disconnect for approx. 10 minutes, then reconnet it and start your car, this should make your car computer reprogram it self, and solves alot of the problems, with the engine light coming on. alot of times do to something simple making it come on like a poor wire connection some where. if this does not work you can take it to Auto Zone auto parts store, and they will test your car with a computer for free, and tell you what the test results come up with. Some mechanics say if engine light problem can not be solved and your car runs good like it is with that light on then do not worry about it, just drive it like it is.
  • esvesv Member Posts: 1
    I have a good friend of mine that just bought a beater 93 corolla and wants to learn how to change the oil. Can anyone help me with these questions?

Where is the oil filter located?
    How much oil and of what type does it take? (didn't come with an owners manual)
    Where is the oil plug?

Is there any good web site that can help me with this? or even a book I can get?

Thanks in advance.

-ES
  • primadonnaprimadonna Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    still the problem is on my 1995 Toyota Corolla. Engine check light stays on for
    no reason. Mechanic checked everything and all him is code "99" which
    he is not sure what it means? Will anyone out there would know what that code mean?
    Also, just replaced the crank sensor/water pump and belt. Sometimes, car jerked and stall. Pls. tell me what's causing to do that and how to solve the problem. No money to take to dealer for check up nor repair. Pls. help.. Any help or advise to resolve the problem is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

primadonna
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Go by Auto Zone, Pep-Boys, someplace like that and buy a Haynes shop manual for that car...should cost around 16.95, and it will explain everything, and has pictures.
    Just want to thank you for the information/advise regarding my concern. I'll try to do just that, take my car to Auto Zone and hopefully they'll be able to help me out and find exactly what the problem is and come up with the solution. Do appreciate for the advise, thank you and take care.
  • csheffieldcsheffield Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 corolla that the OD light blinks on and off intermitently and sometimes it will not shift to the higher gears. The code tells me that it is the vehicle speed sensor. I have replaced this with no luck. Sometime the engine light comes on as well. This car has 307,000 miles on it and it still gets 30+ mpg, so most of the time it runs well. Any help would be great!

Thanks.
  • mgealmgeal Member Posts: 2
    does anyone know if Qhorsepower oil really works well in adding horsepower to an 89 corolla?
  • hondo12hondo12 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same thing going on with my 2001 GEO Prizm with 65,000 miles. Pretty quiet at neutral and 1st. 2nd gear gets louder and 3-5 is loud with a grinding type noise. started about 3 months ago. CLutch seems fine.
    No you can't get horsepower out of oil. Qhorsepower is just another synthetic oil. Might be a great product but it doesn't have any horsepower in it.

I guess if you froze your engine with 40W in it, and then drained that and put in synthetic oil, yes your engine would, for the first few minutes, spin easier with the synthetic and produce more of its own available horsepower on a dyno. I have experienced easier start-ups in cold weather with synthetics.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    I agree...oil does not add horsepower, but it does reduce friction. And, synthetic is a better lubricant than traditional oil, and due to that, you may actually see a slight increase in MPG. Also, synthetic oil is more moisture resistant, which can have a positive effect if you take primarily short drives (15 miles or less).The other good quality about synthetic oil is that you can extend the periods between oil/filter changes safely.
    All true but he was asking about horsepower gains, which I bet on a dyno would come up as "statistically irrelevant".
  • carebear3carebear3 Member Posts: 1
    Have the same problem w/ my 06 corolla S. It was Sluggish when it shifted out of gears.
    Took it to the dealership, was told the power control module had to be replace.
  • frugalonefrugalone Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Toyota Corolla LE. The driver's side, interior door handle has broken and I have ordered a replacement. Can anyone refer me to a site with instructions on how to replace the handle? Or can you give me any tips? Will I have to replace the panel on the door? Thanks.
  • folesfoles Member Posts: 1
    My drivers door just start not to work. Did you find anything out? :cry: :mad:
  • ednorton1ednorton1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

When engine is cold have a slight knock, but then disappears in a few minutes. Never checked my valve clearances. Have 2003, 90,000 mi. Do I need to check this? Is this a pain in neck if adjustments need to be made?

Thanks for any help.
  • bob191bob191 Member Posts: 14
    I am going to change first time the engine oil and filter in my new Corolla S. Toyota recommends for the best performance and fuel efficiency OW-20 fully syntetic oil.
    I found out that it is very hard to find this oil in Toronto. The closest I saw on a shelf was OW-30, made by Pennzoil. I've never heard about this brend before.

I will appreciate any suggestion regarding the best syntetic brend and the place where to get it.
  • strongma2akronstrongma2akron Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 Corolla with about 65K miles. I just started to get a little trouble with the breaks. Little grinding not all too often but enough to keep make me get it checked out. When I took it in I was told the front break job would run me between 500 and a grand. Does this sound like the right ball park for the price for labor and parts? A 'regional manager' calls me. It is about 15 minutes after I tell them no thanks I will figure out a plan B. He tells me they can take 20% of parts and labor but only if I get everything else on their list of periodic maintenance. They also held the car for most of the morning and into the afternoon before calling... as if that would stop me from getting a second estimate. Are they fishing for a sucker or do I need to be a little less suspicious?
    it's too much for just front brakes. Shop around.
  • joeyjoejoejoeyjoejoe Member Posts: 68
    I have a 2000 Corolla LE with right around 95,000 miles. I was running through my manual and saw it reference changing the manual transmission oil around this time. Well I can't find anything on the Internet about this...plus there is nothing in the manual about where to find it. Nice, huh?

Anyway, has anyone ever done this themselves? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
    Check Toyotanation for complete details/pictures. I have a '99 LE 5 speed manual with 105k. Any issues? Mine runs perfect, no issues, ever.
  • joeyjoejoejoeyjoejoe Member Posts: 68
    Nope, mine runs fine also. I just like to find ways to keep it in tip-top shape. This is obviously something I've never done. There is all sorts of information on-line about changing automatic transmission fluid, but I'm having problems finding anything about the manual tranny oil.
    On most cars, except a rare few with a dipstick for the manual transmission, the changing of manual transmission fluid is a fairly nasty job, requiring you to jack up the car (safely) on the level (so you know how much to fill), a drain pan of course, a pump for the new fluid, a wrench for the drain plug, and another for the fill plug, and the new oil itself.

It's the kind of job I personally prefer to give to someone else. They put the car on a lift, drain it and pump in the new oil from a pressurized hose. Bing-bang, ten minutes.

As for mileage, I wasn't able to find any mention of when to change the manual transmission fluid. It might be fine for the life of the car. But if you're the type who plans on keeping a car 200K + miles, I think it's a good idea to have it done around 100K or so. You might think about using a synthetic transmission oil.

If you don't have an owner's manual, if I were you I'd pick one up on eBay or at the dealership so that you can have a complete maintenance guide.

In any event, nothing you have to worry about.

visiting host
  • dchevdchev Member Posts: 38
    You can change manual transmission fluid IF YOU WANT TO!
    YOU DO NOT HAVE TO, but if you believe that car will run better, you can do it.
    Just go to Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts, tell them that you have 2000 Toyota Corolla with manual transmission. They will tell tell you what fluid they have got for your car and how many bottles you need. If you do it, please go with synthetic gear fluid.
    Next, check with a few local repairing shops, and there will be one or two of them at least who can do it!!!
    I used to have a Toyota Tercel and did change my gear fluid once. Car started running much smoother.
    Good luck!!! :D
    I changed my manual tranny oil at about 80k. I had mechanic do it, cost me $40.
    Car still giving me trouble. Mechanic just replaced new fuel pump/relay(???) and water pump was recently replaced as well and still the engine light comes on and the car jerked and sometimes it stall. Before it stall, it gives me warning, like car will jerk and then the speed decreases and can't pump the gas nor accelerate, it's just slowing down until it stop completely. When i tried to start it, it's starting but not going so i waited for few minutes. After 20-25 minutes it will start and go as if nothing happened. It does that occassinally and can't figure out what's wrong with it. Also, mechanic tried to replace the distributor with either rebuilt or new one, but the car rejecting the parts. It gotten worst than before, so mechanic put back the original one and it works. Pls. if someone out there who can diagnose the "illness" of this car, I will appreciate it and eternally grateful. Can't afford to take it to the dealer (too expensive) much less buy a new one???? Thank you.
    primetime