Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Thanks, but I had the sensor checked when it was brand new, and it was "operating within normal specifications". It is just unfortunate that normal specifications stink for this annoying system.

As I say, I am going to pay if necessary to have it removed.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• LuzerLuzer Member Posts: 119
    You can remove the sensor in 2 minutes or less.

1) Take a small flat tool - like a screw driver, but thinner if possible.

2) Carefully pry the sensor up. There are two small retainer clip.

3) Disconnect the connector.

This would remove the twilight feature.
    DRL would work the same.
    You would need to turn on/off the lights manually.

Disclaimer - I read this somewhere, But have not done it yet.
    Have an O3 Pontiac Vibe - same engine as the Matrix and Corolla.
    About 1500 miles so far.

I do not believe I smelled this.
    I'm in the NY/NJ area.
    Use regular gas.

Sounds like those cars that smells, smell real bad. Otherwise, there is no smell?

Something smells rotten here, and it's not normal.
    from the dealership about how if the sensor is removed from the circuit, the lights will not work at all, with or without the switch. Can you please try this out if you are still of a mind to, and let me know what happens? if it works, I will find five minutes sometime to take great pleasure in ripping this thing the heck out of my dash!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

genvibe.com
    forum
    exterior
    Twilight Sentinals...

hint - Show active threads from last "ALL"

note -
    So if you damage it, and want a new one, the part is listed at $129.

Standard Disclaimer - You are young at heart, but still an adult. All damages are done by YOU, and you cannot blame anyone.

Good Luck - let us know how'd it go.
    Too cold to do this now.
  • bear39bear39 Member Posts: 1
    I just want to let some people know all the things I've read about the Corollas. I just traded mine in after hearing so many bad things about them I was scared to keep it any longer. I had 83,000 miles on it, granted thats a lot, but I took great care of that car. Two days after the dealership sold the vehicle to a customer the engine blew up. I can only count my blessings that I listened to everyone else telling me about the problems with the engines in these vehicles. Every experience I ever had with toyota has been a nightmare. I've had the car serviced 5 times and only one of them was covered by the warranty. The sales departments, service departments, they were all digging into my pockets. If someone were to ask me how I felt about them buying a Toyota Corolla of any year, I'd tell them to pick any car but that. We all find a car that is good for us, that car wasnt good for me. Watch your engines if you own a corolla, make sure you get them flushed when you are supposed to and keep your eye on them, the newer models are beginning to show their true unreliablitly.
  • dcddcd Member Posts: 25
    The 03 Corolla I test drove last weekend had the smell that you all are talking about. It had about 350 miles on it and smelled bad when I got in it and drove it, but smelled even worse once I parked it and shut the engine off.

Some have mentioned that all new vehicles are now having this smell, but the 03 Honda Civic I ended buying does not smell, and neither does the 03 Explorer I bought a few months ago (which uses twice as much sulfur gas).
  • laksjlaksj Member Posts: 19
    The above message (#815) is probably the second or third time I read about premature engine failure in recent Corollas (1998-present) with the new 1.8 aluminum engine. Therefore, I think it's a good idea if owners of Corollas of those model years and who have accumulated high mileage (say 80k+) posted their mileages as well as any engine problems they may have encountered, if any.

I'm getting a bit worried about the long-term reliability of my Corolla..
  • palmdaleflyerpalmdaleflyer Member Posts: 3
    I have an '03 Corolla with about 500 miles on it. I'm getting about 18mpg city, 25 hwy (no leadfoot driving!). The dealer says to let it break-in more. I have an '01 Echo, which has never gotten below 32mpg, even in the city, and when new.

Anyone have any similar experiences/thoughts?
  • toyotabecktoyotabeck Member Posts: 2
    I too have had such poor gas mileage since day one in May 2003. the Max I have ever received is 28MPG over the summer. I drive mostly highway using cruise no lead foot either. This is unacceptable. Between my husband and I we have owned over 13 Toyota's - We are (were!) Toyota Snobs. This may be my last one. We too were told this is normal and within range, that it may be in the computer chip, when the 2004 are updated maybe Toyota will offer a retrofit for it. My 93 Corolla had over 165K and was still getting 38MPG. I miss that car!

I have not had the sulphur smell though, but boy is it buzzy, sluggish, and handles poorly. You can't get a comfortable driving position and not good in the snow with 4 Snows on it. I never had to put snows on my 93.

I am very disappointed in Toyota.
  • behhppbehhpp Member Posts: 51
    Took my Corolla back to the dealer this week. Complaint was the 25 MPG and sulfur smell. Of course, they said that they checked the computer, everything was operating "within specified parameters." The manager did at least admit that Toyota is aware of the problem and is trying to find a fix. 3 months ago the problem was the gas, not my car.
  • robertp4robertp4 Member Posts: 22
    I have a 02 Type S corolla and the only problem I had was that anti freeze leaked into the #1 sparkplug tube and shut off the engine. Had to be towed the dealer in May 02. It took 3 weeks to get the car back, was given a 03 rental and was happy with it no smell at all. My mpg is between 30-35 mpg mostly hwy.I was thinking of trading in the 02 for a 03, but if it smells the way everybody is saying, I will not buy a 03. It is true the service dept could be better. When u bring a car in for a problem covered by the warranty, the dealer will say this is normal or I cannot find the problem. However when it is out of warranty and YOU have to pay for the repair it is amazing how the problem can be found and the price too.
  • canoe2canoe2 Member Posts: 128
    My 89 Corolla is making noise when outside temperature is below -20degC.
    The noise came from speedometer, it seemed the cable turning noise, which might require to lubricate.
    if anyone has a fixed for it, please post.

Thanks
    tend to make more noise when it is really cold outside. I have had no luck lubricating them - it is possible, but only lasts a short while. For about $100, you can get a new one put in, and it will be quiet.

• canoe2canoe2 Member Posts: 128
    Nippononly, thanks for suggestion.
    Yesterday it took 1 hr to remove the assembly to access to the speedo cable. I used "Liquid wrench with Teflon" on the cable and forced the lubricant with air compressor. I have to wait the weather to get colder to prove out if it works.
    Sometimes, I suspected the noise came from the meter itself, not the cable. So, I am not hurry to replace to cable now.
  • toyotabecktoyotabeck Member Posts: 2
    Dear Boilerman:

I live in upstate New York (Very Cold and Snowy).
    I have had poor mileage with my 2003 Corolla S (5-spd) since purchase (max 28mpg!! over the summer) now it runs about 25 to 26. If you need any input regarding this you can email me at:
    toyotabeck@earthlink.net. (I know I should change my email address name!)

I am really disappointed with this car. If I had not made the mistake in leasing it, I would sell it tomorrow!
    Gas wise
    So far, I'm okay

2003 Vibe (yeah, I know, this is Corolla's board, but same engine...)

EPA is 28/33 on the automatic tranny.
    I get 27 to 28 in mix'ed (a little NYC, and doing 80+mph on the hywy, but no lead feet - slow to start, but will catch up)

89 Corolla still gets about 29mpg.
    EPA was 27/30.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Does anybody know how to program a 2003 Corolla to accept a new (third) remote keyless entry fob?
    I have the Matrix, same engine as Vibe and Corolla, rated at 28/33 with the auto, getting 31-32 in 50/50 city and highway driving.

No leadfoot either, but love to run the canyons in it, not beetling along like a snail.

• hpraohprao Member Posts: 6
    My 2001 toyota corolla's problem seems to be same as message number 371. From last 2000 miles the engine malfunction light on my car seems to appear for no reason. I got it diagnosed once and the dealer told it was a loose gas tank cap. After that I make sure that it is tight and engine is not running when I fill gas. Even after that the malfunction light has come 4 times and gone. The problem is, before I take it to the dealer it goes off. Dealer says he can't do anything if it goes off. I called toyota and they said the same thing. My car's warranty will be over in about another 1000 miles. Does anybody know what the problem could be or how to go about solving this problem?
  • sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    When the CEL comes on, the error should be stored in memory even if the light turns off. That's how the shops (specially the dealer) analyze what happened. I'm surpised the dealer didn't find anything.
    Yes, loose gas caps will do this, dirty gas will do this too and then turn off on your next refill with better gas.

But the dealer should be able to read this from the car's ecu when you take it to the shop. Make sure you have all your documentation in case it gets worse. Good luck.
  • majorlagmajorlag Member Posts: 4
    :I saw bulletin about this problem on NHTSA web site
    Number 001/5884.
    I searched the NHTSA website and cannot find any info from this number, could you please provide more detail?
    And also do you have any more info about the Air Flow Meter? Is that the O2 sensor?
    Thanks
  • fgf001fgf001 Member Posts: 98
    The airflow meter (MAF Mass Airflow Sensor) measure the amount of incoming air for the computer. The o2 sensor measures the exhaust to determine if there is a rich or lean condition.
    Thanks for the reply Sensei1. My car dealer says if the light goes off then there is no error code stored. He won't even record my complaint!!
         If it stores the error code even when the light goes off, then I will go and get it checked from somebody else.
    Thanks
  • jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    i've never heard of error codes being stored in memory. i know for sure you can check while the light is still on. i've asked about 5 different people and they all said the same thing.

i'm not 100% sure but your dealer may be correct. try phoning diferent dealers and ask.
    that are OBDII-compliant, the code is stored even if the light later goes out. At least, this is what my technician told me for my '97 Subaru.

• sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    Maybe Toyotas are not OBDIIs. I was also thinking about my '02 Subaru when I responded.
    cars and light duty trucks sold in California since 1996 are OBDII-compliant.

I am not sure when this was phased in for the rest of the country.

• boilermanboilerman Member Posts: 35
    I am trying to find the bulletin 001/5884 on the NHTSA board. Could someone help me out with this? I have gone to their web site and have been unable to find this.. Thanks all!
  • nikolaynikolay Member Posts: 7
    It's on the web site: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/tsb/central2.cfm
    Unfortunately, dealership said they called Toyota but they said it doesn't exist. I guess it was very old information. Sorry.
    BTW, seems like new Air Flow Meter helped with
    sulfur smell, but did not improve gas milage. It still around 27 on 50/50 driving. I'll wait for now and see what happens. These guys couldn't fix CD rattle for two times. It's not properly mounted into dashboard on the top and rattles as a hell. I will try to bring it to another shop this month.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    All passenger cars and light trucks with gasoline engines sold in the U.S. had to be certified as OBD-II compliant by the 1996 model year. Some manufacturers began phasing in OBD-II in 1994-5 on selected models:

http://www.obdii.com/obdii.html
    The CEL has comeback again. Hopefully it will stay till I reach the dealer. I will let you all know what happened. Again I shut the gas tank lid properly.
    I took the car to dealer. They did find a sensor (CAM sensor!!) which needs to be replaced. I don't know what it is. Hopefully that will fix the problem.
    Why would be a dealer little reluctant to fix a problem. Don't they get money from Toyota to repair these things?
    car still under warranty = no $$
    car over the warranty = BIG $$
    so you will notice that once your car is over the warranty period, each time you take your car to the dealer - they find all sorts of problem. if your car is still under warranty, they can't seem to find anything wrong with your car!

cam sensor is a sensor for your camshaft.
    in simple terms, it sends info to your ecu (brain/computer) for injector/spark timing.
  • hhomerhhomer Member Posts: 15
    Originally, when I bought my Matrix, the lights would come on most of the time. I thought it was very annoying too. However, when the temp got into the 20's, the sensor woulf trigger the lights, and my battery would run down. Since the dealer replaced the sensor, it works great!!! I have a feeling that there were one or two batches that are faulty. I am not sure if this helps, but I think it is the sensor and not the design.
    Hey hey hey -
    You mean with the new sensor, the headlights do not come on/off/on/off/on/off as you drive in and out of the shade on a highway on a sunny day?

For me the lights comes on in full sunlight, as the sensor gets block by other car parts as I drive on the highway.

Maybe they have a new spec?
    I bought mine Vibe in Nov, 2002.
    from August. I wish I had the time to fool with it right now, but I have a mental note to have them replace the sensor or disable the twilight system when I have to leave it for the 15K service.

• jeff_l1jeff_l1 Member Posts: 5
    My dealership installed an aftermarket alarm system(Checkmate) in my 2003 Corolla LE. The remote does not unlock all doors when pressed twice quickly, unlike the factory remote. It takes precise timing, or after the 2 'chirps' between presses. If pressed one second late or early, it doesn't unlock 'all' doors. My dealership told me they could make it one press to unlock all doors. Does anybody else have this problem with aftermarket alarms? Can the alarm's remote be programmed to work exactly like the factory remote?
  • hhomerhhomer Member Posts: 15
    Luzer, my registration/inspection stickers used to block my sensors most of the time before, and as a result, unless it was extremely bright, my lights were on. Since I got the new sensor 1. It is less sensitive 2. The delay is longer, so it does not go on when I go under a bridge : ) I would ask the dealer to change it and see if the new one is better. Good luck!
  • wolfgar112wolfgar112 Member Posts: 5
    Just had this issue addressed on my '03 corolla this morning, dealer said it's a 'known issue'. My symptoms were:

1. In cold weather (less than 15 degrees F) sensor flickered the lights briefly after i had turned off the engine and removed the key. battery was drained overnight after i had left the car thinking they were off.

2. Lights would go off (but daylight ones stayed on) when i made a right or left turn signal. This would only happen if the sensor had turned the full lights on.

What they did:

1. Replaced relay assembly, part # 82810-02033

2. Replaced switch assembly, part # 84140-02200

Both of these had to be special ordered, I drove around for ~ 1 week before getting the work done while waiting for the parts. luckily the weather warmed up and i wasn't left with a dead battery again.

Another interesting problem poped up last night, the radio would periodically lose sound and change stations on me. Of course they couldn't reproduce this error, but have ordered a new unit anyway.

First time in 4 toyotas that i've had to take a car in for anything other than regular maintenance.
  • trujillo2000trujillo2000 Member Posts: 2
    Those people who have posted about the sulfur smell in the Corolla, would they please post what State thay are from? I'm trying to see where people seem to have the problem and where people do not. I am from N.Y.S. and test drove the '03 Corolla and did not notice the smell. I suspect because N.Y.S. has low sulfur in their gas.
  • jeff_l1jeff_l1 Member Posts: 5
    I'm from Brooklyn, NY. I bought my Corolla here in Brooklyn, but I get my gas mostly from NJ because of cheaper gas prices in NJ. I didn't notice the smell in the beginning either, but lately, I smell it but after a while it goes away. I haven't taken it back to the dealer yet to see what they can do.
  • steelersfansteelersfan Member Posts: 16
    I live in Stafford, Virginia and I periodically had a sulfur smell -- about once every 3 days. As an experiment, I recently switched to 89 octane, which seems to have worked. I've only had the smell once in two weeks.
  • corolla03corolla03 Member Posts: 17
    We're from Atlanta, Ga. Have tried lots of different brands of gas, but they all stink. It seems smelliest when I pull up to a stoplight. I took it to the dealer, and, for some reason, could not replicate the problem that day. Ugh! People say I should try premium gas, but I did not buy a corolla to use premium gas!
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Gagwagon is a great name but it should apply to the Matrix since it is functionally the Corolla wagon and some of them have the problem.

How about gag a rolla for the sedan?

It's the Toyota word for stinks while moving! Pass it on!

I bet we can get custom bumper stickers done! Get them in either swamp gas green or lemon yellow!

Mean me!
  • wdrosterwdroster Member Posts: 1
    I've had it with Toyota. I've averaged 23 highway MPG since I got the 2003 Corolla. I took it to the dealership, where I was told they don't warranty MPG. They wouldn't comment if 23 MPG highway was normal, which isn't I guess, if it was a Cadillac. Plus I get the sewer to boot. Boy am I pissed, the biggest reason I bought the Corolla was for the gas mileage since I drive 80 highway miles a day. Toyota couldn't care less either. Here's a tip for anyone concidering buying a Corolla, RUN as fast as you can till they decide to fix the problem. Don't hold your breathj though.
    Can you folks with the stench comment on your mpg?

Just trying to see if bad smell = bad gas mileage.
    i get this smell (more like gas) when the car is cold, the smoke coming out of the tailpipe is white. after the engine warms up, smell is completely gone. doesn't bother me that much. same thing with my sienna van and even my sister's camry.

dont know if this is the smell you guys are referring to.
  • nikolaynikolay Member Posts: 7
    I'm in Texas. We consider 50 as a cold weather here. I have sulfur smell on a cold start. But I turn off outside air flow and don't smell it. I'm turning it back on after car warms up. I'm averaging 27 Mpg on 50/50 driving. I visited Dealership with this problem and they changed air flow meter. But it didn't help. My Corolla LE came from Japan. I think converter is a real problem.
  • boilermanboilerman Member Posts: 35
    My 2003 Corolla has the sulfur smell, I live in COLD WEATHER now and my MPG is around 24 and I drive conservative, 80 percent interstate driving, short idle periods also. Sulfur , cold weather makes for BAD MPG..... Car has been back to the dealership .. same old Toyota story.. They do not even admit a problem... bunch of jerks they are!