Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• woodspoonwoodspoon Member Posts: 1
    I was driving down the road and the car would jump. I went to find a place to pull over and never made it the car lost all power and I coasted to edge of the road, all the lights on the dash came on and the car died. We could not get it to crank. I had it towed and the guy said that he drive it in the shop. That surprised me!! Then he went to crank it and could not make it crank. The computer he hooked it to said fault in ECM. It can be hooked up to the computer and with the key on but not running the computer says my car is at 1100 RPM. They seem to think it is the computer. I called the dealership and they said that the computer was covered under the emissions warranty. Do you actualy think it is the computer or could it be something else doing it. I dont' want to take it to the dealership and pay arm and leg for them to get it there and it be something different not covered under warranty. The car has 46,000 miles on it. So does it sound like the ECM?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well computer diagnostics doesn't actually identify the exact item that is defective---no computer is quite that good yet. But it does tell you the SYSTEM that is having trouble. So yes, it could be the ECM but it could also be the connector TO the ECM or the wiring going to it or from it. I'd have to know the code # to tell you more.
  • lehert2lehert2 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem on my 2005 corolla. Do not follow dealer suggestion to replace transmission. What you need to do just change the oil transmission 4-5 times. Drain, fill 3 quartz, drive 20 miles and then drain again fill up again up to 4-5 times cicle. Problem solved.
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Any reason why just a complete flush and fill would not produce the same good results?
  • littleoscolittleosco Member Posts: 11
    We're having the same problem with our '94. We just got it back with a new speed sensor but the problem is still there. Anyone with any ideas????????????????
  • mingxunmingxun Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2008 corolla at the end of last year (2007). I found that if the temperature is cold like 30 or 40F, when I reverse to backup my car, I could hear some noice, like metal clicking sound. When the car is warm or outside temperature is warm, this won't happen. So the whole spring and summer is OK. Now the winter is coming, I am hearing the noice again. I want to see if other people has similar experience or know the explanation. Thanks.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Could this be the sound of the exhaust system expanding rapidly as it heats up, in the cold weather? Except you only hear it while backing...
  • jsouthjsouth Member Posts: 13
    I also have a 2008 Corolla with a 5 speed manual that makes that same clicking noise when I back out of the drive in the morning. It started after I owned the car for about 3 mths. I`m going to take it to the dealer when I get the time but so far nothing has happened because of it. The noise only happends with the clutch out, backing up , but with the car rolling in reverse and I put the clutch in it quits.
  • maganmagan Member Posts: 18
    This door has broken from it's hinges. The hinges are small plastic molded pins at the right and left of the door. Anyone have an idea of a repair? My thoughts are to drill out where the pins were and press small steel pins in it.
    ('05 Corolla CE)
    Anyone have an idea how to replace this?
    ('05 Corolla CE)
    or even cotter pins?
    Did my first oil change on my 2009 Corolla XLE at 1000 miles. I was a little hesitant to get involved with the new "paper filter and case" thing but it was a piece of cake. I used genuine Toyota 0-20 full synthetic oil as recommended by Toyota and the genuine Toyota paper filter. The filter comes with a new O ring for the filter case and a new paper gasket for the drain plug, although I didn't use either.
  • dkeaniedkeanie Member Posts: 16
    I am getting 40 miles to the gallon on my Corolla, it is a 95 model. :) The car has done 117,000 , no bad eh! :D
  • dkeaniedkeanie Member Posts: 16
    I tried to change the side light bulb on the front left hand side today, thought it was going to be easy.........................not. Can anybody tell me how to get the side light out to get to change the bulb? I have a Haynes manual and that wasn't any help at all. :mad:

thanks
  • ronzo7ronzo7 Member Posts: 1
    where is oil filter located on 2009 corolla
    The oil filter is enclosed in the bottom of the block next to the oil pan. It's capped with a black plastic lid that has 14 flutes or sides on it. You will need an oil filter wrench available from Toyota dealer, $6.48, model# 04152-YZZA6 or from Advanced Auto Parts, $4.98, model: Ampro 65mm 14 Flutes (cup type). Both of these wrenches use a 3/8 rachet extension that connects to the bottom. Don't overtighten the black cap when reattaching it. As soon as it makes solid contact turn it about another half turn.
  • javib11javib11 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 corolla the other day my car failed inspection due to high HC and very high CO emission level my CO was a bit more then half of what the max level should be and HC was a tad high, anyone have suggestions what may be the problem? Tune up was done in april 08 spark plus, wires, dis cap, engine flush, was done in april oil was changed 1k miles ago. Pcv vale was replaced after test failed and there was a sensor not in place by air filter box, car is a cail emission car
  • gardner5236gardner5236 Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone know how to replace the bulbs for the maplights in a 2009 corolla? There are two lights total, side-by-side. To turn them on you just push up and they click. Push again to turn them off. The light appears to be the button, and I can't seem to figure it out, and I don't want to damage anything with a screwdriver. Its as if the whole light is one unit. Please help. Trying to install LED bulbs on all my interior lights. Thanks much.
    Aren't the instructions on how to change that bulb in the owners manual?
  • gardner5236gardner5236 Member Posts: 20
    The manual shows how to change the exterior but not the interior lights. I was able to change the dome light but I can't get the maplights.
  • ca94087ca94087 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2007-Corolla in 2006. It has a 42000 mileage now. The engine noise becomes very louder. I sent to dealer for a check up. They found out the Driving Belt need to be replaced. It was out of warrant (over 36000 miles). It cost me $200. My previous 2 cars never had such problems. Is that usual for a car with 42K miles to replace driving belt? I felt I was cheated.
    I assume your referring to the serpentine belt when you say driving belt. I say this because the 2007 Corolla uses a timing chain, not belt. If you got 42,000 miles out of the serpentine belt that's sounds normal. Actually, $200.00 for changing the serpentine belt is probably slightly high even for the dealer but not outrageously high. The belt itself costs about $20.00 A suggestion would be to find a reputable mechanic that is not a dealer that could take care of these general maintenance jobs for you. This could probably have been done for around $100.00 to $150.00 at a non-dealer mechanic.
  • js2008js2008 Member Posts: 3
    I got the same problem within this couple weeks, but mine doesn't have heating problem, just loud noise (vibrating sound) when increase the acceleration. Anybody know what is the problem? Maybe btsridhar, could give me some update about his/her car or fellow Corolla users that have same problem?

I appreciate for any helps or ideas.
  • johnnyjack1959johnnyjack1959 Member Posts: 2
    On my car start-up There is a very little metal sound knock ,then it will stop ,what could it be?
    It's your valves before the oil hits them to lubricate them. Do you have enough oil in your car and the correct viscosity? This is a normal scenario.
  • narendranarendra Member Posts: 3
    Hi. I own a 2006 Corolla. It's due for 30K major service. My regular toyota dealer quotes it for $450+.
    Question: Is it worth it? I might get it cheap at other service stations.

Are there any pros/cons either way?
    Thanks.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can check what is actually needed here: Maintenance Schedules, Recalls and Technical Service Bulletins. Some dealers are known for wanting to do more work than the manufacturer specifies so it's always good to check.
    FYI, I own a 2001 Corolla as well as a 2009 Corolla and a 1986 Tercel which I bought brand new in 1985. I have never had any preventive maintenance done on any of my vehicles by the dealer. All I do is regular oil changes, spark plugs on the "86" occasionally and rotate the tires occasionally. It is also important to make sure your fluids are always at there required levels. So in my opinion skip all the little stuff and just do the necessities and you'll save a quite a lot of money and your Toyota will be fine. Also, note to keep records of your oil changes so your warranty is not voided.
  • ezee2ezee2 Member Posts: 4
    I wash yesterday under the hood of my corolla 2004. Water spry was just for few second.
    Problem starts after wash the engine, engine yellow light show up in dash. Driving fine under 60Km
    But refuse to speed up to 100km looks like gear shift don’ want to go in 4th gear.
    I went to my garage mechanics check with computer and got Code# P2770. He don’t know because description wasn’t available on his computer any way he rest and yellow engine light going.
    Then I test the car on highway everything is fine car went over to 100Km. now next morning on start my day again engine check light show up.
    I just find out Code#P2770 desecration: DSL Solenoid Circuit High (Shift Solenoid Valve DSL) Electronic controlled automatic transmission (ECT)
    Please advise me how I can fix this problem. What need to replace.
    My answer would be to keep the water off of the engine. Not sure why you would want to wash your engine with water anyway, water doesn't cut grease! I would guess your problem might disappear when the effected part, whatever it might be, dries out.
    I reset agian and now looks like as you said water is dries out and no chack engine light any more.
    by the way if i want to clean engine So, what is best way to clean?
    Thanks
    Either have a professional shop do it, or if you are the patient sort---what I do is get warm water and Simple Green, mix it up, and use a paint brush to clean things up while covering up vital electronic parts with plastic or tin foil. This is far more precise than something like a hose or steam wand at a car wash.
  • bliss1871bliss1871 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone heard of something similar to this -- my 2007 corolla, which is just shy of 12,000 miles and is an automatic transmission, stalled shortly after the "malfunction indicator lamp" turned on for the first time ever. After I had stopped at a stop sign and started driving, my car stalled. I was able to start the car again and drive another mile. I then parked the car and turned off the ignition. But when I tried to start up the car again, it wouldn't start. I tried turning the ignition a few times and it still wouldn't start. Pls help! What could be going on? It's a fairly new car with low mileage. :confuse:
    Hi all.
    Thanks for all the replys. What I did is:
    Took the maintenance manual to a local oil-change shop, and showed him what is recommended for the 30K service. He separately priced each item mentioned there, and offered me a total price lower than $100, which was much lower than what a dealer would have charged.

- Naren
    This happened to me, not for Corolla, but for another car of another make.
    Same thing happened, I stopped at stop sign, and could not start it again. What had happened is: the ignition module, a small electronic chip that controls the ignition had failed. It cost me about $75 to replace it.
  • bliss1871bliss1871 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the speedy reply! Hopefully it's just the ignition module for my car as well. Thanks again!
  • pe5pe5 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having a similar problem, as described by js2008 with my 1998. Shortly after installing new front rotors and brake pads I noticed a (in the front somewhere) "thwump thwump thwump" noise while accelerating at low speeds (up to 45 mph). It wasn't consistent, and seemed to disappear after about 5 miles of driving. The noise would only occur while accelerating and the frequency of the noise was directly related to the speed of the car. It would not happen while turning and accelerating.
    Took the car back to my mechanic who couldn't duplicate the noise (naturally). He took the brakes apart and inspected the front end and the noise was gone....for about 2 weeks. It's back again.
    Grateful for any ideas.
    There are many products out there to do an engine cleaning. Most are just powerful aerosol sprays that you just spray on a warm engine and allow the dirt and grease to drip down under the car. Of course you should put something on the ground as this will be quite messy underneath. I can't think of any brand names at the moment but if you go to a Pep Boys, Advance Auto Parts or an Autozone you will find a variety to choose from. Most of them work quite well and make the engine look new.
    Hi after few hour the engine light show up agian. But driving is fine what you thing just leave it like that and wait for days to light goes off?
    How do you determine if your air filter is washable?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    It's not washable, but I suppose you could clean it with air pressure. Personally, I think they are cheap enough to just change them, and it only takes a couple minutes.
    Engine air filters are never washable as they are composed of a paper product. Cabin air filters, I suppose, could be rinsed off and reused but I would never attempt to be that frugal.
  • ehssameehssame Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2006 Toyota Corolla with around 14K miles on it. There are hardly any miles on the car but since the car has completed 3 years now (its a Jan 06 purchase) should I get the 60K service done ?
    Should the service be based on miles or time or whatever is reached first ?
    Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    If you check the Toyota service guide (NOT the one from the dealer, from Toyota)that came with the car, it will tell you what needs to be done in both miles and time, whichever comes first.
    Have three Toyotas, two over 100,000 miles, and never had the regular maintenace done. It's just a money maker for the dealerships. Especially with only 14,000 miles on the odometer. Get your oil changed regularly, rotate your tires occasionally, and you'll be fine, remember, it's a TOYOTA!
  • noyb1noyb1 Member Posts: 1
    i have a toyota corolla 1.3... it has an immobiliser alarm, TOAD (im in the UK)
    when i press the alarm button so the car unlocks, the greenn light on the alarm works but nothing happens to my car, it doesnt make any sound and the doors dont unlock.
    i unlocked the car by the key, normally this would set the alarm off, but it didnt???
    so i put the key in the ignition and it turns but doesnt do a damn thing! no noise at all.
    also the buttons that open and close the doors automatically dont work. normally when im in the car and everything is normal the button that locks all the doors work without me even putting the key in the ignition.
    whats wrong with my car? please help me!
    One big downside to not doing maintenance per the manufacturer's schedule is that if there IS a problem within the warranty period and the problem can be related to lack of maintenance, the manufacturer does not have to honor the warranty.

Scheduled maintenance doesn't have to be done by a dealer--it can be done by ANYONE who has the skill to do it--some other mechanic, even the owner if so inclined. Just be sure to keep all receipts, not only in case of a warranty claim but it helps with resale--buyers like to see that a car was well maintained.
    The manual also states that records to prove that you had the required maintenance performed are not required and Toyota will still honor the warranty regardless of lack of records. Up until 60K miles the only requirement, besides visual inspections, are oil and filter changes and tire rotation, both of which I suggested DO get completed. Even at 60K the only thing they add is coolant flush and refill. Of course, by the time you get past 36K your warranty expired making the record keeping and maintenance performance for the warranty mute anyway. However, I do suggest as you do, accurate record keeping for any repairs or maintenance done to your vehicle regardless of who performs it and what you have done. This will definitely increase your odds of a more rapid resale with increased value of your vehicle.
    Toyota is very generous to take the owner's word that required maintenance has been done! That alone might be a good reason to buy a Toyota.

Toyota does caution on its Web site, however, that "Repairs and adjustments to your vehicle caused by lack of proper maintenance are not covered under your new vehicle warranty. In addition, repairs and adjustments caused by improper maintenance or the use of fluids other than those specified in your Owner's Manual are not covered under your warranty." I wonder why they'd even have that clause since an owner could always say, "I did all the required maintenance" (whether they did or not) and all Toyota could do is say, "Oh. OK then."

There are a few extra service items at 30k and 60k, but interestingly replacing engine coolant isn't one of them--just inspecting it. Modern cars like the 2009 Corolla really have reduced the maintenance requirements, haven't they? Might be a good idea to have the 60k service done a bit early--before the 60k powertrain warranty runs out.
  • QNowQNow Member Posts: 1
    Kelsey - did you fix the windshield? If so, did that work?

I'm having the exact same problem with my 2007 Corolla.