Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Well unfortunately it's only available at a Toyota Dealership, it's what is in your car right now. A 50/50 mixture of quality Prestone Coolant would be my second choice. Yes it's just fine to add a different quality coolant (formulated for todays cars) to your existing Toyota coolant. The reason I suggested to return to the dealer was just to be sure there was not a problem as it's quite unusual for a new car to be needing coolant already. I have a 2001 Corolla along with my new 2009 and I have not added coolant to my 2001 until it was seven years old when I first did a flush and refill.
  • geodrivegeodrive Member Posts: 20
    thanks a lot for your advise man...I think I will visit the dealership and ask them to double-check the coolant.
    Recently I visited Canadian Tire...they also suggested me Prestone 50/50.

Can you also give advise about buying winter tires for corolla 09?
    Which brand is good...expected cost...mileage.
    My new car has all season but I am planning for winter tires to add bit more safety in canadian winter...
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Take your vehicle back to the dealership for the coolant. From a warranty perspective, you want to establish the date and mileage that this 'symptom' first occurred. This underlying 'problem' might be nothing serious, but who knows...you may have an engine headgasket problem that will show up a year from now.

Go to www.tirerack.com, and it will be easy to do research on tires. Don't forget that your vehicle has TPMS system, which has sensor's on the wheels that monitor the pressure and communicate with the computer.
    Go to www.tirerack.com, and it will be easy to do research on tires. Don't forget that your vehicle has TPMS system, which has sensor's on the wheels that monitor the pressure and communicate with the computer.

I'm curious, is this relevant to purchasing tires?
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    It may not even be relevant. If the poster bought a 2009 Corolla CE then it was not fitted with TPMS.
    Question was, what is a good winter tire.

Go to tirerack, and read the reviews and ratings for the different tires, can make decision on which TIRE to buy.

If one is buying a 2nd set of tires for winter, then the next obvious question is.....so how does one intend to use them?
    - If they are going to be mounted on the standard rims, and then in the spring re-mount the original tires for the summer....then there are mount,dis-mount, and balance charges twice a year.
    - Most people would buy spare rims instead. If you buy spare rims and mount the the winter tires on the rims, then you have to address the TPMS problem. You'll need to buy TPMS sensors that mount in those rims, or live with the error messages while your winter rims/tires are on.

So the point of the response, if you are thinking about getting winter tires, think it all of the way through.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    I use Michelin X-Ice Xi2 stud less tires on my 09 Corolla and went through a hard winter of over 100 inches for the year. I have a set for my wifes 00 RX300 and had a set on my 06CRV. Very good tire for winter.

Good Luck

MNF
    Thx for the suggestion man...I am also looking for the same tires. Response is very good...any idea of the price range ?? orr any promotions ?
  • JDM5LugHatchJDM5LugHatch Member Posts: 30
    Actually it's quite normal for there to be little to no coolant on a new car in the overflow tank. When dealers get a new car in the have to PDI them which is a basic inspection of everything on the car with a long checklist of items. At this time they are supposed to check the body for damage, make sure electrical items such as lights, horn, radio, a/c etc. work, and they are also supposed to top off all fluids. Well as you can imagine this process is usually rushed a lot of times and they don't top off the coolant overflow tank. My car brand new wasn't topped off and I did so myself. Also, around the break-in period it's not uncommon for you to use some coolant as everything starts to settle in. After the break-in period you shouldn't have to touch it again for a long time.
    In 2009 Toyota didn't make the CE model and even the 2009 base model is equipped with TPMS.
    In 2009 Toyota didn't make the CE model and even the 2009 base model is equipped with TPMS.

They did, and still do, in Canada where the poster lives. Even on the 2010 CE TPMS is still an option.
    Check into Nokian's http://www.nokiantires.com . I've never heard a bad thing about them. The Subaru community swear by them. I'm personally not a fan of Michelin tires. I think they are overrated and overpriced. They might make good tires but usually for the same price you can get a much better performing tire from someone else.
    Oh! Why is that?
    I imagine that, since it is not yet required by law, it is excluded on grounds of cost.
  • c2cpc2cp Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2002 corolla and when I come to a stop the rpms fluctuate and it acts like it wants to stall any ideas?
  • alex24alex24 Member Posts: 54
    I had the same problem with a toyata Camry 4 cyl. engine, and it was my distributor unit shorting out, there is so much inside it , so its to hard to find what was shorting out, so had to replace the whole Distri. unit with a remanufactured one fron Advance auto parts, And that fix it. but your corolla might be different type Distri.
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    It could also be the idle control solenoid. I had one on a Honda that went bad and the symptoms are similar.
  • pianoglendapianoglenda Member Posts: 1
    Can it be a fuse problem if the AC suddenly quits working? How do you change a fuse in the AC box?
    Sure, but you'd need to do much more troubleshooting to figure out what is wron

A/C is made up of a number of functions, many things could cause it to 'not work'.

Could be freon pressures or level of freon, compressor, compressor clutch, any of the pressure switches, fans, or electrical control circuitry up in the engine compartment.

Inside the car are the temperature and blower switches, and more electrical control circuitry.

What symptoms would you describe as not working?
    - Inside blower doesn't blow air high/me/low speeds?
    - sinside switches down't appear to work correctly?
    - a/c appears to work a little, blowing air but it's only a little bit cool.
    - a/c clutch on the a/c compressor isn't engaging to turn the compressor,
    - a/c compressor is making weird grinding noises
    - etc, etc, etc
  • blakespeedblakespeed Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    Whenever I brake at about 35MPH or higher my 2004 Corolla LE shakes and vibrates. The faster I am traveling, the harder the vibration. I had the front brakes done in January and the tires are less than a year old. I thought having the brakes done and getting new tires would take care of the issue, but it didn't. What else could be going on here. It has about 96k miles on it. Thanks for your help!
    I would suspect that your front rotors have warped with heat.

That's an easy replacement, they could have done it when doing your brake job while they had everything apart. Brake gently during the first couple hundred miles of your new rotors.
    The rotors are warped. I replaced my wife's brake rotors after the factory ones warped. Which didn't happen until last year and she has owned the car since new (also an '04 but an S). When I replaced them I kind of cheaped out on the rotors and pads and well not 1 year later they are warped again. Sounds to me like whomever did the brakes also used lesser quality components. This is the first time I have ever experienced this kind of a problem when using cheaper/lower cost rotors so I am somewhat shocked. Next time I will use Toyota rotors and pads.

Also, If you do a few hard panic stops that is enough to warp the rotors. So your driving style is key. Also, if you ride your brakes they heat up and then when you use them somewhat hard they are soft enough to warp.
  • blakespeedblakespeed Member Posts: 2
    Great Thanks! Is this something that should be done right away? It's an uncomfortable feeling, but it still seems to break ok. Will not changing the rotors cause long-term damage to the car or cause a big safety issue?
    If you are sure that your rotors are the problem they don't always have to be replaced. Rotors can easily be recut on a brake lathe if they are not worn too deeply. Only your auto technician can measure your rotors thickness and be able to tell you if they are able to be recut.
  • rrobson1rrobson1 Member Posts: 1
    hi there,
    i have the same problem with the trouble code PO741 torque convertor clutch solenoid performance. the check engine light comes on and off. i've got 79k miles on my 2004 toyota corolla s. do you mind sharing how you resolved your issue?
    many thanks,
    r
  • rlhoundsrlhounds Member Posts: 3
    I'm a 30 yr old female and want to change cv boots myself, does anyone know where I can get free online instructions to this?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think a printed repair manual would be better for a newbie. Also you'll need to "tool up" for the job, and I think a repair book would help you make the right and thorough preparations by mentioning the tools and tool sizes. Believe me, once you are covered in that axle grease (and you are going to get VERY dirty) you're going to want some good photos as well as specific directions for your year and model. Very often the on-line help is more like a list of things to do, with little in the way of visuals, or a video, which is useless when trying to fix a car.

Your public library probably has what you need to get started. Be sure to work safe.
    It might actually be easier and more cost effective to just replace the entire axle than to do just do the CV boots. Besides it would suck to do all that work for some boots only to have an axle start to go out on you a few thousand miles later. I look at it like this in order to replace the boots you practically have to remove the axle as is so why not just change them regardless if they need them or not it's just good old preventative maintenance. You can always buy a repair manual which if you don't mind getting down and dirty will be a worthwhile investment in the long run.
    Hi Guyz,
    I will be going for the first servicing of my corolla 09 - on lease.
    I know they gonna change the oil (35 $).
    What else should I expect ?
    Will their be any other kind of charges apart from oil change? I don't have any problems in the car to be reported.
    Generally how much time do they take for servicing at toyota service centers ?
    Good advice in principle but DON'T buy rebuilt axle kits made in China---they are not well balanced and your axles may end up vibrating like crazy. Either get them from Toyota, or get original Toyota ones from a wrecking yard.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >Your public library probably has what you need to get started

If you decide not to buy a factory authorized service manual, your public library may have access to AllData from their computers. I sometimes download the internet pages complete with pictures to my USB memory then plug it in at home and view the same things I saved, page by page.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I would suggest letting a tech. do it. I have an "86" Tercel that I had the axles replaced on already because of the torn CV boots. It much easier and cost effective to just get axles right away. Get the axles that are not original equipment. They are just as good as the originals and are gauranteed for as long as you own the vehicle. Even the OEM toyota axles don't come with that kind of warranty!
  • The_kingThe_king Member Posts: 4
    My wife has a 96' Toyota corolla. and when its cold outside it squeals. and when i turn hard it also squeals. is that a belt? :confuse:
    Yes, it could be a loose or worn belt or possibly a bad tensioner. The tensioners were notoriously bad on the older Corollas. In fact there were a few recalls for them. The tensioner is the steel wheel that the belt rotates on that keeps tension on the belt so it don't slip.
    great... lets get to work.... thanks.
    I completely disagree with buying only OEM Toyota axles. I have bought several rebuilt axles over the years and they have held up just fine and have been completely trouble free. There is no need to buy an OEM product that cost 3 times the price and doesn't come with a lifetime warranty. Never have I once suffered from vibrations because of a rebuilt axle. Hell, I don't know anyone else that has experienced problems with rebuilt axles and to be honest that's all we have ever used for Toyota's and Honda's.
    I think I specified not to buy rebuilt axles made in China. Sure, if you can find a reliable domestic or Japanese rebuilt unit, go for it. Also remember that this person wanted to do the job herself, and may not have access to the same sources you do---that's why I picked the easiest and safest ones for her---reputable junkyard or Toyota dealer. So I was specifically trying to advise a DIYer on this job, not you, who have vastly more experience. But thanks for bringing that up, that was also good advice.
    The ignition in my 96' corolla acts like the steering wheel is locked, even when its not. It does it every time i try to start the car. Sometimes it takes me 5 minutes to get it to let me start the car. Do i need to replace the ignition?
    You should try getting an original key cut first. I know I posted all this info before for someone else. However, briefly what's going on is that there are split waffers inside the ignition door and trunk locks. These split waffers start to wear and when they do they start to slip by on the worn key preventing the ignition from turning. Try an original cut key first. You can do this by a couple methods. Go to the dealer and see if they are still able to look up your cars key code by the vin number. Usually they can only go back 10 years but I have seen Toyota and Honda go back even further than the 10 years that we (Locksmiths) use as a rule of thumb. If they can provide you with the key code I highly recommend taking that code to a local locksmith over having the dealer cut the key. Several reasons why but the main is let the professionals do it right the first time and the professional is not the dealer when it comes to cutting original keys that is. If that doesn't fix your problem the Locksmith should be able to rebuild the ignition and make sure you ask him to leave out the 2 sets of split waffers found in the ignition. I do this automatically to prevent future problems but some may just put new ones in. I advise against this because they are the root of the problem and the only way to really prevent problems like these from happening again. Also, lubricate the ignition with WD-40, Tri-Flow, or LockSaver. DO NOT USE GRAPHITE ON ANYTHING LOCK RELATED!!!! If you need anymore assistance I will try to help you out the best I can. If you are located in the DC area I will be more than happy to fix your issues as well.
    To be honest I have never paid any attention to where the axles were rebuilt. Something I have never seemed to worry about especially when it's something you need in a pinch on a Sunday and pretty much everything else around is closed. Everything is made in china now. Even the Japanese companies are outsourcing the once Made in Japan products. It's China, Taiwan, or Malaysia for almost everything unless you are buying higher end products which are still made there.
    Does this technique apply to the door locks too? the passenger side door wont unlock with the use of the key?
    Hi,
    I have corolla 09 on lease. If I opt for private car servicing from Mr Lube or something...instead of getting it done from Toyota service centre, then does it effect the warranty of my car in any sense ?
    No you don't have to take the car to Toyota to keep your warranty. You can go anywhere or even do it yourself. Just keep your receipts from wherever you go or from where you purchased the parts if you decide to do the service yourself. Note it in the owners manual as well (there is a section for logging your services).
    Thanks for the clarrification man....
    Can you suggest some good places apart from Mr Lube. Also is it only oil change after 8000Km for 1st service or anything else is also to be taken care of ?
    My car is not giving any problems as such...
  • mnappi0606mnappi0606 Member Posts: 14
    What is the recommended oil change frequency for a 2010 corolla?
    On all my cars I try to change the oil at 3k miles. Some will say it's overkill some will agree. Either way I wouldn't go over 5k on regular or dino oils. Don't use fram filters and you should be good. I'd highly recommend 3 months 3k mile oil changes on Toyota's though as they have a history of oil sludge problems and frequent oil changes are a sure fire way to help prevent them.
    It's in your manual as well as the other maintenance issues you should be paying attention to.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    7500 miles is what Toyota says on Synth oil ( Mobil 1 ) as far as sludge there has been no issues for years.

MNF
  • mnappi0606mnappi0606 Member Posts: 14
    Cool! I was hoping that was the case. That is the same as my Accord!

Thanks a lot!
  • yusuf2173yusuf2173 Member Posts: 14
    Hello I just purchased a 1993 toyota corolla manual 5speed. It runs great, but when I first start it up it idles so low the car begins to shake a little bit then it shuts off. It seems that if i give it a few RPM'S for about 1 minute or drive it for a while then it goes away. There has been fresh gas put in the tank but im guessing that maybe since the car was sitting in the impound lot for about 6 months that maybe I need to put an additive in the tank to clean the injectors. Does anyone think that It could be something else maybe serious.