Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    any car uses more gas during colder weather as it takes longer for the engine to warm up. can't really blame this on the car manufacturer. just like my sienna, i use more gas driving the vehicle between short distances - more so during cold weather.
  • rlee777rlee777 Member Posts: 7
    With all the notes on poor mileage on the new 2003 Corolla, let me chime in that lately my mileage on my 98 Corolla has been awful. For years it has remained above 30 mpg even with primarily city driving. Recently it has dropped to 21-24 mpg. The injectors are clean and no apparent engine problems. Replaced plugs, cleaned throttle body, and replaced air filter.

Strange...have the refiners changed the gas formulation perhaps??
  • dcddcd Member Posts: 25
    For those wondering what this problem is, it is bad! You will know if you have it. I test drove an 03 CE built in Japan with 350 miles on it. The interior smelled like a stink bomb before I even started it. After the 10 mile or so test drive, I got used to it. But when I parked and turned engine off, the cabin filled up with Sulfur aroma. The salesman said it was because the car was new, and it would go away. I still tried to negotiate a deal, and they would not come off MSRP. I drove down the street and bought a Civic.
  • boilermanboilerman Member Posts: 35
    Congratulations! VERY SMART MOVE! The sulfur problem DOES NOT go away! Toyota and their dealerships have been lying and lying about this problem! They do not admit the 2003 Corolla has ANY problems! Sulfur and poor gas mileage is VERY COMMON in the 2003 Corolla, especially in cold weather!This is coming from a 6 time Toyota owner, but this 2003 Corolla will be the LAST Toyota! Good luck with the Honda!
  • hurler4hurler4 Member Posts: 104
    Does anyone know of a solution to the glare that comes from the rings around the gauges in the Matrix? I am thinking of buying a Matrix, but am prone to migraines from light glare. I’d be really upset if I bought the car, then realize that I am getting migraines all the time from the glare!
    Does Toyota have black or matte versions of the rings? Or has anyone out there tried anything that has worked? So many people I talk to who have the Matrix or Vibe say it can be very irritating to deal with.
  • canoe2canoe2 Member Posts: 128
    Have been cold days (below -25C) in last weeks.
    It proves out the fix I made for speedo noise it works (see message #825).
  • suzysubaru1suzysubaru1 Member Posts: 1
    I love my Matrix but the gas and brake pedals are too high for me, causing serious pain in feet, legs and lower back. Toyota service mgr said there is no adjustment, nor can the seat be moved higher. The hatch door does not open high enough for me; I keep hitting my head and shoulder on it. Car only has 1100 miles on it, but will be sold soon unless a solution is found. By the way, I am only 5 ft. 5" tall. Anyone else have these problems?
  • stillageekstillageek Member Posts: 114
    I am 6 ft tall and have no problem at all fitting in my Matrix. The only problem I have is how close to pedals are (I wear a size 13 shoe....problem in all cars but not trucks). The rear hatch height isn't a problem either. I just perform a slight "ducking" manuver. I love my car. I have had it 3 months and it brings a smile to my face every time I rev it to 8K RPM's. I don't race my car or anything silly. I am past my "hey look at me days". I am 25 and use my Matrix XRS as my "fun" car. My everyday car is a company issued Pontiac Aztek.
  • drew48drew48 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently driving an 03 corolla LE with a five speed transmission. I love the car when it doesn't smell like dirty farts Also I was wondering if anyone else that has a five speed corolla hears a rubbing noise when releasing the clutch the car has 15000k's on it and I will be amazed if the clutch is already shot in it. If anyone else hears this rubbing noise mostly when switching to reverse, please reply or if anyone has any suggestions on what the noise might be please reply.
  • LuzerLuzer Member Posts: 119
    I hope the mpg gets better than my current 27mpg in mixed driving, in warmer weather.

I think thaw the MTBE stuff lowers mpg, although Gas Co denies that.

My '89 Corolla mpg did not vary much until the MTBE came around in the early 90's.

I still get about 28 mpg (EPA was 27/30) with the 1.6 carb, at I think 90hp.

Vibe gets me 27 in the same commute (EPA = 28/33)
    1.8 FI with 130hp.

I'm trying to stay below 75mph on the highway in the next few tanks to see if it goes up.

Also noted that the RPM's goes from 2500 to 2200 to 2000 from 75mph to 65mph to 55mph.

Technically, I should see a 5mpg increase if I drive closer to 55mph, but that will never happen...
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    not sure how you came to that "technical" conclusion, but if you routinely go 55 versus 75, you will definitely improve by a couple of mpg.

the '89 weighed about 400 pounds less, and had a lower profile for better aerodynamics, so it had advantages in the fuel economy game that the Vibe/Matrix doesn't have.

suzysubaru: I never use the hatch door, always use the glass window, so I don't know about that, but you can "tip" the driver's seat bottom back and forward, so it might help to tip the front higher - this will bend your leg more and have the effect of moving the pedals "further away".

Of course, I am 5'9" and have no problem even with the seat tipped forward.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• trujillo2000trujillo2000 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you all who have posted comments about where they live. After talking to a mechanic friend and checking out the EPA web site, it looks like every state except California will have problems with the Sulfur smell. California is the ONLY state with low sulfur content. Therefore, EVERYONE else should experience this problem. I aked Toyota about this and they said automobile manfactures are not required to provide a system to handle sulfur content in gasoline. Well, aperantly they did when the 2003 model Corolla has problems and previous models do not.

In regards to the mileage issue, my mechanic offered this suggestion, the catalytic converter may be getting clogged up do to it's inability to properly handle the sulfur content. If this is the case then the engine has to work harder do to blockage in the exhaust line. Just a thought.

Thinking about buying the Honda Civic.
    with the problem of the headlights flashing on and off all day long especially in bright sunshine, Toyota now has a TSB for this problem, and I have had the fix done for my car.

Not only is the new sensor they put in a more sensitive receptor, but the programming is changed to allow more time after an ambient light change before activating the lights.

The short version: it works really well, and has fixed this problem! The dealer needed three days to get the new sensor from a regional warehouse - the local was out of stock - but then it only needed a half hour to install. And it was free.

Check it out!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

yeah, new sensor!

does it work well at 2:00PM on a partly cloudy day with the sensor block?

What is TSB number?
    A link would be nice.
    Looked again at the RPM's this weekend while on cruise control

75 mph, RPM = 2900
    65 mph, RPM = 2600
    55 mph, RMP = 2200

since the engine is spinning less, that should correlate to less gas used.

Therefore, from 75 to 65, (2900-2600)/2900 = 10.3% more mpg.

From 75 to 55, should be about 24% more

So if avg 27 mpg at 75, should get 29.7mpg at 65; and 33 mpg at 55.

Now this would be perfect if not for stop and go.
    For Business ppl, this is "fixed". For Engineers, Stop and Go can be considered a "bias".

But the more highway you do, closer to these speeds, you should attain these mpg - in a perfect world.

FOR YOU STINKERS -
    I have been seeing BP signs in the NY area that states their gas have lower Sulfer content in 40 cities - but I do not use them - yet.

Any opinions on bp?
    let's extend this formula then: I will drive around all day with the clutch engaged at stall speed, say 1000 rpm. On this tank I will get a whopping 66% better gas mileage, or about 50 mpg, the same as what the hybrid cars get - yay!

I am sorry, but this unfortunately does not take into account other factors such as load, grade, wind resistance, etc. In fact, the relationship is not linear at all, so that your mileage may drop a very little bit from 55 to 65 mph, but then drop a whole lot more from 65 to 75.

On the TSB issue, this was all told to me at the dealership, so I have no on-line link. I am waiting to get the final paperwork in the mail, at which time I may or may not be able to confirm the part numbers previously posted here by someone else who had this done. However, it really does work - consult your dealer.

It works at any time of day, even on bright sunny days, which as you folks who have had this annoying problem will know, is the worst kind of day for this problem.

In a typical world on a typical day (no hurricanes, snow etc), I offer this -

If you drive the same road over and over, the physical parameters (road grade, wind resistance etc) should be accounted for in the reading of the tach.

The numbers I listed were on a relatively flat highway road at night - road friction and wind resistance should be accounted for in the tach, as this is real world.

In our typical highway driving range, you should experience about a 10% mileage increase if you drop 10mph.

Now factor in your city/highway mix accordingly.
    If 20% of time (not miles) are on local roads, then you should only get 10% better 80% of the time ==> 0.1 x 0.08 = 8% better mpg for each 10 mph drop.

Any Mech Engineer or Physics guy here who can offer a thought?
  • friendly_jacekfriendly_jacek Member Posts: 96
    I am not an Engineer, but didn't occur to you that the lower the RPM, the lower the speed, ofsetting the calculation?

So yes, the engine takes less gas per HOUR but not necessarily per MILE.

If your formula was correct, the closer RPM to zero the higher the MPG. Obviously not true or all the cars would be cruising at 0.1 RPM to save fuel (783000 mpg according to your calculation).

Acctually, the physical fuel efficiency of the 1zz-fe engine itself is the highest at the 3000 RPM, but you save gas at lower RPM and speed because of lower air resistance and lower energy losses in the drivetrain and tires.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Look at Honda Accord Problems board - same complaints about sulfur smell. Must not be just Toyota!
    3000 RPM's?
    Where can I get info like that?

Good points - I was looking for something to think about.

Let's relate to a bicycle, one of the most efficient vehicles around.

Pump too fast - get tired real fast.
    Go too fast - wind slows you down + wind effect
    Go too slow - get sleepy
    Go just right - do best? (3000 RPM's?)

Where am I going with this?
    I thought about this again - such a geek...

All physical parameters will be reflected in the RPM, wind, wheel other friction type forces.

So in the highway range of 55 to 75, you should experience the best mileage around the range where the engine and gearing is best tuned for.
  • hhomerhhomer Member Posts: 15
    I hate to add to the technicalities, but my Matrix resides at 3400 RPM at 75 mph. Am I the only one with such High RPMs?
    celica engine in the XRS is supposed to rev pretty high - it keeps it in its powerband better. So 3400 rpm @ 75 mph sounds about right.

Luzer: at highway speeds, it is not only the engine and gearing match-up, but also the aerodynamics of the particular vehicle that dictate A LOT what the curve of decreasing fuel efficiency will be as the speed increases.

As a general trend, a car that has no problem going 140 mph will have lower fuel economy throughout its powerband, but it will drop very slowly as highway speeds increase.

A car that is pushing it just to get to 80-90 mph probably gets much better mileage at lower speeds, but it begins to drop pretty dramatically as soon as you get over 55 mph.

That is JUST A TREND, not a hard-and-fast rule.

• terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    My "01" Corolla squeals for about a minute when I turn the steering wheel when starting on a cold winter morning. I did look at the belts that I could find and they all seem to be tight enough. Any suggestions. It still is under warranty.
    I got my paperwork back for the new relay assembly for the twilight sensor. The part # is the same as posted above: #82810-02033. I guess this is a relay better calibrated to its location on the dash in the Matrix.

More importantly, it notes on the paperwork that "service bulletin EL007-02/replace relay" was performed.

So I guess this is the number of the TSB for this twilight sensor problem.

• jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    One of the belts is slipping, probably because there may be a little oil on it. If you want to avoid a trip to the dealer, try taking a cake of soap, and VERY CAREFULLY [to avoid injury] put the soap cake up against each edge of the belt[s] with the engine running. This may solve the problem. Can't emphasize enough that this takes care to avoid hurting yourself - if you have doubts, take it to a dealer and let them handle it.
    the '01 have a serpentine belt?

• tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    no
  • lefttrunlefttrun Member Posts: 8
    Today I went to have an oil change for my 00' Corolla CE. The mechanic checked prior to the
    service and noted that engine oil was half a quarter low. Last time I changed oil was almost
    6 months ago ( I drove little, less than 3000 miles in these 6 months).

My question is, was that missing half quarter oil an indication of some engine problem, or was
    it simply because the engine was still hot? Thanks for any help on this.
    your mechanic didn't check it the instant you shut it down - he/she should know better. Otherwise, it just means your engine is consuming a little oil now, and to extrapoltae the numbers you have provided, it is using a quart of oil every 6000 miles, which is no big deal. It would probably be a good idea to start checking the oil level every once in a while, just to keep an eye on oil loss.

Also check under your car and see if a regular old leak has developed, making an oily patch on the ground where you park.

Maybe it was always low.

Check it yourself once it's changed and note the level. Check it periodically.

IMO, you should not have lost 1/2 quart oil in your scenario.
  • autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    Corolla have a "timing chain" or " timimg belt"? Please advise. Thank you!
  • alkoalko Member Posts: 13
    I just bought a new 2003 LE. It runs good.
    2 problems though -

1) an annoying loud click coming somewhere from glove compartment area every time I switch head lights on/off

2) sun visor on driver side, when lowered, touches back view mirror. I can not beleive it.

Does anyone else noticed 1 and 2 above? I can live with 1 (though it's kind of unexpected from brand new toyota) but 2 is absolutely crazy...
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    1 It's the sound of the relay which controls the headlights, get used to it.

2 Is your rear view mirror misplaced on the windshield? Does it touch the passenger's sun visor too?
  • fgf001fgf001 Member Posts: 98
    Look a little closer....the mirror has TWO swivel points and can be easily moved to the right and readjusted so the visor misses it. The click you are hearing is a relay (it should NOT be heard, we own two '03's and neither makes the noise) and may need to be replaced under warranty. If you find your headlights come on by themselves when it turns cold (car off) there is a TSB from Toyota to repair this. They replaced the DRL relay and the entire turn signal/light stalk on mine. I won't know if it's repaired until another cold snap wanders in.....IF it does, I'm in Texas.
  • terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    Cocerning my posting #847 about the slight and very short termed belt squeal upon cold starts when turning steering wheel slightly. Turns out that the dealer told me Toyota actually has a bulletin out to replace the belt and belt tensioner and possibly the power steering pump (if it is needed), to take care of this problem. All of course are covered under the warranty should it still be in effect, as my Corolla is. This is very suprising to me as this noise is so very slight and short termed that I was not even going to take it in if it weren't for the fact that the warranty is shortly coming to an end on my vehicle. I thought maybe I could avoid an expense down the road after the warranty expired should it actually get worse. Now I guess I'm glad I did. This is the very first problem I had with this car in 2 1/2 years.
    ...has a chain. The new engine was part of the switch to the body that was introduced in the '98 model year. The engine in the new-gen ['03] car is a small upgrade on the same basic design that is in your car.
    Thanks for the info on the timimg chain/belt. I thought it had a chain but wasn't exactly sure. I'm not the owner of the car but the owner is a woman friend of mine who was told by Toyota service dept. that it had a timing belt. Thanks again!
  • toyotalgaltoyotalgal Member Posts: 13
    greetings fellow Corolla owners -

I have had my 2001 LE for almost 2 yrs now and I'm happy to report NO PROBLEMS whatsoever - today I filled up and was pleased to find out that I got 32.7 mpg on my last tank of gas - this is all city driving and I have the 4-speed auto tranny - I love my car and do not regret my decision to purchase it at all! I have to confess that I love the new styling of the 2003, but my car has been flawless so far so I really cannot complain about that -
  • sonny18sonny18 Member Posts: 5
    I love my new corolla -s. The only thing about it is the steering wheel is too far away from you with the seat back. Because the pedals are so close, you have to move the seat back to get some leg room. That moves you too far away from the steering wheel, making you have to reach for the top of it when needed. Does anyone have a solution that they have found to this problem?
    4 runner has a telescoping wheel, I wonder if they are interchangeable?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    My '99 LE is perfect, zero problems, 36 mph highway winter, 39 mpg highway summer, 5 speed manual. These Corollas are great - just be sure to take care of them and use only Toyota parts, and they will reward you with a LONG, trouble-free life!
  • jojo02jojo02 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Corolla S that I purchased in July 2002. Lately I have been noticing a difference in the volume of the radio versus the cd player. I dont know if its always been like this, but it is definently discernable now. When on the same volume setting, the cd player is louder than the radio. It's pretty annoying because everytime I switch from CD to radio I have to adjust the volume.

Anyone else notice this or know what might be causing it?
  • berkelyblueberkelyblue Member Posts: 9
    I have a 1997 toyota corolla DX with a power sunroof, but it's not working. The fuse is good since it's on the power window fuse, and the switch seems to be fine(continuity checked) so this kinda narrows down to the relay or the motor, motor seems the unlikely culprit so I'm trying to see if the relay is the problem, but I'm having trouble locating the sunroof control relay, does anyone know where it is, or know where I can find out(for free?)? also anyone know how I can verify the motorl works? can I just hook up a 12 volt DC source?
    that 4Runner and corolla steering wheels are interchangeable! You will either have to live with it or trade up for a car with a telescoping wheel.

the diff between sound levels radio vs CD is simply the signal level of the CD. Some CDs are recorded louder than others, some faint faraway staions on the radio will consequently sound quieter.

• sonny18sonny18 Member Posts: 5
    i hope that enough people have the same problem with the steering wheel being too far away from them, that maybe toyota will come up with some type of "spacer" or something that will allow the wheel to be moved back maybe 3 inches.
    the engineer who desinged the pedel and wheel placement must have been built like a monkey- short legs and long arms!
  • jeff_l1jeff_l1 Member Posts: 5
    has anyone installed an alarm in their '03 Corolla, OEM or aftermarket? Please see Msg #326 about my problem with aftermarket alarm. Does your alarm's remote work like the factory remote? Is there such thing as OEM alarm, and why I didn't get it here in NY?
  • jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    i have an aftermarket system in my 03 corolla. yes, alarms can be programmed to work like the OEM alarm or OEM keyless entry. be reminded though that some cheap alarm systems have limited functions. if your alarm is a decent unit or a high end unit then it should be able to function like the OEM. read your alarm manual and it'll tell you how to operate and program it properly. different alarms have different ways of programming. you didnt mention how many buttons does your remote have. nowadays, remotes have at least 3 buttons. you can program the alarm so button #1 opens driver door and button #2 opens all doors and button #3 pops open the trunk, etc. if you have 2 or more button remote, check to see if you can program your alarm to use the other button to open all doors instead of pressing the same button twice.

yes there is a toyota OEM alarm system. for canadian models, OEM system cost over C$600. the aftermarket i chose cost me C$280 taxes included! it can do everything the OEM system can do!
  • jeff_l1jeff_l1 Member Posts: 5
    my dealer installed a 'Checkmate' alarm when i bought my Corolla. i have no idea how good it is, but the remote has 3 buttons, lock, unlock and option. i'll try to do what jeprox suggested. since the trunk cannot be open by remote anyway, i'll find out if the option button can be programmed to unlock all doors instead.
    ...got to do with the subject at hand? I trust our host from Edmunds will take care of this soon...