Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• onirudhaonirudha Member Posts: 3
    Thanks.
  • flip95flip95 Member Posts: 3
    2007 corolla,check engine light on,codes indicating canister needs replaced. do it yourself or not ? have read a lot of upset owners post in other forums on this topic. also have seen some reference to an 8 year warrwnty on emissions equipment. anyone tried this avenue?
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Why are owners upset? Sounds like routine maintenence to me. Are these cannisters supposed to last the life of the car?
    thanks for your reply. the charcoal canister may well be a routine maint. item.the cost is what is out of line, seeing estimates from 360 to 700.if this is needed every three years by-by toyota.
  • nreddynreddy Member Posts: 1
    My car also have similar problem. I have 2005 Toyota Corolla, Manual doors ,and locks. Passenger door lock key wont work from out side. It only works on driver side door and it only unlocks driver side door. To open any door other than driver side, first i have to open driver side open other doors from inside. Please suggest what could be the problem?

Thank you.
  • bstarbuckbstarbuck Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla, the air condition stopped working suddenly a few weeks back, I know how to do low to mid level repairs on cars as I was raised by a mechanic. I've now replaced everything on the car I figured could be the cause of this and I am at my wits end. New compressor, new relay, new air condition pressure cycling switch, and I filled the system, 1/2 can liquid in the high line, gas in the low, and nothing.... Anyone have any suggestions at all to anything I could be overlooking?
  • JDM5LugHatchJDM5LugHatch Member Posts: 30
    Are you losing freon? Maybe a hole in the condenser? Check for clogs in the fresh air intake? Does it work but not blow cold air?
  • mnvprasadmnvprasad Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone,

In My 2007 Toyota corolla(36k miles) there is no power for radio,clock,power outlet and power side mirrors.
    Suddenly this problem started today afternoon.
    Nothing different happened today.
    Please let me know if anybody have this same problem and the solution for this if known?
    Thanks,
    Prasad
  • debjeffdebjeff Member Posts: 9
    I was told that my 2007 Corolla needed to have the serpentine belt replaced because it was cracking. I did have it replaced. Every since, I notice this sqeaking-squealing sound when the car is idle with or without the air conditioner on. Was this a bad belt?

Thanks for the help.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    It might be a bad belt, it could also be a bad tensioner.
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    Have you checked for blown fuses?
  • james2011james2011 Member Posts: 12
    Took my 2009 Corolla in to the dealership for regular oil change. The tech comes out and says that I haven't been rotating my tires. But I have regularly, once the day before. Asked for Repair Manager and he says that most worn tires go on the back not the front as the tire place has done. Anyone had this happen? Dealership writes it up in the notes on the receipt they give me and that goes to Toyota, right? It makes it seem as though I am not maintaining my car, which I am. Called the tire place and they said that they rotated correctly, the Dealership should go to training.

Also, there is major wrinkling on the driver seat and the front passenger fabric seats. Just the left side, an area about 8 inches long but it looks odd. I think this is a warranty issue as I have had the car 18 months and have never had any car do this before. I have rented similar Toyotas with a lot more miles and never saw this before. The Dealership, same tech says this is normal wear and tear.

Anyone had these issues before?
    I have not gotten any response for my question since yesterday. It is my first post. Am I doing anything wrong?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    No, you did it right. Sometimes it just takes awhile - also, your question was whether anyone else had these problems. If no one else has had a similar issue, they may not be able to comment. But keep checking back...

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I wouldn't worry about tire rotation being a reason to deny you warranty service. I have three Corollas(one an "09") and my basic rule of thumb is when the front tires start looking worn I put them on the back and bring the rears front if they have not been there yet or otherwise buy new fronts This way I always have good tires in the front for bad weather accereration and braking. Why wait until all four are bad to buy new? A wrinkle in the seat fabric on a "09" Corolla is diffinitely a warranty issue. Demand them to take care of it or go to another Toyota dealership.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Toyota doesn't even warranty the tires---the tire company does, and they will only pro-rate wear, so really this is a non-issue in my opinion, unless the tire wear is excessive and unusual.

I'd have to see a photo of the seat to comment further.
    Question: I am told that the cabin air filter needs to be replaced at $54. Why is that a necessary maintenance item? What happens if I don't replace it? Is it something that I can do or do you need one of those 2009 Corollas special tools like for changing the oil?
    You can do it yourself, it's easy. It is important for the maximum efficiency of your AC system. A badly clogged cabin filter will restrict AC output.
    Thanks for the reply. I am not a confident mechanic or a mechanic at all. Where do I get directions? Where can one buy an aftermarket cabin air filter, or should I get a dealer filter?

Appreciate any and all help!
    Okay I'm going by memory here----*most* toyotas work like this. You open the glove box door---then you press on the left and right sides of the box and this drops the door all the way down. **You may also have to disconnect a little retaining arm prior to dropping the glovebox door out of the way. Then either with a few screws or just by pulling you take out the glove compartment inner box. The filter is right behind that. You'll see some clips that hold the filter in. The dealer labor rate is 3/10th of one hour so that's not much more than sneezing. This might be in your owner's manual as well.

ROCK AUTO has your filter for $6.60! (the 1.8L engine. I didn't look up the 2.4L--might be the same).
    Thanks I will check that out. The dealership wants $54 plus 9% tax.

I am not confident that I can do this. I do okay with the taking apart, it is the putting back together that is always the problem. That and losing parts mid way.
    Oh c'mon, you're not going to lose the glove compartment. :P

It's so easy even a cave man can do it.
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Do all Toyota's have the cabin air filter ?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Most cars built in the past 10 years have cabin air filters.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Well I'm sure all Toyotas have some kind cabin air filter, but it's only been since 2003 that Toyota made these owner replaceable. Earlier models were not meant to be replaced. Cost about $68.00 at a dealer for these filters and can be changed in 10 minutes by the owner.
    Some of the Scion models have a place for them but no filters installed. My 2003 MINI has one, but my 2006 Scion did not.
    THis is what the dealership says about my tire rotation. I had rotated the tires at a local tire dealer the day before they saw my Corolla. The tire shop put the ones with the most wear on the front. I don't know whether to go back to the tire shop and say rotate these correctly or tell the dealership they are offbase. I need some feedback. Thanks

"you do not want tires at the rear of your vehicle that have less of a contact patch with the road than the front. In your case there is only a 3/32 of an inch difference. You will experience greater tire wear on the front tires than you will in the rear. This is due to it being a front wheel drive vehicle. With your tires in the current positions the tires on the front will wear out long before the rear tires will. You will then be replacing two tires at a time. If they are rotated and the tires that have more tread are placed in the front they will catch up to the wear of the rear tires and the whole set will match."
    I have had my Corolla for 20,000 miles. The two front seats have considerable wrinkling of the fabric on the seats on the left edges. The passenger side seat is rarely used. I thought it might have been from getting in and out of the car, until I saw that the passenger side is also wrinkled. The dealership says it is normal wear, but I have looked at used Toyotas and Toyotas used as rentals with a lot more mileage that do not have any wrinkling at all. I took it to a local upholstery shop and they said that the foam under the fabric was insufficent so it has wrinkled. Please give some feedback.

Thanks
    See post #3557 - Forget about what the dealer said? You got the better tires on the front now where they belong. Disregard the dealer's statement and enjoy your car. The dealer just wanted more of your money to rotate them again.
    Not normal wear. Insist on repair !
    Have my first small problem with my "09" Corolla. A.C. smells on start-up. Odor resembles urine but I know it isn't. This odor quickly dissappears. Any ideas?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Mold/fungus. Maybe a plugged AC drain, or just fungus build up. Do you have the AC in "max/recirc" a lot? That can cause this problem. Here's an article that has some ideas for cleaning the system and preventing the problem in the future:

http://car-reviews.suite101.com/article.cfm/bad_smell_from_cars_air_conditioner
    Take out the cabin filter and discard if dirty. Then spray with something like OZIUM odor-killer (not just a "fragrance"), into the filter space. Also a quick squirt into the AC ducts. Then put in a fresh filter and that should help a lot.
    Backy and Mr. Shiftright thanks for the good advice on the stinky A.C., I'll let you know what works.
    I had a foul and nasty odor in my MINI and I did just what I told you and, in my case, it worked great. I chose the "fresh vanilla" OZIUM and now I get hungry every time I turn on the AC. :P

Just kidding---the scent is very subtle and OZIUM is an odor-killer, not a masking scent.
  • geodrivegeodrive Member Posts: 20
    Hey...
    Thatz some very useful information.
    I've a 09 corolla and I also feel same problem at times. But for me it's mostly when I turn on the FAN only.
    Anyhow, can we buy 09 corolla cabin filter from Canadian Tire or somewhere ?
    and if I replace it by myself, does it affect the warranty of the Car?
    You can buy a cabin filter I believe from Rock Auto online (www.rockauto.com).

And no, there's no affect on warranty--it's pretty hard to mess this up. Of course, if you break a plastic case or something by doing something you shouldn't have----well then.
  • geodrivegeodrive Member Posts: 20
    Alright...I will try it.
    Recently I got it changed (1st time) from Toyota Service Center and they charged like 66$ for a new one (which includes service charges too).
    Also I end up paying 45$ to fix my flat tire.
    It was my first time but I learnt my lesson that one should not go to Toyota Service Center for a flat tire or for that matter - replacing a cabin filter.
    I had a Scion xA and the only thing I went to Toyota for was:

1. warranty service

2. dirty nasty things I didn't want to do

3. something I didn't want to take the time to learn, or needed a special tool for.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    >if I replace it by myself, does it affect the warranty of the Car?

I'd suggest using Google to search for "change corolla cabin filter" and do it yourself if it's easy enough.

You can pick up a Purolator cabin filter at PepBoys made in the USA.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

What makes you think it would it affect the warranty? You have the right to work on your own car. As long as you keep a log or record of the REQUIRED services, your fine.
    >think it would it affect the warranty?

Huh? Nobody mentioned warranty in my post... confused.

Yeah, somebody mentioned "warranty" in your post #3583 - if not you then who? Or are you trying to quote "Geodrive" with that funny arrow ( >) you put in front of your question?

Are you still confused ????
    edited June 2010
    >somebody mentioned "warranty" in your post #3583 - if not you then who?

That was geodrive, a quote from another post.

Nobody mentioned "warranty" in my post.

Yeah okay, I must be seeing things!

What did that purolater cabin air filter set you back at Pep boys? How does it compare in quality to the Fram "Fresh Breeze" cabin or the OEM cabin filter?
    Just found out there is a TSB ( # T-SB-0384-09) for replacement of the evaporators on 2009/2010 Corollas for the A.C. odor problem. Certain vins are covered under the 36 month 36,000 warranty.

Here's the link:
    http://www.empirepao.com/tsb/T-SB-0384-09.pdf
    Thanks for the reply Tom. Is there a Toyota bulletin on the seat fabric being replaced? I took it in to an upholstery shop that does work for another Toyota dealer and they said definitely, this is not normal wear. They said that there was not enough foam or it was shaped improperly for it to wrinkle up and have folds in it as it now does. They said that that section of the seat needs to have the cover pulled on and a better piece/fit of foam put on there.

I think that the upholstery is ruined on the two seats in that area. The dealership that I took it to said it is normal wear and tear on a year and a half car! The same tech who said that the tires were rotated wrong.

What do you think? Is there a repair bulletin on this?

Thanks
    No sounds like your Corolla's seats just snuck through production not being up to standards.
    Talked to a buddy of mine who works at my local Toyota dealership. I asked him about the TSB for the evaporator replacement. He said while the TSB states the the replacement job takes 4.5 hours to complete he said it's more like a 6 hour job as the whole dash has to be removed first just to get to the evaporator. So I guess I'm going to live with this odor for about 30 seconds when I first turn on my A.C. rather than have my whole car torn apart for the replacement. He did give me the Petro A/C Chemical cleaner that most Toyota dealers use and sell to try on my car. They'll do it for you for about $60.00 but really, it only takes about 30 minutes of your time to do it yourself. The only drawback is you have to crawl halfway under the car to get to the A/C drain hose. This is a two can foam system; you shoot half the can up the rubber A.C. drain hose into the evaporator. After it turns to a liquid and drains out you repeat with the second half of the can. After that, you use the smaller 6 oz. can to totally disinfect the air intake and ductwork. I did this last night, I'll post about my success with this or not.