Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

1707172737476»

Comments

• curatsucuratsu Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I just took my 1995 automatic car in for an oil-change and was given a list of things I needed to have done for a cost of $1,000 plus tax. It came as a bit of a shock since none of this came up when i had my annual inspection in June (from the same place).

Can anyone advise whether this is a realistic list of maintenance things and if $1000 is a reasonable cost:
    Timing belt and water pump. Tune-up, power steering flush, coolant flush, battery service, tire rotation, fuel induction service.
    Many thanks.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Is this at a dealer? That would explain the high price.

How do they know the timing belt and water pump are due for replacement? 60k miles is a more normal time for that. Do you know if the car has had the timing belt replaced before? If so, it shouldn't need another one. If not, might not be a bad idea if you plan on keeping the car. I've seen dealers charge ~$400 to replace a timing belt.

What's included in the "tune up"? Doesn't this car have electronic ignition? So what are they going to do, replace the spark plugs or ???

If the car hasn't had a power steering flush or coolant flush before, might be a good idea, especially the coolant flush.

What will they do on the "battery service"? Check it and clean the terminals maybe?

What's "fuel induction service"? Are they going to put some overpriced fuel cleaner in? Is this a "dealer special" or does Toyota's recommended factory service specify it?

All this... and no brake check or other stuff that might actually be useful??

IMO much of this might not be needed, and even if it is, you could probably find a good mechanic who would do the work for a lot less.
    Backy, many thanks for your reply. The quote I got was from a full-service auto repair shop (they don't sell cars) and when I asked him if the recommendations were based on the mileage or by actually looking at things he said both. I know I had my breaks replaced some time ago and a few other things -- i don't believe i've ever had the timing belt or water pump replaced. I hear that most people replace these two things at the same time because it's most efficient.

So, it sounds like the timing belt and water pump are the most costly things to do. Perhaps I should get an additional quote or two from others.
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    I would agree with the timing belt and plugs(tune-up)for sure as you are definitely overdue for these services. Your lucky the timing belt didn't break yet as this is usually performed around 60/70 K miles. If it was never done I would also go with the coolant and powersteering, transmission flush and refill. Considering parts and labor cost should be closer to $700.00 then $1000.00 in my book.
    Many thanks Terceltom. I feel like I'm getting a crash course in car repair. I read that a cooling system drain and refill is almost always done with a timing belt and water pump replacement. I'm going to get a second opinion from another local repair shop on cost/things to be done.
  • circuitsmithcircuitsmith Member Posts: 117
    edited November 2013
    If the timing belt hasn't been changed in 18 years you're running on a wing and a prayer.
    The belt degrades with time as well as mileage.
    Seven years is the usual interval.
    I'd also change the brake fluid every 3 years.
    Replace the thermostat and radiator cap every other coolant change.
    I would skip the fuel induction service if it's running OK.
    OTOH I would get the throttle body cleaned every 10 years.
  • fairshadowfairshadow Member Posts: 24
    edited November 2013
    I recently purchased used 2 year old 30k milage 2011 corolla LE from a dealer, while test drive I felt the brake was not responding and it was too soft. Dealer said they will inspect the brake. The inspection report noted the brake was Ok.

After I took the delivery of car I saw the brake was too soft and the brake wont work until the pedal crosses first half and reaches the floor. Next day I took it to nearest different Toyota dealer for servicing. The dealer informed me that they drove the vehicle and found brake to be hard and ok.

I can clearly see the brake is not working even at low speed of 5 mile until the brake pedal is pressed all the way down. The car is still in warranty. I cannot believe dealers and service department blatant lie that everything is OK. I have driven so many car to know how brake works. This car is too dangerous to drive. Seems both car dealer working in tandem to show that everything is fine.
  • circuitsmithcircuitsmith Member Posts: 117
    It had a problem on the test drive and you bought it anyway??
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Always hated our Toyota's brakes in the past and seems they are still lousy in that department. Glad I didn't go look at the new Rav4 as I will no longer buy a first year model again. I have sat in one at work and it seemed to drive nicely and have not seen to many at work yet to drive but one day I will. Used to love Toyota products years ago but they seem to have fallen behind their competition. Hoping the wife will check out the new Corolla next year as it looks nice from the outside and she needs to check out all that she can.

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    I too used to like Toyota products, but I wouldn't purchase one any more. Now I own a Hyundai, and since I bought it half a year ago, I never looked back at Toyota.