Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• socalawdsocalawd Member Posts: 542
    You take the 0% financing and invest the money. My money market yield is 3.19%. 30k 3.19% for 5 years yields 5K+.

Good point!! I was only getting 2% from charles schwab in May. Made no sense do all the credit stuff and have payment. Did you have to decline the rebate to get 0%. You also pay taxes on the interest so let's deduct(It would be about 3000 not 5000 in my tax basis) that's if you want to look at everything. Yes there is alot of factors in buying a car!! Since 0% is not available it's really a moot point until it comes back!!!
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    It's very true. Look at the number of DC vans on the road vs Honda and there should be about 10x as many DC owners posting/praising/complaining/otherwise. The fact is, most Honda owners are more enthusiastic about vehicles and will hang out at a forum to talk about them.

IMHO, anyone with a whim for good performing cars is going to be drawn to the better handling/driving/performing van. I don't like vehicles that handle/drive poorly and even make mods to many of my vehicles that don't perform to my liking. I felt a difference between the Dodge and Honda vans. Not a huge difference, but better is better in my book. There are tons of folks that are perfectly happy driving a Taurus, particularly because it's a bargain. I try to avoid them even at the rental counter.
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    For me it's just the quality issues. Regardless of the Edmunds posts, does anyone here have any accurate quality figures for both the Ody & GC?

If it's quality issues, look at Chrysler/Dodge vans for the last three years on this board and see how many complaints you read. Especially the 2005. Quality in Chrysler vans has gone to an all time high for Chrysler vans. You can also see it on Chrysler message boards.

I admit in earlier years they did have more than their share of problems. That is no longer true today. :D
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    It's very true. Look at the number of DC vans on the road vs Honda and there should be about 10x as many DC owners posting/praising/complaining/otherwise. The fact is, most Honda owners are more enthusiastic about vehicles and will hang out at a forum to talk about them.

IMHO, anyone with a whim for good performing cars is going to be drawn to the better handling/driving/performing van. I don't like vehicles that handle/drive poorly and even make mods to many of my vehicles that don't perform to my liking. I felt a difference between the Dodge and Honda vans. Not a huge difference, but better is better in my book. There are tons of folks that are perfectly happy driving a Taurus, particularly because it's a bargain. I try to avoid them even at the rental counter.

Even if Honda owners are more enthusiastic about vehicles (which I question), the number of DCX owners and probability of problems should cancel this out. I really believe Chrysler is having awesome year, and we're starting to see benefit from Daimler takeover.
    If it's quality issues, look at Chrysler/Dodge vans for the last three years on this board and see how many complaints you read. Especially the 2005. Quality in Chrysler vans has gone to an all time high for Chrysler vans. You can also see it on Chrysler message boards.

I admit in earlier years they did have more than their share of problems. That is no longer true today

I think they're making progress too. But this forum isn't good for telling what the quality is and never will be it's too thin a slice of the population.I saw a guy on the honda board upset that his 1999 Odyssey had a transmission problem after 120,000 miles. He [post multiple times and people tried to explain that 100,000 miles + from a auto isn't that bad. Now I barely see anyone posting in the dodge forum even from the so called bad years makes you wonder huh??
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Even if Honda owners are more enthusiastic about vehicles (which I question), the number of DCX owners and probability of problems should cancel this out.

What's to question? Between the three main Honda Odyssey forums (prices paid, 2005+, and 1999-2004) there are over 21,000 posts. The Caravan and T&C posts have less than 10,000 posts on the same basic threads. There's basically zero activity on these boards from Caravan owners. And in the real-world, they outnumber Odyssey owners by multiples of 3 or 4 just since the Ody has been around.

The fact of the matter is, the Ody is a strong seller for Honda regardless of whether you think they're overpriced. Not everyone buys based on price.
    Even if Honda owners are more enthusiastic about vehicles (which I question), the number of DCX owners and probability of problems should cancel this out. I really believe Chrysler is having awesome year, and we're starting to see benefit from Daimler takeover.

Ok Chrysler is getting better but they've had better reliability then Mercedes for quite some time!!! As to something cancelling out. I'd say NO you would have to know how many dodge owners come on this site vs honda owners! Do you know?? I have a good idea by looking at the most researched vehicles on this site!! The Honda Odyssey is the 6th most researched vehicle. The Caravan and the T&C(Claires can you tell me the place they are in??) are not in the top 50. So tell me where is the interest?? ODYSSEY!!! I know thats too simple for you but all the indicators point to WAY more interest in the ODY!!
    The Honda Odyssey is the 6th most researched vehicle. The Caravan and the T&C(Claires can you tell me the place they are in??) are not in the top 50. So tell me where is the interest?? ODYSSEY!!! I know thats too simple for you but all the indicators point to WAY more interest in the ODY!!

That very well could be because the Dodge/Chrysler is a much older body style and does a lot more advertising. It would be almost impossible for people not to know all about these vans. Meanwhile, the Honda is new, do not advertise that much and I am sure very little is known about them.
    I think they're making progress too. But this forum isn't good for telling what the quality is and never will be it's too thin a slice of the population.I saw a guy on the honda board upset that his 1999 Odyssey had a transmission problem after 120,000 miles. He [post multiple times and people tried to explain that 100,000 miles + from a auto isn't that bad. Now I barely see anyone posting in the dodge forum even from the so called bad years makes you wonder huh??

I would be willing to give you Honda owners post here more than Chrysler/Dodge owners. But you still have to admit, the ones that do post here that have vans that are only three years old are having mostly minor problems or no problems at all. It is amazing how few owners are complaining of the 2003, 2004 and 2005's. I am going on nine months with mine and have only had to have oil changes.

I remember posting one from the Chrysler board (that I got chewed out for ) where the guy with a 2005 wrote he was bored, as there was nothing to write about on his van. It works perfectly after 10 months of ownership. Believe me, I have read plenty of complaints on Chrysler/Dodge vans in the 1990's. Chrysler has really got their act together on the newer vans. They work like they should and they have more electrical components than ever before.
    The Honda Odyssey is the 6th most researched vehicle. The Caravan and the T&C(Claires can you tell me the place they are in??) are not in the top 50. So tell me where is the interest?? ODYSSEY!!! I know thats too simple for you but all the indicators point to WAY more interest in the ODY

People researching is fine, but where are they putting their hard earned $$$$$? Lets's see what Claires comes back with. Also, when you think MINIVAN, most people think of Dodge, it's like "making a xerox" etc... Also, there's many more Dodge/Chrysler dealerships in the US where people can actually go and drive one instead of searching online.
    Also, there's many more Dodge/Chrysler dealerships in the US where people can actually go and drive one instead of searching online.

The dealership, that must be where there complaining too!! I think you figured it out. THANKS!!
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Odyssey is at spot #6 of 50 at Edmunds and at spot #5 of 25 at Kelley Blue Book for this year. T&C isn't on either list.

That said, I'm a host here and don't do much research... I'm here to hand out drinks and snacks, fluff pillows, and try to make sure everyone is getting along. It doesn't seem to be working here. :-(

Please take the pricing issues to the discussions where they belong -- you know where they are. This topic, on the other hand, is for comparing the features of the vehicles so that readers can choose between them. It's not a debate about which is "better". That's an argument whose only purpose is to raise blood pressures and tempers. Nobody is going to concede his/her position and nobody's going to win. So let's move on to the real purpose of the topic.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• tysons4tysons4 Member Posts: 5
    I can't imagine you'd have a problem pulling a pop-up with either vehicle. I pulled an 18' travel trailer with an Odyssey for perhaps 10,000 miles or so before I sold it. This was a normal trailer, not a pop up and pushed the limit of the 3500 lb towing rating of my Odyssey. With the exception of extreme uphill climbs, like going over the Rockies, which we did, the Odyssey pulled this trailer with realtive ease.

Unless you pop-up is an unusually big one, your towing weight will be much less than that, plus you're not going to have the wind resistance drag.

I just recently replace the Odyssey with a T&C because I needed AWD. Our T&C has the 3.8 L. I haven't pulled anything with it yet, but the accelleration and responsiveness feels very comparable to the Odyssey.
    I can't imagine you'd have a problem pulling a pop-up with either vehicle. I pulled an 18' travel trailer with an Odyssey for perhaps 10,000 miles or so before I sold it. This was a normal trailer, not a pop up and pushed the limit of the 3500 lb towing rating of my Odyssey. With the exception of extreme uphill climbs, like going over the Rockies, which we did, the Odyssey pulled this trailer with realtive ease.

Did you have tow package? If not, I'd hate to be person who bought your old Oddy!!!
    Also, there's many more Dodge/Chrysler dealerships in the US where people can actually go and drive one instead of searching online.

The dealership, that must be where there complaining too!! I think you figured it out. THANKS!!

The reason Oddy buyers are researching so much more than anybody else is to keep up with all the recalls and service bulletons on their purchases!!
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    The fuel consumption reports of various magazines are no different and no more reliable than the results obtained by any driver. Fuel consumption varies and is highly dependent on driver action and driving conditions. Thus, the comparisons found in these magazines prove nothing.

The only method that is a reliable indicator of a vehicle's potential fuel consumption is the EPA certification testing.

Dusty
    I agree with your assessment on the reliability of Chrysler mini-vans. My company currently has about 3500 of them and they are the best of the bunch (Chevy, Dodge, & Ford). However, if I were to categorize the most troublesome areas for the 2003-2005s Dodges, I'd have to say electrical problems are number one. Then again, our Ventures are having similar type problems (wiper motors, for instance!).

In general mechanical issues requiring a visit to the dealer for service, and "out-of-service" time, are significantly reduced on most of our vehicles from the early nineties. In the mini-van area Chrysler is now doing the better job, though.

Dusty
    That said, I'm a host here and don't do much research... I'm here to hand out drinks and snacks, fluff pillows, and try to make sure everyone is getting along. It doesn't seem to be working here.

Thanks for the info!! I'll try to be more civil in the future! I would love to just talk about the features but some of the times people make it sound like Honda is just too expensive. I think that all the info is important.
    The reason Oddy buyers are researching so much more than anybody else is to keep up with all the recalls and service bulletons on their purchases!!

You don't really believe this do you?? The Odyssey is also the most wanted by editor/consumers on this site. I have no issue with the Dodge it's fine for what it does I just prefered the Honda. I tried to say what I liked about the van early on. I liked the standard safety features, the looks, the handling/preformance, EPA fuel economy, the packaging(Ididn't have to look all over, oh this one has this but not that) and reliablity history. Now the Dodge has Stow and Go, knee blocker, more choices(Which can be good and bad try finding exactly what you want at a dealer I always seem to have to comprimise), and is a little lower priced. It's best that people drive them and then look at getting several quotes the price differance may suprise you. I also thing for 2006 Dodge is going back to 3year/36K mile warrenty for both bumper to bumper and power train. Looks like Honda is going 3/36k bumper to bumper, 5/60K for the powertrain. Damn this always happens to me!! Dodge went to 7/70 4 months after i bought my Caravan.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    NOT with my reliable 2002 T&C LX.
    I am frankly quite shocked to read of all the problems with the 2005 Odyssey and I am glad I did not sell my T&C to my daughter to get a new Odyssey. The DC minivans are now more reliable than the Odyssey.
    If you are a very aggressive driver, buy the more powerful Odyssey but if you want personal comfort items, buy the Grand Caravan or Town & Country and save $10,000 or more. ;)
    You don't really believe this do you?? The Odyssey is also the most wanted by editor/consumers on this site.

Hey, if you believe half of what you write, sure I do. On what basis do you think editors/consumers want Oddys? Did they actually go out and buy one??? Or am I missing something here??

I liked the standard safety features, the looks, the handling/preformance, EPA fuel economy, the packaging(Ididn't have to look all over, oh this one has this but not that) and reliablity history.

You'd have spent less time at a Dodge dealer specing out a Minivan, getting exactly what you wanted, than hassling with a Honda dealer, or returning Oddy for quality issues....based on this and the other Oddy site.

Here's one for 96 Caravan with 147,000 miles, there are probably multiple postings on this, I haven't check. I love the smugness of how domestic vans don't last, from some people.

#3111 of 3203 96 GC falling apart? Please help by kfdsan Aug 05, 2005 (12:45 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    I have a 1996 GC. As with most owners, I have just had the transmission rebuilt, 147,000 miles also new solenoid. After getting it back, about 4 days in, the transmission stopped shifting properly. I contacted my mechanic, and have sent it back to him, he says that everything is working properly with transmission. He says it must be something electrical. This makes some sense, as when it stops shifting, you can turn off the van and restart, and then it will shift again for a while. Also been told it could be electrical short from plug wires. Any ideas on what it could be, or what to try?
    Hey, if you believe half of what you write, sure I do. On what basis do you think editors/consumers want Oddys? Did they actually go out and buy one??? Or am I missing something here??

I believe all of what I write because it's truth based, not some look at the post mentality(Heck I've even been accused of posting under different names that tells you how good these forums are you can't tell who's writing what!)!! FYI-What they say is if they were to buy a minivan it would be a Odyssey!! That's what it means to be most wanted!! So now I hope your not missing anything!

You'd have spent less time at a Dodge dealer specing out a Minivan, getting exactly what you wanted, than hassling with a Honda dealer, or returning Oddy for quality issues....based on this and the other Oddy site

I spent exactly 1.5 hours picking up my Odyssey(Rock Honda Fontana). I test drove at Fladeboe in Irvine spent about a hour. All other work was done online maybe another hour. Now when I bought my Caravan(From cerritos Dodge) They emailed me a offer of 5500.00 off, it had a vehicle number on it. So I called tham and they said any in stock. When I got there(9:30am)they said that car was sold. But they could get me any other for close to that. First number thay quoted was 2500.00 off. I about flipped!!! I was like what are you saying , then they said it was the same deal. I whipped out my caculator and the guy said seems we made a mistake!! I shoulda ran but my Intrepid's tranny was slipping again and another 3200.00 dollars was at stake. After 6 hours of negoitiating I got 5000.00 off. But it seemed like 100.00+ more than I should have, I spent a hour going over the paperwork. Then I found it I paid 100.00+ for window scribing!! I told the salesman/manager/finaance person I didn't want this and they said it wasn't included. The paper I signed they said waived it. I felt like a sucker!! I had a hard time finding the car I wanted so I got one without some of the options I wanted. So my personal experience is way different then what you wished happen. People should go look for themselves there are good/bad dealers for all brand. If you don't think so you've bought very few cars from very few dealers.
    I am frankly quite shocked to read of all the problems with the 2005 Odyssey

As I am shocked ny how few DCX owners use this forum! I've had 0 problem and the 3 other people I know with 2005 Odyssey have had no problems. One is gonna have to have the recall done for the front sensors.

If you are a very aggressive driver, buy the more powerful Odyssey but if you want personal comfort items, buy the Grand Caravan or Town & Country and save $10,000 or more.

What are you comparing a EXL to a base caravan?? The 10,000 dollar myth continues!!
    That very well could be because the Dodge/Chrysler is a much older body style and does a lot more advertising. It would be almost impossible for people not to know all about these vans. Meanwhile, the Honda is new, do not advertise that much and I am sure very little is known about them.

They have more options so there's more to research, Right?? I see very little minivan advertisement. But two magazines I get men's journal and Sunset usually have both!! The people who buy Honda are just more research prone!! But most don't like to bicker about it like I do, they like to complain LOL!!! What can I say I love a debate. I got my reasons and you got yours for buying a car. I have no problems with Dodge or Honda. I just liked the Honda features. Now since its new I'd like to tell poeple about the features/specs without being attacked. We all know thats not gonna happen! ;)
    As I am shocked ny how few DCX owners use this forum! I've had 0 problem and the 3 other people I know with 2005 Odyssey have had no problems. One is gonna have to have the recall done for the front sensors.

What specific data do you base your assumption on i.e..."few DCX owners use this forum"??? Claires - Is there a way you can give number of Honda and DCX owners that are signed up for Minivan forum????

BTW - you state 3 others have no problems, BUT one is effected by the recall??? I would consider a recall a problem? According to the recall notice, some 80,000 Oddys were effected in latest recall, guess you and 2 of your friends were just lucky!!

What are you comparing a EXL to a base caravan?? The 10,000 dollar myth continues!!

Actually, it's NOT a Myth Socal, I'm living breathing proof of it, and from what I've seen in DCX pricing area, there are many others that are well above the $5000 difference. Just because something is repeated numerous times, doesn't make it so....i.e...DCX minivans aren't reliable long term, or they're in the garage constantly, or there's very little price difference etc...........
    What specific data do you base your assumption on i.e..."few DCX owners use this forum"??? Claires - Is there a way you can give number of Honda and DCX owners that are signed up for Minivan forum????

I don't think that matters only a handful of people ever post anything!!!

BTW - you state 3 others have no problems, BUT one is effected by the recall??? I would consider a recall a problem? According to the recall notice, some 80,000 Oddys were effected in latest recall, guess you and 2 of your friends were just lucky!!

Chanes are you will get a recall, I'll try not to smile too large!

Actually, it's NOT a Myth Socal, I'm living breathing proof of it, and from what I've seen in DCX pricing area, there are many others that are well above the $5000 difference. Just because something is repeated numerous times, doesn't make it so....i.e...DCX minivans aren't reliable long term, or they're in the garage constantly, or there's very little price difference etc...........

Ididn't see your paper work I will submit mine minus the name vin etc. I never said Dodge vans are in the garage all the time!! So leave me out of your myth busting!! Sure if you look hard enough you can find some suckers anywhere!! I believe for closely equipted vehicles it's 1500-3000max depending on deal. You don't care where I get my numbers from you want to take the highest Honda sale and the lowest Dodge sale and compare. Go ahead and compare your deal to today(cause that what were talking about) prices. Also I found a shop that will put a hitch and a tranny cooler on a honda Odyssey for 750.00 so you can use that number too!! No side airbags/VSC I wouldn't call that a fair comparition on your part!!!
    I don't think that matters only a handful of people ever post anything!!!

Same for the Oddy side too, but you draw your conclusions regardless!!!

Chanes are you will get a recall, I'll try not to smile too large!

But everyone knows Dodges are inferior to Hondas, so it's to be expected, but the fact that Dodge has already sold twice as many Minivans looks pretty good!!!

Ididn't see your paper work I will submit mine minus the name vin etc. I never said Dodge vans are in the garage all the time!! So leave me out of your myth busting!! Sure if you look hard enough you can find some suckers anywhere!! I believe for closely equipted vehicles it's 1500-3000max depending on deal. You don't care where I get my numbers from you want to take the highest Honda sale and the lowest Dodge sale and compare. Go ahead and compare your deal to today(cause that what were talking about) prices.

Hey, you brought up MYTH, and I will bust them. I know where you got you numbers at.....cars.com vs. what you paid. You took YOUR deal and compared to a website...we've been thru this. I compared my best deal on an Oddy (which was take it or leave it) from about 4 dealers in Detroit, then I went to 4 DCX dealers. It was significant, and based on this forum alone it's nowhere close to your mythic $1500. It may approach $3000 now that Oddys are having all these problems, and dealers might be more willing to deal?

Also I found a shop that will put a hitch and a tranny cooler on a honda Odyssey for 750.00 so you can use that number too!! No side airbags/VSC I wouldn't call that a fair comparition on your part!!!

You also need to add HD radiator, Engine oil cooler, 600 ampere battery and adjustable air suspension (load leveling and height control) - also part of the DCX tow package. Then you could tow 3500lbs, not 3800lbs like my Dodge though. I don't think you can do all that to your Honda. Then it's probably installed by some street mechanic who probably doesn't handle too many Hondas. I had a friend who wanted to add towing to their Venture i.e.add tranny cooler etc....the Cottman Tranny manager recommended he not do it because it'd be more prone to leaks and problems, then just using as is?
    Hey, you brought up MYTH, and I will bust them. I know where you got you numbers at.....cars.com vs. what you paid. You took YOUR deal and compared to a website...we've been thru this. I compared my best deal on an Oddy (which was take it or leave it) from about 4 dealers in Detroit, then I went to 4 DCX dealers. It was significant, and based on this forum alone it's nowhere close to your mythic $1500. It may approach $3000 now that Oddys are having all these problems, and dealers

When you didn't like those numbers(IT's ok to use your experience but not mine!!) I gave you all the recent prices paid for EX-L with RES(Not really the easiest to find)and that there were none in the then I looked at cardirect and compared them on post #4355
    Whuch shows a 2415.00 difference On price not financing or whatever I can't even get 25% of what you say and a feature I consider a dealbreaker in a new car in 2005 VSC is not included. You are the myth I'm the myth buster!!

Oh yeah the self leveling sure you'll have no problems with that! That is quite a bit of stuff and 300 lbs more towing wow I'm impressed. I don't need it and i only know one person who tows with their minivan. Oh and on another front Honda Odyssey reviews 250(that reminds me I gotta add mine)Dodge caravan(74 reviews) look at 2001-2004 it even worse. Honda Odyssey people post more its a fact!! They research more and they complain more!!
    But everyone knows Dodges are inferior to Hondas, so it's to be expected, but the fact that Dodge has already sold twice as many Minivans looks pretty good!!!

You are the one who says this the most. I have no idea why you want to bash your van.
    When you didn't like those numbers(IT's ok to use your experience but not mine!!) I gave you all the recent prices paid for EX-L with RES(Not really the easiest to find)and that there were none in the then I looked at cardirect and compared them on post #4355
    Whuch shows a 2415.00 difference On price not financing or whatever I can't even get 25% of what you say and a feature I consider a dealbreaker in a new car in 2005 VSC is not included. You are the myth I'm the myth buster!!

"your experience"???? How is using your price from an actual deal, then running to cars.com an actual experience? Mine is my actual experience. BTW - I consider Stow N Go a deal breaker, I consider a better warranty a deal breaker, I consider less recalls and problems a deal breaker.

So far you keep creating new myths....see below!!!

Oh yeah the self leveling sure you'll have no problems with that! What do you base this "myth" on?

That is quite a bit of stuff and 300 lbs more towing wow I'm impressed. I don't need it and i only know one person who tows with their minivan. Be glad you have an Oddy, seems all you need is VSC and Lazy Suzy (former spare tire hole). Let me know how much more you'll have to add to your Honda for towing to match the DCX equipment I listed, since you went thru all the effort to find the $750 adder for hitch and tranny cooler.

Oh and on another front Honda Odyssey reviews 250(that reminds me I gotta add mine)Dodge caravan(74 reviews) look at 2001-2004 it even worse. Honda Odyssey people post more its a fact!! They research more and they complain more!! Looks like they have more to complain about - its could be that simple

Actually if you go to other website reviews, there are far more postings for Dodge than Honda. We'll see what Claries can add...not sure Edmunds would want to reveal user numbers???

You are the one who says this the most. I have no idea why you want to bash your van.

It's called "Tongue in Cheek".... I love my Dodge - no problems, no recalls, great features, price and warranty. God, DCX should hire me, I live right next to their HQ here in Auburn Hills, MI!!!

I have seen many snide little comments in this very thread!!!!! Don't make me go back and list them.....I will!
  • tysons4tysons4 Member Posts: 5
    Yes - I bought the transmission cooler online and had the dealer install it and a hidden hitch which I installed myself.
    Looks like they have more to complain about - its could be that simple

I don't think so here's what I found you should look before you post. I don't think there will be any problem with your self leveling do you??

Actually if you go to other website reviews, there are far more postings for Dodge than Honda. We'll see what Claries can add...not sure Edmunds would want to reveal user numbers???
    Ok here are the user rating from 3 sites. edmunds/Yahoo/MSN they are my most used sites please give me more suggestions!

All the ratings favor Honda and there are more of them!!

Edmunds
    Honda 250 posts, editor rating 8.9/user rating 9.1
    Dodge 74 posts,editor rating 8.5/user rating 8.7
    Yahoo
    Honda 91 posts, user rating 9.4
    Dodge 59 posts, user rating 9.3
    MSN
    Honda 89 posts, user rating 4.5stars
    Dodge 51 posts, user ratings 3.5 stars

So the user that posted rated the Honda better then the Dodge. Go read some of those reviews too of the Dodge you might get a better feeling for whats going on!!

Also looked at all minivans researched 1-Honda 2-Toyota 3-Mazda 4-Kia 5-Chysler T& C. Dodge is not in the top 5!! Interesting!!!

Found 1 more autobytel.com. It's for overall all year posts. Honda 118 Dodge 59. Honda 4 stars out of five in 4 catagories and 5 starts out of 5 in one. Dodge 3 stars on 4 and 4 on 1.
    I have seen many snide little comments in this very thread!!!!! Don't make me go back and list them.....I will!

Please don't. As I said before, the purpose of this discussion is to compare the attributes of the vehicles so that prospective buyers can make informed choices. Bickering isn't likely to do that -- if anything, it's likely to send new members running away screaming. This discussion has already gone too far afield, and it's time to tone things down or the posts will be deleted.

As for the breakdown of members by vehicle, it can't be done with any kind of accuracy, and it wouldn't account for those who read and don't post. On average in any given forum, there are about 100 lurkers for every poster.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    A-MEN to the HOST! I used to read this blog/forum every day, because it was a friendly airing of differences. You two guys have gone a bit overboard with your heated argument. I won't even say what I drive!

I'm all for a debate, but I agree with our kind host, you guys have probably run out more people lately than brought into the fold.
    A-MEN to the HOST! I used to read this blog/forum every day, because it was a friendly airing of differences. You two guys have gone a bit overboard with your heated argument. I won't even say what I drive!

I'm all for a debate, but I agree with our kind host, you guys have probably run out more people lately than brought into the fold.

I understand what your saying! As far as what you drive thats your choice.Life is all about choices, there are none wrong or right as long as your happy. Please accept my apology if I've upset anyone. Both vans have strengths and weaknesses. Both choices are fine as long as you know what the tradeoffs are for them. I just have a hard time with info that is counter to what I've found. Enjoy whatever you drive life is short!!
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I agree with the graduate. Once you guys go thru 7 or 8 posts with the others counter posts & rebuttals...it starts to get old. Give it a rest wills ya? :cry:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Ok here are the user rating from 3 sites. edmunds/Yahoo/MSN they are my most used sites please give me more suggestions!

I didn't think we could mention other sites - guess we can!

Suggestion - You may want to include Chrysler T&C in your review search, then you'd see:

MSN
    DCX - 216
    Honda - 144

Yahoo
    DCX 94
    Honda 89

Not that any of this matters. DCX is the known leader in the minivan market. I have friends that are on there 4th or 5th Caravan, they've bought em, had no problems with them and when it's time to replace them....back to a Dodge dealer to buy another. This is my 3rd, the first two being company cars that each ran about 70,000 miles without any issues. My 2nd van I purchased from leasing company for my sister, who now has 120,000 miles on. She did have to replace tranny at 95,000.

You don't think Honda's new Oddy would naturally be researched more? Seems common sense to me - totally brand new design and technology. Also, If I had just spent $30k for a Honda, I'd be raving about it too....better be!!
    The example included in your post points out another problem with Chrysler FWD automatic transmissions. Although the poster does not state what the original problem was, because of the mythical belief that these transmissions "fail soon and fail often," it has allowed a self-fulfilling dynamic to grip the web and the repair industry. Since by now EVERYONE has heard of how bad Chrysler transmissions are, it's pretty easy to convince a Chrysler mini-van owner that they need a rebuild when in most cases it is completely unnecessary.

This post is a case in point: A very common problem is a 2-3 shift failure being caused by bad spark plugs or spark plug wires! Other common problems related to shift problems are poor electrical connections at the solenoid shift packs. These get cruddy over time and on an older vehicle SHOULD be one of the first things a transmission technician checks. I've also seen intermittent Speed, Distance, and Camshaft Positon Sensors cause similar shifting problems. On '96s and after, if the IOD fuse opens you'll get the same symptoms after being driven for a while. Another common area to cause this type of problem is the shift pack itself when the solenoid operated valves become clogged from dirty fluid. Chryslers are the easiest to replace these solenoid shift packs (they are a complete assembly), and a "rebuild" is completely unnecessary. Of course, there's more money to be made on a rebuild.

Dusty
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    And what does the automotive technican say after he has rebuilt a transmission under the circumstances you described, and the problem continues with the shift failure? The customer brings the vehicle back after a rebuild complaining of the same problem. Technicans says, "Well you needed a rebuild anyway...let me throw in some plugs and wires and see if that helps"
    Or, maybe he covers himelf before hand with, " Will you need a rebuilt...but just in case... I'm going to change your plugs and wires for you at no cost" :confuse:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Of course, people who already bought the Chrysler vans with stow n' go aren't going to complain! I've heard this from my customers on more than one ocassion and I agree, having tried them myself.

I don't think they are **horrible** but they don't begin to compare with the super comfortable Odyssey seats!

At the last car show I attended, BOTH of the Chrysler vans on display had BROKEN stow n' go seats. no doubt a big embarrassment to the people manning that booth.

In order to be fair, I have to say that a lot of the people who attend these car shows shouldn't be allowed inside the cars! They literally TRASH the cars! They can be so abusive I want to scream at them!
    All cars have problems heck the dodge has 17 service bulletins to hondas 11.

So have we talked enough about the 4 Honda recalls and numerous problems? Now you want to compare service bulletins? Where did you get this gem of information? As Reagan once said "Trust but verify" :)
    One has only to go to the "prices paid" for Honda, it still looks like you have to search high and low for a dealer ready to "deal".
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    I think I've read every post in this thread. I did a lot of research on minivans (my first), but chose the T&C Touring for a lot of reasons, many admittedly unique to me. FWIW, my wife hated the idea and thought it a waste of (interior) space for just once child (our first born May 30th, 2005). She is coming around to the conveniences it has over sedans, wagons, and SUV's.

Here is my Town & Country purchase also from the Detroit metro area. So far, I love it. It rides great on Detroit's crappy roads, hauls more cargo volume enclosed than my pickup's bed, and gets reasonable fuel mileage, 21mpg overall. The driver's seat is comfortable for my 1 hour commute. I've ridden in the 2nd row passenger seat for as long as an hour and had no problems falling asleep. I'll be taking this van on a 2000 mile road trip next week, so I'll have more feedback. BTW, I'm 6'4" 190#.

I don't know that I could ever use more acceleration, braking, or lateral grip that some competitors have as my infant's head would flop around even more.
    At the last car show I attended, BOTH of the Chrysler vans on display had BROKEN stow n' go seats. no doubt a big embarrassment to the people manning that booth.

Really this is the first time I've heard of this problem and I read alot of crap. I don't think this is a good example of overall stow and go seating!!
    Where did you get this gem of information? As Reagan once said "Trust but verify"

NHTSA office of defect investigations!!

As Reagan said may times on Iran contra. I don't recall, I don't recall, I don't recall!

You are right about the towing package for 3500lbs needing tranny cooler. I missed that one! DOH!!
    Really this is the first time I've heard of this problem and I read alot of crap. I don't think this is a good example of overall stow and go seating!!

Autoshows are the roughest environment for cars......kids crawling in and out etc....when I was younger, I worked for a VW dealer and during autoshow, I'd be the person there, hours before the show, cleaning and and fixing from previous day.

I can easily see people flipping the seats up and down, not having fronts seats in their forward position, jamming them into smaller opening!!!
    Hi, Aaron_t

Thanks for posting a link to the correct area for discussing pricing and deals for these vehicles.

ClaireS, HOST
    Coupes & Convertibles | Vans & Minivans

Hi, folks,

I've asked a few times that you take pricing/deals issues to the correct forum:
    Prices Paid & Buying Experience.

All recent posts discussing pricing have been removed from this discussion because they were off-topic; a number of them were also disrespectful. Any more posts of this nature will be removed as well.

Tone down your conversation -- uncivil posts will be removed, even if they're on-topic.

This discussion has been closed.