Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Corvettes and all things about them

Comments

• rhall811rhall811 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 72 LT-1 and put regular brake fluid in the system. What is the proper way to purge the system. Are there any parts that need to be replaced? I was told the whole system will need you be replaced in order to avoid any gumming of fluids for a purging will not clean the system properly; is this correct?
  • noshonosho Member Posts: 119
    Flushing probably won't do it.... Try this first, mix regular brake fluid with silicone fluid in a glass. If it gums-up, then flushing won't work. If the two fluids stay seperated or seem to mix together well, then flushing might work, but it will take several bottle of fluid to flush.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    You are saying you put Dot 3 fluid in a car that had silicone, right?

Because a 72 Vet came originally with Dot 3.

I'm not much of an expert about this. But I would think the system had the Dot 3 flushed to put the silicone in it. So, I would think you could flush it and get Dot 3 back into it. But I've never heard the Vet nuts talking about taking a car back to Dot 3.

Either way, I would not think the entire system would need to be replaced. This would would be a major job to put new steel lines on a car, usually only done in a total restoration with the body off the frame.

Only thing I would know to try would be to disconnect all the lines. Blow them out with air. Be sure the air has good filters in the system, don't want oil or water from the air in the system. The 4 calipers would be the toughest to get the fluid out of. Rebuilding these would be the sure way of doing it.

Get all the fluid out of the master cylinder. Rebuild it also?

Then bleed, bleed, bleed. If you could get someone with a power bleeder this would be the best way.
  • starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    From press release on GM and Ford programs:

"For the Chevrolet Corvette, interest rates range from zero for a three-year loan to 2.9 percent for five years."

Good way to save a couple thousand if you are in the market.
  • coolsly2coolsly2 Member Posts: 25
    I just took delivery of my 2002 Z06 this afternoon and i'm wondering on a few things... When starting on a corner shifting to second gear and then goes to 5000 rpm, if I release the gaz, there is on or two "backfire", is it normal? I have driven a Z06 before but never went at 5000 with it that time. Also, I would like some "lids" for the trunk compartment, is there a way to get some that would perfectly fit the Z06 and the last thing, I think the skip-shift module "disabler" would be great since i'm often in traffic here in Montreal. What do you suggest? The "manual" modification with the small resistance or there is a more esthetic thing I could do?

Btw, I really love the Z06 for now, I'm in a hurry to go back to work tomorrow morning.

Thank you for your help,

Sylvain
    2002 Z06 Silver Vette, modifications will soon begin... Any suggestions? A better flow system for sure, what next... :)
    Sorry for my bad english, i'm french and doing my best to write in the best way I can. "on or two" should have been "One or two" and "Starting on a corner" would be "Starting on a green light"... That would be more appropriate! :)

Sylvain
    As far as getting some backoff pops as you declerate from 5000 rpm I would say that wouldn't surprise me from what I know from a stock coupe. Actual back firing I would find unusual hard for someone to know without hearing it. But, another question, picked it up and already doing 5k shifts? Since I picked up my coupe 1300 miles from home the easy breakin was a piece of cake as I did a couple of 8 hr. driving days and took it real easy until I got past 750 miles. That's not to say I didn't take some advantage of being in Montana and getting it up to about 90 but that is still pretty low rpm's.

As to the skip shift, most really hate it but I have learned to live with it through trial and error. Getting up over 2k rpms in first is actually fun most of the time, and so what if they look if you need to back off a little to keep it down. Seems most local Corvette clubs have someone who really knows the best local source for an eliminator.

Many change the stock exhaust on the coupe/vert but with the titanium system on the Z06 I would wonder about the benefits. The Corsa system that I hear many like is actually quieter at idle than the stock system and gets louder especially at WOT where better flow really helps.

Just some thoughts from a relatively new 2002 EB Coupe owner. ruking1 may have more ideas specific to the Z as well.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826

Yes, the crackle pop is very normal for an "abnormal" break in RPM. I would HIGHLY and DEFINITELY recommend that you stay UNDER 3000 RPMs at least during your break in period. Massive deceleration is particularily punishing on the engine and drive train components, not to mention the fact that on deceleration there is NO rev limiter in case you happen to make a mistake in shifting or controlling your RPM's!! You will probably hear some folks tell you to drive it like you stole it, but I am reminded that there are a lot of folks that do that and afterwards their cars run like they have been stolen!! :)

There are a number of ways to lessen the annoyance of the skip shift: 1. A .56 cent to 20 dollar skip shift eliminators 2., 3. Shift before and/or after the the skip shift RPM range comes on 4. And under certain cases start off in second gear,(like when you dont come to a complete stop if the stoplight turns green).

There are OEM and aftermarket solutions to your need for a trunk isolator and trunk cover for the center recessed portion of the trunk. You might try WWW.Corvetteforum.com in the mall section.

Enjoy your Z06 !!!

The competing best flow systems are: Vararam, Haltech, Vortex, Blackwing, and I am sure I have left off a bunch more. On the exhaust department you might want to consider the Borla Stinger which has out of phase noise cancelling going on. It is a straight through pipe design and is much louder than stock. Dynos have indicated 40 or so rwhp !!!! Headers of course help you with app 10 hp. But the coins start to add up! So you can see starting with 405 plus 10 plus 10 plus 40 = app 465.

Before you even do mod one, you might want to do a survey of the dealers near you who would possibly do warranty work for you in the future. Some dealers are ok with mild to wild modifications, others will void your warranty if you just look at em funny.
    Yesterday night, when writing my message, I had about 750 kilometers on the Z06 (about 500 miles), I decided just before coming on my street to go higher than the 2000-3200 rpm I have done from the trip to get back home and heard one or two backfire when I realease the gas pedal at about 4500-5000 rpm and was concerned if this was normal. I will continue the break-in period carefully since I will probably buy the vette after the 24 months rent and take good care of my car.

Maybe I haven't understood well but was it "normal" or completly "abnormal"?

Thank you for helping,

Sylvain

Sorry: NORMAL !! I was reacting to higher revs during break in.
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    I've got a Blackwing and the Stingers on my 01 C5 coupe. There is about a 20 hp gain from the Blackwing, and maybe 6 to 8hp from the Stingers.

I noticed a little SOTP gain from the Blackwing, but no SOTP from the Stingers - the Stingers are strictly for SIGHT and SOUND enhancement!!!

I doubt there would be any HP gain at all on a Z06 from the Stingers as the stock Z06 titanium exhaust is already very well set up for free flowing fun. (It also costs 3 times the price of the Stingers anyway).

Of course EVERYTHING is relative and sometimes confusing. I have heard of folks doing the Blackwing and feeling NO difference and others saying it really woke up the car enormously. I have heard others say all you have to do is to remove the stock Z06 air cover and use cable ties to secure the stock factory air filter. I would not do a Blackwing modification for while it reputedly flows more air they do NOT gurantee that it filters better than the cheapo 10 dollar air filter, that to me affects reliability over the long haul. Keep in mind that the Blackwing is 20 times the price!!! So if I use cheapo 10 dollar air filters I can buy enough to last 600,000 miles.

The Stinger info I gleaned from a Corvette mag article where Lingerfelter did an AB test with a Stinger exhaust. The Stinger exhaust gained between 37-60 hp on a dyno. Can I say it is true? Well frankly I didn't do it. I have done Borla exhausts on other vehicles and truly was under whelmed. (less than 10 hp) But they do sound "better". :)

Personally, I am highly skeptical of almost ANY modification. There is almost ALWAYS some trade off or issue with durability, reliability, craftsmanship. While almost always the vendors stand behind their products it is always a PITA to rectify these things.

I almost forget to mention that you have to treat the Blackwing system by degreasing and re oiling the cotton gauze filtering material., which is another extra cost and extra procedure every what 15-30k miles?

The "mods" that I have been happy with have been:

1. conventional ATF to synthetic ATF.
    not only are the transmission shifts less notchy, but I have gained app 1 mpg and it seems to run far smoother and the infrequent popping out of first or second gear does not happen at all now.
    2. I went from an 2001 to 2002 airbox. This was barely a SOTP improvement, but I might add that SOTP feeling is usually 3- 5% or in the Z06's case 11- 19 hp While I feel better air flow and get app 1 mpg from this mod, and it feels stronger at the same RPM and speed points, it doesnt have stand up and take notice written all over it.
  • 400lover400lover Member Posts: 3
    I am posting this message in behalf of a friend who owns a 1997 corvette. He has a check engine light on and the steering column is locked. the vehicle will start and he says that runs just fine. but the check engine light is on and the steering will not move, he cant even get the car out of the garage, because the wheels are turned...he called the dealer but they said at least 550.00 to get that taken care of, and they did not even gave him a clue to what it could be..... does anybody knows a fix for this problem? one that is a lot more economical...?

Please email your answer (if possible) to r_a_y_d@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance guys!
    Try CorvetteForum.Com and the C5 steering lock topics. Up through 2000 I think this was a problem and there are a couple ways to address. One is a mod to disable the steering lock. Another is a TSB that GM put out that replaces the old system with a newer approach. I think it came out when I was looking at 2001's so about a year ago and was warranty work at that time for most cars athough I don't think they issued a recall. Good luck to your friend.
  • vettes2vettes2 Member Posts: 17
    Try the Corvette Action Center, specifically:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11842

Good luck!

Mark

• sfeige1sfeige1 Member Posts: 2
    I have the 2001 Corvette Conv that has the gas gauge & DIC fluctuations (most of the time dropping to empty and staying there with a full tank of gas). The dealer (reputable one) has had the car for a total of 5 weeks...working with GM to find the solution. Still no answer. They have replaced the LH & RH fuel sending units, replaced the fuel level sensors, checked all voltages, reprogramed the PCM, checked fuel volume for transfer pump, removed the harness to check for shorts to ground, replaced RH & LH fuel tanks and sending units, checked for water contamination, checked pin tension, rplaced I/P cluster assembly. They are telling me that GM is stumped but they continue to try. Cannot go for the Lemon Law as I drive my Vette and have 25,000 miles on it. I'm frustrated - they are driving the car more than I am. Anyone out there have the answer???
  • gnvinhkgnvinhk Member Posts: 1
    Your problem is not unique as many C5's are afflicted with this annoyance. I have a 99 roadster and it has had numerous "fixes", and eventually the problem returns.

Normal condition for occurance is:

Tank(s) are usually about 1/2 to 1/3 full.

Car has been running for 40 minutes plus

It's hot outside

All this leads to a combination of situations that give the empty tank reading.

I have the advantage of an inside contact at Corvette in the fuel systems group and the problem has taken a great deal of effort, but if you live in a hot climate, drive longer periods, etc - all the fixes are for naught

On the good side, remember it is just an annoyance. Shut off the car, restart and your good for another 45 minutes, or top off the tank and your set again till you hit that 1/2 to 1/3 level. Yeah, I recognize that this is small condolances as the General ought to be able to make the damn gas gauge work, but it's still one hell of a ride.

You can go to the following link for service bulletins for help.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/index.php?ownertopic_id=33

Best of luck

It is still a problem with 2001 and 2002 MN6's. The Autos were fixed in 2002 to not automatically lock up anymore.

My 2001 MN6 is in the shop as we speak to have the recall fix applied due to an inconvenient lockup on the weekend.
    For those that wonder what a street legal Vette is capable of look in the local market for 'Vette' magazine. I tried their web site but the article only has a oneliner and no link. Although the issue is about force-fed cars the first several look modified and don't seem to be daily drivers. However, the last article is about an 89 C4 that looks and is a daily driver, but with as the owner says "sick power". Having put in a 400cid TT it is running 1300 hp, as the article says, with A/C. He took it to one track and did 151 mph in the quarter but got kicked out due to no parachute, so no additional runs to try and improve. As he says, "sick"! And it is the nicest medium blue, total stock looking C4 you might ever meet on the streets.
  • machiavellimachiavelli Member Posts: 260
    The latest Road & Track has a good article about the upcoming C6 Corvette. Supposedly, it will have exposed headlights for the first time since 1962. The artist's drawing on the cover looked good, IMO. What does everyone think?
    I hate it. It has the look of being way too generalized, taking the shape like everything else out there is starting to look like.

With a C5, you can notice it literally a mile away, and that's the way it should be. I will be hanging on to my C5 for a long time if the C6 looks anything like the pictures.
    Naturally. Anything new is bad. C4 owners probably said the same thing about the C5, too.
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    I thought the blue convertible on page 64 of the August 2002 R & T looked great! Just a hint of the '63-67 model, but without being overly "retro" looking. I also like the exposed headlights. I, for one, hope the artists drawings are fairly close to the real thing.
    Has anyone had a chance to check out the "magnetic controlled" shock absorber system?
  • stoner1011stoner1011 Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone know what a typical 36 or 39 month lease currently runs on a Base Coupe and/or Convertible? Thanks.
  • j3studioj3studio Member Posts: 27
    Folks,

We're getting a 50th Anniversary convertible and are wondering whether we should get the body side moldings. Cost is (obviously at this point) not a consideration...

What do you think?

Thanks,

John Mulhern III
  • alpine325ialpine325i Member Posts: 209
    I have a new C5 coupe, Black with Light Oak interior, auto, P.E. Group 1, etc.. I ordered the body side moldings to avoid door dings (obviously) but the main reason is that I liked how it complimented the flowing lines and sleekness of the design of the car. I thought the car looked pretty plain with out them. When I saw the Electron Blue Coupe in the new brochure I thought It looked kind of plain and boring without them. I like the color of the 50th anniversary, it's real close to the original Magnetic Red Metallic II, that was my second choice for a color. I might like the 50th without the moldings though :O) (BATVETTE)

In so far as getting the moulding for "protection" do you think it likely that someone who will give you a door ding has measured precisely that his scofflaw door will hit right on the moulding? I am thinking that it is looks, pure and simple.

I like the look, but at the same time I dont't have that option on a white 2001 Z06.
  • alpine325ialpine325i Member Posts: 209
    Hi ruking1, I noticed that the Z06 has it's own air compressor. I'm curious to know what other things your car has besides being lighter and faster than the coupe, Thanks, Alp :O)

In terms of the amenities and options I think that the coupe and convertible probably has it over the Z06. Also some folks would not like the look of the hardtop! I happen to like it and like the car hemetically sealed while driving at speeds the Corvette is capable of. In addition to being lighter and faster the suspension comes with the more "performance" set up. But I think you also can not underestimate the increased grip due to having oem Goodyear F1 SC's. which are an inch or two wider at each tire.
    Surveys have been done on the various corvette forums about this with thousands of owners, and it usually comes out pretty even. Half the people like them, half do not.

So, you really can't go wrong either way.
    ruking1 did you read the action center item on it?

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14619

Pretty interesting.

After getting all the 50/50 inputs on the BSM's I thought of one thing that would really sway me. Trying to get grooves clean when polishing! Didn't get them and have 10k miles in about that many months as a daily driver and 'no' dings even though it goes to BART lot about 4 days a week.

Good luck with the 50th!

Thanks for the link! The new shocks sound like an almost radical improvement over conventional shocks. I would be interested in seeing and also feeling the skidpad #'s!
    Yeah, I know, Vettes happen and then you die.

Theoretically, if you have a new Vette and you're going to a packed restaurant on a Friday night, should you theoretically park exactly on the space line so that you exactly take up two spaces and thus no one else can use the extra space that you need for your overglorified Chevrolet and they have to park on the other end of town and walk across the river to get to dinner?

Also theoretically speaking, if you were this theoretical (and probably typical) Corvette geezer, would you theoretically give a crap if irate restaurant patron "X" decided to write on a piece of paper "free ticket to [non-permissible content removed] of the Year Award for 'Mr Cool' - nontransferable - cash value 'two cents'" ...? or would you theoretically throw the 'free award ceremony ticket' to the wind before plopping your oversized butt in your driver's seat when you had to run out to your precious overglorified Chevrolet because eventually someone realized that you're not "all that" in your overglorified Chevrolet (i.e. laws and reality do apply to you) and they (maybe restaurant management, maybe restaurant patron "Z") called the police? Excellent way to shop your woman a good night on the town, eh?

Or would it theoretically not matter unless the free ticket was hastily written on Acura NSX stationery?

All theoretically speaking, of course. I'm sure this is an "isolated incident" and no 'Vette owner would ever dream of doing such a thing. Even though it happened and it seems altogether typical to a certain person "X." Theoretically speaking, "X" wants to believe that Vettes attract the world's least desirable females, but maybe it's just in the Detroit area. Haven't been to California recently, but it wouldn't be to look at "exotic" Vettes.
    My two cents, I have a Silver Z06 but unfortunatly live in Canada so it was certainly not me :) I think you ran out of luck because I'm sure there are people running Honda Civic, Chevrolet Firefly or whatever other car that does the same thing so I won't take it personnaly but just go in any parking lot you'll see a Dodge Caravan or a Ford Focus parked in the middle of the lanes and either in a Corvette, you have to deal with those drivers!

Sylvain
    I see more Honda modified cars taking two or more spaces than any "Vette" owners. You would think that those Hondas GEEZER owners could fit their compact cars correctly in the compact spaces for which they were built!

Incidently, on a crowded Friday night a Acura Intergra Geezer trys to make a left turn from a shopping mall into a fast moving street without stopping for the red stop sign that it was supposed to stop at. He nearly plows into my drivers side door as I pass with the right of way on the crowded street. Lucky for him my "bad handling " suv motored around him. He would have had a dead passenger if I hadn't.
    Well, this seems to be almost location-dependent. I think it's typical 'Vette behavior in Detroit... don't want to let any Mustangs or Vipers (actually saw a yellow one yesterday) crowd in on their turf!

My parking garage here in Ann Arbor is home to a bunch of obsessive modified Hondas... I'm about 2 cm short of their "centered in parking space" record. >:(

That guy jumped out of the restaurant and threw his Vette into gear just as the police arrived... they let him go. Now, they had to help all the SUV people got out of their gridlock! Funny as heck. My parents drove right in with the Outback and dived into a parking space which had just opened up. Fine with me (parking on the other side of the town)... the place WAS a door-ding waiting to happen. 'especially with all the Michigan State people around...
    Same discussion about using 2 spaces on one of the Vette specific boards and the overwhelming majority said use one space or park so far out that it doesn't impact anyone else. I just look for endzones and therefore one side safe and the other extra room. Good luck coping, just remember, no effort at initivitve ever goes unpunished.
    You have to admit that these people do the same thing with their TrailBlazers (other half of the garage at home) often, too. I'd say it was a Chevrolet thing, but then I would have to defend Ford or Dodge, and I'm just not going to bother with that. For every LLCing Vette or TrailBlazer, there is one who drives decently.
  • dcdudedcdude Member Posts: 7
    I don't think it's just a "Chevrolet" thing and personally, I see no problem with taking two parking spots. In this day and age, where people DO NOT respect other people's property, see a nice car, and think....."I own a piece of crap, so should that person......" - slam goes their door into the nice car. In today's society, people are more ignorant and less respectful. It doesn't matter what car you drive, people are going to park next to it and damage it if they want....and that's pretty sad.
  • dcdudedcdude Member Posts: 7
    On a similar note, last year I parked my Vette all the way at the end of a parking lot where there were no other cars. The parking spot next to me on the left hand side, was a handicapped parking spot for a small ATM machine building. There were no other spots next to it. On my right, were 4 other regular spots. I parked closer to the handicapped spot and walked a 1/2 mile into the store. When I came out, some dipsh** parked so close to my driver's side door, I couldn't even slip in between my car and his. If I opened the passenger side door, I would have set off the car alarm. So I decided to sit on the steps of the ATM building and wait to see just what kind of a moron would park like that....especially since there were no handicapped plates or signs on the car. His car was a broken down Toyota. 20 minutes later, the 30 something year old guy came walking up, saw me standing in front of both cars and started to unlock his door. I asked him if he was proud of himself for being such an ***hole. He smirked, got into his car and drove off. THAT is the primary reason why people take up two parking spots.
    I have kept my car in a public parking structure since November (permit cost is rather high, but worth it) and I make an effort to park within the space alloted (and they are all pretty compact spaces ... this is not a football stadium parking lot, designed for tailgatin'!) and it's fine. Couple of small stratches that I don't see anymore after the wax/polish I did last month on it in the driveway at my house in my hometown.

This guy's Vette looked like he had spent 15 minutes at least trying to get it exactly symmetrical right on the line. Who is going to think he is special enough for that? Vettes are everywhere here, even new ones. Let's follow your logic. Other Chevrolet (=Impala) people are jealous of Vettes... Cadillac people think they're better (whatever!), and import sports car people, whether Benz or Acura or Porsche or Ferrari or Jaguar, are going to laugh (after they ding it).

This guy was asking for trouble and all he got was my sarcastic note (which he didn't even read... in a hurry before the police decided to give him a talk)... could have gotten more. Talk of the restaurant, obviously, because no one else could park in that valuable space he was taking up... and it's not like the clientele here was unable to afford it, pretty much a bunch of upper-middle-class Detroit suburbia types, all work for GM/Ford/Chrysler anyhow and drive Bonnevilles or Sevilles or Mustangs or 300Ms or Envoys or Expeditions or Grand Cherokees or Auroras, all nice new cars of not-exactly-beater value.

He comes out of the place, but not running fast enough to mess up his hair... "Mr Cool" who wants to look like a million bucks (meaning he should drive a XK instead at least) with his ugly-as-heck (my subjective observation) wife (or mistress).

No one would have cared if his Vette has parked centered in the first or last space in the lot, and you can bet your GM Card that the people in the Aurora or DeVille next to him weren't in any particular line of logic to be careless enough to dent his precious Vette.

But instead he wanted attention and got it. Not because he looked tackier and the chick looked worse, but because the car was nice, new, and clean... and because he thought maybe a $50K Vette was worth two spaces when a $40K Seville wasn't worth the one that he used up.
    On random weekdays (I don't drive every day), I check out the parking structure. Sure enough, an Explorer or Pathfinder will be over his line. HOW these idiots get out without scratching my car... it's a miracle. Not that SUV drivers are gods or anything. Most can't handle driving a truck... and they obviously can't handle parking it!
    That Vette specific board about using more than one space also had many comments about not to do it as it brought unwanted attention. Especially from those so warped that one had his Vette keyed while in two spaces out at the end of the lot. Some times you just can't win.
    if I had to park next to a Corvette and it was centered in its space, I would have no justification for touching it... I would be very careful to make sure it was left in peace. Now, if a SUV with a bunch of idiots kids (or adults!) parked next to it, you might be able to see a problem.

But I believe that a Corvette centered exactly on two spots attracts very negative publicity. It stands out as to the character of the owner. Not good.