Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Corvettes and all things about them

Comments

• c5_4func5_4fun Member Posts: 59
    I'm attempting to install a Bra from West Coast Corvettes on a C5. If anyone has installed one I need help with one thing as the instructions aren't very clear: you replace existing screws in each of the front wheel wells with a rubber plug and a snap screw; does the new plug and snap screw go through both the inner and outer plastic wheel well pieces (as did the original screw) or just the outer? Doesn't seem like the plug fits into the inner wheel well cover so do you need to drill it out?
  • starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    http://www.freep.com/money/autoreviews/history26e_20040826.htm

If interested go to the bottom and take the Corvette Quiz, I got only 7 right. :)
  • r22549r22549 Member Posts: 42
    Well it took me 55 years but I finally got the car I always wanted...It's an 04 black coupe. Got the heads up display with the chrome wheels and tilt steering...$38,200...I ain't knocking the 05's, but I think they made a mistake with the lights...40 years of history is alot to throw away...
    Anyway I am happy as a pig in [non-permissible content removed]...Rod...
    Can you run these puppies through a car wash..?...My son said they might be too low..Thanx..
    As to the car wash, my local two washes where I some times take the truck both will only wash the Vette outside doing a hand wash. Partly too low but also tires too wide for the track, I think.

Glad to hear another Vette owner who got what they had been waiting for. Great price too. I'm thinking that when the '04's are gone and most of the dealers are holding price on the '05's that resale is going to look good for a few years. Stay safe and save the wave!
  • uswaiteruswaiter Member Posts: 7
    I'm interested in the new C-6 Corvette, but have misgivings about the 1-4 skip-shift manual transmission feature. I know this is old territory for Corvette owners, but I missed all the history here. A few questions.

How does the skip-shift feature work? Does it surprize the driver when it prevents engaging 2nd, or is there some way to know what's happening, such as a dash light? Doesn't skipping 2nd and 3rd going directly to 4th cause the engine to lug? Can you learn to avoid the range in which the the 1-4 skip shift operates? Is skip-shift operation a function of revs alone or is operation dependent on multiple things, such as throttle, RPM, engine temperature?

I've heard that there are aftermarket devices to defeat the system. How much do they cost? Will Chevrolet defeat the system and how much do they want to do so? What modifications are necessary to defeat the system, and can the system be resurrected for, say, re-selling the car?

Thanks for the feedback!
  • gbjerkegbjerke Member Posts: 158
    The skip shift is a total pain, but so easily remedied. Several sources sell a "skip shift eliminator" for like $20. It merely plugs into the tranny. A one minute job when it is in the air.
    Otherwise, you can short shift into second early or run the revs past the preprogrammed shift range. I've forgotten at what rpms this 1-4 works but yes, going from first to fourth does make it lug a bit.
    Also, there is a dash light that comes on when you are in the 1-4 range.
    This "feature" is moronic to me. GM says it is for EPA mileage reasons---baloney! Just run the revs up in first and never even think about the 1-4. Like that improves mileage!
    As to removing when selling, piece of cake. I removed mine from the '01 and popped it into my '03. The eliminator is a tiny module. Just unplug the wire "gizmo" from the tranny, slip on the module and plug right back in.
    For $20, it becomes a non issue.
    Good luck.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    The second commandment for Corvette owners states
    "Thou shalt not bring a Corvette to an automatic car wash"
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    I would have thought that (Thou shalt not bring a Corvette to an automatic car wash) was the first commandment.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I don't think you can totally defeat the skip shift, can you? I mean, the dash light will continue to operate, right?
  • gbjerkegbjerke Member Posts: 158
    Not sure how to answer you Shifty----it totally defeats the skip shift, but you're right, the little light on the dash does come on when the "normal" skip shift would be in the operating rev range.
    It's not a big deal IMO. The rev range is somewhere down around 1k rpms up to 2100, if I'm remembering correctly. Getting the car to 2100 rpms, especially with after market exhaust, is just about mandatory if you want to hear the note. ;) In the wife's Corsa Indy that's just about when it starts to sound good. My Magnaflow needs more than that to get into the rumble range. I know I'm in a small minority but it just isn't that big a deal. As for lugging in 4th the few times I've done an early shift, I usually just hesitate a bit and put it in 3rd instead, which also works, but with that much torque it isn't too bad in 4th unless you are trying to accelerate hard, but why would you get out of 1st under 2100 rpms if that were the case?
    Please note, I said when taking the Truck to the car wash. :) Although both local hand wash places do a very nice job. However, washing a vette is pretty quick work. The Excursion on the other hand, whew!
  • vicvvicv Member Posts: 41
    It's a pain sometimes and, on occasion, downright dangerous. I've pulled out in traffic and, instead of juicing it in 1st (& thereby overcoming the CAGS), went for 2nd only to find myself in 4th with traffic coming. Where does one find a skip shift eliminator?

BTW, before my C-5, I had a '95 Z-28 with it. I simply found the connector on the tranny and disconnected it. But I can't find the right one on this car.
  • simmssimms Member Posts: 2
    You can probably find it in Ecklers. Visit Ecklers.com and look under performance/modules ect. I believe it is $249 or $339. I am contemplating one also for my 04 convertible.
  • vicvvicv Member Posts: 41
    Simms,

Many thanks. Disconnecting it in my Z-28 doubled the enjoyment of the car. Should be the same in my Vette.

Vicv
    From an article about a murder trial related to a 2000 Corvette and 2002 MB racing and resultant fatalities to others.

"Information retrieved from a vehicle's black box has never been admitted as evidence in a criminal case in New York, Walsh said, although other states, such as California and Florida, have allowed it."

That is the Corvette Black Box not the MB.
    Two thoughts: 1.) If you play with fire (race on city streets), you may get burned (be held criminally responsible for the consequences of your actions to bystanders); 2.) The Corvette has probably the most extensive "black box" environment around. With a TECH2 diagnostic scanner, you can interrogate all manner of information from the different black boxes. For example, you can find the part number of the seat memory modules with the TECH2. This little feature saves time in removal of the memory module to determine which module to get if there is a failure of the module - you hook-up the TECH2 to the OBD port and get the module part number and place the order for the replacement part. You can also get a real-time readout of engine torque at the flywheel with the TECH2. The list of features goes on and on; I was truly amazed at what can be done with the TECH2. On balance, I see the TECH2 as a huge improvement in the diagnostic process.
    "1) 2004 C5 Intereresting Facts

On August 1, 2004 there were 5300 Corvettes in inventory equatting to a days supply of 41 days.

On July 1, 2004 the days supply was 62.

July 2004 Corvette sales totaled 3492

July 2003 Corvette sales totaled 2007

January thru July, 2004 Corvette sales totaled 21,880

January thru July, 2003 Corvette sales totaled 18,953

In spite of what some folks might think, it’s been a helluva year for C5 sales!!"

In case anyone was waiting for the last of the C5 inventory they had 41 days inventory 23 days ago, seems like there might not be a lot of choice left on the lots. But the deals still look great if you can find what you want. The wife let me drive the Corsa Indy exhaust today, too bad it would probably get me kicked off Laguna Seca, fun to listen to!
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Gee sounds like a good time to make a deal on a 2004 Corvette!!

If 34,000 corvettes are produced every year then 5300 Corvettes in inventory representing 41 days is app 16% of the total yearly production!? :(:)
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    A local Club-Heartland Corvette Club, Elizabethtown, KY, had a show this weekend. "Corvettes at Pine Valley Country Club." About 30 Vette showed up, with a pretty good variety of C-3s, 4's and 5's. No C-6's tho. Good time was had by all. Nice group of folks.

I am working with a fabricator to do a sunvisor plaque that will cover the ugly warning label that cannot be removed. The company did them for the 300M and it was a nice brushed aluminum or gold finish with black "CHRYSLER" lettering. The 04 C-5 label size is 1 1/2" high by 5 1/2" wide, but I don't know if that size applies to all the C-5s or just my year. Can someone measure the label on another C-5 year and let me know if the size is about the same as listed above? If they are the company may be able to market them for a larger segment of the Vette group. Lettering will probably say "CORVETTE". Thanks in advance.
    Yes, the days sales numbers are interesting given the high sales in July, well above the run rate for the rest of the year. At that rate they sell 42k per year. As the inventory continues to decline so will the sales and hence that stretches out the days sales remaining. Most interesting inventory I've seen on the web is a Georgia dealer that still has 7 CE Z06's at last look, wonder if they don't see the new Z06 release until next January so are trying to spread them out. Always wonder what they are thinking in cases like that.

OTOH, ugly but a guy in his CE Z06 up at Thunderhill race track last Wednesday lost it into a pit wall and according to a couple guys who saw the result, they expect it was totaled. Head on at speeds guessed at 70 to almost 100, I doubt the high number since the guy walked away, or the stock belt and air bag are really good. At least it didn't seem he had major injuries, except I expect to his mental state. I wish him well.
    http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101005

Not much but contributes to the notion that the new Z06 is a hatchback. I'm guessing that they are just using what they have to test the power plant and mechanicals and the coupe is just what's available. Also I'm still sticking to less than 500hp.
    Well, seems they have real mules out, better picture and I think the coupe question gets answered.
    http://forums.gminsidenews.com/showthread.php?threadid=8066

Enjoy the wait!
    This will be my first New England Winter with my 04 C5...The beast will have to be outside. I picked up a Winter cover...I was curious about my flip up lights. I asked my dealer about them getting stuck in real cold weather. He indicated to just let the car warm up first...This sound about right, or is there anything else I could possibly do..?..Thanx..Rod
    New Z06 pic's and this one shows coupe again vs. hardtop:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?DID=RSS&n=178&s- - id=178&article=7689

Actually I'd like that better if it had telescope wheel, but added weight is not what they are shooting for.

Some more guessing on the Z06, and anyone who uses 'corvette ... web sites' as a source is really without info. I just don't see the heavy coupe rear window being the light weight solution in a track car:
    http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/news-story.jsp?news_id=11244
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is wondering if anyone has had trouble getting parts for cars and trucks from the 1985-1997 model year. If you have a story to share, please send it to jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, November 19, 2004.
    Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Had a great day last Saturday. Went to the Museum where they had a special events day for Volunteers who help the Museum during the year. They treated us to lunch and we drove a 35 mile tour to get to the place we had lunch. Twenty-five Vettes blasting the backroads to a Rod and Gun Club. We did not have a single car, tractor, or anything in our lane for the entire trip. We ran from 50-60 in places. Cloudless sky, temperature at about 60, and the crew was led by a C-6 vert. The meal was superb with 16 oz. strips and baked potato and the best peach cobbler I have had in quite a while. Wish the members of this forum could have been along for the tour. Just a spectacular day with some great folks. One of the best days I've had in a long, long time. Oh, yes, they gave us some great Corvette posters that they had and a ZR-1 packet with a coffee table book and other ZR-1 stuff still wrapped in the cellophane. One of the posters with the C-5 Racing team on it was signed by all the drivers. They gave away 10 of those, but I didn't get one. I got 3 of the unsigned ones and a couple of other posters of various Vettes from previous years. I have no wall space at home, work or in my garage, so... if anyone is interested send me an email and let me know.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    Are the C-6 verts even out yet? A lot of people are waiting for any pictures of the car.
    Don't know if they are "Officially" out yet. This one had a dealer plate on it and might have been affiliated with the Plant or the Museum. It was in red...is it Victory Red? or Precision Red?? I have no idea having never seen the two side by side, but it was a nice red. I only looked at it for a couple of minutes as I was getting to leave. It was a top-down day though for sure.
    Car & Driver had a very flattering article on the new Corvette, matching it up with the Porsche 911.

Their conclusion was that if price were NO object, they'd take the 911, but with the $20K difference, the new Vette was a no-brainer as the choice for all but the most die-hard drivers.
    ....has a similar article, with a fairly similar outcome.

I have driven the new 911, and also the C5 Z06. I am intrigued by the new C6, but decided to wait for the new C6 Z06 to come out, at the January NAIA show in Detroit before making a decision.

Isn't everyone entitled to a mid-life crisis?

PS: I am guessing that bigmike5 confused a C6 coupe with the roof panel taken off with a convertible.
    bigmike said vert with top down and since I've seen pictures in several articles of the vert I'm betting there are several down by the plant. Too bad I'm so far from that area, but then again I think the wife might go for the delivery option in the future. Since it has been raining here and I'm now driving the C5 as the daily driver I'd hate to bring it out to a Vette event the way it looks. OTOH won't make much difference when I get up to Thunderhill at the end of the month. Glad you had a good time.
    Not confused. Definitely a Vert. If I was a rag top guy I probably would have spent more time ogling it, but I have found that in KY there are about 3 weeks a year when it is Vert. weather. Otherwise it is too hot, too humid, chance of thunder storms, stuff to store in the back, or...well you understand. Anyway, I've had my 04 since 1 July and still haven't taken the roof piece out, although I might have considered it last Saturday.

Museum delivery. If you have the chance to take advantage of the Museum Delivery, I highly recommend it. Everyone who has done it just raves about the process and treatment they received from the plant folks. They also have a special event each year at the Museum as a homecoming for those who took delivery that way. I wish I could have done it, but they had stopped doing Medium Spiral Gray on 04's before I pulled the trigger on getting a Vette, so my dealer had to get on the computer to find mine in Ohio. If there is a next time I will do it that way.
  • ifelifeifelife Member Posts: 2
    Odometer reading milege when you turn on the lights are not working. Year 2000 Vett. (help please)

Thanks
    Each mode of the DIC (Driver info center) has a blank line and some times it gets left on that setting. Otherwise the led's could be out, which I really doubt, don't they last forever?
  • skeezixskeezix Member Posts: 45
    There sure isn't much going on at this forum. I'm wondering when this forum and the 2005 Corvette forum will be merged.
         I recently found that the floor jack I've been using for the last 25 years won't fit under my 2003 Corvette. I cannot use it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what jack to buy. I found a Lincoln jack that is 4.25" tall, so it should fit under the car, but it's $350.00. I'll pay that if I have to. Also, the owners manual suggests where to locate a jack, but with a jack in a position, how can I utilize jack stands? What do you folks do?
         I thought I'd found a pair of those ramps that one can drive the front or the rear wheels up the ramps so someone can get under the car to work (or just look). The packing around the ramps even showed a C5 Corvette up on the ramps; however, the ramps needed to be about 3 " wider. The ramps were not wide enough for the Corvette's tires.
    All the normal boiler plate warnings apply. There is one critical page in the Corvette shop manual which describes the jack points.

I do have a low profile jack (2.75 in?), but since there are a few ways to jack the Corvette, you can get it lifted (with your old jack) by getting a set of pucks (dunnage etc)(made, bought, etc) and jacking one at a time on the main lift points designed for the 4 point lift. Jackstands can go on the front cross member(and rear cross member also) or on either side of the cross member (near where the aluminum circle areas are located.) You can also jack the front cross member from the front end (the additional problem is that you will perceive the need for a longer extended model, (which you really don't need), i.e., more bucks) or from the side, behind each front wheel and place your jackstands on each of the 4 point lift areas, or if you have room under each of the cross member circle areas. There are more ways, but I dont want to overload you with information.

I have also used the so called "Rhino Ramps" (12k # capacity) in lieu of jackstands for oil and filter changing. The tires are as you say too big for the ramp. I have driven the Corvette on the ramps ( a bit dicey), but mostly just have jacked up the vehicle as described above and just put the ramps under the wheels and let it down.
    Got a set of pucks from GM dealer. Got a light weight racers jack from harborfreight.com for about $110, or $100 if I remember correctly. It was $10 more for the blue body vs the standard silver of the brushed aluminum, but then again I have a blue car. Been using it for a year to change wheels and works great once you learn how to bleed air and once in awhile add some fluid. Very light weight. Harborfreight has stores in Nor. Cal. so my daughter picked it up about 100 miles away since none of the stores near me had it in stock but near her they had 5 in stock. Good luck.
    Randy
    http://www.gizmo.com.au/go/3496/

Now since it is a concept, read FUD, fear, uncertainty and doubt they should at least have said 500hp since the new Z06 will be closer to that and the stock Vette will probably push the 425hp they discuss. If you don't have product, create a concept and maybe somebody will wait to buy it vs. what's available today.
    Yeah, I think by and large GM is changing somewhat the concept to: building a car a "consumer" wants. I would even hazard a guess that the profit per car (Corvette) is probably also the highest, even over the GM suv lines. After following different web sites and threads since 1999, it seems that every Corvette is earmarked, even if that means GM dealer 333 gets 33 Vettes.
    There is an allocation formula. Details are pretty scarce, but it seems to be structured around how many Corvettes you sold the previous year. And there are case-by-case exceptions.

When I ordered my 2003, I wanted the 3.15 performance rear end. Because the 3.15 rear end impacts the Corporate Average Fuel Economy number, the car didn't get built until February, 2003 (order was placed early December, 2002). The only reason it got built in February, 2003 was due to manufacturer intercession as a result of a request by the dealer (and according to the dealer, cars had to be shifted around in the manufacturing que to meet the February CAFE number).
    Yeah I would also agree. I use the word byzantine!!! :)

I hope since I ordered mine (in 2000) that it is at least more information friendly, (to you the end customer) but at the time it was FAR from it. The car did "have my name on it" at the factory (literally and figuratively, verified through a non related source). I have come to understand that was quite a feat; since I did not order it through a "Chevy" dealer but a GM/GMC dealer. This particular dealer actually made it almost a custom process and seemed to do it much more competitively than local "Chevy" dealers. Since they do call from time to time and I do go up from time to time (Napa Valley wine country) they have upped their yearly Z06 Vette quota from one (that year) to something like 25 or so.
    http://www.theracesite.com/index.cfm?pagetype=2&form_article=- 8443

There's more to putting a race car on the track than most of us will ever have an idea about. Just driving a street car on the track is a lot more complicated than anyone knows when they get started. Fun stuff!
    I've heard that if you *really* want to win you have to pump in about $1,000 a weekend, even on the real amateur stuff.