Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Corvettes and all things about them

Comments

• starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    I would admit they are close but not equal, in my world. At
    least out here, Boxster's are pricier than base Vette's. I
    did look at the Boxster and the one I liked some was near $60k
    vs. the $45k I got for all the options I wanted. All I'm
    discussing is road courses, not autocrosses, and in that
    environment as a leading edge baby boomer the Vette has
    so far been superior to the Boxster with me behind the wheel.
    That is a pretty big handicap since I've been to racing
    schools where I'm 5, 8 and sometimes 10 seconds off the
    younger kids driving equal cars. And I'm even giving up
    more street tires vs. the occasional DOT-R shod Boxster.

Now I do realize that not everyone wants to drive on race
    tracks, but for me it provides some measure. There's a guy
    with a newer Cayman S that has more experience than I do in
    other cars and has run just better than my Vette at some
    tracks, just off at others, but I'll admit from other views
    of the car it is better all around than the stock C5. There
    are lots of 911's out on track and that means most pass me
    but there are others that have much more performance available
    but are slower. All that proves is that it is mostly the
    driver and then how much you wish to spend on top of that.

As to apples and oranges, why so? Same price range unless
    you want some of the pricier options on the Porsche. Just
    because a stock Vette will compete with 911's doesn't make
    that a better comparison, IMO.
    fedlawman: " ... I've been lapping since 2003 and I have never timed a single lap - I could care less. "

I'd really be interested in why?

I didn't start timing until I had more than a year on track
    but at some point I wanted to have a measure of improvement.
    Actually, I came along as slow as anyone else I know. I ran
    in entry level groups with instructors for a full two years,
    hey it was free. Then I ran in lower intermediate for another
    year + until I got kicked out at an event where there were
    fewer folks in the next group up and they wanted to equalize
    the track load. It never bothered me waiting for a signal
    to pass, it was all about hitting the line. As I've noted
    to several folks, if you aren't on the line, you only think
    you're going fast!
    Randy
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "I'd really be interested in why?"

You answered your own question - it's about the drive, not the speed/time.

It's about exploring/pushing limits in a controlled setting, experimenting with different lines/techniques, and learning to recognize and work the subtle cues that a fine sports car transmits through it's steering, brakes, chassis, etc. There's not much subtlety in a Corvette.

But I do agree with you in one regard - if you don't appreciate or care about the Cayman's impeccable quality, refinement, feel, and response, then save yourself $15,000 and enjoy the torque.
  • 5539655396 Member Posts: 529
    "As I've noted to several folks, if you aren't on the line, you only think you're going fast!"

Well, if you think you're going fast, what else matters? But then, if you're like me, when I see a bike ahead, I have to catch him and see if I can pass. And, if I think I'm going fast, all is well until someone passes me. I would love track time IF there was a track close, and IF my priorities were to throw money at chasing a tenth of a second while chasing my tail round and round in a circle. Maybe at 21 it would have been top priority. And it was, but in different ways. I always had one of the faster muscle cars. Today, I prefer to spend my $$ in other ways, like a winter home in AZ, or play Scrooge McDuck. Oh, I would still run a course if I had the chance, just for the experience, but now, when I have done something I wanted to, I would rather move on and experience something else. I always enjoy those tight little roads though, and a Boxster or a BMW 335 is more than adequate for that. In fact, after driving all of the BMW's, the 335 is my choice with the 6xx series coming in second. 335 will whup the 6 though. The upcoming 1xx series with the same 300 HP twin turbo six should be awesome. It will be interesting to see how it does against the Vette. Especially if there is an M. Bad for the ego to get passed by a bottom line six. I found a track in Texas where you drive an outlaw car. Seems like it was a day or so, and you got 100 laps for $3000. THAT, I would love to do. I always felt that if I could find something that would leap up in the air and turn a somersault when I hit the throttle................ This would be about as close as you could get, other than a dragster of a funny car. On the street, my old Kawasaki 2 stroke 750CC triple was close. Within 3 months I had modified it. Couldn't keep the front wheel on the ground. Ain't toys fun. Takes lots more finesse to shave seconds off on a road course, I would guess.
    " ... There's not much subtlety in a Corvette.

But I do agree with you in one regard - if you don't appreciate or care about the Cayman's impeccable quality, refinement, feel, and response, then save yourself $15,000 and enjoy the torque. "

Well, I would agree that most don't feel the Vette is subtle.
    On the other hand, it is a far different world with the C5
    than prior gen's and the C6 is another step in the right
    direction. Try one some time.

As for enjoying the torque vs. the Cayman S, I noted that it
    is the better car although it's hard to say with equal drivers.
    It takes more skill to drive the 911, or, I think the Cayman
    than a 50/50 Vette. I see guys that can make 911 RS clones
    do amazing things with much less HP. The Cayman takes more
    talent as was evident when I coached a Cayman driver at the
    Buttonwillow track for a day. Now, admittedly the guy was
    never going to be very fast but the car made up for a lot,
    until he forget that the blind entry to the Off Ramp went
    off camber and instead of hitting the brakes before entry he
    hit the throttle and then hit the brakes too hard after his
    turn in. We ended up about 50' into the dirt and to give the
    kid credit he did lock down and only slid sideways so he got
    all the following wave of dirt through his window and not
    mine. As I noted, he was very lucky, me too, since we only
    got to about 4' from the tire bales. So, I appreciate the
    Cayman and it may well be worth the extra $15k, but for equal
    bucks, the Vette is far superior to the Boxster.
    Randy
    55396: " Well, if you think you're going fast, what else matters? But then, if you're like me, when I see a bike ahead, I have to catch him and see if I can pass. And, if I think I'm going fast, all is well until someone passes me. I would love track time IF there was a track close, and IF my priorities were to throw money at chasing a tenth of a second while chasing my tail round and round in a circle.
    ... "

I have to agree that if there is something up the next
    straight that wasn't there before it gets me going since I
    know I'm closing it. I don't know many on track that look
    at it otherwise. As to chasing the last 1/10th, well there
    aren't that many kids out on track, mostly folks that have
    achieved something and do tracking vs. golf, etc. Racers are
    a different crowd. As to getting 1/10th's off, I've been
    doing it for 5 years and just set some new personal bests at
    Thunderhill so there is always more to achieve. I'm glad to
    say :)
    Randy
    I've driven both, and I agree the C6 is a big improvement over the C5 (the C6 is the first Corvette I enjoyed driving (not counting my friend's '67 Stingray) and could actually imaging owning). From what I've read, the 2008 C6 sounds even better still - definitely steps in the right direction.

Not to drag this on, but...regarding "equal bucks," I'd say the Honda S2000 is also superior to the Vette - and significantly less expensive. Apples and oranges I know, but the Honda is simply telepathic - magical (and I have a place in my heart for high-strung inline 4's).

Keep the rubber side down Randy.
    I truly do understand and envy you for being able to do it. I wish I had the option, no matter what I drove. Who knows, I may own another Vette. Depends which super deal shows up first, but I'm patient - and there is usually a good payoff. The hunt is important for me too. I love the deal. Enjoy your track time.

Jerry
    Well, for that matter, in addition to the S2000, the boosted
    Suburu and Mitsubushi, WRX and Evo are a better bang for the
    buck if someone wants to drive them. The S2000 is amazing on
    track but is a handful with shorter wheelbase. The 2 4WD
    cars can be driven what I call 'stupid fast', they go well
    beyond what new drivers are capable of controlling, hence
    I've seen several roll/flip at track days.

But, the S2000 was simply too small inside for me at this
    point in my life, much tighter than my '72 MGB for instance.
    And the other two are just not sporty, IMO, no matter how
    capable. It is a matter of finding something that tickles
    your fancy and being happy.

Thanks for the good wishes in all cases. I'll try to keep
    the rubber on the road when I get over to Spring Mt. MSP
    for the next event. And yes, my wife is a very tolerant
    woman, in addition to having her own non-track Corvette.
    Randy
  • vettevervettever Member Posts: 20
    Has anybody out there tried 5PDCoatings scratch remover? It sounds to good to be true! They claim it takes out swirl marks and scratches with very little effort. My vette is a black daily driver and if this stuff works I would think I died and went to Heaven!
    "I found a track in Texas where you can drive an outlaw car."

I just stumbled across it. You want brute power? Here ya go.

Outlaw driving school

http://outlawdrivingschool.com/classes.html
    I just Googled car detailing and found this:

http://www.tintdude.com/auto-detailing.html

I just use a polisher with just a touch of compound - scratch remover, whatever. Buff lightly until the compound burnishes out to a shine with just a light residue of compound left, then remove that with a cloth or towel. Experiment to find the method that works for you. On bad surfaces, I color sand with 1500-2500 wet-or-dry sand paper, then rubbing or polishing compound. Hand waxers may shudder, but it works. Once you get to this point, you can hand wax if you like. If a scratch has gone through the clear coat. there isn't much you can do, although I always wanted to carefully fill one like that with clear coat. and then color sand starting with a block, to get the surface level. Has anyone done this? Other methods/products?
  • hal56hal56 Member Posts: 94
    i have been using Zaino Bros products since day one.

I have a 99 C5 and in the next month I am going to strip off all the old wax , clean the paint, clay magic it, and reapply wax. Probably a 2 day project but the car should look pretty good.

I find the scratch and swirl removers make for good marketing.

just remembered i have to get a new air filter--just did a hard drive thru AZ and Nevada.
    The local Zaino rep keeps a list of detailers and I've had
    both our Vette's done a couple times. Whatever he did the
    last time on my Electron Blue took out the vast majority of
    the swirls and it looks good, except for the rock chips on
    the head light covers and hood, not to mention under the
    door panels. The wife's is Mill... Yellow and always seems
    to look good. Then again it never runs on race tracks.
    Zaino has some very good stuff. I use the spray on spot
    cleaner and it does wonders.
    Randy
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Member Posts: 110
    When I fill the tank on my 2007 C6 it will run over if I try to put any more gas in after it kicks off the first time. Does anyone else have this problem or jut me?
    Seems to me there's a simple solution...
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    They all do that.

Don't do it.

When it stops, it's full.
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Member Posts: 110
    I guess that came out a little stupid, but what I wanted to say was the other two Corvettes I had (C4 and C5) would take at least 50 cents to a dollar more when the pump kicked off. I just wondered if my C6 and all other cars ran over if you tried to put gas in after the pump kicked off.
    The wife's '04 C5 is like that, only takes a few pennies to
    overfill. However, my '02 is like most older cars, it will
    take whatever I want to add to round up to even $ amount.
    Randy
    OK. My 2007 does than. I am not sure, but I think all C6's do this.

And, on other forums with much, much more discussion that this one, most of them - when a pump hose click off, if you continue, it's going to go on the ground, after flowing down the side of your shinny car.

And, I don't know if the C6 started the design, but I know my 2007 has a split tank. There are about 10 gallons on the left side, and another 10 gallons on the right side.

And, there is a huge amount of hardware for the fuel tank. It basically has a large hose at the top that is used when filling to allow gas to flow to the other side tank. And it has a separate pump that does nothing but move gas from one side to the other where the actual fuel pump resides. And the computer looks at flow rates and if fuel is not transferring between the two tanks it will set an error message. And there have been cars towed because problems with this system.

On one of the other forums I noted, there is a picture of an entire fuel tank system pulled from a car. And a schemetic. Very complex.

So, something about this system allows gas to completely fill it up. To the top. More will run over.

And, like Corvettes do, some new ones will NOT take gas. People talk about 15 minutes to put 10 gallons in a car. This has happened to mine one time - it shut down at about half a tank.
    Why is getting another 4 ounces of gas in your tank so important?
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Today is the 1 year point, and just over 15,500 miles of Daily Driver Duty + a couple of longer “out of town” trips in my C6. So, I decided to share the experience and my expectations of the next year of C6 driving here.

Car: 2007 C6 Coupe, 3LT, A6, ‘Base Suspension’.

Use: 75+ percent = commuting in & out of Mid-Town HotLanta. The rest has been primarily the typical errand running, shopping, out-to-dinner and a couple of longer runs – 500+ miles in a long weekend.

Overall MPG: Current average for all use: 22.37
    Highway MPG: Consistently over 28.

This is my first Corvette, and my first sports \ GT car – in over 38 years of buying cars.

There is much to commend the C6, and I have largely enjoyed the driving experience. I am glad I [ finally ] decided to buy a Corvette. A confluence of personal circumstances & the additional refinements of the ’07 C6 made this a viable choice – for me.

The fact that this very high performance GT car can actually be used as a Daily Driver & commuter is still rather surprising to me. The actual, average fuel mileage continues to be remarkable, though I had read accounts here & elsewhere regarding similar mileage before purchasing mine.

The acceleration is certainly exceptional. Under most driving conditions, the C6 is docile & not nearly as demanding, as noisy or as stiff riding as sports cars I remember driving & riding in as recently as 10 years ago. I find the ride and the seating quite livable, in both commuting and longer trips.

I have great respect for the Corvette team. They have developed an extraordinarily capable and rewarding vehicle to drive – at what I see as a very reasonable price.

And yet, when the time does come to sell or trade my C6, I expect that I will not replace it with another Corvette.

The reasons for that have more to do with my personal preferences and my use of the car as a Daily Driver than anything I’d describe as inherently ‘wrong’ with the C6.

For those who may care, my reasons to choose a different car than a Corvette next time include:

Life’s just too short to ( with rare exceptions ) repeat such things as car ownership. The selection of interesting vehicles available continues to grow each day, it seems. I enjoy variety, and even a significantly enhanced C6 will not likely be ‘different enough’ to sway me. But that’s just me & just my opinion . . .

More seriously: I had a significant trans. issue ( described elsewhere ) that finally resulted in ‘only third gear’ & a CEL at approx. 12,000 miles. The preliminary symptoms of that issue appear to be re-surfacing recently. This re-occurrence of a major ( supposedly ‘fixed’ ) problem, I find rather discouraging, troubling & very irritating.

I remain concerned each time I drive this car that I will smack something vulnerable under the front end. I am very careful at intersections & driving over \ through abrupt transitions – yet even the 2” drop, backing out of my garage scrapes the front spoiler every time. I understand that the lowness is an integral part of the Corvette Experience – and clearly contributes to the nimble and ‘confidence inspiring’ handling. I have seen threads here about raising the car – and it also appears that somewhat more aggressive damping ( Koni FSDs, perhaps ) might also help. But I doubt I’ll do either. I will just live with this until I trade. It annoys me that I have to.

The ongoing issues with properly lifting a C6 amaze me – and I am very glad that I have so far not had to take my car for service to any but “my” ( selling ) dealer. Seems to me that, at this point in the Corvette model year(s) cycle, taking a C6 to most any Chevy Dealer should not be a cause for nervousness & trepidation. But it certainly is, at least for me.

Although I had no problem with hand washing my C6 in my driveway every weekend, I cannot now ( legally ) do that. And with the current ( and likely future ) water restrictions here in North Georgia, I do now rue the fact that I cannot take the car through even a “high-end” car wash, occasionally.

I really miss a true sunroof \ moonroof. Much more than I expected that I would. I have had a tilt up or slide back clear roof on every car I have purchased since 1985, and several sedans I had before that had solid sunroofs. I have the clear top & purchased the headliner from DSVettes. The fact that I cannot tilt up the rear of the roof, for additional ventilation & the fact that when the top is removed, the resulting buffeting reduces the comfortable top speed ( for me ) to well below my typical highway pace combine to mean I really do miss the convenience a more traditional moonroof with sliding sunscreen offered – and a switch that conveniently & instantly allowed a number of combinations of sun, shade & additional fresh air. While driving. Oh, well. Having to re-apply silicone monthly to all top mating surfaces, to avoid annoying creaks, snaps & groans is a minor ( related ) annoyance.

The one time I had an issue with an OEM run-flat Goodyear ( even having done research on this here prior to purchase ) I was still amazed at the mis-information and lack of help I received from both Chevy Dealers and Goodyear stores.

I was and I remain annoyed that I had to spend additional $$s to make my Corvette sound like – well, like anything, really. The OEM system on my 2007 allowed virtually none of the characteristic heterodyne beat of a V8 motor to escape. And the ‘drone’ issue on any aftermarket A6 system makes this doubly aggravating. If I’d waited & bought a 2008, I’d have bought the new NPP \ dual mode OEM system. And a Mild2Wild ‘switch’. As it is, I have had a compromise \ hybrid system installed, that is “OK”.

I miss having more storage space in the passenger compartment.

I miss having a back seat. Though I rarely have used one for passengers, the additional room was useful for ‘stuff’ I typically carry.

Now I hasten to add here ( again ) that none of this is meant to disparage or ‘disrespect’ the C6. It is a commendable effort. Overall, it is a terrific GT car - and if any car with an MSRP over $50K can be termed ‘a bargain’, then I consider it to be a bargain. And it is the only GT car I can imagine that I could actually use as a Daily Driver. And I do recognize that any sedan I might choose will ( stock ) not be in the same acceleration or handling class as the C6. (( sigh ))

If I could justify having a car that was exclusively devoted to weekend “for fun only” duty, it would almost certainly be a Corvette Coupe.

Cheers,
    - Ray
    Hoping the next 15,500 miles will be even better . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Great post Ray. Thanks for sharing.
    Another thanks for sharing. We are all individuals and have
    different experiences that arrive at the present, so the
    Corvette my be perfect for some and maybe have some issues
    for others.
    I really relate to your comment about newer cars vs. older
    sports cars. I drove an MG for a dozen of more years in
    the 70's/80's before commuting in a Nissan for 15 years, and
    when I got the C5 I thought I would keep the mileage down by
    going with a low mile C4 for the 5 mile commute to the BART
    station. After a year, it was so much less satisfying to
    get into the C4 that I unloaded it so I could drive the C5
    more. 73k miles later I'm still pretty happy.
    Randy
    The National Corvette Museum held a track event last weekend at the
    Spring Mountain Motorsports Park in Pahrump, NV, about 55 miles to
    the NW of Las Vegas. There were about 100 Corvettes on track for
    the weekend in 5 different classes. Some very fast race cars driven
    by folks that compete nationally with SCCA and NASA as well as folks
    who were out for the first time on track with instructors. The NCM has
    several folks that organize and run events and with some support and
    entries from GM staff it makes for a great weekend of meeting folks
    from all over the country. Got to do some laps with one of the GM brass
    and then provided rides to several folks and one spouse who wanted
    to see the track.

Spring Mountain is the home to a Corvette driving school so they are
    very familiar with the cars and the best line to get around the 3.1 mile
    course we were driving. They provided some late Friday laps at lower
    speeds to get folks up to speed on the upper Radical loop which is
    new to most of the folks not from the So. Calif area. It is a portion of the
    track not used in the regular school and is much tighter than the main
    course. This resulted in a few offs during the weekend but nobody did
    any thing fatal to their car's for the whole weekend. There were a few
    mechanicals, but considering there were some GM staff cars that
    were driving in four out of five sessions, the cars got used heavily.

The turn out was truly national as I got to talk to several folks from the
    Bay Area, like me, and also three black Z06's that were towed in from
    GA on a single 5th wheel rig by three couples. There were also guys
    I talked to from WA, Chicago, NY and Maryland. It was worth the 1000+
    mile round trip just to meet some of the top Corvette folks from GM.
    Hopefully they will come out to the Bay Area one of these days.
    Randy
  • one_roadkingone_roadking Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Corvette coupe. The warning light saying "check gas cap" just came on and despite resetting it several times it comes back. I can't get a new one until Monday. Any problem with driving it that way? Would it change mileage or anything?

Car seems to run fine. Thanks
  • mickeymouse2mickeymouse2 Member Posts: 161
    Its not going to hurt anything, unless, unless you try and get a smog check done with that stupid light on. lol Couldn't resist! The only time you need to worry about a warning light, is when your check engine light starts blinking while driving. When its just on, its telling you to have something checked out. When it starts blinking, the PCM fears serious engine, or smog equipement damage. Don't worry about the gas cap light. Either you have a bad gas cap, or a small leak has fooled the PCM into thinking you left it off.
    Replace the cap. The system needs it on there to function correctly. I think the 2005's had more problems than the later models. If the car is still underwarranty it will not cost anything. In any case, it will not be horribly expensive.

But, yes, it could be something else in the fuel system rather than the cap. If the system is not air tight because of another leak, this message will be displayed.
  • one_roadkingone_roadking Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I stopped today at a dealer and got a new cap. It didn't seem to help. They too said it would be fine to drive until I have time for a smoke test to find a leak.

It does seem the gas mileage is running a little behind right now.

Appreciate your insight
  • printzprintz Member Posts: 70
    Should be getting my Vette sometime in March.......Any suggestions on a good indoor cover that's real easy to take ON & OFF....Just concerned about keeping airborn particles off.......

Thanks for any suggestions....
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    i think it takes a bunch of engine on/off cycles to clear the gas cap code...
    my GTO gas cap failed as many do, and was replaced under warranty. GM later sent a letter saying that the gas cap warranty has been extended to 100k miles for all GTOs.
    in my case there was no pressure seal, but also no OBD dashboard warning - i drove it like that for months. mpg seemed lower.
    http://bgdailynews.com/articles/2008/01/09/news/news4.txt

Discusses current sales downturn and production. Also mentions future economy

http://money.cnn.com/2008/01/04/autos/corvette_not_leaving/?postversion=20080107- 14

This is about the future economy issue, I like the line about Corvette MPG being
    better than smaller sports cars. Gotta love torque and that tall 6th gear.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's a great combination but the driver has to be sober about the tall gearing. If he lugs even a torquey V8 at an extremely low RPM, the engine wear is going to be considerable. Lugging is one of the worst things you can do to an engine, bar none. This is why some automakers won't even let you GO into overdrive until the engine is warmed up. (automatic transmission cars).

What a concept--- a hypermiler in a Corvette! :cry:
  • chuckvchuckv Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have an 89 Convertible that I'll probably put up for sale in the spring. I'm trying to establish a sale price but in doing a little research I'm seeing pricing for comparable Vettes that are just all over the place. Can anyone advise a good resource to assist in ascertaining a realistic fair market value ?

My Vette is real cherry with only a little over 17,000 miles and has seen no bad weather driving. Photos here: 89 Vette Photos

Thanks,
    Chuck
    02 Z06, daily driver,19000 miles with a new battery. Every once in a while when I turn the key it acts like the battery is dead or the clutch isn't on the floor. It starts after several tries but yesterday it took about 20 tries. I'm afraid to take it to the dealer because he'll keep it a week, charge a fortune and find nothing wrong. Any hints? Thanks, Joe.
    You could temporarily bypass the clutch switch and see if the problem goes away. Also, check your battery terminals for corrosion or looseness; also inspect your wiring at the starter solenoid for looseness or corrosion; otherwise, I'd suspect your ignition key is just worn out at this high mileage.
  • cnwcnw Member Posts: 105
    Huh? I tracked with you until "worn out at this high mileage." Since when is 19,000 high mileage?
    Oh, LOL! I read it as "119000".

Well would you throw rocks at me if I said "worn out as per a GM ignition switch?" (the C5s used to jam a lot IIRC)

But seriously, the advice still applies regardless of mileage. Good luck tracking this down.
    Whew!! I thought you were trying to tell us something. Thanks for the clarification.
    Clark
    No worries--a C5 is not a Ferrari. 19K miles is nothin'.
    Thanks for the responses, I'm using the other key and keeping my fingers crossed! I'm also hoping to get another 19000 miles out of the old boy!
    Thanks again,
    Joe
    Thank goodness none of the 'Vettes are Ferraris. Tempermental and costly to maintain. And they sell it as personality and status. Give me raw, brute torque and horsepower. Besides, there are distinct advantages to American production cars when economies are in turmoil. Clark
  • fwayne1fwayne1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '74 Corvette Stingray and am looking around for a local corvette club in the Washington State area, preferrable Seattle and north. Can anyone help.
    yeah but Ferraris sound great. Nothin' like it Of course, it costs about $1 a mile to drive one. :P
  • jsouthjsouth Member Posts: 13
    I work with a bunch of guys that have GT mustangs and Shelby Mustangs that say they can beat my 2007 C6 in a drag race. We are going to a local drag strip to see but the question I want to ask some of you guys is should I leave the traction control on or off . I have raced Motorcross for many years but haven`t drag raced very much so I need some input. Thanks
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Off.

But if you seriously want to win and to lessen the chance of equipment failure, you really need to practice and correctly. My guess is the bunch of guys you work with have done this more than once.

I personally would not do it unless I was ready for a minimum of a new clutch, flywheel and throw out bearing combo. (before you do this, you might want to peg a cost) Also you can easily fry a set of 1200-1500 dollar tires. So really a set of drag strip tire and rim combo is almost a must.
  • jsouthjsouth Member Posts: 13
    My car has an auto trans and i`m not going to push it too hard at least not hard enough to tear something up. This is just for fun so I hope not to do any damage. I just know that with the traction control off it is really hard to hook up. I`ll just have to practice alot. Thanks
    Certainly agree on what the tire rules are. If you use stock street rubber, skill will be a factor off the line. Done properly, wear and tear shouldn't be excessive. I never ripped up anything when I raced, and always did full throttle power shifts with my heavier 65 Impalla SS 396CI 425HP. We even used sticky racing compound. Make a few trial runs both ways. If you can't master a hole shot, you may turn better times with TC on. Watch others to see how they come off the lights etc. Good luck.
    Why don't you do this the simple way, and come back and tell us.

Have the car warmed up, put the tranny in Sport mode, don't touch the paddles, leave traction control turned on, and just stand on it when the light turns green.

I think you will eat their lunch.