Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Corvettes and all things about them

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's a good place to start but I think I'm closer than you are (of course, I hope you get your price, but....).

If you aren't even getting calls or offers, after say 2 weeks, then that does tell you something.

Also try www.craigslist.com

and there's also

www.corvettetrader.com

C4s are tough to sell and there's a lot of them out there. But you are in the "realistic realm" so yeah, it's probably the economy that's stalling your sale.
  • flozickflozick Member Posts: 4
    Joe, Thanks for giving me more feedback. I appreciate you saying my starting price might be in the "Realistic Realm" because I don't mind waiting 2 weeks. I agree with you that the economy is probably affecting the sale. Thanks again. Flo :)
  • flozickflozick Member Posts: 4
    Joe, I take your suggestion and try covette trader.com.
  • kms34655kms34655 Member Posts: 12
    >> However, when I shut it down, I get this noise from under the hood. It is fairly loud and sounds like perhaps a fan hitting a shroud or some such, but only lasts a few seconds.

This thread is a number of months old so you may have solved this problem already.

The problem you mention is most likely the motor on one or both of the headlights. The gears are plastic and strip after a few years. I went through 2 or 3 motors in my 2001 coupe before I sold it. There was actually someone selling brass gears and instructions on how to replace them on eBay due to the high number of failures. The failure mode is exactly the symptom you describe.

I loved my Corvette when it worked but after 5 years it was just a hassle to keep running. I'd like to get another one but I need reliable transportation. Maybe the current C6 is better.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    The problem you mention is most likely the motor on one or both of the headlights.

Thanks, kms34655, you are exactly right; in fact, I had stopped monitoring this site or I would have responded sooner. It took me a while to isolate the problem, because the car is parked in a garage, the headlights were set to come on automatically (which they did whenever I started the car), and the noise only happens when the lights go off and retract. Oddly enough, the mechanism still raises and lowers the lights. Anyway, thanks for nailing the problem down to the gears; at least I'll know what to tell the mechanic to do.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• musclecarnutmusclecarnut Member Posts: 1
    My wipers will not park either. You are right about the relay inside the motor. There is an arm that the cam pushes against a contact in the relay to park. The contact is burnt so I need a new relay. Do you know where I can find one? I have checked several corvette parts catalogs with no luck.
  • bust_itbust_it Member Posts: 26
    I`ve got two butterflies inside my headlights ! How did they get there and how do I get them out ?
  • bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    I just had my driver side headlight motor repaired under an extended warranty I purchased. I had previously bought 2 brass gear replacement kits @ $47.95 each plus shipping just in case of the inevitable failure of the original plastic gears. I had the same grinding noise for about 5 seconds after light door closing. My buddy has his own automotive repair shop and he fixed it. Mine needed a new motor @ $475 and also had to have seals replaced in the rear end. BTW--BE VERY CAREFUL when trying to open the motor to replace the plastic gear---it is VERY fragile :(:( Total cost for both repairs almost $900 less my $100 deductible--warranty's are great!! Vette's are great--just costly to repair.
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    Hello:
    I just bought a 2004 Twin turbo Corvette C5. I was just wondering if anyone else on this forum had modified their vette...and what their experience and issues were ?

I have some small issues with noise from the tranny.

Some fuel system problems.

AC leak due to AC hose touching the hot exhaust.

ANyone else have these problems ?
  • starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    I ran into lots of boosted Vette's at the track and mostly they had 'issues' at every
    track day. I had one power steering issue over about 4 sessions in my C5 and it
    was related to plumbing for an after market oil cooler. Other than that the C5 was
    a work horse over 5 years and well over 100 track days. Modified cars are best
    loved by those that enjoy the work on the car more than the driving. IMHO
  • drs460drs460 Member Posts: 1
    can anyone tell me if there is a manufacturers car alarm on 1984 corvettes...i lost my door key and want to use a slim jim to try to open it...don't want to bother all the neighbors...
    Yeah there is an alarm---I think it's just the blinking lights and horn variety. Once you open the car door, if you have all your tools ready, you should be able to disconnect the battery pretty quick (negative cable). The battery is behind the driver's side front wheel when you open the hood.
  • pries4pries4 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2005 corvette with 6900 mi. Haven't had any trouble with it until today. I opened up the hatchback door and it wouldn't stay up. Wondering if anybody else has had this problem and if it is a costly repair.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    There are two small hydrolic cylinders that hold the hatch up. You can easily see them on both sides of the hatch.

One or both of these are getting 'weak'. Cold weather also effects them, especially if you park outside and winter is coming.

These might be replaced with non-Chevy parts from a parts store. My guess is about $30 apeace. Who knows what Chevy wants for them. I would guess this is a $150 for both at Chevy.
    I'm with bolivar. Take one of the old struts and try to match them up with anything that fits, and avoid $$$ Corvette parts prices. I ran Nissan struts on my Porsches for years. Not only 1/3rd the price, but they lasted longer :P

Easy on/off, just a bolt or two, but you might need a piece of lumbar to support the hatch while you work.
  • kentmagnusonkentmagnuson Member Posts: 4
    Wife and I just got our 2010 LT2 coupe, manual tranny, about a week ago. Huge fun to drive...and we enjoy just looking at it also. We added a Callaway short-throw shifter, which further enhanced the fun. Too bad we do not have no-speed-limit freeways here in the States, to really appreciate what these are capable of.
  • mbdmbd Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone know the changes from the '09 to the 2010? Anything added or updated (except new Torch Red color)? Thanks,
    mbd
    "notable" chances include launch control standard (manual transmission models), Performance Traction Management on the ZR1, being able to order any Corvette in any color, and a cashmere interior package available on the Z06 and ZR1.
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    Recently read about the recall planned for Jan. 2010; and that it was previously listed as a TSB, but apparently the fix before hasn't worked.?.
    I own a '07 coupe and haven't noticed anything wrong with the "stowable" top. Mine seems to be fine.

Curious if owners who have experienced the reported seperation problem, if there are symptoms that would warn the owner prior to a disaster while driving. The thought of having it seperate while driving at highway speed; and the associated liability gives me concern.

In other words, do they show signs of "partial" seperation, noises, leaks, etc. before complete seperation ????

Also, anyone have problems with the "see through" panels ????
    Thinking that might be a better way to go.

Will GM notify owners ????
    I will try to give you some info on the history of this.

Chevy has pretty much been fixing these tops for years, if the owner just goes in and asks. The first fix was some kind of 'foam' adhesive. Many people that had this done seemed to think it did not work very well. The next fix was a total replacement of the top with a different design (material) top. I think some of the hardware might be moved from the old to the new top. And, of course, the new top must be painted to match. It took some time to get the replacement, since so many people wanted it, and it first went to production of new cars, but they did get caught up, probably in mid- 2007, with replacing the tops rather quickly, when someone asked for it, or their top developed a problem.

In early 2007 models the change to the new top was made. I have a 2007, with a VIN number in the low 6000 range, bought in October 2006 and it has the new top.

A lot of tops totally flew off before anyone noticed a problem. More failed in hot climates. I've seen pictures where the top at the front center could be raised up what looked like an inch - a guy had his finger poked thru there. There were some creaks, water leaks, etc.

What's the VIN number of your 2007? If it's later than mine, I would almost guarantee it has the new top. Iff you have an earlier VIN, there is a way to tell a new top. Pry up a small area of the inside liner on the side/front. If there is a white color under the liner, it's a new one.
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    Thanks for the info, Bolivar.

I purchased my '07 coupe in mid July '07. Mfg. date was in March '07.
    When you mention VIN # later than "low 6000", do you mean the last 4 digits ?
    If so, mine is above 8000.

So, if mine is a later '07 model, does that mean that the "new" tops (like ours) are not included in the recall ???

Thanks again for the response.
    Yea, I would bet you have the new top. You (and I) are most probably not going to get a recall letter.

Recalls are done using the state's auto registration files. This allows them to be as up to date as possible to get to the current owners.
  • cruisinloucruisinlou Member Posts: 27
    A few years ago I really wanted to get a classic car like a 1957 Chev.,1967 Pontiac, GTO, a 1950 Ford with a Chevy 350, etc. the only problem with that desire was it really wouldn't be a daily driver like it was when it was new because most people wouldn't drive a car like that every day because of the possibility of having it damaged or in a lot of cases a car like that will eat a lot more gas than most of the cars on the road today so they are usually relegated to car shows and weekend drives when the weather is good.
    The investment in a car like that can be upwards of 20,000 dollars or more so I began to realize that a older Corvette in the age group of 1995 to 2005 would be a good daily driver and still get decent gas mileage and at a price of $20,000 or less and still be a car that if it is damaged or just gets worn out that parts are usually available.
    This kind of car is still popular at car shows and can be upgraded to some fantastic power levels if a owner wants to do that.
    Now that I have a 2003 Corvette the desire for a classic car is gone because in my lifetime this car will also be a classic.
    I have been very curious to know the typical age of a Corvette buyer either 1st time or having had several previously.
    I myself being a first time buyer am 68 years young and retired for 5 years, my wife is also retired, we own our home and also the cars we drive.
    This may be something of a prerequesit for most Corvette buyers that they have incomes that allow this type of spending.
    I have noticed that there was an interest in the Pontiac G8 and GTO at a time when General Motors was still supplying them,I use the word Supplying because both of these cars come from Australia where they are built under the name Holden.
    One of my wifes relatives bought a 2005 GTO and had a altercation with a concrete statue that did front end damage to his car, he had to wait several weeks for the parts shipped from Australia to fix his car.
    There may still be some of these cars still available today at very good prices but be aware that it could be a hassle getting repairs done on them.
    I wonder if the GTO and G8 are available from the Holden car co. of Australia.
    Here's an INFORMAL POLL taken of C5/C6 owners, and it's about what I expected. Looks like the vast majority are age 50 and up, with a fair chunk over 60.

Yeah I think income has a lot to do with it. Back when, the early Corvettes were much more affordable. A hard working kid could buy one. Now it's a bit pricey (although still a lot of bang for the buck).

While these are fantastic cars, I think they make far too many of them these days for them to ever become classics. The older Vettes, especially given the myriad engine options back then, are far rarer, and more perishable. Aside from the interiors, and collision damage, the C5s and C6s are likely to last forever. There must be hundreds of thousands of them still on the road, so rarity is going to take a very long time indeed.

If I owned one (and I may yet) I'd just drive it until it wore out. It wouldn't pay off to sock one away for 20 years. You'd lose big time. Look at 25 year old C4 prices.
  • v1995ttev1995tte Member Posts: 4
    I'm now 62...Bought my 1st 3 years ago...Have a C4, 1995,had 69K on it 3 years ago, have 72K on it now! Live in the NorthEast so spring seems to come later every year, and summer comes around the middle of July, so not much drive time. I have always wanted one and I love driving the car. I can relate to the folks who bought when older. I used to be the one wishing I had one in my teens, and seeing the old timers driving them and Caddy's. Laid off 6 years ago from Plolaroid, after 35years. now Shlepping for half the dough and bennies. So 4 more years till retirement, if I make it, and unless I get paid like a corrupt pol. I don't see a newer model in my future!!! Not a problem...I love my C4!!
    If you want to drive your 'Vette in winter on some ice and snow then get some winter type tires which are stickier but remember when the weather gets warmer you better take them off or wear them out real quick on warm/hot roads.
    I remember many years ago when if you owned a Corvette you needed a armed guard 24/7 or your precious car would be gone before you knew it.
    Today the security systems on 'Vettes are much better but so are the thieves so my question is what is the best way to keep your 'Vette secure from those who also love 'Vettes but can't afford them?
    I store my 'Vette away for the winter and am in a warmer climate for a few months before getting back home, My son stops by my home once in awhile to check on things but he can't be there all the time but usually there is a lot of snow on the ground during that time so this might make stealing a 'Vette a little harder although flat bed trucks and winches can do wonders for dedicated thieves.
    Can anyone tell me what they do in instances like mine?
    I appreciate your input on Corvette age groups however I think that the earlier Corvettes may have been easier to afford in comparison to the other cars at that time.
    For instance a new 1969 Dodge 2dr HT with a 383 V8 and a 4 speed could be had for about $2995.00 and a 1969 Corvette for about $1000.00 more.
    But just wait until you talk to your insurance agent, this is why a lot of younger people didn't have these kind of muscle cars until the insurance companies deemed you a grownup person of at least 35 or older and a crystal clear driving record and it helped also to be married with 4 kids so you can get the picture.
    Remember when there was a penalty to pay on your insurance if the car had less than 10 lbs per HP (Lighter cars with more HP) or even if you had a car that looked fast.
    I paid a penalty on my insurance for a 1984 Dodge Charger with a 2.2 liter engine because it looked fast.
    Insurance companies rule the world now, so we don't stand a chance. Your best bet, if they'll take you, is to get a "specialty insurer". They play much fairer ball.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    maybe some vette owners would consider to move to a state like NH where car insurance isn't required, in order to avoid the insurance company requirements?

(years ago, CA allowed you to avoid car insurance if you put an $80k bond in escrow instead of having insurance.)
    The newer Corvettes have their headlights built into their fenders instead of the flip up headlights that Corvettes have had for decades, this seems to be the same route that Ferrari and Lamborghinni have followed and now they also have done away for the most part flip up headlights actually there are practically no flip up headlights on any cars anymore.
    A newer Corvette now has the look and even the power of many Ferraris but at a price that is 1/3 that of a Ferrari and best of all the economy of operation.
    What it might give away in prestige to a Ferrari, a Corvette makes up for in spades with maintenance costs. On a Ferrari, you have to figure at LEAST $1.50 a mile to drive one, perhaps $2 a mile as the car ages...and once you hit about 60,000 miles, your Ferrari is nearly worthless in resale value.
    I have always found it amusing that many car magazines have test drives on Ferraris and Lamborghinnis and many other cars that push the $100,000.00 envelope and try to make your mouth water about their performance that is until you see how much they cost and the cost of ownership.
    Sometimes I think that owners of these cars just collect them and put them on display for others to see how wealthy they are.
    Give me a Corvette of any year to take out and drive it as much as I want without being afraid of breaking something and costing me a years salary.
    Well the Ferrari is a very exciting experience that is not duplicatable by any other car, so what you are getting here is an experience that a Corvette owner can't get. And they have beautiful interiors and are very cutting edge/high tech. So you're paying for exclusivity, (they crank out a lot of Corvettes every year) tech status, and some pretty wicked interface with the machine. It's what they call a "narrowly engineered" type of car, purpose-built to do one thing really well--perform.

But you are certainly correct in that most Ferrari buyers don't have the skill or the inclination to push the car to its limits. Which is why they are often seen on TV wrapped around telephone poles. :P

It's like joining an exclusive club, and Ferrari milks that for all it's worth. They are brilliant at marketing.
    I wonder if our GM fathers in their thinking will keep the Corvette going through this decade and beyond or will they in their bean counting decide in their wisdom to discontinue a winner like the 'Vette just like they did for the Pontiac and go to these electric cars that seem to be getting so much notice now.
    You can be sure if this happens it will be Government regulations that might kill the Corvette and threats to GM to discontinue all performance cars.
    The Volt is a good electric/gas sport car but is still a long ways from being a 'Vette
    You are absolutely right about many high performance, high priced sports cars being owned by folks who lose control of them and wreck them.
    Not very long ago a driver of a new Bughatti Vehron which I understand can cost over a million dollars lost control and went into a salt water swamp somewhere in Florida.
    I hope he had good insurance because salt water will total a car.
    I feel I need to put in my 2 cents on what is a better car and my experience with a Mustang.
    I had a 1955 Ford V8 a long time ago and had a lot of problems with oil leaking at the rear seal, I believe it may happen when in hard acceleration the V8 engine which was a 272 cu in. raises up and presses down on the rear seal and after awhile the seal begins leaking.
    I then had a 1989 Mustang GT with the 302 V8 engine with auto trans and guess what? it also developed a rear seal leak.
    My son fixed a 1977 Mercury V8 that also had a rear seal leak, has Ford finally fixed these problems in the newer models of their V8's
    I remember the early Fords had their V8 engines supported by (2) motor mounts on the side of the engine block and (1) motor mount in the front right under the crankshaft pulley and the rear of the engine was supported by a mount under the transmission that the engine was bolted to, I wonder if this type of mounting is the same today in the newer models, this is one of the reasons I shy away from Ford Mustang V8's.
    I don't think, personally, that a Mustang is in the same class as a Corvette. I see these as two different types of cars built for different purposes.

A Corvette is a serious "sports car" in the true sense of the word.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    I think the Mustang is closer to the Camaro in terms of its philosophy and driving dynamics.
    Well you can try to drive a Mustang or Camaro 175 mph...lotsa luck with that. :P
    It's not even the top speed. It's the turns that bring out the differences in handling, methinks :)

I currently have a 2006 C6, and have greatly enjoyed every one of the 26000 miles that I've put on it. Although, I must formally say that I have NEVER exceeded any speed limits! ;)

PS: The top speed of a C6 is about 186 mph.
    Yeah but you could bake a pizza in the time it might take to get to that last 10 mph.

As I'm sure you know, the HP required as the speed goes up, requires exponential calculation, not linear.
    Well, actually, you can bake a pizza on the center console even at 55 mph, it gets so hot anyway! :)

You are absolutely correct about the exponential function of course. I think the threat of jail and vehicle confiscation is a great speed limiter regardless of the top speed potential of any one of these three cars.
    I have a friend who races his C5 in those crazy Nevada road racing affairs. That'd be a legal way to stretch your C6s legs.
    Yep, that's on my personal "bucket list".
    He did blow up two engines already however :(
    His engine is stock and I don't think it's really built for that level of extreme use.
    Yes you are absolutely right, and it seems that as far as an American sports cars all we have now is the Corvette, the Dodge Viper, and the Cadillac XR7, there were quite a few other 2 seater sports cars that were discontinued for a variety of reasons.
    One of my other favorites was the Plymouth Prowler that I believed could have been a great sports car if it had a bigger engine and a smaller price.
    The Pontiac Solstice was another (I had one) but lacked the room for luggage for trips.
    The Dodge Viper has an excessive engine (V10) they should be able to do with 8 cylinders what they are now doing with 10 cylinders after all Corvette has been doing that for years.