Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Corvettes and all things about them

1333435363739»

Comments

• starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    I would encourage you to join the local Corvette club and ask around. There
    are lots of low miles Vettes. Of the two we have in the garage, mine has 119k
    on an '02 and my wife's is at 40k on an '04, which would you want? On the
    other hand at some point I will unload mine, recently told by the local dealer
    that takes consignments it was worth $12k. Factor up 2-3k per year and an
    '05 gets to the upper teens. While they hold up amazingly well, and mine's
    been beat on hard, a show car that only sees weekend duty and longer trips
    with little or no local stop and go is the way to go and you find those at clubs.
    Good luck and enjoy, the last 10 years in a Vette have been lots of fun.
  • c2c35c2c35 Member Posts: 37
    Question for anyone who could help me out. My headlight open control module (ocm) went! unfortunately I don't have time or the 200 bucks to order from GM cause i need to get my 93" inspected asap! Stupid thing just burned out too! I have been told that I cld use the module out of a Firebird/Trans Am. Please let me know if this is true just so I can pass inspection then order a new one. nickle dime time!!! lol!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well the part #s are different and the Camaro/Firebird one costs more, so I dunno about that information.....dubious. Best thing I could suggest, if you are looking at one out of a wrecker, is to match them up side by side and read the part #s. I wouldn't go plugging a "mystery module" into my electrical system.

If you personally know the person suggesting this, and they actually did it on their '93 Corvette, well then okay...otherwise, grab the fire extinguisher if you try it.
    No way! I just got my vette back from some serious mouse damage! It was just sugested to me about the mod's. I'm hoping that i found 1 out of a 92' vette.

Thanks
    92-93 show the same part # in my database.
    edited September 2011
    To anyone out there. I am looking for someone who is or who has a corvette yrs 88' thru 96' that is being parting out. The part I am looking for is the Headlight Open Control Module. the part # is 16523917. If so please contact me.

Chris
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Did you google this number???????

I find a new one for $178.

I find a new one on ebay for $120.

Google is your friend.

If you are looking for used, visit your friendly salvage. He has access to salvage parts all over the US thru a computer system.
    Well I found one online from a company named Vette 2 Vette.com. It's a re-manufactured one with shipping brand new for approx 139.00. Same part # it just doesn't have the GM stamp on it. Shipped out of Illiniois. The new ones on E-bay and every other site were asking like 180 and above and the used part just by looking at the picture eeesshh! They looked really hurting! Still asking 70 plus bucks.

Thanks for the input!!
    Chris
    edited September 2011
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to interview someone who lives in California and who bought a Chevy car (not truck) in the past year. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Monday, October 17, 2011 if you care to share your story. Please include your phone number, the make/model you drove before and the type of Chevy you bought.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    On a 1984 Vet with the 350 engine, does it have a timing chain or belt? What is the change interval?

Thanks in advance.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Definitely a chain, and you never have to change it unless it starts making a racket or unless your ignition timing constantly goes erratic when you try to set it. Your timing chain will never break, but if it wears and goes slack, it can jump time on the cam sprocket. It's not a difficult repair to change a timing chain on a 350. These are very simple engines.
  • bust_itbust_it Member Posts: 26
    My drivers seat is moving a click or two when I take off hard or brake hard and corner hard! I have it set on the same settings on entering or exiting so it hasn't been moved much as I am the only driver!
    Quite a few people in other Corvette forums comment about 'loose' or 'rocking' seats. It's a somewhat common failure. I would expect it will not be cheap to fix, the rail system needs to be replaced.
  • ChasboyChasboy Member Posts: 186
    If you go to corvetteforum.com and search there are a couple of extensive threads on this repair, and it doesn't cost more than $30.
    What can you repair on a seat for $30? That a half hour labor charge, at the very best.
    Thanks! bolivar, I called Chevrolet service and told them that they might have a problem with their drivers seat! They took my info and said that they would look into this and wanted me to take it to a Dealer and have them look at it and gave me a claim number! Said if it was a valid issue they might fix it and address the problem on their Corvette seats!
  • vettexanvettexan Member Posts: 1
    Though we didn't make the finals, we had fun producing a couple of entries, using my oldest Corvette (black '54) and my newest (2012 Centennial ZR1). The spots can be viewed here:

IT TAKES A CHEVY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnCXTz2tVCc

START SOMETHING SPECIAL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRG3BI8EHcQ&feature=related
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    These are great! Not sure if you've seen it, but we also have another forum where these might feel at home:

Car Commercials - The good, the bad, and the annoying!

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles">link title

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is looking to hear from new car buyers who considered buying a convertible within the last year but opted for something else. If you’d like to share your story, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than 4p.m. Pacific /7p.m. Eastern Thursday, March 15, 2012 with your daytime contact information.
  • eaitkeneaitken Member Posts: 6
    i've got a 1999 c-5 corvette coupe that has a blown directional bulb on the right front. how the hell do you get at it? i want to replace the bulb.
    look in ecklers corvette catalog,and others and you will find the part you need to use. it's called a cags disconnect plug. it will eliminate the 1st to 4th skip shift by disconnecting the computer aided gear selection [cags] system. simple plug-in install requires no modifications to your wireing. it costs $19.95 .a easy job to do too. now you can SMOKE EM !!
    so sorry about your friend Mark Kendall passing, he is in hot rod heaven makeing new friends. it is a sad thing to loose a good friend .i know what it's like too.
    I got r done thanks to all of you.......wayne
    I have had many cars,z-28s,GTOs 64,65 and a 66,all kinds of hand built hot rods,ect. and 2 1969 corvettes,one with a 350/350 and a big block 427. My best car of all time is my 1999 c-5 coupe. What a machine !!!!.Just turned 40 k and i've done some power mods and cosmedics. It has a great body style,the interior is wonderfull and very comfortable.And verry fast. It also gets 25.2 mpg in overdrive at 75 mph and about 20 mpg city. This is a car that you can go to the grocery store and then go raceing at the drag strip or tracK......I would buy one and you should too. You will never be disappointed. Wayne
    buy a c-5 corvette coupe from a private source. A dealer will screw you.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you seriously considered buying a new Corvette but chose a different sports car instead, email PR@edmunds.com to talk with a reporter. Please include your daytime contact information and a few words about your decision. Please respond no later than Friday, January 11, 2013.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

"At least four-dozen concept and new production vehicles will debut at Cobo Center during the show, which is open to the public from Jan. 19 to 27.

But the much-anticipated, seventh-generation Corvette is like the Blue Man Group showing up at Sunday school. Everybody wants to see it."

Detroit News

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I want to put the Mild to Wild on my c-6. What all will I have to do? And where to get it?
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    The Corvette Museum sells the M2W switch as do many Corvette Forum sponsors. Its a matter of pulling out the #10(?) fuse and plugging in the M2W wire in the empty slot. Should take 5 minutes.
    I cant put mild to wild on C-6 factory exhaust can I?
    Must have the NPP exhaust. The M2W switch allows you to open or close the baffles on the NPP exhaust. If you don't have the baffles you have nothing to open or close. Make sense?
    "General Motors has produced almost 1.4 million Corvettes over the past 60 years. Most are still around and each Corvette is a small economy unto itself. A Corvette isn't an appliance like a Malibu or a tool like a pickup. It's a car built for people who love cars. Or at least for people who love the Corvette.

And because they love it they'll pamper that Corvette with exotic waxes, fancy embroidered floor mats, a tough-sounding exhaust system and shiny custom wheels. And, when it's finally all worn out, they'll restore it back to new and start the process all over again. It's a never-ending life cycle supported by companies, shops and dealerships that make, modify, restore and recycle virtually every part of these iconic machines."

The Companies, People and Money Behind Chevy's Sports Car

• saramaddiesaramaddie Member Posts: 19
    I am thinking of buying a new Corvette or perhaps waiting until the new model comes out. I need to be able to fit 2 sets of golf clubs/bags in it. Is it possible and is there room for anything else?
    I just saw some stats. It has 22 cu feet of storage space. You will be astonished at the amount of stuff you can pack.

Of course I'm talking about the coupe. A convertible will have much less.
    2 golf bags will fit along with a fair amount of luggage. Why not take the 2 golf bags with you to a dealer and see for yourself?
    Now remember we are talking about the coupe. In a vert you are limited.