Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Corvettes and all things about them

Comments

• cptmcfcptmcf Member Posts: 7
    Thanks...I just contacted him!!! 5K off seems like a very good deal with 0% interest....I guess thats what they have to do with the C6 just around the corner and the economy sluggish?
  • coolsly2coolsly2 Member Posts: 25
    Any idea what could be my problem with the backfiring because I guess the dealer would say "It's normal"? I don't know much in cars.

Sylvain
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    Backfiring in a new Z06 is not normal. If you can easily reproduce the problem, then take it to your dealer and show them. They will not call it normal.

Now, you are not talking about a popping sound coming from the exhaust on deceleration, right? Because without an X-pipe on a performance exhaust, this will happen, but its definitely not a backfire.
  • rumc3rumc3 Member Posts: 31
    As a potential Vette buyer, looking for feedback comparing Z51 to the new F55 suspension. Is the F55 worth it? Does the Z51 ride hard? The suspension and the 6-speed are the only options I'm considering.
    One other thing: I posted message #12 way back in March, and got a reply about "roll bars." I didn't mean the kind you see in a race car. Maybe I should have said "roll hoops." The ones you see behind the seats of a Boxster, new Viper, and on the most expensive cars (911 cabriolet) they pop up in a crash. Aren't these for protection? So does this mean there's no rollover protection in a Corvette convertible? And IS there such protection in the Coupe? I'm considering both models. I'd prefer the ZO6, but do not like the looks of the roofline..also, you can't get any sun on your head which is one of the reasons for having a sports car, isn't it?
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826

"As a potential Vette buyer, looking for feedback comparing Z51 to the new F55 suspension. Is the F55 worth it? Does the Z51 ride hard? The suspension and the 6-speed are the only options I'm considering"

In regards to your 2 concerns, I have only lived with the Z06, and or the Z51 suspension and the six speed(41k miles). So in that sense both were standard for the Z06. If given a choice, I would go with the Z51 suspension and the 6 speed. If it was for my wife or I had to share it with her, the Z51 and the automatic. My wife and I just recently completed a 2000 mile round trip to Las Vegas, Death Valley and the Grand Canyon. We went from app 6000 foot elevations to -282 feet below sea level. She and I both loved the Z51 for the ride quality and the taut lean feeling that it has. While I would probably grant you that the FE3 suspension can be tuned far softer than the Z51, for us, the Z51 seemed to handle a very wide range of conditions. I would also probably say that we both probably have different reasons for liking the Z51 suspension. The other thing is that come shock absorber replacement time, the Z51 shocks will probably not shock your wallet as much as the FE3's.
  • vettes2vettes2 Member Posts: 17
    You can read an awesome review of the Magnetic Select ride susp. here:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14619

I agree with ruking1. The Z51 suspension is the way to go, unless you like throwing all that extra money for the F55. Sure its got more to offer, but I still like the Z51 for BOTH the performance characteristics it provides on the track, as well as the acceptable drive it allows you on a laid back freeway cruise.

Regarding your roll bar question: those roll hoop thingy's you are referring to are just for show (not a very good show on a Corvette IMO). You would still not be allowed to run any high speed autocrosses or anything like that in your 'vert with that type of contraption on it. It would have to be standard tubular roll cage equipment.

I tend to agree with you though, that the regular top on a coupe does not seem to provide for that much better protection to warrant it being ok to enter high speed autocrosses with (without a roll cage), but hey, I'm not going to complain about that one!
    Thanks Ruking and thanks Vettes2: that was a great article on the F55. I'm envious of you guys living out West where the roads aren't anywhere near as crappy as here on the East Coast. That's my concern about the Z51..I've read a lot of reviews that say it's firm but still a good ride. However, I always take that with a grain of salt because maybe they're not dealing with the bumpy roads I've gotta deal with.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,389
    I just happened to see parked one behind the other, a C4 coupe and a C5. Both were bright red with a black targa section. I was surprised at how much bigger (fatter) the newer model looked.

It appeared to be bigger in every dimension: longer, wider and just a hair taller. The C5 also appeared to have more rake (the tail was taller, the nose lower.

Before you all start firing posts let me say I'm sure the actual measured differences are minimal.
    The point of my post is that it APPEARED larger.
    I wish the GM stylists would address this issue w the forthcoming C6.

A two-seater sports car, even a big heavy one should not have a "fat-[non-permissible content removed]" look. In 1963 GM managed to make the new Sting-ray seem a little smaller than the car it replaced but ever since the '68 restyle it's been going the other way.

Based on what I've seen in R&T, the upcoming design lacks excitement. It looks vaguely like the new Z but less exciting.

Your opinions may differ.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

I've heard from others about the "fat [non-permissible content removed]" criticism, and I guess they have a point. But in person, the C5 looks just fine to me.

By the way, I keep seeing the term "ricer" being used. Does this mean a clapped-out, lowered Honda or Toyota or some such vehicle? One may have gone by me today: Its exhaust note sounded like a big, long fart. Is that a "ricer?"
  • starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    Been riding on the Z51 for a year and when taking longer rides with my wife she doesn't find the ride harsh. She is used to a Volvo V90, so not into sports ride. But she drove the Vette daily on our trip to bring it home and has since driven it a number of times and the ride is never mentioned, beyond the one comment she made on the trip home on the 3rd day to compliment the ride for long trips.

As for the wider and longer stance than the C4 I think those are factors that help the ride as a touring car, which it does very well, in addition to being great fun.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    "ricer" is a verboten word in Town Hall. If you see someone using it, give me a heads up at to the topic and post # and I will deal with it.

thanks

RE: BACKFIRE -- there is "backfire", which is combustion leaking up through your air filter, and "afterfire", which is the gunshot sound out your exhaust. Backfire is usually caused by an overly lean mixture (very volatile) pre-combusting while your intake valve is still open, and Afterfire is usually caused by an overly rich mixture seeking combustion in the exhaust system.

In any event, it isn't "normal" and you need to have your Vette's fuel delivery system checked out.

Shifty the Host
    https://www.mastercard-surveys.com/surveys/cvm/vette/VetteVoteForm.htm

Which of the 50 years is your favorite?

You can also get to it from Motor Trend as well or the Corvette50thstore.com

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,389
    I like the duck-tail cars the best especially Stingray convertibles '63-'65. I'll take mine in dark green or blue with a 327-FI.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• coolsly2coolsly2 Member Posts: 25
    I went to my dealer yesterday and they said after hearing the sound that it's because: here in Canada we have different emission regulation and the popping sound I have since I have the car is supposely "Normal"... As I said previously, my 2002 Z06 is making a "popping" from the exaust when shifting at whatever RPM. (well, 1500-2000rpm and over). It happens for about 5 minutes everytime I have left the car in a parking lot or in my garage for a long period of time (about 2-3 hours or more).

They said it's because until the engine is hot, the catalyser (not sure if it's the good word in english) cannot eliminate properly the emissions so there is a air pump sending air simultaneously wich causes those popping sounds. For testing purposes, the dealer have removed the "AIR PUMP" fuse wich is number "50" in my case in the fuse box and this morning, instead of having the popping sound at every shift, I had it only once.

Does it sounds any bell to anybody and does it make sense? I know almost about nothing about those things.

Thank you,

Winter is coming and the vette will sit in the garage for 5 months but hey, it's the price to pay to live here in Montreal, Canada :(

Sylvain
    http://www.latimes.com/classified/automotive/

highway1/la-hy-corvette9oct09001432,0,1759171.story?coll=la%2Dclass%2Dautos%2Dhighway1

To copy and paste the link, use the whole 4 lines and then delete the space after the / before highway1. Without the space it won't let me post the link over 150 char's long. Good luck finding the artcle.

Vette Vogue

--------------------

Since the Corvette debuted five decades ago, GM has sold 1.2million of them, ranging from gutless wonders to racing machines disguised as street-legal cars

By SCOTT DOGGETT

SPECIAL TO THE TIMES

October 9 2002

We could thank Mr. and Mrs. Brooks for the Chevrolet Corvette.

The complete article can be viewed at:

http://www.latimes.com/la-hy-corvette9oct09001432,0,7773202.story

Visit Latimes.com at http://www.latimes.com

Also, if you want to see a nice 63 Split Window picture try the
    photo gallery link to the right of the story.

• mpazosmpazos Member Posts: 42
    My local dealer (high volume corvettes) says '03 corvettes are selling at MSRP, period. Is it possible to order a '03 (non-50th Anniversary, non-Z06) and pay less than MSRP?
    Thanks,
    Mick
    Yes.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    ...offering 0,0,0 on all vehicles, including Vettes, and in lue of this you can get a rebate? I don't know what the rebate is, check here on Edmunds for it.

I wouldn't say they are selling for MSRP, based on this.
    There are several Corvette sites on the web with dealer relationships. I got an 02 Coupe for 2k off when Nor. Calif. dealers were asking $3.5k to 7.5k over MSRP. But it was out of state and I paid to travel, but had a nice vacation, 4 day drive back and had it broken in nicely with 1350 miles at the end of that trip. You can also get car delivered to local dealer if they agree, usually a non Corvette dealer willing to do it for $100 to $250 for doc fees locally. It also depends on what you want, off the floor or special ordered with just your setup. I ordered to get color and 6sp with Z51 and I wanted HUD so I got 1SC package. Glad I got everything I wanted, saw the same color coupe this past weekend with 10k miles, an auto, for sale, must not have been as fun as mine is.

I encourage you to look around on the web and I'm betting you could get $2k to $5k if it is worth the time. My dealer was in Montana. Seems lots of the dealers are down south or midwest and east. Great experience.
    Motor Trend Buyers guide in the market has a Vette/Viper article that I skimmed and was pretty good.
    Check at the corvette action center. they work with Rick Daniel from Maxie Price Chevrolet and several people there have been happy with him:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=168

• mpazosmpazos Member Posts: 42
    Thanks to all who posted. Cross off one local dealer as a place to buy. I'm going to email Rick Daniel for more info. As he's in GA and I'm in NC, that would be a nice break-in drive home!!
  • mrsschrodermrsschroder Member Posts: 10
    I have had an '02 Z06 for about 6 months. It has about 900 miles on it now. I would like to do whatever it takes (within reason) to keep it as pristine and new as possible for as long as possible.
    So, I need to know 2 things:
    1) when should I change the oil? I've read that it should be changed at least once a year (assuming low miles), but is that enough?
    2) does anyone have any experience with ultra synthetics like AMSOil? my husband just switched to it in his truck. He was impressed by their literature but I would be curious to hear if there are any negatives out there (other than the price).

thanks!
    Before suggesting about the oil change, one question. How have you limited youself to 900 miles in 6 months with such a nice ride? Admittedly, I bought my coupe as a daily driver and it had 13000 at it's one year anniversary but even for just weekends and get togethers I could see a several thousand miles a year. I think actual commute mileage is just under 4k miles a year.
    Anyway, from what I've read other places, most who do less than 3k miles a year, do the oil change before going into winter storage, usually. The other comment is to possibly also change it after a few hundred miles out of storage as well. Seems there are lots who have summer only rides. As to switching from Mobil 1 which was recommended, I have no experience.

It seems that cars that are stored and not driven a lot have a series of different problems than say Starrow68 or I would experience.

In terms of oil changes I would look carefully at what the DIC says. For example, my mileage has my oil changes at app 14-15k., basically I have a lot of longer distance, higher speed miles. In fact, I change the oil at between 12-14k miles. So if your 900 miles every 6 months is the higher speed longer distance type, I would as a minimum change, it once a year or 1800 miles. If you have lower speed short distance driving twice a year oil changes will suffice.

In regards to Amsoil and Redline, for as much as you drive and the cost of the above products per qt. it is overkill. They are very good products however!
    It has been hard as hell not driving it much! That car is so sweet. There are several reasons why I don't drive it much:
    1) I had to make some rash promises in order to get my husband to "go along" with buying the car. Such as, I won't put more than 1000 miles on it in a year until it is paid off. As you can see, I'm already over my allowance. He wanted to make sure that if financial ruin fell upon us and we had to sell it, that it would be virgin and pristine and easily sellable. Also, one of my arguments for buying the car was the "collector" angle.
    2) I have 3 children, 2 of them small (and the third one is 16- you can imagine how he burns to drive that car). The 2-seater 'vette is not exactly your family automobile- or much of a grocery-hauler either. I guess I could hook up a trailer to it and stuff the kids in there!! haha! Anyway, there will be no car seats in the 'vette unless it is a dire emergency. So I usually can be found trundling the kids around in my 92 mazda mpv. (oh, the shame of it!). About the only time I get to drive it is when the kids are in school/preschool, or on the weekends. So there you have it. I guess it is a fair weather car for me too (that was another demand: that I don't drive it in bad weather). So many demands!

But just going out to the garage and sitting in it helps me through the hard times! And driving it can pull me out of the deepest funk.

What's DIC? Is that the computer that advises about the remaining oil life? I would guess that the miles on it are about 50/50 just driving around town, and the remainder are highway miles. But not very high speed miles, because I feel like a cop beacon.

So anyway it sounds like I might be the twice a year oil change category.
    As for the amsoil or redline: anyone else think it is overkill? Their wear-scar data looks impressive. And if I could do something to prevent or postpone the varnish and gasket-hardening that I've seen on some of the other cars we've had, it would be worth a couple hundred bucks a year.

What are the different problems of cars that are stored and not driven a lot? I drive it at least once a week, but usually not very far.

thanks for your input.

You can read about the DIC in your owners manual. The part that I was referring is about the oil life %. While you already have a feeling for the kind of miles that you do, this will serve as feedback. Before you posted I was purely guessing that you didn't drive it but once a week and not very far. So if you were to categorize your miles, it would probably put it into the severe category. But a half to an hr drive per week at freeway speeds (app 30 miles-60 miles will tend to get the systems up to optimum operating temperatures and actually decrease your need for twice a year oil changes to once. If you keep the same schedules as you have been I would change it twice a year.

Some things need more attention for stored vehicles: Battery tends to discharge deeper Seals tend to wear a shade faster. The AC system should be run to keep the system integrity. Check for moisture or mould. Tires can get flat spots, if the car sits too long. Oil of course we have discussed. The gas tank if not full tends to develop more moisture.

I hope others who tend to store vehicles will chime in, because the truth is I try to use ALL my vehicles for some of the same reasons I have stated.
    Thanks for the info. You've also given me some ammunition in my campaign to drive it more!
    If you don't mind me saying so, there are seemingly a lot of Corvette owners who put little to very little miles on their machines. While I understand it, unless you are of the collector ilk, I think that the car was made to be driven.

The latest C-5 models have very low maintenance requirements. As I said before, I change oil at app 13-15k, oil filters are very inexpensive, the spark plugs are rated to 100k, the antifreeze has a rating of 5 yrs or 150k, the air filter needs changing at 30k. All of course can be changed at more frequent intervals, and many do. Happy driving to you!!
    You are absolutely right, that car does BEG to be driven. It is calling me right now, I hear it from the garage.
    It is the resale value that is at issue. If I was looking for a used vette, I would want one with the absolutely lowest, kindest miles possible. But since I've already come to the conlusion that I'd sooner cash in my 401k than sell the car (if it came to that), I should just drive the hell out of it and have some fun!

Are you serious about the 13-15K? I meant to ask about that earlier. That's a lot of miles between oil changes!

Oh yes quite serious! Mobil One, especially the new synthetic SL product is quite good. I have been using Mobil One 5w-30 for many miles (over 550k) in various Toyota Landcruisers, again with a 15k oil change interval. All of them have their valve covers removed and checked each 60k miles for valve clearances (payoff for the dealer is a 200-300 dollar valve adjust job) and using Mobil One I have yet to have one done! I do talk to the mechanics and the assistant manager and all marvel at how clean and within manufacturers tolerances the internal parts are.

Getting back to the Corvette topic, I do app 21k a year so on a 2001 Corvette. The thing has only had a very common leaking rear differential starting at 23k. So be on the look out for a clearish almost slightly yellowish synthetic 75W-90 gear differential oil emanating from slightly left of center app 23 inches IN from the edge of the center of the rear end (6 speed manual).
    Couldn't agree more that many change oil too often, and I among them, but not the worst, so to speak that I know.
    As to my Coupe, I did 3k oil changes for first year with then the scheduled 10k service, which is just another oil change mostly. I will now go up to 4k to 5k between changes as most of my mileage is at least 6 miles freeway speed in addition to local street warmup time, and oil just gets to operating temp in that distance. As to benefits of changing oil often, had a similar experience with an MG where the pan got pulled after 12 years and the shop was amazed how clean it was.

As to low mileage, good for resale but with the C5 and Z06 the 0% has killed the resale big time, there was an article in Contra Costa Times about how much it's down. If I find again I'll post later.

"And if I could do something to prevent or postpone the varnish and gasket-hardening that I've seen on some of the other cars we've had, it would be worth a couple hundred bucks a year."

By virtue of the fact that you use synthetic oils, (ie., Mobil One) the varnish and gasket hardening is virtually eliminated.

You might want to see the Mobil One web site: http://www.prod.mobil1.com/index.jsp, for a more technical description.

Redline and Amsoil have similar ratings and websites.

I use Mobil One for a number of reasons: 1.It is widely available 2. The price is cheaper than either Redline or Amsoil 3. Mobil One periodically goes on sale 4. It is recommended 5. I have a history with the product. 6. In the interest of bias disclosure: I also own the stock. :) I bought the stock actually WAY after using the product for a very long time. So you can see me as a real dummy or a real dummy! :)

• sierra64sierra64 Member Posts: 1
    Would it be a good idea to put Mobil-1 synthetic gear oil in differental on my 2002 Vette?Thanks
  • biggs2biggs2 Member Posts: 16
    looking (dreaming) about a C4 convertable for weekend/fun time use only. i love the look of these cars and they are beginning to come into my price range. would like some advice from the many corvette owners out there on this topic. any years to avoid? any year(s) to specifically target? what should i be looking for (beyond low miles, no leaks etc.)? is the manual tranny more reliable than the auto? how long will the tops usually last? did all year models have a hard top available? are these cars rattle traps? any paint problems? best place(s) to buy? all models will have plenty of power/speed for my tastes so i am not to worried about performance. any other pointers/advice will be appreciated.

thanks
    adb
    http://www.vetteweb.com/ Good magazine with background and an annual price guide which will provide some indication of the popularity of various years, 84 to 95.

Also remember that this is old and used model pricing has been dropping as the 0% financing has been extended to new years.

http://www.vetteweb.com/features/0205vet_prices/index.html

Then for more discussion here is a link to another board with people's inputs on the C4 vs. the C5.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=413251

good luck in your search, love the C5 here. It helped that the kid got out of college in 4 years.

Hey MrsSchroder, do yourself a favor and go to KBB.COM (Kelly Blue Book) and even here at Edmunds, and take a look at what a 1 year old, 2 year old, etc. Corvette is worth for resale (hint - "like a rock" - as in dropping value regardless of mileage). Show that to your hubby and explain to him that a Corvette (especially Z06) is meant to be driven. That is what life is about, isn't it?

The difference between a year old Vette with 1000 miles and one with 12,000 miles is not enough to warrant the torture you are going thru.

Just drive it like you stole it!
    there is the middle ground. I noticed the corvetteforum.com C5 for sale/buy forum and there was a Z06 with 1700 miles with a guy that had a knee go out, couldn't drive it now. He was asking for just below what paid but hadn't sold it yet. With whatever confirmation that he can provide that it wasn't driven hard he will probably get a few more dollars than some of the others available, but not likely a lot. Especially since there are lots available and as noted the market is flooded right now so prices are dropping like a rock for those needing to sell and leaving the rest as overhang that will keep a lid on prices until it all works itself off. This should also be impacting C4's I would think.
  • alpine325ialpine325i Member Posts: 209
    I agree with Joelis, but to each his own. I bought my 02' Coupe in july to use as a daily driver, this is my second Vette and I have 3000 miles on it so far. I will be installing a Lingenfelter supercharger and various other mods to unleash the potential of the LS1. I'm a HP freak so I don't care about resale value too much.
    ruking: I looked at the AMSOil, Red Line, and Mobil1. The AMSOil literature compared itself to the Mobil1Tri-synthetic, which I notice does not seem to be their top of the line synthetic any more. I would have to agree, Mobil1 seems like a logical and reasonable choice. thanks for your input.
    On Resale: by Joelis: "The difference between a year old Vette with 1000 miles and one with 12,000 miles is not enough to warrant the torture you are going thru."
    Joelis: You're right, It IS torture. And you're right again, the resale difference between 1000 vs 12000 miles in a year old vette is probably negligible. I read your post to hubby, and when he was done sticking out his tongue at me, he replied that he was thinking of 25 years from now, the difference between an 02 Z06 with, say, 10,000 miles on it vs. one that had over 100K miles that was well and throroughly used. So I guess his angle is the true collector angle.

He mentioned the '67 427: if you could find one with breathtakingly low miles, in immaculate, pristine condition, wouldn't that be worth a lot more than one that was flogged and then put out to pasture? Same thing here. There were only 1065 MYellow Z06's made in 2002. He wants mine to be the finest one around in 25 years. But hell, I want to spend the next 25 years enjoying it!

Clearly, I need 2 of these cars, 1 to collect, and the other to drive! haha. And just as soon as I win the lottery, that's the first thing I'll do: go buy an 03 (and an extra garage while I''m at it)!

I went to KBB.com. They don't have resale info yet on the 2002 Z06's! neither does edmunds. I looked at the 01's; the figure kbb came up with was about $43000. I don't know what the 01's listed for, but they are NOT the same car as the 02. Nonetheless, you have a good point, I am pretty sure the resale on the 02 will still be pretty devastating with the current 0% financing available. Oh well.

stArrow68: I went to the site you mentioned, read some verbage about their price guide, but where are the numbers? maybe I have to be a subscriber or something? (http://www.vetteweb.com/features/0205vet_prices/index.html)

All in all, the consensus seems to be: DRIVE IT!!
    I used that link to get to the price data several months ago and didn't check it again when I posted. Here is the result from a search for Price Guide on the VetteWeb site:

VETTE's 2002 Guide To Corvette Prices--Vette Magazine

Corvette Prices in the May '02 issue of Vette Magazine

The link is to just the summary introduction article and the link to the data no longer is there. I have the print edition of the May '02 so that is where I have been looking since. If any particular data is of interest I'm willing to look it up. Lists the 2001 Z06 from 38.5k to 42.5k for a good to excellent car. Recent models have fewer options and so only 1 to 3 lines per model. Older cars from late 70's and back can have up to 13 or 14 different versions of engine, transmission, carbs and rearend packages. For example the 69 Coupe from 300 to 430hp, and the 58 Vert from 230 to 290hp. Makes for interesting file info if you want a record of what older models are doing in case the market tanks some year and find yourself in position to get the one you always dreamed of. They do offer back issues if anyone is interested. Sorry for not checking.
    ...you showed me another great corvette site that I didn't know about before.
    I may have to get that back issue. I want to talk my son into selling his old supra for some nice american muscle.
    Oh. Now I understand your hubby's motive. To torture you for the next 25 years. (j/k) well, maybe not.

You do realize that there is still significant costs involved in keeping that car in "pristine" condition for 25 years. Especially these days, where there are so many different components (mostly electronic and pricy) to fail on a car like this. Also, I don't know if driving it only a couple hundred miles per year will be enough to keep things in working order throughout its lifetime (seals, valves, any type of deteriorating component).

I wish I had a plan for what I would be doing 25 years from now - other than pushing up daisies.

Good Luck!
  • gearhead7gearhead7 Member Posts: 15
    I would not expect the Z06 to approach the value of a 67 427 corvette, given the same age of each car (35 years old) I think that there is pretty conclusive evidence that the paint color of a corvette is basically considered to be irrelevant when relating to the value. The 67 427 is probably currently considered to be the most valuable corvette ever with the exception of the extremely rare large tank cars or L88's. These are all valuable becuase there are so few in existence. There are probably no more than 3,000 in existence, although there are many fakes.

The Z06 is about 30% of annual production, so figure 12-14,000 made each year. The 02 is not particularly special compared to the 03, or the coming 04, regardless of paint. There will be 30-40,000 units produced of this model, with the 405 hp engine. This will KILL long term investment value more than any other factor. I would enjoy it, maintain it, and forget about the negligible investment value. Low mileage corvettes are actually pretty common. Really high mileage ones are pretty rare though.

Any thoughts Mr. Shiftright, resident investment/collectible car expert?
    Actually, I think you're looking at more like 5,000-10,000 at about 16 to 20% of production for Z06s.

Look here for exact production numbers:

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/z06/index.html

If it's Canadian, you're even more rare! ;-)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think there will be too many Z06s made for them to become collectible in the near or far future. Eventually, many decades from now, when the attrition rate makes them scarcer, you may see them go up in value. But modern Corvette values have been rather moribund since 1975 models or so, except for the Challenge Racers. Even the ZR1s, which you can get good money for, act like used cars, meaning the older they are, the cheaper they are, which is the exact opposite of what a collector car does.

Given the long range prospects, I certainly wouldn't hold onto a Z06 for "profit", nor would I keep the miles low. I'd drive it to death. This way, you'll have all the fun, and all those folks "hoarding" their Z06s will be left holding the bag in 25 years.