Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hydrocracked motor oil

karlkarl Member Posts: 34
edited March 2014 in Jeep
I created this as a separate discussion from the Synthetic motor oil discussion, because hydrocracked oil is (arguably) a totally different product. That's what I want to find out: how does hydrocracked oil compare with synthetics such as Mobil 1, with respect to improvements over regulard "dino" oil.

What started this ? It's because Costco carries Chevron Delo 400 motor oil, in a 15W-40 weight, which is a hydrocracked oil. They sell it in a box of 6 1-gallon containers, for about $33. My Jeep XJ Cherokee uses 6 quarts of oil at each change, which would equate to about $8.25 per oil change. This is much cheaper than a Mobil 1 oil change, which comes to about $23 each time (oil alone).

The Cherokee has about 75K miles on it, and is starting to use a little oil between changes. It calls for 10W-30 spec oil, but a synthetic-type 15W-40 would work nicely too.

In the synthetic motor oil discussion, there has been some debate about "true" synthetic, particularly Mobil 1 ("true") vs. Castrol Syntec (hydrocracked). I've searched the web, and can't find anything telling me the real differences -- only the manufacturers' sales blurbs, which always sing the praises of their own products.

-Karl

Comments

• brorjacebrorjace Member Posts: 588
    Karl, I'm not sure this needed a separate thread but I'll give you my thoughts on it just the same.

I think the hydrocracked oils fall somewhere in between the 'regular' or 'traditional' mineral ("dino") oils and synthetic stocks. And, among synthetics these modified mineral oils are closer to PAOs than esters.

And, of course this is how they are classified:

Group I - normally processed mineral oil.
    Group II, II+ & III - hydroprocessed mineral oils. I think the difference between these three is the degree of processing. Chevron might have details on their site.
    Group IV - PAO - polyalphaolefin made from ethylene gas.
    Group V - Esters made from the combination of alcohols and acids.

I made that list off the top of my head, all you tribologists out there feel free to correct or refine that list. >;^)

Beware, though. All the SL oils seemingly have some hydrocracked oil in them ... but how much is anybody's guess. Some MSDS sheets might have these details while others won't. I'd expect the amount of Group II oils in a given quart of SL oil to be about 25% to 33% ... with almost none above 50%.

I'd expect a 15W40 oil formulated with some hydrocracked oils to pump at about 5 degrees colder than it ordinarily would. I think that oil might be a great choice for your Jeep in the summer. It is the same stuff I run in most of our small-engine equipment. All oils intended primarily for diesel engines will have an extraordinarily strong additive package and a TBN of around 10.

Oh, and they make Delo 400 in a 10W30 ... but I've never seen it in any store in the Northeast.

--- Bror Jace
  • adc100adc100 Member Posts: 1,521
    Could possibly have a problem with the Delo???
  • karlkarl Member Posts: 34
    Why would engine oil affect the catalytic converter ? Unless the engine is burning oil --running oil out through the exhaust...

Bror, do you know if the Diesel-specific additive package could have any harmful effect on a gas motor ? Chevron's website says the Delo 400 is for use in car Diesels, truck Diesels, or any gas motor... so is it just extra protection that's unnecessary for gas motors ?

-Karl
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    discussion is under way about ZDDP and converters.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    just about everything made from petroleum base is "cracked" or "hydrocracked" except for asphalt and residual fuel oils (like bunker #5). the reason is that the percentage of natural heptane, cetane, etc. is virtually nil, and to get the maximum economic value from a barrel of oil, that 42 gallons (yes, oil barrels are a funny number) is heated, catalyzed, zapped, whacked, fumed, and mucked about in all sorts of wonderful ways inside the cracking towers and distillate towers of refineries... to the point that some refineries can get 60-80 percent gasoline per barrel depending on what grade of crude oil was going in at the time.

I strongly suspect that "hydrocracked oil" is about the same as "ultrarefined stock" or "superpure base", depending on the company and the PR agent massaging the labels on the side of the carton. there is no magic well that spouts Pennzoil without the Z-7, it has to be made.
  • fowvayfowvay Member Posts: 29
    According to the Chevron web page, the Delo 400 single viscosity grades and the 15w-40 oils are group III base stocks (>75%). The Delo 0w-30 and Delo 5w-40 oils are group IV base stock (>60%).

The 15w-40 base stock is listed as "severely refined petroleum distillate" and the 0w-30 and 5w-40 are listed as synthetic base stock consisting of 1-decene, trimer, homopolymer, hydrogenated hydrocarbon base oil.

According to the CAS number interpretation the 15w-40 is not a synthetic oil but the 5w-40 is.
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    Has anyone in this thread come across a company or industry definition for "hydrocracked" as a term for setting aside or defining the newest oils, such as those in the SL designation?
    this is a general industry term for cracking longer hydrocarbon chains by heat in a reformer tower in the presence of extra hydrogen atoms and catalysts, and is the basis of commercial petroleum refining today. this makes heavy oils into lighter products of high value and usage, and I would suspect that any guidebook in petrochemical engineering would be able to give a cogent definition (that would however be totally unreadable by almost all of us.)

my first thought, from seeing the massive reference tomes carried by organic chem students over the years, was to try a search for the chemical rubber company. www.crcindustries.com does not seem to be in the petrochemical business, however. www.ethyl.com's acronym/definition search blows up when fed "hydrocracked" with an Oracle base error message.

anybody "inside" have something better? I'm interested, now, too.
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    Delo 15w40 meets or exceeds CAT, Detroit, Cummins and Volvo's specifications. CAT has one of the tightest specs among the manufacturers.
    Delo 400 does no harm to the catalytic converter. Anyone who says that had a problem other than the oil.
    multiple mentions of the Chevron web site, guess what comes up as item #1 on a search of "hydrocracked" there? -- a full refinery flow diagram and primer.

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuels/bulletin/diesel/l2%5F4%5F2%5Frf.htm

for your detailed inspection. I like outfits that

tell you what they are doing, not "because I said so."

chevron also wants to tell you that they have greatly improved hydrocracking at

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/tema/clg%5F1a.shtm

and I think we have at least one place now to kill

a couple hours looking for the ultimate definition ;)

How about Mobil Delvac? Can it be used in other than diesel engines? Any comments about the oil?

Thanks,
    Al
    adc100, When you are asking about Delo 400 damaging the cat, are you thinking of elevated zinc & phosphorous levels?

The MSDS sheet should say what it is and I'm guessing 2-3% ZDDP. That shouldn't be much of a problem until the vehicle is several years old.

Maybe I'll check on that later today ...

The detergent & dispersant package in those oils is awfully strong and will clean up a dirty engine quite quickly ... perhaps too quickly if the chunks of crud are substantial. It might plug up small oil passages as well as the filter. >:^O

--- Bror Jace
    May I conclude that we all generally agree: that the term hydrocrack refers to the age old process of "cracking" molecules in "the tower," and that current implications that hydrocracking is a special new thing leading directly to "synthetic" product is a dubious claim?
    My only exposure to chemistry was way back in high school, so I have no idea whether hydrocrack / hydrocracked oils are anything new or different.

I just wanted to know if this Delo 400 oil is a cheap route to getting synthetic (or almost synthetic) grade motor oil, for use in a gas engine...

e.g. Castrol: "Hydrocracked = synthetic = Syntec"
    but Mobil: "no - Mobil 1 is synthetic, hydrocracked and Syntec are not"

-Karl
  • zr2randozr2rando Member Posts: 391
    and search the web on hydrocracking, hydroprocessing, reforming etc, its pretty interesting. I got out some of my old Chemical Engineering books back from school years ago and looked at some old articles (one book published in 1976 referenced it as an old tried and true technology)..Hydro-processing is an old procedure, believe me, Castrol is not a pioneer in petroleum processing,,,,they are fairly good at marketing though.
    When crude oil comes up out of the ground it contains all sorts of heavy and light componants, the very heavy and the very light are both very low value compared to the middle weight componants. The heavy weight fractions are very cheap and can be processed (cracked) into lighter weight componants by using steam/catalysts/pressure to generate more valuable and more usefull compounds..straight chain molecules can be re-arranged into cyclic...Take a look at some distillation columns in the refineries, they have pipes in and out all up and down those columns, heaters at the bottom and condensers at the top...very cool!!!
    Cracking (catalytic and hydro) has been a highly used process to obtain lube oils from cheaper heavy hydrocarbons for a LONG time, I think that some companies are just taking advantage of tech terms and using definitions to their advantage, when other companies have been using the same processes and considering them typical processing..
    Delo 400 sounds like it has seen some pretty radical processing according to what I read on the Chevron page,,,from what I've seen it seems to be a very good oil, nothing wrong with using it in gas or diesel engines,,,,just depends on if you want that particular viscosity in your particular application...My opinion is that if a motor has 50k+ miles on it and does not have to crank up in <0 deg F, it would work just fine...
    I am not a thin oil fan at all, in case you have not read any of my other posts!! To me it sounds like a VERY good way to get some VERY good oil...
    Just make sure you want that visc rating and your good to go...
    see ya
    Rando
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Member Posts: 1,118
    or Quaker State or Castrol High Mileage Oils as well? These are listed as being hydrocracked.
    and search the web on hydrocracking, hydroprocessing, reforming etc, its pretty interesting. I got out some of my old Chemical Engineering books back from school years ago and looked at some old articles (one book published in 1976 referenced it as an old tried and true technology)..Hydro-processing is an old procedure, believe me, Castrol is not a pioneer in petroleum processing,,,,they are fairly good at marketing though.
    When crude oil comes up out of the ground it contains all sorts of heavy and light componants, the very heavy and the very light are both very low value compared to the middle weight componants. The heavy weight fractions are very cheap and can be processed (cracked) into lighter weight componants by using steam/catalysts/pressure to generate more valuable and more usefull compounds..straight chain molecules can be re-arranged into cyclic...Take a look at some distillation columns in the refineries, they have pipes in and out all up and down those columns, heaters at the bottom and condensers at the top...very cool!!!
    Cracking (catalytic and hydro) has been a highly used process to obtain lube oils from cheaper heavy hydrocarbons for a LONG time, I think that some companies are just taking advantage of tech terms and using definitions to their advantage, when other companies have been using the same processes and considering them typical processing..
    Delo 400 sounds like it has seen some pretty radical processing according to what I read on the Chevron page,,,from what I've seen it seems to be a very good oil, nothing wrong with using it in gas or diesel engines,,,,just depends on if you want that particular viscosity in your particular application...My opinion is that if a motor has 50k+ miles on it and does not have to crank up in <0 deg F, it would work just fine...
    I am not a thin oil fan at all, in case you have not read any of my other posts!! To me it sounds like a VERY good way to get some VERY good oil...
    Just make sure you want that visc rating and your good to go...
    see ya
    Rando
    Glad you posted twice- I had trouble figuring it out the first time-just kidding. You might want to check out Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40. My Toy Truck has always used some oil. I am going for it my next oil change. Of course I will have to wait until Jan - 2003

http://www.mobil.com/mobil_lubes/onhighway/index.html

all things being equal, one would expect that a higher standard oil base should resist heat deformation (gummy varnish) better, and the additive package takes care of detergent, defoaming, boosting viscosity as the oil warms up, etc.

and the API service mark would probably rate a level 1 oil as an SA or SB, while SG and higher oils would be from the better bases.

I don't have time this week to dig into multiple web sites due to early morning cut schedules at work, but the outfits that really wanted to sell performance oil should be posting test results of x zillion hours under y-degree stress, with the following chemical changes in the oil performance.

"my mother-in-law left her BilgeOl in her '52 Roadmaster for 25 years, and it's just as good as the day it went in there" is not a valid test program, not broad enough to say anything, but might have something to tell you about the technical qualities of BilgeOl as manufactured ;)
    Thanks zr2rando - I'm definitely leaning toward trying the Delo 400 in my Jeep Cherokee for the next oil change. Why ? Well... after reading way too many posts in the "oil - slippery subject" and "synthetic oil" forums, the following undisputed truths emerge:

(1) Just about any oil from a major manufacturer will do fine in any gas engine, if changed at reasonable intervals with any filter -- 3000 miles Pennzoil dino juice changes with a Fram filter will probably be fine.

(2) High quality oils + filters at somewhat longer intervals should be just fine also, but may cost somewhat more, and may be overkill, but you won't hurt anything.

(3) The Chevron Delo 400 oil I initially inquired about sounds like it's a pretty good oil: significantly better than standard buck-a-quart dino juice, even if it's arguably not up to the levels of Mobil 1. But the price is right.

So... in the 76,000 mile Jeep engine, which is starting to use a little oil, and sees a mixture of uses (around town, highway trips, and offroad), a 15W-40 oil of GOOD quality should be just fine. I haven't heard any negatives here about using Diesel-rated oils in gasoline engines, especially where the manufacturer says it's also safe to use in gas engines -- e.g. Delo

I think 15W-40 should be fine in this motor. It's crude (ancient pushrod AMC design), it's old (1995 Jeep; 76K miles), and the temperatures where I live aren't so cold that 15W is too thick (Reno, Nevada = wintertime overnight lows are typically 15-25 deg Fahrenheit). Besides, the Jeep is in the garage currently, although will be getting displaced outdoors once my girlfriend buys a new car -- then I think it's block heater time.

-Karl
    I got a double barrel keyboard I guess...
    see ya
    Rando

By the way, that Chevron page says the pour point of the Delo 400
    15w-40 is -38F, so it should be able to pump fine even down to 0F, which is colder than I ever see (at least colder than I would ever need to crank a car....my main concern is handling summer heat, and that is where it really pays off..
    Karl, Depending how important the additive package is to you, Delo 400 might be better at preventing wear than Mobil 1. I'd have to give the Mobil 1's base stock the edge in ability to be pumped through the engine and survive high temps, etc ... but its additive package has been reduced in the last few years.

BobIsTheOilGuy believes that the additive package is actually more important than the base oil and the additive package (detergents, dispersants, anti-corrosives and extreme-pressure agents) is extra strong in those oils primarily designed for diesels, much stronger than the current formulations of Mobil 1 0W30-10W30. I'm not sure about their 15W50, though. It may still have an impressive amount of Zinc DialkylDithioPhosphate (ZDDP) in it.

I would, however, choose a better (not necessarily more expensive) filter. There are plenty to choose from and there's no reason to reward Fram for putting out an exceptionally low quality filter and charging a middle-of-the-road price for it. Besides, with thicker oils (thicker than 5W30) the Fram's weaker valve will spend a great(er) deal of time in 'bypass' mode and it won't be doing its job. Knowing all that, I couldn't justify using them anymore regardless of your choice among oil brands/types.

--- Bror Jace
    Fram filters have the bypass on the dirty end of the filter, so depending on your vehicle (some vehicles have a bypass just before the filter, and some require a filter with a bypass built-in) the Fram will be bypassing dirty oil,,,,other filters usually have a bypass at the entry side so if it bypasses, at least it is relatively clean oil....Thicker oil will bypass during cold starts for sure, during summer would not be as big a problem (Frams have been noted for extended valve train noise at startup (I used to use them and it rattled every cold crank...I changed to different brands and has not done it since. All other brands also had bypasses.)
    The Chevron page said that Delo400 15w40 had zinc at .15% I believe, 5w30 and 10w30 now are .1% since SJ from what I've seen
    I reread what I posted, and I think I wasn't too clear. I don't use Fram filters; I was just using the combo of Pennzoil + Fram as an example of what many people think are marginal oils, and bad filters.

I use AC Delco's standard filter (forget the name, not the Ultraguard, but the one in the blue box), which is easily found for $2.50-$3.00 apiece. I based this on the mini-mopar site, which concluded that AC Delco was one of the better easily-available (and inexpensive) filters.

-Karl
    I suspect you are referring to DURAGUARD. I had been buying these "bargain" ACDelco's at a couple of the usual chain auto parts and at Walmart. Suddenly they are going into short supply, and rumor has it they will not continue being readily available at low prices, from convenient places. GM just can't deal with success! (:oÞ
    I'll just go to K Mart and get house-brand Wix filters, and to various places to get Champ made house-brands. No problemo!
  • mdecampsmdecamps Member Posts: 115
    I use the Delvac 1 5W40 in my TDI Jetta. The only problem with this oil is that it's hard to find. I buy mine from a local oil distributor by the case (4 gallons) and it's relatively expensive. Mobil's website does state that this oil can be used in gasoline engines as well. I know that it is specially designed for extended drains. I believe that it is probably a superior lubricant over their "Tri-synthetic" series and 5W40 is the most accepted grade in Europe. The 40 provides superior protection over a 30 any day. My VW calls for 10K drain intervals. With the next drain (in about 4K miles) I'm going to send it off for a sample. With the reduction in ZDDP in many oils, I'm leaning more and more towards these "40 wt" oils for wear protection. I am going to try Mobil's 0W40 in my truck the next go-round and compare the analysis with the 10W30 and see which one offers better wear protection (i.e. PB levels). Let me know what kind of price you find on the Delvac.

Mark
    13. CAN DELVAC 1 BE RUN IN GASOLINE ENGINES?

Delvac 1 is an excellent gasoline engine oil. Delvac 1 meets the API SJ service classification, which covers most gasoline automobile engines.

18. I HAVE BEEN HEARING ABOUT NEW BASE STOCK TECHNOLOGY CALLED HYDROCRACKING OR HYDROPROCESSING THAT IS SUPPOSED TO PROVIDE SYNTHETIC PERFORMANCE AT CONVENTIONAL OIL PRICES. WHAT CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT THIS?

Hydroprocessing is a term which refers to a manner in which lube base stocks are made. Hydrocracking is a form of hydroprocessing. A wide quality range of base stocks can, and are, produced by hydroprocessing. The majority of hydroprocessed base stocks, produced in the U.S. today, for the most part, are equivalent to conventionally refined stocks. Although hydroprocessing does offer the potential to provide better performance than conventional stocks, in some applications they do not equal the performance of synthetics.

In fact, what are most important are not the differences in the base stocks themselves, but rather the performance of the finished lube oil using these stocks. In this regard, we are unaware of any product on the market containing conventional, hydroprocessed or any other stock that matches the superior performance of fully synthetic Mobil Delvac 1. The performance requirements for a premium engine oil in current engines involve a wide range of criteria, including:

High- and low-temperature performance, where Mobil
    Delvac 1 synthetic stocks excel.
    Soot dispersancy (additives and the base stocks must be able to handle high levels of soot), where our data show that hydrocracked stocks may improve performance versus solvent-refined stocks -- but do not reach the levels of performance of Mobil Delvac 1 Synthetics.
    Cleanliness and wear protection where Delvac 1 has demonstrated outstanding engine durability performance out to one million miles at extended drains of 60,000-80,000 miles.
    So! Delvac is "fully" synthetic, rather than the lesser echelon of "hydrocracked." Correct?
  • rayfbairdrayfbaird Member Posts: 183
    At Sams club the Delvo listed itself as CONTAINING Isosyn. Anyone have an idea of the percentage.
  • jc1973jc1973 Member Posts: 63
    DOES THAT MEAN THE THE REGULAR MOBIL DELVAC 1540 U BUY AT SAY WALMART HAS SYNTHETIC PROPERTIES IN IT
    No, only the product labelled "Delvac 1 5W40" is synthetic.
    You MIGHT be able to tell how much of the Chevron Delo formula is "isosyn" oil by looking at their MSDS sheet ... available at their site chevron.com but I'm not sure they give the percentages.

If you're REALLY interested in one of the better hydrocracked formulas, go with Valvoline Max-Life which I believe is 100% Griup III hydrotreated stocks.

--- Bror Jace
  • loubapacheloubapache Member Posts: 30
    DELO 400

LUBRICATING BASE OIL
    SEVERELY REFINED PETROLEUM DISTILLATE
    > 75.00%

ADDITIVES
    < 25.00%

ZINC ALKYL DITHIOPHOSPHATE
    < 1.60%
  • slickracerslickracer Member Posts: 38
    Does anyone know if Valvoline Durablend is a Group III hydrocracked oil?
    Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I had problems with my site and it took a week of headaches to fix it all.

Anyway, about Mobil Delvac,
    Nothing wrong with that oil for any engine, it excedes diesel specs, which, as I said, are far more stringent than gas engines.
    I have ran Delo400 15w40 on ALL my engines and have consistently seen 250,000+ on those engines.
    Could be from good servicing practices, but from personal experience and oil sampling, Delo works just fine. I work on a fleet of well over a thousand vehicles, with extensive oil sampling and almost all vehicles run Delo 15w40 or a fleet equivelant. We have very few oil related failures and the ones we have are not from the oil, but from contamination getting into the oil.

Alot of oil related failures aren't because of the oil someone is using, but from contamination from an outside source. Dirt, water, coolant and SOOT are the most common causes of contamination.
    oily tenacious nasty smelly old diesel soot, ah yes. extremely small rough chunks of carbon in a fine suspension of [non-permissible content removed]. I can believe that slop would be the perfect combination of abrasive and acid in an oil stream.
    I should use up my vast supplies of SJ and then I will be able to proceed into my new acquisition of ISOSYN Chevron. Is this process/brand the paradigm for this movement, or what? I refer to "hydrocracked" motor oil.
    Do you use the 15w40 year round?
    Did the vehicles originally call for a different wt oil?
    Did you use any thinner oil previously, and did the fuel mileage change when you switched?
    I live in central NC, temps rarely get anywhere close to 20F but get plenty hot during summer...I am not a huge fan of 10w30 on engines older than about 50k miles.
    see ya
    Rando
    fleetwoodsimca, I think "isosyn" is just Chevron's way of saying they have hydrocracked crude in their oils. It's catchy enough ... and better than some annoying alpha-numeric designation.

Again, API's decision in Mobil vs. Castrol has encouraged markting departments to come up with new names for the same old chemical compounds. What was it that Pennzoil used to claim was in their oils? ZL-7 or soemthing like that?

It's all a lot of silly marketing. I ignore it as much as I can. >;^)

--- Bror Jace
    Ain't it the truth, the way these marketers sway opinions? What I am looking at is the ready availability of Chevron ISOSYN/SL at VERY favorable prices, in the face of what I would have expected to be a "great excuse" to notch up the price of motor oil significantly, while holding up the pretense of far greater production expenses. This is early in the sales game for the new SL designation, and things may change. I could (and therefore really should) not buy another drop of motor oil for at least two years. My shelf stock reflects enthusiasm and bargain greed, not need!
    Do you use the 15w40 year round?
    Yes. The temp range here is from 20 degrees(rarely) to 90 (not too often)
    Did the vehicles originally call for a different wt oil?
    Some gas engine vehicles specify 10w30, but because we are a large fleet, there are very few that we do not run the 15w40 in and 60% of our fleet is still under warranty.
    Did you use any thinner oil previously, and did the fuel mileage change when you switched?
    Not really, but then again, the oil is changed out in most cases before the vehicles get out in the field.
    Is this process/brand the paradigm for this movement, or what? I refer to "hydrocracked" motor oil.
    I think this is the trend that we are headed. Until synthetic motor oil comes down in price and is more readily accepted, the "hydrocracked" motor oils are being enhanced continually.
    Chevron's Delo400 15w40 and NAPA's Fleet 15w40 are both very similar products. They are considerably cheaper than synthetic and realistically, at 5,000-7,000 mile oil changes intervals, the synthetic makes little difference.

Just my opinion.
    You said you changed the oil before the vehicles got out in the field, why is that?
    I have heard of nothing wrong with the Delo400 oil,,,what does "DEL" mean anyway,,,DELO400, DELVAC-1??
    see ya
    Rando
    ...if the vehicle manufacturers would cease and desist from using obfuscation techniques to coerce consumers into using oddball viscosity oils. With intent, they leave us worried about whether it is okay or not to use another weight of oil with which we would be more comfortable. They do this, it seems, to support their hidden agendas on CAFE and other demands from government. The result may end up being the early demise of engines that otherwise would have lasted a lot longer. 5W-20? Is this a joke? Is there any real evidence that using such a product is all around in the best interest of engine longevity?
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Member Posts: 1,118
    The truth is that for the lightest weights, 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30 the ONLY they can meet the standard is with high amounts of Hydrocracked or ISOSYN oil.

Three months ago I put in Valvoline, 5W-30 Durablend in my oldest car (1988 172K). The engine runs very quiet and smooth. I immediately noticed the difference. I've only had to add about half a cup of oil to keep it at the top most level of full. This crazy oil even cleaned off the fine coat of varnish that has been on the dipstick for years.

This is also designed to reduce sludge. The new standard can only increase to 250% thicker in 80 hours. The SJ standard was 240% in 60 hours. the oil in this test is heated to 320 degrees farenheit.

Holler all you want about the 5W-20, but the Ford standard requires that the 240% thickening occur only after 120 hours on the anti-sludge test.
    Why do Ford and Honda require/request that to meet warranty prerequisites, you must use 5W-20? Special needs like this can be interpreted as a sign of inferior (or overly limited) product. If Ford/Honda products are not inferior, than we have to assume the oil requirement is pretentious. So, we use 5W-30. What should we expect if we have a warranty claim?
    "Why do Ford and Honda require/request that to meet warranty prerequisites, you must use 5W-20?"

If we (the customers) tell them to go pound sand and we use 5W30 or 10W30 in those cars, then why should the Federal Gov't allow them to use test results obtained when 5W20 is in the crankcase towards their CAFE numbers?

So, they have to strongly recommend owner's use this ultra thin oil in order to get approval from the Feds.

--- Bror Jace
    Just for the comparison Mobil went 128 hours (Double Sequence IIIE) with 28% increase and after 256 hours less than 50% increase in viscosity. I would guess that in this area the Hydrocracked/Isosyn is probably a small percentage or possibly not near as effective as a PAO/Ester.
    Brorjace and adc100--
    The shelves seem to still be loaded with SJ. My vague recollection is that this "hang over" of the old oil standard is longer than previous experience.
    My problem with Ford and Honda on this matter is that there is a perception on my part that vehicles running 5W-20 will be worn down much sooner than if they had been run on a diet of 5W-30.
    You said you changed the oil before the vehicles got out in the field, why is that?

The reason for that is because most of our vehicles have to retrofitted before they go into the field. Between going in and out of the shops, being run back and forth to modification shops and the amount of time that elapses from delivery to being put into service, the vehicles are serviced as a last thing before they go into service.
    I see, thanks.
    Rando
This discussion has been closed.