Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Outlander

Comments

• tomj5tomj5 Member Posts: 209
    Sounds like you have a bent rim. You need to replace it.
  • milleniumdesigmilleniumdesig Member Posts: 1
    this a real nice car got it for $21,300, only thing its missing its the leather seats, sunroof and infinity system, but it has the 6 speakers, im in puerto rico
    So you can get the XLS package without the Sunroof. Humm, one dealer says can't be done and another is going to check into it. Did the dealer have the car or did you have to order it? Did you get the anti skid brakes?
    Your price seems reasonable according to what I have been quoted.

General Info:
    I just got my free gas card ($15) from Mitsy. Go to the web site and sign up for a test drive and you will get a dealer name in the mail. The dealer will give you a free music cd with the mailin gas card request.
  • docralphodocralpho Member Posts: 50
    Hi All,
    Took an Outlander for a test. I felt a bit cramped in the vehicle (am 6'1" tall) and the vehicle's seat bottom a bit firm. Had lots of low end torque. Moved up to 70 mph in fine fashion--kept up with the flow of freeway traffic. No jet, but moved along fine. I liked the retro-looking clock. Fit and finish seemed nice. I don't care for the front end styling (grille); much prefer the New Zealand version of "Airtrek", especially the turbo version with large round (?driving) lights mounted low in front. Like the clear taillight lenses on upscale models. I'd probably like a bit more power--eg the Escapes have 200 hp, and the Outlander is but 140 hp. I like the look of the Outlander better than most of the other small SUVs, though the grille is rather unattractive to me. Maybe a "brush guard" with some lights on it would disquise things up front some. Suspect I would wait on any purchase to see if they plan any upgrades as to power, or maybe aftermarket grilles.
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    I test drove the Forester SX and Mitsubishi Outlander LS back to back today. As well designed and solid as the Forester is... I was unfortunately disappointed. There was too much wind and road noise for me. It strained a bit under highway acceleration. It handled incredibly though crisper than the Outlander. I did not drive either one on rough or choppy roads to find out which rides better.
    The Outlander was quieter. Much less wind and road noise. BUT... the roof came too far forward into my line of vision. I tried to lower the seat to compensate, but could not. I want to see all windshield in front of me... not part of the roof. It gives me a claustrophobic feeling.
    Otherwise.. the dark and dreery interior (don't like dash) is comfortable and has many more places (some hidden) to store things than the Forester. The armrests on the doors are easy to clean vinyl unlike the ones in the Forester SX which are covered with cloth (why?). On the other hand...the center arm rest in the Outlander is cloth. Also..the cargo area in the Outlander is Vinyl on the sides. The Forester has carpet on the sides (not easy to clean bicycle chain grease off).

Other tidbits... The Outlander's driver's door unlocks just by pulling handle (I like this feature). The Outlander has repeat signal lights on the front fenders...less chance someone else will try to move into the center lane at the same time as you!!! The Forester has neither of these features. BUT... the Forester has ABS standard with the SX having 4 wheel disks. Not the Outlander LS. The Forester has a gated typed shift console which I find irritating to use. I also did not care for the Forester's radio controls. The Outlander has a plain easier to use auto shifter (unlit though). The outlander has rear seats that recline. The Forester does not.
    Thanks, I was going to do the same thing. But, now I won't waste my time. I'll stick with the Outlander. I agree that the Outlander has ugly interior colors. But, seat covers and dash mat(a must in AZ) will help.
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    Yeah... the interior is nicely layed out... but the overall feeling is depressing (esp in black). It needs some more bright trim and lighter, brighter colors.

Has anyone here who bought one gotten any mileage numbers yet? State if you have 2wd or awd.
  • ChurdKChurdK Member Posts: 7
    This thing is clearly akin to the Matrix/Protege5/Aerio SX crowd, not the CRV/Escape/RAV4 crowd. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I prefer small wagons to small SUV's. But sticking an aggressive schnozz on a Lancer wagon and calling it an SUV is the sort of cynical, transparent marketing exercise that has Mitsubishi lagging in the auto wars. The only reason why Mitsubishi calls this thing a mini-SUV? To charge mini-SUV prices instead of mini-wagon prices. I don't see why anyone would pay more to drive this instead of the Matrix.
  • johninmdjohninmd Member Posts: 2
    #57, the sunroof in outlander is part of sight and sound option (210W infiniti sound system and sunroof). It is not standard, so you can get the outlander w/o it. What I really like about this suv/crossover is driving characteristics...dual swaybars and low cg convert to car-like handling.
    Boy trying to figure the options is a major hassle. This is my understanding so far. Using a 2wd model.
    1. LS standard
    2. XLS better seats, fog lights, fancy wheels, 6 speaker radio/cd, (side air bags??), remote door lock, better driver seat, fancy rear spoiler.
    3. Deluxe package: (only for XLS) auto dim/compass/temp rv mirror, side air bags, leather seats, Plus must purchase ABS Brakes, Sun Roof. No dealer will discuss this option. (???)

There are various dealer installed things such as a tow hitch/light cable, floor matts, bra, etc.
    Dealers don't know a damn thing about the car and get pissed when you won't buy the floor (yuk green) model. Plus they clam up when you ask about factory orders.
    They want to do a razzle dazzle hunt around other dealers for a car that might be what you want but, most likley not so they figure to talk you into taking it. I guess they are trying to peddle the factory plain janes that they got stuck with.
    Yuk, I would rather get a root canal than buy a damn car!!!!
    I wish the Internet car buy would hurry up!!!! Maybe Wally Mart will get into the business!!!
  • andil1andil1 Member Posts: 97
    Hi, all. I thought I would relay a story about a crash since we all are concerned about vehicle safety. A couple had purchased their Outlander only a week before. They were traveling on a 4-lane road--lots of shopping centers on this road--40-45 mph speed limit. They were travelling in the left lane. Some good samaritan in the right lane stopped to let someone out of a gas station, and instead of that someone turning into the right lane, it proceeded to the left lane and bam, the Outlander plowed into the car. The couple reported the air bags went off and several alarms/bells of some type also sounded. They were completely unhurt. Their Outlander was totaled, however. They are now waiting for the not-too-speedy insurance appraiser to deliver the final verdict so they can get a new Outlander!
  • sydmarsydmar Member Posts: 1
    we're die hard fans of the subie...our legacy has been amazing in the most treacherous canadian winters. we were all set to buy the forester to replace our 626 mazda...when we drove by a mitsu dealer & the outlander caught our eye. the test drive proved itself a worthy competition of the forester...it becomes even more attractive when u see its pricing.

MY QUESTION: what is mitsubishi's history as far as a manufacturer? i.e. compared to the ever reliable toyota, honda, and subaru? this is mitsu's 1st year in canada & no one around here can give me a definite answer or lead me to published articles. thanks for the info!
    I have two Mitsu cars(90 Mirage and 93 Expo) both have 150K miles. I never had a problem with them. Just the usuall maintaince stuff. Belts, oil, and brake pads. The Mirage gets 40mph(1.5L) and the Expo gets 30 mph (2.4L). They both still pass the Smog tests after 150K miles. The Mitsu secret is the perfect match between engine and tranny. Another is the highly efficient cooling system. American cars die like flies in desert heat(120 degrees). This is why American and Canadian cars get crappy gas milage(my opinion).
    If I lived in Canada I would look at the Montero. The rear wheel drive is attractive(2w) and in four wheel mode would handle Canadian weather. I am picking up my new Outback next month.
    The Mitsu cars are the best I have ever owned.
  • pemleypemley Member Posts: 3
    They sold cars through Dodge/Plymouth. 2 of the best cars I ever owned were built in Japan by Mitsu and sold by Dodge. I had a 83 Colt 3 door with a twin stick and a 88 Ram 50. I put 177K km on the Colt before I traded it for the Ram 50 which I put 300K km on. Both were amazingly trouble free, nothing more then routine maintainance. I was considering the Outlander but now my wife wants to wait til the Endeavor comes out later this year.
    That sounds like a good idea. Is the Endeavor the dodge version of the Outlander??? I owned a 1985 dodge sport car that had a 2l turbo engine made by Mitsu. This was the fastest car I have ever owned. When the turbo kicked in it would blow any stock V8 off the road. The only problems I had were the American made parts of the car. I decided then that my next car would be a Mitsu.
  • jbbtx1jbbtx1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying and Outlander XLS. I have driven it, the Hyundai SanteFe, Ford Escape, & Honda CRV. I really liked the styling and drive of the Outlander and the price is at or better than the others.

I'm just curious how much are dealers willing to deal on a new model? How much over invoice would you consider a good buy?

Any other comments on realibility and overall experience with the Outlander will be appreciated.
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    This just my 2 cents worth. Mitsubishi's history in the States has not been spotty. It built cars, engines, transmissions for Dodge and Chysler. That history had it's ups and downs, with some bad engines and transmissions, plus some good products. Mitsubishi has been building cars for years on its own and the reputation has not been sterling. I can't think of one Mitsubishi Consumer Reports has recommended.

As far as Japanese companies, I would give Honda and Toyota as being on the top. Then Nissan, Subaru, Mazda being very good to excellent. It seems to me Isuzu, Suzuki and Mitsubishi are at the bottom of the Japanese food chain. Which is to say, they make good cars, not great cars.

Mitsubishi has done a great job in it's growth over the last few years in this Country.
    This link is a story about German cars, but it basically supports what I just stated about the reliability with Isuzu, Suzuki and Mitsubishi.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?s=2c0c058d0ea612b8db- 47b915135043c4&threadid=88
  • hienphamhienpham Member Posts: 4
    Over the Outlander ? Just curious.
    Good question? They are both in the below average category. Some Hyundai's are recommended by Consumer Reports and they do have a 120,000 mile warranty.

My view of the Santa Fe is, it is a little heavy for it's size, the engineering and finish in my opinion is not up to Mitsubishi. The engine blowing up and the company not knowing how much horse power the engine makes is not a good sign for Hyundai.

When I bought my last SUV, I like the Mitsubishi Montero Sport a lot. After driving the Hyundai Santa Fe, it was just not in the running.

Actually, I like Mitsubishi products. I was just trying to answer Sydmar's question "what is mitsubishi's history as far as a manufacturer? i.e. compared to the ever reliable toyota, honda, and subaru?".
  • phi77phi77 Member Posts: 3
    Did anybody hear that fender flares are the option for an extra $600 but you can't order the car w/o them because they put those on at the time when the car is being received in the states by mitsu people (not the dealer) so all Outlander XLS AWD in the states have fender flares. I think I got a good deal on the car but those Fender flares are bothering me.
    I drove the Outback and liked it. I had to have a tow package and I wanted the delux interior. But you had to take the moon roof. I hate moon roofs. They don't work in the hot Arizona Sun. Plus the car was on the small size with a small engine.
    So I looked at a Mazda MPV and fell in love with it. It had a great tow package with a 3.0 engine and 5 speed tranny. Plus you can plush it out without a damn moon roof. Plus it is amazing what you can do with the seats in it. I had to have one. It is on order.
    We am going to keep the Mitsy EXPO. The wife wants it for her work car. So I put a rebuilt tranny in it (155k miles). The old one was starting to slip. I gave my 90 Mitsy Mirage (great car) to charity. The tax write off was much higher than what the dealer offered.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I think their reliability was very spotty during the mid 90's period. The 80's/early 90's Mitsu's were solid but not spectacular reliability wise. The current generation Galant has been reliable and the Diamante has always been solid reliability wise. The last 2 generation Eclipse's reliability has been kinda spotty. I think Mitsu's reliability has been getting back on track from when they fell off in the mid 90's period. Chrysler will definately help Mitsu out and vice versa. With Hyundai in there that should help even more. Late 90's/early 00's Mitsu is definately better than mid 90's Mitsu reliability wise. Still I would trust a Honda, Toyota, Nissan, or Mazda to last me 200K with limited problems and you have that kinda of confidence in a product thats pretty cool. Mitsu's might be a last resort If those 4 don't impress me with their products one of these days.
  • tony924tony924 Member Posts: 1
    I have leased a 2003 Outlander LS 2 weeks ago. I love the vehicle with two exceptions. I press the gas pedal and I get a jingling,tin rattle noise (as the dealer would call it). It's only when you accelerate The dealer which has a nice service dept. claims this is normal.

Also the vehicle strays to either right and left. It was checked for alignment and they said it was OK? Does anybody have these same kinds of little problems?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Outlander doesn't do so hot in the 5 MPH bumper tests:

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

Steve, Host
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    Was impressed with the Outlander in checking it out at the auto show. The interior with leather is very nice. Design is attractive.

Needs more motor and a lower trunk floor for more cargo room. Windows not low enough (claustrophobia). Apparently bumpers an issue.

Seating i found was very accommodating and comfy. Overall felt like it was more expensive than Vibe / Matrix.
  • kiwicomkiwicom Member Posts: 5
    Got the new "Loaded" Outlander. I had an Audi A4 last so it sems a little low on Luxury although it is a loaded car.

Guess this an extremely small comunity so if there is anyone who likes me wants to do some stuff...i.e. inprove the infinity stereo, Get 20 more HP, install a lazer jammer (they work really well) and have some technical ability...post a message and we can chat.

Maybe even start an New Area..

Kiwi (Canada) XLS/Leather/AWD
  • outlandermanoutlanderman Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone,

My wife and I purchased a '03 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS (rio red pearl exterior, gray interior) 2 months ago. However, I am experiencing a minor but VERY ANNOYING issue with this new car. The rear left/right passenger doors produces a squeaking/rattling sound whenever my wife drives it. She told me that it drives her crazy because she drives this car about 70 miles (one way) on her way to work everyday. I testdrove the car several times and confirmed that the problem is true.

It truly is annoying.

I have brought it in the dealership for service about 4 times now and they have not fixed the problem. They keep saying that the molding/flares does not fit properly but that does not fix the issue.

Now, I am so frustrated. The car performs great and is really worth buying but this problem makes me doubt the Outlander's reliability.

Does someone experiences this kind of problem too?

If you could please help us out, we would be very much appreciative.
  • dagpotterdagpotter Member Posts: 71
    Hi, I am thinking of buying an Outlander. I would keep it for 5+ years. Are there any reasons why I shouldn't consider it?

Thanks,

Dag
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    aside from a power shortage I can't think of any reason not to.
    I guess I will need to testdrive it to see.

Thanks
  • jpoljpol Member Posts: 1
    I'm buying an outlander .Its true that there are problems over passing with the outlander because of the low HP?
    I want to have my say. I have had an outlander for 3 weeks now. The car is OK and I don't find the power to be a problem. It is not a rocket but is fine for overtaking.
    I do however have a problem with the company and there lack of customer service. This is definately not Honda. They never get back to you and are always arguing with you about your experience. Not good. It is like buying a computer without tech support. I think Mitsu is a manufacturer only and really need to reinvent their opperation.

Remember these words if wisdom before you part with your hard earned cash.

Gregory Keen
    What exactly are your issues? Service? Not answering questions?

Thanks,

Dag
    First i am in canada but bought the car online from new zealand. basically got off the plane and picked it up. all i had to go on was their website and the very similar airtek in new zealand. the car was loaded but where were the white gauges shown on the website? not availible.
    customer service argured with me and said that i had not specified these gauges. turns out that they were only made for the states and they only had black in canada. so they pointed me to the disclaimer saying "Every possible effort is made to ensure that information, specifications and images contained in our brochures, marketing materials and on our website are as accurate as possible. However, these brochures are produced weeks and in some cases months in advance of the release of production vehicles and frequently the images are of prototype or pre-production vehicles"....well this is a web site we are talking about - it can be updated in a matter of minutes. (the car was released here in november.

so they are just blowing me off. they did not do their job properly as plain as day....

I am taking mitsu canada to court and will win. it is a clear case of misreppresentation...

The service guys are ok but i get the feeling that it is all rather new to them. when there are warranty issues it seems to take forever...at honda they just do it on the spot and tell you about it later.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Sorry you are so disappointed because you didn't get white faced gauges. But honestly, you don't have a case and won't win anything in court. Websites always have the disclaimer you mentioned as well as a reference stating "see your dealer for availability. Not all items shown are available in all areas". Those two statements alone would lose your case in court. Websites don't just take a few minutes to update and car websites are normally updated once every 6-12 months, so your demand is unrealistic. Are you going to let the lack of white faced gauges ruin your enjoyment of the car?? You keep making references to "well, Honda would fix it right away". Isn't Mitsubishi a brand new company in Canada?? Give the company a break. The dealers need some time to get their act together. You can't expect a recently established company to have stellar customer service compared to a company that has been doing business in your country for many years. I think the problem you are having is classic luxury car withdrawals. You were pampered by Audi and have now stepped down to an "economy" SUV that doesn't guaranty the same service you are used to. All I have to say to that is : get used to it. And if you think Honda is so good in customer service, than why did it take my sister a year to force Honda to buy back her lemon 00 Odyssey? No company is perfect. If you were having serious reliability problems with your new car, I could understand your aggravation, but what you have mentioned so far is silly.
    For those who like the Outlander but are worried it doesn't have enough power, I highly suggest you wait until the 04 models come out. They will have a new 2.4 liter engine with variable valve timing that will bring hp up from 140 to 160. 160 horses should be plenty of pep for this SUV.
    Firstly thanks for the reply. I don't however agree with your statement. Mitsubishi Canada are controlled by mistsu USA. They at no time have admitted that the website was misleading. I have spoken to a lawyer that specializes in this sort of case and she said that they cannot hide behind the disclaimer. Also they updated the site the next day...so much for your theory...
    This is basically the attitude of a company that does not abide by the parent companys mission statements. It is a go away (and stop bothering me)attitude and I would suggest that it is a bad practice of the US company. These guys are one of the top companies in sales in Japan. It is the American attitude towards its customers that will not allow it to be a major player in the US.
    What about the customer comes first? If you are prepared to just rollover in life..so be it. Accept what you are given and we as a society will move backwards. I on the other hand will fight for what is right. They are wrong and they should straighten out their mistake.
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    Is that a definite on the '04 hp? I know the Lancer Ralliart has the 2.4 (bumped to 162 hp) and the Sportback wagon (see NY Autoshow) will have the 2.4/160 standard but hadn't heard anything about Mitsu putting it in the Outlander.
    Sure would make sense, though. Any fuel economy ratings on the 2.4?
    With all due respect, I don't see why you think you are getting screwed. You stated you bought the car based simply on online info right? When you went to pick the car up, didn't you question the lack of white faced gauges? If it was such a big deal, why didn't you simply not sign the papers and refuse the car? I mean if it bothered you that much, don't get the car. You obviously liked the car enough to overlook it, but now you are letting it bother you because it seems you have encountered some buyer's remorse and are trying to find a way out of the car.
    The 04 Outlanders will definitely have the new 160 horse 2.4 liter engine. The 140 horse 2.4 is being replaced across the board with the introduction of the new Galant. This info has been confirmed by journalists reporting on the New York show and by a Mitsu dealer.

On a side note, I test drove an 03 Outlander XLS FWD today. I was very inpressed with the power. You would not expect a four cylinder strapped with an automatic and 3000 pounds to jump off the line so smoothly and quickly. It felt just as fast as a 170 horse V6 powered Hyundai Tiburon I test drove afterwards, at least to 4k. The engine is smooth as butter and so is the automatic. The engine is very quiet too and even has a sporty sounding exhaust note as you rev it to 4k. The sequential shift gate is a neat gimmick. Interior fit and finish was excellent and the white gauges and Infiniti clone clock were nice touches. The ride was firm and well controlled, but still plenty comfortable. Handling was pretty good for a tall vehicle. Front seats were very comfortable but rear seats were mounted too low for optimum comfort. I thought it was neat how the retractable cargo cover could be stored underneath the floor in the storage tray. The doors also had a nice solid expensive sounding thunk. The only downside I noticed was the somewhat squashed view out through the short windshield. Overall, I think Mitsubishi has designed a very nice SUV that deserves more attention than it gets. With 160 horses, this car will fly.
    No, I am basically happy with the car. It is a cheap car and they have cut some corners but I can let that go. The problem I have is with the lack of integrity of the company. I was initially told that it was a mistake by the dealer. Other cars had been shipped with incorrect stuff. So I thought that it would get fixed up.....
    What do you think of someone who says one thing and does another....A LIAR right? It is the point of the issue - not so much the gauges but the lack of integrity
    is now live on the site. "The Outlander has wonderful highway manners and enough power to climb fairly steep grades without having to resort to the truck lane."

Long-Term Test: 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander

Steve, Host
  • joybelljoybell Member Posts: 275
    I am trying to decide. Did the Outlander first come out for the model year 2003. If so, that's not too good is it? Which one is safer? Is the Outlander made in Japan? I don't really need 4wd and I don't like the Forester's plastic body cladding, and it is more expensive than the Outlander, which is why I am considering a Mitsubishi. No ABS brakes though, right?
    The Outlander was new for 03, but so is the Forester. The Outlander's engine is the same engine as the Galant's, which has been around since 1994, so the drivetrain is a proven reliable design. Both the Outlander and Forester did extremely well in offset crash tests. In the US, the Outlander is available with ABS brakes, but not sure about Canada. The Outlander is built in Japan and is based off the Mitsubishi Lancer. I own an 02 Lancer, which was new for 02, and have enjoyed 23k completely trouble free miles. Owning a first year model is generally a nightmare when it comes to American made cars and some European models, but Japanese cars tend to get it right from the beginning so I wouldn't worry much about it.

Anyway, if it were me, I would take the Outlander. It's a more stylish looking SUV, sits higher, and is roomier.
  • tsxtsx Member Posts: 32
    I am currently working as a Sales Rep. for Mitsubishi. The '03 Outlander in the XLS trim came with 2 luxury packages.
    Package 1: One included the Heated Front Seats, Leather Seating Surfaces, Front Side Airbags.
    Package 2: Leather Seating Surfaces and Trim, Dual Front Side Air Bags, Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror with Compass and Temperature Display, Heated Front Seats along with the white faced guages.

BUT the 2nd luxury package was not available until after January 2003 because the production for XLS models with PKg.2 started after the Jan. '03!

If the White face that much of a deal for you, i suggest that you spend the $50-$80 and get a after market kit for your outlander.
  • tsxtsx Member Posts: 32
    It is confirmed directly from Mitsubishi that the '04 Model 2.4 I4 Engine will be using the new MIVEC technology which is the equivlent of Honda's VTEC or Toyota's VVT-i.

The New engine will be making atleast 160-162HP with 160+ Torque and much improved fuel economy. This will put the Outlander at the top of it's competitors.

We're hoping that Mitsubishi will use the 3.0 V6 with 200+HP for future Outlander Models or atleast come out with a RalliArt version of the truck.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    Good to hear that Mitsubishi is addressing the two major weaknesses of the Outlander....it's underpowered engine and less-than-spectacular fuel economy. The only other area where it's a bit lacking is cargo capacity as compared to the competition, but that would probably need a new rear suspension design to fix. It's a nice vehicle and definitely on our shopping list, though we probably won't be ready to buy for a year or two. Being as you have an "inside track" on Mitsubishi, would you have any idea if they are going to release their new Grandis sportvan/wagon here in Canada/USA? This vehicle would suit our needs even better than the Outlander, as it has seating for 6/7 (I like the six passenger Sport version the best). It uses the same engine that the Outlander is getting. I find the Odysseys/Siennas/Quests of this world too large and cumbersome......the Grandis is about the size of an MPV, only 2" narrower, and 4" lower, so it's a lot more sporty and less "van-like" (not to mention, more fuel efficient!)
    Check out the Mitsubishi Japanese site if you're unfamiliar with it. To picture it, cross a Vibe with the new Quest and you'd be pretty close...this vehicle splits the difference between the small sportwagons (Vibe, Matrix, Protege5) and the so-called "mini"vans (Sienna, Quest et al). There is a definite need for this vehicle for small families/empty nesters/ who want van-like utility/seating in a smaller, more user-friendly, more efficient and economical package. Priced between the Matrix (20 G's) and the Sienna (30 G's), it could be a hit.
This discussion has been closed.