Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Outlander

Comments

• carcar728carcar728 Member Posts: 2
    I am a numbnut. It was listed nowhere, nor was I told that my Outlander XLS does in fact have ABS brakes. I didn't think it was standard, but my boyfriend begs to differ. am I that oblivious? Sorry, I wanted to clarify my previous statement for a better opinion from everyone. Thanks!
  • mitsu1mitsu1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone encountered an irritating squeaking noise coming from the rear suspension of the Mitsubishi Outlander? I was told by the dealership that it is a common problem with the 2003 Outlanders and Lancers. They said that it was due to the cold weather in Canada, the rubber bushings get dry up and cause this squeaking to occur. To solve this problem, the bushings have to be replaced. However, this $10 (Canadian) part has been on back ordered for 2 weeks now and I was told that it would take at least a few more weeks for it to arrive
    from Japan.

My question is: Has anyone out there encountered this problem and if so, do you have a recommendation for an interim solution?

Thank you in advance.

Luat
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Last weekend the auto show was in town. As my wife will be getting a new vehicle later this summer, it was an opportunity to go and see all the potential contenders in one place and compare them. One of the vehicles we saw and were impressed with was the Mitsubishi Outlander; in fact, we liked it enough to stop at a Mitsubishi dealer and take a test drive. This review is my impressions of that test drive. We test-drove the Outlander XLS AWD, white with a gray leather interior and sunroof.

Exterior

Well, it certainly is distinctive. The Outlander is meant to compete with the Subaru Outback and Outback Sport, and while none of these cars are going to win any styling or design awards, the Outlander is just plain odd in places. The nose, specifically; I know that it shares design elements with other vehicles in Mitsubishi’s line up, but let me tell you, Jimmy Durante didn’t have a schnoz like that. Once you can get past that (if you can get past that), the rest of the shape is pretty inoffensive. Nothing real ground breaking, just nice, clean lines. The XLS model we drove has the clear tail light treatment that is all the rage these days; the LS trim level has red tail light surrounds. Another difference between the LS and the XLS is that the XLS has darkened rear windows; the LS has just a bit of tinting. The proportions between the upper and lower body, however, does look slightly odd, like the place where torsos and heads are meant to go don’t have enough room, at least when compared to the place where lower parts of the human body are.

Strangely, my wife, who normally does not like white as a vehicle color (along with red and black) actually did not mind the white of our test vehicle. According to her, there is enough gray colored body cladding on the front and rear bumpers to break up the monotony of the primary color of the car. Other colors available are a bright blue, a darker blue, a moss green, charcoal, silver and burgundy. Interior colors are charcoal or tan, cloth or leather.

Interior

The interior of the Outlander didn’t scream “econobox” to me, which is a good start. Many cars these days have very generic, plastic looking interiors that I’m sure wear like iron but just don’t exude any pizzazz. Like the exterior, the interior is a lot of rehashed ideas, with one or two items that jump out; some good, some not so good.

The driving position is nice; the drivers’ seat adjusts 10 ways, so it is not too hard to get a comfortable position behind the wheel. The steering wheel only adjusts up and down, but both my wife and I were able to make it work (when you are 5ft 11in and your spouse is 5 ft 3in, that isn’t always as easy as you think). The instrument panel is simple and easy to read, with white-faced gauges that are also quite trendy at the moment. The only real gripe I have is with the stereo, which looks like something from the 80’s. The sound is nice, but it only has a single CD (a 6-CD changer is a dealer installed accessory). Another throwback element is the analog clock (you remember, the kind with hands?), which is in a prominent position right in the middle of the dash. Storage bins are adequate, but if you have smaller children, you might find that there aren’t enough places to put all the small things you find you need.

The rear seat is not too bad; not limo-like, but not cruel and unusual punishment for the rear seat passengers, either. The rear seats are split 60/40, and fold flat without having to do anything to the bottom cushions. There is a fold down armrest in the rear seat. The space behind the rear seats is larger than one might first expect, with an innovative trick that I would like to see duplicated by other manufacturers: under the rear floor, there is a space for the privacy cover to be stored when it is not being used. Quite slick!

Driving Impressions

The test drive was quite short – maybe 10 or 15 minutes total. As my wife will primarily drive the vehicle, I spent only a few of those minutes behind the wheel.

The Outlander comes with only one engine and transmission choice – a 2.4 liter 4-cylinder engine that makes 160HP, with a 4 speed automatic transmission. Again, this compares to the Outback and Outback Sport, which has a 2.5 liter, 1645HP 4-cylinder. However, the Subaru’s are available with a 5-speed manual transmission as well. In the Outlander, this engine and transmission combine to make an OK amount of thrust. The test drive loop we were taken on was deserted business parks, not the open 2-lane roads and highways that my wife and I normally drive.

With that being said, it is hard to determine if the car has enough “get out of its own way” power … a longer test drive may be in order. Given the test drive conditions, it wasn’t too bad. Transmission shifts were smooth and unobtrusive. Ride and handling seem to be as good as, if not better than, most of the “cute utes” (RAV4, VUE, Escape/Tribute twins, et al) – the Outlander has a much lower center of gravity, and seems more car-like in these respects. The ground clearance is nice, and the car rides high enough to offer great visibility.

Final Thoughts

The test drive really was not long enough to do a thorough evaluation of the car, but if first impressions are anything to go by, the Outlander seemed to do well. My wife was suitably impressed to keep it on her short list, and I have to say that, while I wasn’t overwhelmed, it is a nice little car with a few features that make it good for all weather capability. The Outlander also comes with a decent warranty, which may be an important factor to some folks. Price wise, our test vehicle, which was pretty much fully loaded (ABS is the other option our car had, along with the leather package), came in just under $25,000, which really isn’t too bad considering all you get for the price.
  • chrisbothchrisboth Member Posts: 493
    Dont pay more than 22.5!
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Thanks for the pricing advice, but that's assuming that we buy the Outlander.

It is still too early to make a final decision. As I pointed out, the biggest concern that we have is the lack of HP -- 160 may not be enough when one lives at 6000'. Other possibilities include the Saturn VUE (250), the Ford Escape (200) or the Subaru Forester XT (217).

But, there were some nice qualities about the Outlander as well.
  • cambocambo Member Posts: 10
    Here is an update after 3000 miles with my 03 outlander.

I bought a XLS 2wd with sunroof, infinity stereo, leather and abs. The vehicle was a steal with the 2000 dollar rebate and another 500 dollars for being a recent collage graduate. The Outlander is defiantly a step up from my Chevy s10.

Engine-
    I drove the 4wd and 2wd and found the 2wd has noticeably more power. I live in California and would only need 4wd up in the hills during storms and those days I usually stay at home. I don’t find the acceleration bad at all. My wife’s car is a Mazda protégé5 and the outlander feels just as peppy and a lot quieter. Last week I drove to Reno and was pleasantly surprised at the Outlanders hill climbing ability. Especially going over Donner summit at 7500ft, I could hold 80mph and only remember dropping into 3rd once. The engine seems to have the most power around 3000 rpm. I like the manual mode feature. It helps to use the engine to brake on the long descents by dropping it into 3rd. My mileage has been going up on every fill-up. So far with all city driving I get 21mpg. Last week on my trip to Nevada I got 24.5 mpg. I thought this was great since I drove 75-80 for the whole trip and it was hilly.

Interior-
    I love the look of the interior. The leather seats and white gauges sure give the vehicle an upscale feel. The heated seats work well on the few cold days we have in California. On the downside the all black interior was *&#@ hot today when the temperature hit 86 degrees. I can’t imagine what it will be like with 100 degree days. The stereo has great bass and will not need upgrading at all. I do think the sunroof is a little small.

Problems-
    I have 2 issues with the car. One, I have a small rattle coming from the rear when I hit bumps. The second is a slight pull to the right on the freeway. I am going to get this checked out when I get my first oil change.

Upgrades-
    I bought a Thule bike rack the fits perfectly on the roof rails. The only problem is I can’t use the wind faring so the rack adds a lot of wind noise.
  • subarusaleshousubarusaleshou Member Posts: 161
    Check to be sure the jack is stowed properly. If it is a little loose it can cause noise. We have an '03 LS that had the first oil change today at 3060. It's my wife's and she likes it more and more as time goes by. She was really talking it up yesterday to the roofer working on our house. They are really nice vehicles and I'm expecting a very good and very long relationship with this one.
  • rnn59rnn59 Member Posts: 8
    As a follow up to the various gas mileage posts that are here at Edmunds, my experience is this:

1. Yesterday's April 4th trip from Agawam MA to Salem MA. and back, I calculated 23 miles per gallon which was all highway driving with a 2003 Outlander with AWD.

2. In town driving I'm getting 20 miles per gallon.

My other impressions after 11,000 miles on the vehicle are as follows:

I have had no major problems with it. I do follow the recommended service schedule that is recommended by Mitsubishi. For what ever its worth, I do use Mobile 1 oil in the engine. I changed over to Mobile 1 after 6,000 miles on the engine. I have used Mobile 1 in all of my new cars since it fist came out.

I like the way the car handles on the road. It's rock solid. On a trip I find the seats to be comfortable.

The car was purchased from Howser Mitsubishi in Springfield MA. The only problems that I find at that dealership is that the service department is not open in the evenings and on Saturdays. I find that I have to take time off from work to get the car serviced. Another issue that I have with them is that even though you have the first appointment set for 8:00 in the morning, they do not take the car in until an hour later. They always have an excuse for not getting the car in on time as promised. That is my only complaint.
  • beagledogbeagledog Member Posts: 2
    Did you get any responses? I just bought a new 2003 and I have a severe pull to the left - can't take my off the road at all. I thought it was an alignment problem but when I called service they said the 2003 had a known problem in assembly and I would need to bring the vehicle in for at least a day as they would have to basically tear down the front end!!!!!! Now I'm torn between doing that, not believing them as a way for service to bill the parent, or wondering if I have a lemon. Other than the admittedly big problem I like it. Any advice you can offer woud be great!
  • althai2000althai2000 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new 2004 OutLander LS. I love it. I have one problem. I have about 500 miles on it. I've noticed steering pull to right side. You must keep your hand on steering at all time. I filed a complaint as #118. I will take it to the dealer soon.

For those who trying to buy this car, please make sure to have a long test drive.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I am friends with the local Mitsu dealer shop foreman. He told me the 03 Outlander did have some problems with steering drift. He mentioned there is a long procedure of checking things in order to fix the drift so I would think the dealer is being truthful to you, beagledog. It might need to stay there all day if they end up having to try several things to fix the problem. Your car may need just a simple wheel alignment or cross rotation of the front tires. I would give them a chance to fix it before worrying about having a lemon. Good luck! I think the Outlander is the nicest small SUV out there.
  • beagledogbeagledog Member Posts: 2
    I appreciate the information Tonge! I will definitely take it into the dealer now!
  • pcs15394pcs15394 Member Posts: 27
    My 03 Outlander also drifts to the left and you definitely cannot relax your grip while driving it. My wife complains that the steering is very loose and sensitive. I agree with her and am planning on taking to the dealer. Steering was always very sensitive but not quite as "loose" as it currently is.
  • althai2000althai2000 Member Posts: 2
    I got Outlander04 that having abot 900 miles. My car was pulling to the left side of the road. Mitsu tech. balanced all wheels and did alignment this week. He did adjust the steering also. According to alignment report, it was off spec.

It is now running a lot better.

For those who has Outlander, you may need to check if your car is pulling to the left.

Good luck to you all. Thank you for this dicussion group, it really helps me out
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    S&P downgrades Mitsubishi (The Australian)

"The agency downgraded Japan's Mitsubishi Motors despite its announcement of additional cost-cutting plans, saying the latest series of vehicle defects called into question the company's viability."

Steve, Host
  • jjpeterjjpeter Member Posts: 230
    Has anyone investigated the availibility of an after market K&N cone filter type kit for this vehicle? I have replaced the stock airbox on two of my vehicles and it makes a remarkable different in throttle response and low end punch. Its like running a mile trying to breath through a drinking straw, and then suddenly breathing normally.

Might help with fuel economy also, because you get more performance with less throttle play.
    Guess not Jjpeter - try the K&N Air Filters, bolt-on power? discussion.

In the news, Mitsubishi boss says automaker must reconnect with U.S. consumers (Detroit Free Press)

Steve, Host
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Steve - thanks for the article. No incentives, fewer models and fleet sales, aging and already outdated lineup and they expect to return to profitability next year based on the increased sales volume? Selling what and to whom exactly?

I'm waiting for the usual mega rebates to kick in at the end of the year though it might be too late to lift the sales.
  • davidkeith37davidkeith37 Member Posts: 30
    You can now get instantanious and trip gas milage easily and relatively cheap at that. Two of us were checking out a 2000 Kia Sportage with 100,000 miles I am considering buying. We hooked up a Scanguage to the OBD port. It reads out, among other functions, RPM, MPG, MPH and percent load.The 2L engine with Mt under ideal road conditions showed 60mph=39mpg,70mph=36mpg,75mph=34mpg,and 80mph=31mpg. Several observations were averaged to get the mpg figure. Anyway the point being that speed cost in mpg. The guage really shows cost of what seems to be small inputs to the throttle. I highly recommend this relativly inexpensive electronic gadget. See it at www.Scanguage.com . I need to replace a 78 Dodge Slant 6 van with nearly 300,000 or 400,000 miles on it.The Kia Sportage needs about $1,400.00 worth of parts, tires and labor. If I go new it comes to a decision between the Hyundai Santa Fe and the Mitsubishi Outlander simply because they have the better EPA milage ratings. I purchasing a SUV simply for the comfort of the seating position as I am 66 years old and have some arthritis. My only reservation on the Outlander is its lack of a manual transmission. Are they good for 200,000 miles given proper care? How expensive are repairs to it? Are the brake problems reported due to lack of engine compression braking caused by AT upshifting at worst possible moment? Can an old MT guy learn to live with this AT? I would like to hear from dedicated manual gear shifters on how well they like this AT. As it stands now I will most likly get the Santa Fe simply because of the 5 speed trans.Thanks for any and all comments. This is a very informative site.
  • elgatolocoelgatoloco Member Posts: 92
    Too bad you are looking for used as the 05 Outlander is scheduled to have a 5spd stick option.

I purchased an 04 Outlander for my wife who uses it in auto mode only. When I drive it in the city I use the shift mode & it is very effective in slowing the vehicle instead of using the brakes. Wish I could give a better long term review but we only have a little over 4000 miles on it so far.

So with all the neat features on it what does my wife like most? The styling, natch.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    The new outlanders will have a 5 speed manual tranny.
  • pogmanpogman Member Posts: 1
    I now have about 8000 miles on my outlander and it is my first vehicle with an auto. I will always prefer a stick but I am forced to drive an auto since the wife refuses to drive a stick.
    Having the manual-mode is great in the outlander, giving some thrill of a manual, I mostly us it to hold a lower gear when climbing hills or to scrub off speed. I don’t think it improves acceleration much but does give you more control.
    I have had this vehicle since February and have had no problems and last week was amazed when I got 29mpg on a road trip.
    I drove a 2004 fwd Outlander for about 20 miles today. Did manage to get it up to 50mph on one Boulovard in Tucson. I was most impressed, I will not be able to eliminate the Outlander simply because of the AT.The manual shift mode was really helpfull on a down hill run towards a stop light. I was able to just ease of the gas in 3rd and scrub off enough speed to reach the stop light just after it had changed to green and get back up the speed limit all without touching the brake while keeping rpms in the comfort range.So quiet, so comfortable, so cool in the 100 degree heat, and so responsive in comparison to my 78 Dodge slant 6 van. But then a Yugo would be an upgrade compared to the van. Thanks for the feed back from you MT fanatics. I remember Tom McKahill(?SP) comparing acceleration in a 1948 Buick straight 8 DynaFlow to pushing your foot into a bucket of molasses.Anyway I am getting internet quotes on the Hyundai Santa Fe and Outlander for 2004 end of year stock, base models with no options. I have not driven the Santa Fe yet but at this point I think I would pay up to $800.00 more the Outlander.
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    I have a 2003 AWD with 14500 mi. I average 27-29mpg on trips, and 23-26 going to work on a mix of back roads and city roads (24 mi one way). I asked my service guy about the "tinny sound" the exhaust makes under accelleration. He tells me it is due to an exhaust valve located within the muffler. Anyway, no problems at all with the car yet.
  • charley9charley9 Member Posts: 48
    For what its worth here are a few thoughts on my "04 Outlander LS AWD. I got the critter at the end of December '03 and parked it until the Winter departed. Since March I have accumulated 7000 miles and it seems like it is broken in. It is a touch smoother than the day I drove it home but no drastic changes. I was looking for a cheap, tough AWD and it was between this and the Forester. The Mitsu had the Forester in price and I feared the Subie flat engine. I used to have VW's and those boxers are difficult to work on. I did like the Forester though. The Outlander also seemed a tad more heavy duty than the Forester. Since I started driving it at the end of March the Outlander has surprised me in a few ways that are positive but it’s not perfect. First the fuel mileage. I drive in rural Western Pa and the thing always seems to average 27.5mpg. I am scientific about the measuring too. Same pump, on the level, approximately the same temperature and I fill until the gas lays in the filler pipe. It has cracked 28 a couple of times but that is rare. I do keep the tires at 36psi and follow the speed limit. This keeps the tach between 2 and 2500 which no doubt helps. Another thing I like is that it uses absolutely no oil. I've had two other Mitsu’s and they would use a pint+ in 2000 miles.
    The Outlander goes down the road well too. I've come to associate a very subtle torque feel with AWD and the Outlander is the most neutral AWD I've ever driven. But then I'm used to lower end AWD....Not BMW class. The brakes are good but I would not say outstanding. I think I detect some fluctuation in pedal position from time to time. It always stops straight and true though with little pedal pressure. I will bleed the lines at some point though just to be sure. The interior materials are on the same level as my other Mitsu products which were durable and that is good enough for me. I would classify them as not the worst and not the best.
    This is my second vehicle with an automatic in 40+ years of driving. It seems to work just fine but I wish it was a stick. The + - thing is kind of amusing to me. Come on..its still not a stick! The paint is nice but they did not do a good job when they cleared the jambs for the trunk lid . It looks grainy and could/should have been done right.
    Now we come to the engine...MIVEC? Kind of a big name for a system that only actuates the intakes? It is still basically the old 2.4 in many ways though. Iron block, caged main caps but a lot of subtle differences. Hopefully it has the reliability of my older 2.4's which were bullet proof. It starts and runs perfectly but I do have one MAJOR complaint. When it is at idle, it makes this annoying rolling noise that I can't pin down. It seems to come from the front (accessory drive) end of the engine. Sounds like boiling water bordering on a tinny rattle? It seems to go away as soon as comes off idle and it has not changed since I first noticed it. I wish I knew what it was and how to make it go away. The dealer says they all sound like that? Anybody else with a 2.4 MIVEC hear anything pesky at idle? Other than that the engine seems fine. It does have mechanical lifters which are adjustable. However, Mitsu makes no mention of maintenance adjustments and I wonder about that. I have never seen mechanical lifters that did not require attention at some point. All in all a good ride for the money. It was $18300 plus tax and did have the appearance package. IMHO, that’s fairly cheap for what you get. Would I do it again? Yes, if I felt confident enough in Mitsu being around for the life of the warranty. At the moment they seem a bit iffy but I think it would huge loss of cultural face if they fail. I believe they will do everything possible to prevent that. Mitsu Heavy is a part of Japanese history and such a loss would hopefully be intolerable.
    Yeah, what the Hell, I do like the old Outlander....If it doesn't kick my butt there will be a bond.
    I went into a Tucson Mitsubishi to pay cash for a Outlander. I did have an internet quote on a Hyundai Santa Fe and was willing to pay $800.00 more for Outlander. We could not work a deal as the highest I would go was $18,330.00 and their price was some $1,500.00 more, or as I rationalized it, almost a years supply of gas.Thanks to those of you who helped in process of my decision making. This is a very good informative site not filled with whiners and seemingly purposly illinformed complainers so common elsewhere. I'll wave as you pass.
  • kavanaghkavanagh Member Posts: 6
    I bought a 04 outlander xls and have noticed an annoying high pitched whistle coming from the engine on acceleration, especially at 80 kph. It only occurs when i have my foot on the accelerator. When I release my foot the noise stops. Does anybody else have this problem as the dealer couldn't fault it, but it driving my wife and i crazy. it's the only problem with the car, but we have to turn the stereo up to drown it out & have considered selling the car if we can't fix it.
    There is a TSB out for the '03 Outlander (I didn't check for the '04), that mentions a weird noise during acceleration. The TSB # is 03-15-002. It might be worth asking your service advisor about this.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    It looks like there are some minor changes for 2005. New headlights, taillights, and colors. Nothing major, but enough for the astute Mitsu fan to notice it's a new one. There's an optional manual tranny for the LS. There's a new Limited model, basically an XLS with all the fixin's. Also 17" wheels, where my 2004 only came with 16's. I don't know that it needs bigger wheels, all the reviews praised the ride and handling, but they do look a little flashier. Anything else new for 2005? I believe the engine and everything is unchanged from 2004. Anybody bought one yet?

Also, I got a crack in my windshield and the glass shop says they can only order a replacement through Mitsubishi. I hope that doesn't make it much more expensive. I'm enjoying the "free" scheduled maintenance, but otherwise my dealer's service has been less than impresive, so I'll let everyone know how it goes with this windshield issue.
  • sean3sean3 Member Posts: 158
    I just had my Windshield replaced on my "04 Galant and as far as i know, no car companies actuallly make there own glass? my damaged windshield did have the Mitsu diamond logo on it, and my new one does not, instead it says 'PPG', other than that you cant tell the difference,,dont know about $ cost, I let my Ins company take care of it..I learned that Comp claims are not chargeable items because they have no indication of drivers fault or skill (or lack of) so it should have no bearing on rates, But you can never seem to get a straight answer from ins agents anyways..Later Sean
    Well, the glass company I spoke to (Binswanger Glass) apparently didn't know what they were talking about, or doesn't have a very good supplier. The dealer said they had never been told that they had to order new glass. So I called Safelite Auto Glass and they had the windshield in stock and installed (at my house) the next day. $223 plus tax. I don't have glass coverage, it would have just fallen under my $500 deductible, so I didn't involve the insurance company. Guess it could have been worse.
  • sean3sean3 Member Posts: 158
    would have cost me over $400 out of pocket

I thinkon my car new moldings are required any time the window is removed, and that had to be oredered thru Mitsubishi directly which was probably $100 or so for the moldings alone..My lesson and advice is to get the windshield fixed before it comes unrepairable..I could have I just waited to long Sean
    "The U.S. will also get a new Eclipse Spyder in that time frame and a replacement Outlander SUV, a concept of which was shown last week."

Mitsubishi Announces Future U.S. Product Plans (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
    Looks like it wants to be a Nissan. I guess I'm biased, but I think the current Outlander is the most interesting design in the category. Some say it looks weird, i.e., the front end, but it has nice proportions, expensive looking details like the headlights and taillights (mine's been mistaked for a Lexus RX more than once). I don't think the design is what lost sales, I have never seen decent marketing for the Outlander. Sure "excellent" cars sell themselves on the merits, but a lot of the perception begins with good solid advertising.

In fact, I've been scratching my head for a year wondering why more people don't buy them. Anyone else wonder why Outies are so under-appreciated? The ONLY complaint I ever read from professional reviewers was lack of power (2003 model, and that was addressed for 2004 with 20 hp increase). Positives were the design and quality, automanual transmission, ride and handling, and now the amazing warranty. I honestly believe more Honda, Toyota, Ford, Mazda, Hyundai, and Subaru people would choose the Outlander if they had a test drive. Jeep, too. It's a different category than Jeep as it's not a "real" off-roader, but 99% of those chicks in Liberties (and they are almost all women around here) ever go off road anyway. The "crossover" type really is more suited to the vast majority of buyers who ought to appreciate great handling and fuel economy.

I guess we'll just have to enjoy being unique.
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    ...a high price, Mitsu's terrible reputation, small vehicle selection, and (almost) no dealer coverage?

I think there are more Isuzu dealers now than Mitsubishi's in my area (btw, I have both)
  • dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    did anyone installed cross bars on the massive roof rack rails?

This will make this thing usable for skies and snowboards.

I did not see any cross bars on Outlanders roof racks. Waste of money and aluminum for an useless trim.

Thanks for any input,

Dan
    I have a set of Yakima mounts and cross-bars for mine. I actually ordered them through my Mitsubishi dealer. They were the same cost through my Mitsubishi dealer that they were going directly through Yakima. I was charged for 4 mounts, 2 cross bars, and a set of 4 lock cores for the mounts. I don't recall exactly what the total was, but the system works great with the existing roof rails. You can go to Yakima's web site, or call your dealer for more information.
    I personally really like the Outlander. It's sportier looking then the CRV (along with a classier looking interior), roomier then the RAV4 and Liberty, and a better value then all of these considering the long warranty and constant rebates. The only one that gives it a run for the money is the new Tucson, but I think the Outlander has a much more responsive automatic then that car and the four cylinder is much more powerful. The Outlander is very underappreciated for its great combo of spunky performance, good fuel economy, classy and roomy interior, comfortable ride, good handling, and reliability. The only complaint I have with it is Mitsu's odd restriction of safety features in the 05 model to the Limited model. If you don't want leather and AWD, you can't get ABS or side airbags. ABS should be standard on the XLS and optional on the LS and side airbags should be an option throughout all the models. The dealers also seem to carry very few Outlanders, making finding the one you want very difficult.

If it wasn't for the lack of availability, I would probably be driving an XLS front drive model right now. Instead, I bought the Outlander's sportier and slightly less practical sister, an 04 Lancer Sportback Ralliart. Same engine, better handling, slightly better fuel economy, almost the same amount of cargo room, cheaper price, not as stylish and upscale on the outside although the tailights remind of a Volvo, and standard ABS and side airbags. This car was another one that was seriously underappreciated. Mitsu decided to kill it after only one year of sales :(
  • dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    Thank you for the tip.

I am planning to buy a used 2004 XLS, but I need a complete roof rack for the winter sports gears.

Did not see any OUTL on the roads having cross bars on the roof rack, and this was the only inconvenient I had about this car. Otherwise it perfectly fits my needs.

I will look for the Yakima's.

Dan
    Those crossbars and mounts are always on eBay. If you watch you can do OK. You need the late style Lowrider mounts for the Outlander. The crossbars come in several lengths. I got my mounts for $50 shipped. Used but barely. I bought heavy electrical conduit for the crossbars. Much heavier than the Yakima item. Not plastic coated though. Get some rubber endcaps and you are good to go...You need many bungies too!
    I know Yakima also offers accesories that will work with their cross bars that are specifically designed to carry skis or snowboards or bikes or whatever. I bought the cross bars for 2 reasons - to carry a canoe, and to work with a roof top cargo carrier.

Charley9 is correct - Ebay is typically a good place to look for these kinds of things.
    Have any Outlander owners had any problems to report yet? I have 20,000 miles on my '03 AWD. The only problem I have had so far is a goofy sounding exhaust noise that was corrected under a TSB.
    Did they say what part of the exhaust was causing the noise? When it was new, my '04 semed to make a chugging noise when it was first started. It seems to have cleared up with mileage. Sounded almost like an exhaust leak. Took about 20 seconds for it to go away. Also if anyone hears anything odd around the front of the engine, timing case area, take it in. I had this odd cackling (?) sound since new and it took a timing belt, a tensioner, an idler pulley and an oil pump to get rid of it. I don't think the oil pump had anything to do with it though. I was alerted by some messages on the EVO/Ralliart Lancer board about some of the MIVECS making odd timing case sounds and Mitsu was replacing belts etc with no questions asked. They sure took care of me well. Excellent service. Hey, "best backed cars in the world". What else could they do?
    I think it was a couple of exhaust flanges and the front section of pipe. They just put the item #'s on the bill and a brief description. 3 parts total. They took care of me as well. Gave me a loaner and everything. Just to expand some, the noise only occured during acceleration, and it sounded like there was a loose exhaust component (towards the front of the car) vibrating. My dealer handed me a stack of $12.95 oil change coupons a while back, and every time I use one he hands me another. When it comes time to buy the next vehicle they will definitely get first shot at my business provided they have a model that I like at the time.
    I agree with you. I was also looking for a Ralliart wagon initially, but decided on an Outlander for about the same money. I already had a 2002 Lancer, great car, so I was very interested in the Ralliart wagon). However my wife and I both liked the tall SUV ride height. Also, they didn't make the wagon available with a manual transmission, so if I had to settle for an automatic, I figured we might as well go for the Outlander.
    I also used to own an 02 Lancer OZ Rally. Which model did you own and do you still have it? It provided me 31k of trouble free operation before I traded it in. I still regret trading it. It only saw the dealer twice for repairs: once to repaint the driverside lower body cladding due to flaking off at only 1k and once to install a special screen in the wiper mount area to keep debris from getting in the evaporator box, which clogged the AC drain hose 3 times and soaked the passenger footwell. Otherwise, it was a flawless car. Mitsu picked a great car to base the Outlander on.
    I had an 02 LS. Blue. Bought is used, 15K on the odometer, and put another 25K trouble free miles. Traded for a minivan last fall after we ended up adopting three boys at once. We could barely fit three car seats across the back row in the Outlander. The van (2004 Nissan Quest) just has so much room, and tons of standard safety features not on my Outlander, and was a great price. But I am a big Mitsu fan, if they made a minivan I'd have given it a good look. I suppose an Endeavor might have been roomy enough across the back for three, but I think the van will serve us better in the long run. With three rows, there's room to bring along grandparents, and maybe even another baby if we're lucky.
  • kavanaghkavanagh Member Posts: 6
    I've also been wondering why Outlanders aren't selling well , and agree with you regarding outlander advertising letting its sales down. In Australia they have really lame tv ads and the newspaper adverts show pictures of the 03 model when flogging 05 cars, they don't even bother getting the picture right! The other compact SUV'S TV ads show the cars being put through their paces in extreme conditions, which obviously appeals to the masses, as their sales have shown. We drove all the competitors before buying our XLS in October 04, none of them came close to matching its style, performance, and value for money. We're delighted, and enjoy the fact that you don't see heaps of them around!
    Has Mitsubishi run any promotions to extend the warranty to five years like they are currently doing through March in New Zealand?

Maybe this will help sales in North America:

Retail Whiz David Schembri Jumps From Mercedes to Mitsubishi (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
This discussion has been closed.