Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Outlander

Comments

• kavanaghkavanagh Member Posts: 6
    In Australia, Mitsubishi offer the 5 year warranty & 10 on the drivetrain to the original purchaser + they throw in $1000 of free fuel!Driveaway price for the LS is $30,880. This started a month after I bought mine, wish I'd known about these deals, I would've waited!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Never fails. Your luck sounds like mine!

Steve, Host
  • chrispvchrispv Member Posts: 1
    Looking at two 03 Outlanders. One has AWD and the other is front wheel drive. I live in Wisconsin and wonder how the front wheel drive handles in the snow. There is a big price difference ($1,000) between the two and I need to know if I should even consider the front wheel drive.
  • charley9charley9 Member Posts: 48
    I live in a "Lake Effect" area of PA and would not even consider the front wheeler. My AWD Outlander and it's earlier brethren Expo and Vista have given me peace of mind and confidence for 16 Winters. They simply go and that IMHO is worth the extra price. The $1000 difference sounds a bit steep though. I would think more like $7-800 on like models?
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    One thing to remember is that the AWD model might be easier to resale - and you should recoup some of the upcharge at resale that the AWD costs.
  • russel720russel720 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2003 Outlander in November 2004. Currently have 3400 miles on the vehicle. So far, very happy with my purchase. This is the XLS with sunroof and sound package. It could use a bit more power, but am getting use to this level. Sometimes, a person buys based on specs. and reviews that don't have much real world values. My decision was made after looking at Hyundai, Nissan X-trail, Honda CRV. As you can imagine, there was quite a discount on a new 2 year old vehicle (the 2005 models were arriving) and I couldn't justify the $8000 - $10000 difference with the above listed vehicle.

In the past 4 months, I have the following thoughts on this vehicle. First, is problems squeaky suspension (bushings) which is getting fixed next week under warranty. Fuel mileage is disappointing but will improve with more miles on the vehicles.

Live in the Candian prairies, so not much concern about mountains, long grades and passing on 2 lane highways. Most of my driving is in the city where the torque from start to 50 KPH is just great. Went to see my daughter in Calgary, Alberta shortly after the purchase. Four lane highway all the way. Top speed when passing was approx. 140 to 150 KPH (90 MPH). Might take a while to get up there, but definitly fast enough to cost lots of money for a ticket. Expectations are also a big part of ownership. Years ago I drove a 240D MB. This car had about 65 HP (I think), was as slow as molasses in January, and made you aware of the fact that you only pulled out to pass when safe to do so.

The ride is great, the stereo great for my older ears, very quiet on the highway for both wind and road noise, easy to get in and out of,good view of the road.

This is the AWD model. This winter, had to plough snow in the city where the bottom of the car was dragging. Absoluteyl no problems. If I had been driving my 1990 Legend, there would have been either a shovel or tow truck in my future.

Nice to see that this forum is active again. Will post again later as the miles accumulate.
  • carolhcarolh Member Posts: 8
    I have a noisy tapping sound under the hood when the car is running. I brought it in to the dealer and I was told that my belts were squeaking. They sprayed the belts and the sound came back right away. I also have alot of creaking in the shocks when I go over bumps. I think it might be my rubber gromits because my last mitsubishi had the same problem. The creaking only began 1 month ago when I had 8,000 miles on the car. Can anyone relate?
    If it's a MIVEC expect some lifter noise. They used the adjustable mechanical lifters on those engines. Also check the injectors to make sure a solenoid isn't hanging a tad. A can of Techron might cure it if it is a sticky injector. Make sure the noise is not coming from the timing case. Some MIVEC's had glitchy timing belt tensioners and/or idler pulley's. Mine did and Mitsu fixed it. You neeed a stethoscope to isolate the noise. If it is MIVEC I would bet on a lifter...?? Silikroil is great for squeaky rubber bushings. I think Mitsu had a TSB on that though..
    Thanks for getting back to me with some advice.
    I drive an outlander xls awd with the mivec engine
    you mentioned. The sound is a tin like tapping that is there all the time. I can hear it from inside the car sometimes. When you are standing outside the car it makes the car sound cheap,
    noisy, and muck older then it is. Don't get me wrong, I like my car but this problem is a bit annoying. Also, is your steering very sensitive? Sometimes I find it a bit hard to stay
    within my lane because any slight movement of the wheel moves the car.
    I could not agree more. I too hate engine noises that don't belong. Check the build date on the ID plate on your door. If its around June of 2004 I would definitely get a stethoscope on that timing case and be sure that noise is not coming from within. . Its probably a lifter or an injector though. Does it go away when you rev it? Worst case would be a loose piston. Your dealer should be on top of this. If not, call Mitsu and ask them to give that dealer some direction. My steering is pretty much right on. There were some pulling/drifting problems with the 2003 models but there was a TSB on that.. Again, if your build date is early you might be covered under that. It's probably one of two things. Maybe tire pressures? High tire pressure can make things a bit skittish. It may be a camber problem too. I think someone told me the Mitsu cure for the 03 pulling problem was to install camber bolts in the front struts and realign the wheels. Mitsu AWD has a touch of sensitivity anyway and the wheel alignment has to be spot on. Especially the camber. I am shopping for camber bolts for mine right now. I'll probably get it aligned next year and it's a lot cheaper to go in with the bolts installed.
  • sean3sean3 Member Posts: 158
    Hi, I have A 2004 Galant with the 2.4 mivec, can anybody elaborate on the funny noises? Mine sounds similar to the outlander you have mentioned. I have noticed idle speed and engine temp. make a difference vs the cold winter mornings,I would say mine sounds "older" when warmed up? at idle with some kind of chugging/pinging metalic noise. 2 or 3 different sounds at different times, but most noticeable outside of the car, especially when ideling fully warmed up. The noises arent exactly bad, but for a '04 car. My sisters 98 Cavalier w/110K miles makes no such noise, A post mentioned a timing belt, tensioner,pulley, oil pump? should I drop It off at the dealer and let them figure it out? otherwise our Galant has been trouble free. Thanks Sean
    The Mitsubishi dealer tells me the high pitched whistle I've been hearing is totally normal for the 04 model and is due to complexities of the 4wd system? He tells me that all outlanders have this noise on acceleration, is this true?
    I'm sure the noise is in the throttle body or somewhere in the engine.I've also got a rattle in the drivers door where the top of the door and the b pillar meet. They've had the car twice and still haven't figured it out.
    Well my Galant is certainly not a 4wd.And still has the odd engine noise, as far as pillar noise, the Galant had has no interior rattles/noises, and I drive it alot. If anyone can elaborate on the noises and what they are, in my case they do not seem to effect driveability, although it idles very low when warmed, and thats when the noise seems to creep up. Thanks Sean
    You have just described the engine noise I had before they changed the timing belt, idler pulley and the tensioner. Oh and the oil pump. I'm certain the oil pump had nothing to do with it though. I was alerted to this problem by some posts on one of the EVO boards that also discusses the Ralliart Lancer which uses the MIVEC 2.4. If you live near Erie PA take it to the Mitsu dealer there. They fix stuff without questions and excuses.
    My Outlander makes no whistling noise. That sounds like a dealer blow off to me. If they won't do anything I would thank them for trying and inform them that I was going to call Mitsu and inquire about the noise problem....
    I was wondering if the noise was valve related, but the way you desscribe it does not sound like it is in the actual engine area. When you mentioned tensioner, are you talking about the drive belt tensioner or the timing belt tensioner or both? Ya, the oil pump seems like it wouldn't be part of the noise, I am kind of concerned if this has or is doing any damage or wear on the motor, considering i have put quite a few miles on this Mivec 2.4 .I payed extra attention today and slightly raising the idle speed seems to smooth it out a little. do you know if there is a TSB# or anything I could mention to the dealer? thanks, Sean
    In my case they replaced the timing belt tensioner, timing belt and idler pulley. They should also inspect the balance shaft belt and tensioner. I donn't think there is a TSB on this. I was suspicious of the serpentine belt as they have a tendency to be noisy. they will usually get momentarily quiet if sprayed with water. Did your car have the noise when new? Mine did. It just took me a while to figure out it was abnormal.
  • brbrsksbrbrsks Member Posts: 3
    I have owned a 2004 AWD Outlander for 15 months. I have 8000 miles on it, and have had no problems with it whatsoever. The Mivec engine to me sounds a little "tinny" or "glassy" which is the best way I can describe it. It can even sound "cheap" to me at times, I'm not sure why I think that way but.... I do have a question about the transmission. This is my first AWD SUV and I wondered if the AWD affects the acceleration/deceleration of the car. It seems to ""drag" or "hold back" when my foot is removed from the gas pedal. Other vehicles I have owned will roll and cruise at higher speeds even after I remove my foot from the accelerater. Is this due to the AWD? Also, the transmission really seems to shift "hard" and fast especially during quicker acceleration. Any comments?
    You just descibed xactly what my 04 Galant transmission does, which has Im assuming a similar transmission t outlander (same motor), right when you take your foot off the gas, it already feels like it has downshifted, I think it is programed to do this, it assumes you need to slow down, and helps out by using the transmission to help slow you down and take some pressure off the brakes and to minimize nose dive, to me it makes a more "undramatic" slow down, I beleive these tranny's are learning transmissions but only in upshifting, considering my 2wd Galant does this also, and aslo by the nature of 4wd, It has nothing to do with 4wd vs. 2wd,, My theory anyways! Sean
    This sounds good. I remember reading in my OM that after unhooking the battery the transmission would act differently until it "learned" the routine again. I might also add that AWD is a little different. There is a certain amount of drag as compared to the 2WD models. When I tested the Outlander I drove both and you could really tell the difference. The 2WD had a free rolling nimbleness that the AWD did not. However rural Pa Winters demand AWD if you want peace of mind when that 500' drive has 8"-12" of white in residence!
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    I have a 2004 2wd. I have noticed exactly the same thing. Other cars I have owned tend to just coast along when you release the accelerator, like when you are in neutral with a manual transmission. But the Outlander "drags" as you have described. As if it had dropped out of overdrive, although there is no overdrive on this transmission. Maybe that's the reason, no overdrive so the engine revs higher when you're on the gas and quickly drops RPMs when you let off the gas. That is the only thing I would change about the Outlander, is the addition of an overdrive gear for better highway fuel economy. But I do ejoy the manumatic transmission, perhaps those are incompatible, so if I had to choose one or the other I suppose I would leave it as is.
    Thanks for the replies to my questions about the AWD transmission. So ,charley9, do you mean to say that my transmission might act differently if I unhook the battery for a little while and then reconnect it? Is there any reason why I might not want to disconnect the battery? My Outlander was driven for about 200 miles before I bought it and I think the dealer was driving it Very aggressively, at least he did during my first drive with him in it. Anyway, not to change the subject, but I would like to put a cargo carrier on the Outlander. what's the least expensive, and yet sturdy option for me? All suggestions welcome.
    All outlanders, any automatic in the last many years has overdrive, if you notice how many shifts it makes untill overdrive, as My 2004 Galant has this drag to, and has always, Im sure this is normal, but before it does this i know it is in overdrive by the upshifts. Maybe it is an emisssions thing also, since it effects RPM's, It feels like brake assist built into the transmission? Maybe Mitsubishi pioneered this! Sean
    since i put quite a few miles on my Galant 2.4 mivec, when it hit about 10K miles I had Jiffy lube pull
    the transmission fluid plug and get about 4qts of fresh fluid in, there is a nice size magnet built in the end of the plug,it had quite a bit of dirty fluid on it, though it looked clean on the dipstick, so about 8K miles later I had them do it again, and the magnet was clean as a whistle, I think the tranny "breaking in" like the engine does leave normal sediment in the tranny fluid, Thre really is no Transmission service outlined in the manual on '04 Galant untill 100K, but the magnet did pick up enough to where i did not want it in there for 80K longer, maybe im paranoid, but I seem to have a history of tranny failure on my past vehicles. I am sure the outlander has a simple drain plug on it also, clean fluid will keep the tranny cooler and longer lasting. Do not put any kind of dexron fluid in it, Either Genuine Mitsu Diamond spIII, Or ATF+3 which is approved for Chryler,mitsu,hyndai. Just my 2cents..Sean
  • mmendozammendoza Member Posts: 1
    My outlander has the two thick bars running along the length of the car....are these functional as is or do I need to purchase additional equipment to be able to carry luggage on top of the car? Is it ok to place a bag or two on top of the roof directly an d strap them to those two bars? Thanks in advance.

Michael
    It's my understanding that the bars running the length of the Outlander are not enough in themselves to carry anything on the roof. It is not a good idea at all to carry anything on the roof without some kind of "crossmembers" that would lift whatever you are carrying up off the actual roof surface. I know that there are a few different companies that make kits to install cross bars, but I don't know which would be the best and yet reasonably priced. I am hoping that someone reading this will be able to help us out. Sears has a 20cf luggage roof carrier for $164 that does not include any cross bars , but it seems like a decent price for the carrier itself.Thanks.
    Yakima makes the oem kit for Mitsu. You need the late model Lowrider towers and the crossbars. They can be found for about $165 new if you work at it. Better to watch eBay with patience and get some with low hours. Much cheaper! Personally I would be uncomfortable using the rails without some crossbars. I would fear denting the roof. That would be unpleasant!
    I was looking through the owners handbook and it shows a storage compartment that sits on top of the spare tyre. My xls was built in august 04 and has a full size steel spare but no storage except for the compartments on each side of the spare. I remember looking at other outlanders in the showroom and they didn't have it either. Does anybody else have the storage compartments?Is it only fitted with a space saver wheel?
    Also, my passenger seat has a storage pocket on the back but the drivers seat doesn't, is this right 'cause I thought the zf model was supposed to have map pockets for both seats.
    Mine ('04 XLS) has a very shallow storage area when you lift up the rear floor. It's not deep enough to hold grocery bags and stuff, but I can keep plenty of smaller stuff in there (a folded tarp, mini air compressor, bungee cords, towel, flares, etc). Under that is the spare, which I believe is full sized. Also I have just the one map pocket.
    My LS has the storage but does not have the full sized spare. Maybe the full size is one of the XLS perks?
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    has the storage, but a space saver spare as well. I am currently at 23K miles. The only problems to date have been the TSB for the noisy exhaust system (which I mentioned in an earlier post), and when I recently went in for an oil change (my dealer does $12 oil changes), the service advisor said he didn't like the way the CV boot fit around the CV joint, so he replaced it as a warranty item. It wasn't torn or anything, he just said he didn't like the way it looked. The service department at my dealer has been outstanding so far.
  • xe2acxe2ac Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I wonder if anyone has replaced his stock
    halogen H1 low light with HID units?

My '05 model has daylight driving lights
    using the same low beams (probably using a lower voltage on this mode).

My concern is if I go and replace the halogen bulbs with the HID system, the ballasts may have problems when fed by the low voltage mode.
    :confuse:

I appreciate any feedback
    If you make the change and there is a problem at some point I would not count on any warranty coverage on issues related to the change..........?
  • mizzou1mizzou1 Member Posts: 2
    I am considering purchasing a 2003 Outlander. The vehicle has an emblem that says V6/24 Valve along with a Ralliart emblem on the rear door. Everything I have read goes on and on about the 4 cylinder engine. Any idea about the origins and particulars of this model?
    Wow! If whats under the hood matches the badges I would buy it! It must be a non-US model cause I think(?) all the US models were 4 cylinder engines. Ralliart to boot? Buy it!!
    Pop the hood and see for yourself, but I am willing to bet someone put those emblems on just to look cool. I would worry about the driving habits of some little poser who puts fake Ralliart emblems on his car... The car has probably been abused.
  • mizzou1mizzou1 Member Posts: 2
    Hightower- You called that one. I went back to the dealership to close the deal and popped the hood for one last look. Upon closer review I discovered that it was a 16 valve/4 cylinder engine. There was a data sheet in the glove box from a previous dealer that had the accurate info. The dealer pleaded ignorance and claimed they were duped. We walked due to trust issues. I had forgotten how slimy people can be. Thanks again!
  • travelgurutravelguru Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of a site I can go to for external accessories for an Outlander? Besides going through the dealership. :D
  • bricknordbricknord Member Posts: 85
    Anyone drive an Outlander with a stick shift? Noticed that my dealer has a couple. Finally! Was ready to cross Mitsu off my shopping list ( would buy Lancer ES but no ABS, wanted a Sportback but no stick ). I guess I could live with the fact that although I would happily pay for ABS as a standalone option, Mitsu has decided I don't need it on an Outlander. Anyway, maybe I can suck it up and get one without ABS. Opinions on the manual? Incentives seem light on the Outlander to me as well. May just wait and see if 06 brings wider ABS availability and/or incentives end of 05 year. Insight on any of these topics appreciated! Thanks Matt
    I've never driven an Outlander with a manual. Too bad they only offer it on LS, but not XLS or Limited. Let us know how you like it after test driving.
    Alas....Mitsu....I have driven their products since the late 80's and they have been bulletproof . I have an Outlander now and God I wish it was a stick!!! It drives nice good MPG...Good overall but not 80's Mitsu quality. I suspect a lot of outsourcing is going on. Maybe they need to be more Japanese at this point? The next option I see for myself is this upcoming Dodge Caliber. Mitsu Lancer platform, Mitsu 2.4...hopefully stick and AWD. Very similiar to Outlander but with a local dealer!! God yes! LOCAL DEALER!.....Check out the Caliber and post your thoughts on how it might compare.... I'm looking for excuses to stray from the fold......
  • elgatolocoelgatoloco Member Posts: 92
    Well, you can walk to your local dodge dealer maybe, but I guarantee they won't give you the warranty that Mitsu now has. Of course, you will get that newly discovered,ummm...famous daimler quality.

My wife has an 04 Outlander & would shoot me if I tried to take it away. You know you can get a stick now, right?

6 cyl. 7 seat option coming for 07 also.
    I know.....Mine is an '04. I was kicking myself for days when the '05 manual was announced. I talked to the Mitsu place about a trade and it just was not a good move frinancially. I like my Outlander but it is not the car my old Expo is. Interior material quality is not as good. Engine is noiser. Mitsu has replaced the timing case components and the oil pump which helped. The excessive piston clearance is a problem that I would rather not have them get into....I agree about the warranty but wonder how long it will be before I have to drive several hours to find a dealer. Mitsu places seem to be subsistence shops surviving on used car sales. Worrisome at best. I figure that little Dodge will be good enough to satiate my Mitsu obsession without worrying about finding a dealer that is not over a 100 mile drive...I feel bad about Mitsu. They have built some amazing machines.
    Even a 5-speed auto or an overdrive gear would be helpful for fuel economy. Someone said before that the 4-speed auto has overdrive, but I don't think that is true. You cannot feel another shift or see the rpms drop. And when you slide over from D to "sportshift", the thing is in gear 4. Maybe 4th IS the OD? I'd like another top gear though, if it would rev a few hundred lower on the freeway I'd be doing better mpg. 26-27 is not bad for an SUV, but we could top 30. Oh well, maybe I'm used to bigger V6 engines that rev lower, and just and need to get used to the rev-happy 4. The fuel econ rating with the 5-speed manual is only one mpg higher, so the gears are probably spaced pretty close. But EPA testing keeps the speeds lower, I bet there would be more of a difference in the real world at 70 mph plus. It is an excellent engine and transmission, responsive and fun to drive. I just think it could be improved with a lower cruising rpm.
    You are correct. There is no OD. Outlander is a straight 4 speed automatic. And the "Sportshift" thing could have been shelved as far as I'm concerned. I have played with it and fail to see a benefit unless you want told hold it in a gear and waste fuel. It still downshifts automatically in that mode. Outlander is kind of fun to drive. It goes down the road straight and is responsive. Mine gets about 27-28 on Summer gas. My driving is 99% highway. My problem with the auto is just that...my problem. This is the second auto I've owned in 45 years of driving and my hand won't stay away from that lever! Next car will be a stick........
    People have been telling me that mitsubishi is very soft right now and they may go under. I just bought an 04 outlander last summer and this has me worried about my warranty and resale value if they go belly up (especially since I am financing this car). Has anyone else heard anything about this happening?
    I have a nagging feeeling that "soft" does not even get close to where they are. The US operations seem to be more like a disaster. I don't think Mitsu Motors will go under but the US branch is a real question. There were denied rumors about MM looking for a buyer for the US operations. The rapid denial makes me think it is true. I would almost bet Daimler Chrysler will end up with it if it goes. DC is heavily into Mitsu for platforms and engines so when it is just about to tumble they might well buy it cheap. Might be a good deal for them? Might be a good thing for us? Personally I don't worry much about the warranty. I would be surprised if Mitsu does not have some insurance company backing the paper and one would hope we would get some after market policy if they sell out. I would think the lawsuits would be such that it might be cheaper for them to pony up rather than fight......But who knows??
    I am debating on whether I should dump my new 04 oulander and take a hit now
    or wait it out? I am afraid that if I do not sell and take a $3000 loss now, that in a year from now that $3000 will be $10,000 due to the company going under. Due you think that they will close up shop this year? Where are you getting your info
    from because I have been looking on-line and have come up dry.
    I have no special sources or info. I have been following the published stories on Mitsu closely since the mess started to surface and the picture at least to me is regrettably bleak...Sites like Autoweek, Car Connection and the Detroit Free Press usually have all the press on car company fiascos. The press on Mitsu over the past year certainly paints a depressing picture of the US operations. They do seem to do better in Europe and some of the other overseas markets. Sounds like your about to panic......Be careful. Rash actions might lead to a bigger loss than staying the course.....But I could well be wrong?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    You are panicking and this will only lead to bad decisions and huge losses of money. To sell your car simply because you are worried about a company's future is silly. Your car isn't a stock. You would lose more money trying to sell it as a 1 year old car then you would as a 3 year old orphan car. Mitsu resale has always been bad so it can't go much lower.

Mitsu is under a lot of stress now, there is no denying that. However, they do have plans in motion to rebuild and restructure. There is no guarantee it will work but their sales are starting to improve and they still are selling over 120,000 cars a year, which is quite respectable. Keep this in mind: It took Daewoo 5 years to go bankrupt and pull out of the US market and that was an unknown Korean automaker that never sold over 60,000 cars a year. Mitsu is an established automaker that has been selling here for years. They have made some bad decisions when it comes to their financing branch but I'm confident they can pull out of it. It will take them a few years to get back on their feet though. The answer to your main question is: No, Mitsu will not be closing down this year and there is a very good chance it won't happen for the next 2 years if it even happens at all.
This discussion has been closed.