Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Outlander

carspy01carspy01 Member Posts: 137
edited March 2014 in Mitsubishi
Hello, everyone!
I would like to start this forum to discuss the next offering from Mitsubishi, the Airtrek, in the mini-SUV-segment. Introduced already in Asia, and just about to be released in Europe, the Airtrek seems to be a pretty good contender in the Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, Hyundai Santa Fe, Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute arena.
Let's rock!

Comments

• carspy01carspy01 Member Posts: 137
    ... to our friends in New Zealand:

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.nz/airtrek.html

• npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    On what cost would be in the US, and when they might come out? If I can afford it, it might be worth it for me to wait....I literally have a Mistubishi dealer within walking distance of my apartment...and yes, that is a factor when buying a car, since I only have one and it might need to be worked on.
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    The Outlander (Airtrek) was just introduced at the New York Auto Show this past week. It will start at under $20000 and the front end has been altered from the Japanese version (not sure it's an improvement).

The vehicle will be introduced here sometime this summer.
    I think the rear is mor improved than the front...I wonder how much they modified the interior though, because there's hardly any pictures of it. The site is saying late 2002, not this summer. And no prcing info yet. :)
    No engine data either. I saw that in NZ it uses a 2.0 I4, but this looks like a pretty beefy vehicle...I hope they'll offer a V6 with it. Mitsubishi HAS to notice that 2 of the best selling Mini-SUVs (The Escape/Tribute, and the SantaFe) have V6 engines in them. And I have NO clue how to translate the NZ ratings into horsepower. :)

By the way, Mitsubishi, Mini-SUV, and SantaFe got flagged by the spellchecker. Now I MIGHT be spelling Mitsubishi wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not. :)
    The auto show press release I saw indicated that this vehicle will be equipped with the 2.4 litre 4 cyl. which I believe produces something like 150-160hp. I drive a Galant V6 which is a great performer but I've also driven the 2.4 Galant and hardly noticed a difference in performance. The 2.4 was also quieter than my V6.

As for price I saw the sub $20000 price on one of the web sites covering the introduction.

I have no problem with the 2.4 in this vehicle. I have seen pictures of the interior of the Airtrek on Japanese websites and it is very stylish with two-tone interiors with a number of dash trims including red-orange, shiny black and wood type trim. A real upscale stylish look. I hope these trim options carry over to the U.S. version Outlander.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Says the 2.4 makes only 140hp.
    Think this should be changed to Mitsubishi Airtrek/Outlander?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    And here's a short blurb from the NYC auto show.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Yeah, saw that blurb. Looks like I'm going to wait for that sucker to come out, since I already test drove the Tracker (seats too narrow) the Escape (Handles nice, but too damn BIG!) and the CR-V (Tall station wagon...kicks bad on bumps, and there's a 2 month waiting list...the added horsies help though). Looks like it's going to either be this Outlander, or the Pontiac VIBE, which I DID like, except for it crapping out on a hill.
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    Looks a lot like the Honda Pilot and thus it is a good looking vehicle, in fact it looks more put together than the Honda.
    I worry about the size of the engine...this is a fairly large vehicle...larger than a Sportage or Tracker, and their 2.0 liter engines are barely enough to do the job. In the Vibe, the 1.8 liter pretty much ISN'T enough...has anyone been able to find horsepower figures for the Outlander?
    Ok, this is something that scares me a bit..here's some figures I gathered:

Kia Sportage: 2.0 liter 130 horsepower
    Chevy Tracker Base: 2.0 liter 127 horsepower
    Pontiac Vibe: 1.8 liter 130 horsepower
    Mitsubishi Outlander: 2.0 liter 140 horsepower
    Toyota RAV4: 2.0 liter 148 horsepower

It's got more than the Tracker and Sportage, but both of these look to be a bit smaller vehicles. The Vibe is a LOT smaller, and it gives out on hills.

Now, is it just me, or does a 2.0 140 horse I4 seem like not enough for something like the Outlander? Is there anyone on this board from somewhere where the Airtrek/Outlander was released already and has driven it?

*contines to pray for a 190 horse V6 on the Outlander*
    Checked the Australian website for specs on the Airtrek. The heaviest (4wd) model weighed 1430kg (3150 lb).

A Toyota RAV4 weighs 2943 lb., and with 148hp, it takes close to 11 seconds to reach 60mph.

And why does the U.S. get the uglier (IMO) version? Check out the Japanese and Australian AirTrek. Looks like a small Lexus LX470.
    Ouch...lighter, and it's got 8 more horses? So the Outlander is gonna be REALLY underpowered...this is not good.

Actually, I think the US version looks better, except for maybe the front grill..that's the only thing I'd change to the Aussie Airtrek design.
    The last generation Honda CR-V got by fine with "only" 140hp, also.
    Then why'd they kick up the horsepower in the CR-V this year? Even the DEALER I went to says they were underpowered until they got the HP boost.
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    The Outlander motor is a 2.4 litre engine, like the Galant has. The torque rating is at 157 lb-ft @ 2500 RPM. This is were you will find the power. Most vehicles do not reach there peak torque until 3500+ RPM.

I think this is going to have more power than people think. Just need to try it when it comes out. People who have bought the Lancer with only 120 HP seem to happy with the power. So who knows until it is here and proven.
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    One other plus and minus for the Outlander.

Plus: 4-speed Sportronic transmission.

Minus: No 5-speed manual offered.
    It's got that Shiftronic type thing that lets you shift the automatic like a manual. Probably not as good as a manual, but it beats auto-only.
    The curb weight on a 2.4, 140hp Galant is 3075lb. I own the V6 Galant but have driven the 4 cyl. and have to tell you that the engine is quieter and smoother than the V6 and performance was almost identical. Therefore, I don't think perfomance will be any problem at all on the Outlander. Personally I'm not interested in the AWD and would get front wheel drive if I considered this vehicle which probably would save about 150lb. in curb weight.

Looking forward to some road tests and other information. I'm hoping the interior is similar to the Japanese version which has multiple dash and seat trim treatments.
  • zircon2zircon2 Member Posts: 94
    I had a 93 Eagle Summit (Mitsu Expo) with a 2.4 L 5 speed, 130 hp. It was fast, powerful and excellent gas milage. I bet it is the same engine. Weight is greater in this vehicle, and 4-speed auto is questionable. The engine I had could scratch in 2 gears.

Had a 2000 CR-V. Ecellent build but total dog on power (auto tranny). Now wife has new CR-V with a 5 speed. Much faster, just like I remember the old Eagle. If Mitsu came out with this a year ago, we would have bought it. Ours had 130,000 miles when we dumped it; never spent more than 300 to fix anythting (I think we had to get a new disk brake). Great car. It weighteed about 4-600 lb less than this though.

Saw this thinf at auto show in Detroit. Really attractive IMO.
    I have to say that I'm not very found of the front end changes for the US version of the Airtrek (Outlander).

The Japanese home version front end is far more attractive. It's some kind of macho thing trying to give the US version a rough and rugged appearance with the thick vertical front. Maybe in person it will look more tolerable. Should be at dealers in August. My Galant lease is up in November though right now I'm looking at buying it off lease. I guess I must be pretty satisfied with it.
    Mitsubishi give some more information and specs on their webpage: http://www.mitsucars.com

You can register to get more info when available.
  • jaijacjaijac Member Posts: 1
    Hiya, folks. I'm reading about your concerns regarding the Outlander's power. I currently drive a '94 Mitsubishi Expo (anyone remember those?) that is slightly bigger than the Outlander and has a 2.4L Automatic, the same engine that was in my '93 Galant, and it has great pickup. It's been terrific for mountain driving as well as accelerating *fast* on the highway. One hopes the Outlander will perform as well.
    Mitsubishi is giving a free $15 Gas card and a CD for test driving.

Steve
    Host
    Thanks Steve. I could use a free car.
  • andil1andil1 Member Posts: 97
    I read in the Chicago Tribune that there is a car based SUV that Mitsu is going to build on the Galant sedan platform. It's supposed to be built in Normal IL and released in early 2003 as a 2004 model. Does anyone know how this model will differ from the Outlander? Does this model exist now in Japan or Europe?
    There was a spy photo of this vehicle in the Detroit News auto section. Not much clarity on the appearance as it appeared to be disguised.

This is a new model not sold elswhere and is specifically for the US market. As a Galant owner who is very satisfied with his vehicle I would think this may be a very nice product.
    Cay is right. So far the Endavour will be an US-product. Sorry, no spy-pictures yet.

The Outlander gets reviews in all magazines right now. Today's AutoWeek has a little article, as well as the September issues of Motortrend and Car and Driver.
    First Drive: 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander

Steve

Host

• nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    I think with 140hp pushing 3klbs, the car should move fine. But it will be even better with a 5sp and price below the matrix
  • mirde98mirde98 Member Posts: 95
    AS A VERY SATISFIED OWNER OF A 98 MIRAGE WITH 55K ON IT I HAVE TO SAY THAT I WAS VERY IMPRESSED WHEN I SAW THE NEW OUTLANDER. IT LOOKS TIGHT AND SPORTY. AND ITS INTERIOR HAS THE USUAL MITSUBISHI LOOK. SPORTY AND HIGH QUALITY MATERIALS. A V6 SHOULD BE A OPTION. AND THE FRONT END STYLE IS ALL WRONG. BUT WHAT'S MORE IMPORTANT THESE DAYS IS RELIABILITY. AND MITSUBISHI SHINES IN THAT DEPARTMENT. I CANT WAIT FOR A TEST DRIVE! GO MITSU!!!
  • th003gth003g Member Posts: 149
    i saw a grey silver 2 tone top model today... and I must say it looks good... front end in person is different in a good way... overall i like it better than the forester... and they may be bringing a turbpoversionover... the airtrek turbo r has 240 hp and its currently avaliable in places the airtrek is sold it has the same negine as the lancer evo.... sweet car.
  • tomj5tomj5 Member Posts: 209
    I bought a 1993 EXPO new and it has turned out to be the best car We have ever owned. The car runs as good after 150k miles as it did new. Gets the same milage (30 gpm) as it ever did. Totally trouble free. Only routine maintaince (belts, brakes, and oil). I have a 1990 Mirage (130k miles) that still runs great after 10 years of work driving. I am going to trade the Mirage in for a new Outlander. My wife refues to give up the EXPO. She says she wants a rebuilt engine when the current engine wears our (if ever). The 2.4L engine is a fantastic engine. Hopfully the Outlander will be as good or better. Viva MITSY!!!! Best cars in the World.
    Coming back to andil1's posting and my reply, there are a couple of spy pictures (heavily disguised though) on www.autoweek.com spy-section and in some current monthly publications.
  • bluemalibu2000bluemalibu2000 Member Posts: 25
    Having owned a 93 Mitsubishi built Colt Vista (same as the Expo), with 154,000 trouble-free miles, I'm looking forward to the Outlander. I've been looking at the CR-V, but since the Outlander is just around the corner, it might be worth the wait. Still not sure about the looks - I'm hoping it's not too station-wagon looking and more small SUV. Back to my Colt, it also has the 2.4 liter engine which still runs great, smooth transmission, and the car still looks new, well almost. Best car I've ever owned by far. It proves that Honda & Toyota don't have a monopoly on quality.
  • partsguydavepartsguydave Member Posts: 1
    Test drove the Outlander last week. Well placed controls but the stereo was a little high on the dash for my taste. XLS has a nice lumbar support on the front seats, comfy. Floor mats look like a must as the carpet felt only so-so quality. Upright driver postition like the SUBARU Forester with good leg & head room. I'm 6'2". The seats folded down gave an area about the size of my Dad's '96 SUBARU Outback. 60 cubic feet. Engine compartment is clean and open. Maintenance looks like it would be easy. Startup was sound and doors closed firmly without rattle. Acceleration was very nice from the red light to about 50 mph then became less noticable. 50 mph on up was ok but not brisk. 75 mph was attained during some passing but you would have to plan ahead. Slower speeds were pleasing. A "short" up-grade was attempted and no noticable down shifting was searched for by the autotrans. Occasionally some shifting was noticable when gas was pressed with authority. If you wern't paying attention you would might forget about it. Shiftronic trans in manual mode was smooth to shift as long as you had the rpm's in the correct range, should give GOOD control in bad conditions. Parking lot turning was very good. We have a double S-turn followed by a u-turn here and it handled them VERY well. No noticable body sway so you could take a tighter line in the turns compared to a taller MiniSUV like the CR-V. Braking was good and responded without lags before the nest turn came upon me. Sorry guys but did not attempt any 60-0 emergency stops with the dealer salesman with me. Overall Rating is Good. Handling = Very Good. Acceleration = While not as ballsy and blazing quick as a '02-'03 CRV I tested, the Outlander should be good for everyday folks and only ok for aggresive guys.
  • imnotpeteimnotpete Member Posts: 1
    You can now download the OUTLANDER brochure from Mitsy's website:

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/pdf/out03.pdf

• thrennersthrenners Member Posts: 4
    I think the dash is ugly. It does that sideways v thing like the Ford ZX2's does.
  • jeffrey15jeffrey15 Member Posts: 61
    Drove an AWD model today. Although I thought the car was very comfortable and looked nice, the powertrain left a lot to be desired. It was extremely noisy and actually sounded like it was weezing at times. Comon Mitsu, the car doesn't necessarily need more power but it needs to be delivered in a more refined manner.
  • cho7819cho7819 Member Posts: 20
    I just saw an outander on the streets today .... and from certain angles it looks like an RX300 (front and rear). Mitsubishi is very unoriginal when it comes to designing cars. Galant = BMW, Diamante = BMW, Eclipse = Pontiac, Lancer = Lexus IS300, Montero = Land Rover, Outlander = RX300...
    Montero=Land Rover?

• sam_1118sam_1118 Member Posts: 2
    Hubby and I fell in love with the Outlander, and purchased the AWD on Oct 21, 2002... GREAT mileage, love the feel and handling, plenty of power for normal driving, good clear views, comfortable ride and soooo sharp looking. Hubby has driven it on a 300+ trip twice, all major interstates, and it does 75mph very smoothly... love the cruise, keeps me at a set speed, since it is easy to find yourself going much faster.... nice quiet ride, unless you have the windows and moon roof open........no complaints here....
  • sfdriversfdriver Member Posts: 35
    What kind of mileage are you getting? Professional reviews have complained about lack of passing power at highway speeds, do you find this is the case?

How high up can you seat on the Outlander? Can you get within a few inches of the ceiling or are you sunken down, like in a Forester?

Thanks!
  • darcygdarcyg Member Posts: 1
    I took one out for a test drive this past weekend. The first thing we did is take it out onto the highway. We had it bombing up to 125KM/h in no time. I am not sure what the big deal is about the engine. We had 3 adults in the car and the getup and go was just fine.

Now, if we could only dump the POS Montana that we have. It is between the Escape and this one.
  • aklakl Member Posts: 1
    Power is not a problem. I can bust the CRV if they want to try. No passing power? I have no problem passing at all. 140hp with this engine is enough for us not to get in trouble. Oh.#47, the seat is real nice up and down and mitsu seat is always been good. Forester is a good car but seating, yeah the outlander. You will love it #47. Go test drive on the leather one and you will just buy it. #48....Escape have power but not the look. Your call.
  • sam_1118sam_1118 Member Posts: 2
    sorry for the delay in answering.....we have been driving in town AND highway, so we are getting 22 mpg.....will be going south for the holiday and will have a straight highway run and will post then........still LOVE the vehicle, but we lost a tire after hubby went over a pothole......did not think it should have put a slow leak, but the service department claims it is not a defect.......hmmmmmmmm
  • tomj5tomj5 Member Posts: 209
    The 2wd Outlander is smaller than the 93 Expo(best car I ever owned). I liked the outlander panel better ie, the radio. Speedo is good but don't care for the tach. Both cars have the same engine. I get 30mpg with the Expo and would expect the same from the Outlander. Love the Outlander tranny. Smooth as butter. Why would you want a manual option? It worked ok but, why? The XLS version is a must. Although I dislike the moon roof not practical in AZ(heat and sand kills the seals). It appears that there is no choice with the XLS option. Why? The luggage rack is odd looking and not very practical. The interior colors are limited and ugly. After market dash and seat covers would help. I would consider the deluxe seat fabric. Like the seat adjustments and the front and side airbags. Nice and roomy for a heavy six footer. Has the same great cruise control as the Expo. There is a tow hitch available with a light cable, hooray!! The getup and go was good. The engine and tranny work well together, just as the Expo. Yoko tires are standard (good tires). Over all we will buy one in the spring (let the bugs out first). My wife refuses to give up the Expo. Overall the Expo is better but out of production.
This discussion has been closed.