Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• dr2500dr2500 Member Posts: 2
    I was looking for a good intake kit on my truck. its already hella fast but i want it faster. I bought it from the first owner about 6 months ago with only 50k miles...yeah its just barely broken in. any suggestions?
  • hamiltsdhamiltsd Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know where to get a front bumper cover for a 1999 Ram 1500 Sport?
  • hamiltsdhamiltsd Member Posts: 5
  • redram1redram1 Member Posts: 3
    I think they are pinned. I have not tried to remove them yet but on another forum someone said that you have to take the door apart and yank out a lock washer from the other side or it will rattle around if you just pull it off.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Anything I've seen from Dodge on trucks has been adhesive backed.

Can you see adhesive material under the emblem?

Regards,
    Dusty
  • cfd428cfd428 Member Posts: 9
    I have always put a tranny cooler on all my vehicles. Now I know one is already on the truck but whats the best way to go? Add a new one?should I bypass the old one? and some have talked about a check valve to bypass the cooler till the tranny reaches normal temp? any way to loose that part if there is one?
    Steve
    2001 Ram 2500
    Reg cab
    4X4 5.9 360
    34,500 miles
    If there's a transmission cooler already on the vehicle I would hesitate installing another. Added line length and cooling tubes add pumping resistance to the transmission pump.

Yes, a temperature triggered bypass valve is highly recommended if you live in an area where temperatures go below +20F. The reason is that automatic transmission fluid viscosity increases as the temperature drops and this impedes fluid flow. This change in ATF viscosity affects transmission operation.

An auxilary transmission cooler without a temperature bypass can contribute to premature clutch and torque converter wear when operated in extremely cold temperatures.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    Thanks for your advice Dusty . I will leave well enough alone. I would hate to create bigger problems down the road, by my good intentions now.
  • katthomaskatthomas Member Posts: 3
    I'm thinking of swapping my 4.7 engine to a 5.7 HEMI engine and looking for information on the swap procedures. Does anyone know if the wiring harness and computer will need to be replaced also of will it just drop in as is? My HEMI engine is a complete factory engine and the 4.7 has heads blown or cracked with no warning. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance for any help! Kathy :confuse:
    Kathy,

The description of your problem with a 4.7 is highly unusual and extremely rare. I've never hear of a problem like that with cracked heads. Have you gotten a second opinion?

Regarding the engine swap, a 5.7 Hemi will fit I'm sure but I am not aware of the complexities of doing one. No one around here has done a swap yet.

Both the 4.7 and 5.7 Hemi come with the 545RFE transmission, but I do not know if they use the same rear apron bolt pattern. Although the 545RFE is rated to handle the Hemi's torque, there are internal differences that could affect suitability and longevity. The valve body is definitely different.

You will need to replace the Powertrain Control Module for sure, and probably the Transmission Control Module. The radiators are different, along with the front exhaust pipe. There are likely other smaller differences that will need to be addressed as well.

As far as electrical body wiring, the engine harnesses are different between the two engines. However, with that exception I'm moderately sure that the rest of the electrical harnesses are compatible.

To be honest with you, I think there's a lot of work and cost involved in doing such a swap on such a new truck. I'm very sure it'll be cheaper to swap out that 4.7 with another and a whole lot less work, too.

But I could understand someone wanting a Hemi.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • katthomaskatthomas Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the input. After looking all this over we have decided to have the engine repaired. So, that still leaves me with a 2003 HEMI Engine for sale. Any takers? Thanks again! Kathy
  • mrbill2004mrbill2004 Member Posts: 2
    Just posting some info it seems is virtualy impossible to obtain: Updated software for the RB4 Navigation Stereo (CD version). Contacting DC was no help, I was referred to the dealer, who had little more to add. Contacting the manufacturer of the unit, http://www.rb4navigation.com gave NO info. Eventually I did find the following: part # 05064142AA is the latest NEW CDs - Late 2005. I bought new set on e-bay for $98 and will be updating my unit shortly to see what might be new. I have 05091501AE dated 2003 that came with my 2004 QC Hemi Laramie, metalic grey, leather, LSD, 17 in wheels (better ride IMHO), Extang full tilt soft tonneau.
    Love my ride :shades: , 58,000 miles so far and getting approx 21 MPG mostly hgwy commute to work. 15-16 city. Any Nav update comments to add to this is always appreciated. previous handle- ahasher.
  • blarsony1blarsony1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any experience with using a SUPERCHIP 3815 Flash programmer on a 2004-2006 Hemi? I have a 2005 2500, 4x4, LB, Auto, Magnaflow exhaust, and tow a 10,000lb 5th wheel trailer. Looking for better shifting and power performance when towing hills here in Idaho. But before shelling out the 400 bucks for one, thought I would ask the experts....
  • blarsony1blarsony1 Member Posts: 2
  • bufordtbufordt Member Posts: 5
    The difference in performance is nothing short of phenomenal. The mileage is up also, but the drive ability is what is most impressive. It took 3/4 tank of gas to haul a 6000 LB boat 160 miles before the chip. It now takes a little over 1/4 tank to haul the exact same boat to the exact same place. Throttle response and seat of the pants dyno say it is well worth it. Also have K & N Cold air, and performance duals catback.
  • bigdukebigduke Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone experienced the dash that appears to be spontaneously cracking? I NEVER put anything on it, and now, after 7 years, I am watching it crack out of control!!! It was parked indoors for the past 6 years, and only the past year has it been outdoors (although I put up sun shades to prevent sun damage). The truck only has 57K miles...
    Is this "normal?" What are my options to fix it? New dash? Cover it with an aftermarket item? Patch it? Help!
  • dennisplusdennisplus Member Posts: 20
    I'm trying to turn my new truck into a show truck but there are not many parts for it.
  • ddf1ddf1 Member Posts: 18
    What kind of mods you lookin for. Your have many more choices than I do :)
    Well I want a Carbon Fiber Hood with hood scoop, Body Kit with a built in step, Halo Headlights, Bed Cap that opens straight down the middle. Any some other things. Just the hood is $3,000.00, Headlights are $350.00, Body kit for an '06 Ram which I have no idea if it will fit is $2,500 and same price with the Lambo Doors. And as for the Bed cap I don't even know if they make them like that.
  • christiejchristiej Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased the same part and am having some trouble understanding how to install the keepers in the holes that are drilled can you give me some hits as to how to install this captured nut insert?
  • rohrichrohrich Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 6.7 diesel with six speed auto is ther any one who has up graded or installed a flash program and if so what is the performance like and mileage wouldnt do it for power but mainly for mileage is it worth it . Dan springfield Oregon
  • nmattesonnmatteson Member Posts: 1
    hey ya'll lookin for some cheap ways to beef up my 4.7 already have an aftermarket intake. someone told me about somethin to put into the vaccume line, huricane or somethin like that.
    anyhow any tips are well apreciated
  • magnumpowermagnumpower Member Posts: 2
    The most simple bolt-on horses come from intake, exhaust, and computer programmers, these are all available for your truck. As you may want to continue to increase your horsepower you can upgrade your headers, throttle body, and intake (as in an M1). Unfortunately power costs money. The intake will most likely be your cheapest upgrade. The rest I have mentioned will run between $300 and $500 per upgrade. There may be some cheap additions that claim horsepower gains such as the hurricane system but the power gains you receive will be minimal to none at all.
  • ttop411ttop411 Member Posts: 1
    i want to change cloth seats in a 06 ram 2500 and put in heated leather seats. any one know if and how the wires need to be run to the seats to make heat work?
  • fourwindsfourwinds Member Posts: 7
    Hello everyone,

I was going to buy a set of OEM foglamps to install on my '06 2500 MegaCab. Only after I had placed the order, the parts counter guy at the dealership called to inform me that once I had installed the lights, I would have to return the truck to the dealership so they could "program" the PCM to recognize the lights for 90 bucks!
    Is there anyone on this forum that could explain why Dodge would not program the PCM accordingly at the factory? I can only see this as a cheap shot for Dodge to get a few extra bucks into their dealer's pockets....I only wonder what other accessories have to be "programmed" after installation so they'll work correctly?

I cancelled my order...just can't justify the $155 for the lights and $90 "programming" costs!
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The exterior lights are all controlled by the computer(s). If the truck was not factory-equipped with fog lamps, the computers don't need them programmed as they would then attempt to turn them on or off under certain circumstances when they didn't exist. The "bulb out" system also needs to know whether fog lights are there.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • fourwindsfourwinds Member Posts: 7
    Okay, I'll agree with the computer controlled lighting on the truck....but the Dodge engineers couldn't figure out an easy way for the vehicle owner to modify computer settings? Everytime I want to add an electrical accessory to the truck it's an additional charge to have the computer updated?? Give me a break.....
    I'm sure General Motors and Ford are on the same path, I just can't believe that with all of the computer control on today's vehicles there isn't an easy way for the vehicle owner to interact with (some) of those controls.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    I share your frustration. The computers annoy me to no end on my 05 Ram 3500. Example: because the wipers are controlled by the computer now, you can no longer get them to stop in the "up position" by turning off the ignition in mid-sweep - the computer finishes the cycle and parks them.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • jpadillajpadilla Member Posts: 1
    i want 2 know where the aux plug is on a Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie 07
  • densherdensher Member Posts: 6
    Did you ever get the updated CD to work? Would you consider selling copies of the CDs if they work?
  • fligersfligers Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 Long Bed with a cap (which I absolutely love). I am searching for a replacement tailgate that opens in the middle - saloon style rather than the standard fold out. I need to use a power wheel chair for shopping, doctors, hospitals, etc. We bought a power lift to help me get the chair out. At the longest extension we are having problems getting the chair lifted high enough to clear the support bar on the truck bed for the lift, yet low enough to clear the opening of the cap and then clear the fold out tailgate. A majority of our problems would be solved if we could locate a saloon style tailgate for our truck. We are even willing to have one fabricated if we had to. The goal is for me to be able to go out by myself and easily get the chair out. As it is now, I have to have someone with me because it takes two of us to get it in and out and clear the support cable on the tailgate and the lift swings the chair around. I'm usually pretty good at finding things online, but haven't been able to come up with what I am looking for.

Does anyone know if swing open - saloon style tail gates are still available anywhere?

Barb F.
  • leviclevic Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L. I have done a few modifications to the engine. The truck has Flowmaster exhaust, single in duel out. It sounds really good but I want more. There is an O2 sensor in front of the converter and one behind it. My question: is there any way to remove or eliminate the rear sensor so I can cut the converter off? I have done this to different trucks in the past but im not sure about this one. I dont know how to "fool" the computer into thinking that the rear O2 sensor is still there, or if I can get rid of it completly without messing up the computer. Tips or answers would be GREATLY appreciated. THANK YOU!
  • leviclevic Member Posts: 2
    The parts are called "Wheel Spacers". You can find them at pretty much any tire and wheel dealership.
  • shetorshetor Member Posts: 2
    Dad showed me this site...

http://www.bumpers-4you.com/

and asking for my opinion between Aries Bull Guards and Waag Front Runner...

(sigh) what's a girl supposed to know? help
  • mrbill2004mrbill2004 Member Posts: 2
    densher, sorry for the late reply. I did indeed get the AA version from ebay. To be honest, I don’t see any difference in the behavior of the unit, and some addresses still don’t get recognized, ,where I thought they should have (not new roads)l .
    i would not spend any more $$ on upgrades - if they can even be found, which I have had no luck - Dodge seems to have abandoned the CD version, and they wil not even discuss this unit with me. :mad: Even my dealer has no clue about it . I would highly recommend getting a good quality Garmin or similar stand alone unit for MUCH cheaper; That’s my plan soon. The RB4 is just a fancy looking stereo now.. .. Good Luck.. Bill
  • smkmup288smkmup288 Member Posts: 4
    I own a 1997 Ram 4x4. I was wondering if the 1998-2001 Ram Mirrors will fit. Ive installed some on others vehicles, and noticed they look similar in shape and so do the bolt patterns. I just hate them old big chrome mirrors and would like the newer ones so much better.
    Thanks.
  • cronike66cronike66 Member Posts: 1
    Ok so i got a standard 06 ram 1500 a few weeks ago, and i love it so by all means but im looking for some quick modifications to for it to make it that much better right off the back. and keep in mind im in school right now and i what come up with ill have to most likely have to save up for a while befor i can get it.
    Thanks for any help
  • tyrant_retyrant_re Member Posts: 1
    my dad just died and i inherited his truck, i grew up in the thing, and love it dearly, its all i have left of him, he promised i to me the day he bought it, dodge ram 1500 5.9l 1999...id like to fix her up and make her more powerful, idk if someone else posted this, but if someone could give me a list of stuff to do that would be really appreciated. i just got her running again (bad battery contacts sapped battery after battery) and id like to make her into something my dad would have loved...let me know please and thanks
  • loncrayloncray Member Posts: 301
    First, have a big wallet and a nearby gas station - the two will meet often! I've got an unmodded '03 CTD, but I've often heard that gasser drivers will put in new 'cat-back' exhaust systems for better performance and sound. The same applies to any gasser, by the way. That's where I'd start. Good luck and have fun with it!
  • gary1978gary1978 Member Posts: 1
    "burrito@campbell enterprises" email this guy! He is going to hook my 318 up. Because the two engines are the same block only 360 is bored out more this guy can also do something about your 360. I plan on replacing the heads with the 360 heads and having them shaved the .50 to increase compretion. Rebuilding with 4340 forhed steel crankshaft /
    H-beam rods / pistons / pins / file fit plasma moly rings / clevite 77
    bearings. I'm not sure if you would really want to do that much too it that is a lot of HP. But thats what I am doing to my 318. Will one day be a 340.
  • axle1axle1 Member Posts: 10
    What is the difference in the Big horn, lone star, and no emblem trim packages on a 2006 dodge diesel.
  • dbonearmdbonearm Member Posts: 1
    have you gotten any help on raiseing front end?
  • 1hotpro1hotpro Member Posts: 3
    Looking for a factory brushed aluminum brush guard .......My truck had one along with the entire off road package for 1994 but had a tradgedy and its all bent
  • 1hotpro1hotpro Member Posts: 3
  • countryboy1967countryboy1967 Member Posts: 2
    u can get u a set of 17"tires and wheels,tint your windows,put a brush guard on it ,some nerf bars that would make it look alot better. good luck. :)
  • pwarehampwareham Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have suggestions on bypassing the tree hugging exaust partical burner on the exaust system, so I can idle my engine. I am a hot shot driver and need to run my a/c at nites in the summer. If I idle, the burner will plug. ANY HELP!
  • jasonmortonjasonmorton Member Posts: 3
    I've been looking into adding a couple of 10's to my Quad Cab. Anyone have the Pro Box under the back seat box and subs? Just wondering how they sound, haven't seen any reviews on them.
  • ata3001ata3001 Member Posts: 30
    I have an 07 Dodge Ram 4 WD with the 5.7L hemi. It has the factory security pkg. How do I disable the horn from beeping when I lock it when using the remote? I tried the method used for an 05 Dakota, & that proceedure does not work on the Ram.
This discussion has been closed.