Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Ram Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    r6err6er Member Posts: 1
    I'm in Seattle, $9500 off sticker sounds great! Is that common? I have purchased cars in the past and done pretty good just knowing a percentage of what I should be getting off of MSRP. But now with the internet you can really get down to what it cost the dealer for a vehicle. Unfortanetly I didn't realize about the Internet Departments that these dealers have and how quick, easy and hassle free it is to get a vehicle within a few hundred dollars of cost. Although $9500 off sticker seems below a dealers cost for a 05 1500 QC 4x4 Hemi. I went into the dealer and hassled with a salesman, after 4 hrs we got down to $30,000 from a MSRP of $36,600.00, so they were just giving me factory rebate (currently $3500) and a $3100 discount. This is for an 05 1500 SLT QC 4x4 Hemi w/roof and leather, Big Horn Pkg, and Sport Pkg.(MSRP $36,600). Sounds like I need to hold out for more like a sale price of $27,500?? Anyone agree? Any recommendations for dodge dealers in the Seattle area? Yes, it rains here alot.
  • Options
    ramdaytonaguyramdaytonaguy Member Posts: 3
    I have just recently in the past month purchased a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x2 QC Daytona Edition. I totally love my truck, and even the wing on the back has grown on me... as at first I thought of taking it off. The truck came with the whole body kit, to include the srt-10 hood scoop and a borla exhaust. The truck listed for $36,300 and after rebates I have got it for $27,800. I figure that the truck with time will become a collectors item.
  • Options
    ajwoodsajwoods Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a new 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Regular cab. It had a sticker price of $29,750. The invoice price was $26,749. The Edmunds Adjusted True Market Value was $22,920. I paid $21,120 for the truck. I think I got a good deal. What do others think?

I do have 1 problem with the dealership. They have advertised in the statewide paper with full page ads and on the radio saying if you buy a new vehicle from them they will change the oil for life. However, they have told me they will not change the oil in my truck, because it was an internet sell. Any comments or advice on the oil change deal.
  • Options
    bedwardsbedwards Member Posts: 2
    Does the new chrysler employee pricing apply to the Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon. And, I wrote a check for a power wagon last week but have not yet taken delivery. Can i insist that the employee pricing be applied before i take delivery?
  • Options
    azkornazkorn Member Posts: 1
    Hello,does anybody know what the differense is between the standard 6 speed trans and the $400.00 option HD 6 speed trans beside the price??thanks..Andy
  • Options
    frankygfrankyg Member Posts: 32
    Yes it does apply to the '05 2500 Power Wagon. Did you sign a contract?
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    This has been a point of confusion since January.

The $400 "6 speed HD manual" refers to the previous NV5600 6-speed transmission, which is no longer available. The no-cost 6-speed manual is the new G56 that became available in January. There's no longer a charge because it is also standard with the Hemi, replacing the NV4500HD 5-speed manual there.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    tex10tex10 Member Posts: 27
    Howdy yall

I don’ know what should I get a dodge cummins or ford power stroke .I hear that dodge has bad transmission , 04 fords were bad and gm lacks power. Im 16 young and stupid .I have bulls need go to rodeos and buddies to get unstuck.

SO HELP ME :cry:
  • Options
    loncrayloncray Member Posts: 301
    I own an '03 Dodge Ram CTD 2500. Other'n letting the fuel get too cold without conditioner, I haven't had a single problem in almost 3 years with my Ram's engine or transmission. I can't speak to problems with Ford or Chevy - you need to test drive all three. I can tell you that the Cummins engine has one of the best reputations around - it's basically a detuned dump truck engine in a pickup truck, whereas Ford and Chevy use light-duty diesel engines. I've got the older 6 speed tranny, and it's been absolutely trouble free so far. Literally the only problem I've had is with the passenger-side grab bar being pulled off - and they redesigned those after my truck was built. I could sing the praises of my truck all day - but you really need to test drive all three brands before you make up your mind.
  • Options
    tex10tex10 Member Posts: 27
    I might be buying my friends dads dodge ram 04 3500 6spd 4x4. he said that only thing he heard bad about the 6spd the clutch go out about 90000 miles with lot of towing. but thats normal wear and tare . he detuned his engine to save gas since was getting 13 know he getting about 16.i got chance drive to the dodge under load and it kicks but.
  • Options
    markhootmarkhoot Member Posts: 23
    Are the changes to the new 2006 Ram in the fall when it first comes out, or are the changes a mid-model change down the road?? I want the new model with the changes. My local dealer didn't know. Imagine that......
    Thanks.

Mark
  • Options
    dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Older RAMs with the Cummins and the 46RE automatic transmissions had a higher incidence of problems, although in my opinion a lot had to do with overtaxed towing or hauling. Most of the issues on that transmission were due to punky shift solenoids and bad electrical connectors. Later RAMs with the 47RE were pretty reliable transmissions, no more or less than Ford or Chevy. The latest Cummins-RAM use a 48RE automatic which is rated to exceed the engine load. This transmission is very tough and durable.

Like any automatic transmission, change the transmission fluid and filter on a regular basis and you'll likely not have a problem. With Dodge trucks you MUST use ATF+4 in the transmission. Use of Dexron-Mercon will condemn the transmission to an early grave.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    From what I read the '06 RAMs get a revised and stronger frame and other structural enhancements. I think the new 6.1 liter Hemi will become available, but that might be later in the year. The RAM also gets a larger four-door cab which will be the largest in the industry. I think the suspension and steering geometry will be revised as well.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    jedurocherjedurocher Member Posts: 16
    I got a great deal last night.

2005 RAM 1500 SLT QUAD CAB(R) 4X2 SWB, Lone Star Edition, Atlantic Blue and Taupe interior, 4.7L Magnum

Sticker: $30,285
    Customer Cash: $3,000
    Employee Discount: $3,923
    Because they liked my wife and daughter discount: $2,362

Total paid: $21,000

The sales guy was great and the sales manager better...it had to be the best car buying experience that I have ever had! :D

If I can just figure out the daytime running light issue.... :confuse:
  • Options
    danvancedanvance Member Posts: 13
    I'm being told by all the dealers that you cannot get better than employee pricing right now on the 05 dodge ram diesels. Is that true? The price I'm being quoted is exactly what the dodge website is telling me.

Thanks
    Daniel
  • Options
    reuben1reuben1 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me what fuel mileage they are getting with the cummins. Please tell if 4x4, quad etc. Looking at 3/4 ton cummins, and wondering the difference in mileage of a 4x4 versus the 4x2.
  • Options
    I've got an '03 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab shortbed, and I'm getting 14.8 mpg right now - mostly city mileage, stop and go, and I've got both a high cap and a lead foot. I had been getting 16.5 mpg before I took off the worn-out stock Michelin tires and put on BFG AT's - my mileage dropped a lot with these tires, and I'll be going back to Michelins at the next tire change.
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Stop by MPG: Dodge Ram Real World Numbers.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    lucifuhrmanlucifuhrman Member Posts: 2
    Due to take California delivery of:
    2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 4x2, New
    Color: Flame red clearcoat, grey interior leather
    Options:
    26H - Laramie package (Hemi 5.7L engine, leather, etc)
    WPG - 20" chrome clad aluminum wheels
    DSA - Limited slip differential
    CMA - heated front seats
    DMH - 3.92 axle ratio

MSRP: $35,610
    Invoice: $3,1863
    Less: $3,500 rebates
    $3,100 employee pricing
    $1,000 Rebate for Chrysler financing

Final Price: $25,000 (not incl. tax, lic., doc)

Hope the info helps. Curious to know if any think this was a good/fair/bad deal

Regards
  • Options
    lucifuhrmanlucifuhrman Member Posts: 2
    Correction to posted numbers:

Employee pricing was $4693, not $3100. It becomes far less of a good deal with that change. Just found that out this evening - I don't take possession of the truck for four more days and have not yet signed contract. Hoping they try to drop a last minute bomb on me so I can feel justified in changing my mind on pricing. Think I'd ask for at least an addtional $1500 off.
  • Options
    aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    You should be able to get less than employee pricing on 2005 models right now. I'd shoot for $1500 less than emp price in my area. Not that you qualify, but there is $1500 lease loyalty, $1500 actual employee discount, and dealers are putting cash on the table around here. I'm looking at advertisements at $11k off MSRP to buy a 1500 RAM in Detroit area.
  • Options
    blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    I am in the process of trading in my '05 Ram 1500 Hemi with the Daytona Pkg. The truck new was $40,696 before:

2002 Ram 5.9 Off-Road trade in: $19,414 ( 72,000 miles in 3 years, go figure)
    Military discount: $2200
    CFC discount: $4250
    And because I was paying cash: $8,456 out the door, taxes included(deal of a lifetime)

Now here I go again: The new '06 truck is the best in class(for now until the '07 GM's come out as they say). The Megacab's back seat is about as big as Lincoln or Cadillac and the new frame is unsurpassable in terms of rigidity and quietness. The ride is like a dream. Gone is the bounciness and steering slack of the 02-05. That pesky Titan doesn't stand a chance now. And Ford, you better cut that contract with Toby Keith while you can because Dodge is coming your way. All Ford can say is well we sell the most trucks. Well anybody can sell, but is it a good truck. Probably not. Ford PR execs are hard at work trying to get the engine plants to get enough "Hurricane" engines available as Dodge is stuffing 6.1L HEMI's in the '06 Rams. Dodge says even though Ford are releasing it, the HEMI will still hold on to it's title for the most powerful pick-up. Word is the Ram 6.1L will have 400-410 hp and 450lbs feet of torque. On the diesel side, Cummins is coming out with 440hp, 760lbs feet of torque in it's new 6.5L I-6. They say that it will be the quietest diesel ever. This comes as Toyota is planning on introducing a high-capacity Tundra next year with 700lbs feet of torque at least. Ford is working with International for a revised 6.0L turbodiesel for an "unspecified" increase in torque and hp. No word from Nissan on a Titan heavy-duty. Looks like Dodge will once again get my money. Here's the breakdown:

The '06 1500 Megacab Hemi 6.1L 4X4 will be about 42 grand fully loaded with every possible option. At that price and today's gas crisis, expect to pay about $30,000 for this model. Even with this summer's employee and other pricing discounts gone, they still have to cut prices simply because the auto market is in the tank. I will be buying my '06 in December when the 6.1L comes available. Hope this info helps.
  • Options
    schmedlyschmedly Member Posts: 44
    BLKHemi, What source have you got that the 6.1 will actually be released in december. Or for that matter, EVER, in the ram truck. It has been rumored that it was originally developed to replace the V and then they cancelled the project. Next thing they are releasing it in the cars! I'd like to believe, but I have found no other source that supports your statement that the 6.1 wil be available in any of the trucks this year!!!
  • Options
    Note: The Megacab was to get the 6.1 in the spring '06. But since Ford is introducing the Hurricane 6.2L around that time, they pushed back to an late Dec, early January release. I've got my sources from my close friend who in fact is a "higher-up" at DC. Don't know if you knew it or not, the 6.1L actually was designed for the full-size/heavy-duty application around the same time DC was developing the 5.7L. The 6.1L actually was supposed to make it into the revamped '06 Ram 1500, but DC couldn't get the allotment of them with the MDS system which will be standard in the upcoming 6.1L. I've had the oppurtunity to read some of the specs of the 6.1L. Let me tell you, it's no joke. DC has made this engine flexible enough to handle up to 525 hp and an astonishing 650lbs of torque. So the 6.1L is in the pipeline for the Rams. As you know, they already have it kicking butt in the JGC SRT-8. 0-60 in 4.6 sec. You make the call.
  • Options
    I have no doubt that the 6.1 will at some time show up in the heavy duty series. It was supposed to take the place of the old V10 and then they shelved the idea for a while. This engine has been on again-off again for 3-4 years now. Dodge has never mated the largest available engine in the 1500 series to a manual tranny. Actually neither has Chevy or Ford. If the 6.1 does go into the 1500, any idea if that will open the door for Dodge to put a manual with the 5.7?
  • Options
    I surely hope they would stick that 6-speed from the 4.7L in there. It could knock almost a second off the 0-60, which is already great for a 5500 pound truck. And with the right rear-end, you may have a factory Dodge that could be a complete sleeper. Dodge decided early that when they modified the V-10 for Viper and now SRT-10 duty, that they were not continuing with the V-10 in the pick-ups but yet a big bore V-8. Enter the 6.1L. It's still shocking that they are going to offer it in the 1500. But then again, when the 5.7L HEMI debuted, it was only available in the 2500/3500 series. I thought my Mopar days were over. I thought us Mopar fans would be stuck with that gas-guzzling 360 forever. Then they decided to shake the pick-up world and put it in the 1500. I'm still torn over wether to trade my '04 3500 with the H.0. CTD, or wait for the 6.5L Cummins to come out. Tough call
  • Options
    I'm not sure there's an available manual transmission that will take the torque of the 6.1, yet.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    Was talking about a manual in the 5.7. It would be nice if Dodge would put one in there.
  • Options
    I believe that there a number of manual transmissions out there that will deal with the torque. It would have to be a pretty heavy duty unit like what used to be behind the old V10 or Ford's 6.8. The transmissions that are mated to the diesel units could be regeared. Its just a matter of if Dodge wants to make the effort. When it shows upo in the 2500/3500 you know that it will be mated to a heavy duty manual as standard equipment.
  • Options
    sparkyqhsparkyqh Member Posts: 8
    Hey all,
    Does anyone have any idea what a good deal for a 2006 Ram 2500 Diesel would be now that friends, family, employee etc discounts are over? Not counting the (measly) $1500 rebate, would it be dealer invoice? A little below? A lot below? If so, how much? We're probably going to be buying one this month, though can wait if need be. Any help appreciated!
  • Options
    cactus5cactus5 Member Posts: 22
    Hi sparkygh,
    Well I just bought an 06 Ram 2500 Big Horn Diesel about a month ago just before that employee pricing ended.It's an SLT Quad cab 4x2 4 speed auto trans. The MSRP was $38,380 with Big Horn Group discount of $500. I paid $32,380 of course I've been wanting one of these puppys for at least 15 years. The Fleet dept at Avondale Dodge just west of Phoenix really worked with my credit unions broker. :):) Hope this info helps.That Cummins Rocks ,get one.
  • Options
    Hi Cactus5,
    Thanks for the reply. Any idea how the price you paid compare to dealer invoice?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    "That Cummins Rocks..."

Last time I looked, the Cummins was a $5500 premium over the standard V8. For guys who just have to have the Cummins in their personal vehicle that translates into about $7500 in pre-tax W2 earnings. If you make 100K a year on your job (which somehow I doubt), that means you are going to work about four weeks to pay for the Cummins upgrade. You'll have to work a lot more than four weeks for your diesel if you finance and/or don't make 100 grand a year. All of this money and work for a liner-less, medium duty diesel that you are not going to even own after 100,000 miles? Just to impress your friends when you pull into the coffee shop?

Please don't tell me how you are going to hang a 2K plow assembly off the nose of this $7500 diesel to "help pay for it". That is an even more comical decision that a lot of guys make just once in their truck buying career.

Does any of this make any sense? Wouldn't seeing a shrink be cheaper?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,197
    While you are doing all of the calculations, you left out a few...

The one that sticks out most in my mind is Depreciation.

You have to compare resale between the two models, after a certain point in time.. I really doubt the two trucks will be worth the same amount at 2, 3, or 5 years.. So, the extra cost isn't $5500... It is $5500 minus the difference in resale between the two trucks.

And.. we shouldn't make any assumptions about a person's income (or weight, looks, hair color, beauty, etc, etc, etc..)

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Well, yes, a shrink might be cheaper. But he (or she) can't pull 12,000lbs of horses and gear up a mountain :-)
  • Options
    BlkIslandGuy, whyfore you attacking Sparky for wanting a CTD? I got one back in '02 that hasn't towed a thing, and only occasionally hauls wood and trash and camping gear. I got it because I wanted a reliable engine that doesn't drink fuel like a Hemi, and I liked the other 2500 heavy-duty stuff. If Sparky wants one, he should get one. So long as he can afford it (it IS expensive compared to lesser trucks), what's the problem?
  • Options
    Hi loncray,
    Actually, BlkIslandGuy was attacking poor Cactus5 who had been kind enough to respond to my post asking about current prices people were paying for 2006 diesel 2500's. But I definitely appreciate your defense, and I'm sure Cactus5 does too. Chivalry is not dead (I'm a she, though I don't know about cactus5 :D) , and yup I can afford it, though I'd like to pay as little for it as I possibly can :)
    Thanks again!
  • Options
    I for one don't tow ANYTHING with my 2500 CTD H.O 4X4. Heck, I use my HEMI to do more chores than I do it. YES, I said it. It's a show truck more than anything. I just like the fact that if someday I have to tow something, I'll be prepared. Oh, I can afford it. I afforded 2 Rams in 1 year this year. Like another poster said, I just wanted a more reliable motor that'll turn 200K miles without any major probs. People are failing to remember that us truck lovers are buying them for personal transport more than work nowadays.

P.S.- What does a shrink have to do with buying a Ram????????????
  • Options
    Kyfdx, you are right. I ommitted depreciation, usually the biggest cost in owning a vehicle in its first few years. Certainly the true cost of something is not what you paid for it but the difference between what you paid for it and what you later sold it for.

Moreover, I think that the depreciation on a Cummins powered Dodge is probably a lot less than on a gas Dodge. So, you get a lot more money you paid for the diesel upgrade back when you sell or trade. More money than on other options such as maybe the SLT vs. the ST, or a better sterio. A used diesel is very desireable. But even if you get back 50% of the cost of the upgrade it will be 50% of the $5500, not 50% of the pretax $7500 you had to earn to come up with the $5500. That implies that the true cost of the diesel was almost $5000 in pre tax dolllars, after later resale. IMHO $5000 is a lot of money for an engine option for a personal vehicle.

This decision is much different for someone who can use it in landscaping or some other business application. The diesel option will only cost an initial $5500 (with say $2750 being returned on resale) in post tax money and it will get much better fuel economy at idle (a big part of some commercial engine's duty cycle) than a gas engine, probably last longer towing skid steer loaders around, and so forth.

YMMV
  • Options
    johnandelainejohnandelaine Member Posts: 4
    *huge sigh* Okay, guys, we need help. Husband and I bought a 2004 dark slate gray Dodge Ram 1500 SLT quad cab with 20K mi. on it. Raised, automatic, 20" chrome wheels, blah blah blah...doesn't really matter, considering. Anyway, lots of custom stuff done to it...paid $27K after it's all over and done with. We thought he was going to need a truck for work (sheet metal work), and he still might, but we live in Palmdale, CA and he works down in Los Angeles every day, so he's driving at least two hours round trip every day, usually longer. We can make the car payments for sure, but grossly underestimated the cost of gas. Haven't even made a single payment yet and its eaten $800 in gas this month---no way can we do this. What are our options here? Is our only choice to trade it in and be very upside-down on a car loan for more economical car? Is that even possible? Help! Don't yell at us...we know we're dumb. :cry: :confuse:
  • Options
    Could you tell the board how many miles a month you are driving? My back of the napkin calculation is that you are putting 2500 miles a month on this rig or close to 30K per year. You are going to need some expensive 20" tires real soon. More maintencance will follow. When will the truck's warranty expire?

Sure a VW would save on some gas. But, maybe the issue isn't if can you afford the gas. After all the transaction costs (taxes, etc. etc.) I don't think you would save a lot if you switched say to a new Toyota that got better mileage. Really, isn't the question, can you afford to drive 30,000 miles a year to work AND own a $27,000 truck? What if you got rid of the $27,000 Dodge and picked up something used for $15,000 to better afford the gas?
  • Options
    That's true. We're looking for a good used car. We just went ahead and bought the truck without talking to anyone, so this time I am pretty stubborn about asking as many people as I can for advice so we do the "least" retarded thing in the end. I mean, we know we blew it. We're just trying to get out from under this truck before we put too many miles on it. I mean, what's the probability of someone taking over payments on a truck we haven't made one payment to yet? Not good. Thanks for your advice. :)
  • Options
    Oh, and your calculations about the gas are pretty accurate. We bought an extended warranty, so it's good until we hit 80K miles. We also have insurance in case the tire blows out, but obviously not just for basic wear or tear.
  • Options
    After my first post I gave it some more thought and came up with the idea of buying a CPO car. Given how many miles you drive, a 6 year, 100,000 mile CPO warranty seems the way to go. Believe it or not the Jaguar's CPO is the best. How would your husband feel about dumping the 27K macho Dodge truck for an 18K Jaguar X?
  • Options
    that won't be bad...but of course we have to take into consideration that if we trade it in, we'd have lots of negative equity to deal with...I guess that's our problem, eh? I think John could definitely handle a Jaguar, but I think the insurance would be a bit prohibitive. I mean, we're pretty young...he's only 20. :-) Thanks for your advice. We are hesitantly hanging on the new hope that a friend may be interested in taking over payments on our truck....hope he qualifies! Then we could just start over, as it were!
  • Options
    Hey bickislandguy,
    I guess the 4 auto mechanic guys that I have talked to over the last 15 years are wrong for buying their Ram Diesels. Of course they are still driving them and haven't hadn't had any problems. Maybe you should worry less about other peoples financies and more about your own.And please don't tell me how much you make, I really don't care.I don't drink coffee and didn't even show the guys at work my new truck for a month because when I did they all got real jealous. Which I knew would happen. Yea, let the wife drive it and she loved it. I'll show you the Dodge factory bed liner if you real must see it. Anyways have a nice thankgiving everybody from sunny 88 degree Phoenix AZ
  • Options
    Hello bickislandguy,
    Hey is that 2k plow assembly for snow? I remenber that stuff from the 26 years I grew up in Rochester N.Y..It's cool to look at and play in when your a kid. But I'm 54 now and rarely wish to see the real thing. Yea, my sister loves shoving snow in the winter for exersize. Me I'd rather go ride my bicycle.
  • Options
    Oh one last thing bickislandguy,
    What do you drive? I'll check back in about 2 weeks I got better things to do than play on my new computer.
  • Options
    nimravaknimravak Member Posts: 9
    Just wanted to find out what every one thinks of the deal I have come up with. I got a 2005 Ram ST white "work group" with a 4.7L 5sp auto, cruise, carpet, cloth seats and heavy duty engine cooling. MSRP was 23,400 with invoice at 21,300. With 6500 in rebates and college grad program that gives it to me a 1% below invoice, I am getting it at 16,300 out the door. I'm picking it up on Tues. and just making sure I did well on the deal. Tell me what you think.
  • Options
    I thought that the trucks only had $2,500 in rebates. I must be losing touch. Yes, that sounds very good.