Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• 375handh375handh Member Posts: 1
    I had a couple of questions on the Cummins diesel. What kind of mileage do you get driving empty (commuting)? Is the mileage much less when hauling a trailer (boat)? The window stickers on new Ram trucks don't list a mileage rating if equipped with the diesel. Can you get the 20" wheels with the 2500 series Dodge Ram? Thank you.
  • loncrayloncray Member Posts: 301
    My truck had been getting 16.7 mpg on the stock Michelin tires - that's a 4x4 2500 with a tall cap on the back and my lead foot. When I put on BFG AT tires, my mileage dropped to 15.2 mpg. I run mostly empty, tow nothing, and it's about 90% stop and go commuting and 10% highway driving. The newer, more powerful engines (mine's an '03, early common-rail engine) are supposed to be about the same mileage, and I've read numbers like 8 mpg towing heavy loads. A small boat isn't going to challenge the Cummins very much at all. Sorry, I don't know the answer to the 20" question, though I expect not since they're 8 lug wheels instead of the 5-lug ones on the 1500.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Cactus5, OK, you asked. I drive a Porsche. I bought a new Cayenne last December for five reasons:

1) its 6000 GVW means I saved about 30% on the purchase price because of the Section 179 tax break,
    2) since I bought it at a net savings of one third off the agreed upon price my resale will be fantastic,
    3) its AWD gives me the all weather capability I like
    4)it is the right size with nimble handling,
    5) finally, I liked the more professional Porsche buying experience (Do you really want to spend 40-70K with the typical sales guy who is so transient that he has a handwritten business card?)

What do I do for a truck? I have an 87 Ford Supercab XLT 4X4 for general hacking around. Bought it new, loaded for around 18K. I've kept it up with good maintenance and attended quickly to any body issues with regular detailing and paint as required. It looks great. BUT, just this week I discovered that a front frame rail just before it arcs up for the front wheel well is badly rotted. Sure, its been 17 years but frame rails shouldn't rot like that unless abused by plowing. I want to avoid the vibration problems of the new Ford F150 so I am now looking at a Ram 1500/2500 to replace the 87. Yes, I weigh my spending decisions carefully and with an eye to the tax implications. No, I'm not going to pop for a diesel (I'd rather put the $5500 after tax money into an emerging market bond fund and watch it grow).
  • cseancsean Member Posts: 1
    Is this a good price with the friends and family discount?
    2006 Ram SLT 4X4
    5.7 Hemi
    Premium Cloth Seats
    Anti-Spin Differential
    Trailer Tow Group
    20" Wheels
    rear slide
    fog lights
    leather wrapped steering wheel
    MSRP 35,400
    EP 30,600
    Friends and Family Deal offered: $28,200
  • cactus5cactus5 Member Posts: 22
    I never figured you to be on the SUV bandwagon bickislandguy. Do you need the AWD where you live? I gave up that winter wonderland stuff a long time ago. Yea put that $5500 into a market bond fund you bean counter. Go ahead and resell that Cayenne someday. I drive my vehicles until they die. I would still be driving my 95 Ford F-150 if it wasn't for the jerk who ran a red light in Aug.05 and totaled her out. You bought what you wanted and I bought what I wanted. Enjoy your ride, I sure do. Happy Holidays
    Thanks. Yes, I like to go to work early, stay late, and then go to the gymn on the way home. The only way to do that in New England is with AWD.

Now help me out. I'm going to get the Ford '87 frame welded but I'll dump it as soon as I figure out what to buy.

Does the new Ram 1500 have the same type of vibration problem as the Ford F150? Is the new Ram '06 frame an improvement over the seemingly same body style but different frame on the '05? Are they both boxed? The Ram seems technically the equal of the Ford but with much higher depreciation. I like high depreciation if I am buying used. So do I just pick up a used '05 quad cab 4X4 in summer '06 for, say, 21K? (They are now 28K new and about 25K used for the SLT version).
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    Yes the '06 frame is fully boxed, so Ford can stop using Toby Keith of all people to boast about how the F-150's frame is fully boxed. And the suspension revisions quelled all of the vibration problems. However, any pick-up from a Toyota Tacoma to a Dodge 3500 is going to have rear reverberation and tail hop if the bed is empty. But the '06 Dodge is a step ahead of the '02-'05.

I disagree with you on the depreciation statement. The Ford depreciation rate is much higher(about 22.3%) than the Dodge because there are many more Ford's on the road(1) and (2)the Ford's quality and reliablility has suffered as of late(J.D.Powers and Wards).

I had a '05 Daytona Edition that I sold last week back to the dealership for an '06 SRT-10 4-door. The '05 new was $36K minus $5200 in discounts. I still got $28,300 for it. How's that for first year for depreciation. It had about 21K miles on it.

Did you know that Dodge Cummins-equipped trucks have the best resale value in it's class? Yeah, that's beating out Duramax and Powerstroke and with better reliability and lower maintenance. I've got an '04 2500 4X4 Cummins TD Laramie and a '05 3500 Dualie Cummins TD Southern Comfort Custom and have never experienced the problems that the Ford or Chevy guys go through.

I got quoted $35.5K today for the 3500(btw, which has 32,000 miles on it) today because I'm in the market for the new 3500 MegaCab
    Thanks. I think you are right on all counts.

Dodge IS on a roll with lots of best in class features and the resale willl show it. Now if they would do interiors a little bit better they would be all set. (Take a look at the Laramie and compare it to a similar top of the line XLT, for example.)
    I agree, the interior is a little austere. However, one of my close friends has a F-150 Lariat SuperCrew with that great interior. Only thing is that it rattles like it is coming apart. So I'd take the less than pretty but non-rattling interior anyday.
  • schmedlyschmedly Member Posts: 44
    blkhemi, Regarding the release of the 6.1 in the Ram in late december, If they are still intending to do this, it has got to be the best kept secret in the automotive field. There hasn't been a peep and the month is 2/3 over. Even if they announced it today, it would take a month or better to see any at dealers. Word would be out if they were already on the line.
    The 6.1 release was pushed back until at least the 3rd QTR of '06, according to last months newsletter release to DC employees. DC has too many projects going on with the 6.1(ie: SRT 300/Chargers and JGC's) and they don't have the engine supply to supplement the higher selling Ram. However, it was slated to be released in unison with the revemaped '06 Ram in 4th QTR of '05, which is right now.
    Well the 3rd quarter of '06 will be the '07 model year, if it even makes that. Odd thing about that is I've read that the plant making the 6.1 is no where near capacity and only producing the 6.1 "as needed".

What about the 4.7? That engine can obviously produce a lot more power than it is ( if they can get 345 out of a 5.7). It almost seems as if they are intentionally letting it die. Any plans on infusing any life into it?
    Man I hope they don't let that marvelous engine die off. I can remember the days when you either chose the gas-hungery 318 or 360 motors. The 4.7 that was introduced into the '99 JGC has been a great motor every since. I can't understand why DC won't squeeze more power out of it. They did a little extracting in the '05 Dakota H.O., but 260 hp, that's not enough to move the needle unlike when they did the Dakota R/T a few years back with that monsterous 360 in that mini pickup.

I've got a '03 JGC Overland with the high-output 4.7L in it and if I can go from 260hp to 370hp without cracking open the engine at all, surely DC can massage the internals to get more power. DC, are ya listening?
    All of the gas egines that DC has in the Ram produces about 60-65 HP per liter except the 4.7 which produces a measely 50 per liter. Add 'em up, even the 3.7 produces a greater percentage of power.
    Guys, I plead ignorance on this. But wouldn't it be easier for them to make the V10 more available? Speaking of the V10, you don't see them much but at as an option wouldn't it be far more cost effective than a diesel? I see Ford dealers that just can't give away the pickups with the V10 yet to me that would be a sensible alternative to the Power Joke. Sure, you wouldn't have bragging rights at the local coffee shop and it wouldn't have the low end torque to pull out stumps. But for highway towing or hauling a camper down the interstate the V10 might be better, easier to live with and a whole lot less money.
    The 6.1 was being developed to replace the V10. It had higher HP and torque and less displacement. Instead the corporation was pushing cars (by the time the engine development was completed). The 6.1 was originally to replace the V10 that was strong, but ate too much fuel. The V10 that remains is the derivitive of the viper and has no coerelation to the V10 that was offered in the 2500/3500 series trucks. They have left an enormous gap between the 5.7 and the Cummins that only Ford seems to be filling and very limited at that. Fuel economy is a big issue and with diesel fuel costing much more than gas these days, they have lost favor. Both Dodge and Chevy has really missed the boat on this one. A Ford F250 V10 has a good chance of making it to my driveway in the near future.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Since this line of thought is really not on-topic here in PP+BE, feel free to start a "2007 Ram 6.1 Hemi" discussion over in the Pickups Board.

kcram - Pickups Host
    Would you buy the Ford just for the V10?? (I do though think you could get one though for short money.)
    If my choice was a comparably equipt Ford V10 or a Dodge 5.7 3/4 ton truck, there would be absolutely no question that I would chose the Ford. The 5.7 is great in a 1/2 ton and in a 3/4 ton "delivery" truck but not nearly powerful enough for towing or hauling serious loads. The Dodge lineup has a massive gap in power in thier trucks between the Hemi and the Cummins.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    I think "powerful enough" is subjective. I know a number of 5.7 RAM owners that very pleased with the power under heavy loads.

As to availability of the new 6.1 in trucks, because of current limited foundry capacity, i think you're likely to see the 6.1 first in a new-for-Dodge medium line of trucks. As you know Dodge hasn't made mediums since the mid-seventies, but I think they're on the verge of introducing 4500 and 5500 models. These will get the 6.1 as the base engine. But I think the 6.1 will be available in the 1/2 to 1 ton versions in the near future. Right now Dodge is waiting for the testing to be completed on their new 6-speed automatic transmission.

Bests,
    Dusty
  • edhguyedhguy Member Posts: 1
    I just got what I think is a sweet deal on my new 2006 Ram 1500 Big Horn Edition. Paid $20,995 + TTL for a Quad 1500 with 5.7L HEMI and 20" wheels. Only logged about 125 miles on it so far but I love it! My wife is afraid to drive it though, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. :)
  • yarber1yarber1 Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like a great deal to me...did you use Chrysler Finance and what was the sticker?
  • mazdax605mazdax605 Member Posts: 89
    Hey Guys,

I am in the search right now,even though I can wait a bit for a new truck.I currently have an old 1992 D250 club cab with the cummins,and a 5 speed tranny with 233K miles.I would love to keep it,but we have a second child on the way(August 2006),and even with the bench seat that I swapped in the truck to replace the jump seats the old diesel isn't going to cut it with 4 people(2 being in car seats).I had grand plans of getting a new 6 speed cummins,but even with my company rebate of 1% below invoice the diesels are out of my price range.

I just recnetly test drove both a 4wd quad cab short bed cummins 6 speed 2500,and a 1500 hemi powered quad 4wd short bed,and I liked the ride of the 1500 hemi better.I can right now before the end of the month get a 1500 hemi short bed 4wd with the thunder road package,tow package,premium power seat,trailer tow package,and trailer mirrors for $288 a month on a 36 month 12K per year lease,or a 1500 quad 4wd with the 4.7 litre,and the same package short of the tow mirrors for $276 a month on the same 36 month/12K per lease.These are including 5% MA sales tax.

To throw a monkey wrench into this I can buy a used 2004 1500 quad hemi short bed 2wd,with 38K miles they have used for $16k and change.I live in New england where snow is a factor,but I don't drive much(11000 miles in the last 18 months on my diesel),so 2wd would work.My diesel now is 2wd.The thing is,even if I spread the payments of the used truck over 5 years it will probably be more than the lease payment of a new 4wd truck.what do you guys think of these deals?What makes the most sense?I have about $3000 to put down on the used truck,but I would also spend about $1500 on an extanded warrenty on the used truck.The lease deals also require about $1200 in fees up front which cover 1st payment,security,and DMV fees.I could in theory keep the $3000 I have now in the bank making interest and use it for my payments for a year of the truck.I am really confused.

Oh yeah do you guys think the 4.7 will tow a 4500-5000lb camper?It is rated to tow 7100lbs,but how well does it do it?
    Well since you don't drive much, it would seem more pratical to lease it. BUT it would also make since to buy it also since you've kept your '92 for so long. When it comes to pick-ups, I prefer to buy them. The lease deal does look good, however, I was wondering did you get a mock-up of what a new one would run you a month? Probably not much more and since you have 3k to put down, DC has 3k in rebates that could save your money.

As to the power, the 4.7 should pull 4-5k pounds easily. I had a 4.7L-equipped JGC that I would pull a 6000 pound box-trailer with and it did it drama free. And my '06 1500 Sport Hemi 4X4 can pull a 9500 pound trailer without stress. However, if your objective is to save gas by going with the 4.7 vs. Hemi, just forget about it. The 4.7 may have a 1 mpg advantage over the HEMI at best, and now that Dodge has added the MDS system on all HEMI Rams for '06, it should be an even match.
  • bob_grahambob_graham Member Posts: 63
    I ordered a 4X4 Laramie Quad cab last week. Hoblit Haynes Woodland CA.

Navigation - Laramie 26 H Package - 5.7 Hemi - Automatic -Lower two tone White / Silver Med Slate Grey leather
    U connect - 34 gallon tank - Anti Spin - 3.92 axle -
    Electric shift on demand - side air bags - trailer tow -
    20X9 chrome wheels - Protection group -

Sticker $42,160 Price - $37,686 plus tax and Lisc

60 month 0 interest protected.

Also if the incentives are better on delivery then we get that as an option.

Seems like a good deal. Does anyone know what the incentives will be on 4/1?
  • n999aden999ade Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,
    can you please help? being english and new to the world of american trucks i need some help.
    i am just about to trade my 1998 ford explorer for either a ram or a f150, now i have the chance of the following.
    a 2002 1500 ram slt hemi with 137k on the clock
    or a
    2001 ford f150 king ranch with 92k on the clock.
    all i need to carry in my truck is my crf450 so power not a real issue.
    i just wondered which you guys would say was the better buy, they are both priced the same too

many thanks
    ade
  • n999aden999ade Member Posts: 2
    forgot to ask, how many miles is a hemi good for? (obviously with good maintance and servicing etc etc)

thanks
    ade
  • huevosrancherohuevosranchero Member Posts: 2
    Two weeks with the Ram CTD. Amazing truck! This is my second Ram and my father still drive the first (96' 1500)

sticker ~43K

paid 35 w/ 0% for 60 mo and first payment due in October
  • myrollamyrolla Member Posts: 1
    Well I am seeing if we got a good price.2004 Ram 1500 w 5.7. Towing pack/SLT. Only 26000 miles on it. Loved the 5.7 over the 4.7 and comparable MPG. Going to use for hauling horse trailer(Hitch) not 5th wheel. Primo condition. Paid $20,000 even. I can't believe it is even a truck when driving around. Totally smooth ride. Converted from all Chevys to the Dodge. So was this a good deal or did we get played. It NADAed for $23,900. From Dover Delaware
  • dfellersdfellers Member Posts: 3
    On june 28 05 I bought an 05 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad.
    Options include:
    Hemi
    3.92 gear
    Front tow hooks
    Mopar tubular side steps
    Sliding rear glass
    Power sliding gas and brake pedals(on very few 05 SLT's)
    34 Gallon Tank
    60/40 split rear bench seat w head rests
    Med. slate grey paint
    Meg grey cloth int.
    Power driver seat
    Heated mirrors
    Lone star package

Dont remember all the rebates, but only paid

$21,000.00 + t.t.l

Been told I stole the truck.
    sticker price was $32.925.00

But lucifuhrman sounds like you got a pretty good deal yourself.
  • charlieh88charlieh88 Member Posts: 1
    sweet deal please tell me where did you get this, I am retired chrysler employee and best deal i can get is 24k
    on 33k list price quad lonestar
    Just read yesterday that the HEMI is designed to last 150,000. Where Ford and Chevy are only designed to last 100,000 also depends on how often maintenance was done.
    Sorry, but I would be very dissappointed if any car I bought was designed for only 100K. I don't know what they shoot for, but I've never had a truck that lasted only 100K. Quite frankly, most people will get tired of thier vehicle long before it's usefull service life is up.
  • tex10tex10 Member Posts: 27
    i just got a used dodge ram 1500 quad cab 05. it had 28000 miles and i got 18340.i love this truck i wish i got a hemi.
    Got it at a big Dealer in Hempstead Texas. This site wont let me give any more info.
  • southernmel1stsouthernmel1st Member Posts: 3
    In about an hour and a half I am leaving the house to finalize a deal on a new 2006 Dodge Ram Quad cab WITHOUT HEMI that has the Thunder Road Package. They are saying that I am getting it NO money down, $766 a month at 22.5% interest for 6 years. Am I getting a good deal or do I need to do some more negotiating? PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!! I don't have much time!!! :cry:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    For good credit, you should be between 6%-8% for 72 months...

Do you have any idea of the MSRP or the selling price of the vehicle?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I didn't even know there was a non-Hemi Ram still available (other than the Cummins). What engine is it if not the Hemi?
    I have no idea. It know that its not Diesel and that its a 1500. Not a Hemi though. Its a 2006. We ended up buying it and so far, I love it! :)
    You would definitely know if it were a diesel (and that's not available in a 1500 anyway). I'm curious now about what engine you got - did you get the owners manual or window sticker?
  • breakfgbreakfg Member Posts: 1
    22.9% No way, the worst rate I have ever seen is 14.9%, and that is someone who had two bankruptcies on their report.

Run from that dealership as fast as you can.
  • tony1034tony1034 Member Posts: 32
    22.9% OUCH! I know loan sharks that offer better deals ...HAHAHA

I just bought a 2006 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad Cab SLT (SB) with Cummins Diesel. It's fully loaded with ThunderRoad package, sun-roof, etc. Window sticker was 46k. I paid 39.5k for it and got the 0% interest for 60 months.
    Its 4.7L V8 235HP :blush:
    It appears that you you don't pay much attention to the offerings or you only pay attention to the TV ads. The 1500 will come standard with a 3.7 V6 in the regular cab configuration with an optional 4.7 V8. The quad will come with a 4.7 V8 as standard. The only Ram that comes standard with the 5.7 is the 2500/3500 series trucks. Next year the 1500 laramie will come standard with the 5.7 and the automatic transmission.
  • iloveboeingiloveboeing Member Posts: 1
    Very curious about your interest rate. I know with the Employee pricing one can get 0% for 36 months. How did you get 0% for 60 months?
  • rattersratters Member Posts: 1
    Picked up an '06 Ram 1500 4x2 with the hemi and Bighorn package for $19999 from Folsom Lake Dodge is Sacramento. Was 22,220 out the door with California's lovely sales tax rate and registration. Wanted to pay cash but had to finance to get the extra $1k rebate, so have to make three payments and can then pay the whole thing off.

Was looking at the F150 but it couldn't match the Ram for features and performance at the price. Nice thing is the dealer promo had over 100 trucks to get rid of so I was able to get the exact color I wanted. Plus it was just built in 6/06 so wasn't a leftover hanging in a lot all year.

I've only put on a little over 100 miles, but really enjoying it so far, an incredible amount of truck for the money. Love the Sirius Satellite radio. Might actually have to pay for it after my year is up.
    You're right - I had no idea. I stopped paying close attention after I got my '03 CTD - I pay much more attention to news about the diesel engine. I must say, my truck was put together right - no mechanical problems that weren't my own fault in almost 4 years of driving.
  • bluewolfbluewolf Member Posts: 101
    Work truck with a few frills. Chrome wheels, Cruise, Cloth 40/20/40 seat, carpet and that sweet red pearl paint. $14999 + TTL. $5k rebate on 2006 and then some. ;)
  • hawk8hawk8 Member Posts: 31
    2006 4x2 Regular Cab ST Ram 3500,
    5.9 Cummins, 4 Speed Auto, 4.10 Axle Ratio, Tow Hooks, Speed Control, Folding Trailer Tow Mirrors, Anti-Spin Differential, Flatbed with Gooseneck Hitch Receiver and Under Bed tool Box
    $28,325.00 + TTL, Maxwell Dodge Austin, TX. How did I do?