Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dubbsy01dubbsy01 Member Posts: 19
    I have an 05 Ram 1500 quadcab SLT (silver w/ balck lthr) 5.7 HEMI,factory auto-start,sunroof, pwr driver seat, slider, color matched lid, w/9600miles on it. what should I be asking for it? :D
  • sdelellosdelello Member Posts: 1
    Trying to find some way to get Employee discount to save some money instead of paying roughly 48,000 for it any help would be great
  • chstr1000chstr1000 Member Posts: 32
    I live in Missouri and just purchased a 2004 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT with the Hemi engine & 5-spd auto, 20" wheels, brand new Goodyear tires, and most power options. It has 63,xxx miles and was a local 1 owner trade-in. It is white and silver outside, dark gray cloth inside. Super nice straight truck with no body work ever. I paid $15,000. Not bad for a truck that retails for over $21,000.

Thanks, David
  • zeniffzeniff Member Posts: 7
    Maybe some of you should consider Daimler Chrysler's stance on the environment before you up and buy their vehicles. Buying from a company that could care less about the environment doesn't give them any motive to change their ways. Check out these websites for more info on Daimler Chrysler's thoughts about global warming:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=119166

http://www.inform.kz/showarticle.php?lang=eng&id=147616

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6247371.stm?ls
  • rgilmanrgilman Member Posts: 2
    please say that you walked from that deal. If you singed onto that, you got screwed.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    "Not bad for a truck that retails for over $21,000". Not so fast. I think you missed the class on depreciation held over at the RealWorldValues disussion board here on Edmunds.com.

This deal wasn't bad only if you were the seller. Think about it, the seller got to use the truck for three model years and 63,000 miles and only took a 34% hit in depreciation! Using your figures, you only saved $6000 from new and got a truck in the autumn of its serviceable life at 63,000 miles.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A local U.S. newspaper is looking to interview buyers who recently purchased a half-ton truck and understand what factors you considered before making your purchase. If you are interested in being interviewed, please send an email to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, February 6, 2007 containing your daytime contact information.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    There are four engines available in the RAM. A 3.7 V-6, a 4.7 V-8, the 5.7 V-8 Hemi, and the Cummins Diesel.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • frinkafrinka Member Posts: 3
    2006 Dodge 2500 leftover with a 5.7 Hemi V-8

FUNCTIONAL / SAFETY FEATURES
    Next Generation Multistage Front Air Bags**
    Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
    Manual Shift-on-the-Fly Transfer Case
    Power Steering
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    136-Ampere Alternator
    34-Gallon Fuel Tank
    Var. Intermittent Windshield Wipers

INTERIOR FEATURES
    Air Conditioning
    4-Spoke Steering Wheel
    Tilt Steering Column
    40/20/40 Split Bench Seat
    Rear Folding Seat
    Instrument Cluster with Tachometer
    AM/FM Stereo with CD Player
    4 Speakers
    Passenger Assist Handle
    Auxiliary 12-Volt Power Outlet
    Rear Underseat Storage Compartment

EXTERIOR FEATURES
    Bright Rear Bumper with Step Pads
    6" x 9" Black Mirrors
    Full-Size Spare Tire
    Cargo Lamp
    17" x 7.5" Steel Argent Styled Wheels
    LT245/70R17E BSW All Season Tires

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
    Cloth 40/20/40 Split Bench Seat
    Customer Preferred Package 26A
    5-Speed Auto 545RFE Transmission
    Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
    Folding Trailer Tow Mirrors
    Bright Grille
    Speed Control
    LT245/70R17E BSW On-/Off-Road Tires
    Tow Hooks

Sticker price: $34510.00 and I am paying $24,500. Interest rate of 6.25% for 48 months. What do you think? A Good Buy? :shades:
  • shallwechatshallwechat Member Posts: 20
    My 18 year old purchased his first new truck. Not fancy...a 2006 brand new Dodge 1500, standard V-6 with air, 17" tires, cd player, chrome wheels, cloth seats, heavy duty bumper, etc. I thought he received a good price....$14,200 out the door....tax, title and all! yee-ha! it was what he could afford to pay cash for and considering he doesn't graduate from high school until May, I think he made an excellent deal. It was brand new....he could have purchased 2007 model for same price but it didn't have wheel covers or cloth seats, and of course, wasn't as pretty.
  • smontelongosmontelongo Member Posts: 1
    i paid below invoice with no hiden cost or nothing if you guys want the dealership name email me at montelongosal@yahoo.com :)
  • docmark1docmark1 Member Posts: 4
    Just got a new 2007 Ram 1500 SXT 3.7L V6 standard bed, AUTO/air/AM/FM/CD/PW/PD/PM/cruise/bedliner/chrome wheels/Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle Sticker $25,400 Paid $15900+tax and tags. No doc fees. No Haggle price in Hickory NC.
  • mag540mag540 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased 5/17/2007
    2007 Ram 1500 Thunder Road Package
    sticker $36,987.00
    factory cash back $6000.00
    Dealer discount $4000.00

Paid $26987.00

Utica NY
  • dennisplusdennisplus Member Posts: 20
    I bought a new 2007 1500 5.7L 2WD with the Laramie/SLT package and paid $31,000. Leather Seats, 20" wheels, Nav. system, satelite radio, and tow package. Dealers price was $42,000. California.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    The dodge ram 1500 is advertised frequently the last 3 years for about 12000 off list. $14000 is not unheard of but infrequent in ads for the 35000-38000 models. $12000 off sticker would be an average deal.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • mwlmwl Member Posts: 5
    This month we have stairstep program to clear out remaining 07's. You can get to $12k off list. On the 08's, i can get to $9k off already.

"The Straightshooter"
  • baccefbaccef Member Posts: 1
    Earlier this summer there was a free Hemi deal.If the dealer still has one of these vehicles should the Hemi still be Free??
  • jlaine82jlaine82 Member Posts: 1
    I'm Personally in the market for a remaining 07 Ram. Test drove one yesterday that stickered for 34,000 and not sure what to offer. The sales person just offering the 6,000 cash on it right now. I'm in cincinnati ohio, anyone know of any dealerships doing better than that?
    Check out the last 10 or so posts

Good luck
    --jjf

I'm Personally in the market for a remaining 07 Ram. Test drove one yesterday that stickered for 34,000 and not sure what to offer. The sales person just offering the 6,000 cash on it right now. I'm in cincinnati ohio, anyone know of any dealerships doing better than that?
    Go in and offer 24k out the door which includes taxes, tags, license, etc. Are there "add-on's" like pinstripe, bug deflector, etc? Look at the sticker price first and make sure its 34k. If they tell you "no" give them your phone number and tell them to call you when they are ready and W-A-L-K O-U-T. It is your money. There are many dealers. I bought a Mega Cab, 2006 leftover with a sticker at 37,9K. I paid 25k out the door. I made this deal over the phone. Don't be scared to walk out. They will call you.
  • fueledupfueledup Member Posts: 64
    find out the true invoice. you shouldn't pay a penny over invoice, then subtract the rebate $6,000.00. and absolutely pay no dealer service fees. you just got a lousy sales person. insist on seeing the sales manager and tell him you don't have time for bs. so to clarify pay no more than $6,000.00 below invoice. if you have the balls theres plenty of dealer cash available to pay $7,000.00 below invoice. don"t be anxious.
  • bucktim1bucktim1 Member Posts: 3
    Went in (8/25/07) local dealer, left with no deal.
    MSRP ~36,500 -6000 (rebate) -4100 (perferred discount) = $26635 with trade-in. Owe 13,500 they offer 14,000 (excellent @ kbb is 14,300), I want $24k + TTL. Am I crazy for wanting that :sick: , also they didnt have any on there lot so they were looking online...I am going to give a larger dealer in the city a try tomorrow. They have about 10 on lot but only 3or4 I will consider.

Advice anyone... :confuse:
    OK......no, you are not crazy for walking. What type of trade in? How much did you pay for it? How much did you already invest in its purchase? Tell them 24,5 out the door which includes TTL....crazy? No. Why? There are plenty of dealers out there.
    With your trade wholesale and 10000 off you have almost an 11000+ off msrp deal now. The average would be 12000. (if your trade is more than 3 years old it probalby isn't excellent either) If this guy is the only one with the Ram in yellow with blue polka dots and with exactly what you want within 140 miles you may want to tease him the last few days of the month and see what happens. You are nearing average territory now. The dodge website shows dealer inventory and who has exactly what you want.

Also get your financing in order for local banks and credit unions to see the better rates you qualify for. Its silly to quibble for 1200 or such and give away 2500+ over 4 years in financing.

Go to dodge's website and solicit email bids from 10-20 of the dealers within 100 miles for the truck with colors and necessary options. Tell them you are soliciting 20 bids in the email. Phone some of the smaller ones with no internet listed on the site. This saves tons of legwork and cuts to the chase end of month rather quick. If you get lucky and find a dealer in a bind you maybe able to get 14000+ off msrp and better financing than your credit union.

Good luck
    --jjf

Went in (8/25/07) local dealer, left with no deal.
    MSRP ~36,500 -6000 (rebate) -4100 (perferred discount) = $26635 with trade-in. Owe 13,500 they offer 14,000 (excellent kbb is 14,300), I want $24k + TTL. Am I crazy for wanting that , also they didnt have any on there lot so they were looking online...I am going to give a larger dealer in the city a try tomorrow. They have about 10 on lot but only 3or4 I will consider.

Advice anyone...
  • bucktim1bucktim1 Member Posts: 3
    Tried the other dealer today, still no go. Truck MSRP 37590, in the end it was $545/60months/0%=32,700out-the-door. At first I thought I was getting -6000 and 0%, until I told him to do the math. They were going to give me 14500 for my car, 05 dodge neon srt4 36k. I still owe 13,300, paid 22.5k out the door(first new car, boy was I stupid).
    I wont do over 27k out the door, and I dont want to give up any options.
    My head hurts, have to go to sleep now.
  • phertelphertel Member Posts: 13
    You did not settle with a deal you are not happy with, so you have yet to fail. They have failed to make a sale. I know in KC, they are offering less off the 07's on the Rams (they all seem to say $11,500 off and that is without me getting into the fine print) but a lot of them are offering $10,000 or $11,000 off 08's.
    Good luck, and congrats on learning a lesson after your first car buy.
  • eltipoeltipo Member Posts: 21
    Looking to get a real good deal on an '07 Ram Quad Cab 1500 SLT w/ Sprt package, Nav, Tow, Protection, Hemi, etc. MSRP is 41,500. Dealer offering $8000 in rebates. I think I can get an otd price before rebate to 30000-32500. Am I nuts?

I really think you can play hardball with these trucks right now. Any help would be great.

Thanks, :)
    Is this a new leftover 07? I don't know, are you nuts? You mean for paying as much as you want otd.? The 36000 msrp 07 models sold for 12000+ off msrp all day long 8 months ago. I would want at least 13000-14000 off a 08 $41000 dodge 1500. Possibly more if the msrp increase from 07 is sizeable.

You should be able to get a new 08 like you stated for about your price or less, assuming 2500 or so is tax.

Lookup your 07 vehicle used on kbb.com and nada.com with 14000 miles on it. If it is new with low miles (1000) add about $1000-2000 or so to the wholesale used price for the price of a leftover new 07. Don't be surprised if you can work almost as good a deal as 30k otd on a new 08 amongst other dealers and your dealer won't play ball. They like to work these leftovers and demos for like new money. Its almost an ego thing.

Add about 15-20% or so (about 5500-6000 I guess) to the used wholesale 07 price for a target on a new 08.

Looking to get a real good deal on an '07 Ram Quad Cab 1500 SLT w/ Sprt package, Nav, Tow, Protection, Hemi, etc. MSRP is 41,500. Dealer offering $8000 in rebates. I think I can get an otd price before rebate to 30000-32500. Am I nuts?

I really think you can play hardball with these trucks right now. Any help would be great.

Thanks
    Yow! I looked up an 07 model of your truck in 4wd and got a wholesale of $20000. If thats right 30 k is way too much for an 08 even. Double check me.

--jjf
    I have not gone to the dealership yet because it is over 50+ miles away. Yes, it is a new leftover 07 model. Their website has 2 of the exact same vehicle on the lot. I am thinking $30,000 otd plus the $7000-$8000 rebate. Financing would be for the 22000-23000 range which I do not think is absurd. It is just difficult to price an '07 with the current tools available on the internet.

I also have a trade that will be part of the deal. '05 Wrangler Unlimited w/ 14,000 miles in excellent condition. I am sure they can sell it certified used and recoup some of the discount they pass me.

I am banking on a slumping economy, soaring gas prices, and a lack of consumer spending.

Thanks for your help. Where did you check the price KBB, NADA, Edmunds TMV? I want to go into this armed to negotiate.
    kbb.com nada.com used car appraiser. If a 41500 msrp dodge ram (probably 43000 msrp for 08) with nav and such`wholesales used in 12 months (07) for $20000, buying it (an 08) for any less than 15000-16000+ off msrp is financially painful. Your target for a leftover low mi new 07 (41000 msrp) is about $22000 or so. Somewhere around 24000-26000 on an 08. (preferably closer to the lower)

Forget about edmunds TMV on new vehicles. It is many times optimistic (for the dealer) and grossly optimistic for trucks. (I wonder what it is on a new 08 42000 ram?-- worth 20000 wholesale in a 12 months)

Check out my message 4681 on the hyundai sonata forum for useful info on how to buy a car. Forget about bringing in paperwork for negotiating. Get 10-20 + bids via email from dodge dealers last week of the month for 08s. Work the top 2-3 against one another, eventually via cell phone. If your leftover 07 dealer won't chop at least 2000-3000 off your best deal on a similar 08 forget about it.

Good luck
    --jjf
    Thanks for the help. They just left a voice mail - Invoice plus the rebates and wholesale cost for the trade-in. It is enough to get me to look at the vehicle. I think dealers have not caught-up with the slumping economy and it has not hit them psychologically yet. They don't know they are selling snow cones in Alaska right now. ;)

I'll let you know how I turn out.
  • sleukemsleukem Member Posts: 22
    Lookup your 07 vehicle used on kbb.com and nada.com with 14000 miles on it. If it is new with low miles (1000) add about $1000-2000 or so to the wholesale used price for the price of a leftover new 07. Don't be surprised if you can work almost as good a deal as 30k otd on a new 08 amongst other dealers and your dealer won't play ball. They like to work these leftovers and demos for like new money. Its almost an ego thing.

jfritsch,

I wanted to ask if the wholesale price you are getting from KBB on the 2007 Truck is the OTD price or whether you then add TT&L???

It kind of sounds like you are saying the KBB price is the OTD price but I wanted to clairify.

Thanks in advance!
    It would be impossible to really specify it with tax and title, the taxes alone would vary from $50 to $2000+ depending upon state and county one resides in.

I think from my other post the 30k is inoperative. When I looked up the used wholesale price of an 07 41000 msrp ram (avg miles 14000) the 20000 figure was a bit surprising, but not much.
    Actually you may want to try for a much lower price as I see today I am paying $4.05 a gallon. Also don't forget to aggressively try for prices on the 08, (my msg #4681 in Hyundai Sonata prices paid forum) as people don't usually have much success (although they think they do) with demo's.

Good Luck
    --jjf
  • patrickf1patrickf1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All
    I am considering buying a 08 Dodge Ram 2500 4wd 6.7l 6-speed manual. MSRP on the trucks I am looking at is around $44,000. It will be my first pickup and am wondering what price I should be able to realistically bargain them down to. One dealer sent me an e-mail quote of 33,500 so I expect I can do better than this but I don't have a clue how low they can go hell thats 10,500 off MSRP by e-mail how are these trucks priced??.
    Any advice experience welcome.
    Thanks
    P
    Read the last 10 or so messages

--jjf
  • cynar10cynar10 Member Posts: 10
    Can someone work with me on leasing a new Ram 1500?? I have a web page with a lease calculator, and here is what I'm working with. My trade is worth 2500 (or so but 2500 is a solid number) I don't want to put any money down, and I do have lease loyalty. I don't see anywhere in these posts a money factor or residual value. Does anyone know these??

Thanks,
    Steve
    The truck I'm looking at has a Msrp of 40000
    Leases are mean't to be fleeces, so unless you have a business try to avoid them. If you do they are still mean't to be fleeces but you can try to minimize the damage.

Your 40000 vehicle will have a trade in value of 18000 (probably less) in 12 months. ((look up an 07 on kbb.com or nada.com) Personally I would want something around 350/mo (preferably 300 or less with good credit) with no money down and 15000 miles/yr for 36 months with tax (7% in my state). Subtract 70/mo for your ttrade. I would prefer to sell it myself than prepay a lease with trade money down.

If you put 5000 down to lower the payments and the vehicle is totalled I believe the insurance pays off the car and the remaining (lower) payments of the lease to the bank and you eat the 5000. 2500 is less than that but still.

Good luck
    --jjf

The truck I'm looking at has a Msrp of 40000
  • vinaview92vinaview92 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Sleukem -
    I was wondering if you have purchased the Dodge Ram and what your comments are if you have. We are currently looking at the Quad Cab, Diesel, it will be used to haul a stock trailer.

I am also concerned about pricing, and this will be the first "new" vehicle we have purchased. If you have completed the purchase I would like to know your thoughts/comments, and if you are enjoying the new truck? Thanks.
  • smr1500smr1500 Member Posts: 1
    MSRP $41,600 (it's a 4x4 Big Horn pkg w/ navigation, tow package, seat heaters, stability control, limited slip, 20" wheels, etc.) Purchased for $26,500.

If I waited a couple of weeks, I might have picked it up for under $25k. Then again, the other truck that was $15k off MSRP was sold less than 2 hours before I went down to look at the one I wound up buying...
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter with a large newswire would like to speak with consumers who purchased a truck or SUV in the past couple of months and received a good deal as demand was low because of gas prices. If you just purchased a truck or SUV recently, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Monday, August 25th.
  • ryang1ryang1 Member Posts: 1
    Well I am a chevy guy and have been for years. I broke down and bought a dodge.
    2007 SLT 5.7L

Paid: 15,998
    Mileage: 13,600
    TTL out the door with 60months/60000 mile warranty= 19,278.18
    Look around for a while and found that. Thought it was a good deal so I jumped.
  • folsomjack2folsomjack2 Member Posts: 4
    50% off the basic window sticker, Lots more available, They tried to offer low book less repairs for my 2003 Hyundai strippie Santa Fe $3000, I held out for $5500 and after going up the chain to the GM in 2 hours, I drove it home. The Hyundai had $3000 of necessary repairs including body work, all tires and a Loud 5th gear! I just could not believe it!
  • carsearch2008carsearch2008 Member Posts: 10
    Well, the dealers were full of bull so I finally went to a private sale. Nice truck and purchased from autotrader for $8300. These dealers need to realize they are done for and give the trucks away and start anew. I recommend they sell the 2008s 4x4 quad cabs for $17,000 and come out with a better more fuel efficient model for 2010 and bank on the customers staying loyal via better customer service and honoring of warranties. Bottom line, Dodge, Ford and GM need to forcus on quality, customer service and value (ie Japanese and Germans).
  • wood3462wood3462 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,
    Is there a way to find out what options such as the rear size and other options that are on my 2005 ram. I am not the original owner and would like to know what package I have. Help!!!
    Guys can someone help me please. I'm emailing a bunch of dealers and I'm going with information from here and other sites. Is there any good lease's out there at all???? I got a dealer who is taking almost 10k off MSRP of a Ram 1500 Laramie but the leases seem to be way out of whack. The truck is 43490, and they would sell it for 35100. I haven't asked for their lease numbers yet because they are the best price, but all the other dealers lease's were way high in payments. Mostly over $500 should I expect the same from this dealer, are there just no more good leases. If you could answer quickly that would be great because I'm working on this deal as we speak.

Thanks,
    Steve
  • aohurstaohurst Member Posts: 8
    You will not find a good lease now on any truck...Rams will not have a good residual, which along with money factor, is the key driver on lease payment.

When the truck you lease is worth 70% less by lease end, you have to pay for that in your lease.
    If you look at my other posts here the Dodge Ram has a very inflated msrp. $12000 off msrp was the standard mediocre deal for the last 4-5 years or so. If you look up the used 08 value of a truck like your $43000 number you may find it is about $22000.(kbb.com) A $35000 deal may have you eating almost $13000 to drive an average truck the 1st 12 months. (the most expensive). This is totally uncool for an average truck, especially in a recession.

Try to get 20 bids (dodge website (150 mi radius) last week of the month on a purchase (with your financing, shop around) And a lease. (no money down, 36months or so 15000 miles/yr). You should get about 2-4 dealers to bid several rounds for a 3 or so days. The lease is the easiest, lowest payment under the mentioned terms wins.

Good luck
    --jjf