Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Maybe they have 30K intervals so this way they'll try to get more people to pay for the upgraded 6yr/100K maintenance pkg;)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    nyc.....$47K for a 4 cyl sedan is expensive, regardless of who makes it. You can get an awful lot of cars, with luxury name plates, that have a nice 6 cyl under the hood, for a whole lot less.

I know BMW is spinning it as a move to better MPG. In this country, at least, that's a tough sell, however.

I suppose some will fall into the showroom just because of the badge (just like those who pay major dollars for a C series, regardless of how whimpy the motor is in them).

You can get a 335i for considerably less than $50K (discounted). I did it.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    edited February 2012
    I also think it is surprising (and even disapointing) they could not get their duck in row with xdrive, but to me since RWD is BMW lineage anyway, I don't see this as a big blow. They have always done phase-in approach, but this one is a little odd, as there will be old and new sedans being sold at the same time with same badges, just one "x" or "d" (diesel is also old) letter difference. Strange and confusing to some to say the least.

And you're welcome for the grammar lesson. As an immigrant (legal), I like to give back to the local folk. Nothing better than some literacy lessons . ;) :P (ducking and covering)

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    They may have made that clear ... but I don't think they were telling the truth.

Why, then, do they have far cheaper examples in Europe? Why, then, do they offer a $31k 1-series? Frankly, I think claiming they don't WANT to offer it here is sour grapes. They don't believe there to be enough of a market to warrant it and/or they don't want to canibalize their own sales (would someone who stretched themself to buy a new 328 rather buy a 320? probably.), so they'd rather just say "I don't wanna."

That's my uneducated guess, anyway.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I don't have a problem with a 4 cylinder BMW - Audi and Mercedes have them. The problem I do have is that NA isn't available anymore.

People ranted on and on when the dipstick went away and the cars became "leasers" (keep it for 3 years then ditch it) because of the inability to self-maintain them. Shade tree mechanics used to love BMWs, but not these new ones. And now, with a turbo in all of the 3ers, BMW is telling "don't even think of working on this car yourself." They might as well remove the hood latch mechanism...

As much as I like the engineering, performance, and economy of a turbo-4, I would never buy one.
    I don't necessarily mind the electronic oil level gauge. BUT, the problem with it is you can't check the level without running the engine! Ummm... anyone else see a problem there? "I think my oil is low, so I'd better run the engine to find out." :surprise:

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited February 2012
    Why, then, do they have far cheaper examples in Europe?

That's not entirely accurate description of their European offering. What they have there is lots of different versions and options with their smaller-engine offerings obviously are cheaper to manufacture, but their prices are HIGHER than here - and by higher I mean INSANE.

They didn't have there "old" 328i (there were 325i and 330i, positioned just below/above in terms of hp, I believe these are same engines as those offered here before 2008), they have 335i just the same. If you configure one sold in German market to what sells here (largest in Europe), you come up with some ridiculous values. It would cost you there near double to get similar vehicle, I am not kidding (currency exchange already included). 335i for 100 grand anyone? A visit in BMW Welts is a real eye opener. A 1-series with smaller engine than here can cost you there equivalent of a base 5-series here. If you want to pay what we pay here, you come up with a base NA 4-cyl. engine, cloth seats, no extras of any kind. So it is not that people buy there 316i because they really want to and they simply don't like 335i, it's basicall most they can afford to buy. If you add their gas station bill being about double of ours, you get the picture. Oh no, if they'd take 328 or 335 in a heart beat if they paid what we pay.

People, you don't even realize how tough US market is for those guys and how lucky (demanding) we really are. They pay labor rates higher than here (especially if you factor in taxes paid by the employer) then they have to come here and sell it for a little more than half the price they'd command in their domestic market. If you realize that, you wonder how they are able to sell anything here at a profit and still offer decent (perhaps not great) choices.

On the flip side, there everybody gets choices upon choices, even in lower end brands. A typical 3-series price sheet is two pages here for a given body style, there it's a twenty-plus page booklet just for the same body style. People rarely buy from dealer's lots, they order and pick it up three to six months later. They often can't really test drive the car with engine they order (that's regardless of brand). Totally different experience.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

I agree that $47K is expensive for a 4cyl sedan. Heck, a 528xi w/ a 4cyl can be optioned well into the $60K range (yikes). I don't know if there is a stigma about driving a 4cyl car like there used to be back in the '80s & '90s. The "serial leasse will no doubt take the F30 out on a test drive and feel it has the same amount (or more, I haven't driven one yet) of "pickup.". The salesman mentions it's a 4cyl turbo that gets 30 something MPG on the highway. The customer hasn't driven a 4 cyl car since their early 1990's Toyota Tercel says: "wow, 4 cyl engines sure have changed."

You got a fantastic deal on a smokin 335i w x drive coupe. So you are right, it is possible.

BMW is a performance luxury brand. In the American market, performance (for the masses) is equated by 0-60 mph times. They don't want a 320i NA 4cyl in their stable that does the sprint in 7.5 - 8.5 sec.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited February 2012
    OK, but what is the overall cost of living and average income? I mean, if we're talking US dollars here, is it just a matter of the US dollar being worth far less there? I'm not an economics guy by any stretch of the imagination (nor am I a world traveler), mind you, but I'm pretty sure something just simply costing more there means it is more expensive in relation to the average joe. Know what I mean?

I know this is going back a ways, but I know base Benzes, for example, served taxi duty. I would guess that's because they are relatively cheap, no? Does that still hold true today? Are they still used for that purpose?

edited February 2012
    Yes, there was a loss of value of the dollar in recent years, which opened the gap further than before to those insane levels, but it has always been there, even during strong dollar times. America has always been a land of cheap cars and energy. The payoff was lack of sophistication, generally relatively fewer choices, lower expectations of quality, especially fit/finish. An American buys a car (used or new) with an expectation of a trade in next three-five years, European expects to to keep it "for life", even if they ultimately do not. That sets a tone, pretty dramatically. They spend much higher portion of their income and then their operating costs are also higher to their income, which sets expectations very high. You'd have to watch some Top Gear comments every time they get an American-made vehicle for a test.

Ford Focus is sold there as "family" vehicle. It is sold with 1.4 and 1.6 engines. Ford Mondeo/(Contour/Fusion) is considered an "middle level executive" - also sold with 1.6-1.8 engine. In many countries there is a big tax and insurance penalty when you go over 2 litters. Denmark has new car registration fees at levels comparable to value of the car. I'm not kidding - people have been known to take loans to pay off registration tax. And the list goes on. Even Germans, most affluent of all Europe drive mostly VW, Fords and Opels in configurations that would make Americans laugh.

Taxi Benz is nothing like Benz you see here, the only thing in common is the shell and the star on the hood. It used to be attractive for taxi because of durability of their base NA diesel engine vs. price relation to other brands. Regardless if you buy a Ford or Benz, you will spend much higher share of income, but Benz (used to) offer million mile durability, tons of spare parts available from knock off manufacturers.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

edited February 2012
    but I'm pretty sure something just simply costing more there means it is more expensive in relation to the average joe.

Don't want to sound condiscending, but Americans are really cute sometimes. Let me tell you what an average median income Joe Brit/Hans Deutch/Jose Span/Jaques the French get from life: They live in a 800 sf apartment in a multi-apartment house, commute to work with bus/trane and on weekends they drive a five-to-eight years old Ford Focus/Renault Megane/Opel Astra with 90-110 hp engine, most likely diesel. Dr. Hans or Dept. Manager Jaques have vastly better life - they live in 1500 sf house and commute in three-year-old Ford Mondeo/Peugeot 405 with 140 hp engine, also diesel. Regional Manager Julio just moved into 2000 sf house and bought a new BMW 520d (4-cylinder diesel) with cloth seats but a keyless entry, which he showed to every neighbor.

Well, exact facts may differ slightly, but that's a general tone. When you understand those differences, the perspective changes dramatically.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Obviously, I had a typo in that statement. It should have been:

I'm not an economics guy by any stretch of the imagination (nor am I a world traveler), mind you, but I'm pretty sure something just simply costing more there doesn't means it is more expensive in relation to the average joe.

Just keep in mind, regardless of whether you find it cute or not, it doesn't mean what I said is incorrect. Everything is relative. Yes, if everything you say is true, then the cars apparently cost a larger portion of their income (although I have NO IDEA why). But since everything appears to be that way from what you are saying, then it is relatively on par with all living expenses, if you get my meaning.

Its the same thing from state to state here. Gas, food, taxes, real estate all vary WIDELY across the country. I could live as a king in Texas for pauper wages in NJ.

Hell, I'm middle management and I sure can't afford a new bimmer.

• flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Regarding switching to a 4 cyl in a 40+ car, MB is doing it too and Audi had done it also, BMW just happens to be the last one to have a 4 cyl turbo in their line up. BTW, the new 5 series is selling very well, higher then BMW predictions.
    Audi's A5 starts off at 38K and and top off at 50K with a 4 cyl turbo... MB will do the same with the E class soon enough. Not too sure why you and others think BMW is going backwards, but its typical American thinking, small is bad, bigger is better...
    Dino you are so right, when I was in Germany to pick up my 330i, I stopped off at a BMW dealer, they had 3 new cars on their lot the rest were used BMW's. Also not too sure how many 316i bmw would sell, since people are complaining now about how horrible it is to have a BMW with a 4 cyl.
    I knew what you meant to say and that was cute to me (assuming that is something is true in US, it must be universal), but let's not dwell on that. I meant to be funny, but I probably wasn't. The fact stays that United States is a world with BY FAR cheapest cars and energy, not just in terms of currency prices, but in terms of actual income percentage. It is also true about other items, such as certain electronics (iphone/ipad costs in Europe about twice what it does here, even more in China).

The reasons for that to be the case are plenty, from general output (i.e. US is still in fact either highest of almost highest GNP/capita), combined with scale (even small price break could bring marginally more sales, which can fuel more price breaks). However, the biggest difference lies in market fragmentation (combined Europe is about US size, but each country has its own very separate ways and they don't interact in terms of retail) and more redistributive economy, i.e. higher taxation on all levels, from capital, to income, to consumption (e.g. Euro sales tax, called VAT is from 17 to 25%, Euro income taxes are progressive reaching 50% and beyond on top bracket, Euro social security taxes paid by employers as surcharge go into 30-50% territory, all depends on the country). There is also large amount of social engineering going on there as well, where "undesirable behavior" (such as owning large-displacement engine vehicle) is directly punished by the government through additional taxes and scrutiny. They also excert a direct pressure on manufacturers to make or not make certain products as well, a concept introduced to US just only recently. All this combines into really punitive taxes and high prices of "unnecessary good", which cars, especially luxury ones are perceived as.

It gets even worse in poorer countries, almost inversely proportional to their wealth. Explanation for that may be in volume: even if MB or BMW lowered the price, they would not sell more product, so prices remain high to pay for higher distribution cost of smaller markets and the circle closes.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

To me it is not really the size of the engine, but its configuration. There are big advantages of straight six in terms of balance, smoothness, power delivery. Sure, you can make a screamer 4-cyl sewing machine producing same power as a larger I6, but the experience is not the same. Long term durability is also an open question. Europeans are already going through that now with their modern diesel engines - in quest of clean quite and high power turbo diesel, all advantages of old diesel (resiliency, low maintenance, million mile durability) are all but gone. Pour wrong fuel to your tank and you need new injectors. Put wrong oil and watch your car die... Sure, they are all nice, clean and quiet when new, but they last just about the same as gasoline engines, but still cost 30% more.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Euro sales tax, called VAT is from 17 to 25%, Euro income taxes are progressive reaching 50% and beyond on top bracket, Euro social security taxes paid by employers as surcharge go into 30-50% territory

wow.

edited February 2012
    Yes, wow. Why do you think I'm here ;) Don't want to turn this into political fight, but every time I hear people idolizing Europe as some kind of working man heaven, I want to scream. Yes, there are some aspects of life there that may be called better than here, but overall our economy and society becoming like theirs is not a good thing in my book, period.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    I'd have to agree. My ex lived 20+ miles outside of central London, in a 400 sf 1-bedroom, 1-bath attached unit with exactly ZERO closets and one window. Not even a coat or small linen closet. It sold for £214,000 ten years ago - that was around $300,000 US. I know other residents who lived further out who had homes/mortgages at a similar level. Everything else is also pretty expensive - a lot of income goes to just the basics in many households.

re: Cars - a lot of positions over there come with company cars or a company-provided vehicle allowance. That may account for *some* of the higher-end cars, as the allowance has to be used for a vehicle and is use-it-or-lose-it.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Don't you guys watch, "House Hunters International" on HGTV???

An apartment in Paris that is about the size of my master bath sells for $200,000..... :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Well it is a city after all. Hell, Boston is more expensive than that these days from what I'm told.

edited February 2012
    Okay...

Literally..... the size of my master bath... 140 square feet... ;)

When you have 20 minutes to spare:

Paris studio apartment video

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I watch it from time to time and yes I see how us American live, compared to our European counter parts. For the price of a very small apt in Paris, I bought my 2900Sq Ft house for, and there is only two if us living in it. IN some ways its a waste of space... But I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Just like my BMW's better cars out there for less money, yes, but I wouldn't trade them for the world..
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    BMW has a whole marking campaign talking about how awd is availiable on 20-25 models - talk about history all you want this is the new BMW. Up here in the north east you'd be hard pressed finding a rwd (non m) BMW.

On the grammer - try posting from an iPhone- it stinks- plus 6 grad education
    So, I may be in the market for an ELLPS sooner than I expected.

Not to stray too far off-topic, but does anyone have experience with negotiating with an insurance company regarding the appraised value of a car facing a "total loss?"

I need advice... :sick:
    Oh no. Don't tell me someone was texting while driving, ran a red light, & hit the M3

edited February 2012
    No, not quite NYC - I wish it was that simple and anonymous. I let my brother drive it and he fish tailed it into a ditch.

My insurance company has come up with a rather lower than expected 3rd party valuation report.

I don't want to derail the thread with off-topic chatter, but if someone has experience in this area, I would really appreciate some advice offline.
    Contact Mr_Shiftright

He knows all about special interest auto appraisals.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

while driving?
    I knew this was the thread to seek help. I respect and appreciate all the "regulars" here. :)

Thanks!

P.S. I don't see a PM option here. How do you contact a member/host?
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Fed sorry to hear. As long as your bro is ok.
    What about me? I was sitting next to him, helpless to stop the nightmare as it happened in slow motion! :surprise:

Seriously though, thank you KD, I do appreciate the sentiment. That is truly what matters and we are both physically OK - no injuries.
    Fedlaw sorry to hear that, yes, sitting next to him would be the worse, it is that bad to repair?
    Click on any member name.... you can access their profile, which will include their e-mail address, if they have chosen to make it public.

All Host e-mails are public in their profile.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Got it, thanks kyfdx!
    edited February 2012
    Thanks flightnurse...

There doesn't appear to be any suspension or driveline damage, but both bumpers were ripped off, and both front fenders were pushed back and up into the A-pillars. The oil cooler is bent out of shape. We didn't see any evidence of frame damage, but the glove box doesn't close properly anymore, leading me to suspect more unseen damage. There are numerous light paint scratches all over the passenger side of the car. I haven't driven it, but the engine runs, there are no new leaks, and the rear wheels are still attached to the crank, so that's something.

Most of the expense from the bodyshop estimate is because they would replace body panels and have to paint the entire car to get a good blend. Do a four-wheel alignment and then insurance added $2500 for additional unseen work that is expected to be needed. Total estimate to repair is $15K - $17.5K.

I'm considering buying the Salvage and piecing it back together myself. USAA wants $4200 for it and I'm sure I could fix it for a lot less by bending things back into position, buying bumpers online and having MAACO paint them, etc...

Part of me knows it will never be the same and I'll think of my brother whenever I drive it. Maybe I'll just buy the salvage, part it out, and move on.

I really don't know what I'm going to do yet.
    Oh gosh. First & foremost, I'm really glad you are both OK & didn't get hurt. Let us know what happens with the insurance company.

Thanks nyc, I will.

On a somewhat brighter note, I did put out a couple of feelers for CPO Porsche 997's yesterday...
    Kind of does sound like the unibody is bent. Did you have this insured through standard insurance? Or on classic insurance with an "agreed upon value?"

If standard insurance, I would add some of those in the back of Roundel as comps. I saw a couple in the most recent edition that were something like $25k-$30k, IIRC.

edited February 2012
    It is a "cash value" coverage. I didn't have the option for "agreed value" with USAA. I did look into Classic insurance when I got the car, but at the time, I believe it was too new still and there were limitations imposed on how I use the car that didn't work for me at the time. I should have revisited it more recently, but I didn't get around to it. My fault, for sure...

Good advice about the Roundel classifieds. I have printed out a bunch of comps I have found online, but not from the Roundel.

Thanks.
    well, just an FYI in case you fix it or buy another classic, things apparently are a bit different now.

Back in the summer, we bought a 300E for the wife. I too was worried about the perceived limitations on a Hagerty policy (for example), so I shopped around. Found another company that offers classic "agree upon value" coverage but also lets you choose a more liberal policy where you can drive the car for pleasure use up to a total of 7500 miles per year. So I bought that. (Wish I could remember the name off the top of my head, but I know I posted it on the Project Cars discussion.)

Not long after, Hagerty was bugging me for some feedback. I wrote on the form how I didn't like their restrictive policies. A rep called me after that to talk about it. He said they will cover for pleasure use and not just "to and from car shows." Which is good because I still have my MR2 covered by them.

So, anyway, there are options out there for you.

Good luck with this one. Anxious to hear a good outcome.

Thank you for the info, that's really good to know. I may yet benefit from it in the near future.

I'll definitely let you know how everything ends up.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    FED....as others said, glad to hear you and your BIL are OK.

I don't envy you regarding dealing with the insurance companies. It's always a crap shoot whether they will actually do what's right by their customers (regardless of what their TV ads claim). Hope they do....best of luck!

Regarding the 4 cyl lux cars, I don't like them. They are not as smooth as their 6 cyl counterparts. The 328i I drove was down on performance vs the 6 cyl 328i I test drove last year. And, it's not nearly as smooth. Yet, it costs more. Go figure.

BMW does have an outlet for their 4 cyl cars.......it's called MINI.

It's no secret that I like well performing cars. That's the reason I like the TL SH AWD, the 335i, the Taurus SHO, etc (all of them were on my shopping list last go round).

I pretty quickly dismissed the Audis and MB (a C series, even with a 6 cyl, but down on power) for that very reason.

Call me whatever name you want. But, I put power before fuel economy....every time.

We'll see where the whole 4 cyl thing ends up for BMW. Haven't driven a 5 series in awhile. But, the trade rags I've read aren't too enamored with it using the 4 cyl.

BTW....my local dealer had an '11 535 GT in the showroom, loaded, MSRP well north of $60K. It had ~1,100 miles on it, used by the sales manager.

They had a price on the windshield of $49,999. If I were in the market......?????!!!!!!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Yep, I also look at "leader adds" while drive as well
    While I agree with you on power, I think it's very important as well, but the examples of Taurus Sho and Tl might be a bit of a stretch . Both are very heavy and are middle of the pack overall performers- that are based on family FWd platforms, and I'm sure you did your research but and the car rags agree. - sales numbers also point to the fact they are mid level players at best.
    That being said the 535 is a fantastic example where just Enuf power plus performance doesn't warrent the bigger engine.
    Here's a review of the new 3, they did mention the engine was a little different but has more power.

http://m.caranddriver.com/review.rbml?id=440313&full=true

I think we have turned the page -4cyls arethe new Elpps, atleast the ones that produce torque and hps.
    I'll be curious too as to how well received the new 4cyl is by the non-enthusiast crowd. My dentist is picking up a 2012 Audi Q5 3.2 next week. He drove it back to back with the 2.0T and really preferred the way the 3.2 behaved. He's not an enthusiast, just likes European cars.

There used to be a "4 cylinder stigma" that I don't know exists anymore in certain circles. Fuel economy is on everyone's mind these days (and has been for quite some time now). I always enjoy a good car conversation outside of my enthusiast friends. People used to talk about acceleration & horsepower. Now the first question you hear someone ask when someone else gets a new car is: "How is it on gas?"

I wonder what kind of crazy incentives BMW will offer on the E90 335 & 328 xi before the new F30 Xi models come out. Cash? Low financing?

• btc33btc33 Member Posts: 2
    I make around $46,000 a year and am looking to buy a entry level luxury car for around $18,000. I am not a fan of Camrys, Accords, etc. I am just wanting to make sure I get a car I can afford the maintenance costs and and one that is not going to have issues a lot. I know I can afford to buy one but I just want to make sure I can afford to own one.
    I assume you want a used car - and it has to be quite used (4+ years old). I own BMW myself, but bought it new with maintenance. I love, but would not get one for 18 grand, especially if did not have more money to spend after the purchase.

If maintenance costs are real issue for you, start with Acura TSX or TL. TL is definitely more luxurious, but more expensive and larger; you'd get newer TSX. TSX is smaller, but also more agile and better on gas. TL is basically luxury version on Accord. TSX is a top line of European/JDM car also called Honda Accord, but it's a different vehicle altogether.

My second choice for low maintenance entry level/semi luxury would be 2005-2010 Subaru Legacy GT or 3.6R (the last letters are important - it's a turbo version or 6-cylinder of Legacy, respectively). GT is very fast and has 6-speed manual transmission (if that's important to you), not so great on gas and may be hard to find. Legacy 3.6R Limited has a smooth 6-cylinder engine and AT and also decent level of equipment.

Third choice - Infiniti G35. For 18 grand, it may already be too old to be "problem free".

2018 430i Gran Coupe

I will be less rude "I bought a BMW new but would never get one for 18k",

Ok well how about a lease. _ Acura, Infiniti, BMW and others offer competitive leases that for that same 18k over 3 years you can get into a Elpps car.

On his Infiniti comment I have a 07 g35x with 30k miles - it can be had for 20k but in this economy would consider 18k- no problems, new stopers but does need tires. so In conclusion I think you can find a car - not cerified for 18k, year 2007 or better that will satisfy your needs. -