Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    ATS....neither of which would be on my short list if I were plunking down my own money. Strong rumors around that the ATS is falling short of GM's sales expectations and they're throwing trunk money at it.

that's the problem with American cars, they are always overpriced 10-30%. Someone said earlier Honda and Toyota overprice their cars 10-20%; that statement is crazy and nuts. If that is true, then let me revise my American car statement to overpriced 20-50%.

BMW also overprices things about 10-20%.

The horrific resale value of American metal is proof that the cars are overpriced to begin with, and then you can add the fact they always issue huge rebates.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • larrys8larrys8 Member Posts: 36
    So a bit of a different topic, but given the discussion of many types of cars. This may sound like a strange question, but living in the northeast, I much prefer AWD over RWD. Has anyone ever heard if Infiniti will build a AWD G convertible? Id much prefer a hard top over a soft top. The Volve C-70 doesn't do much for me and I dont want the soft top of the A5 for year round driving.

I am on my second G sedan and couldnt be happier, but in a couple of years I wont have to worry about having a car seat in the back and would love to go back to a two door. I can't imagine driving a soft top year round. Any thoughts, rumors, etc. of what Infiniti may do would be great. Or suggest other cars.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Larry...no 'vert AWD Infinitis. Matter of fact, only convertible 4WD I can think of would be in the Jeep showroom.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • billyperksiibillyperksii Member Posts: 198
    I thought Lexus (SC) and BMW made hard tops convertible?
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    There's always the (freakish) Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet! Who wouldn't want a 4-door midsize CUV converted into 2-door mutant convertible sorta thing??? And they only cost about $45k with the Nav package..

They've been on the market for several years and already sold tens, maybe even dozens of them!!! =)
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • dan12dan12 Member Posts: 114
    BMW makes a hard top convertible with 4 seats (328i & 335i) but they're not AWD. I don't know of any AWD convertibles other than the Audi A5. Those A5's are very, very nice looking despite my bias towards BMW. I don't know how the soft top would work out in the winter though.
  • dan12dan12 Member Posts: 114
    "There's always the (freakish) Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet! "

Funny. Going down the requirements checklist it seems to have it all. CUV, AWD, convertible, 4 doors, gas mileage.... isn't that the dream car? Err, I guess not.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    You can get an Audi vert in Quattro now, I think..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited April 2013
    You guys are right....Audi A5 Quattro convertible. Would be great. How could I forget it? :surprise:
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    4WD Convertible? The Jeep gets my vote (& maybe the vote that counts).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• scwmcanscwmcan Member Posts: 399
    Engine yes, transmission no, though the may be a few common parts in the transmission ( a transverse FWD tranny just can't be exactly the same as a longitudinally mounted RWD tranny). Besides that very little in common, the Xts is built on the epsilon ii platform that it shares ( though the xts's may be an updated epsilon II platform) with the Buick Lacrosse, the CTS is built on ( shoot forget what the name of the current CTS platform is) a platform not shared with any other GM product ( though it used to share it with the SRX ans STS), the upcoming CTS will be built on an extended and ( I beileve widened) ATS platform, so still nothing besides engine and maybe some programming in common so no I don't think the XTS and CTS are anywhere near the same car in the way the Avalon and ES are.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    ATS....neither of which would be on my short list if I were plunking down my own money. Strong rumors around that the ATS is falling short of GM's sales expectations and they're throwing trunk money at it.

Saw my first ATS a few days ago. Overall the car looks pretty nice, but wow - those little windows are like slits. Sort of like they Camaro-ized the CTS. I know we have higher side impact standards and such, but this driving in a deep bathtub craze really needs to stop, or we will just eliminate the windows and go to CRT displays inside. :(
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    +1

Big peeve of mine to see how high the sills are on new cars. And speaking of convertibles, who wants a convertible where only the tips of your ears are above the doors?

I just have to laugh when I see someone driving with the top down these days, windows up and ball cap on. Might as well save the grief and buy a coupe.

A real convertible actually blows your hair around and you can rest your arm comfortably on door sill :)
    Graph- I might be drifting towards your end-Audi.
    I am looking at the A6 3.0 supercharger, Premium Plus with 19" Sport.
    Glacier White with the Nogout Leather.
    I have 15 months of payments on the TL to outright own the car.
    Here is the obstacle, my wife, she wants us to keep the TL, only 24k miles with 4 years of ownership.
    I am sitting on the fence with that new car itch.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    A real convertible actually blows your hair around and you can rest your arm comfortably on door sill

With a pack of Camels or Marlboros tucked under a tee shirt sleeve.
    I can understand top down, windows up, cap on. My pet peeve is top up, windows up, AC cranking on a gorgeous day.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

billy...have you driven the A6 yet? I'll be keeping the S4 for a couple more years. But, they normally give me an A6 as a loander when I'm in for service. The 3.0 supercharged motor is a real gem. I'd give up a little handling, and the A6 is certainly heavier. But, I'd certainly choose it over a 5 series. It's less expensive than a 5, too..equipped like for like.

That said, I got some seat time in my sister's new '13 TL Advance. I forgot how good those cars are, too.

My independent mechanic told me a while ago...."if you're only going to keep a car 3-4 years, one of the German marques will do. If you're going to keep a car past 3-4 years, get a Japanese marque (he specifically likes Honda products). If you want a car that's cheap to maintain, get an American marque."

As you know, I'll pull the trigger on a new car on a whim. That said, in this part of the market, there are almost no bad cars. They all have their own personalities, and they all bring something just a little different to the party. But, they all perform, handle, ride, better than 98% of the market.

As much ballyhooing GM has trumpeted with the ATS, my encounters with it (albeit brief) wouldn't have me writing a check for one. It's too corse, it needs some serious tech debugging. And, if you can't at least line up body parts correctly in this part of the market, don't even bother coming to market.

nyc...fed...I'm with you guys on a convertible. If you don't have the sun on your head, and the wind blowing your hair every which way, what's the point of a convertible?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Thanks for answering for me.

IMHO, when vehicles share "DNA", it usually means platforms.
    or we will just eliminate the windows and go to CRT displays inside.

Speaking of CRT displays, I believe back up camera's are less than useless and worthless in my view. People have been driving nearly a Century without issue and without back up camera's (at least the competent drivers).

I'd find a DASH CAM 1,000X times more useful and worthwhile than a back-up cam. There's so many bad driver's out there, the dash camera could be used on occasion in court (if needed), or to mail video to someone's insurance company.

Instead of red light camera enforcement, how about citizens' arrest tickets for left lane camping using dash cam video as evidence. I'll even show up in court to testify against a LLC that the video was taken by me, so that it isn't complete BS hearsay unacceptable evidence like is currently accepted by most lower corrupted courts for red light camera tickets. I think it would be worth my time to get these camping people prosecuted.

Even better, let's pass a law that 30% of the proceeds of the revenue generated go to the video taker to make this even more worthwhile; I'm sure that's a better deal for the city than Red-flex gives them!!!!

Pretty soon left lane campers would be eradicated and traffic would flow smoothly 90% of the time; even at rush hour except in DC and LA.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Big peeve of mine to see how high the sills are on new cars. And speaking of convertibles, who wants a convertible where only the tips of your ears are above the doors?

Briefly when I was 16, I had a bugeye sprite, now talk about wind in your face and hair blown around. I ended up selling it and bought a Datsun Roadster had that until my senior year in HS.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    edited May 2013
    I ended up selling it and bought a Datsun Roadster had that until my senior year in HS.

Was it a 1600 or a 2000? I love Datsuns from that era -- drove a '68 1600 sedan (later to become the 510) and a '73 510 for many many miles.

Good times. :D
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Funny thing, my mechanic told me the same thing too, additionally he is advocating for me to keep the TL. He keeps mentioning that it looks like I bought it yesterday-thanks to the many Zaino products and a garage.

I dont know, maybe or maybe not- I will let the Forum know.
    Billy....one of the things I miss most from the TL are the headlights. My S4 has HIDs with LEDs. The TL "only" has HIDs. They are worlds better than the Audi's lamps. Same goes for the A6.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,368
    edited May 2013
    My independent mechanic told me a while ago...."if you're only going to keep a car 3-4 years, one of the German marques will do. If you're going to keep a car past 3-4 years, get a Japanese marque (he specifically likes Honda products). If you want a car that's cheap to maintain, get an American marque."

A "while ago" that might have been good advice but I own two German cars more than a decade old that continue to give reliable day to day service with fewer problems than I'd expect from any car of that age. I know several other people in the same boat so it's not just a sample of two.

Thew belief that German cars become hideously expensive to run after a few years/miles works to the advantage of those who buy them when they're over 4-5 yrs/o. They're fantastic values if you buy carefully.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Graph- I get it- you are INDIRECTLY telling me to stick with the TL.
    billy.....LOL! It's your money. I can spend it for you if you'd like.

I like both the TL and my Audi. There are just certain things that the TL does better than the Audi (or my previous BMW 3 for that matter). Headlights is just one of them. I know it's the new "bling" trend to have LED lights. But, I've yet to see any car beat the illumination of the TL's HIDs. The TL's sport seats are more comfortable than those in my S4 (which has really good seats, too).

My money....given a choice? I would keep the TL. The A6 (and my S4) is a great car. Is it $15K+ better than the TL SH AWD? I'd be hard pressed to say so.

I've decided that I've hit the cross roads of diminishing returns with the $50K-$55K price point I've been hovering in (which is where the Audis and BMWs seem to hit).

Again, it will be a couple of years, but I'll probably return to Acura after they announce the new TL. Strong rumor that it will be a 2015....right when I'm ready to buy. Also, assuming it still has a 6 cyl and is at least as good as the present TL.
    Actually, I went back in December 2012and test drove the A6 extensively.
    The sales guy was one of the nicest I had met at any of the three Audi dealership in Fairfield County CT. I almost swapped it out at that point but my value side got the better of me- we'll see about that.
    I agree with you on the headlights, I swapped out the fogs for HID's, you can see me coming from a mile.
    I will probably wait until year end to start dibbling again- hopefully the markets keep doing what they are doing now.
    Like you've said many times GG, none of us (with possibly the exception of Roadburner & Fedlawman) comes close to our respective cars limits of acceleration & adhesion, especially on public roads. No matter how fast we tackle twisty back roads or blast off onto an open highway.

There are days when I jump onto 95 and have been able to set my cruise at 80 mph. Traveling at that speed, I've been passed (easily) by a 2003 V6 Camry, a 2004 Suburban just to name a few. At the same point, I've passed by Aston Martins, 911 Cabs, & even Ferraris with my cruise set at 65 mph. All of us here enjoy what we drive.

Are there differences between a TL SH AWD Advanced & the 5er, E350, or A6? Absolutely. The Germans don't just charge more because they can. I'm not going to say one is more durable or reliable than the other. But if the Acura is 8/10ths of the comparable German Sedan, I'll be on my way to pick up a TL.

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    'Like you've said many times GG, none of us (with possibly the exception of Roadburner & Fedlawman) comes close to our respective cars limits of acceleration & adhesion, especially on public roads. '

This is actually one reason that I am so addicted to TQ.
    I can typically find a portion of any drive [ and an excuse ] to use WOT – even if only for a few seconds.
    To me, that is ‘a rush’ – and I enjoy it.
    High absolute cornering limits just mean I have wide leeway in my [ um, enthusiastic ] street driving.
    - Ray
    Admitted TQ addict – and no desire to reform . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    It was a 1600, however, I placed a 2L in it as I blew the 1.6 engine. I sold it and bought a 69 510, which was a fun car, with a stroked 2L in it.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    well, I track my car. So :P

;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I knew I forgot someone :surprise: . You know what I was getting at. flightnurse is a track guy too.

They're fantastic values if you buy carefully.

I'm convinced 90% of the problems and perceptions people have with older German cars' costs as they age is from previous owners that skimped on maintenance, or from incompetent mechanics having worked on them.

If it is properly maintained, I can't see any problems that will be too costly with most German cars.

That said, I think Audi is doing a better job with quality control than BMW or Mercedes lately, seen CR recently?
    Q...you've been tracking for a lng while. Those track events are well behind me. However, I do enjoy a well engineered, sporting car on a challenging road.

NYC....we all like what we like. Cars in this class are hard to find fault with. It comes down to the different flavor you prefer.
  • leoblueleoblue Member Posts: 19
    I spend a lot of time driving and listening to music while driving so good sound is very important to me. I would speculate that car lovers usually love music too.

Out of all the performance cars we've been talking about, which one do you think have best sound for music?
    Leo.....I have a Bang & Olufson system in my Audi. It's really good. But, the best I've ever heard is ithe ELS system in the Acura.

Trailing behind those two would be the Harmon Kardon system in the BMW and Mercedes, then the Bose system in the Cadillac.

I haven't heard the system in the Infiniti for a long while, so I can't really comment on it. I don't remember it being particularly good or bad.

I also haven't heard the Levinson system in the Lexus for a long time, either. But again, compared to the others above, I don't recall it being a stand out.

By the way, all these systems mentioned above are extra cost options on all of the cars they come in.
    GG there are three different versions of the B&O sound system in the Audi's, I was very impressed with the A8, with the movable tweeters on the dash, the A6 and A4 didn't have the clear highs that the A8 had.

I had a MKS as a rental a couple of weeks back and it had their top of the line system with the THX and was impressed for a none big name connected to it that it sounded as good as it did. Never been impressed with any of the BOSE systems in any car, and the Levinson system in the Lexus is excellent.
  • scwmcanscwmcan Member Posts: 399
    edited May 2013
    I saw a MKZ on the road yesterday, and I have to say appearance wize it is very nice ( now do I know where it fits in performance wize no, and I am not about to guess without actually driving it agains the other cars in its class). I do think it looks much better on person than in photos ( and was quite eye catching). So I guess at least the styling direction at Lincoln is going the right way ( I have to agree with those who think the engineering side may be a bit lacking) but at least they aren't just producing an exact clone of a fusion and slapping a Lincoln grill on it and saying done, they at least differentiated it this time.
    "NYC....we all like what we like. Cars in this class are hard to find fault with. It comes down to the different flavor you prefer."

This exactly!
    edited May 2013
    "Like you've said many times GG, none of us (with possibly the exception of Roadburner & Fedlawman) comes close to our respective cars limits of acceleration & adhesion, especially on public roads."

Well, I don't know about public roads... I have my fun, but I save the absolute limits for the track. I only visit the track a handful of times a year.
    scw....I happen to like the way the new Lincolns look too. I think the big knock on them is there's little to differentiate them from their more humble step sibblings from Ford. I don't know which models compare from Ford to Lincoln. But, from what I've read, you'd be hard pressed to see why the Lincolons cost extra thousands when moving from a Fusion, Taurus, etc to their Lincoln counterparts.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    C&D, June issue, test drove Lexus IS350, BMW335i and Cadillac ATS 3.6. Lexus finishes first, BMW second, Cadillac third.

They didn't think Lexus would be the best sports sedan until they "dove into the twisting, climbing, kinking, plunging roads around Leakey, Texas" with it.

On BMW they said: "Still good at everything, no longer the best at much".

They said that Cadillac "the most flawed", but they liked the handling.

So, is the world almost turned upside down. Cadillac better than BMW in handling, but more work to do with other things. So, where will BMW be in next comparo in a couple years.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    Seems that BMW gave up the spot voluntarily rather than Lexus leaping over. That is sad.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,368
    Seems that BMW gave up the spot voluntarily rather than Lexus leaping over. That is sad.

That's my impression as well. BMW is losing sight of the fact that they'll never build a better Lexus than Lexus can. As a result Lexus is no longer chasing BMW, it's the other way around.

Thanks to the way the Euro is tanking, BMW, Audi and Mercedes have an opportunity to put more content and value into the cars. Let's hope they take advantage of this. How about BMWs with spare tires, temp gauges, shift levers that don't look like keg taps and good old "go flat" tires?

Right now the biggest knock seems to be the new electric steering. I imagine that will be improved over time. I'm old enough to remember how awful the first hydraulic assist steering was but over time it got a lot better.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

GC the the Fusion is the MKZ and the Taurus is the MKS.
    FN...I think part of Lincoln's problem is I don't know their models anymore....and I'm probably one of their market targets if I had to guess. Plus, I don't know what advantage they offer over any of their competitors in the same price class.

Thanks for the info on car stereos. I know the upper end B&O stereos on upper end Audis are better than the one in my S4. But, they're also big buck upgrades, too. Haven't heard the B&O in either the A6 or A8.

Still, hard to beat the ELS in the TL.
  • larrys8larrys8 Member Posts: 36
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess I am looking for the perfect, do everything car. You were right on the money with the Murano....I am sure I can get a great deal HAHA. Best thing for me likely is to keep the G sedan and look for a used jeep or mita to have as a fun car!! Problem is convincing the wife that "I need it"

Thanks all for keeping this forum entertaining!
    GG, last week Rick and I went to the Audi dealer, I'm looking at the A5 as the new ride. While talking to the saleman, he was telling us about the A8 and B&O soundsystem. They had a S8 in the showroom, and he demoed the sound system, I would buy the A/S/8 just for that system, incredible simply incredible. The sound stage was right up in front of the driver and passenger. Deep rich lows and crystal clear highs (without hurting ones ears.) However, the entrance to this sound system is steep, but if you want a A8 or S8 money isn't an issue. The B&O sound system in the A5 is good but not as good as the A8 or S8. Now if I can only find a excellent used S5........
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    How do you find the time to go to so many dealers- Audi, Porsche , etc and test drive these cars and somehow walk out without anything?
    Follow up q.
    Do you think the local dealers will one day lock you out at some pt?
    edited May 2013
    "Thanks for the info on car stereos. I know the upper end B&O stereos on upper end Audis are better than the one in my S4. But, they're also big buck upgrades, too. Haven't heard the B&O in either the A6 or A8.

Still, hard to beat the ELS in the TL."

A little OT Graphicguy, but I finally am able to return the favor on your "Dishwalla" recommendation a couple years ago. Its become one of my favorite albums of all time. Thank You.

So... If you havent heard it, check out "Random Access Memories" by Daft Punk. I know, Daft Punk - but I promise its not what youre expecting. Fantastic writing, legendary intrumentalists, and top notch production. It will sound incredible in the car!