Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    Listen to yourself man- porshe and Alfa -'come on dude - the last Alfa was imported here what 20 years ago- I stand corrected the [non-permissible content removed] comment should also equate to Alfa owners as well-
    :shades:
    My wife once oned a 1998 crv or code name EJ8, on the civic boards no one called it the EJ8-( it came in 5 or 6 different styles with 3 different engines) - lots of variations just like all bmws. :shades:

And to say most enthusiasts know the difference is incorrect. but, i guess I would know the porshe speak if i was a person who test drove such cars on Saturdays with no intension to buy. :shades:
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    edited June 2013
    This topic is Entry-level Performance Sedans, a category pretty much invented by the cars from Munich. A little homework about BMWs might help you in this discussion. If you find this too confusing perhaps your time would be better spent on other boards

Here is a web site that untangles the mystery of BMW E and F, listing all numbers and what they mean such as F30 is a "6th gen 3-series saloon, 2011".

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/Industry-News/All-the-BMW-E-and- - -F-codenames-explained/

Here is a summary of F model numbers: F01-03, 10-13, 15-16, 20-23, 25, 30-35, 44-46. A summary of E model numbers: E3, 9, 12, 21, 23-26, 28, 30-32, 32/2, 34, 36, 36/5, 36/7, 38, 38/2, 38/3, 39, 46/5, 52, 53, 60, 61, 63, 65-68, 70.

Perhaps BMW could have been putting a small chrome plaque on the trunks of their vehicles showing the E and F numbers.

I would bet a cup of fancy coffee that the vast majority of BMW drivers/owners/leasers, many being the mcmanion variety, have never heard of E or F numbers.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
    Perhaps BMW could have been putting a small chrome plaque on the trunks of their vehicles showing the E and F numbers.

That would make more sense than the current scheme which makes little sense but they'd still have to distinguish between the various powerplants. The F30 with a 2-liter Turbo diesel (320D) is a bit different than the same chassis sporting a 300hp 3 liter gas turbo motor (335i) Perhaps they ought to have something like F30-TD2.0 or F30-T3.0 on the tail.

I would bet a cup of fancy coffee that the vast majority of BMW drivers/owners/leasers, many being the mcmanion [sic]variety, have never heard of E or F numbers.

I'm not sure about the "vast" majority, I'm sure most owners have no clue but enthusiasts know. I thought the Edmunds Townhall was supposed to be a site for auto enthusiasts. Pick up a copy of Road and Track, Car and Driver or Autoweek and I'm sure you'll find references to BMW Type numbers.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

I subscribe to motor trend- and an edmunds user among others. Sure the major publications mention the f30 or e20 or whatever mention of past BMW 3s but if you read these publications you notice it's mentioned once maybe twice- never in the header and never in the stats sheet. I would say "vast" is probably the correct terms- I mean in the states the "vast" majority of 3s sold are 399 lease deals (leader ads in flight terms) right.

I don't think enthusiasts need to remember the 2001 525xi was a f32. Seriously BMW guys put down the single malt and the Cuban and comeback to the real world - it's make year and model, then engine- you are not special.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,163
    What is your problem, man? I like lively discussion, but you seem to be more interested in slinging a small stone and see if somebody jumps. You continue this on and on. Snite here, zinger there, small insults in between. This chip on your sholder is getting bigger by and bigger. I'm losing my patience. Go back and read your posts again, then stop trolling. Disagreements are fine, calling things silly, douchy, etc. is not. Perhaps it is you needing some intoxicant to take the edge off.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

edited June 2013
    I thought the Edmunds Townhall was supposed to be a site for auto enthusiasts.

It depends. The title of this thread includes a number of brands and models including the Acura TL which I have a copy.

This thread covers a number of brands, models. There are threads for a particular make and model. Maybe those are the place where diehard BMW enthusiasts can bask in their "E" and "F" trivia. And, commiserate on their beloved brand being softened for the masses with electric power steering and handling that trails the Cadillac ATS, according to C&D in handling and performance. BMWs today perhaps are mostly for poseurs. Mcmansion types. We know who they are.
    Dino I'm sorry if you cannot take the response at what they are- my writing is sometimes a little to honest- I agree - but it's fact based (see Altima argument above) - I think if you are going to have an opinion be prepaired to back up any statements - this is a forum - it's a back and forth, some are better prepaired. Blind statements are layups to knock down, everyone has an opinion- doesn't mean it's right of wrong - but some are better researched and fact based, while others are just random thoughts. Again I'm sorry you feel that way.

Enjoy the stick 328 wagon - don't know the code is but great rig
    Opinions and challenges are fine, the tone can be a problem. The Altima was a good challenge. Calling people self centered douches (whether directly or not), because they used some unfamiliar vocabulary is not.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

The idea that one select car company (i guess alfa guys do as well) and its owners uses terms that are not widely used in a car conversation is what it is- this is not just a bmw forum, and I think it's douchie- I never called anyone self centered but this idea that real car enthusiasts have to know the code for a 2001 525 is. (As noted by my cigar and scotch comment)

And the Altima challenge was very one sided if you ask me- :shades:
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Opinions and challenges are fine, the tone can be a problem. The Altima was a good challenge. Calling people self centered douches (whether directly or not), because they used some unfamiliar vocabulary is not.

As somebody who posts quite a bit in other Edmund's forums but only mostly reads this one, I do find this forum has quite a bit more attitude than others. Perhaps fitting of the "higher-end" snobbish stereotype that I'm sure the forum posters don't want to convey to a general audience? (not directed at you, but a general comment on the "ELLPS" forum.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I personally dont find it snobbish. I find it childish. In a forum where adult car enthusiasts come to discuss, debate, learn about, and/or admire luxury performance cars, slinging personal taunts and making ascerbic condescending comments brings the entire community down.

Im not saying anyone has violated this, but here is the Edmunds Member Conduct Agreement for perspective:

"We welcome all points of view on automotive matters. However, although interactions within the Community Services occur in cyberspace, everyday manners apply. Please respect and interact with fellow Members as you would in any public arena. Civility and respect underlie the success of an on-line community; if you wish to take issue with the statements of other Members or the Hosts, please engage in healthy, mature debate and not immature behavior or name-calling. While we want to maintain an inviting environment for all visitors, disruptive conduct, such as off-topic comments in a topic-oriented discussion in the Forums, is not allowed. Neither is "spam" (e.g., posting your message in multiple places throughout the Forums)."

As for the BMW "E" and "F" designations. I agree most people dont have them all memorized (and who does?). On the other hand, we are mostly enthusiasts in this group and since it is the ELLPS thread, the only BMW being routinely discussed here is the 3-Series. And over the past 30 years, there have only been five (sedans):

E30, E36, E46, E90, F30

The E90 (2005-2012) and F30 (2012-present) are clearly the most talked about here so if you only know those two, you're good to go. And if you dont want to learn them, thats ok too - you probably call them "Beemers" anyways so it doesnt matter ;)

But, for that one-in-a-hundred mention of a rogue E-car, if you're curious there are ways to be in the know. For example, people have used the M-B "W" codes here before. I dont know them, but google is just a couple keystrokes away...
  • scwmcanscwmcan Member Posts: 399
    edited June 2013
    I know it may not be in the same performance class as your current BMW wagon, but it may be comparable to the latest one, but the Volvo V60 is coming to North America, by all reports it is a very nice driving car, and with BMW toning down the sportiness, and Volvo upping it a bit, it may even wind up being a better drive ( probably not, but the s60 is apparently pretty good, and since the v60 is the wagon version it should also be good).
    Thogh of course since it won't come with a manual it will be off some people's lists for that.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    As somebody who posts quite a bit in other Edmund's forums but only mostly reads this one, I do find this forum has quite a bit more attitude than others.

I would agree, but it appears to be due only to one or two people. This board was really active for quite awhile years ago, then went dead for quite some time when the regulars who populated it moved on to a couple of other boards. There was no hint of attitude in the "old days" that I recall.

When it came back to life, there was, and is. The majority of people (not posts, people) on here these days are fine and have interesting points of view. For the others, well, that's what the scroll wheel is all about.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    edited June 2013
    That said, I also know it has what Audi calls a "soundaktor".

It appears that BMW and Ford do the same thing these days... This is what happens when people want a quite car the soul if taken from them.
  • rockshocka1rockshocka1 Member Posts: 310
    But I love single malt & Cubans. As an Audi owner I'm aware of enhanced engine sound, but there are many that do it & more to come. Just reading reviews will tell you that. That being said, I would take the 4.2 in my S5 over
    the supercharged 6, 10x outta 10. The 6 gives you as marginal mpg boost as the 8 gives you speed. But the sound of the 4.2 is sweet! The supercharged 6, not in the ballpark. & I feel good having ready available E93 ethanol free in my area, which I've noticed gives me 1-2 more mpg than corn swill.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Just thinking about BMW's E Codes. I know MB uses "W" codes, but I have NO CLUE what they are. So I can understand if someone who is an auto enthusiast, but not completely focused on BMWs doesn't know "E" codes.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    If you are not completely focused on BMW, then I contend you are not an auto enthusiast ;)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    That's nice about ethanol-free... nothing within 50 miles of where I live... :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thogh of course since it won't come with a manual it will be off some people's lists for that

Since neither will new BMW wagon, it's a fair game for me. At some point I liked the idea of V50 T5, but it did not have manual tranny, either - then it disapeared altogether. Saab was a decent entry, at some point you could get Aero wagon with manual. I liked its looks, I did not drive one, but I could imagine. RIP, Saab.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Sure, I don't expect people to know all the codes. I learned these codes just a few years ago, when I started reading bimmerfest and other related posts. I don't know all of them, either. If somebody throws an unfamiliar code, my reaction would be either check it myself, of politely ask where I can find it, so I know what it is. Same comes to many acronyms and abbreviations used - I sometimes have to go to a dictionary to find out what all they mean - English being a second language and all.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Ha!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Very true

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
    In my defense I'll remind everyone that the codes I used in the reply to a post were probably the best known in the BMW world E39 (5 series 95-03) and E46 (3series 99-06). I know I'm not the only one who believes they may be the best Bimmers ever, they hark back to the Reitzle/Pischetsraeder era when the Japanese were chasing BMW. Now it's the other way around.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• billyperksiibillyperksii Member Posts: 198
    I just got an email from my dealer in regards to a special edition 2014 TL.
    Does anyone have any details on this?
    I hope its not all special stiched seats, special color seats, paint job or badging.
    If they beefed up the torque, power, suspension and nicer wheels, probably that will arouse my attention.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    According to the Temple of VTEC, it's keyless access, push button start, 18" wheels, lip spoiler and SE badging:

TL Special Edition
    Hear they are adding another foot to the grill and putting more chrome everywhere as well. Also spec is they are going to expand the name even further - Acura 3.7 Tl - sh-awd sde (super Dupper edition) .
    I just got an email from my dealer in regards to a special edition 2014 TL.

Will it be based on the platform of the 2009-2013 models? Sorry. Don't know what the code number was for these years' cars, otherwise would use it here.
    edited June 2013
    Xrunner - come on all real Ellps guys know the Fourth generation code as UA8-UA9, silly. Knowing honda products they use this car as a filler car- a car that appeals to the masses- so they can sell more of them- it usually has more features then the base but its not a marked out edition as "special" would indicate. It's based off the UA8. Shame they didn't make a type -s edition. Most enthusiasts agree the UA6-UA7 was the best edition of this car if equipped with type -s and 6 speed.
    Most enthusiasts agree the UA6-UA7 was the best edition of this car if equipped with type -s and 6 speed.

So my wife has a 2007 TLwith a lot of miles on odo and does not like the styling of the current GEN. So, she has a UA6-UA7. She has had TLs - a 2001, 2004 and 2007 currently. When I log off, how should I ask her how she likes her UA6-UA7 compared to her previous 2001 UA what? She has had the UA8-UA9 for loaners a couple of times and besides the styling was not impressed with these. So, am I in sync with the "required" vernacular on this thread?
    edited June 2013
    I'm happy to clarify, for your wife she had the Second generation (UA4-UA5) this was for her 01. I'm sure she would agree the current car is vastly superior, while a lot heavy and not as attractive.

the 04- the 07 was part of the Third generation (UA6-UA7)- this is considered the creme del la creme of the TL cycle thus far- infact the 07 and 08 were the years to get as they upgraded it a bit- the TL-s came with brembos and other goodies and is best of breed of all TLs. For future reference- even if they are rarely talked about First generation (UA1-UA3 and current is the Fourth generation (UA8-UA9), current gen has lost it's audience and is well known as the beak.

Hope that helps.
    OK. Just checked with wife. She is kind of an enthusiast driver through the years as observed by me in her driving in the twisities locally and in challenging roads (not interstates) around the country on vacation trips. She has selected and bought American branded performance cars in the past. She said she has never heard of the UA designations for Acura cars. She does know the difference between Acura TL vintages 1999-2003, 2004-2008, 2009-2013. Does she need to know more with regards to peculiar factory coding?
    peculiar factory coding is for ultra- enthusiasts which I am not, sorry
  • scwmcanscwmcan Member Posts: 399
    Nice joke thread about codes for the model years guys
    If that's the case I will hold on a little longer to my 2009.
    I will probably go German next but time will tell.
    Sorry billy. This special edition TL is nothing more than an appearance package according to edmunds.com

"Honda's Acura Division reported on June 3 that it sold 12,434 Acura TLs year-to-date through May, a drop of 15.3 percent compared to a year ago."

Yeah TL sales are around 40% of the peak sales years ago- this beak issue was never addressed the way they quickly fixed the civic- shame car was very attractive to the segment. Unfortunately now it's only attractive because of massive discounts- the looks are just to over the top ugly. I remember in 08, 09 and 10 when I got banned from an acura TL forum because I was questioning it. My point was Acrua had lost it's way- graphguy and nycitycarguy and smarty666 all over me for saying the current TL has been a disaster, and that both Buick and Hyundai were making huge strides catching Acura. Thanks NYC for reinforcing my point 4 years later, I also like the fact that both NYC and Graph now troll German,'smarty is Mia, I'm still banded but no one looks at that board anymore.
    Those TL Type S' still bring stupid money used. I don't know what they are crossing the auction block for, but do an autotrader or cars.com search and you'll see quite a few of the 2006 (not sure if 2006 or 2007 was the 1st year) -2008 TL Type S' listed for mid - high teens with over 100K miles.

Does anybody have the actual TL sales numbers 2004 - 2008 to compare them with the TL sales numbers from 2009 - 2013?

Wiki has those numbers
    OK. My wife had the UA4-UA5 (BMW and Mercedes afficionados should approve of my detail) 2001 Acura TL. When the 2004 came out in early Oct 2003, we both test drove it and she said she had to have it because of its improvements in handling and of course styling. That would be the UA6-UA7 factory codes. About 3 years later, because she puts lots of miles on her cars, she then wanted to upgrade to the 2007, which was still the UA6-UA7 vintage as long as I would take over her 2004 UA6-UA7 car and put up with the high mileage. Since her purchase of the UA6-UA7 (2007) both she and I have had occasions to have loaners of the UA8-UA9 gen 2009-2012 when our cars needed routine maintenance beyond simple engine oil changes. I noticed, just as C&D and other testers, that steering was kind of weird. OK. Now, with a lot of miles on the 2007, and 2004, will Acura come out with a new maybe UA10-UA11 in 2014 or will it be in 2015, that will look great and have improved handling, etc, to entice us to stay with Acura.
    edited June 2013
    They have pricing detail on bimmerfest for 328 diesel, sedan only so far. It is $1500 more than gasoline. This may actually work, for first time. There are no EPA mileage numbers yet, but depending on driving style and type of driving, but looks better than ever, especially for a highway driving. Seem like they really want to sell diesel in numbers, for first time.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Dino, BMW has been stating that the 328d will get 45 on the highway. BMW seems very confident of that number, if that is true, they will sell a lot of them. The Diesel engine will come in the wagon and X3. What I find interesting is, there is no word from BMW is the 328d sedan and or wagon will be available in the Euro Delivery program since Europe does not use Ultra Low Sulfa Diesel. I'm suspecting they wont be.
    edited June 2013
    Seems ULSD, i.e. less than 10 ppm, is part of already implemented Euro 5 fuel standard, since 2009, so this is no longer a problem.

Edit - see the link, There is Euro delivery price on 328d, so no problem. Seems you were misinformed.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=378186&stc=1&d=1369- 332610

2018 430i Gran Coupe

I'm glad this diesel 3 series is close in price to the normal 3. Sure the base of the 3 is close to midlux level standard cars and you get less for the buck but in diesel form it would be a decent deal given what avg hybrids area going for. The bmws 3 active hybrid starts at 50k (sure it has 340hp). Question can you get it in x form?
    Yes, you do.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

?
  • luvmytls2003luvmytls2003 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone,
    I'm very attached to my TL-S and start to hyperventilate when I think of another car I will have to buy and drive (eventually).
    It is low mileage 78000, will turn 11 in November, dealer maintained. 2 "bumps" were fixed.
    I don't know or feel any problems. The question is since I am emotional about this car and
    can't let go of it. I already had an old car that I was pouring money into until they couldn't fix it and I was getting stalled at red lights and I gave up after being towed 3 times...yep, that's me.)
    I saw that this is the last year when I can get a $1,500 loyalty bonus.
    Should I be car shopping?
    I went to the test drive today of both 2013 TL and SH options, my car feels more like SH, but I don't like the gas usage- 18mpg city b/c that's where I drive. I get 21 mpg now.
    i am not comfortable in the seat - the headrest is bothering me and side visibility isn't good for me either. The TL is feeling much tighter.
    I am afraid that I won't be able to sell a 2003 car later. I enjoy my car and would buy the same one, only new :-) Thank you for your advice
    Ooops, just one word can change the meaning. I wanted to say "yes, THEY do", i.e. they'll offer xdrive version with 328d. Sorry.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

I figured more than less that it is.
    I will hold on some more to my Pearly White SH.
    I am hoping that the new model year will look more European and not like what I am seeing coming out of Japan right now- Lexus and Infiniti.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited June 2013
    FN....I didn't realize BMW had wagons out. I just never seen them on the road or at my local dealer.

Billy....Saw that blurb on the TL SE. I've heard no rumors....not even a hint, that they plan on bringing out a TL-S. That said, I'm not sure what they would have in the cupboard that would warrant a TL-S. Not sure what the 3.5L from the current RLX would net them. Maybe slap some Brembos and fancy wheels on a regular TL...include their PAWS system. Aside from that, what more could they do given what we know of their available drivetrains? Maybe slap the hybrid motivation that's coming out later this year for the RLX?

Still, for the roughly $40K my sister just paid for her TL SH AWD Advance, I don't see anything remotely close to it for that kind of money given the level of performance and the content.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    edited June 2013
    Wagons... "We don't have them because they don't sell". Of course they don't sell because nobody has them :sick:
    Similar deal with manual tranny. I once, couple of years ago or so, went online and checked all dealers within 100 miles of my Tampa. I think five or six, more than 200 3-series in stock at that time. Not a single manual, no matter coupe, sedan, convertible. No wagons, of course, but that's "normal". Florida is really strange market. Majority of Audis sold here are FWD. To me FWD Audi is like decaf - yeah, you can have one, but what's the point.

2018 430i Gran Coupe