Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Audi does that "styling cue" tastefully and effectively. However, have you seen a recent model GTI where half the entire back bumper is plastic cladding? Looks terrible!

I'm sure it's just the base models, but good lord.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited August 2013
    It looks just about the same size to me - lower 1/3 or so....

• sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    I like the 2 color bumper of the Audi s4 - same as the bmw 3 m package cars- makes it stand out a bit - wish my GF had one.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    While I know I'm late to the party, I had the opportunity to drive a 2013 G37 Sedan (non sport) a little bit last week while away on vacation. Overall, I really liked it. The power it puts out is incredible. The G37 is one very fast machine. It seemed very well matched to the 7 speed automatic which was always in the right gear & very willing to downshift. Interior materials and fit & finish were first rate. Steering was very direct although lighter than I prefer. The ride was comfortable on its 55 series Good Years. I like its cockpit feel. Very nicely bolstered seats too. I was really impressed by how much better the navigation system worked as compared to my BMW.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I said recent base model GTI, not current model top of the line trim GTI.

Look at this atrocity from VW:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK5-GTI-REAR-BUMPER-LOWER-SECTION-PAINTED-TO-Y- OUR-COLOUR-/140769591070

It's such a bad cost cutting design, that there's a business that specializes in painting the back bumper the way it's supposed to be painted. The unpainted versions are more like 2/3 unpainted.

Automakers need to stop being cheap, and paint the entire car.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Gotcha but you need to be a little more specific. The car you reference is a MK5 from 2008...that's two generations ago.

But if you look at the side view, I think you can see why they did it:

The side cladding (to prevent chips to the body) flares up at the back. To paint the lower bumper would have ruined the line.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Plus, leaving it one color would make the rear end look huge...it would go from an appealing J-Lo to an almost comedic Kardashian.
    I don't know, the gray plastic just doesn't fool me. The bumper is still the same size no matter if you paint it a rainbow of colors.

I will say, that when it's just 1/3 or less of the bumper, or just the bottom edge, it's much better and more attractive than when it rises way up on the back bumper.
    TL-SH AWD: The transmission just feels like a traditional slush-box, slow and laggy. I was told it does better in manual mode, but S mode did little to improve the average performance (typical automatic).

2011 S4 with 29,500 miles: The dual clutch DSG S-Tronic feels like a proper gearbox, one I'm spoiled with in my '06 A3 for 103,000 miles, and I can't see getting an Automatic in a performance car that performs lesser than a dual clutch unit should.

Engines aren't even in the same ball park. Basically, the TL wins on features and tech, the S4 on drive-train.

Prices are not in the same ball park either.

You can feel the lighter weight of the S4, thanks in large part due to it being a bit smaller.

The ELS system blows the B&O system out of the water. However, I heard a DVD-A in the ELS sound system and satellite radio on the B & O (not in the same ball park for source quality).

The Accord Sport is the best money can buy for my money at the $25K out the door price point.

Need to check out the new redesigned IS350 from Lexus, though the F Sport version I'd want might be too expensive. Also will check out the ATS for giggles, but I can't see myself getting over my political objections to GM /Cadillac even existing (not to mention I'm not really a fan of the looks/styling). The IS 350 is an interesting design, though the front end is a bit TOO too much.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    andres....I can't quarrel with any of your assessments. Pretty much the same feelings I have.

The only differing opinion, as mentioned, I helped my sister buy a TL. She also looked at the re-done Accord. Personally, I could tell where the extra money went for the TL...suspension, steering (found both a bit too light for my tastes), upgraded materials in the TL, sound system, etc. But, as you say, for $25K you'd be hard pressed to find a better car.

The S4 is more "hard edged" than the TL. As you say, it's lighter, smaller, more tossable. It's also faster. The S/C 3.0 is so sweet, and even faster than the previous S4 V8. But, the price for that isn't insignificant.

If I hadn't had so many issues with the MMI/B&O I might feel different. But, the TL's Nav/ELS trumps the S4's B&O. Seats are nicer in the TL, too....better leather.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the new IS350. I came close to buying one a few years ago. It was a little luxo rocket at the time. I just couldn't get either of the two Lexi dealers (owned by the same guy) to really get to what I thought was a fair price. We did get within about $500, but then they acted like they were insulted that I wanted to get less than MSRP.

I think those same dealers are readily taking less than MSRP, now. The lack of product from Japan's tsunami and all the bad press over their cars inability to stop a few years ago I think really hurt their business....at least locally.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • billyperksiibillyperksii Member Posts: 198
    I think the entire LEXUS line up is comical (no insults intended).
    The GS for example, a car I dearly loved when I was in college, seeing it in person is a big disappointment-it looks Korean and cheap compared to the model it replaced. Again, these are just poor old Billy's assesments and no insults are intended.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    edited August 2013
    Our 2011 FX35 is coming off lease -- and Infiniti has already tried to lure my wife into another Infiniti with an "early out" or "pull ahead" deal (you know where at least 3 months of the lease is forgiven, plus any miles over are wiped off the books.) In the time frame where we switched from German to Japanese, the primary motivation was the super sub-vented lease deals offered by (at the time) Acura and Infiniti. We've actually grown to have more than a modest amount of appreciation for the Infiniti and, truth be told, my '12 SH-AWD TL Advance Acura has certainly made me confident that its reputation for durability is probably well deserved.

The issue -- of course there is an issue -- is that theses otherwise fine cars still fall short of the driving pleasure of the German cars that have dominated our garage since 1977.

We've driven, recently:

Audi A4 2.0T '14 MY
    Audi A6 2.0T quattro '14 MY
    Audi Q5 (both 2.0T and 3.0T) '13 & '14 MY
    BMW X3 (with the turbo four) '13 MY
    Infiniti FX37 '13 MY
    Infiniti Q50XS '14 MY
    Volvo XC60 T6

I'll jump to the most important points (in my mind):

The Q5 3.0T can be very nicely configured for a hair under $50K -- and compared to the S4 vs the A4, feels like a bargain.

The BMW nicely configured is breathtakingly expensive from an MSRP standpoint, perhaps there is a super sub-vented lease deal on it, though.

The Audi A6 2.0T Premium Plus with Sport Package costs about the same as a NOT fully equipped Infiniti Q50 AWD -- but the A6 isn't nearly as quick. The A6, however, feels like a very good deal (the 2014 has a slight HP bump).

I'd hold off on the A4 until the new one comes here next year -- it seems just like my 2009 A4 Prestige Sport -- not that that is a bad thing, but it seems more dated, somehow.

The Volvo is very nice, but mostly because in T6 form it is very peppy. The deals and lease programs on the Volvos make them probably the most expensive -- which is to say they cost too much.

The Infiniti Q50S AWD is slightly NORTH of $50K -- and that is without vented seats and without blind spot monitoring. The car is super nice -- but it feels small inside and although the interior is a huge leap forward over the outgoing G, $50K is too much for what you get. If you're looking for performance -- it seems to have it, but the engine in the Q5 3.0T is, about a million percent smooooother.

Already the Q50 is being offered in AWD trim for $399 per month on a super lease deal (at least here in Cincinnati) -- so maybe the breathtaking price of the Q50 at MSRP should be taken with a grain of salt.

Too bad you cant get an A4 with the Q5 supercharged engine in it (and not have to pay the premium to jump into an S4.)

Bottom line -- it is a great time to be in the market for a new car. However, there may need to be a reality adjustment for Infiniti -- for as nice as it is, we still can't call the BMW the German Infiniti, we still, however, call the Infiniti the Japanese BMW.

Based on the driving of these cars (and yes, I do know there are three CUV's in the above list), the Q50 and the Q5 are the most rewarding -- both in performance and luxury. The A6, if you're looking for a "bargain basement" sport luxury vehicle is also worthy of your consideration (they must have done something to make the A6 2.0T feel THAT strong!)

The next few shopping months are gonna be fun!

Drive it like you live.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    As always, appreciate & enjoy your adventures
    at 'new vehicle time.'
    Thanks for posting.
    - Ray
    I'll give you 3 ¢ ...
    2022 X3 M40i
    Here is one aspect of the bundling of features and options the automakers seem hell bent to force onto us: the nearly autonomous capabilities some of the technology seems to imbue these cars with comes at a huge cost ($ cost.)

I have now had blind spot monitoring for nearly 6 years -- and as much as I am against the government telling us what we HAVE to have, must pay for, etc, I am literally dumbfounded that BSW isn't as standard as turn signals, brake lights and seat belts. Infiniti, for instance, offers BSW as part of a package of technologies that literally makes the Q50 damn near capable of driving itself -- and the charge is over $3,000. Audi and Volvo charge $500 to $700 -- which has to be about 90% margin.

My point is, why not offer an unbundled price list -- I don't want all the autonomous driving stuff (at this point) that you are forced to buy if you want the perfectly reasonable and proven BSW technology.

On the other hand, if you really do want all of the mitigating technologies offered, I would understand a bundling discount.

For years, it used to be you had to order a truckload of options just to get a heated steering wheel -- or you had to get leather seats if you wanted rear seat heaters.

If there is a technology reason to bundle some feature set, I'm OK with that -- but at this point, the current generation of autonomous technologies offered are just not likely to be used by either my wife or me -- but we want BSW, just like we want turn signals, ESP, seatbelts and so forth.

Additionally, so many of the new EXPENSIVE options offered seem to be computer processor, software or chip based -- meaning super high gross margins. Why make me buy lane keeping technology and automatic cruise control when what I would find far more useful is BSW.

Assuming I can justify a $50K Infiniti Q50 when a much nicer A6 quattro sport is about $1,000 more (and that includes BSW) why ding me for yet another $3K when all I want is a fairly priced (~$600) technology that has saved me tens of thousands of dollars as it warned me my blind spot was full of a big ol vehicle just waiting for me to have a stupid attack?
    Seems like a long post for one option- my opinion which means zero - you can get a 50k q50 with bsw - I'm sure at that price point one would get a boatload more car then an 51k A6 with BSW. (Again I've not done the apples to apples research)

This BSW must be something for one to go off on such an item- one would also argue the bSW and other options on that package are options that most people would not want- I like options packaging as long as the lower options (sunroof and nav) get priced at the lower end of the packaging range and not forced on you with other packages like BSM and lane departure - things I can live without. I think the Japanese have made options packaging a thing because it cuts down on costs. German cars can be ordered ala cart which is cool -

Drive fast, take chances - sween
    Yes, a long post if the entire spirit of what I was "on about" was a single feature -- my peeve is with the concept of being able to choose to select a set of features or to customize. I am fine with the concept of discounting if a bundle is selected. Yet, there are customers who would upgrade and add X option but are discouraged from doing so by virtue of the bundling cost.

I read an article about the concept of the "option-less" vehicle. In short, since most of the options are software or firmware based, it is actually more efficient to build every option possible into every car and charge those who want it.

Our IBM computer, for instance, has a capability called "computing on demand" essentially the computer is delivered with the biggest baddest CPU made -- but it is hobbled at 60% 70% 80% etc capacity unless you're willing to pay for the extra horsepower. Some companies pay for 2 days of full horsepower once per month for the monthly demanding processing routines.

My last Audi -- with the assistance of a free software program and a $300 cable, was able to have any number of features enabled or disabled via a laptop. Companies -- both factory approved and not approved -- offer performance upgrades via a reprogramming of the vehicles on-board brain. Volvo even offers a PoleStar upgrade to its turbo engines -- for a price.

Point is, we've been at a time and place in technology where our cars are largely controlled by software, so putting in every possible feature or option into every car and charging those folks like my wife and me to turn features on and off, would be a revenue (and income) enhancer.

Mass customization has been possible for some time -- and it would be a money maker. Bundling just pisses people off or puts them off spending.

On the other hand, BSW is one of those things that once you have it, you can't imagine how you ever lived without it.
    I hear what you are saying and it makes sense about the full packaged car with expandable options, even after you leave the lot. (Would like to see the software program that includes wheel and tire, sunroof, seats, suspension and other items thou). The car makers will learn a lot about what tesla is doing with its customizable options and production line efficiency. Bsw seems like a good idea to be standard - but I wouldn't use it.
    At the risk of raising the ire of the moderator, I am wondering, not critically, why you wouldn't use BSW? To underscore the point, I would assume you don't stick your arm out the window to indicate you are turning -- you flick the turn signal stalk, yes?

My first experience with BSW was accidental -- I ordered a new Audi A4 in 2008 with what was then the just announced Prestige package. BSW came standard (as did a backup camera).

I, initially, thought, how lame -- backup cameras are for mini-vans, real "men" (or women) don't need no stinkin' backup camera. As I recall, the default for BSW was to come on when you started the car (like ESP, ABS, and "auto" for the Audi Drive Select system) -- then, you could punch a button to turn it off.

After a few times of "forgetting" to turn it off, I noticed that little amber stack of LED's (in the outboard mirror housing) come on when there was no one or nothing around -- you know, I checked my mirrors. Well shut the front door -- multiple times over the initial few months of having this "excuse to charge more" feature (that I didn't even order), I would see the light come on, see nothing in any of my mirrors and "just for the heck of it" I would look over my shoulder, and damn if there wasn't someone in my blind spot.

In short, I came to not only appreciate BSW, I started to count the number of times the lights came on that I would have sworn no one was near me -- just one time of ignoring those lights (or, god forbid, not having them) would have been at least a 4-figure episode at a body shop (or worse, especially if it had been on the freeway.)

What I am saying is that I was (past tense) in the same place you're in when my new 2009 A4 came in in October 2008 equipped with this "who needs it" piece of tech. Further I am suggesting that as perhaps stupid and simple as it may seem, it is right up there with such things as sealed beam headlights, turn signals, brake lights, backup cameras and holes in the roof.

What once were vices (?) are now necessities.

Finally, don't discount it until you've had it for a few months and find out that it has both a positive financial and safety feature.

Drive it like you live.
    edited August 2013
    No offense but I think I'm a good enuf driver and constantly scan my mirrors and understand my driving position at all times on the road. I'm not saying its not a useful tool certainly to people who are preoccupied by other driving features not we all are saddled with. I've used the lane system thing in a m35 a few years ago for a week when I swaped cars with a co worker- I found myself looking to shut it off every time I started the car. I like technology but do we need cars that drive itself like the new q50? I can count the lawsuits. I can see its benefits but I wouldn't equate it to seatbelts, break lights or blinkers (or even slipmanagement systems).

Drive fast, take chances
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    No offense but I think I'm a good enuf driver and constantly scan my mirrors and understand my driving position at all times on the road.

You must be outstanding then. I've never had a significant accident in 40 years of driving (knock on wood), but I've definitely had times I started a lane change just "sure" that nobody was in my blind spot, then heard a horn honk! How many drivers, really, have never made that mistake?

While I've never had BSW in one of my cars, I can see how it would be useful.
    How many drivers, really, have never made that mistake?

I consider myself an excellent driver (don't we all!!). Just this week on long highway drive, I started to change lanes and lo and behold, there was someone in my blind spot on the passenger side. I got the typical Masshole horn blow and swerved back into my lane.

Did I check my blind spot? No I didn't and most people don't.

I've driven a car with BLIS and it's a great item to provide an assist for all of us excellent drivers.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited August 2013
    "I would see the light come on, see nothing in any of my mirrors and "just for the heck of it" I would look over my shoulder, and damn if there wasn't someone in my blind spot."

I've never had a vehicle that had a blind spot if my mirrors were adjusted correctly. Just google adjusting mirrors and you'll find advice. Keeping my head almost absolutely straight ahead I can glance in my side mirrors and see both adjacent lanes if I'm driving in the middle lane of a three lane. The rear view is for for that....rear view. When a car leaves my vision in my rear view mirror the front grill of the vehicle appears in my side mirror. When I actually am going to change lanes I lean and turn my head and look in my side mirror and make sure I am missing nothing but I never have to turn my head and look over my shoulder. Never had a close call when I checked....only those very infrequent times when I might have been a little agitated and started to make a quick lane change did I even come close to a problem. Been driving over 40 years and never had an accident involving changing lanes and not seeing someone. This was taught in driver's training I took during high school and I probably really got used to adjusting my mirrors correctly driving a truck and having to use just the side mirrors to back up with.

If you are driving looking straight ahead and glance to your side mirrors and can see any part of your vehicle, then your mirrors isn't adjusted right. You don't want to see your vehicle....you want to see the lane next to you.

P.S. Is it just my browser or did the ability to BOLD, Italicize, etc disappear???
    "You must be outstanding then."

Yes

"While I've never had BSW in one of my cars, I can see how it would be useful."

I said the same thing in my post.

Drive fast, take chances
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    "While I've never had BSW in one of my cars, I can see how it would be useful."

Traveling all over the US and being in cities that I'm not familiar with, trying to navigate freeways, toll roads and highways, listening to the GPS at times can be daunting to say the least. I like the BSW feature, I just had two 2014 Chevy Impala's ( In Chitown and San Fran) with this feature, and I liked it. I arrived in Chicago during rush hour traffic (thanks to ATC delay) and it was a nightmare.

When people are traveling the same route everyday to work or the store or in laws house, one really doesn't need the BSW, but when you unfamiliar cities BSW is very helpful.
    "P.S. Is it just my browser or did the ability to BOLD, Italicize, etc disappear???"

Nope they are gone from mine too, I hadn't seen them in a few days. At first I thought it was my iPad, but they don't show up on my laptop either. I wonder if its an upgrade....
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Nope they are gone from mine too, I hadn't seen them in a few days. At first I thought it was my iPad, but they don't show up on my laptop either. I wonder if its an upgrade....

Last time this happened I think it took weeks for it to get fixed....Edmund's IT is not too fast...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    They got lost in a recent maintenance outage. Hope they'll return soon - sorry.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

edited September 2012
    Sounds like USAirways IT department...
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    When I bought my 2012 Mazda CX-9 last year, the only trim level I considered was the top-level Grand Touring. The 20" wheels and chrome door handles totally change the look compared to the lesser models (and their 18" wheels are hideous and look cheap). It also had Mazda's BSM (Blind Spot Monitoring) system standard, but the very concept seemed ridiculous to me. I expected to deactivate it and never give it another thought.

I've always believed that blind spots could be eliminated with properly adjusted mirrors, which was true based on all the cars I've owned in the past. But the CX-9 is a much larger vehicle that it looks, being classified as a Full-Size or Large Crossover/CUV. Even now, it simply doesn't look that big to me and it feels more like a sporty mid-size sedan behind the wheel than any other SUV I've ever driven.

Even with my mirrors perfectly adjusted (which so few drivers ever learn to do), there is a blind spot on both sides at the rear corners! I'm not sure exactly how other systems work, but on the Mazda there are cameras mounted under the rear bumper at both corners. When a vehicle enters the space that a camera is monitoring, a yellow warning light (little picture of one car driving into the side of another with a big X over it) appears on the side mirror on that side of the car. If the turn signal is activated indicating a lane change and a vehicle is in the 'blind spot', the audio system mutes and a series of warning beeps alerts the driver.

It actually works very well, although I still think a quick half-turn of the head to use my peripheral vision to make sure the lane is clear is important! Mazda has expanded the functionality of the system in some 2014 models to include Rear Cross Traffic Alert. RCTA uses the same cameras as BSM to scan for vehicles moving toward you as you back out of a parking space.

I am a very alert and focused driver. Instead of focusing on the car in front of me, I am always scanning further ahead so I can be ready to brake, maneuver or accelerate instantly if I need to. Even when I have no need to change lanes, I love the fact that I always know if a vehicle is flanking me on either side. For example, you're driving on a 3-lane expressway and suddenly a delivery truck drops a refrigerator right into yoru lane and you have barely a second to react. Knowing which side of your car was clear for your to swerve into that lane could be life-saving information!

While I find BSM to be useful, some of the latest 'safety' features available are over-the-top and seem like addded complexity just so they can add more acronyms to the car's features! The new 2014 Mazda6 has a Forward Obstruction Warning System that "detects obstructions ahead and warns you of a possible collision." My car already has this- it's called a windshield, you look through it and if you see something in your path, you press the brake and/or steer around it.

There's also Mazda's Radar Cruise Control that monitors the distance between you and the vehicle ahead of you and adjusts speed up to a driver-set limit or down to maintain a safe following distance. Um, if I'm using cruise control then I'm on an interstae with two or more lanes. If a car ahead of me slows down, I don't want to slow down with them, I will go around them!

My mom was shopping for a new car earlier this year and the Acura TSX, Nissan Maxima and Volvo S60 were on her short list. We went to the Volvo dealer near my house and started walking the lot so she could see some different inteiror colors, available wheel designs and other features that can be difficult to decipher by looking at a brochure.

I have a rather dark sense of humor at times and I consider sarcasm (or smart@ss as my nana called it) my second language. My mom has a great sense of humor but she's a lot nicer than me (most of the time) and never rude or sarcastic, but every now and then she'll fire back a retort to a comment I make that surprises the heck out of me (and proves that I've been a bad influence on my own mom, which makes me very proud)! =)

While we were walking around checking out the S60 models they had in stock, we were greeted by a saleman who barely looked old enough to drive a car, much less sell them. He was obviously very green and instead of screwing with the kid's head, I actually decided to be nice. He started going over the cars features and one of the first topics was-

Collision Warning with Full Auto Brake and Pedestrian Detection

The Full Auto Brake with Pedestrian Detection was the world's first and he went into great detail. He explained that it was active at speeds up to approximately 25mph and, if it detected a pedestrian ahead, it would alert the driver if there was enough time to apply the brakes, or it would automatically cut the throttle and apply full braking force automatically if necessary!

I couldn't resist and asked, "But what if i WANT to hit someone in the road ahead?"

Before he could speak, my mom replied instantly- "Well you'd just need to be going over 25mph. Under 25mph you'd barely maim them, at best..."

**I have never been more proud of my Mom in all of my 39 years!

The poor salesman (sales-boy, sales-child?) had a look on his face that I can't convey in words...he excused himself less than a minute later and the Sales Manager came back in his place and we never saw the kid again.....And I was ready to start asking about trunk space and how many cubic feet of space does an average human body occupy...

Once we realized that the Sales Manager was completely devoid of any sort of perosnality, we were bored and decided to move on to another Volvo dealer for the test drive. We both behaved very well right up to the end...when I decided to test the Collision Warning with Full Auto Brake by driving at constant 20mph directly toward the wall of the service department. It worked...but apparently the salesman with us felt that I should have warned him before I did it!? Did I need to tell him before I turned on the stereo, or clicked on the turn signal??? If I'm going to buy a car (or my mom), of course I'm going to test out every feature it has....duh!

There are only three Volvo dealers in Metro Atlanta and we decided not to visit the third one sinice we probably won't be welcomed with open arms at the other two! =)

She ended up falling in love with a CPO 2010 Infiniti M35 Sport with 21k miles on it. My step-dad insisted on going with us to buy it so he could act as a buffer between us...we were on our best behavior...I almost died of boredom. But the car rocks!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    Excellent drivers check their blind spot, every time, no exceptions.

Of course, if you don't check your blind spot, and the system didn't warn you (essentially it fails), how do you prove it, who do you blame, and do they take the liability of payments for damage?

I seriously doubt it, I'd look every time even with the blinking side mirror. If it proved itself faultless after 5 years and millions of lane changes, perhaps I'd ease up on it.
    Lexus IS 350 report.

I drove the regular RWD IS350 and the F-Sport IS 350 (RWD too).

Some Background:
    Several years ago I drove an IS 350 and it had a tremendous engine, it felt very fast and had it all over the TL-S even though the numbers were close, the speed wasn't, Lexus won easy. That is why I gave the new IS350 some consideration.

While a very nice, comfortable, quiet sports sedan, it just feels devoid of soul, with no personality other than being modern and techie.

I am feeling nearly 100% positive the 8-speed automatic must be programmed to allow only 70% engine power during the first 1,000 miles (for proper break-in) even during full throttle acceleration, because I felt the car was slow and sluggish, and not giving me the 305 HP I wanted to feel. I am spoiled by a dual clutch auto, but dang it, I wanted to like the car, but I just didn't.

Superb leather, drive, ride, handled pretty good, well put together, but it just didn't feel like a $45K car. 100% made in Japan; that was impressive.

There just wasn't all that much difference between regular comfort mode, and sport mode, nor from sport mode, to sport + (only in F-sport trim). I felt the '11 S4 had much more noticeable difference between comfort and dynamic (more legit and mechanical; less electronic feeling).

A Lexus dealer quoted me sticker MSRP on one; is it 2002 again? What's the point of online quotes if you just reiterate the sticker price?

While seemingly significantly sportier than previous Lexus attempts, it still comes off as a softer quieter car.

ATS test drive: Some of the same feelings, though the 3.6 is much more refined and has more punch than the 2.0T. The interior doesn't do it for me in the ATS though. There are a few interior parts and pieces that you can tell belong on a 10K car, not a 50K car (moon/sun roof cover is one). The 2.0T felt like 200 HP since that's what my Audi had stock with its 2.0T. Maybe Audi underrates, Cadillac overrates, and there you go. The ATS was a good handler though, but didn't feel fun. The 3.6 was more fun, and sounded better under hard acceleration. Changing from TOUR to Sport mode didn't do much.

The ATS chassis and suspension was upset and unbalanced by minor imperfections in the roadway. A 1" deep 1' diamter circle in the asphalt would be run over in my Audi and ignored, but in the ATS, it felt like the back end came out and I wasn't going fast, nor accelerating hard at the time. Happened with both ATS' trying both engines.
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    Interesting discussion about safety nannies. I bought a Volvo S60 last year with the tech package. The only one I find annoying is the lane departure warning, so I have it turned off.

I think each driver is responsible for the safe operation of his or her own car. Technology can fail. I like blind spot warning, but I still visually check the blind spot before changing lanes. On the other hand, I'm not perfect. The eyes and reflexes aren't what they used to be. So, if technology can give me a "heads-up", I'll take it.

Love the S60, BTW.
    Andres...thanks for the update. You and I seem to have the same perceptions.

While I haven't driven the '14 IS 350, and I doubt it's on my radar anytime in the foreseeable future, it's good to hear initial impressions.

I did test drive an ATS. The 2.0L is coarse, to say the least, and certainly not remotely as smooth as the Audi 2.0 turbo. The 3.6L is smoother, but I'm not so certain it performs any better than the 6 cyl. Like you, I found some of the interior materials to be "Chevy Cruze" looking.

It did handle well, but also as you point out, the suspension crashes a lot over the slightest road imperfections to achieve most of its handling abilities (that, and some impressive weight trimming).

Again, to me it didn't feel like a mid $40K car.

Markincincinnati, I was wondering how the 2.0L in something as big as the A6 would work. So, you're saying it isn't sluggish?

I like the Q5. And, a Q5 with the S/C 3.0L would be the first vehicle I'd be looking at IF (BIG IF) I were ever in the market for an SUV.

BTW, the S4 is over in Beechmont (already tried Montgomery twice) for the 3rd attempt to fix the Quattro "binding" issues, and iPod issue resolved. They put me in another A6 3.0 for the weekend. Man...is it nice, fast and handles well for a big car. That said, it's also much "softer" all the way around coming from the S4.
    edited August 2013
    Although I had previously seen the "Car & Driver" set up of the three mirrors that adorn modern autos, I did a double check last night after work as I made myself and the car ready for my 20 mile commute home (up I71 North from downtown Cincinnati). The set up of the mirrors and the driver's posture and seat position are very important to reducing (but as I came to find out, NOT eliminating) the blind spot. My 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD advance comes with BSW. I assume it is a radar like system, rather than a camera system.

Sitting up straight, hands at 9 and 3, not slouching, etc, I began the drive up I71. I was in the center of 3 lanes. In my three mirrors, I could -- so I thought -- see cars coming up on the right, center and left and I could see the perfect transition of the image from one mirror to the next.

It is indeed critical that the outside mirrors do NOT show you a view of the side of your car -- the key is to set them exactly at the point where you just lose sight of the side of your car.

OK, so I am thinking, "with my mirrors, seat and posture all perfect, I probably don't need BSW." The thing is, I look around and more than 50% of the drivers clearly appear to be slouching and/or talking on the phone, fiddling with the phone's key pad or, with a cool day like yesterday, driving with their windows down and their left elbow hanging out.

So I think I am in the safe zone blind spot wise. Less than one mile up the freeway, my left BSW comes on and stays on. I am looking in all three mirrors and I see nothing. The thing is, there was a car one lane to the left hanging at a geo synchronous position just out of the view range of the left outside mirror. I know this because after the light stayed on for more than 5 seconds, I took my foot off of the accelerator and almost immediately the car "hanging" out on my left rear became visible. Without the light, had I attempted to change lanes (to the left), I assume I would have either heard a horn honk or, worst case, been clipped (or perhaps I would better describe it as I would have been the clipper and the guy in my blind spot the clippee.)

Nothing anyone could have said to me, back in 2008 would have made me spend money to buy BSW -- it just came along with all of the other things I wanted on the Prestige trim level. But it is a great technology.

Perhaps there is something that someone here could say to persuade the doubters to make certain they at least gave BSW a chance to prove its merits. I have no idea, however, what those words would be.

Suffice it to say that it is very possible to greatly reduce the value of this technology by properly setting your mirrors, steering wheel and seat position. However, I can only assume that it is the MINORITY of folks who actually do this.

Therefore, however, notwithstanding: this technology is (relatively) cheap (except when Infiniti makes customers spend $3,200 to get BSW in a package that contains a bunch of technology that seems overpriced and perhaps not ready for prime time insofar as most drivers are concerned) and it works -- typically better than we humans are able to do every time.

I can remember when I got a car -- in 1985 -- with ABS, I also remember 13 years ago getting a car with ESP. ABS and ESP were, for over a decade, available as options, primarily on expensive German cars. Now most cars come with ABS and many come with some form of vehicle stability software (ESP). Way back when (mid 1980's) these technologies came on Audis, they actually had a button on the dash to turn them off -- and I can remember reading letters to the editor in car magazines decrying these electronic nannies. Now, however, we recognize that the computer can pump the brakes 18 times a second -- but that we mere mortals are lucky to get two pumps in a second. We also appreciate the "miracle" of ESP in its ability to apply the brakes to one or several wheels at a time to reduce or eliminate spinouts and other out of control automotive behaviors.

The list of technologies that I rejected, in multiple letter acronym form, would fill up the page -- now I expect them and appreciate how they keep me out of many dangerous and/or expensive situations, situations that seem to grow in frequency as our highways become ever more crowded and our drivers ever more unprepared to drive defensively.

In any case, I'll sign off of this topic and hope that you will seriously consider testing or taking a trial term with blind spot warning technology.

I predict BSW will be made "standard" equipment in the not too distant future -- assuming it can be turned off, perhaps that is the best possible outcome for folks like me as well as the doubters among us.

Drive it like you live.
    S60 would love to hear more about your experience with the car- don't see too many of them
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    edited August 2013
    Sween,
    I posted my impressions of my S60 about a year ago. (BTW, this is the FWD S60 T5.) It's number 14708 on this thread and was posted 8/14/12. The only thing I can add to that is when accelerating hard from a dead stop there is slight "turbo lag". Acceleration from say 55 to 80 is immediate and effortless. The only nagging problem I have is that sometimes the seat memory won't hold the position it has been set for. I had a minor interior trim issue that the dealer took care of. I'm getting better gas mileage now than I was when I wrote the review. I still very much enjoy driving this car, which now is just shy of 12,000 miles.

This is my first vehicle in this class, so I have no idea how it compares to say an ATS or 3 series, outside of it being more affordable. I love the looks of the ATS, but to equip it the way I wanted was not in the budget.

Anyhow, if someone is in the market for this class of car, I'd recommend that they take one out for a spin. I'd be interested in hearing from someone who crossed shopped the S60 to find out their impressions.

Hey, I just noticed that just after my original post, you thanked me for the info. You're welcome. You asked why not another Avalon. My wife and I were anxiously awaiting the 2013 Avy, but when we saw that front grill, our hearts sank. It's a great looking car inside and out, except for that, in our opinion. I think I was ready for a change anyhow, having owned 1 Camry and 2 Avalons, all very trouble free, but not very exciting cars.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I test drove a new 320i today. Plain Jane with auto tranny, engine idle-stop, and leather or vinyl - I couldn't tell.

Anyways, I was surprised by it's pep - torquier than I expected. Engine was smooth (not straight-six smooth, but Honda I-4 smooth, yes) and turbo lag was very minimal. It isn't a fast car, but it felt quick. Confident power for merging onto freeways and passing at speed. Handling was very nice too - smooth and refined and I didn't really sense any vagueness in the steering (very tight and responsive, but road feel is non-existent). It felt more nimble than other recent 3ers I've driven. Cornering was surprising flat and tenacious at 8/10ths.

Overall I think it's without a doubt the nicest Buick I've ever driven. Not outstanding, but very competant. If someone gifted it to me, I'd keep it.
    fed.....thanks. You're the first person I've heard from who has driven a 320i. Matter of fact, I haven't seen one on the road yet. Saw a couple at the BMW drive event, but no one was test driving them.
    I actually had one last year as a rental when I was in Toronto for two weeks. I always reserve a 'Premium' class vehicle since I travel for 2-3 days per week at least 36 weeks each year. I'm a Commerical Insurance Premium Auditor and the audit expense is billed to the client as part of the contract. Part of my contract with the Audit Firm I work for is that I only stay in at Hilton properties (Hampton or Hilton Garden Inn if possible), I fly busines class and whether I'm driving from home to the client of flying somewhere and renting a car, I can rent anthing I choose as long as it is within $25/day of what I would get for mileage reimbursement in my own car. In reality, I get the Premium cars for a lot less than what I'm allowed!

Anyway, I spent two weeks in Toronto last March and my Premium-class rental car was a 2013 BMW 320i. I've had a 328i here in the U.S. a few times also and, to be honest, the Candian 320i and U.S. 328i look, feel and drive identical 95% of the time. The only time I perceived any difference was under full-throttle accelration, particularly in passing/merging situations more so than from a stop.

Last month, I had to visit a client located about 75 miles west of Los Angelese in the middle of godforsaken nowhere! When I got to Southern California, I prefer to flying to Orange County and drive another 20-30 miles than deal with LAX! I coudn't get a flight into Orange this time, but if I was willing to deal with a plane change in Phoenix that added almost two hours to my trip time, I could fly into Bob Hope instead of LAX. I decided it was worth it because flying into Bob Hope is like flying into Key West, it's so small and everything is so easy and fast.

I was pleasantly surprised that, for the very first time, I had a rental BMW that wasn’t White! This one was a gorgeous deep blue that I later found out is called Imperial Blue Metallic. The reason the rentals are usually White is because any color other than Alpine White or Jet Black is Metallic and costs $550 extra. I was hoping that the $550 paint option might mean it was a heavily optioned model for once.

When I was handed the key fob, I realized that it didn’t appear to have the Comfort Access keyless entry, so that dashed any hopes of it having the Premium Package. I opened the door and the Venetian Beige SensaTec (Leatherette) was a pleasant change from the usual Black faux-leather. After I loaded the trunk and got in the driver’s seat, I started reaching to adjust my seat only find the power seat controls had been moved…..and then I finally realized that the seats were 6-way manually adjustable, just like my 2006 Mazda3….and manual driver’s seat didn’t have adjustable lumbar support! I had never. Even my 8yr old Mazda has lumbar support!

I have been spoiled by most other rental cars and by my 2012 Mazda CX-9 because I hadn’t dealt with manually adjusting a seat trying to find the best position in years! No one else ever drives the old Mazda3, so the manual seat never moves.

I’ll give BMW a little credit for seat design and comfort, because even without the lumbar adjustment or any power adjustments, it was still a comfy driver’s seat. Thankfully it wasn’t a COLD driver’s seat because it also lacked heated front seats, which the previous 3-seriees I’ve driven included….

I found the Window Sticker folded up in the glovebox after I got to my hotel that night. This was the most strangely optioned vehicle I’ve ran across in years. I knew something was different about the interior but couldn’t put my finger on it. Then I saw on the Window Sticker that the Dark Burl Walnut Wood trim on the dash was $500 and it replaced the target. I assumed it that the Dark Walnut was part of the Venetian Beige interior color, but that wasn’t the case.

The car had a Power Moonroof which I assumed had become standard on the 3-series until I that Window Sticker. The car still had one oddball feature for me to discover...

Even though it didn’t have the Cold Weather Pkg (Heated seats, alarm system) or the Premium Package (dual power seats, moonroof, Comfort Access key) ; it had the $900 Lighting Package with the Xenon headlight and Adaptive Light Control!

Here’s a recap=

$32,550 – Base MSPR
    550 – Imperial Blue Metallic paint
    1050 – Moonroof
    500 – Dark Burl Walnut wood trim
    900 – Lighting Package (Xenon light and Adaptive Light Control
    925 – Destination Change

$36,475 was the Grand Total….

I love the color combination with the deep Imperial Blue outside and Venetian Beige interior; the Silver Matte trim that looks good with the Black interior is also standard with the Beige, but I the darker wood trim looks so much better. So the overall appearance and coordination of exterior color with interior color and interior trim was very appealing.

The lack of Power Front Seats is unacceptable on a car that sticker over $36k! Dual power front seats with driver’s seat memory are optional for $995 and would be much more useful than the Xenon headlights.

The BMW 320i reminds me of another car that I often rented back in 2011-2012- the Infiniti G25. The G25 was identical to the G37 Sedan in appearance and standard features. The only difference was the G25 has a 2.5L 218hp V6 in place of the G37’s 3.7L 328hp V6. The G25 smaller, less powerful engine had the unexpected benefit of being smoother and quieter than the G37’s big V6. The G25 was also a pleasure to drive, handled very well and even with 110hp less than G37, it never felt underpowered or like it was missing anything. At least until you got behind the wheel of the G37 and learned what the phrase ‘stupid-fast’ means! After driving the G37, the G25 wasn’t quite as appealing.
    Evaluated on its own merits rather than comparing it to other 3-Series models, it is a surprisingly fun car to drive and feels 100% BMW. But after driving the 328i, comparisons are inevitable and the small price difference may not seem like such a deal???

After driving the 320i and even the 328i in the past, the car I rent most often remains my favorite among entry-level luxury sedans- the Volvo S60 T5!
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,163
    All BMWs are optioned way requested by the sales managers or customers, within model allotments, of course. My guess for the reason of the oddball combination is that the dealer had some rigid price target in mind and grabbed options that fit that without really thinking if they made sense. Perhaps that was also a reason the car landed in the rental lot, as they couldn't sell it retail.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    edited August 2013
    I haven't seen one on the road yet either. The white one I drove (with manual seat that I thought was just fine) was at the BMW Drive Event I participated in. The event was poorly run so I only had time for the one drive, but the free BMW travel mug was a nice bit of swag.

I still haven't driven the 328i so I have no basis to compare, but based on my drive, I think most people will be perfectly happy with the power of the 320i. It felt lively to me, and was the most BMW-like BMW I have driven in a long time - meaning, it had a fun, playful, lively, zippiness about it, with ideal ride/handling compliance and enough power to be fun without being scary (like my friend's 2010 M5 I drove a couple weeks ago!).
    Back in November 2005, I was shopping for new 2005 or 2006 Mazda 3 s 5-door. It was introduced in 2004 and still a very hot seller when I started looking at them. I wanted it in Gray or Silver, 5-speed manual, Power Moonroof AND without Black Leather interior. In 2004 and 2005, Mazda didn’t use trim levels (Sport, Touring, Grand Touring} so there was just a 2005 Mazda s 5-door with five major option packages- ABS/SAB (ABS & side airbags), Moonroof/6CD (self-explanatory), Xenon/TPMS (Xenon HID headlights & Tire Pressure Monitoring), Leather Package (Black was the only choice) and Navigation Package.

All of the packages except Navigation were available in any combination with no pre-requirements that one could only be selected if another specific one was also selected. The exception was that Navigation required the ABS/SAB and Moonroof/6CD Package.

Initially, I was surprised to find any new 2005 models left in 11/2005 and, the few that were still available were discounted heavily considering that getting $1000 of sticker on a 2006 was considered a steal! But then I realized that most of them had very odd option combinations. I found a 2005 s 5-door in Titanium Gray with Black/Red cloth interior, 5-MT, Moonroof/6CD (exactly what I wanted so far) and it also had the Xenon/TPMS Package which was fine since it was discounted almost $3k off MSRP. I finally realized the problem- it didn’t have the ABS/SAB Package! No ABS was a deal-breaker at any price!

Mazda also introduced a special edition a few months into the 2005 model year called the ‘sp23’. It was based on the s 4-door or 5-door and it added a new Bose audio system, Leather interior, heated front seats for the first time, Rain-sensing wipers and several other upscale features. It was only available in one color called Carbon Grey but it could have Black or Saddle Leather interior. I found a sp23 5-door, 5-MT with the Saddle interior advertised for $1500 off MSRP which was a great deal since most of these went for full sticker. The only options available were a Power Moonroof and a Safety/Security Package that included the ABS/SAB & Xenon/TPMS Packages from the regular s 5-door plus an alarm system and it was $1600. I seriously thought I had found the perfect one, especially with the gorgeous Saddle Leather (the only reason I didn’t want leather was because Black was the only choice until the sp23 and the Saddle option was only one this special 2005 model. My best friend and I drove six hours from Atlatna to Mobile, AL planning to buy it and bring it back home with me! When I got there, I realized that it didn’t have the Safety/Security Package, so it didn’t have ABS, Side Airbags, Xenon headlights or Tire Pressure Monitor!!! It had Bose, Moonroof, Heated (Saddle) Leather, Rain-sensing freakin’ wipers BUT not Anti-lock Brakes….I almost cried until I realized how stupid it was that Mazda allowed the car to be configured in such a way….

For 2006, ABS was made standard across the board and the Sport, Touring and Grand Touring trim levels were introduced. The Touring added front door-mounted side-impact & front and rear curtain airbags standard. The s Sport 5-door didn’t offer any options other than the 5AT. To get the Moonroof/6CD option, I had to go with the Touring (which I would anyway for the side airbags) and Leather was optional on the Touring (still Black and still not heated) but anyone who wanted leather went with the top-level Grand Touring which included most of the sp23 features (Bose, heated leather,Xenon). It made locating a car with the features you wanted a lot easier. But nothing is ever really easy for me! When I finally figured out that I wanted a 2006 Madza3 s 5-door Touring, Titanium Gray with Black/Red checkered cloth, 5-speed manual with the Moonroof/6CE Package, there were just two exact matches within a 300-mile radius of Atlanta. One was in metro Atlanta and the other was in Knoxville, TN. I went to the Atlanta dealership on a Wednesday the week before Christmas 2005, relieved that I would finally have my car. Instead I had the single worst experience of my life (not worst car buying or dealership experience, not the worst experience as a consume- it literally the worst day of my entire 31 years and still holds that distinction now that I’m 39)! I won’t even start talking about it because I start shaking from rage as I even think about it. But I was so angry that I smoked all four tires in my mom’s Grand Cherokee as I backed out of my parking space and it didn’t faze me a bit when I almost clipped the Sales Manager in the parking lot AND I backed out with my the gas to the floor and didn’t manage to stop going in reverse before I backed thru one of the huge plate glass windows of their showroom. That did stop me from going in reverse, and I just put in Drive like nothing had happened and left jet black drag marks all the way across the parking lot to the main road….THAT was my response to the three hours I spent there and how I was treated….they didn’t even call the police after I crashed thru the showroom in Reverse- My parents weren’t the least bit upset or angry at me over the $8k in damage I caused to their $45k 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland after I told them what I had been thru! I started the video recording on my cell phone shortly intp the ordeal just to record the audio, which it did. By the end of the following week, after contacting Mazda N.A. and telling sharing the audio recording, the Internet Sales Manger, New Car Sales Manager, General Manager and Finance Manager at the dealer were all Terminated for Cause per a Written Directive from Mazda N.A and the owner of the dealership was given a harsh and formal reprimand. He no longer owns that or any other dealership!

I need to quit rambling and go take a Valium after that, but at least I won! I went the following week to Knoxville, TN and the Southeast Regional VP at Mazda N.A. arranged fort the me to be in-and-out in les than 30 minutes, loan docs and all! I got was greeted by the GM and Sales Manager in the parking lot (I had called to let them know I when I was about 10 minutes out) and 25 minutes later I was doing a quick walk around to make sure the car was absolutely flawless. The VP from Mazda had arranged for a $2500 VIP Customer Rebate (as it was shown on the paperwork) and it also had almost Satellite Radio and about $500 in other accessories thrown in for free!

I didn’t ask or expect the freebies or the big discount, but when I replaced my ’07 Explorer last November, I chose a Mazda (CX-9 Grand Touring) and I drove just over 400 miles round-trip to buy it from the dealer in Knoxville! My next Mazda will come from there as well….
    Good write up on the 320i. Thx. Still too rich for my blood. Priced up a 320xi on the BMWUSA website with leatherette, metallic paint, Bi-Xenons, backup camera, & hot seats. MSRP was north of $39K.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited August 2013
    I agree. It basically costs close to previous generation 328 with nice six-cylinder, better handling, better interior.

BTW, I just got a 328i loaner - my climate control unit lost power, perhaps it is just a fuse, but I was already at the dealer's lot, when I realized that as a possibility, so I just left it for them to figure it out. It's a first failure on the car, almost two years out of the gate. Will see what it is.

It looks like the loaner got this leatherette thing (and moonroof, as well). First touch is OK, but I see it wears much faster (the car has mere 2000 miles and I already see some marks on the seats).

I still hate the steering, but probably not as much, as the first time. Engine and tranny are fast, but oh so rough, especially at a start. Interior is definitely worse in feel. I got aluminum inlays and they seem look OK at first, but after a closer examination they are prone to scratches and gouges. The car DOES NOT feel like $40K+ inside. To add insult to injury, the USB port does not recognize my iPod nano (my car does). I just can't wait to get my car back and it looks I'm not getting a new 3-series any time soon.

In fact, it looks more and more to me BMW went completely insane with pricing. I was so lucky to get my wagon when I did. Similar configuration (added AWD, cause no RWD on wagon and automatic) would be 5-6 grand more on the sticker. Adjusting for AWD, it is about 3-4 grand more - AND it seems they went cheap on interior, namely switches, buttons, etc. I concluded that BMW went completely insane with pricing AND they actually lowered quality of materials at the same time. It amounts into adjusted 20% price increase (money plus quality). All it buys is larger space and better fuel economy. Perhaps some people think it's a good trade off, I personally hate it and it really casts big doubt into what will be my next car. To get me into one of those new ones in some non-specific point in the future will take a discount no BMW dealer is likely to be will be willing to give me. Things happen, but I have to start compiling alternative list.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

It looks like the loaner got this leatherette thing (and moonroof, as well). First touch is OK, but I see it wears much faster (the car has mere 2000 miles and I already see some marks on the seats).

Surprising. I have leatherette in my 2005 Passat and there isn't one wear mark. I have to say it has held up wonderfully.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    For several reasons [ including those you state here ]
    a new BMW to replace my 3 is not even a remote a possibility.
    - Ray
    FWIW
    2022 X3 M40i
    Ditto. Our 2007 X3 that we leased had leatherette & it looked as good the day we turned it in after 3 years & over 46K miles.

edited August 2013
    328 is the sweet spot for the 3 series, in my humble estimation. I don't like the harshness of the 4 cyl turbo, though. Power is good, as is the MPG, however.

Which dealer did you participate in the "drive event"?

I saw an article last week...maybe just a blurb about the recent uptick in the U.S. auto industry, so can't remember the source. But, it went on to state that the new Lexus ES350, with supposedly more sporting pretensions, is suffering a significant sales decline, with the new model.

So, as BMW gets closer to the Lexus's coddled feeling, Lexus is moving closer to the previous BMW's sporting nature.

All the cars in this class are going to end up at a crossroads, where the only differences will be minute, at most.
    Perhaps then it was somebody dragging something trully abrasive through these seats and left a mark. Anyway, I don't really care for those in 40-50K car. If not leather than a premium fabric (like microfiber) would actually be better, IMHO - but I'm sure it wouldn't sell. Some (manye?) people buy those plastic leather immitations of leather for similar reason they would buy fake Rolex or Gucci, even if Timex or Casio would actually serve them better as time pieces.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    ok...I'm interested in the details :)

Driving through a dealership window at full throttle makes you sound like a hot-head and a little un-balanced.

The surprising thing is Mazda didn't push to file charges and threw some money at you...obviously they felt your actions were...reasonable/warranted?

Is the Audio available (posted online)? Or did you sign away your right to share...