Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• billyperksiibillyperksii Member Posts: 198
    "Which gets us right back to the Acura....easy-peezy on reliability and maintenance"

Really!!! my dealer wants $198 + tax for my A12 service which is basically oil & filter as well as air cleaner. The rest is the gimmicky check and balances which is basically eye service and checking a box.
    This is for a TL AWD.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    billy.....personally, I would buy my own airfilter and install it. What would that cost? $15-$20, maybe?

Oil changes...IIRC, when I had my TL, the dealer would send out coupons for a $49.95 oil change, tire rotation and some visual inspections.

I forget. What does the A12 service entail?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486
    I think the AWD TL is the same as the RDX and they add in rear end diff fluid changes that the FWD version obviously does not need, and they are every couple of years.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Thats exactly what I did- i bought my own (parts) and I will take to my mechanic for istallation, air filter, oil and filter change and maybe rear diff (dont think its needed at 24K).
  • sichin2000sichin2000 Member Posts: 6
    If cross shopping was considered, I wonder if MB execs were sitting around pissed at blatant cloning (Genesis) and said lets build a sub-$30k car that's a better looking Sonata and see how Hyundai likes that.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    edited October 2013
    I don't know if I posted that my wife ordered a 2014 Q5 3.0T P+ with the sport interior, nav, B&O, blind spot monitoring, etc. Thing is, as is her "policy" we test drive the crap outta anything she is even remotely serious about. Once she had it down to the Q5, it was a matter of "which engine?"

We drove the slightly HP (+9) up-rated 2014 2.0T with the 8-spd tiptronic; then the 3.0T also with the 8-spd (of course, since that is all that is offered) then the 2.0T and so on.

I decided I really liked the "detuned" S4 engine enough to rule out even an all sported up A4 2.0T S-Line -- meaning a new IS 350 F Sport AWD was the only way to go. At the time, I knew I was not worthy of an S4 -- and besides, they were in a whole 'nother price class.

So, I configured the IS, got a "no strings attached" order placed (apparently none exist with the uprated sound system -- they have to be ordered?!) :confuse: And was prepped to wait 120 days. Mean time back in Audi-ville, the new 3.0T Q5 production reports started coming in -- we even got the arrival date and got the Audi dealer to take the 2011 Infiniti FX35 off of my wife's hands about 5 months ahead of the lease termination.

The Audi dealer is a sweet-heart (due to our lengthy history with Audi and the dealership) and a couple of weeks ago, the sales rep sent me an email offering test drives of an A5 2.0T (with sport suspension) and an S-Tronic S4 (which I had already tested and was smitten by).

To make a long story short, my membership in the Audi Club got me an immediate 6% off of the sticker of a new Audi and *BONUS* got my wife a $1,000 loyalty bonus on her inbound 3.0T Q5.

It was like watching the Exorcist 128 times in a row -- "It got better and better every time."

So, I said, get me a new S4 in Ibis white (a no charge paint color) and nav and B&O and blind spot monitoring and I'm there.

No wait.

Get me one, like the above but with the Magma Red Leather interior and carbon fiber inlays.

There's one in the US (in NY) and none on a boat. Never mind, I'll order one.

Days later -- email dings: The NY car is yours.

It is being trucked from NY to Cincinnati practically as we speak.

Hmm an S4 vs an IS 350 F Sport? The S-Tronic transmission (DSG) is worth the price of admission and the supercharged engine is, well, incredible and, all things considered, economical. Put the thing in dynamic mode and it is a four-door hot rod. Keep it in comfort mode and it is just south of a full-on LPS.

I've never had a red interior -- but the pictures of the leather and the contrast with the white exterior seem, er, almost tasteful.

I'm starting to feel more worthy. :surprise:

Good bye Acura TL, good bye.

DILYL
  • sichin2000sichin2000 Member Posts: 6
    Congrats!
    Correct me if I am wrong, based on Edmunds TMV, 6% off MSRP translates to a approximately $200 over invoice: $54,725 MSRP as I optioned = $51,442?
    edited October 2013
    I believe you are right. When I started out, pre Audi Club discount, the dealer offered 5% off. The ACNA certificate bumped it up to 6%. The dealer discounted the Q5 MORE than 6%, so the ACNA discount wasn't the best deal.

My wife ordered the Q5 in Curvee Silver with the Chestnut brown sport interior giving her sport seats (ahhhhhh) and the three spoke steering wheel with paddle shifters.

Funny thing, the S4 S-Tronic has paddle shifters but the car is smarter than most people (like me), so you're better off leaving the S-Tronic to its own devices. The 8-speed tiptronic, however, only comes with paddle shifters if you get the sport interior (which is rare), and the 8-speed benefits from them.

Here's one that puzzles me: why not market an A4 with the same engine as the Q5 3.0T (a detuned S4 supercharged affair good for 295 ft pounds of torque)?

I haven't had a speeding ticket in almost 20 years -- gulp! The S4 could easily break that streak.

I think the S4 has "high-def" (is that right?) radio too; my wife's last BMW had that and it was quite enjoyable and actually had better fidelity than sat radio.

More info once I get the thing.

DILYL
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Congrats on these cars. Great choices, great colors. I've always liked the white/red leather combo since (gulp) the 70's. Either this or the black with red, I think are among the nicest. The great thing about a red interior is that it isn't drab like black or light beige interiors. It's also easy to keep clean and every time you get in the car, it really pops and you'll be energized. (Can you tell I like red?) Anyhow, good luck, and keep us apprised.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    "Good bye Acura TL, good bye."

I think you enjoyed it, but there's nothing like going back to the mother ship, apparently.

You and a number of ther people on these boards have gone through 4-6 cars in the time it's taken me to live with two. The second/current is an Acura TSX, and it's not given me a bit of trouble, beyond the fact that the damn driver's door wants to close itself far too easily. That's the sum total of my complaint (singular) in 5.5 years and 80K miles of driving. It drives the wrong pair of wheels, but has a delightful manual transmission and a suspension that was developed for the rest of the world, so I'm very pleased overall.

You can now continue bumping up the number of Audis you've been in possession of over the years. Sounds like your wife has returned to the fold also.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • ztz199ztz199 Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a 2010 tsx when i got home i wanted to check the oil, when i pulled out the oil dip stick i noticed that it was black not like the ususal silver ones i have never seen a black one, i couldnt even tell if the oil was clean or not untill i used a towel and saw that it was a bit dirty, my question is...is the oil dipstick supposed to be black and why would the oil not be clear, the dealership did change the filters cleaned the whole engine before i took it home
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    The A12 does not include the rear diff; that is a 6 in Acura-speak. A12 should be oil change, filter chg, pollen filter and tire rotation.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Would be interesting to drive an S4 back to back with the full Quattro (rear differential add-on) vs. the BASE Quattro AWD. To me that would be more important than the inlays.

Besides, I prefer the aluminum inlays to the carbon fiber, and they are cheaper to boot!

Do 100% agree on the magma red interior being the best, I got mine ordered with the Misano Red exterior to go with it. I'm no longer afraid of cops; I'm too old and too wise; but they still waste my time with court appearances.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    markincincinnati....congrats. Mine is Ibis white with the black leather and alcantara seats.

DSG I leave in sport mode. No way I could shift a manual and throttle blip as fast as the DSG does.

Mine is the same as andres and yours except for the all leather seats, and mine has the trick toque vectoring differential.

Where did you get yours? Montgomery or Beechmont?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    mark is an Audi Connection guy, I think...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    First off, congrats Mark on the new purchase's.. One question, I was not aware that you can get any other color interior than black with the sport package, every time I built an Audi on line and choose the sport back, the interior would default to black glad to know this isn't the case, Rick has been looking at a Q5 on line..

Now, talking about new cars.... A couple of weeks back I had started talking with the BMW dealer about a purchase of a 320i. Then Rick and I took off for New England and NYC for a week, on my return we continued to talk more, so Friday, I went to the dealership and finalized the deal. It is Jet Black, Beige Leather with Premium Package, 8spd auto. I made out pretty good, 2K built Credit, 750 returning BMW owner, 500 USAA , and 1K graduate money. I used the Costco purchase agreement, which gave me the car $750 over invoice, when it was all said and done, OTD price was $35,275. I took the BMW select financing for 4 years. It was nice to walk out with zero out of pocket. I didn't want to lease the car as my payment would have been higher, and Rick would be using the car while I'm at work.

Drove the car up to Sedona that evening, on this trip up and back averaged 33.6 not bad for a car with 47 miles when starting off. Speed was between 55 to 90, the higher speed was not intentional the car doesn't feel the speed as in my past BMWs. I wish I had the BMW Assist but over on BimmerFest it seem that it can be added to the car.

I have to say, I really like the car, yes, it has elec steering, but the only time you really know it is when you really push the car, and on city streets one doesn't get to that limit. So far I like the 8 spd auto, when in sport mode, the car up shift quickly and down shift just as fast. Now it just to learn all of the fun things that iDrive does...
    Don't know why, but those Audi Connection people (part of the Joseph Group, who also own the Infiniti dealership, among many others) aren't particularly easy for me to deal with.

Anyway....congrats on the S4 Mark.

FN....congrats to you on the new 320i. Nice ride. Keep us posted on how you like it.
    Graphic one unique thing really is, I'll be able to compare it to other cars, I'll be driving rentals more then my own car, so far the 2014 Impala is my car of choice to rent. I wish national would have TL's but no dice. Plenty of G37's though.
    edited October 2013
    FN...seems as if most of the rentals I've been getting lately are Mitsubishis (huh?).
    Mitsu must have done a fleet dump of recent inventory.

I've seen some of the newer Impalas at the rental lots. But, I can't seem to snag one.

Would love to hear about the 320i as you get more seat time in it. Again, congratz.
    Both my wife's Q5 and my S4 came (or will come) from Greg @ the Audi Connection. My wife's 2011 FX35 also came from another Joseph dealership, Infiniti of Cincinnati.

Dealing with these folks has always been a pleasure -- and the Audi Club membership helped with the price (on the S4). Service departments at both Audi and Infiniti have been great, too.

We went ahead and got the Audi Care mntce programs -- something missed on both the Acura and the Infiniti. The premium cars we have had experience with are always very pricey to maintain -- even the Infiniti. On the other hand, the service departments at Acura, Audi, BMW and Infiniti have always been delightful in terms of giving customers the red carpet treatment.

We bought the Q5 and leased the S4. Don't laugh, but we have NEVER purchased a car -- it is scary, since we have always felt that houses should be purchased and cars should be rented.

Those folks who have never leased, probably don't get why we have some fear and trepidation about buying. I guess it is like getting married vs living together. Buying seems like a commitment, leasing not so much. Cars however are transitory, ephemeral -- so, to us buying is a scary proposition.

Now the Q5, based on its anticipated depreciation, is not as much of a financial risk as many cars are.

We'll let you know how this venture into this new experience works out.

DILYL
    Graphic who do you rent through? I only go through National since the company I work for has a contract with them. Two weeks ago I was in Burlington,VT, and rented a Volvo XC60, interesting SUV, no Impala's. But for the most part the bigger cities I arrive in have them now.

I'll write more on the 320 in the coming weeks, I need some seat time in it, I'll be on the road for the next 13 days.. I'm paying for the 13 days I had off.
    I had a real estate agent once tell me that he never regretted or had buyer's remorse with real estate, since unlike cars, they don't depreciate right away. That was 2004.

Funny thing is I think my Condo out-depreciated my car in CA.

Of course, a home can last you 100 years (you could depreciate the purchase over 100 years), and the car perhaps only 10-15 years.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Mark I have to ask you this (not that I am getting personal), but dont you have around 18 months left on your TL lease?
    Are you that unsatisfied with the car that you are willing to eat those 18 months of payments?

Secondly, I disagree with your concepts of leasing/buying cars, I will not get into the nuts and bolts of it- I just disagree.
    The situation with the TL is that I have 10 months left on the lease. At the lease's conclusion, my mileage situation means I would owe about $5,000 to walk away from Acura. Acura, unlike Infiniti, doesn't allow you to buy miles at lease inception at a discount. My wife bought 18K miles per year on her lease, I couldn't do that.

My TL is an SH-AWD advance -- and, after detailing it last week, it looks nearly new. Using three web-sites, plus CarFAX, I was able to determine that to abandon my lease will cost less than $2K today.

So I am going to be ding'd -- a little now vs a lot then. My plan, at this point is to consider buying the S4 off lease (I will have first right of refusal) with a CPO warranty and Audi Care to 100,000 miles. Audi does allow the purchase of additional miles after lease inception, but before the last 6 months of the lease.

As noted, we're thinking buying should not be completely discounted -- so we're taking the buy one rent one (and possibly buy later) approach since we've no experience with buying a car and find the concept almost foreign.

So, yep terminating the lease early will cost me, but not nearly as much as going to full term.

Your mileage may differ.

DILYL
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    Congrats to you both on your new cars! Interesting we are going to have 3 S4s on the board here.

Mark - that S4 is a sick car. you are absolutely going to LOVE it! I'm sure your wife will love that super charged Q5 as well. Can't wait to hear your impressions.

flightnurse - I'm eager to hear what your thoughts are on the 320i being a former ZHP owner.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    So mark, just curious. If you had kept your TL until the end of the lease, what is that car's residual?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    edited October 2013
    I'll second NYC.

Congrats Mark and FN (I saw your pics :) ) on your new cars! Excellent choices all around!
    I saw a Q50 on the way to work this morning. It was a metallic burgundy color and looked really nice. Whoever it was who said a few days ago that the Q50 looks better in person than in pictures was dead on. Its a really good looking car.
    I cannot argue with you, its your money-Good luck with the S4.
    I will probably join the Audi Band Wagon in a couple of years... maybe sooner.
    edited October 2013
    The Audi Prestige and Acura Advance pose at least one question I intellectually understand but "just don't seem right!"

The Prestige and Advance "configurations" from Audi and Acura seem to me to be a way to bundle virtually "everything" into one package. Indeed, the Acura Advance has no options that can be had, the Advance (over the technology package version) adds 19" wheels, heated and ventilated seats and blind spot monitoring.

The Prestige Audi adds a number of extras (on top of the next lower configuration, Premium+) and seems to offer the buyer a slightly better deal when purchased as part of the Prestige package. Although in the case of Audi, it is possible to add most of the Prestige features (for extra cost, of course) to the Premium+. In other words, if you wanted blind spot monitoring, you can tick off that option on a Premium+ version for $500 and NOT get the navigation system which comes standard with the Prestige version.

OK, now that I have tap danced around your question, I'll mention that the top of the line configurations have lower residuals than the "middle children."

We configured my wife's Q5 and my S4 by building up Premium+ models to have most of the Prestige's features which actually means that our residual % on Premium+ is higher than the maxed out contented Prestige models.

You may wonder why we researched the residual of the Q5 since we are buying it -- but the reason to know the residual has to do with knowing at least the possible value of the depreciating asset at various times during the financing contract. In other words, knowing the "residual" does allow us to have an understanding of when the car is no longer upside down. With the S4, the residual is important for obvious reasons, since it is leased. The S4 P+ has an attractive residual indeed which is, of course, a double edged sword.

The higher residual lowers the mo/pay but also raises the cost of buying the car off lease should we decide to go that route.

Now to answer your question:

My 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD Advance has a % residual $ amt = $24,509.85.

The MSRP was = $47,166.30. ~52% residual in other words.

DILYL
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Mark -
    Congrats - enjoy - and please post your
    [ typical ] very thorough impressions here?
    Thanks!
    - Ray
    Currently living through other people's experiences ...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    Property values will prob move higher on this swap as well- nice congrats
    FN....I rent cars through a military program as I do quite a bit of business with Lockheed and Boeing, and fall under their rates.

So, it's usually Hertz or Avis I rent through. I have to say that Avis is really falling down on their game....renting less and less from them this year.

I'm starting to rent a little more with Enterprise since they let me leave my rental car at the hotel where I'm staying and they'll come get it if I'm running late catching a flight and don't have time to go through the rental return process.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    My S.O.'s company has a deal with National, and he likes that (now that he's used to it) because if you're a frequent renter, you get to pick your vehicle. I think getting to drive a variety of cars is the only thing keeping him from getting the "new car bug" at home! They used to be with Hertz, and that was great for the "I don't have to talk to anyone" feature - just your name on the board, go to the slot, and your car is there with keys in it, ready to leave.

Avis - they have that as a choice, and it was their only before they added National. They were the clowns that gave him a Mazda2 as a midsize vehicle. The level of service went downhill from there.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I remember when Enterprise told me getting an Accord with a V6 would probably be a Premium level 2 car rental equivalent. It was then I knew that the categories rental car companies named don't make much sense in real life.
    edited October 2013
    Yeah...the whole "We try harder" ad campaign for Avis really doesn't fit them any more. It should be more like "We don't care".

I have a sneaky suspicion that they'll either merge with some other rental car company, or drastically remake their business model (no frills, no service car rental?) in the foreseeable future.

Back to ELLPS business...saw my first BMW 4 series in person yesterday. My local BMW dealer had one sitting out front as I was passing. Looks really good. I'm afraid to stop and get a closer look, as I'm in my "I'm tired of taking my car to the dealer for service" mood. That usually doesn't end well for whatever car I happen to be driving at the time. ;)
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I have a sneaky suspicion that they'll either merge with some other rental car company, or drastically remake their business model (no frills, no service car rental?) in the foreseeable future.

I don't think Avis is going anywhere. They recently bought ZipCar and will be expanding the hourly rental business.
    robr2....I know for many years I threw Avis a lot of business. Then, for no reason than I can ascertain, their "customer service" went down the drain. I only use them as a last result, now.

I'll have to try National to see if I can snag one of FN's beloved '14 Impalas.

Just read an article from one of the trade rags about the new CTS. Apparently, it's quite a nice car. But, the one they tested had the 3.6L V6 (same as in the Impala, I believe). And, all loaded up, it will kick open the $60K door.

While I've only seen pics, and just read about it, $60K+??????? I thought that price point was reserved for the blinged out Escalades. I'm still trying to justify 4 cyl (albeit tubo) BMW 3s for $50K.

I've also just read where Volvo is dumping all of its 5 cyl and 6 cyl engines starting in '15.

Will withhold judgement until I get some hands on experience, but I'm not liking this trend.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Just read an article from one of the trade rags about the new CTS. Apparently, it's quite a nice car. But, the one they tested had the 3.6L V6 (same as in the Impala, I believe). And, all loaded up, it will kick open the $60K door.

They both use the LFX motor but the CTS get slightly more HP and torques.

As for pricing, the CTS has moved up in size vis a vis the 5 series hence the bump in price. The 5 can hit $70K.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,896
    The CTS VSport has the new twin turbo 3.6L with 410HP. That's the one that is nudging the $60K price point.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

In the CTS V Sport =
    420 hp and 430 lb-ft of torque.

Version of the twin turbo V6 in the XTS =
    410 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque.
    [ Mounted transversely – AWD ]
    Six speed automatic [ vs 8 speed in the CTS ]

- Ray
    Not in that market, today, but interested in how
    the CTS V Sport fares, at that price point...
    2022 X3 M40i
    edited October 2013
    Just the facts:

2014 S4 S-tronic (by default the car is a Premium+ model)
    Ibis White
    Magma Red/Black Leather
    Carbon fiber interior accents (this is the option I did not want, but took just to get it done)
    B&O radio/speaker upgrade
    MMI (etc etc etc)
    UHP All-season tires (18" wheels, 245/40)

Apparently Audi Drive Select (light) is now included on Premium+ models; the missing feature is the adjustable shocks. Maybe that is what is worth nearly $3,000 -- having had this feature on my 2009 A4, I would say it would be worth perhaps half that amount going forward. The S4 suspension, however, seems to have struck a good balance between dynamic and comfort, so color me happy.

It currently has 46 miles on it, is parked in the garage as I am sick as a dog with a nasty cold.

Got the 6% discount by virtue of being a member of the Audi Club of North America -- and as an additional bonus, when my wife's Q5 comes in next month, she will get a $1,000 loyalty bonus in addition to the discount offered by the dealer (which on the Q5 is more than 6%, meaning the ACNA program couldn't help us there.)

QND observation: My last two Audis were a 2005 A6 followed by a 2009 A4 -- the S4 dash and controls are little changed from those two cars (which is more than fine by me). However, the S4 MMI seems to have transformed the car almost into a computer, there are so many features and functions that are controlled by the MMI.

More when I'm better.
    Sounds wonderful.
    Hope you feel better quickly!
    Again, congrats.
    - Ray
    Looking forward to details ......
    2022 X3 M40i
    edited October 2013
    Sounds like a great car to me.

I like the idea of adjustable shocks in theory, but I wonder if that would add additional weight to the car rather than just letting Audi Engineers pick one perfect balanced refined setting and sticking to that.

Also, paying extra on a car that's already 50K (and more) scared me.
    I'd like the supercharged badges too, rather than the misnomer of V6T decals on the side, but they are about $150 extra bucks. The buck has to stop somewhere.

Like I said, if I was CEO of Audi I'd of made the differential and supercharged badges standard equipment.

I just found out my new S4 is ready for the cargo boat and being loaded. The wait is harder than I expected.
    Man, I must be sicker that I thought, I forgot the one deal-breaker option I got on the S4: Audi Side Assist.

This is now the third car I have had with blind spot monitoring -- I can live without many of the optional extras, but this one is a "don't leave home without it," as far as I am concerned.

Good for Audi in making this a single option rather than attempting to bury it along with thousands of dollars worth of other features (like the Infiniti Q50).
    Agreed; Audi allows you to pick ala cart items from the "PRESTIGE" package with the "Premium Plus" package, therefore making the PRESTIGE package pointless unless you like every item it includes.

Acura lost points on this count. I absolutely adore the sound system, but $3K to even 3.5K extra didn't make sense to me. Why is the good leather combined with the sound system "tech" package anyway? Most of that cost is in the Navigation which can be had for $100 in a portable unit.
    I don't want to high jack a thread, but for the company I work for we have a contract with all the rental companies, and I continue to always go back to National. I like that I can go to any car under the awning's and take it without a problem. Lately there has been some interesting cars, I just had a Volvo XC60, as well as S60. I average 60-75 rentals a year and never had a problem with National, that I can not say with Hertz or Avis.
    Mark...major congrats. Yours is identical to mine, with the exception of the seats. I know you're going to love it.

I think you and I must have the only Ibis White S4s in the entire Cincinnati area....as I've never seen a duplicate of mine. You'll find mine cruising around the Liberty, West Chester, Fairfield, Butler County area.

CTS-V for $60K? 410 HP from a twin turbo? Hmmmmm......still, it's a Cadillac, and all the good, and the not so good, that comes with that.

I shouldn't let my prejudices clould stand in the way of a new car:D

FN....I'm not traveling until after Thanksgiving (first time for that in a loooooonng time). I'll have to make it a point to try National when I'm back on the road. Thx!
    edited October 2013
    For $60K I would find a CPO BMW M5. Then Id go trolling for Corvettes and 911's :P

Seriously though, the S4 is a very sweet car. Congrats!
    edited October 2013
    I've now spent a bit of time "initializing" the S4's MMI system parameters -- including Audi Connect (free for 6-months). In terms of ease of use, the MMI user interface remains super easy, one could argue it is almost intuitive. What I do notice, this time, in comparison to my 2009 A4 Prestige, is that there seems to be more that can be configured via the MMI. I had to chuckle when I pressed the CAR button and was presented with the ability to set my INDIVIDUAL preferences and one of them pertained to the engine/exhaust sound: "Comfort," "Auto," or "Dynamic." This option must be there simply "because they could." I guess when your car stickers at north of $56K, you need to be able to rule your domain, so to speak.

I do appreciate the new (to me) ability to speak entire phone numbers and entire addresses without having to spell things out or use the rotary knob to dial in o-n-e l-e-t-t-e-r a-t a t-i-m-e. Big move forward in voice recognition. Pairing my iPhone 5, too, was a snap -- but, there is no easy way to use the iPhone (other than Bluetooth) since the supplied cable is only good for iPhone's up to the 4S models. That is one thing Acura did a better job of: media connectivity. I mean, you could use a USB or a mini-stereo (male) plug or Bluetooth or all three at the same time.

Audi uses its own proprietary cable and you can't have your iPhone set up for two functions: one Bluetooth and one hardwired "connection" are not supported. My primary reason for not using Bluetooth has been I wanted to keep the phone in charge mode while I was driving, and the Acura allowed just that by plugging one end of the cable into the iPhone and one end into a female USB which charged the iPhone and allowed both iPod and Phone functions to operate without first shutting one down to use the other.

It is a small thing -- but sometimes it just makes one wonder why they can produce such a technologically advanced vehicle but overlook what most of us have come to expect in a plug''n'-play world.

Another cool feature -- but one that is NOT worth $30/month after the 6 month free trial ends -- is Audi connect that will actually show google earth pictures on the nav screen -- in excellent clarity. Not sure why I'd pay for that. Now, I know the stated "value" of Audi connect is that it turns the interior of the S4 into a WiFi hotspot -- but here's the thing, the ONLY carrier offered is T-Mobile and the signal is restricted to 3G. Those of you with the outdated Apple iPhone 5 know that your phone can be made into a WiFi hot spot (and that is just a "standard" feature of the iPhone); but, the difference is, depending on your carrier, I suppose, the iPhone can be 4G LTE, which would make someone's laptop using your iPhone WiFi hotspot run faster. Yes, the Audi Connect is more than a WiFi hotspot enabler, but, really, if I needed a hotspot while driving, the iPhone works well and you can buy a hell of a lot of "band" for an extra $30 per month.

I guess I look at Audi Connect as a too expensive technology considering its data fees. If my mind changes, I'll report back to you.

OK, once you get all (or most) of the MMI options set the way YOU want them, you're ready to punch the start button and -- finally -- take this sublime machine out on the road.

I set my Audi Drive Select to dynamic and put the S-Tronic in D (which becomes "S" when set to dynamic via the MMI) and pulled out of the driveway.

The power that is available underfoot is hard to describe -- I am tempted to hyperventilate and gush "the power feels limitless," which it does, but I won't, for I know someone, somewhere will point out a quicker, stronger and even more capable vehicle. For the life of me, though, when I read (or watch on YouTube) the test reports and see 0-60 in 4.4 seconds as the tested performance, I now understand how quickly the S4 reaches speed without muss nor fuss and without my even noticing it. Its "pick up" is so quick AND so smooth, it cautions me to watch the gauges since there are few signals of how quickly speed rises (and I am cautioned by the local long arm of the law, too).

Braking, too, makes me now think I understand how landing on an aircraft carrier must feel -- the brakes shed speed with incredible -- "you've got to feel it to believe it" -- aplomb.

My 2009 A4 was a quiet car to ride in -- not compared to the 2014 S4, though. The S4 almost makes me believe there might be some actual practical purpose to the MMI setting governing engine/exhaust sound -- you might need to hear something to clue you in just how quickly you got to extra-legal speeds. Lord knows there isn't much in the way of an audible cue to give you a sense of velocity.

Speaking of sound -- the Acura TL (Advance) has, to this day, not been bettered in terms of the sound system Acura blesses it [the TL Advance] with -- the B&O sound system in the S4 is "cleaner and clearer" than my fading memory of my 2009 A4 B&O. Nothing, so far, come close to the sound of a DVD-audio recording (or a DTS disc, for that matter), but the current iteration of the B&O system is a welcome improvement. The HD radio as well as SiriusXM probably sound as good as these technologies (and transmission limitations) can deliver, so I'll simply suggest checking off the B&O option box should you choose Audi from the ELLPS list.

With such green tires it is difficult to say anything about the "handling" of the S4 -- since it will surely improve over the next few days as the "green-ness" of the tires is scrubbed away. By the way, I chose (of my own free will) to get the 18" UHP A/S tires instead of the MAX Perf Summer-only rubber. I live in Cincinnati for pity's sake -- the freeways are crowded (so what good is a 155 mph limiter?) and we do have moderate winters with a couple of days of snow cover here and there -- besides, the summer rubber Audi chooses really has a short tread life in my experience. I'll live (in shame) with a 130 mph limiter in other words.

That's it for now.

I'll close and wonder why (considering the price and the "natural comparison") the S4 was not thrown in the mix of cars that were compared to the new Lexus IS F Sport. I would think the S4 might have given the judges pause. We'll see, maybe next time.

DILYL