Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    Of course people would NOT want to buy a Chrysler from a Honda dealer. People also would NEVER buy a Honda from a Chrysler dealer.

True. I wouldn't go to a Honda dealer to buy a used Dodge/Chrysler minivan, unless I was driving by a dealer's lot and saw a cheap sticker price on the windshield.

But that's not to say that the Chrysler dealer isn't going to sell a used Chrysler/Dodge for what the Kelly Blue book says it's worth. What might be a drag on the Honda lot, could sell very well off a Dodge/Chrysler dealer lot.
    What Edmunds.com Says:Chrysler still dominates the minivan market so any redesign of its flagship model will be as important as any of its more noteworthy newsmakers.

What We Know: The exterior changes will most likely be evolutionary on the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country, after all there's only so much you can do with the shape of a minivan. It will, however, attempt to distance itself more distinctly from the Dodge Caravan than ever before. The real innovations will be seen on the inside where Chrysler plans on using this mall-faring monster as a platform for a thorough infotainment and communications makeover. Expect to see every technological gadget you can think packed into the top of the line version including power operated versions of its Stow and Go seats. Expect the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country to appear at the 2007 Detroit Auto Show looking considerably different for the first time in its production from the Dodge Grand Caravan.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Why not? We sell a lot of used Chrysler mini vans because a lot of them get traded in on Hondas!

And you can buy them for a great price because that's what they are worth!
    Don't give me that crap of, that's what they're worth. In just a few days, I will have had my Dodge minivan for a year. I have all the electrical goodies that they put on the SXT and so far it's been trouble free. While it doesn't have a five speed tranny or some of the other things the Honda has on it, it also has no rattles, wind noise,doors that won't open or a lot of the other problems found on the 2005-2006 Hondas. It has a nice smooth ride and a good sound system.

While your Honda is nicer inside and has some nice features, it sure isn't worth the thousands extra I would have had to pay for it. With zero percent financing, I save even thousands more and got my Stow-n-Go seats, which is what I wanted to begin with. Now maybe to some of you rich duds out there with money to burn, that might not be an issue to you. To me it is. I don't have money to throw away and I would rather use those thousands I saved to do what we did in Oct. take an 18 day trip to England, Ireland and Scotland and have my minivan do what I bought it to do, be family friendly and not just a people hauler.
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    just go and pick up a local autotrader type magazine and check it out. DCX vans are good products at their price point, but in the real world they ain't worth a whole lot as a used car compare to the ody and sienna.

The best deals are always the 1-2 year old domestics
    If you're a dcx employee, can you purchase a dcs vehicle using employee pricing for friends and families and the vehicle will be titled under the friends/family name? Is there a limit of numbers of vehicles each employee can purchase?

Not a bad gig for dcx employees if they're gonna split the savings with whoever they're getting the car for.
    I am sure if you take a Chrysler minivan that is three or four years old and put it up against a Honda or Toyota of the same age, you will probably see a three to five thousand advantage for the Honda and Toy. But by the same token, I would bet I have a three or four thousand advantage on what I paid for my SXT over what a Honda would cost with much of the same equiptment. While Honda's have some things you can't get on Chrysler, and there is things Chrysler offers that can't be gotten on the Honda or if they can, on much higher priced models. I think it works out in the end. You either pay more in the beginning or get less in the end. OF course if you keep it as long as I usually keep my vehicles, trade in value is not an issue. Plus, I am sure at zero percent financing, I have another big money advantage that neither Toyota or Honda people are getting.

If I keep having as much luck with my 2005 as I have this past year, I'll be happier still.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    Wow, you sure had a load of buckshot in your posting! You fired a broadside at the Odyssey based on what facts, the complaints on Edmunds?

If you are happy with your van and had a nice vacation so be it. I have had none of the "problems" with my Odyssey you mentioned. I did own a Grand Caravan that was one of the worst piles of junk ever assembled. :lemon:

I am going to go home this evening and break out the champagne to toast my newly proclaimed status of "rich duds". Heck, I might even go over to my local Honda store and buy another Odyssey so I could claim status of "super rich duds". :)
    Wow, you sure had a load of buckshot in your posting! You fired a broadside at the Odyssey based on what facts, the complaints on Edmunds?

I would think those complaints surly should be taken into consideration. Many are complaining of the same things. I am glad your not having problems with your van, I feel good I haven't either.

Depending on the age of your old minivan, I am sure you had your share of problems with it. Chrysler had a slew of them, especially during the 1990's and even in the first year or so of the 2000s. But they have been building some very good minivans in the last 4-5 years.

I have always given Honda and Toyota their due in building very good vehicles. But unlike some of you Honda owners that want to make Chrysler vehicles look like a bunch of crap, you guys have your problems too. You just don't want to admit to them when comparing the two here. Many don't want to admit how much better Chrysler quality has improved. While this is my first minivan, it is by far not my first Chrysler product and I have seen how quality has gone up on many of their products. My brother has a 2001 Plymouth minivan. His luck with his, helped me decide to buy a minivan. Stow-n-Go made me want to buy the Dodge and get rid of my 2001 Dodge C.C. Dakota. Which I also had no problems with in the four years I owned it.

Never once have I ever said Honda/ Toyota ever built anything but a quality van. But I am sick of Honda owners saying Chryler/Dodge vans are junk or that you get what you pay for. I got a well built van and paid a good price for it. I got most everything I wanted on it without going heads or heals in debt. I also know all about Honda quality. I also own a 2004 Honda Civic. I am willing to give credit where credit is due. To bad many Honda owners aren't willing to do the same and quit pretending their vans are trouble free.
  • morganvmorganv Member Posts: 49
    we too own a civic and its been a very good car. But you're right about the real story behind the odyssey resale value. We've been trying to negociate with the honda dealer on a mini-van. But they won't come any closer than $5100 more than a dodge. the odyssey is nice but not that nice. besides, hauling around five kids I don't think we need the most expensive van out there. And although the honda interior is nice and my husband thinks it handles nicely I can just see that interior in a few months of loading kids and stuff. we dont need to spend 5100 just to brag that we have a honda. Most people we know that have the chrysler minivans are very pleased with them and have few problems. so I think we'll probably go that route. the honda dealer seems like he's doing us a favor. the dodge dealer let us have a van for 4 days and we really liked it. It has some features on it that i would think honda would have but dosen.t.
    I agree. While the Dodge/Chrysler interior is not nearly as nice, it is family friendly. It would be a lot harder to mess up the interior in the Chrysler/Dodge. And those stow-n-go seat bins can hide a lot of kids toys, blankets, ball equipment, diaper bags, tools, battery cables and what have you, and keep your van still looking neat.

The battery saver feature saved me a dead battery the second day I had my van. The grand kids pushed two of the reading lamps on and I didn't notice it until the next day when I was going to the store and noticed them on. If it hadn't been for the battery saver, I would have had to call AAA.

The Dodge/Chrysler vans are very family friendly. Just go to the store and have something big to load and find out you can get it in with stow-n-go seats and not have to pay $35.00 delivery charge or go home and take the seats out.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Why the anger?

I didn't say anything bad about your beloved Chryslers.

You happen to like them and that's a great thing. People should buy and drive the cars THEY like and not what someone else thinks they should be driving.

But, I'm sorry...the market dictates pricing. Cars sell for what they are worth just like anything else.
    But, I'm sorry...the market dictates pricing. Cars sell for what they are worth just like anything else.

Your right. I guess that is why Chrysler sells more mini vans than all the Japanese vans combined. Many don't think the Honda is worth what they are asking for them. They are nice, but not nice enough to warrant that big a price difference. More vans on the market means more to choose from, which means lower used van prices.

But it's the attitude of many Honda owners on this board that gets me. They act as though they have the greatest van ever made and nothing goes wrong with them. Anything else is just a piece of junk.

While you know I have always admitted Honda and Toyota makes a very good mini van, they are far from trouble free. These boards more than prove that.

While Chrysler has had problems in the past, they are and have been, for the last 4-5 years, put out a pretty reliable mini van. But you'd have a hard time getting many Honda owners to ever admit it.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    And likes it. He says he can't tell any difference between it and a 6 year old Grand Caravan. One day when he got into the 2nd row seat of the GC, he wondered why the right sliding door did not close when he pulled on the handle. :confuse: (He is more interested in playing golf than looking at vehicles either on the internet or on a dealer lot).
    Off topic: was marine2 in the USMC?

Semper Fi ;)
    Off topic: was marine2 in the USMC?

Sure was
    One reason so many DCX vans are on the road is the number dumped into Dollar and Thrifty's fleets every year, other rental companies too. I agree most ordinary people will opt to spend less $$ for the DCX vans. When people do the research and check out the real value and quality they go to Honda and Toyota. As I have said, I am the self proclaimed minivan expert as I am on my seventh since 1983. The Odyssey is clearly the best of the seven, no question. I'm the guy who did the market research poll last year where I actually drove the Freestar, T&C, Relay and Odyssey. It was that half hour drive in each that convinced me to trade my Silhouette for the Odyssey. You can talk all day about the one experience you had with a minivan but it cannot compare with the 23 years and seven van's worth I have. The person who has driven over 100 DCX vans should also be a resident expert. I try to give an honest opinion based on actual ownership. If my Odyssey turns to junk y'all will be the next to know. Whether you realize it or not, we do provide a valuable service to others doing their research prior to purchase.
    Why is it harder to mess up the interior of a DCX mini? Spills on upholstery are spills, period. That statement is not valid. Buy leather seats to avoid some stains. It would seem to me the DCX vans would be easier to mess up. Take a kid who spills his drink or ice cream on the floor in the second row and it dribbles into the Stow and Go compartment. :cry: Same thing in the Honda with the lazy Susan except the lazy Susan compartment has a rubber gasket to keep that from happening. ;)
    I think isell is talking about tradein values
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    "One reason so many DCX vans on the road is the number dumped ..."

I find your buzz word "dumped" offensive as it implies something of little value...as in yesterdays garbage. Other words, such as "cheap" that some members have used, when describing the DCX vans are equally offensive. In previous posts you, and others, have asked for a civil discussion in comparing these two minivans. Yet, your selection and wording of sentences suggests otherwise.The Odyssey may be the best minivan to the self proclaimed expert of minivans...but it is obviously not the best to millions who have chosen something different.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    I think isell is talking about tradein values

I know. That is why I said because Chrysler sells so many, means people looking for a used Chrysler minivan, has a lot more choice, therefore, they would be priced less. It's like anything else, the more there are, the cheaper the price.
    "One reason so many DCX vans on the road is the number dumped ..."

I find your buzz word "dumped" offensive as it implies something of little value...as in yesterdays garbage. Other words, such as "cheap" that some members have used, when describing the DCX vans are equally offensive. In previous posts you, and others, have asked for a civil discussion in comparing these two minivans. Yet, your selection and wording of sentences suggests otherwise.The Odyssey may be the best minivan to the self proclaimed expert of minivans...but it is obviously not the best to millions who have chosen something different.

This is what I meant before. It's attitude of many of these Honda owners. You don't see that nearly as much with Toyota owners.

As for the only reason Chrysler sells so many is becaused they're dumped on rental agencies, that doesn't work either. Chrysler sells to Advantage and Thrifty exclusively. They also sell to Enterprise and Hertz, along with G.M. Ford and Kia. National and Alamo get their vans from G.M. So G.M. sells to as many rental agencies as Chrysler and they aren't even in the running for minivans sold in a year.

As for how good Honda is, I believe they have the best minivan out. They have several very good features that many other vans don't have. But they are not trouble free as Honda owners would like people to believe and they are very over priced. That is why many people buy Chrysler minivans. They don't have all the fancy features of a Honda, but they are good looking, smooth riding, quiet, reliable and fairly priced. Much like comparing a Caddy to a Buick. Even though we know the Caddy is nicer, we know it's no more reliable than the Buick. As a matter of fact, Buick is the most reliable car G.M. makes.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Please don't categorize all of us Honda owners by just one or two people! My OPINION, is that any "slams" on one car or another should be backed up with fact, not with harsh words. This is true of all forum-ees.
  • ajbolitajbolit Member Posts: 6
    Well, got my 03 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 2.5 years ago from the auction. Paid 14.500$. Loved the van - didn't have any problems till 48k on odometer - at which point the transmission needed to be replaced. Thank god, back than Chrysler did offer 70k powertrain warranty and it was covered. But 48k for the transmission? I thought that problem was solved by Chrysler few years back. Anyway - there is no way I am going to keep that van after 70k and there is no way I would buy another Dodge in the future. Shopped at Toyota dealer today - they are willing to give me 5000$ for my Gr Caravan trade-in - where are my savings now? Unless I am able to sell it by owner, the cost of owning that vehicle going to be as big or even bigger than Toyota or Honda (Sienna being a better one as far as my concern). Not to mentioned, Chrysler doesn't offer their extended warranty for 70k free of charge anymore.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Please don't categorize all of us Honda owners by just one or two people! My OPINION, is that any "slams" on one car or another should be backed up with fact, not with harsh words. This is true of all forum-ees.

Great points. Folks, please take another look at the title of this discussion. We're not here to compare/critique the owners of these vehicles -- just the vehicles. Characterizations of any owners of any vehicle here are likely to insult 50% of the participants.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Well if your willing to take that kind of cut on a trade for a Toyota, you shouldn't worry about the tranny going out, you could buy three transmissions for what they want to give you and for what it's worth.

Chrysler does have the tranny problem fixed. But like everything else, there could be a lemon tranny there. It also could be the tranny had the fluid changed and Chrysler fluid was not put back in. They stress that you can not use any other fluid but Chrysler fluid. Some tranny dealers still believe you can use an alternitive fluid and that just isn't so.

My brother had his changed about a month ago at a independent shop owned by an old neighbor. This guy also didn't put Chrysler fluid in my brother's van. I told my brother about it, even showed him where Chrysler said don't do it. Still my brother didn't change it. He said the guy works on trannies all the time and knows what he's doing. I am just waiting for him to have problems down the road.
    And as of 12/29/2005, I do NOT personally know one repeat Odyssey owner. (Could it be because the oldest Odd owned by a person I know is a 2001 Odd EX.?) :shades:
    My sister got a used 1986 Caravan with 11 K miles and 1 year old. Sold it to a friend when it had 170,000 miles with NO problems other than being underpowered.
    Why did she sell it? Her husband wanted an Explorer to pull a large camper and could not pull the camper with a 4 cyl Caravan. ;)
    My brother's Plymouth minivan is a 2001. So far he put front brakes on it and it needed a freeze plug replaced. I guess that's not to bad for a 2001.

My Sister back in Ohio, just bought a 2006 Chrysler minivan.(But black in and out?) Noooo

Tomorrow will be the first anniversary since I bought my Dodge and also the same day and month I retired. I asked my wife what she was going to get me to calibrate my two anniversaries. She says you forget our anniversary and you remember that? You get nothing from me.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    And as of 12/29/2005, I do NOT personally know one repeat Odyssey owner.

Ok, my aunt had a 2000, and now has a 2005. She buys a car every five years, and wanted what she had, but likes the new one even better. Not sure what your posts proves or brings to the table, but it can't be that different from this one!
  • socalawdsocalawd Member Posts: 542
    This is what I meant before. It's attitude of many of these Honda owners. You don't see that nearly as much with Toyota owners.

Well maybe its me your talking about. I also own a Subaru and have owned many DCX products. And probably will own some in the future. I find that most posts are made by a small amount of people who have too much time on their hands. As for knowing what car someone owns when I first meet them usually I have no idea.

As for the only reason Chrysler sells so many is becaused they're dumped on rental agencies, that doesn't work either. Chrysler sells to Advantage and Thrifty exclusively. They also sell to Enterprise and Hertz, along with G.M. Ford and Kia. National and Alamo get their vans from G.M. So G.M. sells to as many rental agencies as Chrysler and they aren't even in the running for minivans sold in a year

I know one area the DCX vans do alot of business! I work as a Field Service Engineer. Thats how I got my first 2 DCX vans we run them for 2 years or 50K whichever comes first. So I'm sure there are alot leased like this for many companies! It will make the resale values much lower. That plus minivan stigma.

But they are not trouble free as Honda owners would like people to believe and they are very over priced.

Mine has been trouble free. I think I payed a fair price for a very good van.
    would think those complaints surly should be taken into consideration. Many are complaining of the same things. I am glad your not having problems with your van, I feel good I haven't either.

There seems to be lots of posts from none onda owners on there most of the non Honda owners from here have more posts then me. Then you have to respond. I think the main issues have been wind noise, break noise, glove box alignment(which they all look the same to me big gap) I have seen one engine, one tranny,and one AC but I'm not upset. I just wonder why people who don't own the van are?? Cause if you use that logic then DCX hasn't sold many vans this year!! Look at the DCX purchase price and experience. Theres nothing there. As for posts Honda problems, heck Jipster wrote 40 of them.
    But they won't come any closer than $5100 more than a dodge. the odyssey is nice but not that nice.

Well that sounds about right this early in the model year. I wasn't too concerned with the nice part or the Honda part(this is my first Honda but who knows if I'll buy another) My wife wanted to look at the Pilot and we came across the Odyssey. As far as minivans go it had all I wanted standard items (side airbags/VSC/EBD) I liked the way it drove and love the passing times braking distances. It is the most comfortable minivan for me. That will make the next 8+ years pleasurable. As for keeping the interior clean. That hasn't been a problem. My last van I was like I don't care about the inside. Just made sure i did all the maintenance. well my 3 kids trashed it pretty good. Now with a few guidelines my van stays very nice. I wipe down the seats(I have leather) in about 15 minutes every 3 months and people think I just bought it. I have over 8K and have had it since the end of May.
    I find your buzz word "dumped" offensive as it implies something of little value...as in yesterdays garbage. Other words, such as "cheap" that some members have used, when describing the DCX vans are equally offensive.

Man where were you when someone came out and called all Honda owners all sorts of names. i believe it was the how to be a Honda owner post. I think dump is a little harsh myself I believe flooding the market to be more PC.
    "Dumped" is not my word, I am not that smart. "Dumped" is used in the automotive press. Anyone here read about five or six auto rags each work day? I do. I first saw the word "dumped" used years ago when Ford, behind Toyota's Camry in sales near the end of the year, would "dump" a few thousand Tauruses into the rental fleets to keep Taurus #1 in sales.

I am not a snob. Our other car is a 2005 Kia Sportage, about as low on the automotive food chain as one can get. (Wonderful car by the way. I post very positive notes on that board)

How many of you out there had parents or are a parent who has told their children "They would have to pay me to buy that thing"? Well, what are DCX, Ford and GM doing with their minivans? They are paying thousands of $$ in rebates to get you to buy their product. Now if that is not dumping, cheapening or lowering the perceived overall impression what is?

I stand by every word I write here. I don't think anyone one of you Honda bashers, DCX, Ford or GM buyers has as much minivan owning experience as I.

Oh, I forgot one other thing my parents taught me and I taught my kids and hopefully my grandson: "Sticks and stones, blah, blah, blah......" :)
  • macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    Maybe the DC minivan is the entry level low cost vehicle as a prelude/or graduate to better/more refined vehicle later?? :)

Just like buying your first little cheap house/condo and then later buy/upgrade a larger mansion when your income improves?

Once you upgrade, it is very difficult to look back.
    One other thing: I believe "pc" has ruined this country. Why not just say what is on your mind, straight out? Being namby-pamby and mincing words is awful.
  • macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    "As for the only reason Chrysler sells so many is becaused they're dumped on rental agencies, that doesn't work either. Chrysler sells to Advantage and Thrifty exclusively. They also sell to Enterprise and Hertz, along with G.M. Ford and Kia. National and Alamo get their vans from G.M. So G.M. sells to as many rental agencies as Chrysler and they aren't even in the running for minivans sold in a year. "

The DGC is the most common minivan across all rental companies and I believe that Chrysler sells the most minivans to them. From my almost 100 minivan rentals, I have seen DGCs, Siennas, Uplanders, and Terrazzas at National/Alamo locations.
    The DGC is the most common minivan across all rental companies and I believe that Chrysler sells the most minivans to them. From my almost 100 minivan rentals, I have seen DGCs, Siennas, Uplanders, and Terrazzas at National/Alamo locations.

Well National and Alamo advertise that they use G.M. vehicles exclusively. So if they are renting out minivans of other makes, it goes to show what they think of G.M. vans.
    EXACTLY why many repeat DC minivan owners started with a 4 cyl Caravan or Voyager and "moved up" to a Grand Caravan or Grand Voyager with a V6 and for third minivan got a GC LE or T&C LXi...and now drive a loaded GC SXT or T&C Limited. ;)
    They have looked at and test driven a cheaper feeling Odd LX or EX but the higher noise level and lack of nice features prevented them from "stepping down" to a noisier interior....even if they had to give up owning the "high tech" VTEC engine. :shades:
    I frequently drive a 2001 Odd EX and closely compared it to the 2002 GC Sport. Result: I bought a used 2002 T&C LX (which is almost identical to the 02 GC Sport).
    I drove the 01 Odd EX again just 4 days ago and was again reminded of the noisier, spartan interior of the Odd compared to the T&C LX...even though the driver's seat of the Odd is more comfortable for me than the T&C driver's seat.
    How many of you out there had parents or are a parent who has told their children "They would have to pay me to buy that thing"? Well, what are DCX, Ford and GM doing with their minivans? They are paying thousands of $$ in rebates to get you to buy their product. Now if that is not dumping, cheapening or lowering the perceived overall impression what is?

You might consider it dumping, but in a way, it's a good idea in the long run to cut prices as much as you can. Especially if your putting out a dependable product. Your building a base of loyal customers that will usually buy your product again when he/she is ready to buy. If the product is good, it also can influence friends and family. Which it did with my sister buying a 2006 Chrysler minivan. She saw what kind of luck my brother had with his 2001 Plymouth minivan and with the incentive Chrysler is giving out now, she jumped on it after driving a number of other vans.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168

I think there's plenty of ammo for Marine based on recalls, and many Ody owners with the same problems i.e..wind noise, brake pad issues etc....
    Well maybe its me your talking about.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!! NEVER!!!!
    One other thing: I believe "pc" has ruined this country. Why not just say what is on your mind, straight out? Being namby-pamby and mincing words is awful.

I'm offended by this!!! I hope you're not offended by me being offended, because then I'd be even more offended than you are!!!

Don't even get me talking politics!!! :)

I'm just making light of the situation. Boy you all are funny. ;)
    NOOOOOOOOOO!!! NEVER!!!!

Oh good I was starting to think the DCX guys didn't like my posts! Well on to posting more of my pro Honda Odyssey posts!!
    Well National and Alamo advertise that they use G.M. vehicles exclusively. So if they are renting out minivans of other makes, it goes to show what they think of G.M. vans.

Hey I looked on the webs sites for both and they show a Toyota Sienna or equivilent. Also saw many chevy/dcx and other brands. During my time I found a article at DCX fleet sales saying the pittsburg police are getting Dodge Chargers for there fleet. Now thats a huge upgrade from what they currently drive. I love the new 300C/Magnum/Charger design. It didn't score well on the initial quality from JD Powers but thats not my bottom line. A guy on my street who's owned lots of cars. Bought one when they first came out and said even paying higher than sticker he got more car than he tought he was getting! Sometimes I miss my 1975 455 HO Pontiac Grand Prix. But I don't miss the 9mpg I got! ;)
    We have 5 kids 3 of them girls who ride. a week of throwing saddles and tack in the van, plus the occasional deer carcass from the boys and their dad makes for a lot of cleaning. we're busy people. the prospect of paying $5000 more for an upscale car thats going to be used for the family tasks that a minivan was designed for doesn,t make any sense to us. And as far as what we want some of those gadgets on the odyssey dont intrigue us. in fact the increased complexity turns us off. thats why weve stayed away from diesels in out trucks in the last few years. as far as I can tell from our test drives, the honda and the dodge were pretty close in how they drove. my husband thought the honda handled a little better but even his man ego admits that its only slightly better. my ears told me the honda was noisier. the ride in the dodge seemed smoother to both of us. all in all the dodge represents a much higher value to us. we drove the chrysler version and it too was nice, but not worth the extra money. another plus: we were loyal ford fans but got bad response from them on our windstar and the last f150 we bought. weve replaced all of our trucks with rams and have been thrilled with the quality and reliability(we shouldve done the conversion sooner. So our dodge dealer has been terrific to work with and has let us take a van for several days. the honda dealer comes off as very arogant (we didn't buy our civic from him). and just leaves a bad taste in our mouth. some of the rhetoric and tonein this forum hasn't helped our desire to own a honda either. we need to replace our crown vic soon and we miss the convenience of a minivan. so many people in our small town own the chryslers and and some of them are on their 4th or 5th and are very pleased with them. I think we know one person that's had a serious problem. but then our school principal has a odyssey thats a couple years old and has had the transmission break twice. We are scheduled to look at the tOyota minivan but we're waiting until after the holidays.
    Of course, we re in a rural community but my mary kay rep went from a dodge to the expensive chrysler model when she traded. and a girl friend of mine and her husband did the same thing. there are not a lot of odysseys around here although quite a few civics and acords. of the 2 I know of they went from cars directly to the odysseys. i can only think of 1 family that went from a dodge caravan to something else and that was a tahoe. there a a few that went from the pitifull windstar to a dodge (or chrysler). there are a few chevys around here, but the dodges are the most numerous by quite a margin. One thing we're sensitive to is rust since we keep our cars & trucks a long time. unless the dodge or chysler is very old you don.t see them rust very quickly. we"ve got 80k miles on our 7 year old civic and there are holes in both rear fenders and around the gas cap door. We see the accords and other hondas do that too. my sisters accord (6 years) had rust around the rear fenders and that hurts resale. she traded that in for the infinity. makes me wonder about the honda van
    ;) And as far as what we want some of those gadgets on the odyssey dont intrigue us.

It really is a waste to pay more for something you don't want. Everyone priortizes what is best for them. Life is really about give and take.

my husband thought the honda handled a little better but even his man ego admits that its only slightly better.

Yep that man ego thing I' surprised we can make any decisions.

the honda dealer comes off as very arogant (we didn't buy our civic from him). and just leaves a bad taste in our mouth. some of the rhetoric and tonein this forum hasn't helped our desire to own a honda either.

All Dealers are differant have had good and bad experiences with all brand. It's not like Honda goes looking for the most Arrogant sale guys and other brands try to find someone you can trust. As for the rhetoric on this forum. If you just used that you probably shouldn't buy ethier van. I think its mostly sarcasm and opinion. I would like to say i don't get caught up in it but I do. Its hard to listen to people saying you are the car brand you buy.

. so many people in our small town own the chryslers and and some of them are on their 4th or 5th and are very pleased with them.

Thats good I'm happy they like it. The Ody just fiy my needs.

We are scheduled to look at the tOyota minivan but we're waiting until after the holidays.

All I know is that the owners of those toyota vans are way nicer then me!! Of course during the 15 years that I owned a DCX product I was a very good person ;) And they say a guy can't change his stripes! :shades:
    or maybe the people selling the high priced van are greedy. its all how you look at it. from our experience honda is trying to sell a lot of prestige along with their van. we don't have a need to be pretentious. we pay cash for our cars & trucks. we couldve owned a cadillac or a lincoln but never have.
    Of course, we re in a rural community but my mary kay rep went from a dodge to the expensive chrysler model when she traded.

Ok a little off subject. But I just looked at your profile. Guess what I lived for 6 years in Canaseraga! On Aber St. My step dad worked for a Diary farmer(I worked there in the summer made me want to go to school!)in Dansville. He was Scott Accomb(maybe you know the family) Accomb view Farms. They had thier own road. Loved the area was a great place to grow up!
This discussion has been closed.