Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Hilarious. Busted!
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Maybe you should just stop digging.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I admitted I left money on the table buying off-the-lot. I made an irrational decision based on emotion.

Call me what you will. Say what you will.
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    Now, that is FAST.

Boy oh boy, If I am BMW I wouldn't be able to sleep at night thinking about all these 3 fighters (or so called poseurs by those BMW faithfuls).
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    I am sorry...my idea of average Joe is NOT screwed up. It's just different than yours. Next time, be more open minded.

Good explanation. Has nothing to do with being open minded. The definition of average is mathmatical, therefore it is not subject to opinion or interpretation. An average is an empirical fact based on data. And I guarantee you that the "average joe" has no realistic intentions of spending $40k on a vehicle. More likely $40k would cover two vehicles.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    The definition of average is mathmatical, therefore it is not subject to opinion or interpretation.

maybe not opinion, but definitely interpretation.

I'd bet everything I have that the "average" joe in my state has a VERY different income than the "average" joe in Montana.

meanwhile, someone else might be referring to the average person across the entire US. Someone else might be referring to the average person in their town.

Interpretation of empirical data is exactly the reason a manufacturer can make some silly claim like "best in class acceleration." Depending on exactly how you skew that class, you could claim ALOT of crazy things.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Like I said, we just have different definitions about Average Joe. Mine doesn't involve any statistics. Here's my defintion:

If one died, and the only people care about it are his/her family, relatives and friends then he/she is considered an Average Joe in my book.
    We know Nissan improved the interior - which is nice. And the 0-60 and power are great. But did they address the handling problems and the NVH regarding the engine/6 speed?

If the chassis is now balanced and doesn't exhibit snap oversteer anymore I'll be very interested. I can live with Nissan NVH (lived with it for years)...
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    You didn't owe it, but I appreciate the detailed response.

I have been a fan of BMW for many years, but I've yet to own one. Your disspointment with the E90 vs. E46 is interesting. Care to elaborate on the differences?

Several years ago, I was handed the keys to a 2001 M5. I thought I'd end up getting one when I could afford it. But, after seeing what i-drive did to the redesigned 5-series and hearing that the new M5 would only come with an SMG, I opted for keeping my TL and getting a 2005 911S Cabriolet last fall. In the 10 months since, I've put 3,200 miles on the TL and 8,600 miles on the 911. A very good decision.

I'm wondering if I will ever own a BMW, or just continue to admire them from afar. I considered the M3 when I was 911 shopping, but decided if I was getting a third car rather than replacing the TL, I wanted a sports car, not a coupe.
    Habitat,

The e46 to e90 differences aren't major to most drivers but I fully understand why the e30 and e36 contingents feels as they do.

Things about the 330i e90 I'm not too pleased with compared to my e46 330i ZHP:
    1. It's 150 lbs heavier than the 330i e46
    2. It's bigger all around.
    3. The interior is wider and more spacious
    4. The ergonomics - window controls are placed wrong, center stack isn't canted toward the driver, dual HVAC
    5. Slower
    6. Long throws of the 6 speed
    7. Higher ride height
    8. Car is taller, thus higher seating position (closer to a G35 now, no longer sports car low seating position)
    9. Less efficient engine
    10. Muted steering
    11. Extremely quiet ride
    12. Utter lack of engine noise
    13. Muted roadfeel
    14. Feeling of isolation from road
    15. Run flat tires

I've been looking at 99-2000 911s as a possible replacement for my 330i. Once you defect to Porsche, I'm not sure you can ever go back to something like a BMW.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "Boy oh boy, If I am BMW I wouldn't be able to sleep at night thinking about all these 3 fighters (or so called poseurs by those BMW faithfuls)."

Yeah you must be right - they lay awake at night worrying. Or are you just worried the G37 still isn't enough car to beat the 335. :)
    Nah, I really don't care if the G35 beats 335i or not. I am not a Nissan/Infiniti fan anyway. My prediction is if there aren't anything dramatic happening the 335i will continue to lead the field until the next generation of performance sedans come out (2010 maybe?).

However, I am interesting to see how this HP war is going to play out. There is got to have an end for this because if not, 5 years from now we'll be looking at bunch of performance sedans with close to 400 HP :surprise: with sticker price pushing $50K. I really hope Lexus, Infiniti and even Acura to concentrate on improving their handlings in order to compete with BMW instead of trying to make some insane engine. I believe that I am speaking for many people here that I think we are all looking for a well-balanced performance sedan instead of a drag strip muscle car.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "I really hope Lexus, Infiniti and even Acura to concentrate on improving their handlings in order to compete with BMW instead of trying to make some insane engine. I believe that I am speaking for many people here that I think we are all looking for a well-balanced performance sedan instead of a drag strip muscle car."

Too funny. We've been having a very similar train of thought over on the Luxury Perfomance Sedan disucssion just this afternoon:

markcincinnati, "Luxury Performance Sedans" #7998, 2 Aug 2006 9:46 am

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    "instead of a drag strip muscle car."

I agree 100% with that thought.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Thanks for the e90 vs. e46 review.

I do think the e90 has been successful in the marketplace because many of the things that bother you (and would me) go right over the head of a lot of non-enthusiast drivers. Some of them are actually preferred - bigger, quieter, heavier.

But I hope BMW doesn't forget that enthusiasts gave BMW much of it's brand equity. If everyone was happy with 4,000 lb A4 Quatros and 300-hp Buick - I mean Lexus - IS350's, there wouldn't be much need for a BMW brand at all.

Some purists even feel Porsche went too far in taking the edge off the beloved 993 model 911 when they introduced the 996. Fortunately the 997, while being a good daily driver, puts back some of that precision and feel.

Good luck in your hunt for a 911. I don't think Porsche and BMW are mutually exclusive in our house, but it would be tough to justify replacing a sedan (TL) that I'm only driving 25% of the time now.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    But, some of the reasons some of you didn't buy a BMW e-90 are the same reasons I did......

--bigger
    --more refined
    --perferred the new interior over the old
    --quieter (at least until you get up in the rev range where it's every bit as smooth....maybe smoother)

That's not to say I didn't like the e-46. I just liked the e-90 better.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Hmm...for me I like the e46 better than E90. Reasons:

1. Better exterior style (BMW, please sent Bangle packing, pleasessssssss)
    2. Driver oriented interior design.

I would definitely consider a 3 as my next car if BMW doesn't use the Bangle design anymore and implementing a more refined interior like the E46's.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    It's amazing how varied taste is. :)

I picked an e36 over the e46 because of how much i disliked the e46 exterior. I thought it looked bland, like a bar of soap, and very feminine.

I was sort of "meh" on the e90's appearance for awhile, but i quite like the looks of it now.

I am also pleased with the new refinement and slightly bigger size. The interior is also a step up, i think, except that is is less driver focused.

I'm not at all a fan of the runflats, and i didn't like HP/torue bias of the non-turbo 3.0L. The 3.0T fixes the torque issue in a big way, however.

dave
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,426
    YOu got rid of your Mustang and bought an E90?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Yep....the Mustang GT was sold (at a profit) when the supplies were still tight on it. Kept it about 9 mos and I sold it for about $1,500 more than I paid for it.

The 3 series is in a whole other class. Of course, it costs considerable more, too. The Mustang was fun.....in a straight line. It handled OK. V8 rumble was a blast, too. But, when you get a chance to drive something like the Mustang for awhile, and then get the chance to make money on it.....I couldn't resist.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    The 2007 TL-S sounds like it's going to be HOT. However, I guess the SH-AWD won't come until the next generation huh?
    Acura does not have great success in bringing out market leading cars lately. The RL, while a wonderful car, is not really a hit, if one looks at the sales numbers in the category.

Maybe Acura learned something, but I doubt it.
    If Acura is planning to sell the FWD TL-S at $39K MSRP I'll say that they had learned NOTHING.
    shrug. Even if they charge only 2-3k more, that'd make the TL Type-S ridiculously expensive for a big BLVD cruising FWD sedan.
  • robertrrobertr Member Posts: 125
    I agree. It's like both Acura and Lexus haven't learned much. Acura doesn't offer RWD and Lexus doesn't offer a manual and they both overprice their vehicles relative to competition that does offer the aforementioned key sports sedan features not to mention better handling as well.
    I just realized something rather interesting...

Infiniti = BMW fighter (superior handling vs. Lexus and Acura, RWD and manual tranny)

Lexus = MB fighter (no manual tranny, focuing more on luxury side and best interior)

Acura = Audi fighter (AWD)

What do ya think?
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Agree with you about the RL but since this is a entry level forum, let's focus on the TL.

If you care, look at the sales numbers for the TL- it's keeping Acura on the map.
    I would hardly characterize the TL or TL-S as a "big-BLVD" cruiser.

You must be confused with the Lexus ES series.
    at least it will come with a 6MT ;)
    Certainly, Acura does not overprice its vehicles relative to its competition in this segment.

Agree with your assesment re: no RWD in Acura or manual available in Lexus but what about all the things that Acura/Lexus offers in its vehicles as opposed to BMW, Mercedes,....

This is an "entry level luxury performance sedan category." These words are not mutually exclusive.
    No, I've driven the TL. It's a blvd cruiser. And at 39k it's way overpriced.
  • richey02hgrichey02hg Member Posts: 69
    The TL is currently saling for less than both the BMW 325 and Lexus IS yet those two are compacts and TL is a midsize. Personally, I am surprised the Lexus IS isnt priced below 30k.
    In the entry luxury performance sedan segment it's not always about the size.
  • jimmy81jimmy81 Member Posts: 170
    And at 39k it's way overpriced

Consider yourself ripped off if you pay 39 large for a TL.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    2007 G35 RWD v. IS350 specs:

Front headroom (w/ sunroof): 39.1" v. 37.2"
    Rear headroom (w/ sunroof): 37.2" v. 36.7"
    Front shoulder room: 55.6" v. 54.4"
    Rear shoulder room: 55.2" v. 52.7"
    Front leg room: 43.9" v. 43.9"
    Rear leg room: 34.7" v. 30.6"
    Cargo capacity: 14 cubic feet v. 13 cubic feet
    Curb weight: 3498 pounds v. 3527 pounds
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    In the entry luxury performance sedan segment it's not always about the size.

Yeah, but sometimes it is. Not everyone in the "Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedan Segment" is going to rip around town at consistently unsafe and illegal speeds while tearing through the manual gear box and jamming on the RWD power train. Frankly, I strongly believe that the superior handling of BMW is tough to benefit from in most day-to-day driving conditions. Contrast that with the convenience compromises of an auto transmission, better snow performance of FWD, and a larger vehicle, and the TL makes a lot of sense to someone who wants a nicer car (Entry Level Luxury) that's got some juice to it (Performance) but can actually fit the stuff and people that make up my life (Sedan).

If that hasn't gotten anyone's juices flowing, consider this: If given a BMW 3-series for free, I'd drive it once as hard as I could just for the experience, and then sell it immediately. The car is just too small for my lifestyle.
    Frankly, I strongly believe that the superior handling of BMW is tough to benefit from in most day-to-day driving conditions.

On-ramps, off-ramps, finding the "long way home", road-trips, etc allow many of us to legally enjoy the benefits of a great handling car.

Contrast that with the convenience compromises of an auto transmission

There is no convenience, IMHO. I travel often for work so i'm stuck driving autos quite often. Never a good thing, in my view. Never. I can be in LA bumper-to-bumper and I'd pick a manual. Gliding, controling the engine, very little braking, etc all make driving a manual more engaging and easier for me. automatics make driving difficult, spotty and dependent on a computer's guess of what you want. No thanks.

better snow performance of FWD

I'll wait for the hardcore RWD people to jump on that one..

and a larger vehicle, and the TL makes a lot of sense to someone who wants a nicer car (Entry Level Luxury) that's got some juice to it (Performance) but can actually fit the stuff and people that make up my life (Sedan).

Funny, mu e90 is too big for my tastes. Yes, I transport people in the backseat. Probably a few times a week. The backseat in the e46, in my eyes, was too commodious. The e90 is ridiculously large all the way around. too wide, too tall, too much interior space. If they'd go back to making BMWs the size of the e30 I'd be a happy, happy boy.

The car is just too small for my lifestyle.

Too big for mine, too small for yours. What exactly are you transporting? My mom had sports cars my whole life. As kids we road in the back of her Z28: trips, swim practice soccer carpools, etc. Even in high school we could fit in that car. Zero trunk space, tiny buckets, etc and we were fine. More importantly mom was happy. Of course now that she doesn't need a "family" car she's got a Miata and a 55 T-bird for her daily drivers. Shrug. I think people believe they need more space than is really necessary for getting by.
    I agree with you and I think that's why TL is the best selling luxury sedan. It struck a good balance between performance, practicality and luxury. However, for me, TL's lareger size is one of the 2 major reasons why I didn't get it (the other one is FWD). I am single and usually don't have people in my back seat so I felt TL is way too big for my situation.
    I am totally not surprised to see blueguydotcom jumped on that post... :P
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    blueguydotcom, I'm confused as to why you would even buy a 3-series. You're complaining that it's too big and too spacious. Why didn't you opt for a Z28, Trans Am, or Mustang GT? You would have had a faster car right off the bat, and you could put some stout, reliable aftermarket suspension pieces on to make any one of them perform way better than a 3-series. And even after changing suspension bits, you'd still be several thousand under the cost of a 3-series. :confuse: Are you truly a "driving enthusiast" or did you just buy into the brand cachet? Because for the price of the 3-series, there are so many other cars that can do what you claim to prefer so much better for so much less money, i.e. 350Z, S2000, Mustang GT, Z28, Trans Am, (heck, Miata!), WRX STi, EVO IX, et al. And for the same investment of money, any one of those cars would absolutely annihilate a 3-series on a track, M3 or otherwise. :surprise:

Why the BMW? The interior? Now you're into pretty much the same reason(s) that other people prefer the newer 3-series, myself included. I like the bigger size, nicer interior, and smoother lines of the new one. On a similar note, I've driven a new 330i SP and if that's what you call too smooth and refined, I'd hate to drive one of the older ones. :surprise: It was noisy, not plush at all, and stiff as a buckboard. That's fine for my Mustang GT (which isn't noisy at all), but if I'm spending 40 large on a luxury nameplate, there'd better be some luxury in it as well as more size; which is why I'm eyeballing the 550i. ;)
  • richey02hgrichey02hg Member Posts: 69
    can some explain to me what the e46 and e90 and all the other E stuff for BMW's. I only know them as 325, 330 etc. So that kind of goes over my head

And yah, I think the pricing on both the BMW 325 and Lexus IS should be priced closer to the TSX than more expensive than the TL. But thats just my opinion. I was considering the IS til I got quote for 31.5k and gettting quotes for the TL under 30k(just cause of the new 1000 incentive...normally 30.5k) and TSX at 25.8k
    There are many reasons why the 325i and IS250 aren't priced closer to the TSX but I'll list the most important 2:

RWD vs. FWD
    4 cylinder vs. 6 cylinder

Also, the TSX is really just rebadged Euro-Japanese Honda Accord thus it gives Acura the luxury to price it competetively.

I'll let the BMW enthusiasts to answer your first question...
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,731
    Poodog and Blueguy are both absoulutely correct. For themselves. And therein lies the rub. The car that you buy is the best for you! No one can argue that point. Only you can say, "Ooops. I goofed. Shoulda bought the TL/3 because for me it would have been the better car..."

I tend to agree with Poodog's post. Including driving an auto. For most of my life I drove sticks (learned on a 4 speed Saab 99, if I remember...), VW Scirocco, Mitsu Mirage Turbo, Acura Integra, Nissan Sentra SE-R (very poor man's, me, BMW 2002!) Saab 900-all sticks. But for me, commuting in the Boston area just took all the joy out of a manual (I actually taught the evil wife to drive a stick and bought her the Saab 900 so that I could enjoy it on the weekends, but she too grew tired of rowing her own during her commute and like all women now drives an RX300). I may indeed return to the manny tranny fold, never say never. But for now, to me the TL offered the best balance/value of all the attributes important to me, including FWD. Which, all things being equal (or even not equal?), I have found to be superior in the snow to RWD. 30 years of ski trips to the mountains of New England have proved it over and over to me.

Blueguy? I think he needs to dump the BMW and get a Lotus Elise/Exige. It's smaller and lighter with much less luxury which sounds like his cup o' tea! :)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

blueguydotcom, I'm confused as to why you would even buy a 3-series. You're complaining that it's too big and too spacious. Why didn't you opt for a Z28, Trans Am, or Mustang GT?

I'll explain why and try not to disparage the cars you mentioned. Compared to the competition the e90 offered (and realize I was coming from an 330i ZHP) somethings I found superior:

Handling
    Roadfeel
    Efficiency
    Ergonomics
    Maintenance
    Pricing
    Manual tranny
    RWD
    IRS

The assembled competition: CTS, TL, TSX, GTI, A3, GLI, A4, IS350, G35, C Class, Legacy GT, Mazdaspeed6, 350Z missed the mark on all or most of those points. Of course my e46 trumped them all easily, the e90 did so too, but not nearly as convincingly.

I like the bigger size, nicer interior, and smoother lines of the new one. On a similar note, I've driven a new 330i SP and if that's what you call too smooth and refined, I'd hate to drive one of the older ones. It was noisy, not plush at all, and stiff as a buckboard.

Compared to my ZHP, the e90 ZSP's Buicky.

That's fine for my Mustang GT (which isn't noisy at all), but if I'm spending 40 large

40k? My 06 330i was far less than that.

on a luxury nameplate, there'd better be some luxury in it as well as more size; which is why I'm eyeballing the 550i.

I wouldn't touch the e60. Way too big. I want a small RWD, manual sedan - like an e30 but brought up today's standards.
    e46 = BMW 3 series (99 to 2005 sedans, coupes from 2000-2006)
    e90 = BMW 3 series (2006 sedans, the 07 coupes are e92s)
    e36 = 3 series (92-98)
    e30 = 3 series (82-91)
    "I agree with you and I think that's why TL is the best selling luxury sedan."

Actually the 3 series is the best selling entry luxury sedan.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Based on the cars I offered up:

Handling - check
    Roadfeel - check
    Efficiency - in what way? fuel? check
    Ergonomics - personal preference
    Maintenance - you're kidding
    Pricing - enough already with the jokes! ;)
    Manual tranny - check
    RWD - check (and AWD)
    IRS - check (for all but the Mustang and F-bodies)

Other than your preference of ergonomics, the 3-series has no tangible advantages over any of those cars. That leads back into your preferring an older model of the 3-series for the same reason someone else prefers the current model. Size, comfort, etc. is all enveloped in ergonomics.

And, yes, a new 330i optioned the way I would want it is well over 40 large MSRP. If I recall, when I optioned one out, it was $44K. :surprise: As a rule for me, I don't argue negotiated prices because even if one person can get a car for $1K below invoice doesn't mean the next person can. MSRP is the only true baseline to go on.
  • killerbunnykillerbunny Member Posts: 141
    For those of you blaming the TL (or the 325) for being too large, don't forget there is the TSX. :shades: