Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    AWD's great if your in wet/snowy/sloppy conditions but for some of us those conditions just don't occur.

True but even here in deep freeze Toronto I prefer RWD. We have a 530xi Touring because my wife will soon be the main driver (at least until I get my BMW335i). But in my case snow and ice will not hinder me from buying a RWD 335i this fall. Even if there was a 335xi AWD available I would not even consider it!
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Even if there was a 335xi AWD available I would not even consider it!"

I second that notion. Even though I live in the balmy tropical climes (compared to you) of southern New Hamster, I won't even consider AWD as an option, even if it is offered for free.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Well I'll take the one you would turn down. :)
    It's yours. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    Well hi neighbor. I guess you don't drive Temple Mt. (which lies on the main East-West road) much in the winter? I've been there a few times where the police stop traffic and only left AWD/4X4's go thru. The roads and my driveway are frequently a glacier for a few months. There is a reason that Subaru is the "state-car" around here.

As far as RWD and performance go with winter, I hardly ever see any sort of RWD performance car on the roads. I have a Firebird that if I want to drive in the winter would go from 245-tires down to 215's for snows. Seeing that I've had to drive thru snow deep enough to bog down a Subaru.

In a perfect road, sunny world RWD would be great. In this world I'll take all the traction and power I can get. Give me 8-powered wheels and 1,500hp, thank you! I want to travel in all weather and as much terrain as possible in my car. The Cayenne Turbo might be the right approach for me.

BTW - 1) if the BMW turbo is closer to 330hp that is somewhat respectable. I was only going by their listed specs. and thought that was a little low relative to what has been done before. 2) Lambo and Audi seem to have some fine-AWD performance cars, in addition to what others have mentioned.
    Greetings back at'cha! ;-)

While I only live a few miles from where I-93 crosses the MA-NH state line, I wouldn't exactly say it's flat around here. I live on a street with a 7.5% grade and my driveway is just over 10%. Still and all, my winter tire shod 530i happily plowed through an easy 8" of snow, right up our street and up our driveway with nary a wheel slip. That having been said, several of our neighbors across the street have driveways that exceed 30% and there is simply no way the 5er would climb those driveways, winter tires or not. At one of our monthly poker parties last winter I barely made it up on foot, and, ummmm, a few single malts later going down was even more fun. :blush:

Even though I've never managed to get any of our 2WD cars up any of those driveways when slippery, I don't feel too bad as all of the residents of those houses park their AWD Volvos, Audis and 4WD Dodge Rams and Jeeps on the street when the snow flies. Why? Well, a Jeep driver made it half way up one of the driveways last winter, lost traction and then had to get towed out of the front yard of the house across the street. Scary.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    with shipo (as i have for many years), blueguydotcom, & habitat when it comes to AWD. We beat the AWD vs. RWD topic on the 3 series board to death numerous times.

merc1: AWD is not even near the top of why I wouldn't buy an Audi.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

As far as RWD and performance go with winter, I hardly ever see any sort of RWD performance car on the roads.

There are many RWDs driving during Toronto winters. Even if I was driving in Greenland I would insist upon driving RWD (with good snow tires ofcourse)
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Looked on the Lexus website and it seems it is not available. Can anyone confirm this?
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    Dude, the manual tranny was NEVER an option on the IS350. Which is one of the reasons why many enthusiasts kept on bashing it...
    And given the continuing lack of availability my bet is that they'll keep on bashing it in the future too. Long live the three pedal stick shift. :shades:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • maxidrivemaxidrive Member Posts: 70
    Like Lexus cares what a few manual die-hards think!
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    They care that the press for their IS350 isn't all that hot.
  • jzalkinjzalkin Member Posts: 56
    "They care that the press for their IS350 isn't all that hot"

Every car has faults pointed out, but every article that about the Lexus seems to be really positive. Won CR and came in second in C&D. With the "off switch" for the electronics for 2007, it should get more positive reviews next go around. Only a biased person against the Lexus would say it that the press "isn't all that hot".

It just got ranked as one of the most appealing cars.
    link title
    How is that for good press.
    Almost every match up I've seen has the BMW (with just the basic 3.0) and the G35 beating out the soulless Lexus car. Autoweek just had one.

The more amusing matchup: the 07 G35 v. 07 e90 335 v. 07 IS350. Something tells me the 335 won't simply win that battle, it'll obliterate the Lexus.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    "Like Lexus cares what a few manual die-hards think!"

That sounds like something that a Buick executive would say.

You would think that a company with engineers capable of developing an active ventilated heated air-conditioned and variable speed butt massaging seat for the die hard old foggies would figure out that a so-called sport sedan with a slushbox only transmission choice is an oxymoron. Which is apparantly what they are, minus the oxy.
    Since there has been no overall competition yet of the 2007 - who knows. Bigger engine for the BMW and no more electronic nanies seems like a close battle to me. Since the last major C&D competition had the Lexus and BMW tied in points for first and both ahead of the last G35. Who knows what a new series will show.

Either way it seems to be close for the 3 cars, but that is something you will never admit. I guess you are bitter that the 3 was not on the list of most appealing cars. I bet if it was - you would be typing the results in big bold letters.
    "I guess you are bitter that the 3 was not on the list of most appealing cars."

So I guess we all owe you a debt of gratitude for pointing out the top car magazine in the world did not find the BMW 335i appealing.

I guess they didn't consult this before making their prognostications - where I notice Lexus just walked away in every category. Just like you *probably* wouldn't take any financial advice coming out of Popular Mechanics, I tend to really doubt the voracity of car advice and opinions coming out of financial magazines. Of course, everybody has an opinion.
    Contrary to your tone, I think the 3 is a fine car. Worthy of accolades. I also think that the Lexus is a great car and worthy as well. I was just pointing out your negative slant that portrays the BMW as perfection and the Lexus as nothing.

Considering all things being equal, the BMW get the nod (as it should due to it's longevity of being good. That is why the when it tied the Lexus, the BMW got top honors. The same just happened with the new G35.

It is funny how the car magazines you point out as giving the BMW a runaway victory keeps saying it is a tie and is is only broken by the smallest margins. I would not be shocked if the new G35 wins the next round as it beat the older 3 series in C&D.

My point is that all three excel and a buyer must determine whaat fits them best. The BMW for you, the Lexus for me. The difference is that I just don't have to convince myself that there is only one great option.

PS - I think some posters need to get perspective. One can appreciate all 3 cars. There are things that I like in my friend's new 5 series that I wish Lexus had emulated and there are things he liked better in my Lexus and wished he had. BMW has dynamics, Lexus wins in luxury, and the Infiniti is in between.
    "They care that the press for their IS350 isn't all that hot."

Like Lexus cares how the press feels since the car sells like hot cakes!
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    This might be the time to count a years worth of advertising pages for the two brands in said prominent car enthusiasts bible.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    "I also think that the Lexus is a great car and worthy as well. I was just pointing out your negative slant that portrays the BMW as perfection and the Lexus as nothing."

I haven't posted here in days other than last post. I don't have a negative opinion of the IS350/250. If someone gave one to me, I would happily keep it. However my purchase would happily be the 335i.

There are those, more *enthusiastic* than me, that thinks Lexus absolutely blew their chances, by not offering a manual, not being able to turn off the electronic nanny and not having better driving dynamics. That Lexus has a good engine and decent dynamics and great reliability is a positive draw to many.
    "Like Lexus cares how the press feels since the car sells like hot cakes!"

Define "hot cakes".

I see about 20 3-series cars on the road for every previous IS300.

The new IS350 has been clearly marketed at the "enthusiast", but fails to include a manual transmission option. The fact that less than 50% of 3-series are sold with manuals should not be misconstrued to suggest offering a manual isn't important. A reputation of a car within the sporting, enthusiast demographic has a halo effect on all sales. And with Lexus decision to promote a slushbox only transmission choice, they will never get serious enthusiasts talking positively about the IS.

When Lexus took on Mercedes in the luxury segment, they did a good job. Their approach in the sport sedan segment, with the IS and GS, leaves a lot to be desired, IMO. And it's not just the manual transmission, although that's an obvious omission. Drive a 5 series back to back with a GS and if you can't tell a big difference in driving dynamics, you need your butt-meter recalibrated. Or you need to buy a Lexus, because broken butt-meters are exactly what they appear to be aiming at.
    The bottom line is: Lexus is not out there to satisfy the so-called enthusiast. They are simply out there selling cars no matter how you going to spin it.

The sales number for the IS is around 5000-6000 units per month and compare to 3er's 10K+ I think so far the IS is doing a pretty good job sales-wise. The Rome is not built in one day, so does not the 3er nor the IS. It took BMW many decades to establish the 3er as the benchmark and it's likely that it'll take some time for others to knock it off (if they ever will).

One thing that frustrated me the most is that many Lexus owners can understand why others went for the 3er (pure driving dynamics) and why we went for the IS (balance between luxurious and performance). However, on the other end, the so-call pure enthusiasts (you know whom I am talking about) can never acknowledge that the IS is a capable competitor in this segment. I am going to say this one last time: driving dynamics may be the ultimate factor for you but that may not be the one for many other people, you know? Lighten up, look outside your own box then maybe you'll have a better perspective.

Y'all have a good day :)
    "can never acknowledge that the IS is a capable competitor in this segment"

That is certainly one opinion of a very broad topic, and I disagree with the conclusion. BMW continues to win accolades for it's driving dynamics, but each car in this segment has it's contribution and attributes that make it desirable.

In fact, I can't even remember anyone saying there is no compeition and *BMW is the one* and there is no other vehicle in this segment.

I'm surprised you didn't notice some of the most "enthusiastic" people in this forum, were always hoping the other manufacturers somehow *got it right* for a price much less than a BMW.
    "The bottom line is: Lexus is not out there to satisfy the so-called enthusiast."

Really? The IS was specifically designed by Lexus to battle the 3er in the "enthusiast" segment and it failed.

Even the FWD TL can out manuever the IS in slalom and lane passing. :confuse:
    "The bottom line is: Lexus is not out there to satisfy the so-called enthusiast."

"Really? The IS was specifically designed by Lexus to battle the 3er in the "enthusiast" segment and it failed."

YES, REALLY!! And Lexus didn't fail! I'm the living proof, I opted for the IS, like so many out there who test driven both cars. So YES, BMW has lost potential customers, including former BMW owners like myself! :P
    Lexus has stated the goal of the new IS is being exceeded so I would call it a success. How many version of the 3 series is there (Sedans, M, coupe, convertible). The IS has only one version (Sedan). It is selling 5k-6k a month - not bad for one variation. Lexus has even learned to stagger versions to keep interest up. How many BMW (current or potential) owners will visit Lexus when the IS500 comes?

Would it be better for some if it had a manual for the 350 - yes. Electronics can be turned off now - so it is a non issue. Would the BMW be better without I-drive and enhanced interior design. What about better reliability - sure.

Here is a question - how many BMW 3 series did they sell in its 2nd generation in the US? Not sure of answer myself, but it is amazing what Lexus (and Infiniti) is achieving in a short time frame.

Here is a statement I think holds true. The Lexus satisfies luxury owners and is also bringing in enthusiasts as well. Considering Gen 1 was not a sales success - there are a lack of repeat buyers. Most are from other car makers (like Audi for me). Imagine what will happen in Gen 3.

Considering it came down to the BMW & Lexus for me, I would say both have good products and that Lexus achieved its goal. I have never owned a Lexus (Audi, Ford Cobra, 300ZX, RX-7) and Lexus struck the right balance of Luxury, Driving Fun, and Overall Ownership Experience with the IS.

PS - Go read Club Lexus if you don't believe that enthusiasts are also buying it.
    I have no doubt that the vast majority of IS owners are enthusiastic about their car. As they should be.

But it appears to me that Lexus, with the IS and GS, directed a lot of their marketing towards the "driving" enthusiast. They even advertised the new GS with a new "6-speed transmission" (no reference to automatic) and showed a glimpse of somebody appearing to shift gears in BMW style winding Bavarian road commercial. Stupid me stopped by a dealership between meetings and learned that it was nothing more than a slushbox with a manual shift capability. I still drove it. Dissapointing is an understatement.

I have absolutely no problem giving Lexus credit where it is due. The make a superbly crafted automobile, with great reliability. Mercedes got a swift kick in the [non-permissible content removed] and we have all benefited by the increased competition. To that, I say "thanks Lexus", and I mean it.

Where I part company with some Lexus enthusiasts, is my belief the IS and GS could be significantly better at delivering on their marketing theme of going after the driving enthusiast. Like Honda did with the $32k S2000 that gave the $60k Porsche Boxster S a run for their money.

It seems that some would like to forgive Lexus their sporting deficiencies and substitute techno-goodies and interior design for driving dynamics in the comparison with the 3-series. Look, I understand trade offs. I bought a TL 6-speed because of the balance of attributes - at a great price. But you won't find me touting that it's comparable to the 3-series in driving dynamics. And, the TL comes with a 6-speed, Brembo brakes, and a sport suspension that, in spite of FWD, apparantly beats the IS350 in a the slalom.

So I'm not here to bash the IS350 for what it is. But I will continue to call a spade a spade about what it isn't. And I hope Lexus doesn't try to use a 1,000 watt 32 speaker Mark Levinson stereo to bribe more driving enthusiast's into succumbing to luxury as a substitue for what a serious sports sedan should be.
    "YES, BMW has lost potential customers, including former BMW owners like myself! :P"

Just like Lexus has lost customers to BMW by not delivering what BMW customers want. I'm sure MacDonalds wasn't happy when Burger King entered the fray. But when Burger King entered the fray there was a market. I didn't see Burger King trying to create the market. :)

The fact is a lot of people buy the L, the propeller, and the badge representing Infinti, because they want the vehicle behind the symbolism. Others will do their shopping and determine what's important to them in a car.
    Since the last major C&D competition had the Lexus and BMW tied in points for first and both ahead of the last G35. Who knows what a new series will show.Either way it seems to be close for the 3 cars, but that is something you will never admit. I guess you are bitter that the 3 was not on the list of most appealing cars. I bet if it was - you would be typing the results in big bold letters.

I wouldn't because I'm not very fond of my e90 330i. It's too quiet, too muted, too refined and too slow. Even with power, that won't make up for the car's lack of soul or energy. The G and IS were that much worse that I picked a car i found lackluster. ouch for Infiniti and Lexus. Cruddy car chosen only because the other options weren't even up to that low standard.
  • killerbunnykillerbunny Member Posts: 141
    Regarding The more amusing matchup: the 07 G35 v. 07 e90 335 v. 07 IS350.
    Something tells me the 335 won't simply win that battle, it'll obliterate the Lexus.

Something tells me the 335 is substaintially more expensive than the IS350. Actually, the 330 is already more expensive than IS350. With price shooting straight up, even an idiot can make cars faster. [Hint: put turbo on IS350]

As of now, BMW already obliterates the IS350 in the form of M3, why wait for the 335?
    Yes. Even BMW has decided to go with the Hyundai Sonata rear for its next generation 5 Series and they could have "borrowed" from anyone.

The MSRP of a IS350 and BMW335i are equal right here in Canada. That is why I bought the BMW335i.
    I waited years and years and years for such a relative bargain like the BMW335i.
    I wouldn't because I'm not very fond of my e90 330i. It's too quiet, too muted, too refined and too slow. Even with power, that won't make up for the car's lack of soul or energy. The G and IS were that much worse that I picked a car i found lackluster. ouch for Infiniti and Lexus. Cruddy car chosen only because the other options weren't even up to that low standard.

LOL,

there is just no pleasing you.

I've heard the Audi RS has a lot of soul. But the price of that soul is almost as dear as the soul of a Saint. I guess the soul you are seeking is within the body of a small hatchback like a GTI or Mazda3Speed. I like small hatchbacks myself but unfortunately for practical purposes I need something bigger.

Being practical really sucks.
    Something tells me the 335 is substaintially more expensive than the IS350. Actually, the 330 is already more expensive than IS350. W

Say what? An IS350 with sport package and xenons is in the mid 39k range. The same 330i, sp, leather, xenons was 40k range. But the BMW provides you with 4 years of free service - at least a $500 savings. I'd say that'd make it a wash. Except you can't really order an IS350: rather you wait months to see if Lexus will build your car. You can customer order a BMW, not so a Lexus. A BMW CCA rebate - available to any member of BMWCCA - nets you $500 too. Where's the savings of the IS350?

My 330i was 35.7k through European Delivery (msrp of 41k+). Hmm, that's a good 3k+ below the cost of the Lexus. Not including free maintenance.

Yeah the 335i is 1800 more expensive, so now you have a legit case for saying the 335 is more expensive than the IS350. But then again, considering the IS350 is outperformed in everything but straightline by the 06 330i, it seems to reason for better driving in all circumstances - acceleration, handling, roadfeel, slalom, etc, the 335i is worth it to someone who cares about performance.

Of course, ED on a 335i with my options will only be 37-38k. That's still cheaper than an IS350. :D

As of now, BMW already obliterates the IS350 in the form of M3, why wait for the 335?

It's an ugly coupe. It's overpriced. Lemme see, e46 body/ chassis. ugly/worthless 2 door coupe and 3.2 liter gas guzzler for 50k or get an 07 335i sedan for 38k ED and 20/28 mpg? That's a real easy call.

And for anyone about to bark they don't have time...whatever. 1 day off from work to get the car is not a big deal. You waste more time here in a month than that.
  • killerbunnykillerbunny Member Posts: 141
    Regarding The MSRP of a IS350 and BMW335i are equal right here in Canada. That is why I bought the BMW335i.
    I waited years and years and years for such a relative bargain like the BMW335i.

Interesting. I live in Canada too.

MSRP for IS350 is $49,000. Including auto transmission and heated vented leather seats.

MSRP for 335 is $51,600. With only mannual and FAKE leather.
    Auto costs $1700 and leather belong to a $4,200 package. I suppose they aren't giving a huge discount, since 335 is a new model. (Correct me if otherwise)

BTW, the BMW site listed 335's 0-100km acceleration to be 5.6s for manual and 5.8s for auto. You can argue it handles better than IS350. But the acceleration won't obliterates IS350. You still got to use M3 for that purpose.
    BTW, the BMW site listed 335's 0-100km acceleration to be 5.6s for manual and 5.8s for auto. You can argue it handles better than IS350. But the acceleration won't obliterates IS350. You still got to use M3 for that purpose.

BMW always posts convservative times. Read the reviews of the 335i coupe and you'll see they're getting sub-5 second 0-60 times. We're talking right in line with an M3. and unlike an M3 the 3.0TT engine can be had in a sedan (why do you guys keep bringing up that hideous coupe in a sedan forum?) and it's a sub 40k car. Furthermore chippers have already found the engine can be modded quite easily. So again, unlike the M3, there's engine tuning that can drastically increase the performance.

What about warranties? well, dinan always warranties bimmers with their chips. My guess, by 2008 we'll see a Dinan chip that will give the 3.0TT over 400 hp (it's already got over 330 hp/330 tq - it's underrated) and 400 ft-lbs torque. Probably to redline too, instead of the steep drop-off after 6k that's seen now.
    "The fact is a lot of people buy the L, the propeller, and the badge representing Infinti, because they want the vehicle behind the symbolism. Others will do their shopping and determine what's important to them in a car."

No, the fact is after shopping around a lot of people go with the IS simply because they like what they see and feel and it's a more reliable and refined vehicle. Also, they're extremely pleased with their car, unlike a large number of frustrated 3-Series owners. Remember those horrible run-flats and the stupid idrive? No wonder it didn't make the 10 most appealing vehicles! :P
    "Also, they're extremely pleased with their car, unlike a large number of frustrated 3-Series owners"

What frustrated 3 series owners. Can you please post a link to a credible body of evidence regarding that statement, rather than a few posts in a forum. I wonder why almost no Lexus didn't make editors most wanted? :)
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    This forum has assumed the persona of the High End Luxury Marques thread. Over there it was intensely Lexus vs Mercedes for years. Thankfully that has waned but it has caught fire here in the form of Lexus vs BMW. All's I can say is have fun and let me know if anyone is interested in enlisting in the CTS, that is, the Circular Talk Society.

;-)
    I bought a 335i sedan listed for MSRP 49,900 while the IS350 is listed 49K .

I love manual. I have no desire for leather.

My options:

sport package (essential) 2500
    graphite metallic paint (non-essential) 800

I got a 4 percent discount on the model. Not a great discount but I am happy enough.

So at least in Canada there is no major financial sacrifice in owning a 335i than a IS350.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Do you get discounted euro delivery prices for options also?

Thanks.
    Yeah. I called my salesguy and told him I would pay X dollars over ED munich invoice pricing. He called me back 10 minutes later and said his manager was cool with the deal.
    I am already enlisted ;)
    "What frustrated 3 series owners. Can you please post a link to a credible body of evidence regarding that statement, rather than a few posts in a forum."

Check the large number of postings in the BMW forum right here @ Edmunds.com.

"I wonder why almost no Lexus didn't make editors most wanted?"

Actual owner's experience is more meaningful and reliable than some editor's thoughts. Again, that's why the 3 didn't make the top 10 list of most appealing vehicles compiled from an owner survey. :P
    "Check the large number of postings in the BMW forum right here @ Edmunds.com"

Ummm, these posts mean nothing in terms of an overall user experience. Just like the large number of posts in the G35 problems forum doesn't mean the G35 isn't highly rated.

"Actual owner's experience is more meaningful and reliable than some editor's thoughts."

It is and isn't. I defintely seek out owners experience with regard to some aspects of the car, like reliability and dealer service. (But I don't ask about acceleration, ergonomics or gas mileage, because I drive the car differently and am built differently than the next guy) But when I am trying to figure out which model, I use the editors opinion as a validation to my own feelings. So again, why didn't the IS350 even make the editors list? You and I both know the answer.
    I think your missing the point. Lexus redesigned the IS to take on the 3 series to attract the enthusiast to purchase its product- specifically w/ its marketing campaign.

You obviously love the decision that you made and that is great. No buyer's remorse for you ;)

Personally, I test drove the IS350 (06) and was disappointed in the following things:
    No manual tranny option- one of the main drawbacks for this car IMHO
    No "real" feedback from the steering wheel
    Car didn't feel connected to the road

On the other hand, I was impressed by its raw power, luxury appointments and refined character. I was equally impressed by the exterior styling.

There is life beyond raw power and acceleration and the IS just IMO does not appeal to a true enthusiast oriented vehicle like the 3er or G.

BTW, I own a FWD TL and even that vehicle can outrun the IS in the slalom :P
    BTW, I own a FWD TL and even that vehicle can outrun the IS in the slalom

With the VDIM on that is. That'll change in the next go around featuring the 07' IS350.

Again, it's not like one can't shut down the VDIM on the 06' anyway...
    Of course, I should have realized by now that only the stuffs that are favorable to the 3 mean something to you. ;)
    With the VDIM on that is. That'll change in the next go around featuring the 07' IS350.

VDIM on or off won't change the soft suspension and rolly nature of the chassis.